Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

2 months after Rishi collapsed the CON leader market is static – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Attorney-General has approved the scrapping of large parts of the NI Protocol

Suella Braverman has told PM & senior ministers that EU is undermining Good Friday Agreement by creating trade barrier & fuelling civil unrest

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-can-rip-up-northern-ireland-protocol-attorney-general-rules-3xmcv8ws8

Should get the DUP back in the Tory tent if as polls predict there is a hung parliament at the next general election
    Did I not warn the other day that we cannot assume the Tories are non-coalitionable?

Johnson will find a way to bring unionists on board post 2024 hung election if that happens.

It may involve the moon on a stick again of course...

The DUP are heading for 7 seats, maybe 5 or 6 if the UUP get their act together or if there are funny deals in other constituencies.
    Could be enough if the Tories are just short of a majority
    Do you think EU will bottle it regarding threatened trade war, knowing the cards we hold?

A trade war would hurt UK government and cost them votes wouldn’t’ take it?
    If HY is quite sensibly in bed now, would anyone else like to tackle how damaging for UK government electorally a trade war with EU would be, and the possibility of it going there from this impasse?
    I think there’s a decent chance of a trade war, but I don’t see a downside for the Tories.

Keir can’t afford to “take the EU’s side”.

Negative economic effects can be blamed on Ukraine, or Covid, or Gordon Brown.
    Ireland: you’re still with us on Brexit?

Eastern Europe: you know the Brits are helping defend us from the Russians? Will you help too?

Ireland: oh God no. Ha! Not only will we not help, but we’ll morally look down on you for defending yourselves! Now, about Brexit…

https://twitter.com/jasonomahony/status/1524367707277336578
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,537
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Suella Braverman has told PM & senior ministers that EU is undermining Good Friday Agreement by creating trade barrier & fuelling civil unrest

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-can-rip-up-northern-ireland-protocol-attorney-general-rules-3xmcv8ws8

Should get the DUP back in the Tory tent if as polls predict there is a hung parliament at the next general election
    Did I not warn the other day that we cannot assume the Tories are non-coalitionable?

Johnson will find a way to bring unionists on board post 2024 hung election if that happens.

The DUP are heading for 7 seats, maybe 5 or 6 if the UUP get their act together or if there are funny deals in other constituencies.
    Do you think EU will bottle it regarding threatened trade war, knowing the cards we hold?

If HY is quite sensibly in bed now, would anyone else like to tackle how damaging for UK government electorally a trade war with EU would be, and the possibility of it going there from this impasse?
    The UK government will try to ensure with its right wing friends in the media that the blame ends up on the EU , that way it can be framed as the evil EU being ghastly to the UK and adding to the economic woes .

Labour seem reluctant to talk about Brexit and won’t dare say too much as they will then be portrayed as siding with the EU .

Johnson really doesn’t care how much damage he causes to NI, the UK economy and UK EU relations . All he cares about is remaining PM and everything else is immaterial .
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

I think there’s a decent chance of a trade war, but I don’t see a downside for the Tories.

That’s an interesting call. If trade war don’t have downsides for Tories only upsides like Labour put on the spot, what’s to stop the Tories pressing the button?

Probably more nuanced than that though? Starmer position could be what was wrong with the deal Boris created and signed and now torn up, is this war and falling out actually necessary? There’s the threat to NI peace deal forbidding land border isn’t there in the mix? And will the negative economic effects actually be that limited? for example, if it’s close to Christmas will there be “you won’t get your Christmas presents because of Boris unnecessary trade war” headlines. Will continental cheese and wines have to be smuggled into UK? Don’t we rely on importing their electricity, and our business and industry rely on a whole range of EU produced products obscure and innocent in their own way but can kibosh production of key things, much like the same why a federaliser plant closing exposed our lack of diversity on CO2 production?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Eastern Europe: you know the Brits are helping defend us from the Russians? Will you help too?

Ireland: oh God no. Ha! Not only will we not help, but we’ll morally look down on you for defending yourselves! Now, about Brexit…

Putting aside the sneery satire, this will certainly play a role.

Having said that, I personally think HMG should go down the A16 route rather than a unilateral disavowal as the latter looks very shonky.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,095
    edited May 2022
    vino said:

vino said:

vino said:

vino said:

A Tory MP claiming poor people cant budget or cook is total bollocks

In my experience the poorer you are the more price conscious you are and the more you know about food prices and buying the cheapest value items

If you claim £000's subsistence from the taxpayer not so much

Mansfield a Lab gain I think.

He's MP for Ashfield - popular
    I cant see Labour regaining any Red Wall seats in East Midlands

No chance in Mansfield, NE Derbyshire and very little chance in Ashfield and Bolsover

I think there is more chance of a further Tory Gain if Boris is still in place in Chesterfield
    Agree with you - if you saw Midlands Central News last Friday from Heanor/Ripley there was support for Boris from I assume former Labour voters
    Tories easily took Chesterfield based on the tallies in last years Derbyshire CC ward by ward analysis, By about 4,000 votes.
    Lab slightly rebounded since then but Tory Gain still odds on IMO
    Thanks - will bear that in mind
    Just found out the Tory MP for Ashfield was a Labour Councillor up to 2018.
    Yes - thought it was a good pick by the Tories - he is in the Ben Bradley school of tory - I live in Ashfield
    Anderson's speech has had a lot of likes on his constituents' Facebook group, including from some people I'm surprised by. He was very well dug in as a councillor in a mining area, plus has years of volunteering in CAB and working for the Lab MP as office manager (iirc).

So at present he should have a good feel for the constituency on this kind of thing.

For me, what could get him is that ... now having moved house following getting his top 5% salary ... he loses touch with the grassroots. He's stayed local to the N end of the constituency, but I don't think the Nottingham end is *that* much different.

There's not much room at present for Lab or Lib to start building via Councillors, as the Ashfield Independents are still very dominant.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725

Andy_JS said:

A Tory MP claiming poor people cant budget or cook is total bollocks

In my experience the poorer you are the more price conscious you are and the more you know about food prices and buying the cheapest value items

If you claim £000's subsistence from the taxpayer not so much

I don't agree. You can buy healthy food at very low prices almost everywhere. The idea that fruit and vegetables are expensive in poor areas is nonsense.
    Root vegetables are very expensive to cook apparently
    Turnip brioche!
    You are Malcolm King of Scots and I claim my prize.
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

It will tempt some of the RefUK vote back to the tories, and the moaning minnies who would be driven out by it have prolly already been driven out by Pig Dog's antics already and were never real tories in the first place because they thought about voting for Blair in 97, so all good.

That sound about right?
    But surely it relates to endgame and beyond? If you rip something up, do you know at that time what deal you will eventually up with. They have war gamed the negotiations and trade war, so have a path to what they need - that is what the DUP are happy to accept, Lord Frost and ERG happy to accept as a win and way forward, and how to switch a trade war off if on and getting too hot?

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Having said that, I personally think HMG should go down the A16 route rather than a unilateral disavowal as the latter looks very shonky.
    Yes - a unilateral disavowal would throw away the negotiating position.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056
    Wordle 327 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜

I’m a big thickie.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    The final point to make (with all PBers asleep) is that it’s not “UK vs Ireland”.

It’s more like “UK vs the Commission and France”, with the UK hoping to appeal to its Ukraine-era brownie points with the Scandis, Eastern Europe, and even the Americans.

Ireland materially just want the GFA observed and no border inside Ireland, and a cannier UK might have been cultivating them too.

The final point to make (with all PBers asleep) is that it’s not “UK vs Ireland”.

It’s more like “UK vs the Commission and France”, with the UK hoping to appeal to its Ukraine-era brownie points with the Scandis, Eastern Europe, and even the Americans.

Ireland materially just want the GFA observed and no border inside Ireland, and a cannier UK might have been cultivating them too.

With a “federaliser plant closing” in last post, I’m obviously not on top the mardy autocorrect being past my bed time (spent most last night on M1) but I can suspect a lot of “Boris trade war threatens your BBQ” “Boris trade war threatens your Christmas” “Boris trade war could turn out the lights” headlines Only good for opposition parties.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    carnforth said:

Wordle 327 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜

I’m a big thickie.

5/6 for me.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,397
    Happy birthday to our gracious host! To celebrate it, I ate some pineapple (after pizza, not on it) and located this cartoon: https://xkcd.com/386/

Which I hope someone will post here, soon. (I'm still learning how to comment here, or I would do it myself.)
    carnforth said:

Wordle 327 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜

I’m a big thickie.

Wordle 327 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    North Korea declares 'major national emergency' as first case of Covid-19 identified, state media reports

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/11/asia/north-korea-covid-omicron-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,531

People who drink instant coffee are scum.
    Worse than Brexiters.

Well, at least Angela Rayner's outed herself on here...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    MattW said:

carnforth said:

Wordle 327 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜

I’m a big thickie.

Wordle 327 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 327 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

North Korea declares 'major national emergency' as first case of Covid-19 identified, state media reports

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/11/asia/north-korea-covid-omicron-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

They've done tremendously well to keep it out so far.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    Remember Batley and Spen? This was the result at the local elections.

Lab 10,112
    Con 9,665
    LD 3,835
    Workers Party of Britain 2,563
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited May 2022
    Alex Cole-Hamilton, Leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats:

- "We have flipped a lot of communities who have traditionally voted Tory, they have now realised they get a better service with the Liberal Democrats."

Just as in southern England, the Lib Dem uptick in Scotland terrifies the Tories. But for a different reason: any significant SCon to SLD tactical unwind will see all SCon seats fall… not to the Lib Dems, but to the SNP.

If I was Douglas Ross I’d be doing everything in my power to attract these floating voters. Shame his bosses in London are doing everything they can to repel and disgust them.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Judging from the replies under that Tweet, the #FBPE mob really don’t like it on the rare occasion they’re on the receiving end of the sneery satire.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,102

RobD said:

MattW said:

Lee Anderson MP, who today said poor people forced to use foodbanks 'cannot cook or budget properly' claimed £222,000 in expenses in 2020/21 - including £4,100 on travel and 'subsistence'

https://twitter.com/LiamThorpECHO/status/1524418659485208577?s=20&t=-z3GB3vICjAhH21Ett5IAA

Daily MIrror trying a bit too hard there - they themselves publish articles whinging about a generation of 18-35 year olds who can't cook. I'm not sure that 'he's one of the 150 (?) most expensive MPs' is much of an attack.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-raising-generation-young-adults-9700304

Also the small matter that 200k of it is staff or pffoce accomodation.
    It's why nothing ever gets done about issues like these, because either side just makes it toxic. It's a valid point, there should be more emphasis on this in schools.
    This is the thing. There is a genuine problem about the number of adults today who have little or no cooking skills. But it has F-all to do with poverty or food banks. Indeed, given that food banks don't deliver via Just Eat or Deliveroo, those using them are more likely to have the basic cooking skills he is bemoaning the lack of.

The MP is being a tosser, conflating two separate issues and making it much harder as a result to deal with either of them sensibly.
    I'm not going to post on here much if at all again but this is exactly the point. It's the problem with culture wars at the moment and why I think it will take years to repair the damage that Cummings-Johnson have inflicted on this country.

I did come on the forum yesterday evening and saw the kinds of posts and people posting them and knew it wasn't the place for me, so I exited without comment.

That's why I generally post when I do. It's not flaming. It's not early morning trolling as "Applicant" would have you believe. It's called an opinion.

Adieu. x
    edited May 2022
    Just noticed that someone called John Michael Smithson was standing for the LDs in the Bentham & Ingleton division of North Yorkshire in the local elections. Random fact.
    edited May 2022
    I was interested in the comment that root vegetables are expensive to cook. I use them a lot, and they pretty much do always involve roasting in some form or lengthy pot boiling. It's a very good point that it's an expensive ingredient.

As Richard Tyndall so succinctly put it, the MP was being a tosser. It's the way of it with many of his fellow tory MPs now.

And why I lament the state of this country. It has been ruined by them. In their hell-bent evangelical fervour they killed Britain.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    Heathener said:

I was interested in the comment that root vegetables are expensive to cook. I use them a lot, and they pretty much do always involve roasting in some form or lengthy pot boiling. It's a very good point that it's an expensive ingredient.

As Richard Tyndall so succinctly put it, the MP was being a tosser. It's the way of it with many of his fellow tory MPs now.

And why I lament the state of this country. It has been ruined by them. In their hell-bent evangelical fervour they killed Britain.

I am sorry you are so disenchanted with our country but then that is your choice and to be honest I do think it is good for people to be able to cook, not least because McDonald's and takeaways are not healthy foods in excess

I was unable to cook until I promised my wife 13 years ago when I retired that I would cook for her and so I have ever since and to be fair it is not difficult to learn to cook at least the basics
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

MattW said:

carnforth said:

Wordle 327 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜

I’m a big thickie.

Wordle 327 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 327 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 327 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
    ⬛⬛🟩🟩⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,458

Heathener said:

I am sorry you are so disenchanted with our country but then that is your choice and to be honest I do think it is good for people to be able to cook, not least because McDonald's and takeaways are not healthy foods in excess

I was unable to cook until I promised my wife 13 years ago when I retired that I would cook for her and so I have ever since and to be fair it is not difficult to learn to cook at least the basics
    No-one is saying we should not encourage people to cook!

Those really on the poverty line are not having loads of takeaways.

There is a significant group above the poverty line to average wage and beyond who do have too many takeaways and would benefit most from better cooking and budgeting skills.

The criticisms are - mandatory linking of cooking classes to getting food for the desperate and that for the desperate the reality is that they do not have enough money, regardless of cooking skills.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    @Heathener, as you're here, a small warning. Doxxing is on the list of "do not do".
    Pulpstar said:

I'm hoping to go skiing there next year.
    Heathener said:

To be fair, your pal Tony had a big role in the killing of Britain.
    edited May 2022
    48% are not confident Starmer followed covid rules

And 28% think Boris did !!!!

https://twitter.com/IpsosUK/status/1524615351752814593?t=6pDwOCJSkgVr17PV9THq3w&s=19
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I have a No Holidays in Dictatorships policy. It always surprises me how many people are willing to brag about holidays in dictatorships. I assume it is mainly because the general population is unaware of how repulsive the regimes are in certain popular tourist destinations. But North Korean skiing is a new one on me. Personally, I’d prefer a fortnight in Milton Keynes.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,767

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I have a No Holidays in Dictatorships policy. It always surprises me how many people are willing to brag about holidays in dictatorships. I assume it is mainly because the general population is unaware of how repulsive the regimes are in certain popular tourist destinations. But North Korean skiing is a new one on me. Personally, I’d prefer a fortnight in Milton Keynes.
    One day to get in, thirteen to find the way out?
    I'm just about to have a cup of INSTANT coffee.

Yum yum yum.

Yum yum yum.

I don't like being a snob about food & drink, or indeed anything. But instant coffee is a misnomer. It's certainly instant something.

The one thing it definitely is not, is coffee.
    edited May 2022
    HMG boosting Ynys Mon not only with nuclear power station but Holyhead to become a freeport

I expect Virginia Crosby will be delighted and hope to retain the seat in GE24

Freeport is coming to Wales with Holyhead in fight to secure island zone

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/freeport-coming-wales-holyhead-fight-23932734#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
    edited May 2022

Heathener said:

To be fair, your pal Tony had a big role in the killing of Britain.
    Actually I don't disagree with that entirely. In a different kind of way and, unintentionally, he did start the rot.

To be fair to him, there was a lot of social resetting needed in 1997. The Nasty Party had become a thing of ridicule and there was a national collective sigh of relief when the "bastards" were booted out.

But in the midst of Cool Britannia, Anthony 'call me Tony,' Blair lost sight of the parts of the UK which were not part of his Metropolitan European elitism. They fell into decay.

We blame the right wing tory party for Brexit but in my opinion the seeds were sown by Tony Blair's New Labour.

p.s. I've never liked Tony Blair so he's certainly not my 'pal' and I marched against the Iraq war.
    rcs1000 said:

@Heathener, as you're here, a small warning. Doxxing is on the list of "do not do".

Yep I've acknowledged that and will comply.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    I watched Gove’s funny voices video but also the 10 mins he spent with ITV an hour later, where he danced on a pin head arguing why VAT on domestic energy was a virtuous tax in favour of the poor. His lips had the appearance of someone who either had far too much sun without sun cream, or else were dehydrated from the previous night’s refreshments. Also quite surprised no one advised him to fix his Grange Hill tie. What would Mrs Cameron say!

Gotta say Labour should be going for broke. Ditch Starmer and get in a human capable of kicking them over the line to a majority. Streeting seems the obvious person to me. The next election campaign might be a peculiarly different one for the Tories, where the Cabinet has become so tarnished by being so full of weirdos, that campaign managers do everything they can to put the main man and by then Elder Statesman front and centre.
    moonshine said:

I watched Gove’s funny voices video but also the 10 mins he spent with ITV an hour later, where he danced on a pin head arguing why VAT on domestic energy was a virtuous tax in favour of the poor. His lips had the appearance of someone who either had far too much sun without sun cream, or else were dehydrated from the previous night’s refreshments. Also quite surprised no one advised him to fix his Grange Hill tie. What would Mrs Cameron say!

Gotta say Labour should be going for broke. Ditch Starmer and get in a human capable of kicking them over the line to a majority. Streeting seems the obvious person to me. The next election campaign might be a peculiarly different one for the Tories, where the Cabinet has become so tarnished by being so full of weirdos, that campaign managers do everything they can to put the main man and by then Elder Statesman front and centre.

I agree.

I think that's one of the reasons I'm so depressed at the moment.

Labour should be MILES ahead. That they are little more than neck and neck is sickening to me.

p.s. But not Streeting.
    Heathener said:

Yum yum yum.

I don't like being a snob about food & drink, or indeed anything. But instant coffee is a misnomer. It's certainly instant something.

"I don't like being a snob about food & drink" ....

Immediately followed by being a snob. ;)

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

So you wish to punish ordinary people for their inability to pick a leader?

Wow.

I mean, I could understand if you said "well, I won't go to the US because they elected someone I disapprove of". But it's not like the North Koreans got to choose.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    tlg86 said:

MattW said:

carnforth said:

Wordle 327 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜

I’m a big thickie.

Wordle 327 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 327 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 327 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
    ⬛⬛🟩🟩⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 327 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

Yum yum yum.

Tbh, I don't know how people tell the difference given they both taste vile to me.
    moonshine said:

It's quite pleasant that over the last two years everyone has come to agree with what I've been saying about Gove and Cummings for years.

Now for their lower profile but equally arrogant and useless acolyte Sam Freedman...
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,722
    edited May 2022
    Jonathan said:

tlg86 said:

MattW said:

carnforth said:

Wordle 327 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜

I’m a big thickie.

Wordle 327 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 327 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 327 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
    ⬛⬛🟩🟩⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 327 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Good morning all. Very spring or early summer like here today. Quite cheering.

There's a World version (Worldle ..... worldle.teuteuf.fr) where one is given an outline map of a country and one has 6 shots at determining which country it is. Today's was Ukraine, but it included Crimea. Nowhere else looks like that, and we've had a map on the TV pretty well every day since February.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,972
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Wow.

I mean, I could understand if you said "well, I won't go to the US because they elected someone I disapprove of". But it's not like the North Koreans got to choose.
    A boozy beach holiday in Saudi Arabia is the best holiday ever.

I loved it.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Wow.

I loved it.
    Are you trying to Makkah fool out of this site?

HMG boosting Ynys Mon not only with nuclear power station but Holyhead to become a freeport

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/freeport-coming-wales-holyhead-fight-23932734#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare

I've never really understood the purpose of freeports in countries like the UK. I mean, if you're in a country with high tariffs, cheap labour and expensive regulation, then a freeport offers lots of advantages.

But if you're in a country with low tariffs, expensive labour and average regulation, then what's the benefit.
    edited May 2022
    On topic

Great tortoise media deepdive podcast on Rishi’s difficulties over the past couple of months.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-slow-newscast/id1487320403

https://www.tortoisemedia.com/audio/downfall-twenty-days-that-did-for-rishi-sunak/
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Wow.

I loved it.
    It's all Shi'ite if you ask me.

Yum yum yum.

Ah, you have a Nespresso machine.
  • UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 775
    Heathener said:

I am interested in his claim that you can do it for 30p a day. I'm not sure that even Jack Munroe's recipes are at that. Unless you're bulk buying, cooking an insane amount and having very thin soup every day for a month.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,462
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Wow.

I didn't know such a thing as N Korean ski holidays existed, but having looked it up it looks very dull. Top resort is 10 runs and the bits I can see looks very boring. I assume you are going for the overall N Korean experience and not spending a week skiing?
    edited May 2022
    Me on Sunday: No 2022 UK recession.

Today: The economy contracted in March as the war in Ukraine and rising prices hit confidence.

Month-on-month gross domestic product fel 0.1 per cent, from the 0.1 per cent growth recorded in February, according to data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS). City economists had forecast flat growth

In the three months to the end of March the economy grow 0.8 per cent, against expectations for 1 per cent growth. This is down from growth of 1.3 per cent in the final quarter of last year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-economy-contracts-in-march-jp7v6h92n
    rcs1000 said:

Yum yum yum.

:smiley:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Wow.

I loved it.
    It's time I Riyadh the site of these awful puns.

Have a good morning.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Wow.

I loved it.
    Nice and sunni here
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    NEW: GDP figures see dramatic drop to -0.1% in March.

This adds to the worries families already face from the cost of living crisis.

If the PM and Cabinet come back from their Away Day in Staffordshire today with anything less than an Emergency Budget, they will have failed.

https://twitter.com/RachelReevesMP/status/1524632883155156994
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,153
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

The week after NI itself voted by a big majority to keep the Protocol.
    They didn't, most would be happy to remove the Irish Sea border as long as no hard border in Ireland
    That is a flaming blatant fib, withotu evidence, repeated only hours after you were corrected after perpetrating it. It's only true in that a majority in NI voted to have no brexit at all, which I presume you do not consider a realistic question to ask in terms of options now.
    UK trade deficit widened to a record 5.3% of GDP in Q1 2022 .. https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1524633659738923009/photo/1
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,081
    rcs1000 said:

Yum yum yum.

Nespresso is great. Hassle free and great coffee, why anyone buys a takeaway coffee from Starbucks except when travelling puzzles me, but they do.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited May 2022
    Scott_xP said:

If the PM and Cabinet come back from their Away Day in Staffordshire today with anything less than an Emergency Budget, they will have failed.

Dramatic drop? What was the figure before?
    edited May 2022
    You can ski in Israel and Iran and Morocco and South Africa: all have ski resorts.

That line, 'and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas' was complete bollocks.
    rcs1000 said:

I've never really understood the purpose of freeports in countries like the UK. I mean, if you're in a country with high tariffs, cheap labour and expensive regulation, then a freeport offers lots of advantages.

But if you're in a country with low tariffs, expensive labour and average regulation, then what's the benefit.
    Looks good to people such as BigG.
    I'm slowly filling in the Labour GE target list using the local election results. So far it looks like the party's hitting around 50% of them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jKkG-6we5fYeaAuUY-M1DPdmHz-_RcvWC_y7ErCrBL0/edit#gid=0
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Ah, should have looked up thread. :)

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a month in Airdrie, mind.
    edited May 2022
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Yum yum yum.

Nespresso is great. Hassle free and great coffee, why anyone buys a takeaway coffee from Starbucks except when travelling puzzles me, but they do.
    As mentioned yesterday, the pods are expensive and, critically, they use plastic.

And whilst I'm on that subject I'm with Deborah Meaden. The answer to the plastic problem is not recyclable plastic it's to STOP USING PLASTIC!

Bean to cup every day for me but I often start the day with a cafetiere so as not to wake other members of the household. My De Longhi Eletta bean to cup machine sounds like a tunnel drill. But it's great: it does everything for me. I stick the water in and it grinds the beans, makes the coffee and dumps the grounds into a container ready for composting. I clean it maybe once a month which takes 5 minutes.

Oh and Lavazza. I've tried everything else but I always come back to Lavazza.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,462
    Heathener said:

You can ski in Israel and Iran and Morocco and South Africa: all have ski resorts.

That line, 'and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas' was complete bollocks.

You can ski in Cyprus as well, but is it any good? Ok if you are learning but pointless after that.
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Yum yum yum.

As mentioned yesterday, the pods are expensive and, critically, they use plastic.

And whilst I'm on that subject I'm with Deborah Meaden. The answer to the plastic problem is not recyclable plastic it's to STOP USING PLASTIC!

Bean to cup every day for me but I often start the day with a cafetiere so as not to wake other members of the household. My De Longhi Eletta bean to cup machine sounds like a tunnel drill. But it's great: it does everything for me. I stick the water in and it grinds the beans, makes the coffee and dumps the grounds into a container ready for composting.

I don’t think Nespresso pods are plastic.
    edited May 2022
    Controversial post…..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61414785

“Labour MP Stella Creasy reveals rape threat while at Cambridge University”

With respect to Ms Creasy, and all the other women (people) who have suffered sexual violence….

I just don’t think this kind of story/revelation is politically smart. It smacks of naval gazing.

You’re trying to convince the country to elect you as a party of government. To stand up for other people. To govern.

This is a distraction. I think they think it humanises them. I think it diminishes them.

No offence intended. Yes I do think sexual violence is a serious problem that needs to be tackled properly etc etc.

Just don’t make it so much about YOU ffs. I don’t think Labour are ready for government. They need a grid and a media strategy and 100% focus on the VOTERS.
    Andy_JS said:

I'm slowly filling in the Labour GE target list using the local election results. So far it looks like the party's hitting around 50% of them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jKkG-6we5fYeaAuUY-M1DPdmHz-_RcvWC_y7ErCrBL0/edit#gid=0

Mid-term.....
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016
    Morning all! Several jaw-dropping stories I have read on twitter:
    1) Dartford Tories photographed laughing and grinning as they open a foodbank. Then photograohed tucking into sandwiches and cherry bakewells as the celebratory buffet
    2) Matt "I love parmos me!" Vickers car-crash session with Iain Dale on LBC. Defends the Ashfield MP and his "people are foodbanks are thick, I got a chef to feed people on 30p a day", then agrees with another panelist that after the energy rises thats no longer possible. Then says the people of NI voted against the protocol and Iain Dale has to repeatedly remind him that he's factually wrong. Then he says people voted Sinn Fein in protest of the protocol despite Sinn Fein supporting it.

I know we get told that we shouldn't call Tories thick as mince. But...
    RobD said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Yum yum yum.

Bean to cup every day for me but I often start the day with a cafetiere so as not to wake other members of the household. My De Longhi Eletta bean to cup machine sounds like a tunnel drill. But it's great: it does everything for me. I stick the water in and it grinds the beans, makes the coffee and dumps the grounds into a container ready for composting.

I think you're sort-of right. But ...

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/may/27/nespresso-sustainability-transparency-recycling-coffee-pods-values-aluminum

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,722
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

They didn't, most would be happy to remove the Irish Sea border as long as no hard border in Ireland
    That is a flaming blatant fib, withotu evidence, repeated only hours after you were corrected after perpetrating it. It's only true in that a majority in NI voted to have no brexit at all, which I presume you do not consider a realistic question to ask in terms of options now.
    To be fair Mr C., no Brexit at all would mean no border in the Irish Sea and no hard border in Ireland, wouldn't it.
    A situation preferred by the majority in N. Ireland.

Is Boris hoping to keep seats through buying each of them off with tens of billions of Government subsidy?

Hmmmmm.

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

To be fair Mr C., no Brexit at all would mean no border in the Irish Sea and no hard border in Ireland, wouldn't it.
    A situation preferred by the majority in N. Ireland.
    That's exactly my point - but it is not an option permitted by HYUFD's favoured minority.
    Die Linke in Germany are going around blaming Boris Johnson for torpedoing a ceasefire agreement in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/martinwaltherdd/status/1524460823279812609

https://twitter.com/schwarzseherin/status/1524497617606086657
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Holyhead and Ynys Mon need the benefit of a freeport which has been agreed with both HMG and the Welsh government

1) Dartford Tories photographed laughing and grinning as they open a foodbank. Then photograohed tucking into sandwiches and cherry bakewells as the celebratory buffet
    2) Matt "I love parmos me!" Vickers car-crash session with Iain Dale on LBC. Defends the Ashfield MP and his "people are foodbanks are thick, I got a chef to feed people on 30p a day", then agrees with another panelist that after the energy rises thats no longer possible. Then says the people of NI voted against the protocol and Iain Dale has to repeatedly remind him that he's factually wrong. Then he says people voted Sinn Fein in protest of the protocol despite Sinn Fein supporting it.

But why why why aren't Labour 20% ahead? It's hitting me hard.

I think Sir Keir, nice chap though he is, needs to go. We need someone from a working class background who represents a northern constituency.

If we don't win back 'some' of the red wall seats we're doomed to more of this ghastly culture war: stoking the flames of hatred in order to win power.

edited May 2022
    RobD said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Yum yum yum.

Some of the supermarket Nespresso compatible pods are, and some are compostable, but the original Nespresso ones are aluminium, and I always use the free Nespresso recycling service.

The amount of single use platics at work horrifies me. Everything is disposeable nowadays.
  • HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

I entirely agree.

That is what A16 is there for.

He is inviting us also to consider the conclusion that he is simply out and out lying. I don't know the Honourable Gentleman enough to know which option is more likely.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

If you want to see a dramatic drop, look at the Bitcoin price. Down 14% in the past 24 hours, and 32% in the past week.

Is Boris hoping to keep seats through buying each of them off with tens of billions of Government subsidy?

Hmmmmm.
    Or simply making promises in the air. Like promising to imprison the RNLI for rescuing folk from overseas. And look what happened with that.
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Yum yum yum.

Some of the supermarket Nespresso compatible pods are, and some are compostable, but the original Nespresso ones are aluminium, and I always use the free Nespresso recycling service.

The amount of single use platics at work horrifies me. Everything is disposeable nowadays.
    Yes and to be fair to myself I did say that they 'use plastic' not that they 'are' plastic. And clearly Nespresso are making big efforts on this.

With you 100% here.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,269
    Ferry to Samos. Colombians tango on the deck. The sea, the sea
    Anyway I'm off out to work. I've surprised myself by sticking around.

:wink:

xx
    edited May 2022

Andy_JS said:

Mid-term.....
    Yes, and a lot are going Green or LD. Labour had an unspectacular night last week, but the one thing that was clear was that it was a very bad night for the Tories.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016

- "We have flipped a lot of communities who have traditionally voted Tory, they have now realised they get a better service with the Liberal Democrats."

Just as in southern England, the Lib Dem uptick in Scotland terrifies the Tories. But for a different reason: any significant SCon to SLD tactical unwind will see all SCon seats fall… not to the Lib Dems, but to the SNP.

If I was Douglas Ross I’d be doing everything in my power to attract these floating voters. Shame his bosses in London are doing everything they can to repel and disgust them.

I'm very pleased with the progress we have made in Banff and Buchan Coast. Taking seats in Fraserburgh and Peterhead shows there is opposition to the idiot Duguid. But yes, come the general election the challenge is replace the mince with something more palatable, and if that means SNP then fine.
    “Keir Starmer is Mr Rules.”

Lisa Nandy right now on BBC Good Morning Scotland.

Classic hostage to fortune.

You missed this gem, from the Attorney General justifying breaking International Law thread

“There’s mountains of evidence that there’s a trade barrier down the middle of our country.”

Yes. BoZo put it there!!!

Die Linke in Germany are going around blaming Boris Johnson for torpedoing a ceasefire agreement in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/martinwaltherdd/status/1524460823279812609

https://twitter.com/schwarzseherin/status/1524497617606086657

France and Germany's role over Ukraine has been shocking, full of self interest, and potentially creating an enormous split within th EU which their fan club on here remain in denial

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Holyhead and Ynys Mon need the benefit of a freeport which has been agreed with both HMG and the Welsh government
    Funny it's in a Tory constituency. And you might want to consider HMG's record on achieving such things. Especially as they are so incompetent they're ending up scrapping import controls because they can't think how to do it. Which reduces the point of a freeport even more.

And there is this thing called the 'sea'. With something called the 'tide' pushing it to and fro. Right on the doorstep. And they want to repeat the Hinckley fiasco there? Pull the other one.
    Heathener said:

The Southern Hemisphere ski season is in our summer, not Christmas time.

There is often snow on Kilimanjaro all year though.

Hmmmmm.

I'm very pleased with the progress we have made in Banff and Buchan Coast. Taking seats in Fraserburgh and Peterhead shows there is opposition to the idiot Duguid. But yes, come the general election the challenge is replace the mince with something more palatable, and if that means SNP then fine.
    Er, point of order, nothing wrong with mince. It's positively sentient when cooked with shallots, as opposed to the ScoTories at present.
    edited May 2022
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

The Southern Hemisphere ski season is in our summer, not Christmas time.

There is often snow on Kilimanjaro all year though.
    Are you sayin’ Band Aid lied?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2gExopm7w4
This discussion has been closed.