Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

2 months after Rishi collapsed the CON leader market is static – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043

Read Lee Anderson's whole speech. Seemed pretty plausible to me. But if course to some posters here as he's a Conservative he must be inherently evil.

There is a lot of truth in what he says and if you see the queues at McDonald's drive through and the number of home takeaways being delivered, the food is not healthy and is expensive compared to cooking at home

Mind you I expect many do cook at home anyway
    His problem is that perhaps he didn't see that his argument would be present as follows. Perhaps he wants the publicity?

• EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    nico679 said:

I wish reporters would just ask the DUP what they thought would happen with Brexit ?

Wtf did they support that and even worse a hard Brexit?

The suspicion is they wanted a hard border between NI and Ireland .

They want a hard border, their GB allies want Brexit to still be a thing, each needs the other.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

kjh said:

Tim Farron funny on Twitter re Hove's weird performance this morning.

'Whatevet Michael had this morning for breakfast I'm sure the Lib Dems are in favour of legalising it...'.

Hovis?
    Hovemeister
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    Suella Braverman was made Attorney-General solely to supply Boris Johnson with cover to flout the law. Of all the PM’s appointments, hers has been the most egregious.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056
    vino said:

My breakfast was 3 Wheat Biscuits (Morrisons 24 pack - 74p)
    A small portion of milk (Morrisons 2pint semi - skinned 99p)
    So 3x3.1 = 9p plus say 5p for milk = 14p

I salute anyone who can stick non-weetabix weetabix. Or any wheat biscuit with that little milk.

I had four poached eggs (66p) on two slices of toast (10p). Keep the yolks soft to avoid the need for butter. Salt generously. 360 cals.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Attorney-General has approved the scrapping of large parts of the NI Protocol

Suella Braverman has told PM & senior ministers that EU is undermining Good Friday Agreement by creating trade barrier & fuelling civil unrest

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-can-rip-up-northern-ireland-protocol-attorney-general-rules-3xmcv8ws8

Should get the DUP back in the Tory tent if as polls predict there is a hung parliament at the next general election
    Did I not warn the other day that we cannot assume the Tories are non-coalitionable?

Johnson will find a way to bring unionists on board post 2024 hung election if that happens.

It may involve the moon on a stick again of course...

The DUP are heading for 7 seats, maybe 5 or 6 if the UUP get their act together or if there are funny deals in other constituencies.
    Could be enough if the Tories are just short of a majority
    Do you think EU will bottle it regarding threatened trade war, knowing the cards we hold?

A trade war would hurt UK government and cost them votes wouldn’t’ take it?
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

HYUFD said:

Betting ?

Word tonight Ben Wallace is lined up to become head of NATO in the autumn

Not PM then

Boris is secure until the next general election now anyway
    But just in case he is moving his current main rival well away from Westminster.

:lol:
    When George Robertson became NATO general secretary it caused a by-election in Hamilton South. Labour held on by 556 votes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Hamilton_South_by-election
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

kjh said:

'Whatevet Michael had this morning for breakfast I'm sure the Lib Dems are in favour of legalising it...'.

Hovis?
    Bloody spell checker. I'm sure it is getting more arrogant these days. Obviously Gove.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Not I. It was stupid from Labour - and it will be stupid from Rishi.

If you go for a windfall tax in the good times, is the Govt. going to be there to bail out every company when they are going bust?

No. It's a money grab "because they can/are desperate". It is not in any way a coherent strategy.
    Good times?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534
    EPG said:

nico679 said:

I wish reporters would just ask the DUP what they thought would happen with Brexit ?

They want a hard border, their GB allies want Brexit to still be a thing, each needs the other.
    True . Johnson will foment trouble in NI to start another Brexit drama all to save his own skin .

Jonathan said:

If you go for a windfall tax in the good times, is the Govt. going to be there to bail out every company when they are going bust?

No. It's a money grab "because they can/are desperate". It is not in any way a coherent strategy.
    Good times?
    If you are an oil company with more cash than they know what to do with it.

Even previous Tory Chancellors have recognised windfall taxes have a part to play
    EPG said:

nico679 said:

Do they want a hard border?

• vinovino Posts: 151
    carnforth said:

vino said:

I salute anyone who can stick non-weetabix weetabix. Or any wheat biscuit with that little milk.

I had four poached eggs (66p) on two slices of toast (10p). Keep the yolks soft to avoid the need for butter. Salt generously. 360 cals.
    I love eggs - not a milk man only drink black coffee the stronger the better - haven't had a cup of tea in over 50 years
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    HYUFD should be applauded for his honesty. The UK government’s decision to flout the rule of law, trigger trade sanctions and imperil peace in Northern Ireland is all about getting the DUP on board to support a possible minority Tory government after the next election.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    vino said:

Plus an espresso from your £2,000 state of the art coffee machine?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Will laugh if Wallace heads to NATO.

If I was Truss or Hunt I would be checking underneath the car every time I headed out.
    just to add I don't like butter either!! - only have it on toast
    Only if it happened BJO.

And there is a zero chance of the cabinet supporting a windfall tax, firstly after the last couple of months explaining the damage it would do to vital investment, it would be too much a drop of credibility. But more importantly it makes Starmer the winner, will instantly make Starmer and Labour appear leading on ideas and innovation and the Tories bereft of ideas having to follow.

In the same link above it has Wikipedia rejecting Daily Mail as editors becuase they make too much up. 😃 So can we even believe this front page story? More likely it’s a standard request from chancellor to cost all the options for an options paper being spun ridiculously by a newspapers editor team that’s slipping into some form of crisis. Not least because they have made Amanda Plattel look very much like my mother and splayed that on the front page so I had to make a double take. 🫣
    vino said:

16p left for rest of the day then.

I recommend half a pack of ALDI midget Gems (14.5p)

Can last several hours if you just suck
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089

If I was Truss or Hunt I would be checking underneath the car every time I headed out.

There are rumours about moving Truss to the Treasury after Sunak is dumped.

Which will probably have the same effect on her prospects of promotion.

Jonathan said:

Good times?
    If you are an oil company with more cash than they know what to do with it.

Even previous Tory Chancellors have recognised windfall taxes have a part to play
    When did the Tories do a windfall tax like this?

vino said:

nah - come on I'm an ex council lad - only Camp for me

Cummings tweeted some gossip today about a plan for an “emergency budget”, and the inactivity so far on cost of living to be blamed on Sunak.

So yes, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him kneecapped.
    Ah. Ok. It's not a war, it's a turbo military operation...

Francis Scarr
    @francis_scarr
    ·
    1h
    Interesting from Vladimir Solovyov tonight:

He says the huge Victory Day turnout was "such a mandate" for Putin that he can count on Russians' full support if he shifts the "special military operation" up to a "turbo military operation"

"The people are ready!"

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1524493229697245185
    dixiedean said:

The other point is that the Tories are pointing to areas they went forward in. Such as Newcastle-under-Lyme, Nuneaton and Hartlepool.
    That's all very creditable. But they already hold those places in Westminster.
    They went badly backwards in a lot of other areas they need to hold. Cumbria 5 seats, Somerset 5, Barnet 3. West Yorkshire and Wales., cba but a fair few. Surrey all 10.
    Those begin to add up.
    And yes, there's swingback and mid-terms. But hands up who thinks it's going to improve any time soon.
    An 80 majority is super tough to overturn in one go. But it's their efficiency of vote which seems to be wearing off. The Tories maxxed out on it since 2015.

Compared to 2021 there was a swing to Labour in Hartlepool.

Only if it happened BJO.

And there is a zero chance of the cabinet supporting a windfall tax, firstly after the last couple of months explaining the damage it would do to vital investment, it would be too much a drop of credibility. But more importantly it makes Starmer the winner, will instantly make Starmer and Labour appear leading on ideas and innovation and the Tories bereft of ideas having to follow.

In the same link above it has Wikipedia rejecting Daily Mail as editors becuase they make too much up. 😃 So can we even believe this front page story? More likely it’s a standard request from chancellor to cost all the options for an options paper being spun ridiculously by a newspapers editor team that’s slipping into some form of crisis. Not least because they have made Amanda Plattel look very much like my mother and splayed that on the front page so I had to make a double take. 🫣
    So on Wiki and Daily Mail we are not going to see "roasting temperatures for rest of May"

Bugger

vino said:

16p left for rest of the day then.

I recommend half a pack of ALDI midget Gems (14.5p)

Like it!
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Hovis?
    Bloody spell checker. I'm sure it is getting more arrogant these days. Obviously Gove.
    The person who invented auto correct sadly died. His funfair is on Wendy.
    Solovyov: we don't need mobilisation because there are so many willing and happy volunteers for the BTG slaughter.
    vino said:

vino said:

My mother keeps Camp Coffee in for making coffee cakes. Works really well. I have never tried using it to make a drink...

vino said:

As the Bishop said to the actress?
    Finland and Sweden to announce request for NATO membership tomorrow.

dixiedean said:

The other point is that the Tories are pointing to areas they went forward in. Such as Newcastle-under-Lyme, Nuneaton and Hartlepool.
    They went badly backwards in a lot of other areas they need to hold. Cumbria 5 seats, Somerset 5, Barnet 3. West Yorkshire and Wales., cba but a fair few. Surrey all 10.
    Those begin to add up.
    And yes, there's swingback and mid-terms. But hands up who thinks it's going to improve any time soon.
    An 80 majority is super tough to overturn in one go. But it's their efficiency of vote which seems to be wearing off. The Tories maxxed out on it since 2015.

Do we just cherry pick Labours worst results in each Constituency and compare with that year now?

Sir John Curtice pilloried Lab attempt to compare 2022 with 2019 rather than the natural cycle of 2018

Not really going to work mate.

Cummings tweeted some gossip today about a plan for an “emergency budget”, and the inactivity so far on cost of living to be blamed on Sunak.

So yes, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him kneecapped.
    The hilarous thing is that whichever poor sod goes to No 11 in his place is equally stuffed, becuase the economy is going to get worse before it gets better, and there's a time lag between actions and consequences. (Oh, and you-know-what will continue to act as a deadweight on propsperity.) So two rivals destroyed for the price of one.

At some point, smarter Conservatives will realise that BoJo is happy for them all to burn, as long as it buys him another hour as top bananna. But that realisation is already too late for a load of ex-councillors.
    Some rumours that Ukrainian forces have crossed the border into Russia.

Only if it happened BJO.

So on Wiki and Daily Mail we are not going to see "roasting temperatures for rest of May"

Bugger
    You are definitely on sharp form tonight BJO! 👍🏻

After six months on PB I have never seen this before.
    carnforth said:

vino said:

vino said:

My mother keeps Camp Coffee in for making coffee cakes. Works really well. I have never tried using it to make a drink...
    You must be posh then if you have never had Camp coffee - a wonderful taste
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

Well done, Putin. How is that plan for putting NATO back in its box looking now, huh?

No wonder he is skulking around in bunkers and submarines.....
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

vino said:

Respect due to that bishop.....

dixiedean said:

Those begin to add up.

Do we just cherry pick Labours worst results in each Constituency and compare with that year now?

Sir John Curtice pilloried Lab attempt to compare 2022 with 2019 rather than the natural cycle of 2018

Not really going to work mate.
    Yes, last year was shit, but things are heading in the right direction. Still a lot further to go, I agree.

Remember, I'm no SKS pompom waver, I voted for Nandy. But I want us to succeed, and kick Bozo and his mates out at the next GE.

Turbo military operation?
    A Tory MP claiming poor people cant budget or cook is total bollocks

In my experience the poorer you are the more price conscious you are and the more you know about food prices and buying the cheapest value items

If you claim £000's subsistence from the taxpayer not so much
    vino said:

carnforth said:

vino said:

vino said:

Whilst poor (as a student) I once bought Sainsbury's "Basics" ground coffee at £1.25 per 250g. 100% robusta. Rough as hell.

For fans of particularly bitter coffee, go to an middle-eastern store and buy Iranian coffee with green cardamom pods mixed it. Serious (but good) stuff.

That’s exactly why save big dog strategy want Truss in Treasury. Poster girl of tough stagflation (type scenario minus high unemployment) decisions.

Plus the fact they realised she is spitting image of Marie Antoinette.

edited May 2022

vino said:

Respect due to that bishop.....
    Especially if he was only paying 14.5 p for the experience.

Well below the minimum wage actress must be a complete sucker
    Oh. It seems Mail have found out that "poor can't cook and have brought foodbanks on themselves" Tory MP claimed £1/4 million in expenses last year.

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The robust and correct response here is; deepwater Horizon cost you, what, $64bn? And you are still here? So thanks for setting that benchmark for affordability.

Unless you are talking to Shell in which case you say, you are still here too with an extra $64bn which you didn't pay out.

And as for the widows and orphans who rely on FTSE100 divvies to keep the wolf from the door, those are rich widows and orphans, there's plenty of people with no exposure to BP divvies either directly or via non-state pensions, so you are just redistributing from the rich to the poor.

Oh. It seems Mail have found out that "poor can't cook and have brought foodbanks on themselves" Tory MP claimed £1/4 million in expenses last year.

That seems A LOT.
    How does it compare with the average claim?
    carnforth said:

vino said:

carnforth said:

vino said:

vino said:

Whilst poor (as a student) I once bought Sainsbury's "Basics" ground coffee at £1.25 per 250g. 100% robusta. Rough as hell.

For fans of particularly bitter coffee, go to an middle-eastern store and buy Iranian coffee with green cardamom pods mixed it. Serious (but good) stuff.
    I once bought a bag of coffee from a pound shop. Packaged to resemble Lavazza.

And you know what? It was shit.

Goodnight all.
    Didn't know this - Camp Coffee was created in Scotland in the late 19th century, Camp Coffee was one of the first attempts at instant coffee. It's said that the brown, syrupy liquid—a blend of coffee, chicory, water, and sugar—was invented for the Scottish regiment of the Gordon Highlanders to bring on campaigns abroad.

That seems A LOT.
    Subsistence was only £4000 though.

Totally reasonable in entitled MPs minds

In my experience the poorer you are the more price conscious you are and the more you know about food prices and buying the cheapest value items

Mansfield a Lab gain I think.

carnforth said:

vino said:

carnforth said:

vino said:

vino said:

I will do and report back
    Looks like the UK-Sweden-Finland pact is really just to cover them while they apply to NATO, in case Putin lashes out in anger.

Hope Vlad doesn’t do something (more) stupid.
    People who drink instant coffee are scum.
    Worse than Brexiters.

Vlad will have to move huge numbers of his BTGs to Kalingrad if that is the case.

Oh wait...

They are all bogged down in Ukraine or indeed dead.

He's MP for Ashfield - popular
    vino said:

carnforth said:

vino said:

vino said:

Homophobic probably

People who drink instant coffee are scum.
    Worse than Brexiters.

Why?
  • theProletheProle Posts: 948

Read Lee Anderson's whole speech. Seemed pretty plausible to me. But if course to some posters here as he's a Conservative he must be inherently evil.

There is a lot of truth in what he says and if you see the queues at McDonald's drive through and the number of home takeaways being delivered, the food is not healthy and is expensive compared to cooking at home

Mind you I expect many do cook at home anyway
    Everything has a time and a place. I can and do cook very well, but yesterday I was tired and hungry about 3 hours from home, and the McDonald's drive through in Penrith was a much better solution than cooking something at home at midnight.

That seems A LOT.
    Give 'em their due; The Mail are pretty good at equal opportunities outrage when it suits them.

A lot of those expenses probably end up on staff.

vino said:

carnforth said:

vino said:

vino said:

Homophobic probably
    Wondering who would be the first to crack that one
    vino said:

I cant see Labour regaining any Red Wall seats in East Midlands

No chance in Mansfield, NE Derbyshire and very little chance in Ashfield and Bolsover

I think there is more chance of a further Tory Gain if Boris is still in place in Chesterfield
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hovis?
    Brilliant.

EPG said:

nico679 said:

They want to cement a long-term separation which keeps NI in UK permanently. That includes rowing back to the greatest extent possible on Belfast Agreement institutions including strong support for direct rule. Note that the government's case is based on defending the Belfast Agreement yet the DUP (and other parties) have regularly boycotted GFA institutions, not only the Executive and the devolution of powers to NI but also the more obscure strands like cross-border ministerial cooperation. Much like shenanigans by their Tory pals across the water, the DUP's cross-border cooperation boycott was found to be a breach of their legal obligations but a remedy was not found to be enforcable.

vino said:

No chance in Mansfield, NE Derbyshire and very little chance in Ashfield and Bolsover

I think there is more chance of a further Tory Gain if Boris is still in place in Chesterfield
    Agree with you - if you saw Midlands Central News last Friday from Heanor/Ripley there was support for Boris from I assume former Labour voters

Only if it happened BJO.

Bugger
    Imminent heatwave for UK? The Norwegian weather office don’t think so. This is Derby weather for next week John.

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hovis?
    Brilliant.
    When I tweeted it a month ago it was His funfair is on Mardy

Jokes move on by 2 days in a month!!
    edited May 2022
    EPG said:

EPG said:

nico679 said:

They want to cement a long-term separation which keeps NI in UK permanently. That includes rowing back to the greatest extent possible on Belfast Agreement institutions including strong support for direct rule. Note that the government's case is based on defending the Belfast Agreement yet the DUP (and other parties) have regularly boycotted GFA institutions, not only the Executive and the devolution of powers to NI but also the more obscure strands like cross-border ministerial cooperation. Much like shenanigans by their Tory pals across the water, the DUP's cross-border cooperation boycott was found to be a breach of their legal obligations but a remedy was not found to be enforcable.
    It’s possible NI can’t return to something approaching the status quo ante until the DUP are crushed.

One fig leaf for the UK government is that the UUP want the protocol “fixed”, too - so it’s true to say that as it stands it does not enjoy cross-community support.

(The UUP are pro-GFA, however, and have already indicated a willingness to serve under Michelle O’Neill if it comes to it).
    vino said:

vino said:

Agree with you - if you saw Midlands Central News last Friday from Heanor/Ripley there was support for Boris from I assume former Labour voters
    Tories easily took Chesterfield based on the tallies in last years Derbyshire CC ward by ward analysis, By about 4,000 votes.
    Lab slightly rebounded since then but Tory Gain still odds on IMO
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,285
    edited May 2022

I don't agree. You can buy healthy food at very low prices almost everywhere. The idea that fruit and vegetables are expensive in poor areas is nonsense.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    EPG said:

EPG said:

nico679 said:

The DUP campaigned AGAINST the GFA back in 1998!

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hovis?
    Brilliant.

But they won’t have a clue what mardy is down south in Landan. 🙂
    Andy_JS said:

I don't agree. You can buy healthy food at very low prices almost everywhere. The idea that fruit and vegetables are expensive in poor areas is nonsense.
    Root vegetables are very expensive to cook apparently

EPG said:

EPG said:

nico679 said:

The DUP campaigned AGAINST the GFA back in 1998!
    Well, I don't hold that against them any more than I hold Sinn Féin's money-making ruses and antics. Democracy is democracy but if you're making the law, don't break the law, I say (I know I know, this is not popular view up in them SW1A London right now).

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hovis?
    Brilliant.

But they won’t have a clue what mardy is down south in Landan. 🙂
    Oh must have been a Regionalised version!!

vino said:

vino said:

Tories easily took Chesterfield based on the tallies in last years Derbyshire CC ward by ward analysis, By about 4,000 votes.
    Thanks - will bear that in mind
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,093
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Suella Braverman has told PM & senior ministers that EU is undermining Good Friday Agreement by creating trade barrier & fuelling civil unrest

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-can-rip-up-northern-ireland-protocol-attorney-general-rules-3xmcv8ws8

Should get the DUP back in the Tory tent if as polls predict there is a hung parliament at the next general election
    Did I not warn the other day that we cannot assume the Tories are non-coalitionable?

Johnson will find a way to bring unionists on board post 2024 hung election if that happens.

The DUP are heading for 7 seats, maybe 5 or 6 if the UUP get their act together or if there are funny deals in other constituencies.
    Isn't the logical politics here for the DUP to stage some joining-up of Unionist parties, and forcing a new Election where Inionists get the largest party?

Yep, I know .... logic in NI.
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Isn't the logical politics here for the DUP to stage some joining-up of Unionist parties, and forcing a new Election where Inionists get the largest party?

Why would the UUP consent to being swallowed up by a bunch of religious extremists?

This is a multi-party Mexican stand-off.
    EU vs HMG vs DUP vs GFA parties.

You are right that another election may be the path of least resistance.
    Andy_JS said:

tisn't actually, fruit is always and everywhere expensive for what it is (basically sugary water with some poncy vitamins allegedly attached). Anyway if you are poor you need calories and protein more than anything else; given the choice of a diet of organic blueberries vs Ginsters pasties, you will die a damn sight sooner on the healthy option.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    When at a poorer stage of life it was easy enough for me to eat cheaply. It wouldn't have been that hard to eat healthier whilst also being cheap, but it was still easier to live predominantly off giant bags of pasta and be cheap and expend minimal effort. I presumed those trying to feed a family cheaply, and working long hours, also needed more variety than I did, and so the simpler varietal options were even more enticing.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Why would the UUP consent to being swallowed up by a bunch of religious extremists?

The DUP are like children who throw screeching temper tantrums about how they are not treated like grown ups. Forever engaging in petty brinkmanship, which distracts from legitimate concerns, then moaning about not being treated seriously.

Andy_JS said:

The only root vegetables I grew were onions,beetroot,garlic,radishes,fennel,carrots,parnip & potatoes - still eating last years crop of potatoes
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

This incident has been geolocated well within the Seperatist DPR at Novoazovsk.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1524360854514319361?t=4bPepEYkrf-9_MDI3WTv3w&s=19
    kle4 said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

The DUP are like children who throw screeching temper tantrums about how they are not treated like grown ups. Forever engaging in petty brinkmanship, which distracts from legitimate concerns, then moaning about not being treated seriously.
    The DUP will lose in the end.

I predict that eventually HMG will reach agreement with the EU, and then will “double-cross” the DUP to reinstate Stormont via some amendment to the St Andrew agreement, leaving them out in the cold.

This could take years to play out, though.

vino said:

vino said:

vino said:

Just found out the Tory MP for Ashfield was a Labour Councillor up to 2018.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,093
    edited May 2022

Lee Anderson MP, who today said poor people forced to use foodbanks 'cannot cook or budget properly' claimed £222,000 in expenses in 2020/21 - including £4,100 on travel and 'subsistence'

https://twitter.com/LiamThorpECHO/status/1524418659485208577?s=20&t=-z3GB3vICjAhH21Ett5IAA

Daily MIrror trying a bit too hard there - they themselves publish articles whinging about a generation of 18-35 year olds who can't cook. I'm not sure that 'he's one of the 150 (?) most expensive MPs' is much of an attack.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-raising-generation-young-adults-9700304

Also the small matter that 200k of it is staff or office accomodation.

Budgeting and cooking courses are a great idea. I don't believe that it can be made a condition though - strongly encouraged, yes.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    MattW said:

Lee Anderson MP, who today said poor people forced to use foodbanks 'cannot cook or budget properly' claimed £222,000 in expenses in 2020/21 - including £4,100 on travel and 'subsistence'

https://twitter.com/LiamThorpECHO/status/1524418659485208577?s=20&t=-z3GB3vICjAhH21Ett5IAA

Daily MIrror trying a bit too hard there - they themselves publish articles whinging about a generation of 18-35 year olds who can't cook. I'm not sure that 'he's one of the 150 (?) most expensive MPs' is much of an attack.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-raising-generation-young-adults-9700304

Also the small matter that 200k of it is staff or pffoce accomodation.
    It's why nothing ever gets done about issues like these, because either side just makes it toxic. It's a valid point, there should be more emphasis on this in schools.

vino said:

vino said:

vino said:

Just found out the Tory MP for Ashfield was a Labour Councillor up to 2018.
    Yes - thought it was a good pick by the Tories - he is in the Ben Bradley school of tory - I live in Ashfield

kle4 said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

I predict that eventually HMG will reach agreement with the EU, and then will “double-cross” the DUP to reinstate Stormont via some amendment to the St Andrew agreement, leaving them out in the cold.

My understanding the voting in NI last week was for assembly to get to work soon on sorting out cost of living, health etc - DUP support could fall if they hold up the assembly getting to work on what voters really care about.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243

Andy_JS said:

Turnip brioche!

kle4 said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

My understanding the voting in NI last week was for assembly to get to work soon on sorting out cost of living, health etc - DUP support could fall if they hold up the assembly getting to work on what voters really care about.
    Certainly.
    But at present, the DUP’s abstentionism is helpful to HMG so that it has a fig leaf for its intention to disavow the Protocol.

If and when HMG no longer need that fig-leaf, the DUP will be dropped faster than a radioactive potato.
    It can be hard for those of us out to the right of the intellectual bell curve, to appreciate how stupid stupid people actually are. So yay for Rebekah Vardy for giving us a steer.

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Do you think EU will bottle it regarding threatened trade war, knowing the cards we hold?

If HY is quite sensibly in bed now, would anyone else like to tackle how damaging for UK government electorally a trade war with EU would be, and the possibility of it going there from this impasse?

kle4 said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Certainly.
    But at present, the DUP’s abstentionism is helpful to HMG so that it has a fig leaf for its intention to disavow the Protocol.

If and when HMG no longer need that fig-leaf, the DUP will be dropped faster than a radioactive potato.
    Well that’s an obvious mistake, radioactive potatoes would be ideal for making fission chips. 😆
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

kle4 said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Given current polls predict a hung parliament the government will have to keep the DUP on board to have any chance of staying in power if they lose their majority at the next general election

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

If HY is quite sensibly in bed now, would anyone else like to tackle how damaging for UK government electorally a trade war with EU would be, and the possibility of it going there from this impasse?
    I think there’s a decent chance of a trade war, but I don’t see a downside for the Tories.

Keir can’t afford to “take the EU’s side”.

Negative economic effects can be blamed on Ukraine, or Covid, or Gordon Brown.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Given current polls predict a hung parliament the government will have to keep the DUP on board to have any chance of staying in power if they lose their majority at the next general election
    That’s a tomorrow problem.
    This government don’t do tomorrows.

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

It will tempt some of the RefUK vote back to the tories, and the moaning minnies who would be driven out by it have prolly already been driven out by Pig Dog's antics already and were never real tories in the first place because they thought about voting for Blair in 97, so all good.

That sound about right?

kle4 said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh, fuck...

Exclusive:

Certainly.

Well that’s an obvious mistake, radioactive potatoes would be ideal for making fission chips. 😆
    :lol:
This discussion has been closed.