Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Breaking: Starmer’s leadership? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Talking of lawyers...nice work if you can get it. Just don't expect to win many.

In total, since 2017, Jolyon and the Good Law Project have raised a grand total of £4,228,308 from 44 Crowdjustice crowdfunders.

https://labourpainsblog.com/2022/05/09/good-law-project-fantasies-and-little-stupid-jokes/

The scary thing there, is that the average donation is nearly £100k!

So 44 people with an average of £100k to burn, decided that giving it to Jolyon was a good idea. Nope, me neither.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    edited May 2022

I said this on Saturday when the story broke. If he’s fined, he’ll have to resign, so there’s no downside to saying he will. Obviously, it won’t lead to Johnson resigning, but the contrast will be there. And, if Starmer does end up having to step down, Labour gets a more politically savvy leader after Starmer has done most of the internal cleaning up. It’s a no lose for Labour.

Who is this much more politically savvy leader just sitting waiting around doing nothing for Labour? Starmer was the best of the bad bunch.
    Was.

Not any more.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

**** BETTING POST *****

Get on the next PM market from the Labour pool, NOT the Conservative one. Boris will not feel any obligation to follow SKS on this if the latter resigns.

There's exceptional value to be had.

Just DON'T bet on Andy Burnham. He was useless last time, he doesn't gel with blue wall, he isn't even an MP, and he's a man. Labour will go female next time around.

Reeves and Nandy are the shortest Lab women to be Next PM. Both 100/1.

To put that into perspective, dead-man-walking Douglas Ross is 50/1.

It’s not happening.
    Douglas wont have a seat if the boundary changes go through
    Moray is indeed being split up between three new seats. The biggest chunk is going into the new Highland East and Elgin seat. Baxter rates this as:

66% SNP win
    34% Con win

But that is largely based on polling before the SCons dropped into the teens.
    Yeah. Although Moray was the only area their vote share increased from 2017 (albeit fractionally) aside from Dumfries and Galloway. They also held up ok in Highland. So it's not where the votes are leaking at the moment (Edinburgh, the central belt especially)
    Yes, both Edinburgh and Glasgow were absolute horror shows for the local Conservatives. Brexit really undermined them, but the self-inflicted blows from their supposed colleagues in London just never stop. They really ought to resurrect the old “Progressives” brand.

The problem for Highland and Moray Tories is that nobody else wants to work with them.
    Yeah, they've got to make some choices. I think they'd be better off with Murdo in charge and becoming the party of the coasts and borders (and perthshire).
    They ought to remain competitive in Aberdeenshire and Ayrshire and Argyll will become interesting if labour recover at the SNPs expense rather than trading votes with the Tories. D and G I fancy being their impregnable last stand bastion
    Murdo just lacks everything you expect to find in a senior politician. I think it comes from low self-esteem. He behaves like a classic back-bencher, doomed to never control any actual levers of power. He’s almost like a George Galloway character, before he quit Labour: a figure of scorn and derision even among party colleagues.

And as for coasts, borders and Perthshire, that would require the Tories to become pro-farming, pro-fisheries and pro-business. All recent traffic has been entirely in the opposite direction.

Nope, the Scottish centre-right will recover post-independence, not pre-.
    Remember the Queens XI tweet. Not a sign of a canny politician - instantly pisses off a fair chunk of the electorate in a stupid way. I can't imagine Mr Ross coming out with it (and not just cos he is the ref).

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/top-tory-faces-backlash-over-7777780
    Indeed. Another characteristic he shares with the former MP for Kelvin: sectarianism.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Another thought occurs to me over the ridiculous 'the curry was late' nonsense.
    We know it was a pre arranged dinner 'YS to order'. Are we really to believe YS didn't contact the Indian In advance and say 'here's some great publicity for you. Takeaway for a party of 30 for the leader of the opposition required for 8.30 pm' and that the Indian takeaway wouldn't have absolutely ensured dinner for LOTO was hot, tasty and on schedule?? Is the position that YS got to 7 and said 'oh shit, i haven't ordered Keirs dinner!'

What the fuck is this shit?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Sandpit said:

Talking of lawyers...nice work if you can get it. Just don't expect to win many.

In total, since 2017, Jolyon and the Good Law Project have raised a grand total of £4,228,308 from 44 Crowdjustice crowdfunders.

https://labourpainsblog.com/2022/05/09/good-law-project-fantasies-and-little-stupid-jokes/

So 44 people with an average of £100k to burn, decided that giving it to Jolyon was a good idea. Nope, me neither.
    Well other people keep paying Steve Bray to live in a very expensive flat in central London.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Well other people keep paying Steve Bray to live in a very expensive flat in central London.
    Is he still around? Wow.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

We know it was a pre arranged dinner 'YS to order'. Are we really to believe YS didn't contact the Indian In advance and say 'here's some great publicity for you. Takeaway for a party of 30 for the leader of the opposition required for 8.30 pm' and that the Indian takeaway wouldn't have absolutely ensured dinner for LOTO was hot, tasty and on schedule?? Is the position that YS got to 7 and said 'oh shit, i haven't ordered Keirs dinner!'

I hope you aren't anyone important if you think the world runs on that sort of Do you know who I am-ery. 30 meals is 30 meals regardless, and it anyway only takes one crypto Tory saboteur rice cook to delay the whole thing
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

I said this on Saturday when the story broke. If he’s fined, he’ll have to resign, so there’s no downside to saying he will. Obviously, it won’t lead to Johnson resigning, but the contrast will be there. And, if Starmer does end up having to step down, Labour gets a more politically savvy leader after Starmer has done most of the internal cleaning up. It’s a no lose for Labour.

What are the odds on the bit in bold?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    🚨NEW: Starmer to make a statement on the Durham police investigation at 4pm. Understand he will offer his resignation if issued with a FPN. His team adamant he’ll be cleared & this an attempt to draw line between Starmer & Johnson that not all politicians are the same
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1523662844125843456
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Carnyx said:

There's a rather obvious problem with that. PLumping publicly for one side in politics is often dangerous for a business. Especially a local one.
    Well even if they didnt want the publicity, they aren't going to be late are they? It's almost certainly their biggest order of the night if not the month given nobody was supposed to be having boozy takeouts in big groups
    So they were likely short staffed. Hence delays.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    'Nervy Tories now fear that they have overplayed their hand... That is why Jacob Rees-Mogg last night was so reluctant to press the issue when he appeared on Andrew Neil's Channel 4 show.'

✍️ Steerpike

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/starmer-i-ll-quit-if-i-m-guilty
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    @SouthamObserver - do you think Rebecca Long-Bailey was a far left candidate in 2020?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    @RochdalePioneers
    FPT
    Need to get a trolley jack or suchlike that can be pumped up, underneath it or in front of it at least. Get it onto trolley jack , be sure you do it so you can get it through doorways , but they are pretty maneouverable , imagine standing as it is now woudl be easiest way, just how you get jack underneath or if you can wiggle it onto it with some help. Be a tough job, easier to make it into a cabinet. Borrow from your local garage and have a few burly helpers if using trolley jack and wear sturdy boots.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Is he still around? Wow.
    From yesterday...still being a total twat when the media trying to report.

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1523251546037035010?s=20&t=RJWoqLmDKlb4QBzsKdvMqQ

And stalking politicians around Westminister.....

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1523254186095390720?s=20&t=RJWoqLmDKlb4QBzsKdvMqQ

It really isn't on. Its harassment.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Those saying it is good for one side or another, I think it is massively unpredictable. Starmer might not get fined, but he is now tarred somewhat. Starmer might go, but likely Boris gets more fines / the report is terrible and that finally prompts the Tories to kick him out and they also get to reset with say somebody like Hunt. The Tories might not act. Who knows.

I think I agree.

By saying he will go if he gets a fixed penalty notice, SKS massively increases press interest in ALL possible lockdown violations by ALL politicians.

The hounds have been let loose.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801
    Great news . Finally Starmer takes back control and screws the Tories .

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Dura_Ace said:

What the fuck is this shit?
    Yes, the natural question for everything that has been claimed about Keir's Durham shindig.
    They went back to work, it was a working dinner, the curry was late, no rules were broken
  • Options

Those saying it is good for one side or another, I think it is massively unpredictable. Starmer might not get fined, but he is now tarred somewhat. Starmer might go, but likely Boris gets more fines / the report is terrible and that finally prompts the Tories to kick him out and they also get to reset with say somebody like Hunt. The Tories might not act. Who knows.

I think I agree.

By saying he will go if he gets a fixed penalty notice, SKS massively increases press interest in ALL possible lockdown violations by ALL politicians.

The hounds typically just want one victim.

And we'll all move on to the next circus soon anyway.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931

Who is this much more politically savvy leader just sitting waiting around doing nothing for Labour? Starmer was the best of the bad bunch.

I think that over the last two days both Lisa Nandy and Wes Streeting have demonstrated they are politically far smarter than Starmer. They are fluent and comfortable under questioning in a way Starmer will never be. I think Bridget Phillipson is similarly skilled.

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Leon said:

Judging by friends and family (many of whom have been seriously harsh about Boris) Starmer is now badly damaged, whatever

“They’re all the same”

“Bunch of wankers”

“Fuck them all”

Etc etc.

Starmer has lost his “honest but boring” USP. Which is pretty much all he had

“They’re all the same”

“Bunch of wankers”

“Fuck them all”

Indeed. I feel the same about all your tedious characters.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147
    Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW: Starmer to make a statement on the Durham police investigation at 4pm. Understand he will offer his resignation if issued with a FPN. His team adamant he’ll be cleared & this an attempt to draw line between Starmer & Johnson that not all politicians are the same

Twats.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited May 2022
    They were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Is he still around? Wow.

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1523251546037035010?s=20&t=RJWoqLmDKlb4QBzsKdvMqQ

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1523254186095390720?s=20&t=RJWoqLmDKlb4QBzsKdvMqQ

He seems nice.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Is he still around? Wow.

Re Good Law Project - baseball bats are expensive.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    LDLF said:

-Johnson only has himself for blame for 'Partgate': the government he leads didn't have to set the rules as they did, and otherwise they should have made sure they always followed them.
    -Starmer only has himself to blame for 'Beergate': he did not have to be quite so unbearably sactimonious when 'partgate' broke.

Given these rules were seemingly so easy to break for the nature of work that politicians do, a better long-term strategy for Starmer might have been to say something like: 'The Prime Minister has made a foolish error and very possibly a foolish law, if the line between acceptable and unnacceptable gatherings is so arbitrary and ambiguous that he can use a loophole to escape the penalty. This emphasises the urgent need for a public enquiry on the United Kingdom's response to the pandemic, and places the government's decisions squarely in the dock.'

As it is, he made his criticism as intensely personal, and moralising, as possible: 'Just as he has done throughout his life, he has damaged everyone and everything around him along the way.' It's very difficult to row back from this with any dignity.

P.S. If both Starmer *and* Cummings end up being fined I don't suppose Johnson would much mind. If Starmer resigns of course the pressure would be on Johnson to do the same.

That's correct IMV. And if you are going to go down the moralising, holier-than-thou line, ensure you cannot be accused of the same 'crime' you are moralising about.

It's a totally unforced error by Starmer and Labour.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289

I think I agree.

This is going to snowball into an intense period of journalists looking into all senior politicians behaviour throughout the covid period in the hope of seeking some spectacular resignations

As far as Boris is concerned I would not be surprised if he sought a VONC from his mps
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Twats.
    Why?
  • Options
    The Tories have played this badly
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kinabalu said:

I hope Starmer does make this pledge. It's got a lot going for it imo.

I'm not sure. I know the consensus on here is that he would show him to be a man of principle, his confidence that he will not get fined / done anything wrong etc but there is another angle - alluded to by TSE - that it is seen as putting pressure on the Police not to fine him, having seen the ramifications of the Met giving BJ and Rishi a FPN.

I'm also not sure it gets rid of the hypocrisy charge. If he doesn't get a FPN because of a technicality let's say, he still looks shifty, it's just that he won't have resigned because he wasn't actually issued with a FPN.

Optics also count. I know many on here praise the efficiency of the Durham Constabulary (although that praise wasn't so evident when Don's trip to Barnard Castle was being discussed) but, with a Labour PCC in charge, it will be easy to spin the line - if he is cleared - that the Police were pressured to drop things.

He would be far better off just saying "I don't think I have done anything wrong but the Police are investigating and I will leave it at that."
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I hope you aren't anyone important if you think the world runs on that sort of Do you know who I am-ery. 30 meals is 30 meals regardless, and it anyway only takes one crypto Tory saboteur rice cook to delay the whole thing
    I've never been accused of being anybody, no. I'm a benefit claimant in a little flat in Norwich.
    30 meals is your profit for the week, it takes precedence over a Tikka Masala, pilau and bottle of coke for one in your kitchen planning for the night.
    And, frankly, the entire restaurant and hospitality industry bends over for the rich, powerful and famous and always have. They like to make money.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    If I were Starmer, I don't think I'd offer such a hostage to fortune.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    If Rishi Sunak got a FPN I don't see how SKS does not get one.
  • Options
    Sign of the state of UK politics. The last 2 leaders of each of the two main Parties have had their opponents desperate to keep them in their leadership positions.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Pro_Rata said:

slade said:

Looking at the figures for the recent local elections the Lib Dems claim the following Conservative MPs would lose their seats ( assuming the same percentage results); Mary Robinson (Cheadle), William Wragg (Hazel Grove), Dominic Raab (Esher and Walton), Stephen Hammond (Wimbledon), John Redwood (Wokingham), Alex Chalk (Cheltenham), Steve Brine (Winchester), Elliott Colburn ( Carshalton and Wallingham), Andrew Jones (Harrogate and Knaresborough), and Bim Afolami (Hitchen and Harpended).

No Somerset?
    Interesting. Perhaps the votes were in the wrong place. I will check.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Twats.
    Why?
    He’s upset because this is bad news for the Tories.
  • Options
    Durham will have to reopen Cummings now, any Tory want to comment?

I’ve asked this five times now.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

And put Rayner in an impossible position
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I think I agree.

This could turn into a bit like the expenses scandal, where the media just scatter gunned everybody for every little thing and they were all smeared equally. When actually there was a range of bending of the rules, self enrichment within the rules and then there was outright criminal behaviour and corruption.
  • Options

As an ex-Tory who ignored it the first four times, no they won't.

Its only you talking about this. Cummings isn't a politician, he isn't in the news, he isn't even working for the government or the opposition. There will be no pressure to reopen that, and no news interest anymore if they did.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Does anybody care other than the Big Dom himself? He is yesterdays man.
  • Options

I have no problem with that and maybe someone should make a formal complaint to Durham Police
  • Options

I think I agree.

This is going to snowball into an intense period of journalists looking into all senior politicians behaviour throughout the covid period in the hope of seeking some spectacular resignations

As far as Boris is concerned I would not be surprised if he sought a VONC from his mps
    My thinking is that while there may be 54 MPs willing to vote against him, there’s not the 180 required to actually kick him out. So he engineers a vote shortly and buys himself another year, then resigns (or is forced out) next summer.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It’s a no lose gamble . Starmer would have to resign if he gets a FPN and this way if he does it will leave Labour in a less worse position . The Tories can keep their liar in chief and explain why he’s still there .
  • Options

I think I agree.

This could turn into a bit like the expenses scandal, where the media just scatter gunned everybody for every little thing and they were all smeared equally. When actually there was a range of bending of the rules, self enrichment within the rules and then there was outright criminal behaviour and corruption.
    I expect this is going to get completely out of hand
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981

Stocky said:

If Starmer says he will resign if issued with a FPN then he is making it certain Rayner will have to concur and resign as well

Has it been made explicit that she being investigated by the police or is it just Starmer?
    Questionnaires are being sent by Durham Police detectives to all attendees so yes, if it breached covid regulations, they will all receive FPN's and including Mary Foy, the local mop
    It will all come out in the wash!!
  • Options
    My family friend comes through again, you’re welcome
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

There's a rather obvious problem with that. PLumping publicly for one side in politics is often dangerous for a business. Especially a local one.
    Well even if they didnt want the publicity, they aren't going to be late are they? It's almost certainly their biggest order of the night if not the month given nobody was supposed to be having boozy takeouts in big groups
    So they were likely short staffed. Hence delays.
    Well, that's the point. Not likely this was a last minute order so staffing not really an issue. But on reflection it's not my most insightful thought ever. Just strikes me as more crap that the curry was so late they'd done gone and finished all their work.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

As an ex-Tory who ignored it the first four times, no they won't.

Its only you talking about this. Cummings isn't a politician, he isn't in the news, he isn't even working for the government or the opposition. There will be no pressure to reopen that, and no news interest anymore if they did.
    Also it's incredibly hard to work out what crime Dom actually committed - given when he went North.

Now you could probably doing him for reckless driving given his reason for going to Barnard Castle but that is now historic.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And put Rayner in an impossible position
    They don't like each other. As has been noted several times.
    If SKS has to go, then taking Ange out too will offer a crumb of comfort.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

I think I agree.

The main thing that went right with the expenses scandal was that the attempts to make it into a party political thing backfired hilariously.

I'm thinking of a certain politician who thought that his B&O television was a trifle compared to duck ponds. Despite costing more.....
  • Options

If it’s police investigated as wanted, and Starmer doesn’t get a FPN, what’s the attack line from the Tory’s and Daily Mail?

If they don’t have one (which would have to be attack on the police, they couldn’t blame the people who made all these different rules) its complete exoneration isn’t it Starmer would get a big bounce from it for sure, which his opponents would have gifted to him.
  • Options

Stocky said:

If Starmer says he will resign if issued with a FPN then he is making it certain Rayner will have to concur and resign as well

Has it been made explicit that she being investigated by the police or is it just Starmer?
    Questionnaires are being sent by Durham Police detectives to all attendees so yes, if it breached covid regulations, they will all receive FPN's and including Mary Foy, the local mop
    It will all come out in the wash!!
    I know - as I said earlier - Whoops
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Judging by friends and family (many of whom have been seriously harsh about Boris) Starmer is now badly damaged, whatever

“They’re all the same”

“Bunch of wankers”

“Fuck them all”

Etc etc.

Don't you mix with anybody smart and informed?
    It's the view of most people who aren't blindly partisan. Like expenses. Dirty, cheating establishment crapping on us all.
    And for those that aren't just angry there's the fact BJ = arsehole has become accepted fact but disappointment and disillusionment that St Keir of the beer is too is a fresh wound.
    Tonight's poll might be interesting
    I'd more say it's probably the view of most people who don't follow politics or who think about things only quite superficially.

Because comparing (i) a PM presiding over a culture of covid rule-breaking at Number 10, taking part in lots of it, at the height of lockdown, being fined once for it with more fines likely to come, and lying repeatedly to parliament about its very existence, inc pretending to be horrified when he found out about it, with (ii) a LOTO with a single what looks like genuine campaign working event during Tier 2 being investigated again, having been reviewed once already and deemed ok, not yet fined for it and probably won't be ... this is not for me a particularly subtle difference.

But I agree your point about expectations. Starmer is perceived to have ethics, whereas Johnson isn't, therefore he's probably going to get held to a higher standard by the public.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    slade said:

Pro_Rata said:

slade said:

Looking at the figures for the recent local elections the Lib Dems claim the following Conservative MPs would lose their seats ( assuming the same percentage results); Mary Robinson (Cheadle), William Wragg (Hazel Grove), Dominic Raab (Esher and Walton), Stephen Hammond (Wimbledon), John Redwood (Wokingham), Alex Chalk (Cheltenham), Steve Brine (Winchester), Elliott Colburn ( Carshalton and Wallingham), Andrew Jones (Harrogate and Knaresborough), and Bim Afolami (Hitchen and Harpended).

No Somerset?
    Interesting. Perhaps the votes were in the wrong place. I will check.
    It appears that the list was the top 10 Conservatives not the whole lot. I think we can add Somerton and Frome, Taunton, Yeovil, Wells, and South Cambridgeshire. It is noticeable that they are mostly ex-Lib Dem seats.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Ed Balls?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    Sean_F said:

His position should be he is very sure he is innocent so if he gets a FPN he will challenge it in court, and if he loses he would then resign.
  • Options
    I like the new acronym for members of parliament – Mops!

Bravo.

Let's make it a sparkly new PB cliche and retire the features, bugs, colour mes, not experts, not lawyers, heavy liftings, views and ad homs pronto.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Same number of times i have asked you if a 22 seat gain in the whole of England is the great result you were ramping on Friday morning.

Prthaps you are on ignore
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

This is the trouble for Starmer, the Met have set an extremely low bar for FPN. Seems like a massive gamble as he may end up having to walk now over a beer and curry with people who wouldn't choose to socialise with anyway.
  • Options

I think I agree.

The fire will burn them all. Perhaps they'll think about imposing moronically twattish rules in future. Then again, they won't
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    Why not just resign when the fine is issued? Why announce in advance?

Is this an attempt to face down Durham police?
  • Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    As usual articles from this author make me laugh.Clearly TSE knows few lawyers if he thinks the profession as a whole has unusually high levels of integrity. To say that Starmer' is a very ethical person ignores entirely the way he has behaved over covid since becoming Labour leader. An ethical person would not have used a national emergency as an opportunity simlpy to gain party political advantage as Starmer did throughout the crisis.
    Having said that I think the chances of Starmer being prosecuted are minimal. If the Durham police were too inept to even try to prosecute Cummings they are unlikely to try with Starmer. We will see.
    Whatever happens I suspect most fairminded people will come away with the feeling that Starmer is a total hypocrite. They would, in my opinion be right.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Ed Balls?
    Ed Balls ain't coming back, just like David Miliband isn't either.
  • Options

Bravo.

Let's make it a sparkly new PB cliche and retire the features, bugs, colour mes, not experts, not lawyers, heavy liftings, views and ad homs pronto.

I hold my hand up to that one

Fame at last
  • Options
    I fear this is leading inexorably towards a General Election.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

On the latter, yes. He's trying to be clever/lawyerly about it but the Durham police may decide to fuck him over now rather than cave. It has very high potential to backfire on him because the Met have set a precedent of handing out a FPN for the cake and the police in Durham can fall back on that if they choose to hand out a fine.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432

Ed Balls?
    Ed Balls ain't coming back, just like David Miliband isn't either.
    If Ed was to come back, it would probably have to be without the Balls, to meet the clamour for a female* leader :wink:

*yes, I know, other definitions are available
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

On the latter, yes. He's trying to be clever/lawyerly about it but the Durham police may decide to fuck him over now rather than cave. It has very high potential to backfire on him because the Met have set a precedent of handing out a FPN for the cake and the police in Durham can fall back on that if they choose to hand out a fine.
    Also, we don't know if other people still have further information.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

**** BETTING POST ****

I guess I'll say this for the last time but the markets are way behind on what is happening.

If Starmer resigns we get a shiny new Labour leader with all of the honeymoon potential up against a tainted, tawdry, PM. But I cannot see Boris Johnson resigning over this. He will only go if tory MPs boot him out and I don't see evidence for this right now.

Does this mean the next PM market WILL BE one of the current Labour pool? Of course not. But the current odds of 100/1+ on all the other Labour figures apart from SKS are ridiculously good value.

It's good thinking. I've done Streeting, Coop and Nando, small stakes big prices.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The Tories have made an absolute horlicks of this, haven't they? The amazing thing is how obvious the bear trap was... yet they have wandered right into it. Is anyone engaging brain at Central Office?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

“They’re all the same”

“Bunch of wankers”

“Fuck them all”

Etc etc.

Don't you mix with anybody smart and informed?
    It's the view of most people who aren't blindly partisan. Like expenses. Dirty, cheating establishment crapping on us all.
    And for those that aren't just angry there's the fact BJ = arsehole has become accepted fact but disappointment and disillusionment that St Keir of the beer is too is a fresh wound.
    Tonight's poll might be interesting
    I'd more say it's probably the view of most people who don't follow politics or who think about things only quite superficially.

Because comparing (i) a PM presiding over a culture of covid rule-breaking at Number 10, taking part in lots of it, at the height of lockdown, being fined once for it with more fines likely to come, and lying repeatedly to parliament about its very existence, inc pretending to be horrified when he found out about it, with (ii) a LOTO with a single what looks like genuine campaign working event during Tier 2 being investigated again, having been reviewed once already and deemed ok, not yet fined for it and probably won't be ... this is not for me a particularly subtle difference.

But I agree your point about expectations. Starmer is perceived to have ethics, whereas Johnson isn't, therefore he's probably going to get held to a higher standard by the public.
    Yes, I see that but the election will end up decided by the 'all the same' crowd as the politically interested and alert are likely in their camps to stay
  • Options

Yep, excellent tip.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Is that the only attack line left, claim the police were bullied and beaten up by Keir flipping Starmer? hence they didn’t achieve justice and fairness? How would that sound from mail and Tory lips?
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    dixiedean said:

It does. In 2024.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

Just need one Tory to say "blatant attempt to intimidate the police" and it leaves them with no choice but to fine him.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231
    Eabhal said:

The thinking seems to be that he can then use it against Johnson.

This would be a lot simpler if they'd simply followed the rules they'd put into law - or, better, not put them into law and just had it be strongly advised guidance.
  • Options
    Politics has become so unpredictable with so many extraordinary, unexpected and unlikely events happening that how anyone can predict the next GE is beyond me
  • Options
    One of the reasons I think Starmer doesn't think he's done anything wrong is because of what I've mentioned. These are people who he wouldn't normally socialise with. It's volunteer campaigners and local staffers in and around the constituency. So in his head it probably doesn't count as a social event, which is fair, but the cake fine set a low bar because the people around that table probably wouldn't choose to socialise with each other either and yet they still got a fine.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

That is the nub of the problem. On the facts known Sunak was very unlucky and if he was Joe Public could challenge the decision but obviously couldn't whilst Big Dog was in position. If Starmer is treated more favourably than Sunak that will rebound to some degree as it will be brought to the public's attention. If he is treated similarly he will get an FPN and he is probably done for. How can he appeal if Sunak didn't? Best SKS can hope for is no FPN and some damage.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

Just need one Tory to say "blatant attempt to intimidate the police" and it leaves them with no choice but to fine him.
    Mails headline tomorrow ?
  • Options

If it’s police investigated as wanted, and Starmer doesn’t get a FPN, what’s the attack line from the Tory’s and Daily Mail?

If they don’t have one (which would have to be attack on the police, they couldn’t blame the people who made all these different rules) its complete exoneration isn’t it Starmer would get a big bounce from it for sure, which his opponents would have gifted to him.
    Spot on. Your rabbit-senses have definitely sharpened back to their best in recent days.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If Starmer does not get a fixed penalty notice then the Met will have to reconsider their fixed penalty notices of the PM and others for the cake/work incident. Many office workers have a birhday cake interlude. It is part of working life
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

It's such an easy way out as well for the Tories. "Starmer is using lawyerly intimidation tactics against the police". There's no easy comeback from that and if he gets away without a fine the stage is set that it's not because he wasn't guilty, but because he got special treatment as the LOTO.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Pensfold said:

If Starmer does not get a fixed penalty notice then the Met will have to reconsider their fixed penalty notices of the PM and others for the cake/work incident. Many office workers have a birhday cake interlude. It is part of working life

Not with beer though
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231
    dixiedean said:

Yes. An appeal to the people for them to vote to endorse law-breaking - because Other Things Are More Important. That would fit the populist playbook.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This is the trouble for Starmer, the Met have set an extremely low bar for FPN. Seems like a massive gamble as he may end up having to walk now over a beer and curry with people who wouldn't choose to socialise with anyway.
    Yes it’s a low bar . I personally thought Johnson wouldn’t receive a FPN for that .

The difference is likely to be that the birthday was purely a social event , in Durham it was work that could have transitioned into social .

There’s now a lot of pressure on Durham police because they now know that their decision will have huge political ramifications. As opposed to the Met where Johnson never intimated he’d resign.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

The most important thing he is that Durham Police want this issue to disappear. I think it's a very brave thing SKS is rumoured to be announcing at 4pm

And frankly it's very stupid
  • Options
    nico679 said:

By resigning?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

I hope Starmer does make this pledge. It's got a lot going for it imo.

I'm not sure. I know the consensus on here is that he would show him to be a man of principle, his confidence that he will not get fined / done anything wrong etc but there is another angle - alluded to by TSE - that it is seen as putting pressure on the Police not to fine him, having seen the ramifications of the Met giving BJ and Rishi a FPN.

I'm also not sure it gets rid of the hypocrisy charge. If he doesn't get a FPN because of a technicality let's say, he still looks shifty, it's just that he won't have resigned because he wasn't actually issued with a FPN.

Optics also count. I know many on here praise the efficiency of the Durham Constabulary (although that praise wasn't so evident when Don's trip to Barnard Castle was being discussed) but, with a Labour PCC in charge, it will be easy to spin the line - if he is cleared - that the Police were pressured to drop things.

He would be far better off just saying "I don't think I have done anything wrong but the Police are investigating and I will leave it at that."
    To me it says he knows he's in the clear and has faith in the law. It's good strong front-foot politics.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I think I agree.

The fire will burn them all. Perhaps they'll think about imposing moronically twattish rules in future. Then again, they won't
    I agree. What if this is just the beginning of the madness - which potential leadership candidate hasn’t been ambushed by a cake, curry, dinner party, BBQ, fund raiser, charity event etc etc etc etc or something under the various lock downs with different times different rules?

Obviously to be revealed by opposing party media the following week from just being installed in office by their party!
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/elliottengage/status/1523668662904832002

I knew this had Mandelson’s paws all over it
  • Options

Bravo.

I hold my hand up to that one

Fame at last
    It's a great one – and not technically incorrect – in all these years following politics I had never noticed that that Mop was the direct acronym.

He has all the charisma of a Mop.

Her Mop is ready for the bin.

Mop in sex scandal with maid.

It's the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-61373504

Next Stormont election on for sometime in December by the looks of it.
  • Options

nico679 said:

The Tories have made an absolute horlicks of this, haven't they? The amazing thing is how obvious the bear trap was... yet they have wandered right into it. Is anyone engaging brain at Central Office?
    The demand for the investigation came from an independent Durham Councillor who had lost his mother due to covid and it is attendees at the event who have contradicted Starmer's story

It may be convenient for some to blame the conservative party but this is happening because of disaffected labourites
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

One of the reasons I think Starmer doesn't think he's done anything wrong is because of what I've mentioned. These are people who he wouldn't normally socialise with. It's volunteer campaigners and local staffers in and around the constituency. So in his head it probably doesn't count as a social event, which is fair, but the cake fine set a low bar because the people around that table probably wouldn't choose to socialise with each other either and yet they still got a fine.

Yes. In his head, Starmer doesn't think the laws he voted to pass were meant for this situation. But they were. It was an idiotic policy and has caused untold misery. BJ, SKS etc getting fined if that occurs is the minimum they deserve for their part in it.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes it’s a low bar . I personally thought Johnson wouldn’t receive a FPN for that .

The difference is likely to be that the birthday was purely a social event , in Durham it was work that could have transitioned into social .

There’s now a lot of pressure on Durham police because they now know that their decision will have huge political ramifications. As opposed to the Met where Johnson never intimated he’d resign.
    It's the beer and late finish which is why it meets the low cake bar set by the Met. If it was just a shit curry with people he didn't know and then buggered off back to London on the train at 8pm then there's no controversy. This is curry at 8-late, beers and now socialising with Angela Rayner (who publicly he has to count as a friend). All the Tory party need to say is "intimidation" and it taints the whole investigation and any decision not to issue a FPN.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The thing is with all these incidents, in terms of actually preventing COVID spread, its all quite nonsensical. Stopping for 10 mins to sing happy birthday, when you all had COVID and worked week in week out in the same stuffy office environment for the previous year of the pandemic isn't going to add any significant risk to catching COVID.

What has been lost in all this nonsense about was the cake out of the tupperware, people left their protection screens for the zoom quiz etc, is actually the culture within #10 was really poor, people drinking to excess, total disregard for everything being said to the public, etc etc etc at a time of upmost importance that everybody was doing everything possible to come up with solutions to fast moving situations. And obviously the man who set that culture was Boris.
This discussion has been closed.