Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What’s this chart going to look like on Friday? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    Shockingly the Wail is dropping currygate and instead is leading on the shocking news that leftie lawyers are threatening to sink Boris's brave Rwanda plan.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

kle4 said:

There's no way to avoid the possibility of clubs from the same country getting through to face each other unless you limit each nation to one.

What an insane notion for a so-called "Champions" League.
    Don't start...

Of course 'people don't want to watch X, they want to watch the top teams play each other' was also the pitch of the Super League.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

I don't think Keir will be going for a celebratory curry on Friday 🌶️👍

Johnson can perhaps celebrate with a cake

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Our 2022 local election forecast:

CON: -206
    LAB: +147
    LDEM: +34
    GRN: +35

SNP: -12
    PC: -14

Drilldown:
    sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/05/our-lo…

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1521957860887912448

That's a great result for the Tories.
    Are the SNP expected to lose councilors, or is that a surprise?

I genuinely have no clue
    A lot will depend on how tactical votes change, it's a bit of an unknown.
    In 2017 you'd see transfers going from Labour to Conservative which I predict won't happen as much for two reasons. One being that the Conservatives are generally less popular, and secondly because in some places you'll see Conservatives eliminated before Labour.
    In the latter case, the question is what happens to those Tory votes? I think they will be much more heavily Labour than SNP, so Labour could benefit twice.

Of course, if we get a lot of Labour "overs"* they could break more heavily SNP than the Labour eliminations did 5 years ago, but I suspect we won't see that many of those.

*where the winning candidate has an excess of votes that are partially reallocated to 2nd choices. It's less important than the eliminated candidates' second choice reallocation.

The takeaway is, you need to look beyond the headline VI, because that tends to be about 1st preferences.

Shockingly the Wail is dropping currygate and instead is leading on the shocking news that leftie lawyers are threatening to sink Boris's brave Rwanda plan.

Ah, we've moved onto that phase of the Rwanda plan already then? Priti will be pleased.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Now there's a surprise 🙄
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268
    The lefty lawyers should be tasked to come up with an alternative to Rwanda
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Drilldown:
    https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/05/our-local-election-forecast-for-2022/ https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1521957860887912448/photo/1

Think Boris would settle for that.
    He probably would.
    It's still pretty poor, mind.
    I think I will wait until some votes have been cast before PB tory boys start dribbling over pics of Johnson. The prediction is based on a mathematical least squares progression or something and doesn't take into account people's general hatred of the man. Ask Elsie.
    I suspect the numbers will be larger, but not at the ridiculous -800 tory seats spun by the Mail.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Well done, another "Don't, whatever you do, mention currygate" post.

I love the smell of non-obsession in the morning.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Drilldown:
    https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/05/our-local-election-forecast-for-2022/ https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1521957860887912448/photo/1

He probably would.
    It's not great, given how many of these seats Labour won last time around but it is excusable as mid term blues etc.
    Yup. Looking under the bonnet, it'll be pretty poor, but there will be enough to distract from that if the Conservatives want to be distracted.

Meanwhile, it looks like the first Mail front page in forever that isn't about beergate (Channel crossings, lefty lawyers instead), and the Telegraph story (retired Chief Constable thinks that Durham police probably need to reinvestigate...) looks like pretty thin gruel, really.

https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/
    The Mail headline is hilarious. How dare the lefty lawyers use their magic powers to stop the thing that hasn’t been implemented yet!
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Leon said:

Allow illegal immigrants to shop employers in return for a work to citizenship plan.

Done.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Leon said:

2nd homes
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,171
    Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

When I was a child that was how laundry was done. My mother would ring up, they would come round and collect all my father's shirts, sheets etc then return with them all cleaned, pressed and neatly folded.

No apps of course. But otherwise we are just rediscovering services we used to have before.

And as for @rcs1000's waste Uber, I was doing this for my street years ago. When I went to the Regis Road recycling centre I would ask neighbours if they had stuff to go there and would take it along, especially garden waste, rather than pay for Camden to collect it. In return other favours would be done for me.

If I am elected tomorrow, which seems unlikely, I will fight to remove the booking system introduced for Regis Road recycling centre during the pandemic and return it to just a walk-in service.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    IshmaelZ said:

At the risk of making it worse, the telegraph alleges that the police did not in fact watch the video and decide all was good - they have not actually viewed it.
    Leon said:

Let em in, let em work in curry houses, feeding the hard-working politicians up and down the country.

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

When I was a child that was how laundry was done. My mother would ring up, they would come round and collect all my father's shirts, sheets etc then return with them all cleaned, pressed and neatly folded.

No apps of course. But otherwise we are just rediscovering services we used to have before.

And as for @rcs1000's waste Uber, I was doing this for my street years ago. When I went to the Regis Road recycling centre I would ask neighbours if they had stuff to go there and would take it along, especially garden waste, rather than pay for Camden to collect it. In return other favours would be done for me.

If I am elected tomorrow, which seems unlikely, I will fight to remove the booking system introduced for Regis Road recycling centre during the pandemic and return it to just a walk-in service.
    You’d get my vote.
    IshmaelZ said:

It's evening
    Pep should have played Grealish from the off. He was by far the biggest City threat. Poor
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Drilldown:

I genuinely have no clue
    In 2017 you'd see transfers going from Labour to Conservative which I predict won't happen as much for two reasons. One being that the Conservatives are generally less popular, and secondly because in some places you'll see Conservatives eliminated before Labour.
    In the latter case, the question is what happens to those Tory votes? I think they will be much more heavily Labour than SNP, so Labour could benefit twice.

Of course, if we get a lot of Labour "overs"* they could break more heavily SNP than the Labour eliminations did 5 years ago, but I suspect we won't see that many of those.

*where the winning candidate has an excess of votes that are partially reallocated to 2nd choices. It's less important than the eliminated candidates' second choice reallocation.

The takeaway is, you need to look beyond the headline VI, because that tends to be about 1st preferences.
    So, to summarise. Labour are transfer friendly? Is that where most SNP overs go too?
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,153
    Real Madrid showed they were the big club when they beat PSG in the last 16 when well behind. Big clubs always come through.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    Real Madrid was Franco's team. So I can think of one PBer who'll be cheering them on...
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Maybe. But inability to come up with a good option doesn't necessitate moving ahead with a bad option. Muddling along has many drawbacks, but is a fine old tradition for a reason.

I'm not sure how I would have advised King Herod on how an alternative way to deal with his problems, but I might still be against the massacre of the innocents.

(No, I'm not saying the Rwanda plan is of the same type or scale as Herod's plan, don't be silly).
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Leon said:

Why? Their job is to help prosecute or defend the law as it exists.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Leon said:

I’ve suggested an alternative to you several times, and note you’ve studiously ignored it.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    City really are cursed to never win it.
    edited May 2022

Real Madrid showed they were the big club when they beat PSG in the last 16 when well behind. Big clubs always come through.

Yeah. I don't get where this "they aren't very good" idea has come from.
    They've won La Liga by a street and are in the final. I wouldn't write them off. They have cojones too.

Hard to believe that earlier in the campaign they lost at home to the Moldovan team FC Sheriff, from the breakaway Transnistra.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

Huge clubs like Forest and Villa look down on the pretenders City again this evening
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Drilldown:

I genuinely have no clue

So, to summarise. Labour are transfer friendly? Is that where most SNP overs go too?
    They'll go Green first, then everyone else, then Tory last, I guess.

I'm itching to see how the last few years has affected Tory->Labour and Labour->Tory transfers. If the Labour->Tory transfers hold up, SNP could lose a lot.
    But those Labour gained votes, where are they coming from? If it's SNP voters going "home", or if it's Tories protesting. If the latter group dominate the Labour gains, it's bad news for the SNP.
    Foxy said:

Hard to believe that earlier in the campaign they lost at home to the Moldovan team FC Sheriff, from the breakaway Transnistra.
    FC Sheriff, from Western Novorossiya, I think you mean.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967

Leon said:

Allow illegal immigrants to shop employers in return for a work to citizenship plan.

Done.
    That might affect too many upper middle class types wanting a cheap cleaner or nanny.

Wasn't there a cabinet minister revealed to be employing illegal immigrants during the Brown years ?

And then there was this in the USA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nannygate
    Leon said:

Pep should have played Grealish from the off. He was by far the biggest City threat. Poor

Grealish has been poor all season. Man City were ripped off buying the Villa baboon.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Real Madrid was Franco's team. So I can think of one PBer who'll be cheering them on...

Real were very much against Franco in the civil war. Sid Lowe’s book on Barca and Real is very good on that subject.
    edited May 2022
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’ve suggested an alternative to you several times, and note you’ve studiously ignored it.
    I thought it was a decent effort, bur a failure nonetheless

Because it depends on remarkable amounts of French co-operation and good-will AND even if we get that, the refugees will still come to Calais and the French won’t be able to stop them, the same way we can’t stop them crossing the water

Something like Rwanda seems the only choice, or we must hope that the EU gets a grip on its external borders in south and east
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967

Exclusive YouGov poll for Sky News:
    🔴 Wandsworth leaning Labour
    ⚪️ Westminster too close to call
    ⚪️ Barnet too close to call
    🔴 Croydon will likely stay Labour
    🔴 Southampton leaning Labour
    ⚪️ Worthing too close to call
    ⚪️ Crawley too close to call
    ⚪️ Hull too close to call

https://twitter.com/itssophiemorris/status/1521955547767050243

What was the point in polling Croydon - its a certain Labour hold.
  • dixiedean said:

They've won La Liga by a street and are in the final. I wouldn't write them off. They have cojones too.
    They are a good club, but La Liga is not at the standard of the Premier League. Genuinely nothing else is at present, which is why English clubs have had so many in the European Cup semi-finals for the last half a dozen years.

Madrid have I believe the best European record of any club, while Liverpool have the best European record of any English club. If you want to be the best, you need to beat the best, and it should be a great final.
    tlg86 said:

Real were very much against Franco in the civil war. Sid Lowe’s book on Barca and Real is very good on that subject.
    Wasn't Atletico more the team of the Fash?
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Wasn't Atletico more the team of the Fash?
    Lazio surely?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited May 2022
    Pep Fraudiola.

That is all.

Oh and revenge for 2018 is on.

My first visit overseas after the pandemic will be to Paris at the end of the May.
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's evening
    Not in Vietnam it's not.
    edited May 2022

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

If I am elected tomorrow - which is unlikely - I will make it illegal for people to have ground level letter boxes
    Also would get my vote. And add in not having the brushes behind the letter box too.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089

Having seen the success of the Star's cover today, I imagine they are trying to figure out a pun based on "All Gas and Gaiters" or "Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width".

dixiedean said:

They are a good club, but La Liga is not at the standard of the Premier League. Genuinely nothing else is at present, which is why English clubs have had so many in the European Cup semi-finals for the last half a dozen years.

Madrid have I believe the best European record of any club, while Liverpool have the best European record of any English club. If you want to be the best, you need to beat the best, and it should be a great final.
    And because of that record Madrid have an inner self belief, which City do not, despite City being obviously the superior side (I’d say, over the two legs). Added to home advantage in the 2nd leg it was enough to see Real through today

But Liverpool also have that self belief, they are surely the better team atm, and there won’t be any horne advantage

Liverpool 2-1

How in god's name is Hull too close to call?

dixiedean said:

Well. La Liga Champions just beat the English Champions. So they aren't that far behind. Maybe 6th in England is ahead of 6th in Spain. But how are 20th? Can't imagine they are much worse than Norwich.

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

If I am elected tomorrow - which is unlikely - I will make it illegal for people to have ground level letter boxes
    My next policy is to re-introduce llamas to Parliament Hill.

Steve Fisher
    @StephenDFisher

A note, with John Curtice @whatukthinks, on the methodology for the BBC's local elections Projected National Share of the vote (PNS), and how it may differ from Rallings and Thrasher's National Equivalent Vote (NEV):

https://twitter.com/StephenDFisher/status/1521900304161296384
    tlg86 said:

But after the war, they benefited from his patronage in some rather disgraceful ways
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Well. La Liga Champions just beat the English Champions. So they aren't that far behind. Maybe 6th in England is ahead of 6th in Spain. But how are 20th? Can't imagine they are much worse than Norwich.
    Villareal gave Liverpool a tough match too.

And since when did BT get exclusive rights to the Champions League? Why not just give it to Setanta or DAZN and have done with it so that nobody can watch it.

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Grealish has been poor all season. Man City were ripped off buying the Villa baboon.
    Slightly disingenuous comment with more than a whiff of regional inferiority complex. He’s marooned on the bench when he needs to be playing. I thought it was a stupid move for him at the time. He’d have been better at one of the three big London clubs, or somewhere like that where he’d be the first name on the team sheet.
    edited May 2022
    I'm sure you and Rishi and Carrie can - but what about the rest of us?

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's evening
    Not in Vietnam it's not.
    I DON'T KNOW MAN. I WASN'T THERE.
    Dimitri doing an interesting set of translations from the front. This one is telling.

Russian soldier describes how in their regiment they've had 2 tanks left out of 10. In the morning, rather than going to the sure death his crew broke one of the remaining two tanks and stayed back. https://t.co/NfDuLm97CV
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

29 Lab
    26 LD
    2 Others

• MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Drilldown:

He probably would.
    It's not great, given how many of these seats Labour won last time around but it is excusable as mid term blues etc.
    Yup. Looking under the bonnet, it'll be pretty poor, but there will be enough to distract from that if the Conservatives want to be distracted.

Meanwhile, it looks like the first Mail front page in forever that isn't about beergate (Channel crossings, lefty lawyers instead), and the Telegraph story (retired Chief Constable thinks that Durham police probably need to reinvestigate...) looks like pretty thin gruel, really.

What a funny load of front pages. Not much catching the eye at all.

It’s given us a few questions though.

Ports want millions from government for white elephant Brexit border posts claims the Financial Times. It’s this a fair ask after Jacob Rees Mogg decision not to implement the Governments Brexit deal?

Trump Sways Vote says the Times. Is this true, a rush of late support for winner only following Trumps backing?

And if we dismiss Johnson and Mail’s explanation why Rwanda plan is delayed, what is the actual reason for delay?

Own-brand wallpaper from now on
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Damn, I love an all English final. But hopefully that will break their will elsewhere.

I hate an all English final. We watch that every season.CL is better when international.
    It is international. If English teams prove to be the two best teams it is no less international.
    It is boring. We see that match a few times each season.
    That's a separate argument to 'CL is better when international' though. There's no way to avoid the possibility of clubs from the same country getting through to face each other unless you limit each nation to one.
    You mean only allow the champions of each league to play in the Champions League?

It's been pretty close since 2018. Got a big Lib Dem presence. Only 1 Tory on the Council.

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Damn, I love an all English final. But hopefully that will break their will elsewhere.

I hate an all English final. We watch that every season.CL is better when international.
    It is international. If English teams prove to be the two best teams it is no less international.
    That's a separate argument to 'CL is better when international' though. There's no way to avoid the possibility of clubs from the same country getting through to face each other unless you limit each nation to one.
    You mean only allow the champions of each league to play in the Champions League?
    And maybe call it the European Cup?

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Just crazy enough to work, you'd think.

Except not, because peopel do want to see more of these types of game, not less.

If you cannot find a Peer to pay for your stuff, without you even knowing about the details, that's on you for not showing enough initiative.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534
    So the beergate horse has finally been put down by the Mail who now go after lawyers for doing the job they’re paid for !

How long before another despicable enemies of the people headline . The DM is the most disgusting cesspit of a paper . Come the revolution Dacre and the rest of the hate peddlers will be rotting in a jail cell .

Pep Fraudiola.

That is all.

Oh and revenge for 2018 is on.

My first visit overseas after the pandemic will be to Paris at the end of the May.

Somethings come up at work you can’t go - tomorrow you are getting the prestigious job of making sure the new Hub ready for Launch at the end of the month 😆

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

When were they introduced in the first place?
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Quite an interesting international club ranking here

4 of the top 10 are English (including 3 of the top 4), 6 of the top 20 are English, etc

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/global-club-rankings/

After that it does even out more, tho it is clear the EPL is ascendant, next comes La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga a distance behind, the French league is silly

Norwich are not doing well

The big advantage of the EPL is that it has those 6 or 7 teams who could all win it, within reason (soon to be joined by Newcastle?)

No other league has that
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Just crazy enough to work, you'd think.

Except not, because peopel do want to see more of these types of game, not less.
    Up to a point. I don’t think think they want it all the time.Id argue that the current CL format is pretty good. The ghastly idea of a real league, with clubs no longer featuring in their national leagues, and no route in and out is totally detached from what fans want.

He might have to go for silver rather than gold wallpaper with the next redecoration.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

Yes - I used that once during the pandemic. Then a few times later I just turned up without booking and no-one checked at all. In fact, one of the staff there was very helpful in helping me carry heavy stuff to the containers.

Which party are you standing for, out of interest? And where in Camden? If you don't mind me asking.
    Course.
    Real also have a manager of such gifted genius he took this Everton side to a comfortable tenth place.
    God like ability.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

Also would get my vote. And add in not having the brushes behind the letter box too.
    Dogs that concuss themselves on the front door.

Silent dogs.

Hidden letter boxes in hedges so that you walk up a long drive, search for a letter box, give up and leave under the mat, see box after you have closed the gate, open the gate and go up the drive, retrieve the leaflet and put in box in the hedge on your return.

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Drilldown:

He probably would.

What a funny load of front pages. Not much catching the eye at all.

It’s given us a few questions though.

Ports want millions from government for white elephant Brexit border posts claims the Financial Times. It’s this a fair ask after Jacob Rees Mogg decision not to implement the Governments Brexit deal?

Trump Sways Vote says the Times. Is this true, a rush of late support for winner only following Trumps backing?

And if we dismiss Johnson and Mail’s explanation why Rwanda plan is delayed, what is the actual reason for delay?
    He's incompetent and utterly unfit for office in every conceivable way?
    Just an idea.
    nico679 said:

So the beergate horse has finally been put down by the Mail who now go after lawyers for doing the job they’re paid for !

How long before another despicable enemies of the people headline . The DM is the most disgusting cesspit of a paper . Come the revolution Dacre and the rest of the hate peddlers will be rotting in a jail cell .

I just find it utterly laughable now – Daily Star levels of satire, but without the comedic intelligence or self-awareness
    Rob Ford - "We could well be looking at a mixed picture come [locals] results, which suits Boris Johnson" - Newsnight
    edited May 2022
    nico679 said:

Really is best ignored. It's speaking only to it's own readership.
    Everyone else instinctively disbelieves anything it says.
    Chill. Mail's gonna Mail.
    And Mail readers lap it up. But they would anyway, Mail or no.
    nico679 said:

There have been nonsense legal actions from people pursuing politics by other means, but that is not so big a problem that the ability to challenge should curtailed, given the many many examples where for reasons of poor drafting, poor policy or some other reason, the government (now and in the past) has acted unlawfully. Longstanding governments in particularly seem to get tired and frustrated by obstacles, and increasingly tempted to stop challenge rather than stop actions which lead to challenge.
    That game was unreal . Real Madrid seem to have their name on the trophy given they seem to get outplayed and keep scraping through . Liverpool are by far a better team but so were Man City .

Rob Ford - "We could well be looking at a mixed picture come [locals] results, which suits Boris Johnson" - Newsnight

The locals are as near as dammit irrelevant. The big story will be a victorious Michelle O'Neill as First Minister (designate if not absolute) – when the media finally wake up to it.
    dixiedean said:

It's been pretty close since 2018. Got a big Lib Dem presence. Only 1 Tory on the Council.
    Libdems winning Hull from Labour!

Do we get custody of Emu too?

Admittedly I was surprised on the upside that there were a few MPs who had been waiting for a partygate fine before coming out against the PM, but I fear those waiting on an unambiguous disaster in the locals to provide a backbone to many others may be be disappointed.

There are no elections so managed in their expectations than local elections.
    dixiedean said:

Course.
    Real also have a manager of such gifted genius he took this Everton side to a comfortable tenth place.
    God like ability.

His finest hour! ;)

And since when did BT get exclusive rights to the Champions League? Why not just give it to Setanta or DAZN and have done with it so that nobody can watch it.

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Slightly disingenuous comment with more than a whiff of regional inferiority complex. He’s marooned on the bench when he needs to be playing. I thought it was a stupid move for him at the time. He’d have been better at one of the three big London clubs, or somewhere like that where he’d be the first name on the team sheet.
    I have watched Grealish play a number of times for Villa. He spends all his time on his arse after falling very easily. He only looked good because the rest of Villa were even worse.
    Should we see a higher turnout than normal a bad sign for the Tories .
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

Yes - I used that once during the pandemic. Then a few times later I just turned up without booking and no-one checked at all. In fact, one of the staff there was very helpful in helping me carry heavy stuff to the containers.

Which party are you standing for, out of interest? And where in Camden? If you don't mind me asking.
    My local tip still has the covid booking nonsense on its website but like you I learned long ago that there hasn't been anyone checking for several decades.
    nico679 said:

LOL

You are advocating the imprisonment of the free press, because they are saying not-nice things about Big Brother

Come the revolution I am confident you will be first to sign up for the sonderkommando.

Are they doing General Election battleground places, for a “Starmer not doing enough to deprive Johnson of Majority” piece?

The locals are as near as dammit irrelevant. The big story will be a victorious Michelle O'Neill as First Minister (designate if not absolute) – when the media finally wake up to it.
    Yep. And the delicious possibility of Alliance second.
    They'll still frot over wards in Wandsworth and Westminster mind.
    Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h
    The film maker [of the Starmer video] added: “It was pretty outrageous because at the time we were not allowed to have our friends over and everything was shut down, feeling very isolated.

"It was a kick in the teeth that they were having a bit of a jolly inside. So I thought I would film it."

https://twitter.com/christopherhope
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

When were they introduced in the first place?
    Angela Burdett-Coutts had 2 on her estate before it became the Holly Lodge Estate/got added to the Heath. So, mid-nineteenth century.
    IshmaelZ said:

nico679 said:

LOL

You are advocating the imprisonment of the free press, because they are saying not-nice things about Big Brother

Come the revolution I am confident you will be first to sign up for the sonderkommando.
    I was being hyperbolic ! I thought that was obvious but come the revolution the DM will be nationalized and turned into a leftie loving avocado on toast for breakfast paper !
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

I have watched Grealish play a number of times for Villa. He spends all his time on his arse after falling very easily. He only looked good because the rest of Villa were even worse.
    I think that’s unfair. He is talented a draws fouls easily, which suits sides who do well on set pieces. I think he was a poor choice for City - an example of buying a player for the sake of buying a player. I’m note sure he fits with how city play.
    I can see him coming on for England in a World Cup final, drawing a foul, and from the free kick Kane heads in from James ward prowse’s cross to win in the last minute.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,153

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

Everyone on this site - even centre party social liberals like me - want you to win. You will be there! 👍
    nico679 said:

Should we see a higher turnout than normal a bad sign for the Tories .

There won’t be a high turnout.
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

I've been and been checked, and been and not had anyone check.

I am standing in Highgate ward as a LibDem candidate.
    Why have Daily Mirror put this funny painting of Liz Truzz on front of their paper?

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

I think that’s unfair. He is talented a draws fouls easily, which suits sides who do well on set pieces. I think he was a poor choice for City - an example of buying a player for the sake of buying a player. I’m note sure he fits with how city play.
    I can see him coming on for England in a World Cup final, drawing a foul, and from the free kick Kane heads in from James ward prowse’s cross to win in the last minute.
    ...and then you woke up.
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Quite an interesting international club ranking here

4 of the top 10 are English (including 3 of the top 4), 6 of the top 20 are English, etc

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/global-club-rankings/

After that it does even out more, tho it is clear the EPL is ascendant, next comes La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga a distance behind, the French league is silly

Norwich are not doing well

The big advantage of the EPL is that it has those 6 or 7 teams who could all win it, within reason (soon to be joined by Newcastle?)

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Serie A has four teams within 8 points with 3 to play.
    Our second place is sixteen clear of third with 4 left.
    It's becoming.like Scotland.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Nigelb said:

For those still interested in the arguments over US constitutional law, this is an excellent thread about what ‘originalism’ might actually mean.
    https://twitter.com/hilzoy/status/1521869746878177281

Includes this remarkable anecdote.
    … Minor digression: I once pressed Scalia on this point, and he said as much: that it was BECAUSE there was no meaning of terms like liberty' that we could figure out that we had to rely on the extension of 'liberty' as understood by the framers.
    … 23/ So I asked him: are you saying that you, unlike the Framers, are a moral nihilist?, and he said: yes.

One of the more astonishing moments of my life.

Surely America has a simple solution. The problem is too many young men depositing sperms inside young ladies. Vasectomies can be reversed, so simply sterilise all young American men at the age of 14 so that there are no unwanted pregnancies.

Then once they have demonstrated they are morally sound and financially secure they can appeal to a legal system largely run by women who can mandate them to have their vasectomies reversed.

What do you mean no? But you think men should interfere with women's bodies...
    I watched Starship Troopers again recently - amazing film - and afterwards I was musing about the ways in which the fascist society depicted manufactured consent and manipulated its populace.

There's one scene when one of the infantry recruits says they signed up because they wanted babies, and it was a lot easier to get a licence if you were a citizen. And I couldn't quite work out how it would work.

With the Chinese one-child policy there were a lot of forced sterilisations once women had had their permitted child, but that's an easier way to control the process than the more nuanced no babies without a licence.

I wondered about compulsory contraceptive implants, but perhaps forced vasectomies would be the way to do it, as they wouldn't need replacing in the way that hormonal implants would, and are more reliable.

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h
    The film maker [of the Starmer video] added: “It was pretty outrageous because at the time we were not allowed to have our friends over and everything was shut down, feeling very isolated.

"It was a kick in the teeth that they were having a bit of a jolly inside. So I thought I would film it."

https://twitter.com/christopherhope

Oooh. That’s BAD for Starmer

Delicious
This discussion has been closed.