Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What’s this chart going to look like on Friday? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120

Foxy said:

And since when did BT get exclusive rights to the Champions League? Why not just give it to Setanta or DAZN and have done with it so that nobody can watch it.

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pep should have played Grealish from the off. He was by far the biggest City threat. Poor

Grealish has been poor all season. Man City were ripped off buying the Villa baboon.
    Slightly disingenuous comment with more than a whiff of regional inferiority complex. He’s marooned on the bench when he needs to be playing. I thought it was a stupid move for him at the time. He’d have been better at one of the three big London clubs, or somewhere like that where he’d be the first name on the team sheet.
    I have watched Grealish play a number of times for Villa. He spends all his time on his arse after falling very easily. He only looked good because the rest of Villa were even worse.
    I think that’s unfair. He is talented a draws fouls easily, which suits sides who do well on set pieces. I think he was a poor choice for City - an example of buying a player for the sake of buying a player. I’m note sure he fits with how city play.
    I can see him coming on for England in a World Cup final, drawing a foul, and from the free kick Kane heads in from James ward prowse’s cross to win in the last minute.
    ...and then you woke up.
    Ok, I got carried away at the end, but I do stand by him being a decent player...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Damn, I love an all English final. But hopefully that will break their will elsewhere.

I hate an all English final. We watch that every season.CL is better when international.
    It is international. If English teams prove to be the two best teams it is no less international.
    It is boring. We see that match a few times each season.
    That's a separate argument to 'CL is better when international' though. There's no way to avoid the possibility of clubs from the same country getting through to face each other unless you limit each nation to one.
    You mean only allow the champions of each league to play in the Champions League?
    Just crazy enough to work, you'd think.

Except not, because peopel do want to see more of these types of game, not less.
    2nd, 3rd and 4th would play in the UEFA Cup, rather than the mid-table mediocrities who fluke their way into Europe and devalue the competition.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    edited May 2022
    kle4 said:

Rob Ford - "We could well be looking at a mixed picture come [locals] results, which suits Boris Johnson" - Newsnight

Admittedly I was surprised on the upside that there were a few MPs who had been waiting for a partygate fine before coming out against the PM, but I fear those waiting on an unambiguous disaster in the locals to provide a backbone to many others may be be disappointed.

There are no elections so managed in their expectations than local elections.
    This. 100x this. :+1:

Expecting that the locals tomorrow will deliver a result that will tip MPs on tory backbench into regicide is a fool's game.

There will always be excuses and of course the wait for Sue Grey.

Unless they act within a month then it is too late. After that we are too close to conference season for a leadership election and once that is over with we are into the run-up to next GE (which no doubt to help focus minds Johnson will leave a few hints about timing and so on) and therefore again too late to change horses.

Johnson is totally banking on getting through to July recess. And then he is leader for next GE imho.

He will help massage a wait long enough to get to July by announcing a reshuffle. This will be all about 'resets' and 'fresh starts' and 'new blood' as we drive on forward to tackle what the people have told us matters - and that's immigration, nhs and cost of living. "We have heard the voice at the local elections of the people and we have acted and that is why Sunak has been sacked". etc etc etc

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

When I was a child that was how laundry was done. My mother would ring up, they would come round and collect all my father's shirts, sheets etc then return with them all cleaned, pressed and neatly folded.

No apps of course. But otherwise we are just rediscovering services we used to have before.

And as for @rcs1000's waste Uber, I was doing this for my street years ago. When I went to the Regis Road recycling centre I would ask neighbours if they had stuff to go there and would take it along, especially garden waste, rather than pay for Camden to collect it. In return other favours would be done for me.

If I am elected tomorrow, which seems unlikely, I will fight to remove the booking system introduced for Regis Road recycling centre during the pandemic and return it to just a walk-in service.
    If I am elected tomorrow - which is unlikely - I will make it illegal for people to have ground level letter boxes
    My next policy is to re-introduce llamas to Parliament Hill.
    When were they introduced in the first place?
    Angela Burdett-Coutts had 2 on her estate before it became the Holly Lodge Estate/got added to the Heath. So, mid-nineteenth century.
    If we're into reintroducing things, can we get the rag and bone man back please? I loved hearing and seeing him.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Real Madrid showed they were the big club when they beat PSG in the last 16 when well behind. Big clubs always come through.

Yeah. I don't get where this "they aren't very good" idea has come from.
    They've won La Liga by a street and are in the final. I wouldn't write them off. They have cojones too.
    They are a good club, but La Liga is not at the standard of the Premier League. Genuinely nothing else is at present, which is why English clubs have had so many in the European Cup semi-finals for the last half a dozen years.

Madrid have I believe the best European record of any club, while Liverpool have the best European record of any English club. If you want to be the best, you need to beat the best, and it should be a great final.
    Well. La Liga Champions just beat the English Champions. So they aren't that far behind. Maybe 6th in England is ahead of 6th in Spain. But how are 20th? Can't imagine they are much worse than Norwich.
    Quite an interesting international club ranking here

4 of the top 10 are English (including 3 of the top 4), 6 of the top 20 are English, etc

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/global-club-rankings/

After that it does even out more, tho it is clear the EPL is ascendant, next comes La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga a distance behind, the French league is silly

Norwich are not doing well

The big advantage of the EPL is that it has those 6 or 7 teams who could all win it, within reason (soon to be joined by Newcastle?)

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Recent years Man Utd, Leicester, Liverpool, citeh, Chelsea. This year is two for sure, but start of the season many people had Chelsea as favourites.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,733

nico679 said:

Should we see a higher turnout than normal a bad sign for the Tories .

There won’t be a high turnout.
    Not high but just higher than normal . Angry people tend to want to get off their arse and vote .
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Real Madrid showed they were the big club when they beat PSG in the last 16 when well behind. Big clubs always come through.

They've won La Liga by a street and are in the final. I wouldn't write them off. They have cojones too.
    They are a good club, but La Liga is not at the standard of the Premier League. Genuinely nothing else is at present, which is why English clubs have had so many in the European Cup semi-finals for the last half a dozen years.

Madrid have I believe the best European record of any club, while Liverpool have the best European record of any English club. If you want to be the best, you need to beat the best, and it should be a great final.
    Well. La Liga Champions just beat the English Champions. So they aren't that far behind. Maybe 6th in England is ahead of 6th in Spain. But how are 20th? Can't imagine they are much worse than Norwich.

4 of the top 10 are English (including 3 of the top 4), 6 of the top 20 are English, etc

After that it does even out more, tho it is clear the EPL is ascendant, next comes La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga a distance behind, the French league is silly

The big advantage of the EPL is that it has those 6 or 7 teams who could all win it, within reason (soon to be joined by Newcastle?)

No other league has that
    It was an interesting read until I saw Brighton at number 20……
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,813
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    I’m talking about over the last 10 years or so
  • Options
    kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

When I was a child that was how laundry was done. My mother would ring up, they would come round and collect all my father's shirts, sheets etc then return with them all cleaned, pressed and neatly folded.

No apps of course. But otherwise we are just rediscovering services we used to have before.

And as for @rcs1000's waste Uber, I was doing this for my street years ago. When I went to the Regis Road recycling centre I would ask neighbours if they had stuff to go there and would take it along, especially garden waste, rather than pay for Camden to collect it. In return other favours would be done for me.

If I am elected tomorrow, which seems unlikely, I will fight to remove the booking system introduced for Regis Road recycling centre during the pandemic and return it to just a walk-in service.
    If I am elected tomorrow - which is unlikely - I will make it illegal for people to have ground level letter boxes
    Also would get my vote. And add in not having the brushes behind the letter box too.
    Dogs that concuss themselves on the front door.

Silent dogs.

Hidden letter boxes in hedges so that you walk up a long drive, search for a letter box, give up and leave under the mat, see box after you have closed the gate, open the gate and go up the drive, retrieve the leaflet and put in box in the hedge on your return.
    There are a couple of houses I tried to leaflet where I couldn't even find the door, never mind the letter box!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

Angela Burdett-Coutts had 2 on her estate before it became the Holly Lodge Estate/got added to the Heath. So, mid-nineteenth century.
    If we're into reintroducing things, can we get the rag and bone man back please? I loved hearing and seeing him.
    We had a rag and bone man until just before the pandemic, although I can't remember seeing him since 2020... I think the levers of local council power may be insufficient to solve this problem.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,057
    Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h
    The film maker [of the Starmer video] added: “It was pretty outrageous because at the time we were not allowed to have our friends over and everything was shut down, feeling very isolated.

"It was a kick in the teeth that they were having a bit of a jolly inside. So I thought I would film it."

https://twitter.com/christopherhope

Oooh. That’s BAD for Starmer

Delicious
    ...curry.

Is this the video that plod have already perused?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

nico679 said:

High turnouts point to vote switching between parties rather than win simply due to stay at home on mass results surely?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

We had a rag and bone man until just before the pandemic, although I can't remember seeing him since 2020... I think the levers of local council power may be insufficient to solve this problem.
    We have one. Incredibly useful.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Not high but just higher than normal . Angry people tend to want to get off their arse and vote .
    Don’t mistake social media for real people. I know a lot of people are struggling, but I don’t think they will rush out and vote in the locals.
  • Options

Foxy said:

And since when did BT get exclusive rights to the Champions League? Why not just give it to Setanta or DAZN and have done with it so that nobody can watch it.

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pep should have played Grealish from the off. He was by far the biggest City threat. Poor

Grealish has been poor all season. Man City were ripped off buying the Villa baboon.
    Slightly disingenuous comment with more than a whiff of regional inferiority complex. He’s marooned on the bench when he needs to be playing. I thought it was a stupid move for him at the time. He’d have been better at one of the three big London clubs, or somewhere like that where he’d be the first name on the team sheet.
    I have watched Grealish play a number of times for Villa. He spends all his time on his arse after falling very easily. He only looked good because the rest of Villa were even worse.
    I think that’s unfair. He is talented a draws fouls easily, which suits sides who do well on set pieces. I think he was a poor choice for City - an example of buying a player for the sake of buying a player. I’m note sure he fits with how city play.
    I can see him coming on for England in a World Cup final, drawing a foul, and from the free kick Kane heads in from James ward prowse’s cross to win in the last minute.
    ...and then you woke up.
    Ok, I got carried away at the end, but I do stand by him being a decent player...
    On the QT, I quite like Grealish despite his Villa heritage. As a Baggie, I shouldn't.
  • Options

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h
    The film maker [of the Starmer video] added: “It was pretty outrageous because at the time we were not allowed to have our friends over and everything was shut down, feeling very isolated.

"It was a kick in the teeth that they were having a bit of a jolly inside. So I thought I would film it."

Delicious
    ...curry.

Apparently not
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Exactly, see my post.
  • Options

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

The telegraph suggests that they have not, in fact, watched it.
  • Options
    If the locals turn into a proxy for a protest vote to force the government into giving more help then it will be a bad day for the Tories .

There’s no elections here so I haven’t seen what the political messaging has been in terms of campaign literature .
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

...and then you woke up.
    On the QT, I quite like Grealish despite his Villa heritage. As a Baggie, I shouldn't.
    He’s a strange player, he comes and goes, and he does fall over an awful lot

But when he came on today he switched on the lights and City nearly scored twice, you can’t help feeling if he’d been on earlier he would have sealed the game, so any late rally by Real would have been too late
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

...and then you woke up.
    That’s fair.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    dixiedean said:

Rob Ford - "We could well be looking at a mixed picture come [locals] results, which suits Boris Johnson" - Newsnight

The locals are as near as dammit irrelevant. The big story will be a victorious Michelle O'Neill as First Minister (designate if not absolute) – when the media finally wake up to it.
    Yep. And the delicious possibility of Alliance second.
    They'll still frot over wards in Wandsworth and Westminster mind.
    It really is quite bizarre. There was massive publicity when the SNP rose to power in Scotland. Yet this is a step above: a First Minister of a quasi-statelet she considers to be under illegal occupation by a foreign power.

Yet who empties the bins in Killarney Road, SW18, is, naturally, paramount.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Our 2022 local election forecast:

CON: -206
    LAB: +147
    LDEM: +34
    GRN: +35

SNP: -12
    PC: -14

Drilldown:
    https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/05/our-local-election-forecast-for-2022/ https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1521957860887912448/photo/1

Think Boris would settle for that.
    He probably would.
    It's still pretty poor, mind.
    It's not great, given how many of these seats Labour won last time around but it is excusable as mid term blues etc.
    Yup. Looking under the bonnet, it'll be pretty poor, but there will be enough to distract from that if the Conservatives want to be distracted.

Meanwhile, it looks like the first Mail front page in forever that isn't about beergate (Channel crossings, lefty lawyers instead), and the Telegraph story (retired Chief Constable thinks that Durham police probably need to reinvestigate...) looks like pretty thin gruel, really.

https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/
    What a funny load of front pages. Not much catching the eye at all.

It’s given us a few questions though.

Ports want millions from government for white elephant Brexit border posts claims the Financial Times. It’s this a fair ask after Jacob Rees Mogg decision not to implement the Governments Brexit deal?

Trump Sways Vote says the Times. Is this true, a rush of late support for winner only following Trumps backing?

And if we dismiss Johnson and Mail’s explanation why Rwanda plan is delayed, what is the actual reason for delay?
    He's incompetent and utterly unfit for office in every conceivable way?
    Just an idea.
    Mogg, Trump, Johnson or the Ohio candidate?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Fair enough.
    However. Chelsea are a stunningly poor third place team.
    I can't rate them higher than the third in Italy or Spain right now.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

If the locals turn into a proxy for a protest vote to force the government into giving more help then it will be a bad day for the Tories .

There’s no elections here so I haven’t seen what the political messaging has been in terms of campaign literature .

No election for us in leafy wilts. Very low number of posters on our travels west at the weekend. I think there is a degree of apathy. I suspect that’s what might limit a Labour GE majority, yes people want a change, but a Labour have not yet enthused anyone that they have the answers.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Yes, Foxy's analysis is rotten. As I say upthread, it's just the wrong club for him.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

For those still interested in the arguments over US constitutional law, this is an excellent thread about what ‘originalism’ might actually mean.
    https://twitter.com/hilzoy/status/1521869746878177281

Includes this remarkable anecdote.
    … Minor digression: I once pressed Scalia on this point, and he said as much: that it was BECAUSE there was no meaning of terms like liberty' that we could figure out that we had to rely on the extension of 'liberty' as understood by the framers.
    … 23/ So I asked him: are you saying that you, unlike the Framers, are a moral nihilist?, and he said: yes.

One of the more astonishing moments of my life.

Surely America has a simple solution. The problem is too many young men depositing sperms inside young ladies. Vasectomies can be reversed, so simply sterilise all young American men at the age of 14 so that there are no unwanted pregnancies.

Then once they have demonstrated they are morally sound and financially secure they can appeal to a legal system largely run by women who can mandate them to have their vasectomies reversed.

What do you mean no? But you think men should interfere with women's bodies...
    I watched Starship Troopers again recently - amazing film - and afterwards I was musing about the ways in which the fascist society depicted manufactured consent and manipulated its populace.

There's one scene when one of the infantry recruits says they signed up because they wanted babies, and it was a lot easier to get a licence if you were a citizen. And I couldn't quite work out how it would work.

With the Chinese one-child policy there were a lot of forced sterilisations once women had had their permitted child, but that's an easier way to control the process than the more nuanced no babies without a licence.

I wondered about compulsory contraceptive implants, but perhaps forced vasectomies would be the way to do it, as they wouldn't need replacing in the way that hormonal implants would, and are more reliable.
    Good that we are having a debate over the most effective way to achieve mass sterilisation.

Once we've decided on the best approach, time for universal implementation. (Humans only)

And it would put an end to the abortion debate as a bit of a Brucie Bonus.

Night all.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Re Laundryheap -

Yes - I used that once during the pandemic. Then a few times later I just turned up without booking and no-one checked at all. In fact, one of the staff there was very helpful in helping me carry heavy stuff to the containers.

Which party are you standing for, out of interest? And where in Camden? If you don't mind me asking.
    I've been and been checked, and been and not had anyone check.

I am standing in Highgate ward as a LibDem candidate.
    Best of luck!
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Exactly, see my post.
    I didn’t actually realise how bad things were over there in the EU till I checked,

Bayern have just won their ninth title in a row in Germany. But Serie A is hardly any better: Juventus won nine straight titles from 2011 to 2020

And as for France, lol

No wonder they all want the Super League
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    INSTANT KORMA Sir Keir Starmer turns down Indian takeaway and San Miguel from The Sun after TV bruising

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18463422/keir-starmer-takeaway-the-sun/
  • Options
    How things have changed .

I remember the IRA bombings , and how you never had any bins at train stations for fear of bombs planted in them . Sinn Fein then sparked fear in many .

Now compared to the DUP they seem quite sane and likeable and have a real star in the very charismatic Michelle O’Neill .

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Exactly, see my post.
    I didn’t actually realise how bad things were over there in the EU till I checked,

Bayern have just won their ninth title in a row in Germany. But Serie A is hardly any better: Juventus won nine straight titles from 2011 to 2020

And as for France, lol

Yes, the Premier League is always compelling as even the mid table sides need putting away. This season is odd, there are a lot of sides on around 40 points, two exceptional sides and around five who are better than the rest, but nowhere near the top two.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Admittedly I was surprised on the upside that there were a few MPs who had been waiting for a partygate fine before coming out against the PM, but I fear those waiting on an unambiguous disaster in the locals to provide a backbone to many others may be be disappointed.

Expecting that the locals tomorrow will deliver a result that will tip MPs on tory backbench into regicide is a fool's game.

Unless they act within a month then it is too late. After that we are too close to conference season for a leadership election and once that is over with we are into the run-up to next GE (which no doubt to help focus minds Johnson will leave a few hints about timing and so on) and therefore again too late to change horses.

Johnson is totally banking on getting through to July recess. And then he is leader for next GE imho.

He will help massage a wait long enough to get to July by announcing a reshuffle. This will be all about 'resets' and 'fresh starts' and 'new blood' as we drive on forward to tackle what the people have told us matters - and that's immigration, nhs and cost of living. "We have heard the voice at the local elections of the people and we have acted and that is why Sunak has been sacked". etc etc etc

G – R – A – Y

G

R

A

Y
  • Options

dixiedean said:

The locals are as near as dammit irrelevant. The big story will be a victorious Michelle O'Neill as First Minister (designate if not absolute) – when the media finally wake up to it.
    It really is quite bizarre. There was massive publicity when the SNP rose to power in Scotland. Yet this is a step above: a First Minister of a quasi-statelet she considers to be under illegal occupation by a foreign power.

Sinn Fein have already shared power at the top. It doesn’t feel revolutionary for them to come top. It’s not like they are going to take 68% of the vote

Also, Ulster is boring. Let’s hope it remains so after tomorrow….
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,099

Nigelb said:

For those still interested in the arguments over US constitutional law, this is an excellent thread about what ‘originalism’ might actually mean.

… Minor digression: I once pressed Scalia on this point, and he said as much: that it was BECAUSE there was no meaning of terms like liberty' that we could figure out that we had to rely on the extension of 'liberty' as understood by the framers.
    … 23/ So I asked him: are you saying that you, unlike the Framers, are a moral nihilist?, and he said: yes.

Surely America has a simple solution. The problem is too many young men depositing sperms inside young ladies. Vasectomies can be reversed, so simply sterilise all young American men at the age of 14 so that there are no unwanted pregnancies.

Then once they have demonstrated they are morally sound and financially secure they can appeal to a legal system largely run by women who can mandate them to have their vasectomies reversed.

I watched Starship Troopers again recently - amazing film - and afterwards I was musing about the ways in which the fascist society depicted manufactured consent and manipulated its populace.

There's one scene when one of the infantry recruits says they signed up because they wanted babies, and it was a lot easier to get a licence if you were a citizen. And I couldn't quite work out how it would work.

With the Chinese one-child policy there were a lot of forced sterilisations once women had had their permitted child, but that's an easier way to control the process than the more nuanced no babies without a licence.

I wondered about compulsory contraceptive implants, but perhaps forced vasectomies would be the way to do it, as they wouldn't need replacing in the way that hormonal implants would, and are more reliable.
    Good that we are having a debate over the most effective way to achieve mass sterilisation.

Once we've decided on the best approach, time for universal implementation. (Humans only)

Night all.
    I guess the implication is that I regard the state controlling the reproduction of its populace as fascistic, and I am opposed.
  • Options

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

But the “i” chooses Election Day to splash beergate and Starmer’s flawed leadership across its front page.

That will give Big G sweet dreams tonight 🤭
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Fair enough.
    Er, Chelsea should probably have beaten Real, and came exceedingly close - this year
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Exactly, see my post.

And as for France, lol

Yes, the Premier League is always compelling as even the mid table sides need putting away. This season is odd, there are a lot of sides on around 40 points, two exceptional sides and around five who are better than the rest, but nowhere near the top two.
    That's pretty much La Liga and Serie A too. I'm responding to the idea that the Premier League is streets ahead. It really isn't. The standard at the bottom end isn't great. And the gap is growing every year.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    SOME may be sick of hearing about No10 parties and Labour’s lockdown-breaking curry. But they matter because Keir Starmer himself made them matter.

It is laughable for him now to moan that the cost of living is being sidelined by a media obsessed with “Tory mud-slinging” over his beery Durham jolly.

For months Labour’s leader bombarded Boris Johnson with a non-stop onslaught of pious rage over lockdown breaches he treated as the gravest crime imaginable. He cannot hope to hide now that the tables are turned.

What’s more, his own offence goes far beyond the illicit £200 takeaway or even the lies his party continues to tell….

They tried to convince voters of Labour’s moral superiority, constructing a witch-hunt and pressurising police to wade in, while knowing they were guilty of the same rule-breaking.

What ­monstrous, deceitful hypocrisy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18464477/sir-keir-starmer-looks-guilty/
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Fair enough.
    Er, Chelsea should probably have beaten Real, and came exceedingly close - this year
    And so should City.
    Except they didn't did they?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,493

Pep Fraudiola.

That is all.

Oh and revenge for 2018 is on.

My first visit overseas after the pandemic will be to Paris at the end of the May.

Proper (and improper) authorities have been notified.

All leave cancelled for riot police from May 20 until further notice. "Pour la défense de la république"
  • Options

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

But the “i” chooses Election Day to splash beergate and Starmer’s flawed leadership across its front page.

It won’t have any impact , the whole beergate saga has been a damp squib . It never led any of the news coverage and Starmer has deflected it by saying it’s just Tory desperation.

Who knows what might happen a few weeks down the line , perhaps more might come out but I can’t see it impacting the elections .
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,457
    I was trying to see which council/councils had a popular vote share in 2018 closest to the projected national vote share of 35/35/16 according to the BBC or 37/36/14 according to Rallings & Thrasher.

It turns out the only one that was close was Peterborough whose figures were Con 35.5%, Lab 34.2%, LD 10.7%. The LD share is still a bit low though. Surprising there was only 1 out of 200 councils as close as this one.

https://andrewteale.me.uk/leap/results/2018/70/
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Night all.
    Rather your trademark – say something controversial then immediately go to bed so no one can respond to you. "Night all" – FFS.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Fair enough.
    Leon, if you don't mind answering - where the hell ARE you?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

kle4 said:

Absolutely spot on Rotten. The reshuffle will happen straight away to steal the media narrative from disappoint result and grumpy ex councillors - so the First Lady Chancellor is just hours away. And that will give Tories a bounce from women in particular.

The Queens Speech is titled Levelling Up (phrase missing from your post)

They are already attacking and hollowing out the Sue Gray report, so that it can be called partisan and flawed when it comes.

Big Dog will make that recess.

I think his problems come after the recess. When was last time Johnson gave a good speech? His problems seemed to begin with his INSANE conference speech last year. In depth of credit crunch don’t think he can get away with poor speech this autumn.
  • Options

SOME may be sick of hearing about No10 parties and Labour’s lockdown-breaking curry. But they matter because Keir Starmer himself made them matter.

It is laughable for him now to moan that the cost of living is being sidelined by a media obsessed with “Tory mud-slinging” over his beery Durham jolly.

For months Labour’s leader bombarded Boris Johnson with a non-stop onslaught of pious rage over lockdown breaches he treated as the gravest crime imaginable. He cannot hope to hide now that the tables are turned.

What’s more, his own offence goes far beyond the illicit £200 takeaway or even the lies his party continues to tell….

They tried to convince voters of Labour’s moral superiority, constructing a witch-hunt and pressurising police to wade in, while knowing they were guilty of the same rule-breaking.

It's of the utmost importance if you can afford your gas bill. If not, ignore.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,099
    Andy_JS said:

I was trying to see which council/councils had a popular vote share in 2018 closest to the projected national vote share of 35/35/16 according to the BBC or 37/36/14 according to Rallings & Thrasher.

It turns out the only one that was close was Peterborough whose figures were Con 35.5%, Lab 34.2%, LD 10.7%. The LD share is still a bit low though. Surprising there was only 1 out of 200 councils as close as this one.

https://andrewteale.me.uk/leap/results/2018/70/

An interesting example of how rare it is to satisfy averages in multiple dimensions.
  • Options

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

Isn't the i now owned by the...Mail?
  • Options

The Sun really needs to STFU given it ignored partygate to protect Johnson and has the gall to call something monstrous and deceitful . Given some of its past behaviour and headlines it’s laughable that it’s now moralizing .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,630
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Sinn Fein have already shared power at the top. It doesn’t feel revolutionary for them to come top.
    It's true it shouldn't feel revolutionary to come top, as they share power at the top now (when the damn place is working), but bragging rights, and the first time coming top, will make it seem so. And perception will make it so.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

It’s quite noticeably “changed” last year or so in my opinion. I always read it in the cafe when I go there for morning muesli. The i does now seem quite muddled what it is actually “for” and who it’s readership should be.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Absolutely spot on Rotten. The reshuffle will happen straight away to steal the media narrative from disappoint result and grumpy ex councillors - so the First Lady Chancellor is just hours away. And that will give Tories a bounce from women in particular.

They are already attacking and hollowing out the Sue Gray report, so that it can be called partisan and flawed when it comes.

I think his problems come after the recess. When was last time Johnson gave a good speech? His problems seemed to begin with his INSANE conference speech last year. In depth of credit crunch don’t think he can get away with poor speech this autumn.
    Is your money still on a Summer election?
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Fair enough.
    Kusadusi, on the Turkish Mediterranean coast

Quite a journey from New Orleans
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

It won’t have any impact , the whole beergate saga has been a damp squib . It never led any of the news coverage and Starmer has deflected it by saying it’s just Tory desperation.

Who knows what might happen a few weeks down the line , perhaps more might come out but I can’t see it impacting the elections .
    I don't even know what Beergate is anymore. Is it still that picture of Sir Keir having a cheeky brewski that was published several months ago, or something else? Is Currygate the newer of the gates?
  • Options

Boris Johnson should be well aware of the phenomenom of some politicians getting away with things that sink others.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

As is often the case of all the newspapers the FT is the one that actually covers the story that will matter more than five goldfish blinks later: tonight it is the US fed rate change - which will effect us all indirectly.

• Options

kle4 said:

Will it? You are presenting opinions as facts again and latching on to whatever straw you can find. You soft spot for Bozza weakens your analytical prowess.
  • Options
    New Statesman forecast, change in seats:

England:
    Con -38
    Lab -16
    LD +21
    Grn +25

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1521957860887912448
  • Options

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

It’s quite noticeably “changed” last year or so in my opinion. I always read it in the cafe when I go there for morning muesli. The i does now seem quite muddled what it is actually “for” and who it’s readership should be.

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

People hated him, but Dacre was a genius editor. He’s hard to replace. A bit like Fergie at Man U
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No other league has that
    6 or 7 could win it?
    I'd say two.
    Fair enough.
    Kusadusi, on the Turkish Mediterranean coast

Quite a journey from New Orleans
    6,245 miles according to some web thingy IF you travel in straight line.

But guessing you rarely travel straight?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

There's some serious emotional investment in Boris there.
  • Options

Captain hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

England:
    Con -38
    Lab -16
    LD +21
    Grn +25

London and Scotland the big movers I guess.
  • Options
    I'm thinking I haven't purchased a physical copy of a newspaper in well over a decade
    Doubt my children ever have.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The Sun really needs to STFU given it ignored partygate to protect Johnson and has the gall to call something monstrous and deceitful . Given some of its past behaviour and headlines it’s laughable that it’s now moralizing .
    It has been very clever how Team Johnson have neutralised Partygate during the Met's purdah. Starmer appears guiltier than Johnson, Johnson was simply ambushed by cake, and the Gray Report cannot be trusted because it is a partisan hatchet job.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Night all.
    Rather your trademark – say something controversial then immediately go to bed so no one can respond to you. "Night all" – FFS.
    I don’t want to dox Rentool, I don’t believe in doxxing. But he might actually be the Pope of Rome.
  • Options
    Must be absolute panic in the right wing elite tonight judging by the attempts to throw mud at Labour.

Guess the soundings are very bad for Team Liar.

• Options
    Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    The
    @Telegraph
    has established that the person who made the video recording of Sir Keir has not been questioned by detectives or asked to hand over the original recording.

The individual who made the film said: "I have not had any contact [from the police] yet.”

Its been "investigated" claims Rochdale who spent months banging on about Boris being photographed with beer in hand.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

People hated him, but Dacre was a genius editor. He’s hard to replace. A bit like Fergie at Man U
    Genius at what ! Going after judges and calling them enemies of the people was utterly despicable . We should be grateful that the UK has a system that doesn’t involve politics in the judiciary .
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Sinn Fein have already shared power at the top. It doesn’t feel revolutionary for them to come top. It’s not like they are going to take 68% of the vote

Also, Ulster is boring. Let’s hope it remains so after tomorrow….
    They have shared power as runner-up. The winning party was unionist.

Now the winning party is republican.

Ulster is boring? Not sure about that.
  • Options

nico679 said:

It has been very clever how Team Johnson have neutralised Partygate during the Met's purdah. Starmer appears guiltier than Johnson, Johnson was simply ambushed by cake, and the Gray Report cannot be trusted because it is a partisan hatchet job.
    And the Sun isn’t just ignoring Partygate to protect Boris, a prominent member of the Editorial team actively organised the Parties Boris denied happening - scoop of the decade if they wanted it 😂

Shame we can’t ask a Freedom of information request of The Sun to know if anyone there fined by police for breaking law recently?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

Genius at what ! Going after judges and calling them enemies of the people was utterly despicable . We should be grateful that the UK has a system that doesn’t involve politics in the judiciary .
    Being despicable doesn't preclude people from being good at selling papers, unfortunately.
  • Options

nico679 said:

LOL
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Must be absolute panic in the right wing elite tonight judging by the attempts to throw mud at Labour.

Is it any different to normal? Doesn't seem to be. It works, and works really well. Until, all of a sudden, the elastic snaps and it doesn't at all. And it snaps back so hard it stings and can't be repaired easily.
    Whether we have reached that moment or not is yet to be seen. I doubt it very much.
    But it will snap. Given time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

I was answering a question about the “i”, but I forgive you for jet lag especially as you may not have travelled straight.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I'm thinking I have

Is it any different to normal? Doesn't seem to be. It works, and works really well. Until, all of a sudden, the elastic snaps and it doesn't at all. And it snaps back so hard it stings and can't be repaired easily.
    Whether we have reached that moment or not is yet to be seen. I doubt it very much.
    One of the more obvious ways that we are not looking at a 1997 Blair win for Labour is that the right wing news are not sniffing the wind and thinking 'oh ho, maybe we need to appear like we like this winner'.

• Options

nico679 said:

LOL
    One of them has a FPN and the other doesn't. As in one of the actually broke the law.

• Options
    edited May 2022

nico679 said:

LOL
    I don’t think Pete or IshmaelZ are saying Starmer actually is guilty, only that you could catch Boris [deleted] and he wouldn’t look as guilty or bothered as this labour front bench do when under fire.

[Deleted]
  • Options
    I'm thinking I haven't purchased a physical copy of a newspaper in we

dixiedean said:

I'm thinking I have

One of the more obvious ways that we are not looking at a 1997 Blair win for Labour is that the right wing news are not sniffing the wind and thinking 'oh ho, maybe we need to appear like we like this winner'.

No indeed. But again. That is time.
  • Options
    I'm thinking I haven't purchased a physical copy of a newspaper in we

dixiedean said:

I'm thinking I have

No indeed. But again. That is time.
  • Options
    Ohio 2022 Primary Results NOT previously reported on PB

MEIGS COUNTY - Unincorp. Salisbury Twp
    Additional Cemeteries Levy – .5 mills/5 years — For the tax levy: 118; Against the tax levy: 141
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

dixiedean said:

I'm thinking I have

Blair and co. put a lot of energy into wooing Rupe and other elements of the right-wing media. I don't get the impression Sir Keir has made anything like those efforts. Also Boris was/is a prominent right-wing hack himself. I think that in itself explains much of the massive loyalty he enjoys from that quarter; nothing he's ever done politically explains it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Will it? You are presenting opinions as facts again and latching on to whatever straw you can find. You soft spot for Bozza weakens your analytical prowess.
    No soft spot for Boris. But we have all got to be fair and balanced on a political betting site.

I’ve more than enough posts proving no soft spot for Boris, but more than enough suggesting I’m right of centre in many ways and would have a soft spot for the old Conservative Party - where Thatcher had all wings of party in her cabinet, John Major too might have off the record called some ministers bastards but they still kept their top jobs. A soft spot for right of centre values, promoting individual freedom and fiscal responsibility in government and councils for sure. But if you want to continue to say I have a soft spot for Boris and what he stands for, it’s time Anabobaliza to put up some proper evidence to support the slur.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Andy_JS said:

England:
    Con -38
    Lab -16
    LD +21
    Grn +25

ROFL
  • Options
    If it all goes totally tits up for Johnson in next 48 hours, let history record that Susanna Reid was a major part in Downfall.

1.3 million watched her destroy the Liar.
  • Options
    Bless ! The Daily Express is fawning over its poster boy with the new Brexit Freedom Bill which will allegedly get rid of all that horrible EU red tape .

No 10 works like this stick a fluffy title on something and hope the plebs will lap it up .

It’s a bit like the Turing scheme . They stuck a hero of our times on the scheme and trashed his memory with a cheap knock off compared to the original Erasmus scheme .
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I'm thinking I have

Blair and co. put a lot of energy into wooing Rupe and other elements of the right-wing media. I don't get the impression Sir Keir has made anything like those efforts. Also Boris was/is a prominent right-wing hack himself. I think that in itself explains much of the massive loyalty he enjoys from that quarter; nothing he's ever done politically explains it.
    I suspect more supportin general, but especially business and media support comes when you look like winners - so maybe the main difference is Blair doesn’t have to overturn a 80 seat majority or come from just over 200 seats for a working majority, so Starmer is never likely to look like a winner any time in this parliament.

If good ship Blair won consecutive elections with a fair wind, becoming PM and winning election from there could prove a more creditable result for Starmer considering his obstacles to overcome.
  • Options

Additional Cemeteries Levy – .5 mills/5 years — For the tax levy: 118; Against the tax levy: 141

Is it like the times claim, the Ohio candidate only surged to victory with Trumps endorsement?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I'm thinking I have

I suspect more supportin general, but especially business and media support comes when you look like winners - so maybe the main difference is Blair doesn’t have to overturn a 80 seat majority or come from just over 200 seats for a working majority, so Starmer is never likely to look like a winner any time in this parliament.

If good ship Blair won consecutive elections with a fair wind, becoming PM and winning election from there could prove a more creditable result for Starmer considering his obstacles to overcome.
    "Blair and co. put a lot of energy into wooing Rupe and other elements of the right-wing media. I don't get the impression Sir Keir has made anything like those efforts."

No I suspect you are right. I wonder if that is because he has had to spend, like Kinnock, most of his actual time dealing with the loon tunes left rather than being out facing?
  • Options

Is it like the times claim, the Ohio candidate only surged to victory with Trumps endorsement?
    True.

Vance was back of the pack before the endoresment; likely that Mandel, who got support from many 45 fans, would have gotten even more, had the Sage of Mar-a-Lardo not anointed the V-man.

Hope Tim Ryan tears him a new one.
  • Options
    The local election spreadsheet is ready. Shall I post it now or at about 7 in the morning when voting starts?
  • Options

nico679 said:

LOL
    I don’t think Pete or IshmaelZ are saying Starmer actually is guilty, only that you could catch Boris [deleted] and he wouldn’t look as guilty or bothered as this labour front bench do when under fire.

[Deleted]
    That was exactly my point. Team Johnson have been busy tarring Starmer with their own brush in a moment in time where for some utterly inexplicable reason the Met have decided not to mention Partygate or issue any penalties in case it offends the guilty party Boris Johnson. And they have done this under rules of political purdah which don't apply to them.

"Please ex- Commissioner Dick can you hold off the multiple speeding tickets for a while because without a driving licence I will lose my job".
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I'm thinking I have

"Blair and co. put a lot of energy into wooing Rupe and other elements of the right-wing media. I don't get the impression Sir Keir has made anything like those efforts."

No I suspect you are right. I wonder if that is because he has had to spend, like Kinnock, most of his actual time dealing with the loon tunes left rather than being out facing?
    Blair came in when someone whose name I can’t remember died, after years of other people eating away on Tory majorities so only a little swing would make him PM? He was on the shoulders of the work of others to some extent? He inherited double digit opinion polls? could bank on about 40 Scottish seats? I wasn’t born when Blair was elected but I think I know enough about politics that if you look like obvious winner you are looked on in a different way, extra support just comes to you like you are magnetised. The contrast with Starmer is he has had to do that detoxifying of his party himself, build poll leads himself, try to look like a winner against the backdrop of parliamentary arithmetic worse for Labour than, a hundred years?

The financials times have a front page headline tomorrow “Starmer not a patch on Blair still much to learn” which isn’t entirely fair. Nor the flack Starmer will get following these election results. Thrasher and rawlin the experts said last week, just holding on to seats isn’t a bad night for Labour this time meanwhile just a few posts below here, Big John Knowles is already rolling around on the floor laughing his arse off. 🙂.

I think I need to get some sleep now if I’m then going to be awake for next 70 hours 🙋‍♀️
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The local election spreadsheet is ready. Shall I post it now or at about 7 in the morning when voting starts?

Can you ask Mike to put it in a header in the big build up, so you get due credit for the work you have put in for everybody, I suggest. 👏🏻
  • Options

True.

Vance was back of the pack before the endoresment; likely that Mandel, who got support from many 45 fans, would have gotten even more, had the Sage of Mar-a-Lardo not anointed the V-man.

Hope Tim Ryan tears him a new one.
    Thanks for the answer.

Is hope all you got left. It’s just a economic downturn away from all the Trump loonies winning?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,174
    edited May 2022
    Wordle 320 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟩🟨🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A bit obscure today. At least for me.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Wordle 320 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟨🟩🟨🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A bit obscure today. At least for me.

I almost failed to get it for the first time.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h

Delicious
    ...curry.

Apparently not
    According to the Telegraph report referenced, police have seen the video but possibly not the full version. The original lasted 44 seconds; the version posted online was 34 seconds. There is nothing in the Telegraph report that suggests a smoking gun in the extra ten seconds.

The "event" took place on 30th April, step 2 out of lockdown, when work events (and political campaigning) were permitted. The question is whether the curry was part of a social or work (campaign) event. The police seem to have decided it was the latter, as Labour claims.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/04/police-urged-reinvestigate-beergate-see-sir-keir-starmer-broke/ (£££)
This discussion has been closed.