Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ohio, Ohio, Ohio – Measuring Trump’s Chances – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

Worth noting that Vance had the good sense to spot what Trump was way back in 2016 and even warned he could be America's "Hitler".

Completely changed his tune in order to win office.

The question will be how much of an enabler of Trump and his cult authoritarianism Vance will be if he wins a Senate seat. At least we know at one point he could see what was happening.

You could say that of lots of Republicans. Even Lindsey Graham. These Republicans have not been an effective brake on Trump at all. They've made the calculation that they absolutely require to be in with the Trump crowd to retain support among the Republican base.
    Sadly true. And the ones who have bravely called out Trump's attempt at a coup are facing primary defeat e.g. Chenney in Montana.

Looks like we face a world with Trump back in WH unless somehow Dems can find a new star.

Utterly bleak prospect. They wont get him out again while he is still alive if he wins or takes power via some GOP rigging of the result.

As Fiona Hill said in the Andrew Neil interview I posted yesterday, we now have a GOP that increasingly does not believe in the democratic process.

*cough* Wyoming *cough*
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

Danny Blanchflower on r4;

Looks like UK is probably already in recession. BoE should cut interest rates.

Fastest growth in the G7!
    Both can be true...!

Stagflation is here and not just here, but all over.
    Buy gold!
  • Options

Russia now accusing Ukraine of magic..

@rianru

В штабе украинских военных нашли признаки занятия черной магией
    ria.ru/20220504/magiy…

Signs of black magic found at the headquarters of the Ukrainian military
    ria.ru/20220504/magiy…

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1521679788053827584

Well it only stands to reason, doesn’t it? How else could they beat the might Rus?
  • Options
    Credit to von der Leyen and the EU for following Britain and the USA in announcing an embargo of Russia oil by the end of the year.

If they can follow through with that (and there's some doubt due to Hungary) then that is a very good thing. 👍
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    Kay Burley interviewing Rachel Reeves and it appears over 30 people were at beergate, over £200 spent on curry, but apparently and this is new, there was an on line quiz going on

This is not going away much as many would like it to
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Includes new @LordAshcroft research: 39% of 2019 Tory voters said “I thought he was a rogue and a chancer but I voted for him anyway.”
    But now, among those who voted Tory for the first time, their view of the PM has “deteriorated sharply”.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/boris-johnson-gmb-interview-cost-of-living-crisis-tories-catastrophe-1608078
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

Credit to von der Leyen and the EU for following Britain and the USA in announcing an embargo of Russia oil by the end of the year.

If they can follow through with that (and there's some doubt due to Hungary) then that is a very good thing. 👍

What has Germany said about it.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Complaining or exclaiming about major impact of religion upon the United States is a fool's errand.

Seeing as how religion has ALWAYS been a major factor in American history and thus politics. As it used to be in Europe, including UK.

Big difference here was that, unlike you, we did NOT fight bloody wars - civil, uncivil, international - over religion. Conflict, yes. Riots, occasionally. But NOTHING like the English Civil War or Thirty Years War.

Interesting part of our religious heritage - indeed its hallmark - is our diversity of faiths and esp. creeds. Which soon led - as in UK - to opposition to an established church. Difference was that establishment was too weak to survive here for very long, just a few decades after independence in a few states. And was of course banned federally.

We still argue what "separation of church and state" means. But few Americans think it's a bad thing per se - even the nutters!

Maybe you should try it sometime?

I’m sorry @SeaShantyIrish2 but this is nonsense. America is intensely religious in a way that it’s entirely alien to UK/Oz/Canada, and also most Europeans

So you may de jure have separation of church and state but de facto you do not. The Civil War was infused with religious debate and that killed 750,000 Americans - including fully 20% of all Southern men of fighting age
    Europeans USED to be intensely religious. Now you are intensely irreligious. Having totally lost your faith due to WAY too much wars of religion, auto de fes and "Gott Mit Uns"

Whereas Americans have NOT lost their faith, for the most part. And only a minority is theologically obsessed - just that it compares with about zilch in Europe PLUS the rest of the county have religious buttons that can definitely be pushed. For good (anti-Slavery), mixed (Prohibition) or ill (anti-Semitism).

I say Prohibition was mixed, because motivation (ending abuse of alcohol) was good but unexpected consequences (Al Capone) were bad. Same with "War on Drugs".
    In a sense there is something admirable about America’s debate on abortion

It is akin to the slavery debate, in its power, yet much more nuanced (both sides have good arguments: they obviously did not on slavery). This is a profound and serious moral issue and Americans REALLY care. Perhaps they care too much, and they might end up shooting each other, but arguably that is better than the shrug of the cynical European

Tricky. I’m glad the UK is not embittered by this debate yet I am also glad a serious western society is exercised by it

The UK performed the same service for the rest of the EU when we had Brexit
    It's interesting how most conservatives in the UK (and Europe) aren't particularly bothered about the abortion debate.
    It is not very interesting imo. There are two related questions that might be interesting.

One in the United States is the extent to which abortion determines a person's vote, in the sense that they would vote for the other party on other issues. Will pro-choice Republicans now vote Democrat? Will pro-life Democrats who were previously voting Republican in order to restrict abortion, now vote Democrat?

And here, might abortion be a Brexit-type issue? One where most people are vaguely content with the status quo, and do not give it a moment's thought from one year to the next, but where that might change if ever they are forced to vote on it because some idiot prime minister calls a referendum in order to buy off a vocal minority on one side or the other.
    Europe was an issue that tore the country's politics apart for generations, it wasn't just because a PM chose to call a referendum about it.

If you don't think that Europe was already a massive issue in this country pre-2016 (and had been since the 1980s if not earlier) then you weren't paying much attention.
    I think you mean tore the Conservative party apart, no-one else gave a toss. It never topped that What are your most salient concerns poll.
    You're right Ishmael but I think you're wasting your breath. They're like JW's and they won't listen if you tell them that most of the country was bimbling along with the EU: happy to travel freely and enjoying the odd joke at Brussels' expense.

Brexit was never for Britain. It was for the tory party.
    Not sure why 17 million people voted leave under that interpretation?
  • Options

Croatian President wants some attention, Mélenchon is making hay, and Austria don't want Ukraine to join the EU because neutrality.

Next.
    Austria is compromised
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    This is definitely the strangest cost of living crisis ever.

We have full employment in the UK

Houses are selling instantly for often much more than the asking price.

Pubs, restaurants, theatres etc are packed with people discretionary spending.

Holiday bookings are surging "Heathrow airport has recorded its highest passenger numbers since the start of the pandemic, but warned that “resources are stretched” as the travel industry struggles to handle resurgent demand for flying"

A very odd cost of living crisis.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Kay Burley interviewing Rachel Reeves and it appears over 30 people were at beergate, over £200 spent on curry, but apparently and this is new, there was an on line quiz going on

£7 per curry sounds like a bargain
  • Options
    Heathener said:

On the plus side, Boris is absorbing a lot of that hatred and resentment, and it will pass with him, like a bad bank, or a decommissioned nuclear site, or in a strange way, Jesus.
    Boris is like Jesus for taking on our sins is the oddest hot take I've ever seen on this site. 😲

Politics doesn't just pass like that. If the Tories lose the next election, they'll probably be out of power for at least a decade.
    Boris as scapegoat (which was the role Jesus was playing) is a common sentiment though
    Whilst some of the current crisis is unquestionably international, equally a lot of it is not. Boris Johnson has brought about much of this. His careless lack of attention to detail and propensity to spaff out on the nation's credit card mirrors his own personal financial chaos.
    Possibly you meant to reply to a different post?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Good morning ...

As far as the cost of living crisis, I believe it will overwhelm most governments as it is impossible for any government to mitigate the adverse effects other than on the margins

Good morning, Big_G.
    Fair or not, the message 'not us, gov' isn't going to wash from a party that's been in power for over a decade.
    Its probably about as fair as blaming Brown for the 2008 crash, but will be done just the same.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Carnyx said:

Good morning

Depressing headlines today on cost of living crisis and the war in Ukraine

I have listened to Boris's interview yesterday and he demonstrated an utter lack of empathy and frankly sounds like an empty vessel

Boris and Rishi together have taken the conservative party to the brink of disastrous local elections and longer term a real likelihood of a dreadful defeat in 24

I cannot understand just how conservative mps have allowed this situation to develop and just hope that post the locals they take action to remove Boris and start the process of recovering competence, honesty and integrity

I note that the SNP are falling in the polls as labour rises and I hope labour cut through in Scotland as they deserve better than Sturgeon and her government

As far as the cost of living crisis, I believe it will overwhelm most governments as it is impossible for any government to mitigate the adverse effects other than on the margins

But then Johnson was lauded by, well everyone, for his speech to the Ukrainian Parliament. The Churchill channelled soundbites were superb. Well done Boris!

I took the time to listen to the speech in its entirety. Well, it was about 50% of the way to being a Peppa Pig car crash. Lucky that was all lost in translation. He looked poorly prepared for such a big event. Did he lose his notes again?
    I will not criticise him for his speech to the Ukraine Parliament which was very well received with standing ovations from a county suffering unspeakable war crimes and clearly count Boris and the UK as their strongest ally

Notwithstanding, it will not move many votes as his utter inability to apply himself to relieving the cost of living crisis
    I will. I have the most serious concerns about any leader who goes off the cuff on such a sensitive occasion for foreign policy. That you won't criticise him is strange. The locals weren't going to be rude, any more than the CBI were going to start throwing bread rolls when Mr Johnson went on about Peppa Pig.

I am not going to criticise him over Ukraine - all that does is help Putin
    You feel that Putin is a keen reader of PB so anything you say might affect the outcome? Perhaps he has a bet on it?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Holiday bookings are surging "Heathrow airport has recorded its highest passenger numbers since the start of the pandemic, but warned that “resources are stretched” as the travel industry struggles to handle resurgent demand for flying"

The real issue is the effect on the low paid and those on benefits and in poverty and help is needed and is urgent for them
  • Options

Middle class people still sat on pandemic savings
    Poor people with no savings struggling to make ends meet

entirely possible to have both at the same time
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    TOPPING said:

What has Germany said about it.
    They've recently dropped their opposition to it.
    https://www.euronews.com/2022/05/02/russian-gas-eu-crisis-talks-seek-unity-over-putin-s-demand-for-payments-in-roubles

Russian gas is another matter.

In any event, it's possible that events by the end of the year might have rendered all of this moot.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

The cost of living crisis is not evenly spread.
  • Options

Good morning

I have listened to Boris's interview yesterday and he demonstrated an utter lack of empathy and frankly sounds like an empty vessel

Boris and Rishi together have taken the conservative party to the brink of disastrous local elections and longer term a real likelihood of a dreadful defeat in 24

I cannot understand just how conservative mps have allowed this situation to develop and just hope that post the locals they take action to remove Boris and start the process of recovering competence, honesty and integrity

I note that the SNP are falling in the polls as labour rises and I hope labour cut through in Scotland as they deserve better than Sturgeon and her government

Morning Big_G. I agree that the cost of living crisis is going to swamp them. And for a very specific reason - they simply don't care. Boris does boosterism, so even "I can't afford to heat my home so I ride the bus" got processed and responded to with "I gave you that bus pass" as if the cold pensioner should be appreciative.

Boosterism is a refusal to accept there is a problem. Hence the repeated "Dear Prime Minister please stop lying, luv the ONS" letters in response to "FASTEST GROWING ECONOMY IN THE G7". Hence the "can't people spend their savings to pay their energy bills, we must protect BP and Shell" responses.

This government are going to deny there is a problem. Tell people if they are struggling it is their fault because its always booming in Boris's Britain. And then offer them a shiny sixpence off their £5,000 personal finance black hole and expect gratitude.

Any other Tory government would do better because they would at least apply a veneer of being concerned.
    I largely agree and despair at the inability of HMG and especially Boris and Rishi to show they really care and I cannot recall a conservative government so aloof and out of touch

It is fair to say only so much can be achieved by any government overwhelmed by this economy crisis but at least you can show you care
    We mustn't forget Johnson appalling comment yesterday that he couldn't raise benefit levels despite the financial catastrophe facing many on social security because it would mean interest rates had to go up.

Economic codswallop which I suspect he just literally made up as he spoke.
    Unless we are right on the edge of our debt funding limits. In which case it would be true.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    Oh là là!

A french word in Quordle today?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Good morning

Morning Big_G. I agree that the cost of living crisis is going to swamp them. And for a very specific reason - they simply don't care. Boris does boosterism, so even "I can't afford to heat my home so I ride the bus" got processed and responded to with "I gave you that bus pass" as if the cold pensioner should be appreciative.

Boosterism is a refusal to accept there is a problem. Hence the repeated "Dear Prime Minister please stop lying, luv the ONS" letters in response to "FASTEST GROWING ECONOMY IN THE G7". Hence the "can't people spend their savings to pay their energy bills, we must protect BP and Shell" responses.

This government are going to deny there is a problem. Tell people if they are struggling it is their fault because its always booming in Boris's Britain. And then offer them a shiny sixpence off their £5,000 personal finance black hole and expect gratitude.

Any other Tory government would do better because they would at least apply a veneer of being concerned.
    The Pensioners Bus Pass is part of the reason that rural bus services are not viable. The amount that the bus company gets per journey is too low.

A classic example of gimmicky policy that is self defeating. What is the point of a bus pass when you no longer have a service?

22% of bus routes have gone in the last decade, particularly in the pandemic, but pandemic funding has now expired and the emergency funding goes in October. Most affected are the NW, East and East Midlands.

https://governmentbusiness.co.uk/news/04042022/quarter-bus-routes-axed-england-last-decade
    Its one reason, but its almost chicken and egg. The services are so poor that there is little point trying to use them. My dad, for complex reasons, is currently deprived of his driving licence. They have a small town 6 miles away, a city 11 miles away and two larger towns around 13/14 miles away. Buses to all are sporadic, and if you miss one, you may wait several hours for the next.

Frankly in rural parts, most people are car dependent and have been for many years. Reversing that would be a miracle.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Complaining or exclaiming about major impact of religion upon the United States is a fool's errand.

Seeing as how religion has ALWAYS been a major factor in American history and thus politics. As it used to be in Europe, including UK.

Big difference here was that, unlike you, we did NOT fight bloody wars - civil, uncivil, international - over religion. Conflict, yes. Riots, occasionally. But NOTHING like the English Civil War or Thirty Years War.

Interesting part of our religious heritage - indeed its hallmark - is our diversity of faiths and esp. creeds. Which soon led - as in UK - to opposition to an established church. Difference was that establishment was too weak to survive here for very long, just a few decades after independence in a few states. And was of course banned federally.

We still argue what "separation of church and state" means. But few Americans think it's a bad thing per se - even the nutters!

I’m sorry @SeaShantyIrish2 but this is nonsense. America is intensely religious in a way that it’s entirely alien to UK/Oz/Canada, and also most Europeans

So you may de jure have separation of church and state but de facto you do not. The Civil War was infused with religious debate and that killed 750,000 Americans - including fully 20% of all Southern men of fighting age
    Europeans USED to be intensely religious. Now you are intensely irreligious. Having totally lost your faith due to WAY too much wars of religion, auto de fes and "Gott Mit Uns"

Whereas Americans have NOT lost their faith, for the most part. And only a minority is theologically obsessed - just that it compares with about zilch in Europe PLUS the rest of the county have religious buttons that can definitely be pushed. For good (anti-Slavery), mixed (Prohibition) or ill (anti-Semitism).

I say Prohibition was mixed, because motivation (ending abuse of alcohol) was good but unexpected consequences (Al Capone) were bad. Same with "War on Drugs".

It is akin to the slavery debate, in its power, yet much more nuanced (both sides have good arguments: they obviously did not on slavery). This is a profound and serious moral issue and Americans REALLY care. Perhaps they care too much, and they might end up shooting each other, but arguably that is better than the shrug of the cynical European

Tricky. I’m glad the UK is not embittered by this debate yet I am also glad a serious western society is exercised by it

It's interesting how most conservatives in the UK (and Europe) aren't particularly bothered about the abortion debate.
    It is not very interesting imo. There are two related questions that might be interesting.

One in the United States is the extent to which abortion determines a person's vote, in the sense that they would vote for the other party on other issues. Will pro-choice Republicans now vote Democrat? Will pro-life Democrats who were previously voting Republican in order to restrict abortion, now vote Democrat?

And here, might abortion be a Brexit-type issue? One where most people are vaguely content with the status quo, and do not give it a moment's thought from one year to the next, but where that might change if ever they are forced to vote on it because some idiot prime minister calls a referendum in order to buy off a vocal minority on one side or the other.
    Europe was an issue that tore the country's politics apart for generations, it wasn't just because a PM chose to call a referendum about it.

If you don't think that Europe was already a massive issue in this country pre-2016 (and had been since the 1980s if not earlier) then you weren't paying much attention.
    I think you mean tore the Conservative party apart, no-one else gave a toss. It never topped that What are your most salient concerns poll.
    You're right Ishmael but I think you're wasting your breath. They're like JW's and they won't listen if you tell them that most of the country was bimbling along with the EU: happy to travel freely and enjoying the odd joke at Brussels' expense.

You can have a preference without really being fussed either way: do you prefer cheese and onion or salt and vinegar?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229

Good morning

But then Johnson was lauded by, well everyone, for his speech to the Ukrainian Parliament. The Churchill channelled soundbites were superb. Well done Boris!

I took the time to listen to the speech in its entirety. Well, it was about 50% of the way to being a Peppa Pig car crash. Lucky that was all lost in translation. He looked poorly prepared for such a big event. Did he lose his notes again?
    I will not criticise him for his speech to the Ukraine Parliament which was very well received with standing ovations from a county suffering unspeakable war crimes and clearly count Boris and the UK as their strongest ally

Notwithstanding, it will not move many votes as his utter inability to apply himself to relieving the cost of living crisis
    Of course what has changed recently is that Ukraine has stopped being police with regards to our "we don't want any" Ukrainian visas policy. With so many examples now of a system which is deliberately and egregiously trying to put off as many refugees as possible even the Ambassador is now complaining.

When the UK government is suggesting that a young girl go back to the war zone because it refuses to accept her paperwork we know the policy truly is "don't come here". Yet our government - and their parrots - squark about how wonderful and generous we are and look how appreciative the Ukrainians are.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Curious interview this evening - a lecturer doing research on political gambling approached me on the basis of several recommendations as an expert (er...thanks, I think). I'll suggest Mike ads the obvious next port of call, and Pip Moss. The interviewer's previous paper was on gambling in Papua New Guinea!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668

Nigelb said:

Good morning ...

Good morning, Big_G.
    Fair or not, the message 'not us, gov' isn't going to wash from a party that's been in power for over a decade.
    Its probably about as fair as blaming Brown for the 2008 crash, but will be done just the same.
    Real wages will be below 2010 levels at the next election.

That says all you need to know about Tory economic ineptitude over the past 12 years.
  • Options
    "'Let them eat own-brand food', says minister" may not be a vote-winner in a local or general election https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1521735098592374789
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Good morning

I will. I have the most serious concerns about any leader who goes off the cuff on such a sensitive occasion for foreign policy. That you won't criticise him is strange. The locals weren't going to be rude, any more than the CBI were going to start throwing bread rolls when Mr Johnson went on about Peppa Pig.

You feel that Putin is a keen reader of PB so anything you say might affect the outcome? Perhaps he has a bet on it?
    Seems Putin has Boris and the UK in his cross hairs and maybe his does read PB as there is no better place to test the current political climate
  • Options

Croatian President wants some attention, Mélenchon is making hay, and Austria don't want Ukraine to join the EU because neutrality.

Next.
    Austria is compromised
    I think Austria is being realistic. While an association agreement can happen quickly, full and equal membership of the EU requires considerable structural change in Ukraine. Not to mention the small matter of defining its borders.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Middle class people still sat on pandemic savings
    Poor people with no savings struggling to make ends meet

entirely possible to have both at the same time
    Twas ever thus. In the recessions of the 80's, if you kept your job, things weren't so bad. There are always winners and losers.
  • Options

Oh là là!

A french word in Quordle today?

Oi - no spoilers!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109

Worth noting that Vance had the good sense to spot what Trump was way back in 2016 and even warned he could be America's "Hitler".

Completely changed his tune in order to win office.

The question will be how much of an enabler of Trump and his cult authoritarianism Vance will be if he wins a Senate seat. At least we know at one point he could see what was happening.

Was it clear whether Vance thought being America’s Hitler was a good or a bad thing?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Apparently £6.80 round here and delivered
  • Options

Next.
    If the US want Finland in then I very much doubt Croatia's view will count for much.
    Croatia has a veto same as anybody
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Like I said yesterday, for those who want to believe this to be significantly worse than Partygate it is significantly worse than Partygate. Kay Burley is one of those. What were the rules (not guidance) at the time?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Curious interview this evening - a lecturer doing research on political gambling approached me on the basis of several recommendations as an expert (er...thanks, I think). I'll suggest Mike ads the obvious next port of call, and Pip Moss. The interviewer's previous paper was on gambling in Papua New Guinea!

They need to speak to perhaps the foremost political gambler on PB (no offence all) who is @Andy_JS. His spreadsheet and the approach it informed to EURef was extraordinary and contributed to most people on here winning more money on political gambling than they had ever done previously and for some, winning the most money ever on gambling ever.
  • Options

Good morning

Of course what has changed recently is that Ukraine has stopped being police with regards to our "we don't want any" Ukrainian visas policy. With so many examples now of a system which is deliberately and egregiously trying to put off as many refugees as possible even the Ambassador is now complaining.

When the UK government is suggesting that a young girl go back to the war zone because it refuses to accept her paperwork we know the policy truly is "don't come here". Yet our government - and their parrots - squark about how wonderful and generous we are and look how appreciative the Ukrainians are.
    The James O'Brien show yesterday (I know) was very revealing about some of the issues that people are facing when applying to house Ukrainian refugees.

In short definitely cock up and most likely conspiracy.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Good morning

We can - and should - criticise him over our appalling refugees policy. As the Ukrainian ambassador now is.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    TOPPING said:

They need to speak to perhaps the foremost political gambler on PB (no offence all) who is @Andy_JS. His spreadsheet and therefore approach to EURef was extraordinary and contributed to most people on here winning more money on political gambling than they had ever done previously and for some, winning the most money ever on gambling ever.
    In addition to OGH and @AndyJS, @shadsy ?
  • Options

It's barely begun, so you wouldn't expect universal dismay.
    And even in the seventies there were those who did very well throughout the years of economic debacle.

What's going to matter is where gas and oil prices are by the winter. If they haven't come down, things will get ugly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Opinion polls repeatedly showed that most people did not give any priority to Europe as an issue.
    The vastly higher turnout in the EU referendum compared with the AV referendum shows that it was considered a much more important issue.
    Yes but only after a referendum was called. That is the point.
    It's a dumb point, unfortunately. There's a strand of opinion that credits Cameron with the ability to manufacture interest and concern on the issue by virtue of asking people. He was not that powerful.

Sure it wasn't a priority according to polling, but the interest and outcome once asked showed people cared about it. The polling was wrong.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You can have a preference without really being fussed either way: do you prefer cheese and onion or salt and vinegar?
    Obviously cheese and onion, what kind of horrid monster would prefer salt and vinegar?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Good morning

Seems Putin has Boris and the UK in his cross hairs and maybe his does read PB as there is no better place to test the current political climate
    Lol, doubtless he’s obsessing over tediously repetitive bleating about £200 curries.

‘This stuff is pure gold, Sergei Viktorovich!’
  • Options
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

Trigger warning for @Gardenwalker

@MrHarryCole
    EXC: Met police bodyguards looked on as Sir Keir Starmer and Labour allies consumed £200 of curry…

Fresh pressure for Durham Police to open investigation into #beergate as it emerges fellow cops were witnesses…

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1521601164697083906

The Mail unintentionally raised an interesting question today.

If Starmer and his team did no work *after* beer and curry then at what point did work end and social begin?

I’m not sure there’s a good answer to that (which is why the rules were a bit silly)
    Today's latest "revelations" really make a tit of the Mail stories. £200 of curry divided by dozens plural of activists = not much curry. Yet the Mail was clear that Starmer was illegally ladeling a curry feast into Rayner's illegal growler whilst swilling down a lake of lager.

Methinks there's also a lack of understanding of how things work in a campaign centre deep into a campaign. If you have the time you practically live there - I've eaten all three meals of the day there before now. Eating whilst talking about what is happening the day after is hardly unusual.
    Indeed, and quite obviously Starmer and Rayner didnt each travel hundreds of miles for a social event, no matter how nice Hartlepool curries are.
    The curry was actually in Durham, the office of the local MP, Mary Foy.

Durham have some decent curry houses.

Amaani at the Pumphouse is especially good.
    Yes. Starmer was campaigning in Durham. Boris went to Hartlepool to be photographed enjoying a pint with Jill Mortimer (in one of her rare visits). That too was campaigning and allowed under the rules. Funny that the Wail isn't producing endless stories on that one.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Could we not make Boris a special envoy to Ukraine? They seem to love him out there. At home every inch Boris is removed from no10 is appreciated. A potential win-win?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Good morning

We can - and should - criticise him over our appalling refugees policy. As the Ukrainian ambassador now is.
    I again agree with you and Patel should have been sacked long ago
  • Options
    BREAKING: Man who just got absolutely fucking savaged by Susanna Reid would like you to know he is definitely the man to face down Vladimir Putin x
    https://twitter.com/BBCLauraKT/status/1521416906716160001
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Includes new @LordAshcroft research: 39% of 2019 Tory voters said “I thought he was a rogue and a chancer but I voted for him anyway.”
    But now, among those who voted Tory for the first time, their view of the PM has “deteriorated sharply”.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/boris-johnson-gmb-interview-cost-of-living-crisis-tories-catastrophe-1608078

Cue HY to insist that 39% of Tory voters are not Tory voters, are not wanted, and indeed never did vote Tory.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

They need to speak to perhaps the foremost political gambler on PB (no offence all) who is @Andy_JS. His spreadsheet and therefore approach to EURef was extraordinary and contributed to most people on here winning more money on political gambling than they had ever done previously and for some, winning the most money ever on gambling ever.
    In addition to OGH and @AndyJS, @shadsy ?
    Did I get the wrong @AndyJS? Aren't they the same?
  • Options

Good morning

The sentiment drawn from within the garbled message was one we all agree with. The presentation however was shockingly poor for such a historic moment.
    It was fine. Praised them, offered support, showed some humility for us not acting in 2014 etc. I deeply dislike the man but he can do thst sort of thing ok, I'm not seeing a dropping of the ball
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Next.
    If the US want Finland in then I very much doubt Croatia's view will count for much.
    I was expecting this to come from Hungary.

The NATO rules are clear - accession has to be unanimous. No reason has to be given for a rejection.

All Putin needs is one friend.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Carnyx said:

Good morning

Putin's method for his international opposition is to split and divide. If there is an existing divide, he will try to widen it, as a divided opposition is a weakened one.

This does not mean someone cannot criticise Boris or the government over Ukraine: but IMO they should do so because they disagree with the policy(ies), not because they dislike the messenger. The latter plays directly into Putin's hands.

Unity matters when it comes to helping Ukraine defeat Russia.

(This is only the case on Ukraine, where the bad guys are very clear. It's open season on Boris for everything else.)

In this case, do you believe a Starmer-led Labour government would be doing much different from what Johnson's government is doing?
  • Options

AP calls Ohio US Senate Republican Primary for Vance

Updated just now
    71% REPORTED
    Candidate Votes
    J.D. Vance
    218,053 31.3%
    Josh Mandel
    169,416 24.3%
    Matt Dolan
    152,198 21.9%
    Mike Gibbons
    83,383 12.0%
    Jane Timken
    45,740 6.6%
    Mark Pukita
    18,031 2.6%
    Neil Patel
    9,565 1.4%
    Total reported

Seems a pretty clear win and therefore good news for Trump, right? His coat-tails evidently very effective for a GOP primary. Also, perhaps, good news for the Democrats in Ohio - is there polling on how they'll do vs Vance?
    It looks to me like the more moderate Republicans made the same mistake as the French Left, and failed to agree to coalesce around a single candidate.
    Moderates and liberals generally get screwed in revolutionary settings, and politics is so febrile there it feels like that.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Obviously cheese and onion, what kind of horrid monster would prefer salt and vinegar?
    All very well but where do you stand on the subversion of the Green/Blue bag for cheese and onion/salt and vinegar.
  • Options

Like I said yesterday, for those who want to believe this to be significantly worse than Partygate it is significantly worse than Partygate. Kay Burley is one of those. What were the rules (not guidance) at the time?
    It is not a matter of scale but has Starmer and Labour breached covid regulations in this instance

It seems to be raised across the media whenever Starmer or labour politicians are interviewed, and Burley saying that an on line quiz was going on raises serious questions
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

All very well but where do you stand on the subversion of the Green/Blue bag for cheese and onion/salt and vinegar.
    The greatest unforced error of our times
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Good morning ...

Good morning, Big_G.
    Real wages will be below 2010 levels at the next election.

That says all you need to know about Tory economic ineptitude over the past 12 years.
    It tells you very little about anything
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Carnyx said:

Good morning

Putin's method for his international opposition is to split and divide. If there is an existing divide, he will try to widen it, as a divided opposition is a weakened one.

This does not mean someone cannot criticise Boris or the government over Ukraine: but IMO they should do so because they disagree with the policy(ies), not because they dislike the messenger. The latter plays directly into Putin's hands.

(This is only the case on Ukraine, where the bad guys are very clear. It's open season on Boris for everything else.)

In this case, do you believe a Starmer-led Labour government would be doing much different from what Johnson's government is doing?
    Watch the speech.

No one is critical of the message, but the messenger was very poorly prepared. He was on a World stage, representing our nation, that is a poor show.
  • Options

As yes "full employment". Which as we all know is always statistical spin whichever government claims it rather than lived reality. We know hundreds of thousands of older people simply left employment during the pandemic and others cannot find work despite the vacancies at Manchester Airport and elsewhere.

As for people spending money, that happens at the depth of every recession. Underneath the "its busy" perception the hospitality industry is still struggling to recover from Covid. The closure of a chunk of outlets has helped, but companies like Pret are still reporting only 65% of pre-Covid trade.

You may not be struggling - and I'm not either. But we're the exception rather than the rule.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WHAAAT!

Until now I believed you were a vaguely decent almost sentient human being.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

Updated just now
    71% REPORTED
    Candidate Votes
    J.D. Vance
    218,053 31.3%
    Josh Mandel
    169,416 24.3%
    Matt Dolan
    152,198 21.9%
    Mike Gibbons
    83,383 12.0%
    Jane Timken
    45,740 6.6%
    Mark Pukita
    18,031 2.6%
    Neil Patel
    9,565 1.4%
    Total reported

Seems a pretty clear win and therefore good news for Trump, right? His coat-tails evidently very effective for a GOP primary. Also, perhaps, good news for the Democrats in Ohio - is there polling on how they'll do vs Vance?
    It looks to me like the more moderate Republicans made the same mistake as the French Left, and failed to agree to coalesce around a single candidate.
    Not all the other Republican candidates were moderates though and Ohio is Trump country. It voted for Trump in 2020 and 2016
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Good morning

The James O'Brien show yesterday (I know) was very revealing about some of the issues that people are facing when applying to house Ukrainian refugees.

The Tory vote doesn't want the forrin here. This scheme had to be dragged out of the government and has been set up to be as difficult as possible. Thus they can say "aren't we generous" as they act ungenerously.
  • Options

It is not a matter of scale but has Starmer and Labour breached covid regulations in this instance

It seems to be raised across the media whenever Starmer or labour politicians are interviewed, and Burley saying that an on line quiz was going on raises serious questions
    Its not working on the public, from YouGov yesterday:

#Beergate stories haven't changed the public perception that Keir Starmer has generally abided by COVID rules

Generally did: 42% (+2 from Jan)
    Generally didn't: 28% (-)

Boris Johnson, meanwhile, is still seen as a rulebreaker

Generally did: 21% (+4)
    Generally didn't: 70% (-3) https://t.co/fwy7GhSwou

The mud isn't sticking because quite obviously SKS is a goody two shoes, while Johnsons pants are a conflagration.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I've come to think Brexit was a mistake, but people pointing to polls saying it wasnt a salient issue is one of the silliest arguments against it I've ever seen.

The proof of what people actually felt about it was in the action and outcome. Some polling doesnt mean shit.

It's just an expression of a what if scenario had a referendum not come up, utterly pointless and handily enabling the dismissal of all the concerns people raised and the votes they cast. Because people didn't really mean that because a poll showed it wasn't a priority.
  • Options
    Some local Tory candidates are so worried about being tainted by @BorisJohnson they
    - say 'please don't punish local Conservatives for mistakes made in Westminster'
    - admit 'there is lingering unhappiness with the national political scene'
    - omit 'Conservative' brand completely
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1521758845613264896/photo/1
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Good morning

Supporting or opposing government measures entirely based on the source is peak partisanship.

There was a focus group done, some years ago IIRC, where polices were presented without naming the party supporting them. Back in New Labour times, I think. Quite a few people strongly supported policies of the "wrong" party, until they were told which one they came from.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

Scott_xP said:

Cue HY to insist that 39% of Tory voters are not Tory voters, are not wanted, and indeed never did vote Tory.
    You have to remember the Tories won a landslide majority of 80 in 2019. Many Tory 2019 voters will therefore not have voted Tory before then or not voted Tory since 1987 when the Tories last won a landslide before then. They voted Tory for Boris to get Brexit done and to beat Corbyn. However both those aims have been achieved and many of them will go back to Labour now Corbyn has gone and Brexit been deliverered. Whatever the Tories do they were not natural Tories
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156
    IshmaelZ said:

Next.
    The Croatian president Zoran Milanović is pro-Russian and at odds with the Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenković on this and a number of other issues. I don't think Milanović's views represent the position of Croatia on NATO accession.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

And even in the seventies there were those who did very well throughout the years of economic debacle.

What's going to matter is where gas and oil prices are by the winter. If they haven't come down, things will get ugly.
    The cost of living crisis is driven by external causes - oil and gas prices, supply chain issues from aboard (COVID and BREXIT).

Bit like the 70s oil crisis(es)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I've come to think Brexit was a mistake, but people pointing to polls saying it wasnt a salient issue is one of the silliest arguments against it I've ever seen.

The proof of what people actually felt about it was in the action and outcome. Some polling doesnt mean shit.
    That depends. I detected a strong current of anti-establishment voting in both the EU referendum and indyref. I was explicitly told by several people in 2014 I should vote Yes or I'm a Tory. I think a lot of people in both referendums voted to kick Cameron rather than for what was actually on the table. Enough, I reckon, to have tipped the balance in 2016.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Next.
    The Croatian president Zoran Milanović is pro-Russian and at odds with the Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenković on this and a number of other issues. I don't think Milanović's views represent the position of Croatia on NATO accession.

Croatia is likely to get leaned on, hard, if the opposition is serious.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442
    Nigelb said:

Same in the 1930's.

As for this cycle, I suspect it looks very different for those who have paid off their mortgage (or nearly done so) vs. everyone else.

If you're doing well, it might be polite to keep quiet about it.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Updated just now
    71% REPORTED
    Candidate Votes
    J.D. Vance
    218,053 31.3%
    Josh Mandel
    169,416 24.3%
    Matt Dolan
    152,198 21.9%
    Mike Gibbons
    83,383 12.0%
    Jane Timken
    45,740 6.6%
    Mark Pukita
    18,031 2.6%
    Neil Patel
    9,565 1.4%
    Total reported

They thought Trump would slink off to Florida to play golf and have an enlarged prostate. Like many others, they failed to anticipate that he would come back in Dark MAGA form in 2024.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

The issue is mostly one of constrained supply raising prices, as a result of the pandemic and the war.

The economy isn’t being allowed to achieve its potential because of these constraints, and growth is lower than expected as a result.

It’s a very unusual situation, and is likely to persist for the next year or so.
  • Options

Next.
    Austria is compromised
    For Ukraine to meet the various tests for going from a candidate membership to full EU membership would take of the order of 10 years, in normal times.

Consider the road that Croatia took to joining the EU - many similar issues.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Or not a lot per person per head. Quiz? Sounds very innocuous compared with the raucous shenanigans nightly at 10 or 11 Downing Street. And as for the police standing about doing nothing, what were the Met doing when clinking suitcases were being carried in to this addresses?

And, Good Morning, one and all.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

IshmaelZ said:

Next.

The NATO rules are clear - accession has to be unanimous. No reason has to be given for a rejection.

I think the point about Croatia's president is that he is not head of government. The government and parliament seem to be in favour of Sweden and Finland joining NATO, so it's pretty doubtful that the president would actually be able to veto it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's just an expression of a what if scenario had a referendum not come up, utterly pointless and handily enabling the dismissal of all the concerns people raised and the votes they cast. Because people didn't really mean that because a poll showed it wasn't a priority.
    The Brexit referendum forced people to choose, often about an issue that they hadn't really thought a lot of previously. Such is the nature of referendums.

Once people had chosen their side their views on immigration, loss of control, or international institutions became core. This worked on both sides, and to a degree still does. Like many others I became much more pro-European as a result, while others went the other way.
  • Options

Next.
    Austria is compromised
    For Ukraine to meet the various tests for going from a candidate membership to full EU membership would take of the order of 10 years, in normal times.

Serbia and Montenegro are making slow process toward membership because they are failing to get to grips with corruption and they are unimpeachable bastions of rectitude compared to Ukraine.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156
    edited May 2022
    Nigelb said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Next.

Croatia is likely to get leaned on, hard, if the opposition is serious.
    Malmesbury is right imo, Hungary is the more serious veto threat to Finland and Sweden joining NATO. The Finns and Swedes know that. Viktor Orbán is much more of a problem than the Croatian president, not least because he pushes back when leaned on.

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Dura_Ace said:

Updated just now
    71% REPORTED
    Candidate Votes
    J.D. Vance
    218,053 31.3%
    Josh Mandel
    169,416 24.3%
    Matt Dolan
    152,198 21.9%
    Mike Gibbons
    83,383 12.0%
    Jane Timken
    45,740 6.6%
    Mark Pukita
    18,031 2.6%
    Neil Patel
    9,565 1.4%
    Total reported

They thought Trump would slink off to Florida to play golf and have an enlarged prostate. Like many others, they failed to anticipate that he would come back in Dark MAGA form in 2024.

I remember winding up a Trump-hating American neighbour about this when Biden won. "Don't worry, Trump will run again next time for yet more lols".

I was joking ...
  • Options
    kamski said:

IshmaelZ said:

Next.

I think the point about Croatia's president is that he is not head of government. The government and parliament seem to be in favour of Sweden and Finland joining NATO, so it's pretty doubtful that the president would actually be able to veto it.
    He has been, rather aggressively, on Russia's side in the whole Ukrainian issue. There will be some fun there. Which will probably end up in the Croatian courts.

I am still expecting a veto from Hungary on Sweden and Finland joining NATO - I would be happily surprised if that doesn't happen. But given the Hungarian governments behaviour to date.....
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

As yes "full employment". Which as we all know is always statistical spin whichever government claims it rather than lived reality. We know hundreds of thousands of older people simply left employment during the pandemic and others cannot find work despite the vacancies at Manchester Airport and elsewhere.

As for people spending money, that happens at the depth of every recession. Underneath the "its busy" perception the hospitality industry is still struggling to recover from Covid. The closure of a chunk of outlets has helped, but companies like Pret are still reporting only 65% of pre-Covid trade.

You may not be struggling - and I'm not either. But we're the exception rather than the rule.
    I never get why this is made personal, I was just stating facts.

In terms of full employment we do have it, if you want a job you can get one.

I left school in the early 80's when there was no work, the situation is radically different now.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Next.
    Austria is compromised

Serbia and Montenegro are making slow process toward membership because they are failing to get to grips with corruption and they are unimpeachable bastions of rectitude compared to Ukraine.
    Indeed that is why "Servant of the People" Zelensky was so electorally successful, and such an ideological threat to Putin. Zelensky was specifically mandated to move Ukraine away from being an oligarchical kleptocracy like Russia, but that work is a long job. Ironically Putin has accelerated it.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,821
    Eustice says energy companies pay enough tax and people should go for better value brands in the supermarket . Job done I’m sure this will go down well with voters !
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

You have to remember the Tories won a landslide majority of 80 in 2019. Many Tory 2019 voters will therefore not have voted Tory before then or not voted Tory since 1987 when the Tories last won a landslide before then. They voted Tory for Boris to get Brexit done and to beat Corbyn. However both those aims have been achieved and many of them will go back to Labour now Corbyn has gone and Brexit been deliverered. Whatever the Tories do they were not natural Tories
    @hyufd makes a good point although I would dispute brexit is done, but if these voters think so, so be it. One also has to ask if the Tories are doing so badly why aren't their poll ratings lower?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Crumbs. Even I got wordle in two today.
  • Options

I left school in the early 80's when there was no work, the situation is radically different now.
    Once again, COVID accelerated a process - in this case early retirement/slowing down

Quite a few people "retired" early, by replacing their full time jobs with part time plus pension.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cheese is yellow, any colour other than yellow for cheese and onion is an unacceptable monstrosity that only a troglodyte would use.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Me too. Obviously a word never far from the minds of PBers.

Disclosure: it's not 'twats'.
  • Options

Certainly true round here in the Midlands. Adverts all over the place almost pleading for staff. In various sectors.

I saw one last week outside a Hyundai main dealer: "Mechanics wanted. £1,000 sign on bonus plus £1,000 retention bonus".
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Me too. Obviously a word never far from the minds of PBers.

Disclosure: it's not 'twats'.
    Same here!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WHAAAT!

Can we talk rape right here?

How’s the oil crisis going to impact our favourite crisps? Should we start stockpiling and banditry? I 😍 the ones cooked in rapeseed oil.
  • Options
    The SLab surge is ON!

A full poll rather than a Scotch subsample so beloved of certain PBers so may be discounted, but still to see the slightest evidence that Unionist parties aren't guddling about in the same pool of voters.

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WHAAAT!

How’s the oil crisis going to impact our favourite crisps? Should we start stockpiling and banditry? I 😍 the ones cooked in rapeseed oil.
    I had no idea that there was anti salt n' vinegar sentiment out there. One of life's treats as far as I'm concerned. Right up there with pineapple on pizza.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Certainly true round here in the Midlands. Adverts all over the place almost pleading for staff. In various sectors.

I saw one last week outside a Hyundai main dealer: "Mechanics wanted. £1,000 sign on bonus plus £1,000 retention bonus".
    That's insane when you consider what a relatively low skill job being a "mechanic" at a main stealer is. Most of the time it's standing round pretending to do oil and filter changes but not doing them. All body and paint will be subbed out and nobody with a Hyundai old enough to have a serious engine issue is taking it to the dealer.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WHAAAT!

They go soft if you keep them for very long, so no.

And with the sunflower shortage, you're probably in luck.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Good morning

The Tory vote doesn't want the forrin here. This scheme had to be dragged out of the government and has been set up to be as difficult as possible. Thus they can say "aren't we generous" as they act ungenerously.
    If you believe that to be the case why was the government so generous on HK residency visas?

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

That's insane when you consider what a relatively low skill job being a "mechanic" at a main stealer is. Most of the time it's standing round pretending to do oil and filter changes but not doing them. All body and paint will be subbed out and nobody with a Hyundai old enough to have a serious engine issue is taking it to the dealer.
    Before too long I'll be needing four brake pads for my VW. The main VW dealer quoted me £408. I have no idea whether this is reasonable or not.

The thing is, even if I could save a few quid shopping around is the time spent doing this plus the uncertainty of the quality of work/components used versus the VW main dealer worth it? Or am I being a mug?
  • Options
    Looks as though Ukraine took out a sizeable supply column yesterday.
    https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1521556446747541510
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Before too long I'll be needing four brake pads for my VW. The main VW dealer quoted me £408. I have no idea whether this is reasonable or not.

The thing is, even if I could save a few quid shopping around is the time spent doing this plus the uncertainty of the quality of work/components used versus the VW main dealer worth it? Or am I being a mug?
    Unless the car is under warranty, it’s almost never worth taking it to the main dealer for service.

Their labour rates are often double what an independent would charge, and for something simple like brake pads the work wil be just as good.
This discussion has been closed.