Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Ohio, Ohio, Ohio – Measuring Trump’s Chances – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243
    Vance is winning (albeit with still partial returns everywhere) slew of mostly rural counties (Warren is his biggest so far)

Dolan is carrying Marion (Columbus) only big county to report anything yet, also some mid-sized counties; Mandel is taking some rural & small town counties.
    Andy_JS said:

Is Vance expected to win? I haven't been following the polls.

He's 45's anointed. Which made him front-runner, but not by much.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Complaining or exclaiming about major impact of religion upon the United States is a fool's errand.

Seeing as how religion has ALWAYS been a major factor in American history and thus politics. As it used to be in Europe, including UK.

Big difference here was that, unlike you, we did NOT fight bloody wars - civil, uncivil, international - over religion. Conflict, yes. Riots, occasionally. But NOTHING like the English Civil War or Thirty Years War.

Interesting part of our religious heritage - indeed its hallmark - is our diversity of faiths and esp. creeds. Which soon led - as in UK - to opposition to an established church. Difference was that establishment was too weak to survive here for very long, just a few decades after independence in a few states. And was of course banned federally.

We still argue what "separation of church and state" means. But few Americans think it's a bad thing per se - even the nutters!

Maybe you should try it sometime?

I’m sorry @SeaShantyIrish2 but this is nonsense. America is intensely religious in a way that it’s entirely alien to UK/Oz/Canada, and also most Europeans

So you may de jure have separation of church and state but de facto you do not. The Civil War was infused with religious debate and that killed 750,000 Americans - including fully 20% of all Southern men of fighting age
    Europeans USED to be intensely religious. Now you are intensely irreligious. Having totally lost your faith due to WAY too much wars of religion, auto de fes and "Gott Mit Uns"

Whereas Americans have NOT lost their faith, for the most part. And only a minority is theologically obsessed - just that it compares with about zilch in Europe PLUS the rest of the county have religious buttons that can definitely be pushed. For good (anti-Slavery), mixed (Prohibition) or ill (anti-Semitism).

I say Prohibition was mixed, because motivation (ending abuse of alcohol) was good but unexpected consequences (Al Capone) were bad. Same with "War on Drugs".
    In a sense there is something admirable about America’s debate on abortion

It is akin to the slavery debate, in its power, yet much more nuanced (both sides have good arguments: they obviously did not on slavery). This is a profound and serious moral issue and Americans REALLY care. Perhaps they care too much, and they might end up shooting each other, but arguably that is better than the shrug of the cynical European

Tricky. I’m glad the UK is not embittered by this debate yet I am also glad a serious western society is exercised by it

The UK performed the same service for the rest of the EU when we had Brexit
    It's interesting how most conservatives in the UK (and Europe) aren't particularly bothered about the abortion debate.
    It is not very interesting imo. There are two related questions that might be interesting.

One in the United States is the extent to which abortion determines a person's vote, in the sense that they would vote for the other party on other issues. Will pro-choice Republicans now vote Democrat? Will pro-life Democrats who were previously voting Republican in order to restrict abortion, now vote Democrat?

And here, might abortion be a Brexit-type issue? One where most people are vaguely content with the status quo, and do not give it a moment's thought from one year to the next, but where that might change if ever they are forced to vote on it because some idiot prime minister calls a referendum in order to buy off a vocal minority on one side or the other.
    Europe was an issue that tore the country's politics apart for generations, it wasn't just because a PM chose to call a referendum about it.

If you don't think that Europe was already a massive issue in this country pre-2016 (and had been since the 1980s if not earlier) then you weren't paying much attention.
    Opinion polls repeatedly showed that most people did not give any priority to Europe as an issue.
    The vastly higher turnout in the EU referendum compared with the AV referendum shows that it was considered a much more important issue.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,929

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Complaining or exclaiming about major impact of religion upon the United States is a fool's errand.

Seeing as how religion has ALWAYS been a major factor in American history and thus politics. As it used to be in Europe, including UK.

Big difference here was that, unlike you, we did NOT fight bloody wars - civil, uncivil, international - over religion. Conflict, yes. Riots, occasionally. But NOTHING like the English Civil War or Thirty Years War.

Interesting part of our religious heritage - indeed its hallmark - is our diversity of faiths and esp. creeds. Which soon led - as in UK - to opposition to an established church. Difference was that establishment was too weak to survive here for very long, just a few decades after independence in a few states. And was of course banned federally.

We still argue what "separation of church and state" means. But few Americans think it's a bad thing per se - even the nutters!

I’m sorry @SeaShantyIrish2 but this is nonsense. America is intensely religious in a way that it’s entirely alien to UK/Oz/Canada, and also most Europeans

So you may de jure have separation of church and state but de facto you do not. The Civil War was infused with religious debate and that killed 750,000 Americans - including fully 20% of all Southern men of fighting age
    Europeans USED to be intensely religious. Now you are intensely irreligious. Having totally lost your faith due to WAY too much wars of religion, auto de fes and "Gott Mit Uns"

Whereas Americans have NOT lost their faith, for the most part. And only a minority is theologically obsessed - just that it compares with about zilch in Europe PLUS the rest of the county have religious buttons that can definitely be pushed. For good (anti-Slavery), mixed (Prohibition) or ill (anti-Semitism).

I say Prohibition was mixed, because motivation (ending abuse of alcohol) was good but unexpected consequences (Al Capone) were bad. Same with "War on Drugs".

It is akin to the slavery debate, in its power, yet much more nuanced (both sides have good arguments: they obviously did not on slavery). This is a profound and serious moral issue and Americans REALLY care. Perhaps they care too much, and they might end up shooting each other, but arguably that is better than the shrug of the cynical European

Tricky. I’m glad the UK is not embittered by this debate yet I am also glad a serious western society is exercised by it

It's interesting how most conservatives in the UK (and Europe) aren't particularly bothered about the abortion debate.
    It is not very interesting imo. There are two related questions that might be interesting.

One in the United States is the extent to which abortion determines a person's vote, in the sense that they would vote for the other party on other issues. Will pro-choice Republicans now vote Democrat? Will pro-life Democrats who were previously voting Republican in order to restrict abortion, now vote Democrat?

And here, might abortion be a Brexit-type issue? One where most people are vaguely content with the status quo, and do not give it a moment's thought from one year to the next, but where that might change if ever they are forced to vote on it because some idiot prime minister calls a referendum in order to buy off a vocal minority on one side or the other.
    Europe was an issue that tore the country's politics apart for generations, it wasn't just because a PM chose to call a referendum about it.

If you don't think that Europe was already a massive issue in this country pre-2016 (and had been since the 1980s if not earlier) then you weren't paying much attention.
    Opinion polls repeatedly showed that most people did not give any priority to Europe as an issue.
    The vastly higher turnout in the EU referendum compared with the AV referendum shows that it was considered a much more important issue.
    Yes but only after a referendum was called. That is the point.
    Among larger counties here are leaders

Vance: Butler (Middletown), Warren (ditto), Stark (Canton), Greene (Springfield), Delaware & Fairfield (Columbus burbs), Clermont (Cincinnati burbs)

Dolan: Franklin (Columbus), Cuyahoga (Cleveland), Lake & Lorrain (Cleveland burbs),
    AP has called US Sen. Democratic primary in Ohio for Tim Ryan, with 74% (17% counted)
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Cui bono?

I clerked at the Supreme Court. Last night, I assumed a liberal clerk leaked the draft opinion overturning Roe. Now I think MUCH more likely it was leaked by a conservative fanatically committed to every word of Alito’s monstrous opinion. **🧵**

https://twitter.com/akapczynski/status/1521494553877962754
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The perceived closeness of the result also likely spurred turnout.
    14% reported
    J.D. Vance
    30,975 25.4%
    Matt Dolan
    28,834 23.7%
    Josh Mandel
    26,926 22.1%
    Mike Gibbons
    18,404 15.1%
    Jane Timken
    12,651 10.4%
    Mark Pukita
    2,312 1.9%
    Neil Patel
    1,654 1.4%
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited May 2022
    Oooh very exciting.

A company called “Cityfibre” are digging up my road (in the midlands) to install fttp. A bit of googling indicates the network is theoretically upgradable to 100Gbps in the future. That’s properly world leading.

Finally. It’s taken way too long for the govt/internet infrastructure providers to get their ass into gear, but we’re nearly there. I don’t know if Boris can credibly claim credit for this piece of “levelling up” but it’s great news, anyway.

Still not going to vote for the lying sack of shit, obviously.

We voters are ungrateful sods.
    edited May 2022
    Ohio GOP US Senate race pretty tight right now, with Vance and Mandel splitting rural counties, Dolan winning Cleveland area and Columbus, and Vance doing well in suburban turf elsewhere.

EDIT - so far zero votes reported out of Hamilton (Cincinnati)

2nd EDIT - no doubt some PBers awaiting with baited breath returns from Licking Co
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286

Ohio GOP US Senate race pretty tight right now, with Vance and Mandel splitting rural counties, Dolan winning Cleveland area and Columbus, and Vance doing well in suburban turf elsewhere.

Is it a "winner takes all" contest? Sorry for all the questions. I tried looking it up just now and couldn't find the answer.
    Can anyone spot what is WRONG about this NYT (web) headline?

"The brother of former Vice President Mike Pence won re-election to Congress in Indiana."

Can anyone spot what is WRONG about this NYT (web) headline?

"The brother of former Vice President Mike Pence won re-election to Congress in Indiana."

The election isn't until November.
    In Ohio 7th Congressional District, in ballots counted so far (all vote-by-mail) incumbent US Rep. Shontel Brown, a moderate, is leading primary challenger, progressive Nina Turner, in this heavily Democratic, majority Black district.

This is rematch of 2021 special congressional election won by Brown. This time, progressive leaders & funders who backed Turner heavily, mostly (except for Bernie Sanders and AOC sorta) did not.

My fearless prediction is that Congresswoman Brown is renominated tonight AND re-elected this Fall.
    Andy_JS said:

Is it a "winner takes all" contest? Sorry for all the questions. I tried looking it up just now and couldn't find the answer.
    Yes, for Republican nomination. FPTP, no primary runoffs in Ohio or Indiana.
    Gov Mike DeWine of Ohio, a reasonably sane Republican, renominated easily versus two main GOP who split anti-establishment vote. Should win re-election without too much trouble.
    The Sohio Song

Me-o my-o
    I'm So-hi-o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil_of_Ohio
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    @Redistrict
    I've seen enough: J.D. Vance (R) wins the Republican nomination for #OHSEN and will face Tim Ryan (D) in the fall.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1521651670270283778
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,929
    ping said:

Oooh very exciting.

A company called “Cityfibre” are digging up my road (in the midlands) to install fttp. A bit of googling indicates the network is theoretically upgradable to 100Gbps in the future. That’s properly world leading.

Finally. It’s taken way too long for the govt/internet infrastructure providers to get their ass into gear, but we’re nearly there. I don’t know if Boris can credibly claim credit for this piece of “levelling up” but it’s great news, anyway.

Still not going to vote for the lying sack of shit, obviously.

We voters are ungrateful sods.

Upgrading internet infrastructure was in the Conservative programme so well done Boris, whether or not this particular instance has in any way connected with HMG. And "theoretically upgradable" does sound promising.

@Redistrict
    I've seen enough: J.D. Vance (R) wins the Republican nomination for #OHSEN and will face Tim Ryan (D) in the fall.

Vance has a five point lead with a third of votes counted: it looks like he's the fairly comfortable winner. (Unless the bulk of remaining votes are from the big cities, but that seems unlikely.)
    The Dems look to have avoided any really silly primary picks: moderates have beaten "progressives" across the board today. And Tim Ryan looks to be a good opponent to Vance.
    Updated just now
    34% REPORTED
    Candidate Vote
    J.D. Vance
    92,638 30.1%
    Josh Mandel
    74,669 24.3%
    Matt Dolan
    66,786 21.7%
    Mike Gibbons
    39,315 12.8%
    Jane Timken
    24,145 7.8%
    Mark Pukita
    6,737 2.2%
    Neil Patel
    3,464 1.1%
    Total reported
    edited May 2022
    Vance is picking up steam as votes cast today get counted, he's now 6% points ahead of Mandel who in turn is 3% points ahead of Dolan with 48% of statewide vote reported

Edit - based on where outstanding vote are coming from, expect Dolan to improve, but he's too far back to catch up methinks.
    rcs1000 said:

@Redistrict

Vance has a five point lead with a third of votes counted: it looks like he's the fairly comfortable winner. (Unless the bulk of remaining votes are from the big cities, but that seems unlikely.)
    NYT mapping shows where votes left to count are, there are mostly in larger counties HOWEVER also big pool of them in SW Ohio where Vance has been leading.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,397
    Here's a stray thought. Suppose Vance wins the Republican primary, and then goes on to win the general election.

And then gets a serious case of ingratitude toward Trump. The author of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly_Elegy has a diagnosis of the problems of the rural working class that is unlike Trumpism, to say the least:
    Alongside his personal history, Vance raises questions such as the responsibility of his family and people for their own misfortune. Vance blames hillbilly culture and its supposed encouragement of social rot. Comparatively, he feels that economic insecurity plays a much lesser role. To lend credence to his argument, Vance regularly relies on personal experience. As a grocery store checkout cashier, he watched welfare recipients talk on cell phones although the working Vance could not afford one.
    Now, to say the least, blaming voters for their problems is unusual. But Vance might get away with it, and he would have six years to make his case to the voters, no matter what Trump does. (He'll turn 38 in August, so it seems nearly certain that he would want a second term, and perhaps a higher office.)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    .Korea, Britain in talks over nuclear power plant construction project
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=328475
    AP calls Ohio US Senate Republican Primary for Vance

Updated just now
    71% REPORTED
    Candidate Votes
    J.D. Vance
    218,053 31.3%
    Josh Mandel
    169,416 24.3%
    Matt Dolan
    152,198 21.9%
    Mike Gibbons
    83,383 12.0%
    Jane Timken
    45,740 6.6%
    Mark Pukita
    18,031 2.6%
    Neil Patel
    9,565 1.4%
    Total reported
    The Alito opinion appears to open the door to Republicans running on a federal abortion ban at the next election.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/05/alito-roe-draft-leak-abortion-congress-federal-ban.html

The opinion is certainly a big change from previous leave it to each state to legislate conservative jurisprudence.
    Nigelb said:

The Alito opinion appears to open the door to Republicans running on a federal abortion ban at the next election.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/05/alito-roe-draft-leak-abortion-congress-federal-ban.html

The opinion is certainly a big change from previous leave it to each state to legislate conservative jurisprudence.

Note sure that would be a good platform for the GOP to run on, save for most gungho religious conservatives. Most voters are concerned about abortion - one way or another - in their own state.

Majority of anti-abortion voters will have what they want via state bans in their states. Going for federal ban would stir up hornets nest in pro-choice states. And some of in the anti camp would fear potential for provoking more backlash that they could handle - including back in their bailiwicks.
    edited May 2022

Nigelb said:

Note sure that would be a good platform for the GOP to run on, save for most gungho religious conservatives. Most voters are concerned about abortion - one way or another - in their own state.

Majority of anti-abortion voters will have what they want via state bans in their states. Going for federal ban would stir up hornets nest in pro-choice states. And some of in the anti camp would fear potential for provoking more backlash that they could handle - including back in their bailiwicks.
    It would certainly be a very high risk (aka daft) strategy, but it's not impossible, as the internal logic of the conservative line on abortion pushes them in that direction.

And the most committed tend to have the biggest voice in the primaries.

The point being that this opinion, should it stand as the judgment if the najority, opens the door at least to the possibility of that being the battle in the 2024 election.
    'What is going on in Shanghai': Horror as elderly man taken to morgue in body bag -- while still alive
    By Jessie Yeung, CNN"

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/03/china/shanghai-morgue-care-home-resident-intl-hnk/index.html
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Andy_JS said:

'What is going on in Shanghai': Horror as elderly man taken to morgue in body bag -- while still alive
    By Jessie Yeung, CNN"

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/03/china/shanghai-morgue-care-home-resident-intl-hnk/index.html

"Bring out your dead."
    Great BBC piece on Sir John Curtice;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61219371
    edited May 2022
    “How the FED lost the plot”

https://www.ft.com/content/53358427-a244-4a1c-9ab6-3706f7ebda6c

I missed this, from last week (linked to in^ article);

“Deutsche Bank Sees 5%-6% Fed Target Rate and Deep U.S. Recession.

A significant recession by next year seems likely, it says

U.S. unemployment may rise several points, economists project”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-26/deutsche-bank-sees-5-6-fed-target-rate-and-deep-u-s-recession
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    I suppose it was going to happen eventually...

Wordle 319 1/6

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    tlg86 said:

Wordle 319 1/6

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 319 2/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Got wordle in 4

Pft
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Wordle 319 1/6

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 319 2/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Wordle 319 2/6

🟨🟨🟨🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    edited May 2022
    Danny Blanchflower on r4;

Looks like UK is probably already in recession. BoE should cut interest rates.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    ping said:

Fastest growth in the G7!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

Both can be true...!

Stagflation is here and not just here, but all over.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,770

On the plus side, Boris is absorbing a lot of that hatred and resentment, and it will pass with him, like a bad bank, or a decommissioned nuclear site, or in a strange way, Jesus.
    Boris is like Jesus for taking on our sins is the oddest hot take I've ever seen on this site. 😲

Politics doesn't just pass like that. If the Tories lose the next election, they'll probably be out of power for at least a decade.
    Boris as scapegoat (which was the role Jesus was playing) is a common sentiment though
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,129
    Russia now accusing Ukraine of magic..

@rianru

В штабе украинских военных нашли признаки занятия черной магией
    ria.ru/20220504/magiy…

Signs of black magic found at the headquarters of the Ukrainian military
    ria.ru/20220504/magiy…

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1521679788053827584
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667

On the plus side, Boris is absorbing a lot of that hatred and resentment, and it will pass with him, like a bad bank, or a decommissioned nuclear site, or in a strange way, Jesus.
    Boris is like Jesus for taking on our sins is the oddest hot take I've ever seen on this site. 😲

Politics doesn't just pass like that. If the Tories lose the next election, they'll probably be out of power for at least a decade.
    Boris as scapegoat (which was the role Jesus was playing) is a common sentiment though
    How about Boris as Judas? And even as Pilate?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    edited May 2022
    ping said:

Danny Blanchflower, a walking advert for the stupidity and lack of sense of academic economists.

Unless that's a parody, with him it's hard to tell the difference.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    ClippP said:

No, PIlate is his Ministers of Justice. "What is truth?" and washing their hands clean of the law.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089
    ClippP said:

Or Moses, leading us towards a promised land (though with a multi-decade delay on arrival, milk and honey.)

That ability to embody all sorts of archetypes might be behind his love/hate status.

Tending towards hate as people realise that all of it is an act.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

Danny Blanchflower, a walking advert for the stupidity and lack of sense of academic economists.

Most of them - the politicians included - seem caught up in this micro-level death spiral. Economy is bad, so how can we afford stuff, which makes the economy bad. Rinse and repeat.

There is both a long list of stuff this country needs to spend money on and a population in need of jobs. Radical idea - why not invest in clean energy and fibre broadband and transport infrastructure and new schools and affordable childcare and create jobs doing it that generates taxes and economic output?

You cannot cut your way to growth. Especially when our infrastructure provision even on strategic things like power generation is embarrassingly poor. We need to start spending £dollah and quickly, so with our new post-Brexit freedoms we really could be doing the "British jobs for British workers" thing. Or we could, if it wasn't for the reality that the Boris Brexiteers vision of Brexit was to exploit poorly educated chattel in low cost jobs for quick profits.
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Good FT article on Irish Unity post-Sinn Fein victory this week

For those that know how to get around the paywall, try this:

“Would a Sinn Féin victory open the door to a united Ireland? “

TL;DR: A Sinn Fein victory in NI will be a minor earthquake, and they could also win in Dublin, but we are many many miles from a United Ireland, and Ulsterpeople show no appetite for a poll

Which is quite understandable, as right now Ulsterpeople have the best deal in Europe - EU Freedom of Movement as Irish citizens yet also UK free trade/NHS as Brits, and as part of Britain. They would be mad to give up this uniquely benign situation

Why is being the EU a marvelous boon for the Six Counties but a nightmarish obscenity for the rest of the UK?
    Also, things will develop not necessarily to Tory and Unionist advantage. It is HMG policy to erase dual nationality as far as they can in their own operations. For instance, in marriage rights. And we have not yet had HMG unilaterally abrogate the NIP which they themselves proclaimed as the best and most wonderful solution to that particular Brexit issue.
    edited May 2022

ClippP said:

Or Moses, leading us towards a promised land (though with a multi-decade delay on arrival, milk and honey.)

That ability to embody all sorts of archetypes might be behind his love/hate status.

Tending towards hate as people realise that all of it is an act.
    Pied Piper is a more accurate archetype.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    Good morning

Depressing headlines today on cost of living crisis and the war in Ukraine

I have listened to Boris's interview yesterday and he demonstrated an utter lack of empathy and frankly sounds like an empty vessel

Boris and Rishi together have taken the conservative party to the brink of disastrous local elections and longer term a real likelihood of a dreadful defeat in 24

I cannot understand just how conservative mps have allowed this situation to develop and just hope that post the locals they take action to remove Boris and start the process of recovering competence, honesty and integrity

I note that the SNP are falling in the polls as labour rises and I hope labour cut through in Scotland as they deserve better than Sturgeon and her government

As far as the cost of living crisis, I believe it will overwhelm most governments as it is impossible for any government to mitigate the adverse effects other than on the margins

Good morning

I have listened to Boris's interview yesterday and he demonstrated an utter lack of empathy and frankly sounds like an empty vessel

Boris and Rishi together have taken the conservative party to the brink of disastrous local elections and longer term a real likelihood of a dreadful defeat in 24

I cannot understand just how conservative mps have allowed this situation to develop and just hope that post the locals they take action to remove Boris and start the process of recovering competence, honesty and integrity

I note that the SNP are falling in the polls as labour rises and I hope labour cut through in Scotland as they deserve better than Sturgeon and her government

As far as the cost of living crisis, I believe it will overwhelm most governments as it is impossible for any government to mitigate the adverse effects other than on the margins

Oh, so you are happy for the Scots to suffer the Labour Party, but not the rUK?

You can't have the Tories without Mr Johnson. It's too late now.
    This is a brilliant bit of honesty on a 'Pools Tory leaflet. "please don't punish local Conservatives for the mistakes made in Westminster". https://twitter.com/SurreyHeathLDs/status/1521590122566885377/photo/1

Nope. If you are running as a Conservative you represent lies. Criminality. Malfeasance. Incompetence. You put that party ID next to your name, you say "these are my values".
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

It's easier to grow when your economy had dropped through the floor. The real test is the score for this year and next.

Good morning

Morning Big_G. I agree that the cost of living crisis is going to swamp them. And for a very specific reason - they simply don't care. Boris does boosterism, so even "I can't afford to heat my home so I ride the bus" got processed and responded to with "I gave you that bus pass" as if the cold pensioner should be appreciative.

Boosterism is a refusal to accept there is a problem. Hence the repeated "Dear Prime Minister please stop lying, luv the ONS" letters in response to "FASTEST GROWING ECONOMY IN THE G7". Hence the "can't people spend their savings to pay their energy bills, we must protect BP and Shell" responses.

This government are going to deny there is a problem. Tell people if they are struggling it is their fault because its always booming in Boris's Britain. And then offer them a shiny sixpence off their £5,000 personal finance black hole and expect gratitude.

Any other Tory government would do better because they would at least apply a veneer of being concerned.

dixiedean said:

ping said:

It's easier to grow when your economy had dropped through the floor. The real test is the score for this year and next.
    I think Dixie was being sarcastic...

Trigger warning for @Gardenwalker

@MrHarryCole
    EXC: Met police bodyguards looked on as Sir Keir Starmer and Labour allies consumed £200 of curry…

Fresh pressure for Durham Police to open investigation into #beergate as it emerges fellow cops were witnesses…

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1521601164697083906

The Mail unintentionally raised an interesting question today.

If Starmer and his team did no work *after* beer and curry then at what point did work end and social begin?

I’m not sure there’s a good answer to that (which is why the rules were a bit silly)
    Carnyx said:

Good morning

Oh, so you are happy for the Scots to suffer the Labour Party, but not the rUK?

You can't have the Tories without Mr Johnson. It's too late now.
    The Scots would suffer less under the labour party than the failing SNP and a new conservative leader would start a process of recovering competence

I prefer a conservative government not least because here in Wales we are living under a labour government which is failing the NHS and education and poverty prevails in many parts of Wales
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587

Good morning

But then Johnson was lauded by, well everyone, for his speech to the Ukrainian Parliament. The Churchill channelled soundbites were superb. Well done Boris!

I took the time to listen to the speech in its entirety. Well, it was about 50% of the way to being a Peppa Pig car crash. Lucky that was all lost in translation. He looked poorly prepared for such a big event. Did he lose his notes again?

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Most of them - the politicians included - seem caught up in this micro-level death spiral. Economy is bad, so how can we afford stuff, which makes the economy bad. Rinse and repeat.

There is both a long list of stuff this country needs to spend money on and a population in need of jobs. Radical idea - why not invest in clean energy and fibre broadband and transport infrastructure and new schools and affordable childcare and create jobs doing it that generates taxes and economic output?

You cannot cut your way to growth. Especially when our infrastructure provision even on strategic things like power generation is embarrassingly poor. We need to start spending £dollah and quickly, so with our new post-Brexit freedoms we really could be doing the "British jobs for British workers" thing. Or we could, if it wasn't for the reality that the Boris Brexiteers vision of Brexit was to exploit poorly educated chattel in low cost jobs for quick profits.
    Spending on domestic power generation (tidal, for instance) would be a net good. But there's no quick fix for the energy price shock until the war in Ukraine is over.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I think you mean tore the Conservative party apart, no-one else gave a toss. It never topped that What are your most salient concerns poll.

@MrHarryCole
    EXC: Met police bodyguards looked on as Sir Keir Starmer and Labour allies consumed £200 of curry…

Fresh pressure for Durham Police to open investigation into #beergate as it emerges fellow cops were witnesses…

If Starmer and his team did no work *after* beer and curry then at what point did work end and social begin?

I’m not sure there’s a good answer to that (which is why the rules were a bit silly)
    Today's latest "revelations" really make a tit of the Mail stories. £200 of curry divided by dozens plural of activists = not much curry. Yet the Mail was clear that Starmer was illegally ladeling a curry feast into Rayner's illegal growler whilst swilling down a lake of lager.

Methinks there's also a lack of understanding of how things work in a campaign centre deep into a campaign. If you have the time you practically live there - I've eaten all three meals of the day there before now. Eating whilst talking about what is happening the day after is hardly unusual.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,097

Good morning

But then Johnson was lauded by, well everyone, for his speech to the Ukrainian Parliament. The Churchill channelled soundbites were superb. Well done Boris!

I took the time to listen to the speech in its entirety. Well, it was about 50% of the way to being a Peppa Pig car crash. Lucky that was all lost in translation. He looked poorly prepared for such a big event. Did he lose his notes again?
    Good morning.

Did different people write those two paragraphs? I'm confused.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Croatian President wants some attention, Mélenchon is making hay, and Austria don't want Ukraine to join the EU because neutrality.

Next.

Good morning ...

Good morning, Big_G.
    Fair or not, the message 'not us, gov' isn't going to wash from a party that's been in power for over a decade.

Good morning

Morning Big_G. I agree that the cost of living crisis is going to swamp them. And for a very specific reason - they simply don't care. Boris does boosterism, so even "I can't afford to heat my home so I ride the bus" got processed and responded to with "I gave you that bus pass" as if the cold pensioner should be appreciative.

Boosterism is a refusal to accept there is a problem. Hence the repeated "Dear Prime Minister please stop lying, luv the ONS" letters in response to "FASTEST GROWING ECONOMY IN THE G7". Hence the "can't people spend their savings to pay their energy bills, we must protect BP and Shell" responses.

This government are going to deny there is a problem. Tell people if they are struggling it is their fault because its always booming in Boris's Britain. And then offer them a shiny sixpence off their £5,000 personal finance black hole and expect gratitude.

Any other Tory government would do better because they would at least apply a veneer of being concerned.
    I largely agree and despair at the inability of HMG and especially Boris and Rishi to show they really care and I cannot recall a conservative government so aloof and out of touch

It is fair to say only so much can be achieved by any government overwhelmed by this economy crisis but at least you can show you care
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Spending on domestic power generation (tidal, for instance) would be a net good. But there's no quick fix for the energy price shock until the war in Ukraine is over.
    No there isn't. But successive governments have failed to think long term and do what is needed beyond the life of the next election. We need to be as self-sufficient as we can be regardless of Ukraine - I was banging on here about the need to invest in and then export clean energy technology long before Vlad went mad.

Good morning

Supposedly he deviated massively from the published "here is what he will say" notes. So yes, it does suggest that just like the infamous Peppa Pig World speech to the CBI he is incapable of reading a speech and decided to wing it. That can work, but only for people who are naturally eloquent and coherent.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,097
    edited May 2022

Whilst some of the current crisis is unquestionably international, equally a lot of it is not. Boris Johnson has brought about much of this. His careless lack of attention to detail and propensity to spaff out on the nation's credit card mirrors his own personal financial chaos.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Updated just now
    71% REPORTED
    Candidate Votes
    J.D. Vance
    218,053 31.3%
    Josh Mandel
    169,416 24.3%
    Matt Dolan
    152,198 21.9%
    Mike Gibbons
    83,383 12.0%
    Jane Timken
    45,740 6.6%
    Mark Pukita
    18,031 2.6%
    Neil Patel
    9,565 1.4%
    Total reported

Seems a pretty clear win and therefore good news for Trump, right? His coat-tails evidently very effective for a GOP primary. Also, perhaps, good news for the Democrats in Ohio - is there polling on how they'll do vs Vance?
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

No there isn't. But successive governments have failed to think long term and do what is needed beyond the life of the next election. We need to be as self-sufficient as we can be regardless of Ukraine - I was banging on here about the need to invest in and then export clean energy technology long before Vlad went mad.
    Though to be fair, that's in part because we the voters have made it clear we want tax cuts and high current spending. Not investments that will benefit the future.

In the long run, it is true that countries get the politicians they deserve.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    "If Mr. Vance prevails in the fall, the 37-year-old graduate of Yale Law School and investor would become the second-youngest member of the Senate, the chamber’s youngest Republican and a rare freshman who would arrive in Washington with a national profile."

NY Times blog

Mark my words, this is a future POTUS candidate. As they say that rare national profile.

Heathener said:

Good morning

Good morning.

It's not complicated - most heard only the sound bites, if they heard it at all. And the Ukraine Parliament heard it in translation.

Appreciation for the government's actions on Ukraine is what counts. (And while I share that, it isn't going to stop my voting for someone else.)

Good morning

I will not criticise him for his speech to the Ukraine Parliament which was very well received with standing ovations from a county suffering unspeakable war crimes and clearly count Boris and the UK as their strongest ally

Notwithstanding, it will not move many votes as his utter inability to apply himself to relieving the cost of living crisis

Updated just now
    71% REPORTED
    Candidate Votes
    J.D. Vance
    218,053 31.3%
    Josh Mandel
    169,416 24.3%
    Matt Dolan
    152,198 21.9%
    Mike Gibbons
    83,383 12.0%
    Jane Timken
    45,740 6.6%
    Mark Pukita
    18,031 2.6%
    Neil Patel
    9,565 1.4%
    Total reported

Seems a pretty clear win and therefore good news for Trump, right? His coat-tails evidently very effective for a GOP primary. Also, perhaps, good news for the Democrats in Ohio - is there polling on how they'll do vs Vance?
    Certainly not the result I was hoping for as someone who thinks Trump winning in 2024 will be a catastrophic disaster for US and Nato and the West.

There are some more primaries though later this month - maybe Trump will not gain traction in those?

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Many of us have - including several Conservatives here, to be fair.

Good morning

I will not criticise him for his speech to the Ukraine Parliament which was very well received with standing ovations from a county suffering unspeakable war crimes and clearly count Boris and the UK as their strongest ally

Notwithstanding, it will not move many votes as his utter inability to apply himself to relieving the cost of living crisis
    I will. I have the most serious concerns about any leader who goes off the cuff on such a sensitive occasion for foreign policy. That you won't criticise him is strange. The locals weren't going to be rude, any more than the CBI were going to start throwing bread rolls when Mr Johnson went on about Peppa Pig.

Nigelb said:

Good morning ...

Good morning, Big_G.
    Fair or not, the message 'not us, gov' isn't going to wash from a party that's been in power for over a decade.
    Absolutely
    edited May 2022
    Worth noting that Vance had the good sense to spot what Trump was way back in 2016 and even warned he could be America's "Hitler".

Completely changed his tune in order to win office.

The question will be how much of an enabler of Trump and his cult authoritarianism Vance will be if he wins a Senate seat. At least we know at one point he could see what was happening.

Good morning

The Pensioners Bus Pass is part of the reason that rural bus services are not viable. The amount that the bus company gets per journey is too low.

A classic example of gimmicky policy that is self defeating. What is the point of a bus pass when you no longer have a service?

22% of bus routes have gone in the last decade, particularly in the pandemic, but pandemic funding has now expired and the emergency funding goes in October. Most affected are the NW, East and East Midlands.

https://governmentbusiness.co.uk/news/04042022/quarter-bus-routes-axed-england-last-decade
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785

This is a brilliant bit of honesty on a 'Pools Tory leaflet. "please don't punish local Conservatives for the mistakes made in Westminster". https://twitter.com/SurreyHeathLDs/status/1521590122566885377/photo/1

Nope. If you are running as a Conservative you represent lies. Criminality. Malfeasance. Incompetence. You put that party ID next to your name, you say "these are my values".

Like this btl contribution :)

https://twitter.com/IainCroker/status/1521596766159843331?t=PNedDmDeCLVfB-WEM3D3-g&s=19
    EPG said:

If the genotype theory of political attitudes were true ("we will outbreed the pro-choicers!"), many aspects of society would look very different across the world, so I don't think it is the most important factor.

The theory that there was a higher prevalence of homosexuality in Southern States (because there was a genetic predisposition and gays were culturally incentivised to marry and breed) always amused me.

I have no idea whether it’s true or not (I suspect not) but it would be darkly ironic…

Worth noting that Vance had the good sense to spot what Trump was way back in 2016 and even warned he could be America's "Hitler".

The question will be how much of an enabler of Trump and his cult authoritarianism Vance will be if he wins a Senate seat. At least we know at one point he could see what was happening.

And what his principles are worth.
    Carnyx said:

Good morning

I will. I have the most serious concerns about any leader who goes off the cuff on such a sensitive occasion for foreign policy. That you won't criticise him is strange. The locals weren't going to be rude, any more than the CBI were going to start throwing bread rolls when Mr Johnson went on about Peppa Pig.

I am not going to criticise him over Ukraine - all that does is help Putin

Good morning

I largely agree and despair at the inability of HMG and especially Boris and Rishi to show they really care and I cannot recall a conservative government so aloof and out of touch

It is fair to say only so much can be achieved by any government overwhelmed by this economy crisis but at least you can show you care
    We mustn't forget Johnson appalling comment yesterday that he couldn't raise benefit levels despite the financial catastrophe facing many on social security because it would mean interest rates had to go up.

Economic codswallop which I suspect he just literally made up as he spoke.

Carnyx said:

Good morning

I am not going to criticise him over Ukraine - all that does is help Putin
    Can't ytou see the difference between doing something and doing something competently?

Croatian President wants some attention, Mélenchon is making hay, and Austria don't want Ukraine to join the EU because neutrality.

Next.
    If the US want Finland in then I very much doubt Croatia's view will count for much.

@MrHarryCole

Today's latest "revelations" really make a tit of the Mail stories. £200 of curry divided by dozens plural of activists = not much curry. Yet the Mail was clear that Starmer was illegally ladeling a curry feast into Rayner's illegal growler whilst swilling down a lake of lager.

Methinks there's also a lack of understanding of how things work in a campaign centre deep into a campaign. If you have the time you practically live there - I've eaten all three meals of the day there before now. Eating whilst talking about what is happening the day after is hardly unusual.
    Indeed, and quite obviously Starmer and Rayner didnt each travel hundreds of miles for a social event, no matter how nice Hartlepool curries are.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

You could say that of lots of Republicans. Even Lindsey Graham. These Republicans have not been an effective brake on Trump at all. They've made the calculation that they absolutely require to be in with the Trump crowd to retain support among the Republican base.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I HATE AMERICAN AIRLINES

Delayed flight to DC, miss my flight to Asia. Everything is fucked

Sorry to hear that. 😕

Even more sorry if it means you have to come home now 😆
    I ent comin’ ‘ome

I have a feeling my hideous 23 hour three-flight-connection USA-EU-Asia is about to turn into 36 hours
    Well, Louisiana IS a state of incompetence. Also lots of pilot & crew shortages in US airlines.

EDIT - Perhaps wire your editor, rent another car, and head for El Lay by way of Omaha?
    I’m right. My next flight is TOMORROW afternoon from DC. Jesus F Christ. It’s turned from 23 hours to about 63 hours
    So can you visit Our Nation's Capital? Or have another day in Crescent City?
    The cherry blossoms in Washington these days
  • IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I think you mean tore the Conservative party apart, no-one else gave a toss. It never topped that What are your most salient concerns poll.
    Just because its not the most salient concern doesn't mean its not a concern.

It certainly tore the Conservative Party apart, but it tore our politics apart nationally even ignoring the Conservatives (which is a silly thing to do, considering they're one of the two main parties).

For the Lib Dems the issue was so concerning that the Lib Dems put an in/out referendum into their 2010 manifesto. So you can't blame Cameron for the "stupidity" of having an in/out referendum if you're a Lib Dem who were the first main party to put it in their own manifesto. That was literally Cameron taking a policy from him Coalition allies and making it his own, not the only time that happened its worth saying.

For Labour the issue was so concerning that Blair went into 2005 pledging a Referendum on the EU Constitution (later renamed to the Lisbon Treaty). Blair then reneged on that pledge because he knew he'd lose the Referendum. Brown then refused to join the photo op for the signing of the Treaty as it was so contentious and slunk off and did it away from everyone else. Blair also wanted to take Britain into the Euro and refused to hold a referendum, under the cover of the farcical five tests, because he knew he'd lose it.

If it was only a Conservative issue, why did Labour pledge a referendum earlier and then not hold it?
    If it was only a Conservative issue, why did the Lib Dems pledge an in/out referendum?

By their own actions, all parties knew it was a serious issue for the country.
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

Good morning

Good morning.

I was setting up the media edit before offering my own analysis. As you have previously asserted I must be a Boris Johnson staffer, so the second paragraph came as a surprise, did it not?

You could say that of lots of Republicans. Even Lindsey Graham. These Republicans have not been an effective brake on Trump at all. They've made the calculation that they absolutely require to be in with the Trump crowd to retain support among the Republican base.
    Sadly true. And the ones who have bravely called out Trump's attempt at a coup are facing primary defeat e.g. Chenney in Montana.

Looks like we face a world with Trump back in WH unless somehow Dems can find a new star.

Utterly bleak prospect. They wont get him out again while he is still alive if he wins or takes power via some GOP rigging of the result.

As Fiona Hill said in the Andrew Neil interview I posted yesterday, we now have a GOP that increasingly does not believe in the democratic process.

• TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    Foxy said:

@MrHarryCole

Indeed, and quite obviously Starmer and Rayner didnt each travel hundreds of miles for a social event, no matter how nice Hartlepool curries are.
    The curry was actually in Durham, the office of the local MP, Mary Foy.

Durham have some decent curry houses.

Amaani at the Pumphouse is especially good.
    edited May 2022

Trump won't be around that long, so the battle is on to succeed him. Think longer term, and Vance could be a candidate himself in 2028.

I quite liked Hillbilly Elegy (the book, not the film) but Vance seems to take the line that because he has made it out, anyone can.

Incidentally for a former US Marine this is telling of the Trumpite view:

Ohio Senate candidate JD Vance in February: “I gotta be honest with you, I don’t really care what happens to Ukraine one way or the other.” #ohsen #ohleg

https://t.co/SpdqQKjKmJ
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,703

Updated just now
    71% REPORTED
    Candidate Votes
    J.D. Vance
    218,053 31.3%
    Josh Mandel
    169,416 24.3%
    Matt Dolan
    152,198 21.9%
    Mike Gibbons
    83,383 12.0%
    Jane Timken
    45,740 6.6%
    Mark Pukita
    18,031 2.6%
    Neil Patel
    9,565 1.4%
    Total reported

It looks to me like the more moderate Republicans made the same mistake as the French Left, and failed to agree to coalesce around a single candidate.

Good morning

The sentiment drawn from within the garbled message was one we all agree with. The presentation however was shockingly poor for such a historic moment.
This discussion has been closed.