Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Worrying by-election pointers for Tories ahead of May 5th – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Top ten empires judged by might, scale, impact, romance, prowess, victories, astonishingness, pivotality

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Roman before British, surely.
    That was a close call.

However the sheer scale of the british empire - the biggest ever - edges it for me. Also the global impact of English and industry, springing therefrom
    A slightly better exit from Empire too, although the jury might still be out on that.
    Is 50 years not enough for you?? Most was gone by 1972....
    Brunei and Belize endured till the '80s. And Hong Kong went in 1997.
    Wasn’t our very first true colony Bermuda? It is mentioned by Shakespeare. And we still have it

500 years….
    You’d think they’d have earned full incorporation into the UK by now, as France has done with some of its overseas regions.

The UK.
    England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland…and BERMUDA.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited April 2022

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Top ten empires judged by might, scale, impact, romance, prowess, victories, astonishingness, pivotality

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

That was a close call.

However the sheer scale of the british empire - the biggest ever - edges it for me. Also the global impact of English and industry, springing therefrom
    A slightly better exit from Empire too, although the jury might still be out on that.
    That counts as an Empire? lol..... And Hong Kong was only ever borrowed from China.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

Farooq said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

It is all purely subjective. But wasn't the British empire the first to span the entire globe (the second being the American economic empire, and the third may be the Chinese economic empire)? In addition, the British empire was a vast area ruled by a tiny country, and when the empire ended, it did so mostly through agreements rather than conquests. And the effects of the British Empire are still felt around the world, culturally and politically.

Against that, the British empire lasted only about two centuries (a few decades at peak), whilst the Roman empire lasted ?over double? the length. And the Roman Empire was long enough ago that we can think of it as being 'cool' without being too bothered about the hideousness at its heart.

I'd also probably put the Ottoman Empire above the Roman, for the area ruled, its effects, and how long it lasted.

But as I say, it's all subjective.
    I think you need to look at the extent of the French Empire in the early nineteenth century. From Indonesia to the Americas, it was truly global and possibly a touch earlier than Britain's?
    That's a good point; although wasn't it *very* short-lived? Also, what long-term effects did it have?
    HYUFD is always going on about Canadian data whenever we discuss indyref and he gets off the subject of generations.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Anyhoo, morning all (Moscow Time).

Is there news about casualties on the Moskva, yet?

I've just seen a note that a Turkish ship rescued around 50:

https://www.trtworld.com/turkey/turkish-ship-rescues-over-50-russian-sailors-from-naval-cruiser-moskva-56382?utm_source=other&utm_medium=rss

Those 50 sailors are going to be catching up fast on what has REALLY happened the past 50 days...

How many will claim political asylum?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Mongol empire above the Spanish.... hmm I disagree. What did the Mongols really achieve?
    2nd biggest ever - behind only the British - and transformed China. Is my thinking
    The Macedonions and the Egyptians definitely are above the Incas. I'd suggest above the Portugese and the Mongols too.
    I was feeling a bit “Woke” - so I put the Incas in. Take them out again?

There is an argument for the Nazi empire being in the top ten in terms of the satanic and hypnotic grip it has had on us, ever since - and also its politico-cultural impact - see Ukraine now

An absolutely evil empire, of course, but evil empires can still impress
    The Nazi Empire was very temporary.

The Inca were rolled over by a few Spaniards. However they were a locally fantastic cultural and societal peak, whereas the Mongols clearly weren't.

Your list, your choices.
    Yeah I wouldn’t go MAD and put the Nazis in the top five or anything. That would be morally wrong. They were repulsively evil. The Holocaust ALONE rules out a top 3 position

But number 7 or 8? Arguable
    If I was to define 'empire', then I would not include areas that were ruled for a handful of years as part of what turned out to be temporary occupations.

Here's another one; the Soviet empire? (I see you didn't have the Russian empire on your list.)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Mongol empire above the Spanish.... hmm I disagree. What did the Mongols really achieve?
    2nd biggest ever - behind only the British - and transformed China. Is my thinking
    The Macedonions and the Egyptians definitely are above the Incas. I'd suggest above the Portugese and the Mongols too.

There is an argument for the Nazi empire being in the top ten in terms of the satanic and hypnotic grip it has had on us, ever since - and also its politico-cultural impact - see Ukraine now

Nazis as the best dressed evil empire?
    I don't know. There's a lot to be said for a toga and a military muscle cuirass.
    Looking forward to attending the next pb fancy dress gathering...?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

That was a close call.

Enough for me - yes. Enough for all - not so sure.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

It is all purely subjective. But wasn't the British empire the first to span the entire globe (the second being the American economic empire, and the third may be the Chinese economic empire)? In addition, the British empire was a vast area ruled by a tiny country, and when the empire ended, it did so mostly through agreements rather than conquests. And the effects of the British Empire are still felt around the world, culturally and politically.

Against that, the British empire lasted only about two centuries (a few decades at peak), whilst the Roman empire lasted ?over double? the length. And the Roman Empire was long enough ago that we can think of it as being 'cool' without being too bothered about the hideousness at its heart.

I'd also probably put the Ottoman Empire above the Roman, for the area ruled, its effects, and how long it lasted.

I think you need to look at the extent of the French Empire in the early nineteenth century. From Indonesia to the Americas, it was truly global and possibly a touch earlier than Britain's?
    The Portuguse were world wide before the French. Brazil, West Africa, Angola, Mozambique, India, Indonesia, China and a trading port in Japan.
    Thanks, yes, I briefly mentioned them just now but I'm not quite sure on the Spanish and Portuguese influence in the east, how profound it was. I have half an idea that some Indians have Portuguese names to this day, but I'm really not sure.
    The Portuguese empire was crazily violent. That’s how a small poor country on the windy edge of Iberia seized a quarter of the world

Total aggression and limitless brutality. The Portuguese were the ISIS of their day

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

If it was that good we’d all be speaking French. We don’t. Even where it colonised they’ve abandoned much of the culture - see Indochina

I’d have it in the top 20. Above the Aztec behind the Assyrian
    I was only saying it was global in scale.
    Clearly globality (yeah, that's a word now) was a possibility unlocked by technology because it happened all at once with several different empires of European origin.

I know you're mostly trying to provoke in this whole thread, but it doe seem you're a bit confused. You emphasis scale here, but minimise it there. You're mainly trying to objectify your subjective feelings.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

The sinking of the Moskva is to be welcomed, but I do wonder if we are entering the dangerous phase of the “operation” where Russia starts lashing out wildly to create salvage its humiliation and create chaos.

Against that, they should take Mariupol soon.

Although once they have taken it, the Ukrainians can visit fiery death on them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

The Portuguse were world wide before the French. Brazil, West Africa, Angola, Mozambique, India, Indonesia, China and a trading port in Japan.
    Thanks, yes, I briefly mentioned them just now but I'm not quite sure on the Spanish and Portuguese influence in the east, how profound it was. I have half an idea that some Indians have Portuguese names to this day, but I'm really not sure.
    The Portuguese empire was crazily violent. That’s how a small poor country on the windy edge of Iberia seized a quarter of the world

Total aggression and limitless brutality. The Portuguese were the ISIS of their day
    Which is how I fear Russia will 'rule' over countries they invade or take over. Before anyone accuses me of hyperbole, just look at Chechnya, or the 'independent' areas of the Donbass.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
  • Options
    Actually, the British empire has to be top. Our empire gave the world football. And cricket. ;)

(In some ways this conversation feels a little dirty; like comparing your favourite dictators...)
  • Options
    Disgracefully, nobody has mentioned the NZ Empire which commenced formally in 1901 with control of Niue and the Cook Islands and, with various comings and goings, continues to this day.

The island of Tokelau (population 1500) is currently administrated by Ross Ardern, who happens to be Jacinda’s father.
  • Options
    carnforth said:
    That's fascinating, thanks. Labour not doing as well as I expected, and the Lib Dems better.
  • Options
    1. The Brittas Empire
    2. ...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

If it was that good we’d all be speaking French. We don’t. Even where it colonised they’ve abandoned much of the culture - see Indochina

Clearly globality (yeah, that's a word now) was a possibility unlocked by technology because it happened all at once with several different empires of European origin.

I know you're mostly trying to provoke in this whole thread, but it doe seem you're a bit confused. You emphasis scale here, but minimise it there. You're mainly trying to objectify your subjective feelings.
    I was just trying to stop you all being dull. You in particular. Because you can be quite engaging

That said, my list actually took some thought. Scale is absolutely vital for judging empire, empires are all about conquest. I’d put cultural impact next and nearly as important

The british empire was the biggest ever and the global hegemony of the English language gives it - to my mind - the most cultural impact (with Rome either equal or a close second)

So britain’s primacy is justified. The French empire had scale but so did Spain Portugal China etc etc, and France had much less cultural impact (outside Africa)

Anyway now I must continue my hike over the unfairly maligned Chilterns. I am drowning in the song of skylarks. Wonderful
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    carnforth said:
    Interesting Con>Green shift
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

The Inca were rolled over by a few Spaniards. However they were a locally fantastic cultural and societal peak, whereas the Mongols clearly weren't.

Your list, your choices.
    Yeah I wouldn’t go MAD and put the Nazis in the top five or anything. That would be morally wrong.

Not unless you want to include the French too - and they'd have to be much higher up. Napoleon really did have an Empire.

I wonder too about America in the list. They are I think second in terms of global power projection ever, but they're far from imperialist - although much more so than they claim - for example the Phillipines War.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Just more evil, really. Empires are inherently bad.
    Cept ours. Ours was complex in its moral underpinnings, its motivations, its prosecution, its legacy. An undertaking of light and shade, with consequences too nuanced to be condemned out of hand.
  • Options

carnforth said:
    That's fascinating, thanks. Labour not doing as well as I expected, and the Lib Dems better.
    Would be interesting to see whether there's a break in the shape of that graph before the autumn and since. Labour were doing really rather poorly in the summer and a lot better by the winter.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Cept ours. Ours was complex in its moral underpinnings, its motivations, its prosecution, its legacy. An undertaking of light and shade, with consequences too nuanced to be condemned out of hand.
    Yes, obviously apart from ours.
    Others relentlessly exploited divided or technologically underdeveloped people. We brought the candle of civilisation into the darkness.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

I was just trying to stop you all being dull. You in particular. Because you can be quite engaging

That said, my list actually took some thought. Scale is absolutely vital for judging empire, empires are all about conquest. I’d put cultural impact next and nearly as important

The british empire was the biggest ever and the global hegemony of the English language gives it - to my mind - the most cultural impact (with Rome either equal or a close second)

So britain’s primacy is justified. The French empire had scale but so did Spain Portugal China etc etc, and France had much less cultural impact (outside Africa)

Anyway now I must continue my hike over the unfairly maligned Chilterns. I am drowning in the song of skylarks. Wonderful
    It's nice of you to try to cure my chronic dullness, but better men and women than you have tried and failed and run screaming from the arena.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"Tories set to lose 800 council seats – and Sir Keir Starmer on course to be PM in 2024
    Pollsters Electoral Calculus and Find Out Now forecast five per cent swing from Tories to Labour at local elections"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/04/14/exclusive-tories-set-lose-800-council-seats-sir-keir-starmer/

Isn't there a chance that the PM could lose his seat in an GE on figures like that? Have there been any whispers about him moving to a safer one?
    It's another reason for Boris to depart next year. Losing an 80 seat majority to dreadfully dreary Starmer would be bad enough. Losing his seat too, in a Portillo moment of national rejoicing, would haunt him for decades....
    No British Prime Minister has ever lost his seat at a General Election. Not one. The closest anyone has come are Balfour in 1906 and Macdonald in 1935, who had both been PM a few months before (one for Balfour, six for MacDonald).

For Johnson to lose his seat a la John Howard would be an epochal humiliation that would far dwarf any Portillo moment.
    That is more a factor of how safe their seat is. Major's Huntingdon had a massive majority in 1992 for example but he won a smaller majority than Boris did in 2019 but with Boris' Uxbridge seat having a smaller majority.

As for John Howard he also won 4 general elections before he lost his seat and the election in 2007 and is still the second longest serving Australian PM since WW2
    I didn't know Major stood in Huntingdon in 2019.

To an extent you're right about the safeness of the seats, and that's partly because promising politicians in marginal seats are usually transferred to safer ones so they don't get booted from the House of Commons, which until Johnson made his name as London mayor was the only way of gaining executive power. And, of course, around half of British Prime Ministers have been peers, which skews the figures.

But it would still be a calamitous result for Johnson, especially as he claims to be the man who wins every vote he contests.
    Didn't Johnson lose one of his Oxford student contest. And the first time he stood for Parliament, in N Wales.
    Johnson won the Presidency of the Oxford Union as the SDP backed candidate in the Thatcher years
    I thought that was the second time that he tried. Does anyone know; I confess I can't be bothered to wade through his Wikipedia entry.
    2 accounts here one from Toby Young.

Boris lost on his first attempt when he was the High Tory candidate to a state educated candidate who went on to be an adviser to Nick Clegg.

However he won on his second attempt, this time with the backing of the largely SDP Limehouse group against the Australian son of a multi millionaire

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/15/oxford-union-president-boris-johnson-neil-sherlock

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-s-art-of-war
    Oxford Union elections perhaps best understood as right vs right affairs.
    Wrong v Wrong is more the mark?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Yes, obviously apart from ours.
    Others relentlessly exploited divided or technologically underdeveloped people. We brought the candle of civilisation into the darkness.
    Well said
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Caroline Elkins, who is a Harvard history professor, has just published a book which describes the British Empire has thoroughly steeped in violence. It is mildly controversial.

Her previous book described Britain’s war against against the Mau Mau as a “gulag”, and was her testimony was used in the case that saw Britain pay £20m in compensation to Kenyan victims of colonial atrocities.
  • Options

Disgracefully, nobody has mentioned the NZ Empire which commenced formally in 1901 with control of Niue and the Cook Islands and, with various comings and goings, continues to this day.

The island of Tokelau (population 1500) is currently administrated by Ross Ardern, who happens to be Jacinda’s father.

I've recently read Captain Cook's diaries. Unimaginable that you could sail for months in floating crate and then with just some tens of you take on a whole country. Similar of course to the Spanish in America.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Your list, your choices.
    Yeah I wouldn’t go MAD and put the Nazis in the top five or anything. That would be morally wrong.

Not unless you want to include the French too - and they'd have to be much higher up. Napoleon really did have an Empire.

I wonder too about America in the list. They are I think second in terms of global power projection ever, but they're far from imperialist - although much more so than they claim - for example the Phillipines War.
    America is an empire.

What do you think happened to all those indigenous Indians? Who controls the global trading system?
  • Options
    If Keir does well in local elections he’s on his way to being one of the most successful Labour leaders ever
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

carnforth said:
    It must be possible to do similar historic summaries and see if there's any correlation with more important elections.

What we know from past experience is that local by-elections in the run-up to the main May local elections can give a reasonably good indicator about what might happen

is doing a fair bit of heavy lifting.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Your list, your choices.

America is an empire.

What do you think happened to all those indigenous Indians? Who controls the global trading system?
    America is absolutely an empire

It just happened to expand overland rather than overseas. As the Russian empire did (and they at least admitted theirs was an empire and called the leader a Caesar - or a tsar)

Beyond the USA America has had formal and informal possessions from the Philippines to Puerto Rico to Guam to Samoa to the Caribbean

And with the dollar it has exercised the same trading hegemony the british did

And now as the American empire fades we can begin to see that it had its virtues. Is a world run by China going to be superior? Hmmm

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,476
    edited April 2022
    MattW said:

https://www.trtworld.com/turkey/turkish-ship-rescues-over-50-russian-sailors-from-naval-cruiser-moskva-56382?utm_source=other&utm_medium=rss

PB pedantry: Moscow's ahead of us, timewise, apart from Easter.
  • Options

If Keir does well in local elections he’s on his way to being one of the most successful Labour leaders ever

The list of successful Labour leaders is just
    1.Blair
    isn't it?

I know many would have Atlee there, but the closer you look at the Atlee government the worse it looks.
  • Options
    Speaking of empires, or perhaps imperial nostalgia, I was asked about a year ago by a senior Labour figure what it would take for Britain to “recover some of the power and prestige we had when we were an Empire”.

I did give him an answer, which largely involves confederating with Canada.

Perhaps I should write a header.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    Omnium said:

1.Blair
    isn't it?

I know many would have Atlee there, but the closer you look at the Atlee government the worse it looks.
    It's a very low bar to clear, I am sure we can all agree.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

kinabalu said:

@yougov

Who do Britons want to win the French presidential election?

All Britons: Macron 37% / Le Pen 19%

Con voters: Macron 24% / Le Pen 37%
    Lab voters: Macron 53% / Le Pen 8%

There they are again, that 20%, same people - Trump, Hard Brexit, now LePen. Will also, if asked, be very keen on the idea of decanting refugees to Rwanda. What a horror show. Should be packed off to Rwanda themselves imo.
    Looking at those figures confirms for me why I left the Conservative Party. People who can endorse Le Pen have nothing in common with me. Shows the unfortunate distance and direction the Conservative Party has travelled in its desire to appease and please those who voted for Farage.
    I agree with you completely (you can share the smelling salts).

Macron is an abject, awful, inappropriate, disaster of a quasi-effective President.

He's also the only option on the ballot and needs to win. Anyone backing Le Pen is either ignorant or has very unpleasant politics, or both.
    I’m not really supposed to comment on domestic politics, but the best potential president is not in the second round
  • Options
    Omnium said:

1.Blair
    isn't it?

You should elaborate on your last point.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

It's nice of you to try to cure my chronic dullness, but better men and women than you have tried and failed and run screaming from the arena.
    You flatter yourself. They just agree in the car home from your dinner parties "Remind me never to do that again...."
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272

Speaking of empires, or perhaps imperial nostalgia, I was asked about a year ago by a senior Labour figure what it would take for Britain to “recover some of the power and prestige we had when we were an Empire”.

Why not ?

Sounds an interesting concept.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272
    ping said:

carnforth said:
    Interesting Con>Green shift
    The Greens are the real winners and I expect them to be after the locals.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Egypt missing from this list means it can only be a deliberate attempt to provoke.
    French as well. Napoleon shaped the history of Europe, as did the Sun King
  • Options

Omnium said:

1.Blair
    isn't it?

You should elaborate on your last point.
    It's clearly a big question. I think the best example is how long the UK endured rationing.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

You flatter yourself. They just agree in the car home from your dinner parties "Remind me never to do that again...."
    Some of them don't even make it that far. Sometimes there's just a wet thud as they die face down in their soup.
  • Options

Nick Boles
    @NickBoles
    ·
    4h
    Before I head off for Easter, and switch off Twitter, some Good Friday thoughts about Keir Starmer.

First, the bleeding obvious, he’s not exactly charismatic or exciting 1/

Nick Boles
    @NickBoles
    ·
    4h
    I’d call that a pretty impressive scorecard. He’s not a political wizard. Not an Obama, a Clinton or a Blair. But I reckon he’ll be Prime Minister after the next election and deserve to be. END

https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1514900359902285825

I think that's a pretty fair summary.
    I'll be rooting for him at the next election, though probably not actually voting for his party.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

We should do that and move the joint capital and seat of Government to Toronto (just to annoy everyone). What's left of the Monarchy can be moved to their new official residence complex in Winnipeg and we can get on with things.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

I would like to have seen the Akkadian Empire in there, not because it was really that big but because it was the first.

I would also suggest perhaps the Alexandrian Macedonian Empire for its scale (From Libya to India and the River Oxus in central Asia), the fact it beat the Empire you have at Number 10 and just general coolness.

But of course it didn't outlast its founder.

But otherwise I think the list is pretty good.
  • Options

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

I would like to have seen the Akkadian Empire in there, not because it was really that big but because it was the first.

I would also suggest perhaps the Alexandrian Macedonian Empire for its scale (From Libya to India and the River Oxus in central Asia), the fact it beat the Empire you have at Number 10 and just general coolness.

If we have to stick to 10, I'd relegate the Incas interesting and locally violent though they were, and vote you Akkadians in at 9, with the Johnnie-come-lately Persians staying at 10.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

If we have to stick to 10, I'd relegate the Incas interesting and locally violent though they were, and vote you Akkadians in at 9, with the Johnnie-come-lately Persians staying at 10.
    To add: my justification is that they are responsible for the development of writing which we have to admit has been fairly influential.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Farooq said:

Nick Boles
    @NickBoles
    ·
    4h
    Before I head off for Easter, and switch off Twitter, some Good Friday thoughts about Keir Starmer.

Nick Boles
    @NickBoles
    ·
    4h
    I’d call that a pretty impressive scorecard. He’s not a political wizard. Not an Obama, a Clinton or a Blair. But I reckon he’ll be Prime Minister after the next election and deserve to be. END

I'll be rooting for him at the next election, though probably not actually voting for his party.
    He needs a big idea to run with.

And soon.

Still feels like the Lab lead is very soft.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

To add: my justification is that they are responsible for the development of writing which we have to admit has been fairly influential.
    TBF the Incans and Chinese might differ on what "writing" was.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Nick Boles
    @NickBoles
    ·
    4h

Nick Boles
    @NickBoles
    ·
    4h

And soon.

The Labour lead seems far too solid for my liking.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Have to include the Zulu empire - not only for martial prowess but it lead to one of the best bank holiday weekend films ever - Zulu - and the cultural impact of their music across the world with the Lion Sleeps Tonight……
  • Options

Farooq said:

Nick Boles
    @NickBoles
    ·
    4h

Nick Boles
    @NickBoles
    ·
    4h

And soon.

White heat 2.0
    (Or perhaps 3.0 or 4.0 depending on the tech stack).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

There is/was a very good documentary series on iPlayer about the history of writing.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,661

MattW said:

Those 50 sailors are going to be catching up fast on what has REALLY happened the past 50 days...

How many will claim political asylum?
    Don't they have to be interned until the end of the war under the Geneva Conventions, having been rescued by a non-belligerent country?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

There is/was a very good documentary series on iPlayer about the history of writing.
    Do you recall any further details? Please.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANZUK
  • Options

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

It was very interesting how it showed the way in which Egyptian hieroglyphics and Chinese writing developed the same way amongst other things. So symbols directly representing something such as wheat or water could be combined with another symbol to make another word because if you added the sounds together of the two symbol words they were the same as the on other word.

It should still be there in the documentaries: history section.
  • Options
    boulay said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Have to include the Zulu empire - not only for martial prowess but it lead to one of the best bank holiday weekend films ever - Zulu - and the cultural impact of their music across the world with the Lion Sleeps Tonight……
    Has anyone mentioned the Hunnic? Short duration but immense impact on Roman and Byzantine Europe.
  • Options
    Re the Rwandan thing, has this been discussed? Pics of the tourist hostel HMG have presumably leased in a tearing hurry.

I'm not entirely sure it will satisfy some, who will see it as pampering the illegals and refugees. And I'm not entirely sure that it can handle 30K people a year.

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1514569538024751113
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/inside-rwanda-centre-asylum-seekers-uk-channel-migrants-1575640?ito=social_itw_theipaper&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1649936491
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

It was very interesting how it showed the way in which Egyptian hieroglyphics and Chinese writing developed the same way amongst other things. So symbols directly representing something such as wheat or water could be combined with another symbol to make another word because if you added the sounds together of the two symbol words they were the same as the on other word.

One of my more interesting forays in Lebanon was to the museum at Biblos.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

True. There was certainly parallel development. But the earliest writing in Mesopotamia is about 2k years earlier than the earliest Chinese writing found (so far).

The Incans are way later, AIUI.
  • Options
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Likewise, cuneiform starts with pictograms and becomes logographic over ~1000 years.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

I don't know. There's a lot to be said for a toga and a military muscle cuirass.

On togas, has anyone tried ironing a real toga (as opposed to a bedsheet over a teeshirt).

Very roughly a 5m diameter semi-circle of cloth.

Sort of thing you'd wrap BJ up in to stop him yammering.

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

That was a close call.

Wasn’t our very first true colony Bermuda? It is mentioned by Shakespeare. And we still have it

500 years….
    You’d think they’d have earned full incorporation into the UK by now, as France has done with some of its overseas regions.

The UK.
    England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland…and BERMUDA.
    I think there's a lot to be said for that, but on a wider basis. Representation in the Commons for Falkands, Ascension, Bermuda. Perhaps even IOM and the others. And Eel Pie Island.

There are some quite serious reasons to do it - protection of marine environments etc.

I wonder whether France has a 6th Republic coming down the track in the next 20 years.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,476
    edited April 2022
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

The Secret History of Writing?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000mtml

Not on iplayer but try this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tguoS1nQ4Kw
  • Options
    edited April 2022

MattW said:

I meant tomorrow morning.

First like a temporal paradox.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Found the page but the documentary itself is no longer available. One of the reasons, I suspect, that we downgrade African history is that it was rarely, if ever, written down.
    It's also interesting, and one of these days I'll find out a bit more, I hope, to compare the scripts used in SE Asia. Especially given the strong Chinese influence there.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

On togas, has anyone tried ironing a real toga (as opposed to a bedsheet over a teeshirt).

Very roughly a 5m diameter semi-circle of cloth.

Sort of thing you'd wrap BJ up in to stop him yammering.
    [snip]

One just leaves it to one's slaves. As one does the actual putting it on. Instructional film:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=how+to+wear+a+toga#kpvalbx=_SYhZYtfGAquDhbIPobi7wA422
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

I meant tomorrow morning.

First like a temporal paradox.
    I'm just back from the day after tomorrow. Lots of eggs. You will like it there.
  • Options

boulay said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Found the page but the documentary itself is no longer available. One of the reasons, I suspect, that we downgrade African history is that it was rarely, if ever, written down.
    It's also interesting, and one of thee days I'll find out a bit more, I hope, to compare the scripts used in SE Asia. Especially given the strong Chinese influence there.
    Again there is/was a great BBC4 doc on iPlayer called Africa’s great civilisations. Very balanced about Africa’s own role in the slave trade but incredibly interesting on Ethiopia, Great Zimbabwe, Benin etc. I never knew that Swahili was a composite language of Arabic and local East African languages that developed through trading.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Re the Rwandan thing, has this been discussed? Pics of the tourist hostel HMG have presumably leased in a tearing hurry.

I'm not entirely sure it will satisfy some, who will see it as pampering the illegals and refugees. And I'm not entirely sure that it can handle 30K people a year.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/inside-rwanda-centre-asylum-seekers-uk-channel-migrants-1575640?ito=social_itw_theipaper&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1649936491

Red Cross policy wonk:

Jon Featonby
    @jonfeatonby

Replying to
    @sundersays

What I’ve only just twigged about the UK plan is that it’s using inadmissibility powers, not the offshoring powers in the bill. They will judge that someone could & should have claimed asylum elsewhere. Then they deem that claim inadmissible - not the responsibility of the UK.

https://twitter.com/jonfeatonby/status/1514682901081821195

===

So, if I have understood then what happens to them after they touch down in Rwanda is Kegame's issue not UK's.
  • Options

boulay said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Much obliged
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353
    edited April 2022
    Have we discussed this one? It's from last week, butimpressively chunky (sample of 12000 in the relevant wards) and specifically about the locals:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/tories-facing-election-wipeout-with-devastating-800-seat-loss-that-leads-starmer-to-no10/ar-AAWfEvh?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=c4f07da05b4a4fb9844c11a03cc94289
  • Options
    mwadams said:

We should do that and move the joint capital and seat of Government to Toronto (just to annoy everyone). What's left of the Monarchy can be moved to their new official residence complex in Winnipeg and we can get on with things.
    MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

CANZUK lacks an overriding strategic rationale and is geographically problematic.

Anglo-Canada alone would be the third largest country in the world (after Russia and China), and would be 3rd on military spending and could probably close in on 3rd for GDP too.
  • Options

mwadams said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

CANZUK lacks an overriding strategic rationale and is geographically problematic.

Anglo-Canada alone would be the third largest country in the world (after Russia and China), and would be 3rd on military spending and could probably close in on 3rd for GDP too.
    We’d have stop the blighters with the French language nonsense though!
  • Options
    boulay said:

mwadams said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

Part of the “deal” would be that Britain becomes more Canadian. We’d probably want to brush up on our French.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

I think CAUK is better, as the Kiwis have sold their country to China to the extent that the Americans don't share much intelligence with them any more.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

It's also interesting, and one of thee days I'll find out a bit more, I hope, to compare the scripts used in SE Asia. Especially given the strong Chinese influence there.
    Again there is/was a great BBC4 doc on iPlayer called Africa’s great civilisations. Very balanced about Africa’s own role in the slave trade but incredibly interesting on Ethiopia, Great Zimbabwe, Benin etc. I never knew that Swahili was a composite language of Arabic and local East African languages that developed through trading.
    There were, a while ago, a couple of WEA Zoom courses on the subject. Can't recommend one of them, but there was a lot about the Arab/East African 'interaction'.
    We hear a lot about slavery from West Africa, mainly because it was 'us' but very little about the East Africa trade.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,375

mwadams said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

How about a confederation consisting of all the countries that drive on the left?
  • Options

boulay said:

mwadams said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

Part of the “deal” would be that Britain becomes more Canadian. We’d probably want to brush up on our French.
    At least we would do better in the Winter Olympics.
  • Options

boulay said:

mwadams said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

And Gaelic. Still very much part of Canadian culture on the eastern side.
  • Options
    boulay said:

boulay said:

mwadams said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

At least we would do better in the Winter Olympics.
    Ha, didn’t think of that.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

@yougov

There they are again, that 20%, same people - Trump, Hard Brexit, now LePen. Will also, if asked, be very keen on the idea of decanting refugees to Rwanda. What a horror show. Should be packed off to Rwanda themselves imo.
    Looking at those figures confirms for me why I left the Conservative Party. People who can endorse Le Pen have nothing in common with me. Shows the unfortunate distance and direction the Conservative Party has travelled in its desire to appease and please those who voted for Farage.

Macron is an abject, awful, inappropriate, disaster of a quasi-effective President.

He's also the only option on the ballot and needs to win. Anyone backing Le Pen is either ignorant or has very unpleasant politics, or both.
    Although I believe you once also voted for Farage, in some respects Le Pen is now more the French Farage than the French Nick Griffin, with economic policies closer to Labour than the Tories
    For the umpteenth time I never voted for Farage.

I cast a protest vote to get rid of a failed Prime Minister and to expel Farage from the European Parliament.

I have never and would never cast a vote to get Farage into Parliament, I voted to get him out of it.
    Smelling salts no longer needed. You voted for Farage. Your excuses are no doubt similar to those people in France who will use similar excuses for reasons to vote Le Pen. There are no excuses that excuse voting for fascists IMO.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

boulay said:

mwadams said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

This is not one of your best & brightest, @Gardenwalker

The West of Canada resents the dominance of Ontario & Quebec, who almost always supply the Prime Minister.

Quebec resents Anglophone Canada.

Anglophone Canada resents the special privileges of Quebec. The Francophones in New Brunswick/Nouveau-Brunswick are terrified that Quebec will leave.

Prince Edward Island resents being forgotten about. Newfoundland resents losing its status as an independent country and joining the Confederation in the 1949 referendum.

The tiny Maritimes resent Quebec and Ontario and the West of Canada.

And the First Nations resent the Canadian genocide.

And everyone in Canada resents their wealthy Braggadocio of a neighbour to the South ... until they leave Canada and settle in greater LA or NYC or Chicago.

Canada is more likely to fall to pieces than the YooKay.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

boulay said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

1. British
    2. Roman
    3. Ottoman
    4. Mongol
    5. American
    6. Chinese
    7. Portuguese
    8. Spanish
    9. Inca
    10. Persian

Much obliged
    And I had trouble finding the Byblos Museum because it's actually called Alphabet Museum:

http://www.jbail-byblos.gov.lb/baldati/project?la=en&id=19
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

@yougov

Although I believe you once also voted for Farage, in some respects Le Pen is now more the French Farage than the French Nick Griffin, with economic policies closer to Labour than the Tories
    For the umpteenth time I never voted for Farage.

I cast a protest vote to get rid of a failed Prime Minister and to expel Farage from the European Parliament.

I have never and would never cast a vote to get Farage into Parliament, I voted to get him out of it.
    Smelling salts no longer needed. You voted for Farage. Your excuses are no doubt similar to those people in France who will use similar excuses for reasons to vote Le Pen. There are no excuses that excuse voting for fascists IMO.
    By accusing Farage of being a fascist you degrade your whole argument. But then when it comes to the EU you never had much of an argument anyway.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    Leon said:

500 years….

Ireland?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

500 years….

Ireland?
    Cymru
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

500 years….

Ireland?
    Cymru
    Northumbria, Rheged and Kernyw were even earlier.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

500 years….

Ireland?
    Cymru
    Actually I think Bernicia included parts of what is now Scotland
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    TimT said:

Oryx's verified Russian losses of major equipment only 11 short of 3000 ...

111 by my count. Appropriately, a Nelson?
    Correct, I misread. Now 101...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Red Cross policy wonk:

Jon Featonby
    @jonfeatonby

Replying to
    @sundersays

What I’ve only just twigged about the UK plan is that it’s using inadmissibility powers, not the offshoring powers in the bill. They will judge that someone could & should have claimed asylum elsewhere. Then they deem that claim inadmissible - not the responsibility of the UK.

===

So, if I have understood then what happens to them after they touch down in Rwanda is Kegame's issue not UK's.
    Do the Rwandans understand that? They're not stupid, but did HMG come clean?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

boulay said:

mwadams said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

And become more apologetic.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Off topic...

I've been hankering after getting a free-standing fire pit. In a local garden centre today they had an offer where if you bought one you got a free case of a dozen bottles of beer*. So it had to be done.

Now I need to get wood. (Stop sniggering at the back.)

*Sam Smith's Organic Lager
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Cross policy wonk:

Jon Featonby
    @jonfeatonby

Replying to
    @sundersays

===

Who knows. I think I read somewhere that Rwanda is desperate for young males as...erm, a lot of them leave.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Cross policy wonk:

Jon Featonby
    @jonfeatonby

Replying to
    @sundersays

===

I should think it's long odds that they didn't!
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,517
    Most, let me repeat, most, of America's current territory was purchased.

Louisiana purchase (roughly the middle third of the contiguous United States): from France.
    Florida: from Spain
    Mexican Secession (Texas, most of the southwest, California): from Mexico (The United States paid Mexico after defeating Mexico in the Mexican-American War.)
    Gadsden purchase (southern Arizona and a bit of New Mexico): from Mexico
    Alaska: from imperial Russia

It is also true that some of those purchases were made with the threat of force, implicitly or explicitly, as well as a money offer.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Cross policy wonk:

Jon Featonby
    @jonfeatonby

Replying to
    @sundersays

===

Who knows. I think I read somewhere that Rwanda is desperate for young males as...erm, a lot of them leave.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Cross policy wonk:

Jon Featonby
    @jonfeatonby

Replying to
    @sundersays

===

I should think it's long odds that they didn't!
    The original tweet is part of an interesting discussio:

• Options

boulay said:

mwadams said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Why not ?

CANZUK?

This is not one of your best & brightest, @Gardenwalker

The West of Canada resents the dominance of Ontario & Quebec, who almost always supply the Prime Minister.

Quebec resents Anglophone Canada.

Anglophone Canada resents the special privileges of Quebec. The Francophones in New Brunswick/Nouveau-Brunswick are terrified that Quebec will leave.

Prince Edward Island resents being forgotten about. Newfoundland resents losing its status as an independent country and joining the Confederation in the 1949 referendum.

The tiny Maritimes resent Quebec and Ontario and the West of Canada.

And the First Nations resent the Canadian genocide.

And everyone in Canada resents their wealthy Braggadocio of a neighbour to the South ... until they leave Canada and settle in greater LA or NYC or Chicago.

Canada is more likely to fall to pieces than the YooKay.
    Excellent dental health though. It's usual for a Canadian child to be fitted with braces and this pays dividends with straight teeth in later life. And that's not all. Daily flossing is not the exception in Canada, it's the rule.
This discussion has been closed.