Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak’s favourability drops a colossal 26% in a month – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited April 2022 in General
imageSunak’s favourability drops a colossal 26% in a month – politicalbetting.com

A giant 26 percentage point drop in net favourability for Rishi Sunak makes him less favourable than Boris Johnson, according to the latest April edition of Savanta ComRes’ political tracker. 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

stodge said:

I’m sure he will. I think we should listen to Mike Smithson whose betting Boris fights the next election. I don’t even think we should feel so complacent tat despite all this, Boris loses his majority at the election.

I’ve betted £50 Boris leaves this year. Kinabalu talked me into it in January. Boris position not only not in intensive care, it’s not even in hospital getting treatment 😕

I am up in God’s Own Country now on Easter Break - surrounded by 4 Conservatives adamant Boris should not resign as he is leading the West in war against Putin - they think he is a Great War leader - Daily Mail type anger towards anyone calling for him to resign, such as Libdem leader and anyone saying they will vote Libdems 🤐

- But the French are having full scale election, could change entire government?
    - Then the French are stupid for not cancelling it, besides Macron is not leading the West like Boris.
    - A Yorkshire MP reckons Lawbreakers can’t be lawmakers.
    - He’s now deprived his constituents of much needed money, so he ain’t so bright at politics. Nothing from West Yorkshire speaks for true Yorkshire.

🤷‍♀️

My mum reckons Sunak must resign, for being a rubbish chancellor and a traitor toBoris to stir all this up in first place.

I’m going on a nice long walk tomorrow, nothing as exciting as Blanche but I might post some pictures too.

I well remember the vitriol Charles Kennedy endured for questioning the British military involvement in Iraq from the Mail and others comparing him to Neville Chamberlain and the like.

The strange thing is, there isn't a single British soldier (we assume) involved in this conflict yet questioning any aspect of that seems to be as great a treason as if our troops were fighting in Lukhansk.

In November 1990, we had British troops deploying for combat against a dreadful aggression by one sovereign country on another yet we still had time to depose a three-time election winning Prime Minister just as we removed Prime Ministers in both World Wars.

The notion we can't get rid of Boris Johnson "because there is a war on" is ridiculous.
    Too right. I’m standing my ground. Lazy liar couldn’t lead the West, his own country, himself out of a wet paper bag.

But MexicanPete is right, the surge in support for Boris is real and bizarre!
    :lol:image
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    No impact at all - quite the reverse.

We are told by people here, there and everywhere everyone loves the Prime Minister, anyone who doesn't is a traitor and the Conservatives will gain hundreds of seats at the local elections on a wave of patriotic fervour.
  • Options
    stodge said:

We are told by people here, there and everywhere everyone loves the Prime Minister, anyone who doesn't is a traitor and the Conservatives will gain hundreds of seats at the local elections on a wave of patriotic fervour.

Yep. People like being lied to.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893
    I'd ask that Leon does not expand on his intensely relaxing professional "breakthrough".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    stodge said:

They will lose seats, the question is how many.

Major's Tories lost over 500 seats at the equivalent stage of the cycle in the 1994 locals so Boris will at least be aiming to avoid that heavy a loss.

If it is that bad then his position will be difficult. Sunak's position also hanging by a thread. The likely replacement would have to be someone dull but a safe pair of hands eg Ben Wallace
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Just not Vlad's year is it...

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    24m
    Thursday’s FINANCIAL TIMES: “Russian menace edges Finland and Sweden close to Nato entry” #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    If Rishi was an NFT

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    Eabhal said:

I'd ask that Leon does not expand on his intensely relaxing professional "breakthrough".

I am happy to oblige! I'm not allowed to say anyway, so you're fine
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    24m
    Thursday’s FINANCIAL TIMES: “Russian menace edges Finland and Sweden close to Nato entry” #TomorrowsPapersToday

Have you ever fucked up so badly that you made Sweden and Finland joint NATO?
    https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1514209058483585026
  • Options

If Rishi was an NFT

One of the multiple ramifications of Dall-e 2 is its potential to destroy the market for many NFTs
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

stodge said:

I’m sure he will. I think we should listen to Mike Smithson whose betting Boris fights the next election. I don’t even think we should feel so complacent tat despite all this, Boris loses his majority at the election.

I’ve betted £50 Boris leaves this year. Kinabalu talked me into it in January. Boris position not only not in intensive care, it’s not even in hospital getting treatment 😕

I am up in God’s Own Country now on Easter Break - surrounded by 4 Conservatives adamant Boris should not resign as he is leading the West in war against Putin - they think he is a Great War leader - Daily Mail type anger towards anyone calling for him to resign, such as Libdem leader and anyone saying they will vote Libdems 🤐

- But the French are having full scale election, could change entire government?
    - Then the French are stupid for not cancelling it, besides Macron is not leading the West like Boris.
    - He’s now deprived his constituents of much needed money, so he ain’t so bright at politics. Nothing from West Yorkshire speaks for true Yorkshire.

🤷‍♀️

My mum reckons Sunak must resign, for being a rubbish chancellor and a traitor toBoris to stir all this up in first place.

I’m going on a nice long walk tomorrow, nothing as exciting as Blanche but I might post some pictures too.

I well remember the vitriol Charles Kennedy endured for questioning the British military involvement in Iraq from the Mail and others comparing him to Neville Chamberlain and the like.

The strange thing is, there isn't a single British soldier (we assume) involved in this conflict yet questioning any aspect of that seems to be as great a treason as if our troops were fighting in Lukhansk.

In November 1990, we had British troops deploying for combat against a dreadful aggression by one sovereign country on another yet we still had time to depose a three-time election winning Prime Minister just as we removed Prime Ministers in both World Wars.

The notion we can't get rid of Boris Johnson "because there is a war on" is ridiculous.
    Too right. I’m standing my ground. Lazy liar couldn’t lead the West, his own country, himself out of a wet paper bag.

He's doing his "Old Steptoe" impersonation.
  • Options
    This point from @JoshuaRozenberg on the position the government’s law officers are now is v important. https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1514340574261882880/photo/1
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Tine for comparing Putin's murderous blunder with other great military and strategic disasters. My opening offering is France initiating the Franco Prussian War.
  • Options
    The response of the Prime Minister to @DXWQC’s resignation includes - of course - a series of lies.

❌Crime has not been cut

❌Victims are waiting longer than ever for justice

❌The court backlog is at a record high and growing

❌The government is refusing to fund legal aid https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1514332815478906890
  • Options
    🔴 Priti Patel and other law officers have been advised not to publicly support Boris Johnson over his fine for breaching Covid rules at a birthday party in Downing Street, even though they continue to back him as Prime Minister https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/13/priti-patel-law-officers-advised-not-publicly-support-boris/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1649881861
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104
    Relaxing with a hefeweizen in the Black Forest after taking the Eurostar to Paris then a fantastically comfy ICE train that took us to Strasbourg at almost 200mph. Bleak contrast between crossing from Britain to France (hour long queue at St Pancras to get passport stamped and documents checked) and crossing from France to Germany (simply drove across the Reine). It's much warmer here too, stuff in the shops is cheaper and their PM isn't a crook. Britain is just a bit shit isn't it.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,219
    edited April 2022

Relaxing with a hefeweizen in the Black Forest after taking the Eurostar to Paris then a fantastically comfy ICE train that took us to Strasbourg at almost 200mph. Bleak contrast between crossing from Britain to France (hour long queue at St Pancras to get passport stamped and documents checked) and crossing from France to Germany (simply drove across the Reine). It's much warmer here too, stuff in the shops is cheaper and their PM isn't a crook. Britain is just a bit shit isn't it.

You had your passport stamped? I didn’t..

Edit - Oops! Just checked and I did! But I only had to queue for five minutes in Girona

Edit 2 - and I’m delighted to have stamps in my passport again
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:

This point from @JoshuaRozenberg on the position the government’s law officers are now is v important. https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1514340574261882880/photo/1

Cracking letter, even if he is nouveau riche *and* Jewish

Rozenberg patently scraping PB, mind, and obv read my extremely percipient point this morning that Braverman is keeping very quiet.
  • Options

Tine for comparing Putin's murderous blunder with other great military and strategic disasters. My opening offering is France initiating the Franco Prussian War.

Having now watched all of "1864" on Netflix, I'd say a better comparison is the unprovoked Danish invasion of Prussia, in that year

The relative size of the combatants aside, the parallels are spooky. Both driven by some weird upsurge in mystical Nationalism and a passionate contempt for the intended enemy. Both utterly misguided, and handicapped by basic military errors from the off

1864 ended in total disaster for Denmark; let us hope Putin tastes the same bitter cup of defeat
  • Options

You might have problems on the way out then, be careful.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

What did they check at St. Pancras. I am pondering a trip.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Covid passport. And actual passport.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Major's Tories lost over 500 seats at the equivalent stage of the cycle in the 1994 locals so Boris will at least be aiming to avoid that heavy a loss.

If it is that bad then his position will be difficult. Sunak's position also hanging by a thread. The likely replacement would have to be someone dull but a safe pair of hands eg Ben Wallace
    Its still astonishing that you will not admit and accept that (a) they have lied and (b) honour and basic political decency demands they resign.

May would have resigned.
    Cameron would have resigned.
    Major would have resigned.
    Thatcher would have resigned.

You - personally - are enabling the debasement of our entire political system. And are so brazen you won't even face up to your complicity.
  • Options
    Liverpool shitting the bed here.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Michael Fabricant looks like Boris Johnson doing a Jimmy Savile impersonation.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,151

stodge said:

🤷‍♀️

He's doing his "Old Steptoe" impersonation.
    Gorgeous!
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/13/stopped-wife-opening-mutilated-daughters-coffin-protect-even

"I stopped my wife from opening mutilated daughter’s coffin to protect her from even more grief

“She was shot at point blank range. Almost half of her head was missing,” Mr Dereko, 41, told The Telegraph.

The police told the Derekos that Karina had been killed by “violent death”. Yet because the story was “so horrific”, the authorities withheld information from them, although they were informed that she had been tortured.

They also advised Mrs Dereko against viewing images of her daughter’s remains.

“We think it could be possible that she was raped,” Mr Dereko added.

“We have not seen the lower part of her body, just the upper part, but what we have seen at the top, we can only imagine what can be on the rest of her body.”

Reality check as to what we are dealing with here
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,978
    The Ukrainians are officially saying that the Russian cruiser Moskva is on fire.

Apparently they're trolling by saying perhaps some of the sailors were smoking...

Also that Ukraine are launching a rescue attempt. If true, they must be expecting the ship to go down.

(The Moskva is the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet.)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

If Rishi was an NFT

There's always been folk with more money than sense...
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,219
    edited April 2022

You might have problems on the way out then, be careful.
    Sorry, got that wrong and have edited my comment to correct
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

Edit - Oops! Just checked and I did! But I only had to queue for five minutes in Girona

Edit 2 - and I’m delighted to have stamps in my passport again
    I didn't get mine stamped in and out of Albania, obviously they don't care if I overstay my 3 months.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Not a surprise to see it kicking off in Madrid.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

TOPPING said:

Thx
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    Next Tory leader

Truss 6.2 / 6.8
    Tugendhat 9 / 10
    Hunt 9.8 / 10.5
    Wallace 9.4 / 12.5
    Mordaunt 12 / 15.5
    Sunak 13.5 / 15.5

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234
  • Options

I nominate the Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia in1914:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_campaign

Has a number of interesting parallels with Putins campaign, though hopefully not precipitating a World War.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    24m

In the long run (post Putin) Russia may be glad of it. Everyone is worried by Putin as he's proving so unpredictable, but Sweden and Finland are by no means as intensely anti-Russian as Poland and the Baltic States, for historical reasons. We tend to think of the Winter War making Finland a traditional enemy, but after Finland allied with Germany in WW2 it was followed by a relatively amicable peace settlement. Sweden is just classically neutral in power politics terms, while totally aligned with the West culturally.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

Having now watched all of "1864" on Netflix, I'd say a better comparison is the unprovoked Danish invasion of Prussia
    Eh?

The new King, Christian IX, felt compelled to sign the draft constitution on 18 November 1863, expressing grave concern. In doing so, the king violated the London Protocol of 1852 and gave the Prussian Prime Minister Otto von Bismarck a justification for war. This action caused outrage among the duchies' German population and a resolution was passed by the German Confederation at the initiative of Bismarck, calling for the occupation of Holstein by Confederate forces.

The Danish government abandoned Holstein and pulled the Danish Army back to the border between Schleswig and Holstein. Most of it fortified itself behind the Danevirke...On 24 December 1863, Saxon and Hanoverian troops marched into Holstein on behalf of the Confederation... On 14 January 1864, Austria and Prussia declared to take action against Denmark without regard to decisions of the German Confederation... Prussian and Austrian troops crossed into Schleswig on 1 February 1864 against the resistance of the Federal Assembly of the German Confederation

• Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Thx
    Checking of Covid passport was *extremely* cursory, it must be said. The queuing was tedious in the extreme, though. We really should have joined Schengen.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    IshmaelZ said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/13/stopped-wife-opening-mutilated-daughters-coffin-protect-even

"I stopped my wife from opening mutilated daughter’s coffin to protect her from even more grief

“She was shot at point blank range. Almost half of her head was missing,” Mr Dereko, 41, told The Telegraph.

The police told the Derekos that Karina had been killed by “violent death”. Yet because the story was “so horrific”, the authorities withheld information from them, although they were informed that she had been tortured.

“We have not seen the lower part of her body, just the upper part, but what we have seen at the top, we can only imagine what can be on the rest of her body.”

Animals, horrid horrid Animals,

We must give Ukraine what ever they what and need to defend themselves.
  • Options

Leon said:

Having now watched all of "1864" on Netflix, I'd say a better comparison is the unprovoked Danish invasion of Prussia
    Eh?

The new King, Christian IX, felt compelled to sign the draft constitution on 18 November 1863, expressing grave concern. In doing so, the king violated the London Protocol of 1852 and gave the Prussian Prime Minister Otto von Bismarck a justification for war. This action caused outrage among the duchies' German population and a resolution was passed by the German Confederation at the initiative of Bismarck, calling for the occupation of Holstein by Confederate forces.

The Danish government abandoned Holstein and pulled the Danish Army back to the border between Schleswig and Holstein. Most of it fortified itself behind the Danevirke...On 24 December 1863, Saxon and Hanoverian troops marched into Holstein on behalf of the Confederation... On 14 January 1864, Austria and Prussia declared to take action against Denmark without regard to decisions of the German Confederation... Prussian and Austrian troops crossed into Schleswig on 1 February 1864 against the resistance of the Federal Assembly of the German Confederation

lol

Have I got this wrong? 1864 presents it completely differently: as a mad Danish act of aggression

I confess I have not delved deeper into the history, apart from remembering that famous Palmerston quote (used in the TV drama, and perhaps of relevance here):

"Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business – the Prince Consort, who is dead – a German professor, who has gone mad – and I, who have forgotten all about it"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Its still astonishing that you will not admit and accept that (a) they have lied and (b) honour and basic political decency demands they resign.

May would have resigned.

You - personally - are enabling the debasement of our entire political system. And are so brazen you won't even face up to your complicity.
    Johnson has driven a coach and horses through political etiquette. My question is why are good honest serfs revering this entitled, feckless fool?

FPT

@MoonRabbit sorry no lasting Falklands Factor for Johnson in Ukraine.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    Anyone know why covid first vaccinations have increased significantly in the last few weeks ?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885

The Ukrainians are officially saying that the Russian cruiser Moskva is on fire.

Apparently they're trolling by saying perhaps some of the sailors were smoking...

Also that Ukraine are launching a rescue attempt. If true, they must be expecting the ship to go down.

They claim it was hit by two of their own Neptune missiles.

Do we believe that, or is that just a cover for something else...?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,790
    Football needs to adopt the rugby union rule on players moaning to refs . Sick of the constant moaning and harassing of referees. Atletico Madrid are a disgrace.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Eh?

lol

Have I got this wrong? 1864 presents it completely differently: as a mad Danish act of aggression

I confess I have not delved deeper into the history, apart from remembering that famous Palmerston quote (used in the TV drama, and perhaps of relevance here):

"Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business – the Prince Consort, who is dead – a German professor, who has gone mad – and I, who have forgotten all about it"
    It was solved in 1920. After a plebiscite, Denmark gained the northern, majority Danish part of Schleswig.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176

Anyone know why covid first vaccinations have increased significantly in the last few weeks ?

5 to 11 year olds I suspect.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Why the Dems are going to get smashed in the Autumn, exhibit A

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1514330469973778435

This is literally a worse gross Approval rating than Trump in 2018 amongst 18-34 year olds!!! (slightly better Net score).
  • Options

The Saver is a substantial warship, 12,500 Tones about twice our type 45 Destroyers and heavily armed, she is old but finished a long refit in 2020 so is up to date in most respects, I do hope this report is accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Moskva

The missile the Ukrainians say hit it, the 'Neptune missile' is brand new, entering service last year, I would have thought any they did have would have been used up by now, perhaps they have been able to make more, or perhaps they have given the blue prints to somebody else (UK?) to make them? or perhaps it was a different missile used (Harpoon?) but by agreement the Ukrainians will clame it was there own missiles so as to not 'escalate'
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Yes, there were lots of them when I took someone for their 4th jab the other day.

Disappointingly the main centre was not splitting the paranoid 80+ year olds from the coughing 5 year olds, and the queue was very long despite us having a booked time.

We gave up and went to a small pharmacy, which was much better.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Football needs to adopt the rugby union rule on players moaning to refs . Sick of the constant moaning and harassing of referees. Atletico Madrid are a disgrace.

Football generally hates to take anything from rugby. The response of ex players etc is always scornfull. Like it’s saying rugby is somehow better.
    I’ve seen it suggested that if they tried to ref football in the same way with respect to not talking back to the ref, then sides would run out of players left on the pitch. I disagree. I think they would learn pretty damn fast.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

They are not animals. Only humans have the capability to act with such depravity.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

Let's hope the fuckers who did this end up at the Hague.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    24m

In the long run (post Putin) Russia may be glad of it. Everyone is worried by Putin as he's proving so unpredictable, but Sweden and Finland are by no means as intensely anti-Russian as Poland and the Baltic States, for historical reasons. We tend to think of the Winter War making Finland a traditional enemy, but after Finland allied with Germany in WW2 it was followed by a relatively amicable peace settlement. Sweden is just classically neutral in power politics terms, while totally aligned with the West culturally.
    Huge reparations to Russia as well as the loss of Karelia. Reparations paid in full and on time. A large part involved the delivery of icebreakers, which boosted shipbuilding, latterly an industry of importance.
    'Amicable' is not the right word. The Finns have been living on tenterhooks vis a vis Russia in the post WW2 era, and their foreign relations and policy have been constrained with reference to their overbearing neighbour - cf "Finlandisation" (which Macron proposed to Russia for Ukraine) and the Kekkonen line in foreign policy (= do nothing to upset the bear).
  • Options

Yes, there were lots of them when I took someone for their 4th jab the other day.

Disappointingly the main centre was not splitting the paranoid 80+ year olds from the coughing 5 year olds, and the queue was very long despite us having a booked time.

My eighty something aunt caught BA.2 getting her 4th dose in similar circumstances in Warrington. Fortunately a minor dose.
  • Options
    Sweden has decided to join Nato, according to reports, with Finland likely to follow “within weeks”, in a sign of how badly Russia’s attempts to counter the alliance’s influence in Europe has backfired.

Telegraph

• Options

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

They are not animals. Only humans have the capability to act with such depravity.
    That girl was 16

The Russian army is an obscenity with nukes
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    The Russian foreign ministry is doubling down on the anti-British rhetoric:

💬#Zakharova: London successfully exports its colonial methods. The methods of suppressing the Donbass were obviously taught by British instructors and political mentors.

❓We wonder if the Ukrainians understand that London uses them as a typical colonial cannon fodder?

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1514270145933463554
  • Options
    Alistair said:

This is literally a worse gross Approval rating than Trump in 2018 amongst 18-34 year olds!!! (slightly better Net score).

interesting, his best age demographic is 65+ with 48 % approve and 46 % Disapprove.
  • Options

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chimps are vicious.

If you gave one a gun...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2022
    RobD said:

If Rishi was an NFT

Maybe he should look into tulips?
    What is lost in this is that the original purchase was in ETH. Although worth millions at the time he bought it, he will have more than likely have bought his ETH for pennies back in the day. So paying 1630ETH in todays month might be millions, but there are a load of people who own 100,000s of ETH, so its a rounding error on their portoflio. Also, they have already cashed out more money than they need for their rest of the lives, the rest is just play money.

Its the people buying ETH to buy NFTs now that are going to lose their shirts.

Edit - The guy who bought it also runs a blockchain company, which gets crowbarred into loads of articles about this. I suspect its as much advertising / promotion as anything else.
  • Options
    Let historians record Lord Wolfson.

At last a man of honour within the Tory 'Trump' party.

He is our Liz Cheney.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

Let's hope the fuckers who did this end up at the Hague.

A bullet in the back of the head would suit. Sometimes the only possible response is public vengeance.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Foxy said:

If Rishi was an NFT

What I want to know is why am I unable to find and make friends with those people, it would make my life much easier.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The interesting ones to me are:

College degree
    Approve Yes 52% No 42%

No college degree
    Approve Yes 20% No 67%

Hispanic
    Approve Yes 26% No 54%

Which suggests the Dems have problems anywhere working class.
  • Options

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

Untrue, without undermining the actual point here.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Football generally hates to take anything from rugby. The response of ex players etc is always scornfull. Like it’s saying rugby is somehow better.
    I’ve seen it suggested that if they tried to ref football in the same way with respect to not talking back to the ref, then sides would run out of players left on the pitch. I disagree. I think they would learn pretty damn fast.
    There are some procedures employed in rugby that are so plainly effective that you wonder why they haven't simply been drafted straight into football. For example, if a player gives the ref some lip after a free-kick has been given, just move the place where the kick is taken ten yards closer to the goal. Would eliminate the problem very quickly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

That girl was 16

Or as John McCain said: Russia is a gas station with nukes.
  • Options

💬#Zakharova: London successfully exports its colonial methods. The methods of suppressing the Donbass were obviously taught by British instructors and political mentors.

❓We wonder if the Ukrainians understand that London uses them as a typical colonial cannon fodder?

Were it true I wonder if people would prefer that London colonialism to the Russian variety.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

Johnson has driven a coach and horses through political etiquette. My question is why are good honest serfs revering this entitled, feckless fool?

FPT

Then How long will this war leader bounce last for? As the header says his ratings go up and up all the time toward what won his landslide. “Boris Love” is real Pete, don’t be in denial, just explain how it defy political gravity. You dismiss it can last the parliament and beyond, without even explaining to us why it’s happening.

There’s single mothers i saw on channel 4 news, going to food banks out there, voted Brexit and Boris and fearful of anyone else leading the country.

Is it the opposition are so un charismatic and lacking the Boris Passion for things, so they don’t cut through 🤷‍♀️

The Boris fan club and hero worship is growing again. Something or someone has to get the blame for letting Boris off the hook with all this, the opposition leaders and front benches have to be considered as not cutting through.
  • Options
    So operation save Big Dog moves to code red where migrants will be flown out to Rwanda where they will rot in horrendous conditions but out of sight and out of mind !

Can no 10 make the UK look more nasty . I suppose we should be grateful that the migrants aren’t being shot at dawn !
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Could be - 190m range, 150kg warhead - it’s pretty capable.
    But it had just been developed, and only just started started entering into service. It was reported that have very few of them operational (if any).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

If Rishi was an NFT

How can you buy the first tweet as a NFT?

I'm confused?
  • Options
    From last September:

George Osborne has won business for an investment bank from a company set up by a Russian oligarch who once hosted the former chancellor on his yacht, it has been reported.

Osborne, 50, secured EN+, a metals company, as a client for Robey Warshaw, which he joined this year after resigning as editor of the Evening Standard, despite having no previous experience in banking. In the past seven years the bank has made profits of £207 million for its work on mergers and acquisitions.

EN+, one of the largest producers of aluminium in the world, was set up by Oleg Deripaska, who is banned from the US. The Russian billionaire, who in the past has been accused of having close ties to President Putin, hosted Osborne on his yacht off the Greek island of Corfu in 2008. The Labour peer Lord Mandelson and Lord Feldman of Elstree, a Tory party fundraiser, were also guests.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/george-osborne-wins-deal-with-firm-set-up-by-oligarch-linked-to-putin-j8wf30m9z

Has George Osborne donated his 'earnings' from this deal to help Ukraine ?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

My eighty something aunt caught BA.2 getting her 4th dose in similar circumstances in Warrington. Fortunately a minor dose.
    Not at all surprised.

In my case they'd moved the jabs to the second floor, requiring shared lift access for the mobility impaired and the lazy kids.

Glad the case was mild - most will be, obviously - but you'd think that there might be a bit more care at vaccine centres, even if there isn't anywhere else. There certainly was the first time.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

So operation save Big Dog moves to code red where migrants will be flown out to Rwanda where they will rot in horrendous conditions but out of sight and out of mind !

Can no 10 make the UK look more nasty . I suppose we should be grateful that the migrants aren’t being shot at dawn !

That was rejected as being inhumane - you cannot expect the executioners to get up at dawn every day.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Not at all surprised.

In my case they'd moved the jabs to the second floor, requiring shared lift access for the mobility impaired and the lazy kids.

Glad the case was mild - most will be, obviously - but you'd think that there might be a bit more care at vaccine centres, even if there isn't anywhere else. There certainly was the first time.
    The government have closed most of the vaccine centres now, hence the crowding.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Leon said:

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

That girl was 16

Or as John McCain said: Russia is a gas station with nukes.
    Russia, Upper Volta with rockets - Helmut Schmidt.
  • Options

nico679 said:

There are some procedures employed in rugby that are so plainly effective that you wonder why they haven't simply been drafted straight into football. For example, if a player gives the ref some lip after a free-kick has been given, just move the place where the kick is taken ten yards closer to the goal. Would eliminate the problem very quickly.
    I believe it’s prejudice. They believe football is the greatest game and can’t learn anything from elsewhere. And yet TV assistance, pioneered in cricket, then rugby, is now in football too.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Rishi just isn't good at politics. Boris is great at it.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    20 years ago they did try the rugby 10 yard thing in football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/feb/20/newsstory.sport9
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Only for the dusky ones, ones with good slavic cheekbones get the fast track to asylum. Not that the fast track is very fast.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Leon said:

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

That girl was 16

Protest in Tallin which is vey much to the point.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/avalaina/status/1514194493687447556

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

nico679 said:

They tried that and abandoned it. Like almost every good rugby rule.it came.from League.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    This on the BBC feed, background regarding the Moskva.

On the first day of the invasion, the small garrison refused calls from the ship for it to surrender, telling the ship to "go to hell".

Detailed reporting of death and atrocities - ok; rude words - certainly not!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    Nigelb said:

Could be - 190m range, 150kg warhead - it’s pretty capable.
    But it had just been developed, and only just started started entering into service. It was reported that have very few of them operational (if any).
    Argentina invented ground launched Exocet in a matter of days, using a search light generator and an angry Nazi.
  • Options

nico679 said:

I believe it’s prejudice. They believe football is the greatest game and can’t learn anything from elsewhere. And yet TV assistance, pioneered in cricket, then rugby, is now in football too.
    Agreed.

Note also that TV assistance works brilliantly in rugby, and pretty well in cricket too, but in football it's a nightmare.

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it.
  • Options

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

Said nobody who knew anything about sea otters or ichneumonid wasps or lions or, really, animals in general
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Were it true I wonder if people would prefer that London colonialism to the Russian variety.
    General Dwyer has entered the chat
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

20 years ago they did try the rugby 10 yard thing in football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/feb/20/newsstory.sport9

Did they at some point phase it back out?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Not at all surprised.

The government have closed most of the vaccine centres now, hence the crowding.
    Yes, although the pharmacy wasn't crowded at all, so I'm not entirely sure it was lack of capacity.

I think it was just a local screw up to be honest, although clearly there has been more than one local screw up.

There was no need to have everyone in the same queue, or even the same vaccination centre, given there was another one about a mile away. Surely they could just have sent the 5 year olds to one, and the 80/90 year olds to the other. Given BA.2 it still wouldn't be no risk for the oldies, but it would certainly have improved it.

• Options
    edited April 2022

nico679 said:

Agreed.

Note also that TV assistance works brilliantly in rugby, and pretty well in cricket too, but in football it's a nightmare.

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it.
    I am not sure rugby review system is that great. It has lots of the same problems with VAR in football, in that the ref now basically refers incidents far too often.

Cricket limited number of challenges is a much better system and marginal decisions stick with the umpire.

Big problem with football is really marginal offsides etc, they try and employ a level of accuracy that isn't there and it takes forever to try and make a decision as they try to go down to the pixel level of the image. Its should just be clear and obvious, not like the Sterling one last Sunday where his nipples were offside and the rest of him wasn't.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

That girl was 16

Protest in Tallin which is vey much to the point.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/avalaina/status/1514194493687447556

Wow. Good on them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

If Rishi was an NFT

What I want to know is why am I unable to find and make friends with those people, it would make my life much easier.
    Indeed. I have some lightly used bridges with full service histories they could have as tangible assets. At low, low prices.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

Then How long will this war leader bounce last for? As the header says his ratings go up and up all the time toward what won his landslide. “Boris Love” is real Pete, don’t be in denial, just explain how it defy political gravity. You dismiss it can last the parliament and beyond, without even explaining to us why it’s happening.

There’s single mothers i saw on channel 4 news, going to food banks out there, voted Brexit and Boris and fearful of anyone else leading the country.

Is it the opposition are so un charismatic and lacking the Boris Passion for things, so they don’t cut through 🤷‍♀️
    "Boris Love" is real, particularly in the areas both you and I have quoted. Many other regions have fallen out of love with Johnson.

You may be right that Johnson wins. If he does it won't be as a result of Ukraine, it won't be economic competence and it won't be his performance on lockdown compliance.

I am unsure of why you think Starmer is so incompetent as LOTO, in the face of Johnson's unbelievable performance. Are you taken in by the unrelenting news media and social media campaign against him?

Should Johnson be the candidate against Starmer, then circumstances, particularly the economy, may fall in Starmer's favour.
  • Options

This on the BBC feed, background regarding the Moskva.

On the first day of the invasion, the small garrison refused calls from the ship for it to surrender, telling the ship to "go to hell".

Detailed reporting of death and atrocities - ok; rude words - certainly not!

As South Park once put it:

Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty woids!

It's mostly as true now as it was then - bad language in entertainment is more acceptable even if not in news, whilst anything risque is probably less acceptable, whilst violence has never been a problem in news or entertainment.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Only for the dusky ones, ones with good slavic cheekbones get the fast track to asylum. Not that the fast track is very fast.
    Apparently this will be open to legal challenges at which point the right wing press will round on the judges calling them enemies of the people ! My loathing of this cesspit government continues to grow with each passing day .
This discussion has been closed.