Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak’s favourability drops a colossal 26% in a month – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

If Rishi was an NFT

There's always been folk with more money than sense...
    What I want to know is why am I unable to find and make friends with those people, it would make my life much easier.
    Indeed. I have some lightly used bridges with full service histories they could have as tangible assets. At low, low prices.
    Sold! I'll take three.

Oh crap, I think I've found one of those people now...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/13/stopped-wife-opening-mutilated-daughters-coffin-protect-even

"I stopped my wife from opening mutilated daughter’s coffin to protect her from even more grief

“She was shot at point blank range. Almost half of her head was missing,” Mr Dereko, 41, told The Telegraph.

The police told the Derekos that Karina had been killed by “violent death”. Yet because the story was “so horrific”, the authorities withheld information from them, although they were informed that she had been tortured.

They also advised Mrs Dereko against viewing images of her daughter’s remains.

“We think it could be possible that she was raped,” Mr Dereko added.

“We have not seen the lower part of her body, just the upper part, but what we have seen at the top, we can only imagine what can be on the rest of her body.”

Reality check as to what we are dealing with here

Animals, horrid horrid Animals,

We must give Ukraine what ever they what and need to defend themselves.
    They are not animals. Only humans have the capability to act with such depravity.
    That girl was 16

The Russian army is an obscenity with nukes
    Protest in Tallin which is vey much to the point.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/avalaina/status/1514194493687447556

Wow. Good on them.
    Bit more impactful than holding a sign, that's for sure.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Our first glimpse of the RM-70 multiple rocket launcher systems recently delivered to the Ukranian army from Czech stocks. These MRLS are essentially variants of the traditional 122mm BM-21 "Grad", and at least 20 have been transferred for use.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1514325652396249097
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    IshmaelZ said:

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/13/stopped-wife-opening-mutilated-daughters-coffin-protect-even

"I stopped my wife from opening mutilated daughter’s coffin to protect her from even more grief

“She was shot at point blank range. Almost half of her head was missing,” Mr Dereko, 41, told The Telegraph.

The police told the Derekos that Karina had been killed by “violent death”. Yet because the story was “so horrific”, the authorities withheld information from them, although they were informed that she had been tortured.

“We have not seen the lower part of her body, just the upper part, but what we have seen at the top, we can only imagine what can be on the rest of her body.”

They are not animals. Only humans have the capability to act with such depravity.
    Said nobody who knew anything about sea otters or ichneumonid wasps or lions or, really, animals in general
    Foxes
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296

nico679 said:

Football needs to adopt the rugby union rule on players moaning to refs . Sick of the constant moaning and harassing of referees. Atletico Madrid are a disgrace.

Football generally hates to take anything from rugby. The response of ex players etc is always scornfull. Like it’s saying rugby is somehow better.
    I’ve seen it suggested that if they tried to ref football in the same way with respect to not talking back to the ref, then sides would run out of players left on the pitch. I disagree. I think they would learn pretty damn fast.
    There are some procedures employed in rugby that are so plainly effective that you wonder why they haven't simply been drafted straight into football. For example, if a player gives the ref some lip after a free-kick has been given, just move the place where the kick is taken ten yards closer to the goal. Would eliminate the problem very quickly.
    I believe it’s prejudice. They believe football is the greatest game and can’t learn anything from elsewhere. And yet TV assistance, pioneered in cricket, then rugby, is now in football too.
    Agreed.

Note also that TV assistance works brilliantly in rugby, and pretty well in cricket too, but in football it's a nightmare.

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it.
    I am not sure rugby review system is that great. It has lots of the same problems with VAR in football, in that the ref now basically refers incidents far too often.

Cricket limited number of challenges is a much better system.
    Most of the calls with rugby around grounding and touch/not in touch are fine. They’ve gone too far with slo mo replays of foul play that are making things look worse than real time.
    Cricket seems to have got it mostly right, but it took time. I feel for older spin bowlers who would have had far more success with lbw, and would have forced batters to change the way they played.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    edited April 2022
    Oryx has a list.
    That’s a lot of kit.
    Newly revealed deliveries:

Czechia:

20+ RM-70 Vampire MRLs
    20+ 152mm ShKH vz. 77 DANA SPGs

US:

- 16 Mi-17 helicopters
    - 18 155mm howitzers
    - 300 or 3000 Switchblade LMs
    - 2 AN/MPQ-64 radars
    - 10 AN/TPQ-36 radars
    - 200 M113 APCs
    - 100 HMMWVs

https://mobile.twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1514323803467403269
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

nico679 said:

Football needs to adopt the rugby union rule on players moaning to refs . Sick of the constant moaning and harassing of referees. Atletico Madrid are a disgrace.

Football generally hates to take anything from rugby. The response of ex players etc is always scornfull. Like it’s saying rugby is somehow better.
    I’ve seen it suggested that if they tried to ref football in the same way with respect to not talking back to the ref, then sides would run out of players left on the pitch. I disagree. I think they would learn pretty damn fast.
    There are some procedures employed in rugby that are so plainly effective that you wonder why they haven't simply been drafted straight into football. For example, if a player gives the ref some lip after a free-kick has been given, just move the place where the kick is taken ten yards closer to the goal. Would eliminate the problem very quickly.
    I believe it’s prejudice. They believe football is the greatest game and can’t learn anything from elsewhere. And yet TV assistance, pioneered in cricket, then rugby, is now in football too.
    Agreed.

Note also that TV assistance works brilliantly in rugby, and pretty well in cricket too, but in football it's a nightmare.

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it.
    I am not sure rugby review system is that great. It has lots of the same problems with VAR in football, in that the ref now basically refers incidents far too often.

Cricket limited number of challenges is a much better system.
    Most of the calls with rugby around grounding and touch/not in touch are fine. They’ve gone too far with slo mo replays of foul play that are making things look worse than real time.
    Cricket seems to have got it mostly right, but it took time. I feel for older spin bowlers who would have had far more success with lbw, and would have forced batters to change the way they played.
    Yes, rugby has descended down a similar route to football, where they are assessing for foul play ages before the try was scored in super slow motion, often when the players themselves aren't complaining.
  • Options

20 years ago they did try the rugby 10 yard thing in football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/feb/20/newsstory.sport9

That article says they were going to try it. Did it actually happen? Have we got video of any professional footballer being sent back 10 yards for arguing with the ref?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

Said nobody who knew anything about sea otters or ichneumonid wasps or lions or, really, animals in general
    Foxes
    Scragging the little fuckers is deprecated, because reasons [except by the most cruel and effective means which remain absolutely fine, because politics of envy].
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    kle4 said:

This on the BBC feed, background regarding the Moskva.

On the first day of the invasion, the small garrison refused calls from the ship for it to surrender, telling the ship to "go to hell".

Detailed reporting of death and atrocities - ok; rude words - certainly not!

As South Park once put it:

Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty woids!

It's mostly as true now as it was then - bad language in entertainment is more acceptable even if not in news, whilst anything risque is probably less acceptable, whilst violence has never been a problem in news or entertainment.
    The phrase in question was I believe иди на хуй. Literally "go on (your) cock" so fuck yourself seems a reasonable translation. Not that I have been studying mat in case I meet any Russians.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

That article says they were going to try it. Did it actually happen? Have we got video of any professional footballer being sent back 10 yards for arguing with the ref?
    4 seasons.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4637805.stm

From memory one of the big problems and did happen is players don't actually want to be too close to the goal for freekicks, so in some circumstances it is advantageous for the defending team to argue and get the free kick shifted.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,637
    via Politico.com - Former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows has been removed from the voter rolls in North Carolina, as state officials probe potential voter fraud allegations against the former congressman.

“Macon County administratively removed the voter registration of Mark Meadows under” state law, Patrick Gannon — a spokesperson for the state board of elections — said in a statement, “after documentation indicated he lived in Virginia and last voted in the 2021 election there.”

Gannon referred any questions on an investigation into Meadows to the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation. Anjanette Grube, a spokesperson for the bureau, said in a statement that the organization's “investigation into potential voter fraud allegations concerning Mark Meadows remains ongoing.” She declined to comment further.

The news of Meadows’ removal was first reported by the Asheville Citizen-Times, after the county elections director confirmed Meadows’ removal from the rolls to the paper.

Asheville NC Citizen-Times: Mark Meadows removed from NC voter roll amid election fraud investigation

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/2022/04/13/mark-meadows-removed-nc-voter-roll-amid-voter-fraud-investigation/7290257001/

. . . Meadows, an ex-Asheville and Western North Carolina congressman, former top staffer for President Donald Trump and a leading proponent of the false claim that Trump lost the election due to widespread fraud, has not commented on the allegations since news broke in March that he registered to vote at a single-wide mobile home in Macon County where there is no evidence he ever lived. Meadows voted absentee using that address in the 2020 general election.

SBI spokesperson Anjanette Grube did not immediately respond to a message asking if the change in registration had any significance to the investigation.

Thibault said Virginia records show that when Meadows registered in that state he did not include information about his Macon County registration. Because of that, Virginia election officials did not notify N.C. officials about the double registration, she said.

It is a normal practice to remove voters such a way, Thibault said.

The registration of Meadows' wife Debra remains active for the Scaly Mountain address, which neither she nor her husband ever owned.

News first broke of the unlikely voter address with March 6 New Yorker story that cited interviews with neighbors, the owner and former owner who said Debra Meadows rented the home and stayed there a few nights but Mark Meadows was never seen there.

Macon County Republican voters interviewed by the Citizen Times expressed skepticism a powerful member of the president's staff lived in the small home with a rusted roof.

An N.C. woman who said she was prosecuted for mistakenly voting while on probation, meanwhile, called for Meadows to face a similar fate. . . .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

If Rishi was an NFT

What I want to know is why am I unable to find and make friends with those people, it would make my life much easier.
    Indeed. I have some lightly used bridges with full service histories they could have as tangible assets. At low, low prices.
    Sold! I'll take three.

If you are going for three - perhaps I could interest you in Thames Tideway foreshore property? I have a large portfolio of brilliant opportunities…..
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Does anyone have an explanation for why the US is now putting the foot on the accelerator with regards military supplies to Ukraine?
  • Options

4 seasons.

From memory one of the big problems and did happen is players don't actually want to be too close to the goal for freekicks, so in some circumstances it is advantageous for the defending team to argue and get the free kick shifted.
    Wow. I don’t remember ever seeing it actually happen in football.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Tine for comparing Putin's murderous blunder with other great military and strategic disasters. My opening offering is France initiating the Franco Prussian War.

I nominate the Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia in1914:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_campaign

Has a number of interesting parallels with Putins campaign, though hopefully not precipitating a World War.
    1870 - Paraguay start a war against… well basically everyone else in South America.

• Options
    Feisty in the tunnel...

Video of police storming into the tunnel to set apart the players of #AtletiManCity especially Savic and Grealish attempting to headbutt each other

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1514354384557199365?s=20&t=C37iSr31x7qiil-nlm8a3Q
  • Options
    No 10 sources said the prime minister had attended the birthday gathering in the cabinet room in June 2020 for less than 10 minutes, eating salad from a plastic bowl and declining any alcohol or party food.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/13/boris-johnson-could-get-three-more-fines-over-partygate-say-insiders

I for one am convinced by this
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,602
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

No impact at all - quite the reverse.

We are told by people here, there and everywhere everyone loves the Prime Minister, anyone who doesn't is a traitor and the Conservatives will gain hundreds of seats at the local elections on a wave of patriotic fervour.

They will lose seats, the question is how many.

Major's Tories lost over 500 seats at the equivalent stage of the cycle in the 1994 locals so Boris will at least be aiming to avoid that heavy a loss.

If it is that bad then his position will be difficult. Sunak's position also hanging by a thread. The likely replacement would have to be someone dull but a safe pair of hands eg Ben Wallace
    Its still astonishing that you will not admit and accept that (a) they have lied and (b) honour and basic political decency demands they resign.

May would have resigned.
    Cameron would have resigned.
    Major would have resigned.
    Thatcher would have resigned.

You - personally - are enabling the debasement of our entire political system. And are so brazen you won't even face up to your complicity.
    Johnson has driven a coach and horses through political etiquette. My question is why are good honest serfs revering this entitled, feckless fool?

FPT

@MoonRabbit sorry no lasting Falklands Factor for Johnson in Ukraine.
    Then How long will this war leader bounce last for? As the header says his ratings go up and up all the time toward what won his landslide. “Boris Love” is real Pete, don’t be in denial, just explain how it defy political gravity. You dismiss it can last the parliament and beyond, without even explaining to us why it’s happening.

There’s single mothers i saw on channel 4 news, going to food banks out there, voted Brexit and Boris and fearful of anyone else leading the country.

Is it the opposition are so un charismatic and lacking the Boris Passion for things, so they don’t cut through 🤷‍♀️
    "Boris Love" is real, particularly in the areas both you and I have quoted. Many other regions have fallen out of love with Johnson.

You may be right that Johnson wins. If he does it won't be as a result of Ukraine, it won't be economic competence and it won't be his performance on lockdown compliance.

I am unsure of why you think Starmer is so incompetent as LOTO, in the face of Johnson's unbelievable performance. Are you taken in by the unrelenting news media and social media campaign against him?

Should Johnson be the candidate against Starmer, then circumstances, particularly the economy, may fall in Starmer's favour.
    How do I spell the sort of shrugging bllllllllll noise I made after reading your post?

I don’t think Starmer is incompetent at all. He’s make a great lawyer in a court room, cross examining on our behalf. Truth is, drunk TV chef was more inspiring merely shouting “where are ya, let’s behaving ya” into a microphone

The numbers game, as big John keeps pointing out, is that New Labour Lite is just not cutting through. Against what? Against absolute flipping rubbish. we have a government and leadership who operate with such disregard for the checks and balances of democratic structure, ignoring or circumventing wherever they can. Has this ever happened before like this? It’s disgraceful. So why can’t the opposition cut through? Why is there no pressure on Boris and his government of lightweight acolytes? Why is he growing in popularity again?

This is a key moment for UK. Boris can get to the election and win another 5 years.

You seem to agree with me Pete, other opposition voters on here in denial how strong and popular Boris is, how he defies political gravity with an X factor, they are horribly complacent, like MrCawber waiting for something to turn up. You said it yourself! If the economy is really bad and people suffer maybe they will blame Boris. Is that all you got? 😩
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,637

Tine for comparing Putin's murderous blunder with other great military and strategic disasters. My opening offering is France initiating the Franco Prussian War.

Voyage of the Russian Baltic Fleet around the world to bad end at Battle of Tshushima in 1905?

Along the way shelled & sank several British fishing boats they thought were Japanese torpedo boats.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

Does anyone have an explanation for why the US is now putting the foot on the accelerator with regards military supplies to Ukraine?

The Russians are about to attempt an assault on the Donbas and Ukraine needs to be able to counter-attack.

In any case, I presume it means the kit in question has now been delivered, plus some stuff we're not talking about.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

The Ukrainians are officially saying that the Russian cruiser Moskva is on fire.

Apparently they're trolling by saying perhaps some of the sailors were smoking...

Also that Ukraine are launching a rescue attempt. If true, they must be expecting the ship to go down.

(The Moskva is the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet.)

The Saver is a substantial warship, 12,500 Tones about twice our type 45 Destroyers and heavily armed, she is old but finished a long refit in 2020 so is up to date in most respects, I do hope this report is accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Moskva

The missile the Ukrainians say hit it, the 'Neptune missile' is brand new, entering service last year, I would have thought any they did have would have been used up by now, perhaps they have been able to make more, or perhaps they have given the blue prints to somebody else (UK?) to make them? or perhaps it was a different missile used (Harpoon?) but by agreement the Ukrainians will clame it was there own missiles so as to not 'escalate'
    Looking at the rows of Sandbox missiles lining the decks of the Moskva, reminds me of the Zuma class torpedo cruisers of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

Which were rejected for service on the grounds that with 40 Long Lance torpedos on deck, it would be impossible for the Americans to avoid hitting one and cause a chain reaction destroying the entire ship…
  • Options

4 seasons.

That's easily overcome. You give the attacking side the option. In practice though most teams would grab the ten yards most of the time.

I suspect the failure of the idea was due to poor implementation, just as we see happening with VAR. It's basically a good idea failing because it is managed incompetently.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    edited April 2022
    Toby Young's view is don't replace lockdown-breaker Johnson as this means while he is PM there can never be another lockdown.

I think Toby has not grasped how hypocritical Johnson can be.

• Options

Let historians record Lord Wolfson.

At last a man of honour within the Tory 'Trump' party.

He is our Liz Cheney.

Lord who?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

We are told by people here, there and everywhere everyone loves the Prime Minister, anyone who doesn't is a traitor and the Conservatives will gain hundreds of seats at the local elections on a wave of patriotic fervour.

Major's Tories lost over 500 seats at the equivalent stage of the cycle in the 1994 locals so Boris will at least be aiming to avoid that heavy a loss.

If it is that bad then his position will be difficult. Sunak's position also hanging by a thread. The likely replacement would have to be someone dull but a safe pair of hands eg Ben Wallace
    Its still astonishing that you will not admit and accept that (a) they have lied and (b) honour and basic political decency demands they resign.

May would have resigned.

You - personally - are enabling the debasement of our entire political system. And are so brazen you won't even face up to your complicity.
    Johnson has driven a coach and horses through political etiquette. My question is why are good honest serfs revering this entitled, feckless fool?

FPT

Then How long will this war leader bounce last for? As the header says his ratings go up and up all the time toward what won his landslide. “Boris Love” is real Pete, don’t be in denial, just explain how it defy political gravity. You dismiss it can last the parliament and beyond, without even explaining to us why it’s happening.

There’s single mothers i saw on channel 4 news, going to food banks out there, voted Brexit and Boris and fearful of anyone else leading the country.

Is it the opposition are so un charismatic and lacking the Boris Passion for things, so they don’t cut through 🤷‍♀️
    "Boris Love" is real, particularly in the areas both you and I have quoted. Many other regions have fallen out of love with Johnson.

You may be right that Johnson wins. If he does it won't be as a result of Ukraine, it won't be economic competence and it won't be his performance on lockdown compliance.

I am unsure of why you think Starmer is so incompetent as LOTO, in the face of Johnson's unbelievable performance. Are you taken in by the unrelenting news media and social media campaign against him?

Should Johnson be the candidate against Starmer, then circumstances, particularly the economy, may fall in Starmer's favour.
    How do I spell the sort of shrugging bllllllllll noise I made after reading your post?

I don’t think Starmer is incompetent at all. He’s make a great lawyer in a court room, cross examining on our behalf. Truth is, drunk TV chef was more inspiring merely shouting “where are ya, let’s behaving ya” into a microphone

The numbers game, as big John keeps pointing out, is that New Labour Lite is just not cutting through. Against what? Against absolute flipping rubbish. we have a government and leadership who operate with such disregard for the checks and balances of democratic structure, ignoring or circumventing wherever they can. Has this ever happened before like this? It’s disgraceful. So why can’t the opposition cut through? Why is there no pressure on Boris and his government of lightweight acolytes? Why is he growing in popularity again?

This is a key moment for UK. Boris can get to the election and win another 5 years.

You seem to agree with me Pete, other opposition voters on here in denial how strong and popular Boris is, how he defies political gravity with an X factor, they are horribly complacent, like MrCawber waiting for something to turn up. You said it yourself! If the economy is really bad and people suffer maybe they will blame Boris. Is that all you got? 😩
    The counterargument is, the fat bastard is meant to be enjoying his Finest Hour and he is still 8 points behind in the polls.
  • Options
    Interesting article from Ulrika Franke (mentioned below) from last year. Helps to explain Germany's difficulty in thinking strategically about foreign policy.

https://warontherocks.com/2021/05/a-millennial-considers-the-new-german-problem-after-30-years-of-peace/
  • Options
    Interesting to note the ads that are on the BBC website in Europe. The one dominating my BBC Sport homepage at the moment says:

“The World Of Private Equity
    Like you’ve never seen it before”
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

The counterargument is, the fat bastard is meant to be enjoying his Finest Hour and he is still 8 points behind in the polls.
    And the counter counter argument often posted by MarqueeMark and Felix and others, they remember when Miliband had 15% leads.

Do I put you into the complacent column too?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

4 seasons.

That's easily overcome. You give the attacking side the option. In practice though most teams would grab the ten yards most of the time.

I suspect the failure of the idea was due to poor implementation, just as we see happening with VAR. It's basically a good idea failing because it is managed incompetently.
    Its still not ideal. I think it would have to be you can advance anywhere from 0 to 10 yards of your choosing. Perhaps also you should have the option to horizontal position along the pitch as well. So basically you can get yourself a fairly central ideally distance free kick. But now its all got a bit complex.

The crux of the issue with football is vertical distance from the goal isn't anywhere near as important as in rugby, where especially in modern game anything in oppositions half is kick-able....so giving up a penalty, then allowing the opposition to get 10 yards closer increases their chances of scoring the penalty kick tremendously.

Sin binning, now that is an idea that is simple and punishes a team.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

I’m not sure what his physical attributes have to do with anything. If he lost a load of weight would you call the slim wanker?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290

Foxy said:

Has a number of interesting parallels with Putins campaign, though hopefully not precipitating a World War.
    1870 - Paraguay start a war against… well basically everyone else in South America.

1982 Argentine invasion of Falkland Islands. Collapse of Military rule in Argentina for almost 40 years.
  • Options

Interesting article from Ulrika Franke (mentioned below) from last year. Helps to explain Germany's difficulty in thinking strategically about foreign policy.

https://warontherocks.com/2021/05/a-millennial-considers-the-new-german-problem-after-30-years-of-peace/

The explanation of the apparent belief in the moral perfection of German foreign policy, by some German politicians, is certainly worth reading.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,799

The Russians are about to attempt an assault on the Donbas and Ukraine needs to be able to counter-attack.

In any case, I presume it means the kit in question has now been delivered, plus some stuff we're not talking about.
    Those switchblade drones are impressive. Hard to see armour getting far against them.

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I think to start with they where hoping that this being a European war, that there European allies would step up, but sadly apart form the UK and Some East Europeans the rest is just doing token efforts, especially Germany and France, so the US realisesits them or Putin wins.
  • Options

Yeah but we've known about this for some time. Are we no longer spooked by Putin's nuclear sabre rattling?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    One example of "Finlandization is a banned movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Day_in_the_Life_of_Ivan_Denisovich
    A one-hour dramatization for television, made for NBC in 1963, starred Jason Robards Jr. in the title role and was broadcast on November 8, 1963. A 1970 film adaptation based on the novella starred British actor Tom Courtenay in the title role. Finland banned the film from public view,[18] fearing that it could hurt external relations with its eastern neighbor.
    (Although it has not been done -- so far as I know -- by the Amerian government, American movie producers have similarly catered to ChiCom feelings, just as many of them catered to Nazi feelings, before WW II.)

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

And the counter counter argument often posted by MarqueeMark and Felix and others, they remember when Miliband had 15% leads.

Do I put you into the complacent column too?
    I have moved in the last 24 hours from Not tory while Johnson is in charge to Not tory while any current minister is in charge, and not too bloody happy about the backbenchers either
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

1982 Argentine invasion of Falkland Islands. Collapse of Military rule in Argentina for almost 40 years.
    Hitler deciding “fuck it, I’ll support the Japanese and declare war on the USA, they won’t intervene in this theatre”.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,309

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

My admission that Johnson could win GE24 is not based on his ability or Starmer's shortcomings, it is simply down to Johnson's unbelievable good fortune in the face of outrageous bad behaviour and ineptitude.

As someone said on here a few days ago, perhaps he has sold his soul to the devil. I can't think of a better explanation.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

I’m not sure what his physical attributes have to do with anything. If he lost a load of weight would you call the slim wanker?
    The formerly fat bastard

But I'm very inclusive where weightist issues are concerned.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

Compared to 1870, the Falklands was a work of genius.

99.99999% of the Argentine population survived the war.

80%+ of males aged 16+ in Paraguay didn’t survive 1870.

The victors seriously considered just not having Paraguay exist at all, because there were so few people left…
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chimps are vicious.

If you gave one a gun...
    Cannabalistic too.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

The formerly fat bastard

It’s utterly irrelevant and as childish as mocking Sunak’s height. I wish people would just stick to criticism of his and others’ political attributes. I expect there are overweight people reading this that are made to feel uncomfortable by the “fat bastard” jibes.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Over the last couple of weeks I have added a number of new countries and territories to my travel CV. They include Tortola (BVI), St Thomas (AVI), Sint Maarten, Grenada, and St Kitts. Should also have included Curacao but we were refused permission to go ashore because of Covid restrictions. back home in time for a last week of campaining in the local elections.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    The US will significantly expand intel given to Ukraine to target Moscow’s military units in 🇷🇺occupied Donbas & Crimea, along w/$800mn assistance package that includes artillery, APCs and helicopters - WSJ citing Pentagon sources

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1514365474586378244
  • Options
    nico679 said:

So operation save Big Dog moves to code red where migrants will be flown out to Rwanda where they will rot in horrendous conditions but out of sight and out of mind !

Can no 10 make the UK look more nasty . I suppose we should be grateful that the migrants aren’t being shot at dawn !

And North Yorkshire. North Yorkshire! Whereabouts in North Yorkshire.

Have to concede it’s a vote winning master stroke “taking back control of the Chanel” in middle a local election campaign. Who doesn’t want less people exploited by gangs in the channel? Who doesn’t want less of the risky boat crossings and illegal entry?

That’s knocked bad news right off the front of the papers.
  • Options

The explanation of the apparent belief in the moral perfection of German foreign policy, by some German politicians, is certainly worth reading.
    I think this tendency is something we see in places other than Germany too. Realpolitik can be taken too far, it can be a cynical trap, but like that Irish politician linked to the other day outraged and saying that 'the answer to war is peace' is based on a similar feeling, that others only suggest war or geopolitics because they are not as moral as you.

There is a feeling of moral superiority that comes with the rejection of power politics, of realpolitik, and of national interests. We are so good at coming to terms with history and so mature not to be so nationalist, not to be seduced by demagogues. Yes, we screwed up massively in the past, but no one has learned the universal truth lessons better than us. Geopolitics, interest politics, and realpolitik, therefore, are things left to other less enlightened ones.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,416
    I'm visiting family in London, and consequently spending time with my mother-in-law, and it's notable how she simply can't move on from Brexit. Why isn't Labour campaigning to rejoin the EU? Why won't they say clearly that Brexit was a mistake? On and on and on.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,253

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

Skinny, lying prick would be the mots juste in that case. Never gonna happen though (the skinny part I mean).
  • Options

4 seasons.

Its still not ideal. I think it would have to be you can advance anywhere from 0 to 10 yards of your choosing. Perhaps also you should have the option to horizontal position along the pitch as well. So basically you can get yourself a fairly central ideally distance free kick. But now its all got a bit complex.

The crux of the issue with football is vertical distance from the goal isn't anywhere near as important as in rugby, where especially in modern game anything in oppositions half is kick-able....so giving up a penalty, then allowing the opposition to get 10 yards closer increases their chances of scoring the penalty kick tremendously.

Sin binning, now that is an idea that is simple and punishes a team.
    Yes - the point of punitive punishments for poor behaviour like mouthing off the ref is they need to have very real consequence, without being completely unfair. Gaining territory is a significant punishment in Rugby, less so in football, whilst losing a man for any length of time would be over harsh for mouthing off. But in football losing a man is impactful, but not as much, since it is easier to restructure to defend the goal.

They could find something if they wanted. But no clubs or fans really want punishment for bad behaviour, or it'd have happened already.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,979
    edited April 2022
    The UK last year demanded the UN investigate incidences of torture , disappearances and killings in Rwanda but apparently is happy to send refugees over there now!

How will this policy work , what will happen to families , could they be split up . What criteria is used to decide who goes to Rwanda .

Even if some of the people arriving on boats might be viewed as economic migrants a proportion are genuine refugees . How ethical and humane is it to send people thousands of miles to essentially be forgotten to rot because this is the likely outcome.

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

Skinny, lying prick would be the mots juste in that case. Never gonna happen though (the skinny part I mean).
    I’ve never read a “skinny” or “tall” insult about a politician here. Ergo fat and short are bad. It’s infantile name calling.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

My admission that Johnson could win GE24 is not based on his ability or Starmer's shortcomings, it is simply down to Johnson's unbelievable good fortune in the face of outrageous bad behaviour and ineptitude.

As someone said on here a few days ago, perhaps he has sold his soul to the devil. I can't think of a better explanation.
    Is that all we got left? He’s in for ten years, but at least the devil gets his soul?

I was being serious. It’s quite possible when it comes out of mid term protests and opposition poll leads (that’s rarely double digit) Boris Factor will be strong again and he has landslide to defend. The opposition are having a bad time this last month converting what should be serious political crisis into real pressure, but what can they do differently to start cutting through? How to actually prize the Boris voters away from him?

You must admit, this week there is next to no pressure on Boris or the government at all. What’s happening?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,253

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

I’ve never read a “skinny” or “tall” insult about a politician here. Ergo fat and short are bad. It’s infantile name calling.
    Shut it, smelly pants.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994

I'm visiting family in London, and consequently spending time with my mother-in-law, and it's notable how she simply can't move on from Brexit. Why isn't Labour campaigning to rejoin the EU? Why won't they say clearly that Brexit was a mistake? On and on and on.

There are fanatics on both sides. Those who have never accepted the result and those who still think it hasn't happened until we blow up the Channel tunnel.

Politicians need to ignore both extremes and get on with stuff that actually matters now.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

Shut it, smelly pants.
    My undies were pretty smelly before they went in the wash!
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

Compared to 1870, the Falklands was a work of genius.

99.99999% of the Argentine population survived the war.

80%+ of males aged 16+ in Paraguay didn’t survive 1870.

The victors seriously considered just not having Paraguay exist at all, because there were so few people left…
    I know nothing about this at all, it's difficult to conceive what a shitshow that must have been. Any good books on the subject?
  • Options
    Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? Is a killer point, Which of you by taking thought can subtract one inch from his waistline? is not.

Odd hill to die on.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? Is a killer point, Which of you by taking thought can subtract one inch from his waistline? is not.

Odd hill to die on.

I always hear people saying “that fat bastard Churchill, what a hero”
  • Options
    edited April 2022

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

The formerly fat bastard

It’s utterly irrelevant and as childish as mocking Sunak’s height. I wish people would just stick to criticism of his and others’ political attributes. I expect there are overweight people reading this that are made to feel uncomfortable by the “fat bastard” jibes.
    I'm happy to make fun of Sunak's height because I'm the same height and because he's clearly insecure about it despite being richer than God. Johnson lacks comedy for me because I doubt he gives two shits about it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,128

nico679 said:

So operation save Big Dog moves to code red where migrants will be flown out to Rwanda where they will rot in horrendous conditions but out of sight and out of mind !

Can no 10 make the UK look more nasty . I suppose we should be grateful that the migrants aren’t being shot at dawn !

And North Yorkshire. North Yorkshire! Whereabouts in North Yorkshire.

Have to concede it’s a vote winning master stroke “taking back control of the Chanel”
    They say the hand that rocks the lipstick rules the world.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,063
    dixiedean said:

Rishi just isn't good at politics. Boris is great at it.

No, lots of thick people walking the streets
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

The formerly fat bastard

I'm happy to make fun of Sunak's height because I'm the same height and because he's clearly insecure about it despite being richer than God. Johnson lacks comedy for me because I doubt he gives two shits about it.
    It’s just brilliant that heightism is acceptable comedy, even among the less vertically endowed.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

If Rishi was an NFT

Sold! I'll take three.

If you are going for three - perhaps I could interest you in Thames Tideway foreshore property? I have a large portfolio of brilliant opportunities…..
    You are the Crown Estates and I claim my £5…
  • Options
    True fact, I was about to make a comment about you know who isn't insecure about his height - Volodomyr Zelensky, as he's obviously quite short in many of the photos of him.

So I type his name into Google and the autocomplete gives the following suggestions:

Volodomyr Zelensky height
    Volodomyr Zelensky net worth
    Volodomyr Zelensky twitter
    Volodomyr Zelensky age
    Volodomyr Zelensky height
    Volodomyr Zelensky and putin

Fair to say at least some people have noticed the stature I guess.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,979
    I think we know where this Rwanda policy is going .

The courts will intervene . Some cases will end up going to the ECHR , then the right wing gutter press will blame the court for interfering and hey presto the Tories will dupe the plebs into waving away their rights under the guise of the UK needs to pull out of the European Convention on Human Rights .

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,235

Interesting to note the ads that are on the BBC website in Europe. The one dominating my BBC Sport homepage at the moment says:

“The World Of Private Equity
    Like you’ve never seen it before”

I wouldn’t mind the presence of the ads, but they seem very clumsily integrated - slowing or stopping the page loading and layout, and sometimes flickering.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

The formerly fat bastard

It’s just brilliant that heightism is acceptable comedy, even among the less vertically endowed.
    Most of it goes right over my head anyway.
  • Options
    There’s so much relevant stuff to attack our current government with. I find it rather disappointing that my favourite place to read about politics has so many contributors that immaturely go for irrelevant physical attributes. It’s hard to really respect people’s opinions who do so.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

The formerly fat bastard

And surely Trumps ex mistress calling him “wee mushroom man” is acceptable?
  • Options

4 seasons.

When they first implemented VAR and it was taking a minute to do a check, when tv replays can be brought up within seconds, it felt very suspicious, like it was designed to be aggravating so people could say it was not working.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

The formerly fat bastard

Does she post here?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,235
    nico679 said:

The UK last year demanded the UN investigate incidences of torture , disappearances and killings in Rwanda but apparently is happy to send refugees over there now!

How will this policy work , what will happen to families , could they be split up . What criteria is used to decide who goes to Rwanda .

Even if some of the people arriving on boats might be viewed as economic migrants a proportion are genuine refugees . How ethical and humane is it to send people thousands of miles to essentially be forgotten to rot because this is the likely outcome.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but could you stop pressing the space bar before typing full stops and commas? Makes your otherwise-interesting comments hard to read (and less likely to be taken seriously by those who are new here).
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

Jacob Rees Mogg is sometimes referred to as a haunted pencil, or a disappointed Victorian lamppost, or suchlike.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

The formerly fat bastard

Does she post here?
    Who knows? 😆

Who on PB is Stormy Daniels? Who is most up front in their posts? Who carriers the top weight?

Perhaps a porn star will try to pretend otherwise? So Maybe Heathener? I never did buy all that “buttoned up” act. No one’s that buttoned up.

Let’s do this, doggy style…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCLxJd1d84s
  • Options

There’s so much relevant stuff to attack our current government with. I find it rather disappointing that my favourite place to read about politics has so many contributors that immaturely go for irrelevant physical attributes. It’s hard to really respect people’s opinions who do so.

Well the fat fuck doesn't care about being caught lying, cheating, or even breaking the law. So fat fuck he is.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

Jacob Rees Mogg is sometimes referred to as a haunted pencil, or a disappointed Victorian lamppost, or suchlike.
    lol

“Disappointed Victorian lamppost” is inspired.

• Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

When was the last time someone on here mentioned JRM’s height or weight?

• Options
    Farooq said:

Well the fat fuck doesn't care about being caught lying, cheating, or even breaking the law. So fat fuck he is.
    Grow up child.
  • Options

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

The "pencil" and "lamppost" part of the above are implicitly reference his height/weight ratio.

Now I think of it, he kind of moves like something that lives its life in tall grass, feeding of other disgusting things with exoskeletons.
  • Options
    I wonder when Carrie will leave Johnson
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

BigRich said:

IshmaelZ said:

That girl was 16

The Russian army is an obscenity with nukes
    Protest in Tallin which is vey much to the point.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/avalaina/status/1514194493687447556

I'm sure @Cicero can give more information on this, but please don't spell Tallinn with one "N" - it's the transliteration of the Russian form of the name and probably considered worse than calling Kyiv Kiev.
  • Options
    You can applaud yourselves on your fat/skinny short/tall gags (I’m sure there will be more of the two much “funnier” options). I’m going to bed. Maybe you’ll have some good bald jokes when I wake up.
  • Options

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

May would have resigned.

FPT

I've certainly mentioned he seems to wear suit jackets that are too big for him, it makes him look very strange. But I don't think it's arguable that people get insulted for being fat rather than being thin, or for being ugly rather than too handsome, or for short rather than being tall (you'd probably need to be over 6 1/2 ft before it was worthy of comment).
  • Options

Farooq said:

Grow up child.
    I pitch at the level of the thing I'm aiming at.
    That's all Boris Johnson is worth. Find me a higher class of politician and I'll give you a higher class of critique. I can happily operate on any level between lofty academic debate and brawling in the pub car park. Boris's level, what he deserves, is about the level of hiding a turd in the hood of his coat.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519

The Russian foreign ministry is doubling down on the anti-British rhetoric:

💬#Zakharova: London successfully exports its colonial methods. The methods of suppressing the Donbass were obviously taught by British instructors and political mentors.

❓We wonder if the Ukrainians understand that London uses them as a typical colonial cannon fodder?

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1514270145933463554

It's odd that they are targeting the UK with such rhetoric. They will be well aware that America runs the show.
  • Options

You can applaud yourselves on your fat/skinny short/tall gags (I’m sure there will be more of the two much “funnier” options). I’m going to bed. Maybe you’ll have some good bald jokes when I wake up.

Probably. If I'm short and content to make short jokes what do you care? It's not something I can change, and if someone actually tried it with any venom I'd call it out in real life, so I'd don't get precious and offended on other peoples' behalf about it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994

Farooq said:

Grow up child.
    Not seeing the problem here. He is fat - as am I. So I am happy to call him that. And he is a lying, cheating law breaking fuck.

I would suggest Farooq's comment is simply a statement of obvious fact.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited April 2022

BigRich said:

The Ukrainians are officially saying that the Russian cruiser Moskva is on fire.

Apparently they're trolling by saying perhaps some of the sailors were smoking...

Also that Ukraine are launching a rescue attempt. If true, they must be expecting the ship to go down.

(The Moskva is the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet.)

The Saver is a substantial warship, 12,500 Tones about twice our type 45 Destroyers and heavily armed, she is old but finished a long refit in 2020 so is up to date in most respects, I do hope this report is accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Moskva

The missile the Ukrainians say hit it, the 'Neptune missile' is brand new, entering service last year, I would have thought any they did have would have been used up by now, perhaps they have been able to make more, or perhaps they have given the blue prints to somebody else (UK?) to make them? or perhaps it was a different missile used (Harpoon?) but by agreement the Ukrainians will clame it was there own missiles so as to not 'escalate'
    Looking at the rows of Sandbox missiles lining the decks of the Moskva, reminds me of the Zuma class torpedo cruisers of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

Which were rejected for service on the grounds that with 40 Long Lance torpedos on deck, it would be impossible for the Americans to avoid hitting one and cause a chain reaction destroying the entire ship…
    Zuma class? Are you sure?
  • Options

💬#Zakharova: London successfully exports its colonial methods. The methods of suppressing the Donbass were obviously taught by British instructors and political mentors.

❓We wonder if the Ukrainians understand that London uses them as a typical colonial cannon fodder?

It's odd that they are targeting the UK with such rhetoric. They will be well aware that America runs the show.
    Plausible deniability. Pretend the USA is attacking them (with horrible words, gosh) whilst they are not retaliating, but ascribing the key role of evildoer to the British, the tail wagging the dog (if only).
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,474
    edited April 2022
    Why the Dems are gonna lose bad

The NYT and the Guardian run basically the same piece on the NYC subway shooter. Apparently the prime, arrested and only suspect expressed ‘bigotry’ and ‘hatred’ online. They are weirdly vague, as to details

“James, who has links to Wisconsin, Philadelphia, Ohio, New York and New Jersey, has posted dozens of bizarre rambling videos on social media in recent years in which he has expressed a range of bigoted views on topics ranging from mental health services, death and race”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/apr/13/brooklyn-subway-shooting-suspect-new-york-latest?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

They cannot bring themselves to admit he is a BLM quasi-activist and a proselytizer of black supremacism
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874

Farooq said:

Grow up child.
    Not seeing the problem here. He is fat - as am I. So I am happy to call him that. And he is a lying, cheating law breaking fuck.

I would suggest Farooq's comment is simply a statement of obvious fact.
    I’m pretty sure you’re not as fat as that lying sack of shit, Boris.

As someone said upthread, he gets the level of criticism he deserves.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    kle4 said:

4 seasons.

When they first implemented VAR and it was taking a minute to do a check, when tv replays can be brought up within seconds, it felt very suspicious, like it was designed to be aggravating so people could say it was not working.
    Indeed. And the inability to hear the discussion between the referee and VAR is crazy.
  • Options

There is a special Russian paranoia about Britain and intelligence services. Perhaps Sidney Riley is the reason?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    The Iranians also seem to believe that Britain is some kind of evil puppet-master.

Perhaps we’re wrong and David Icke was right all along.
  • Options
    My go to short joke is that I couldn't possibly be short, I am average height, so long as you consider average male and female heights together as one. Which I do, as I'm not a sexist.
This discussion has been closed.