Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not the sharpest tool in the Tory box – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622
    edited April 2022
    mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

On the whole misleading Parliament thing.
    https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1513871655482929163
    Rishi Sunak, 7 December 2021: “No, I did not attend any parties”

Its not a lie if he didn't think anything he attended was a party.

Breaking the law is more serious than that.
    There was a cake. And a singing of Happy Birthday. By Rishi Sunak.

If he didn't think that was a party...
    I've had cake and sang happy birthday while at work before. Still thought of it as work, not a party.

If wishing a colleague a happy birthday, while in the office, while at a work meeting is a "party" then you and I have different interpretations of the word party.
    Even if that is true, it is hard to argue it was ‘reasonably necessary for work purposes,’ which was the relevant law and should have been comprehensible even to this lot.

However, Johnson then has to explain how raising his glass of beer to a camera while wishing somebody happy birthday in a non-office location wasn’t a party!
    I would strongly suggest that Boris's opponents avoid detailed arguments about what is or is not a party - it risks clouding the issue which should be very simple: he imposed draconian restrictions on the rest of us, and then failed to follow them. In which case, he felt that either (a) it was safe to ignore the restrictions because they were unnecessary; or (b) the restrictions shouldn't apply just to him (possibly through use of what he thought was a loophole.

Either way, he needs to go. Whether he lied to Parliament is moot.
    This is *not* about the parties any more. Unless he is able to overturn the FPN, they are not in doubt (legally). This is now purely about the layers of lies. No-one should mention the party. Just the FPN and the lies.
    No, the lies are irrelevant and distracting. It's about breaking the law.
    AIUI there's no obligation to resign for that. But the thing that *does* oblige him to resign is lying to Parliament, under the ministerial code. So "breaking the law" is in fact a distraction from the resigning offence.
    An obligation is only an obligation insofar as it is enforceable. SFAICS no-one has the power the enforce this one. So, in the modern world, an obligation it is not.
    The only power with leverage is that possessed by Tory MPs to force a VONC among the Tory MPs, and the power of the opposition to force a VONC in the House of Commons.

Good luck with both of those.

PS Truss will not be the next leader.

• Options

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I've had cake and sang happy birthday while at work before. Still thought of it as work, not a party.

If wishing a colleague a happy birthday, while in the office, while at a work meeting is a "party" then you and I have different interpretations of the word party.
    Even if that is true, it is hard to argue it was ‘reasonably necessary for work purposes,’ which was the relevant law and should have been comprehensible even to this lot.

However, Johnson then has to explain how raising his glass of beer to a camera while wishing somebody happy birthday in a non-office location wasn’t a party!
    I would strongly suggest that Boris's opponents avoid detailed arguments about what is or is not a party - it risks clouding the issue which should be very simple: he imposed draconian restrictions on the rest of us, and then failed to follow them. In which case, he felt that either (a) it was safe to ignore the restrictions because they were unnecessary; or (b) the restrictions shouldn't apply just to him (possibly through use of what he thought was a loophole.

This is *not* about the parties any more. Unless he is able to overturn the FPN, they are not in doubt (legally). This is now purely about the layers of lies. No-one should mention the party. Just the FPN and the lies.
    AIUI there's no obligation to resign for that. But the thing that *does* oblige him to resign is lying to Parliament, under the ministerial code. So "breaking the law" is in fact a distraction from the resigning offence.
    Lawmakers can not be lawbreakers, so that is a resigning offence.

Lying to Parliament has not been proven. It doesn't need to be though, lawmakers can not be lawbreakers.
    1. "I did not attend a party"
    2. Fined for attending a party
    3. Q.E.D.

Proven.
    2. Fined for attending a party breaking the law.

Fines have nothing to do with parties, it has to do with the law. Lawbreaking does not require parties.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,583

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Lying to Parliament has not been proven. It doesn't need to be though, lawmakers can not be lawbreakers.
    Excellent principle, they certainly shouldn't, but the empirical evidence is that they can... at least until the next election.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150

Nigelb said:

1. Its Covid. You aren't allowed to gather socially. Hence 50 and counting fines issues
    2. Its clearly not work. I have eaten cake at work before. I have had birthday gatherings at work before. You aren't working at that point
    3. They sang "Happy Birthday" over the cake. Ask any child what a birthday party looks like and its a load of your friends in a room singing Happy Birthday over the cake.

OK, so it wasn't Bunga Bunga like the one where Big Dog Liar waves his can of vaguely beer at the camera. But it clearly was not a work event. Sunak should have known better.
    Sorry but that's utter bollocks.

If you gather for work purposes then having a slice of cake and singing happy birthday during your work meeting is not a party and was not against the law either. People who needed to be gathered together for required work purposes were entitled to eat and talk.
    The Metropolitan Police clearly disagree.
    And - extraordinarily - the CPS. Belt and braces.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

Putin dragged Lukashenko to a cosmodrome in far eastern Russia for this. He claims he has secret information about how mysterious “Englishmen” staged a “provocation” in Bucha. Not clear if he means the whole thing is fake or if they murdered hundreds and pretended Russia did it

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1513877588971855886

'Provocation' might refer to this:
    Russia is planning to commit a terrorist act by blowing down residential buildings on its own territory. It is also planning to commit a missile-aircraft attack on Belgorod (Russia) or one of the cities in the occupied Crimea in order to blame Ukraine — Ukrainian Intelligence
    https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1513857674580004870
  • Options

Postal votes land on doormats early next week (and this week in Scotland, I think). Just saying.

Mine arrived on Monday.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,341

Nigelb said:

1. Its Covid. You aren't allowed to gather socially. Hence 50 and counting fines issues
    2. Its clearly not work. I have eaten cake at work before. I have had birthday gatherings at work before. You aren't working at that point
    3. They sang "Happy Birthday" over the cake. Ask any child what a birthday party looks like and its a load of your friends in a room singing Happy Birthday over the cake.

OK, so it wasn't Bunga Bunga like the one where Big Dog Liar waves his can of vaguely beer at the camera. But it clearly was not a work event. Sunak should have known better.

If you gather for work purposes then having a slice of cake and singing happy birthday during your work meeting is not a party and was not against the law either. People who needed to be gathered together for required work purposes were entitled to eat and talk.
    So the Old Bill are talking through their hats. BigDog and Rishi Rich need top fight this injustice through the courts!

Nigelb said:

Ignorance is no defence!

"I was totally unaware I was supposed to drive on the left hand side of the road therefore I should not be prosecuted with a charge of death by dangerous driving despite sending a dozen cyclists to meet their maker".

Guilty as charged!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    And we have a winner.....

BREAKING Conservative MP Sir Roger Gale says now is not the time to “unseat” the Prime Minister.
    This is significant as Gale was one of the first critics of Boris Johnson over #partygate.
    If he does not want the PM to quit, others will be reluctant to break cover.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1513881947747016710
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The Metropolitan Police clearly disagree.
    The Metropolitan Police are investing lawbreaking, not parties.

So they agree with me, it is the law that is at stake here, not parties.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    "Sweden’s inconvenient Covid victory
    Were millions of people denied freedom for nothing?
    BY JOHAN ANDERBERG"

https://unherd.com/2022/04/swedens-inconvenient-covid-victory/
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Okay. So your boyz can simply loudly and proudly announce they're not paying the fixed penalty notices, and they'll take their chances in court wielding the sword of justice and trusty shield of British fair play. And bloody good luck to them.
  • Options
    Sarah Jane Mee of Sky has said that the response to them from the public is evenly split on Boris resigning
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Should not, I agree- morally, they should resign for that; especially in this case. But this government and most of the parliamentary party has proven that it doesn't give a fig for that. They all knew they had done wrong and hoped to get away with it.

But there is a specific requirement in the ministerial code to resign if you have been found to have been lying to parliament. This is as clear a case of that as you will ever see.
    While it is, I am sure we are about to discover that it isn't. Words are a wonderful thing, as is the effluxion of time.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

Sarah Jane Mee of Sky has said that the response to them from the public is evenly split on Boris resigning

Better than expected, if that holds he survives
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

BREAKING Conservative MP Sir Roger Gale says now is not the time to “unseat” the Prime Minister.
    This is significant as Gale was one of the first critics of Boris Johnson over #partygate.

"Now is not the time" arf.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    Andy_JS said:

"Sweden’s inconvenient Covid victory
    Were millions of people denied freedom for nothing?
    BY JOHAN ANDERBERG"

https://unherd.com/2022/04/swedens-inconvenient-covid-victory/

Not that bollocks again.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,418
    An honest question for an honest answer:

Of all you right of centre posters on here, which always feels to me like a tidal surge, is there any one of you who does not think the Prime Minister should now resign?

• Options
    Russia is planning terrorist attacks on its own territory and in the occupied Crimea in order to blame Ukraine for them 'to boost anti-Ukrainian hysteria', head of Ukraine's defence intelligence Budanov said today. Belgorod and cities in Crimea can be bombed from the air, he said

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1513857950296723458
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Okay. So your boyz can simply loudly and proudly announce they're not paying the fixed penalty notices, and they'll take their chances in court wielding the sword of justice and trusty shield of British fair play. And bloody good luck to them.
    How many times do I need to say it, I've said the law has been broken.

The law was not to do with "parties" though. The law can be broken, without parties having happened or attended, because the law was so draconian - which I was objecting to at the time this was happening.

He should go because of the law. Parties are neither here, nor there, nor proven, nor is lying. Lawbreaking is.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    Someone posted on here this morning that they were so old they remember Sue Grey being a thing.

They've dragged her back now - as cover. yet again:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    14m
    Suspect this will be the line as here come the loyalists. Is Sue Gray is the new rubicon for backbenchers?

Darren Henry MP #ServingBroxtowe
    @DarrenG_Henry
    · 19m
    It is right that those who break rules are punished. Due to the Prime Minister’s and the Chancellor’s public facing roles I expect a public apology.

As I previously stated, I am not going to make my final statement until the full Sue Gray Report is released.
  • Options

Settles it for now. Gale has for ages be an arch anti-Boris cheerleader

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

And in 3 months time it's "perhaps he might have resigned at the time, but it is now water under the bridge..."
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522
    edited April 2022
    algarkirk said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

An obligation is only an obligation insofar as it is enforceable. SFAICS no-one has the power the enforce this one. So, in the modern world, an obligation it is not.
    The only power with leverage is that possessed by Tory MPs to force a VONC among the Tory MPs, and the power of the opposition to force a VONC in the House of Commons.

Good luck with both of those.

PS Truss will not be the next leader.

The only wildcard is probably Wallace (and maybe Hunt). If Boris goes there will be pressure for a non-extended leadership contest and the only person who is ready to step into the breach as a holder of a GOOS is, I am afraid to say, Liz Truss.

Who else is there? Patel isn’t going to get it. Rishi is done. Tugenhadt isn’t even a minister. Mordaunt might be a good leader in opposition but has limited cabinet experience. Anyone like Mogg or Dorries is too bonkers even for the Tory party.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Of all you right of centre posters on here, which always feels to me like a tidal surge, is there any one of you who does not think the Prime Minister should now resign?

Depends what the polls say over the next week. If he keeps the Labour lead under 10% he can stay
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

It might not - things like this can take a few days to a week to percolate through to “everyone” knowing it.

I would expect a surprisingly small drop today, and a serious widening of the Labour lead in a few days. Think proper polls, fieldwork more than 3 days from now.
    YouGov just rushed out some questions on it too, after 10 very boring unrelated questions on employment law - obviously a PS to a commissioned poll.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555

Leon said:

Dammit @Leon if your Casa advises on Tripadvisor that it’s open 12 to 10pm it should be bloody well open now..

Is this the castle you used to swim to?

Looks like it

Shame you have iffy weather. Collioure is delightful in the sun
    It was a shame, though my burnt arms and neck would say otherwise. It was still a good place to visit but slightly too touristy for my liking; the streets were packed even on such a gloomy day. I’ve now nearly reached Argelès-Sur-Mer where I’m staying tonight, and my new favourite beer, Cap D’Ona, is brewed. I picked up a couple of bottles from a shop in Collioure and I’m drinking their “Ambrée Triple Bio” which is 7.5% ABV. I’m starting to feel a bit tipsy.. hope the hotel will let me check in!
    Ah, it wasn't too touristy when I was there. But this was about 100 years ago
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Should not, I agree- morally, they should resign for that; especially in this case. But this government and most of the parliamentary party has proven that it doesn't give a fig for that. They all knew they had done wrong and hoped to get away with it.

But there is a specific requirement in the ministerial code to resign if you have been found to have been lying to parliament. This is as clear a case of that as you will ever see.
    While it is, I am sure we are about to discover that it isn't. Words are a wonderful thing, as is the effluxion of time.

And other posters are quite right that there is no means of enforcing this requirement, so it is back to VONC or nothing (as The Moral Dimension ((c) YPM) doesn't come into it.)
  • Options
    Roger Gale, one of Boris's principal critics, has said that now is not the moment as we deal with Ukraine and the refugee crisis bit I do not think the PM will lead us into the next election
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    Nigelb said:

Several people shot and multiple explosives found at New York City subway station

#Brooklyn l #NY
    Police confirm explosive devices are present at the 36th Street station. Several people are down. Trains are being halted.

https://twitter.com/IntelPointAlert/status/1513869148505391108

Hope GardenWalker wasn't caught up in it :/
  • Options

It might not - things like this can take a few days to a week to percolate through to “everyone” knowing it.

I would expect a surprisingly small drop today, and a serious widening of the Labour lead in a few days. Think proper polls, fieldwork more than 3 days from now.
    Very very good point.

It can be like a tsunami: not one instantaneous crashing wave but a huge continuous surge: a wall that increases in force.

That is what happened with Black Wednesday. There was one hit but then a continuous surge as the Labour leads grew over several weeks.

It can take time for a meme to gain momentum.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

YouGov just rushed out some questions on it too, after 10 very boring unrelated questions on employment law - obviously a PS to a commissioned poll.
    How many times have we seen this pattern?

1) something happens
    2) next poll doesn’t show a big move
    3) it’s declared a non-event
    4) the poll averages move a few days later
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Pulpstar said:

And in 3 months time it's "perhaps he might have resigned at the time, but it is now water under the bridge..."
    Johnson is going nowhere.

Sunak might be made to walk after the locals, but he is off anyway to return to the private sector pretty soon.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Pulpstar said:

As ever, Yes Minister nailed it:

https://youtu.be/l6BW-mvkRjE
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,635

Then There’s still the poison of inaction to suffer though, if not sucking it out.

May be the Galeasts think it feeds into May Election bad performance and they put the dog down then with “voters clearly passed their judgement on law breaking Boris. Leaving us no choice.”
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Depends what the polls say over the next week. If he keeps the Labour lead under 10% he can stay
    Your decision is based on opinion polls? That's not the most ethical stance to take :neutral:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Noone's going to bring Boris down now. Well not amongst his own MPs anyway. No critical mass with Ukraine and Rishi trashed now.
  • Options

I have just posted this as well as it is significant in who has said it
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Roger Gale, one of Boris's principal critics, has said that now is not the moment as we deal with Ukraine and the refugee crisis bit I do not think the PM will lead us into the next election

Ukraine will take decades to sort out. This isnt an 'over by summer' thing.
  • Options
    And another "now is not the time":

NEW: Douglas Ross, leader of the Scottish Tories who called on Boris Johnson to resign in February, says "it wouldn't be right to remove the prime minister at this time"

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1513886794269564938
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555
    Ouch

"President @ZelenskyyUa has refused to host #Germany's Head of State.

'Bild' reports that "because of his close ties with Russia" German President Steinmeier would not be welcomed for an official visit to #Kyiv."

https://twitter.com/TWMCLtd/status/1513886299568156676?s=20&t=FYvDkiKO34qr17bG9r31Uw
  • Options

Then There’s still the poison of inaction to suffer though, if not sucking it out.

May be the Galeasts think it feeds into May Election bad performance and they put the dog down then with “voters clearly passed their judgement on law breaking Boris. Leaving us no choice.”
    Maybe they are simply spineless.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

How many times do I need to say it, I've said the law has been broken.

The law was not to do with "parties" though. The law can be broken, without parties having happened or attended, because the law was so draconian - which I was objecting to at the time this was happening.

He should go because of the law. Parties are neither here, nor there, nor proven, nor is lying. Lawbreaking is.
    When Sunak and Johnson denied in Parliament that there were "parties" they clearly weren't saying that, whilst there was lawbreaking, there was no "party" within their own personal definition of the term. They were saying the rules were followed. Nobody in their right mind, either at the time or now, interpretted it as being a debate about exactly how much cake and how many party poppers constitutes a "party".

Your argument is therefore utterly ludicrous.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,395
    HYUFD said:

If the Labour lead is less than 10% that will be an OK result for Boris after today
    i salute your indefatability.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Your decision is based on opinion polls? That's not the most ethical stance to take :neutral:
    If the Labour leads is 10.1%+, I am assuming HYUFD will be firing up the torch, grabbing the pitch-fork and calling for his resignation.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723
    Check news...

Read headline...

Cheshire Cat grin!

The Truss must be getting very excited this afternoon.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Heathener said:

Very very good point.

It can be like a tsunami: not one instantaneous crashing wave but a huge continuous surge: a wall that increases in force.

That is what happened with Black Wednesday. There was one hit but then a continuous surge as the Labour leads grew over several weeks.

It can take time for a meme to gain momentum.
    LOL, but not with Keir Starmer in charge.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I can guarantee it is what most Tory MPs will be basing their decision on though.

Boris was not made Tory leader and PM as he was a man of great ethics and morality but as polls showed he could win a general election.

He could be removed from No 10 as much as he went to No 10 based on the polls and the voters' verdict of him
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,341

The precedent Mr Johnson sets if he does not resign for misleading Parliament which is now the key charge, and proven if the fines are accepted and not challenged, is outrageous. It allows any Minister or future Prime Minister can tell any old bollocks to Parliament without fear of the ultimate sanction.

I don't believe Mr Sunak has made that same grave error of misleading the House, nonetheless he now has a moral duty to go too. That would also put Mr Johnson under greater pressure. I wonder whether the removal vans at No 11 pre-empted his departure on the grounds of Partygate?

The Ministerial Code, Parliament and the Office of Prime Minister will be in disrepute if Johnson stays.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,097
    HYUFD said:

Russia moves military equipment and missile systems to the Finnish border as it warns Finland not to join NATO

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10710541/Russia-moves-military-equipment-Finnish-border-warning-Finland-not-join-NATO.html

Because threatening them will encourage them not to join a defensive alliance?
  • Options
    The 30% is what Tory MPs in the top 150 targets should be worrying about.

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1513866373398736898?s=20&t=2O54bpf73Cjd2KTDS-XaLA
  • Options

The precedent Mr Johnson sets if he does not resign for misleading Parliament which is now the key charge, and proven if the fines are accepted and not challenged, is outrageous. It allows any Minister or future Prime Minister can tell any old bollocks to Parliament without fear of the ultimate sanction.

I don't believe Mr Sunak has made that same grave error of misleading the House, nonetheless he now has a moral duty to go too. That would also put Mr Johnson under greater pressure. I wonder whether the removal vans at No 11 pre-empted his departure on the grounds of Partygate?

The Ministerial Code, Parliament and the Office of Prime Minister will be in disrepute if Johnson stays.
    Tony Blair
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I hope Johnson does stay.

Then this REALLY is going to be 1997 all over again. No Starmer isn't Blair but the country isn't in the mood for schmaltz anyway so a serious man for serious times will do the job just, well, I was going to say just 'fine' but maybe that's not the best word right now.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

And another "now is not the time":

NEW: Douglas Ross, leader of the Scottish Tories who called on Boris Johnson to resign in February, says "it wouldn't be right to remove the prime minister at this time"

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1513886794269564938

I hope he doesn't do his refereeing and his VAR stuff like that. Imagine calling someone up 15 mins after a yellowcard and saying 'By the way, forget it, doesn't count now'.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,176
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

For an alleged Christian you have a remarkably transactional approach to the notion of right and wrong.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Russia moves military equipment and missile systems to the Finnish border as it warns Finland not to join NATO

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10710541/Russia-moves-military-equipment-Finnish-border-warning-Finland-not-join-NATO.html

Because threatening them will encourage them not to join a defensive alliance?
    Putin has learnt nothing.

And what equipment? They moved everything on wheels into Ukraine as they have lost so much kit.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

For an alleged Christian you have a remarkably transactional approach to the notion of right and wrong.
    Christianity is based on forgiveness as much as Old Testament condemnation, provided the perpetrator shows remorse
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    For the Prime Minister and Chancellor to be fined while parliament is in recess and cannot be held to account by MPs is extraordinary. The Met Police are literally a law unto themselves

https://mobile.twitter.com/Peston/status/1513867077110714378

Twattish even for Peston. There's a very good reason why there is no precedent for the procedure to be followed when the PM and Chancellor are simultaneously charged with a crime.
  • Options
    Russian invading Finland surely is the start of WWIII?

• Options
    Heathener said:

I hope Johnson does stay.

Then this REALLY is going to be 1997 all over again. No Starmer isn't Blair but the country isn't in the mood for schmaltz anyway so a serious man for serious times will do the job just, well, I was going to say just 'fine' but maybe that's not the best word right now.

Starmer has all the charisma of cold dishwater
  • Options
    All the public letter-writers seem to be publicly saying "now is not the time" even before the Cabinet have to respond.

I wonder what @Tissue_Price thinks?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Unfortunately, as others have noted, lying to Parliament hasn't caused resignations in the past. What needs to be done is set a new precedent.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

In HYUFD's defence (not that he needs my help!), he often veers from what he thinks, to the logical conclusion of an argument he has made (which is not necessarily what he actually thinks), to a real-politik assessment of what he thinks is going to happen. I sometimes find it difficult to trace which phase we are in.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Christianity is based on forgiveness as much as Old Testament condemnation, provided the perpetrator shows remorse
    Trouble is that Mr Johnson, as with the ethics arrangements in HMG, is de facto boss of the extramural ethics dept aka the C of E.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

No, that would be Russia invading the Baltic States, Norway or Poland which already are in NATO
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Of course, if Sunak was any good at politics he would resign.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I can guarantee it is what most Tory MPs will be basing their decision on though.

Boris was not made Tory leader and PM as he was a man of great ethics and morality but as polls showed he could win a general election.

He could be removed from No 10 as much as he went to No 10 based on the polls and the voters' verdict of him
    Andrew Bridgen also saying now is not the time to topple the PM

Sky saying while the opposition are understandably seeking the PM resignation, the conservative party seem to be saying not at this time and hand Putin a win

Parliament will not be recalled
  • Options
    Heathener said:

A troll question[...]

FTFY.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Trouble is that Mr Johnson, as with the ethics arrangements in HMG, is de facto boss of the extramural ethics dept aka the C of E.
    Mr Johnson is a Roman Catholic not C of E
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,583

[Angus Deayton voice:]

So no change there, then.

Seriously- since Summer 2019, BoJo has been gently boiling that frog perfectly until there is nothing left but frog soup.
  • Options

Tony Blair
    Wash your mouth out! Dear me. Never heard such language.
  • Options
    I agree with Mark Drakeford.

https://twitter.com/PrifWeinidog
    Mark Drakeford
    @PrifWeinidog
    ·
    7m
    You can’t be a law-maker and a law-breaker. The Prime Minister has denied time and again that he did anything wrong.

He has clearly broken the laws he made and asked people to follow. People are angry and upset. I don’t see how someone in this position can carry on.

Law maker and law breaker is the issue. Not "parties" or anything said in Parliament.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Heathener said:

A troll question[...]

FTFY.

What a dickhead
  • Options

And here's your regular reminder that the UK changed PMs on the day Bucharest fell to the Kaiser, and the day Hitler invaded France (as well as while forces massed for the first Gulf War).

Without wishing to diminish the importance of the war in Ukraine and Britain's role as a (significant) non-combatant, the idea from Tory MPs that we can't possibly change PMs now is as ignorant of history as it is utterly spineless.
    I have reluctantly concluded that if Johnson was the one who was just convicted of molesting a 15 year old he would probably ride it out
  • Options

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

3. Q.E.D.

Proven.

Fines have nothing to do with parties, it has to do with the law. Lawbreaking does not require parties.
    The party was the gathering that was illegal. If it had been considered a work meeting there would have been no fine. It was not work according to the police. Because of cake and "Happy Birthday"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

He's following the eleventh commandment: "Thou shalt not become a liability in the polls."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Better than expected, if that holds he survives
    Frit
  • Options

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

3. Q.E.D.

Proven.

The party was the gathering that was illegal. If it had been considered a work meeting there would have been no fine. It was not work according to the police. Because of cake and "Happy Birthday"
    That doesn't prove it was a party, it proves the law was broken. As I said all along.

You can break the law even without a party.
  • Options

Of course Johnson will not resign. Of course Tory MPs will not force him to. That would involve a level of patriotism and respect for democracy that we all know neither possess.

Yep. They possess neither the warmth nor the depth...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

For the Prime Minister and Chancellor to be fined while parliament is in recess and cannot be held to account by MPs is extraordinary. The Met Police are literally a law unto themselves

https://mobile.twitter.com/Peston/status/1513867077110714378

Twattish even for Peston. There's a very good reason why there is no precedent for the procedure to be followed when the PM and Chancellor are simultaneously charged with a crime.

He's right though. This first thing I thought on hearing the news was that the Met had been leant on to announce this during easter recess.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Johnson destroys everything he goes near.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

All the public letter-writers seem to be publicly saying "now is not the time" even before the Cabinet have to respond.

I wonder what @Tissue_Price thinks?

If not now, when ?
    Funny none of them seem to have addressed that.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,176

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

He's following the eleventh commandment: "Thou shalt not become a liability in the polls."
    For HYUFD it is the first and only commandment apparently.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,030
    Would an election be cancelled under the guise of now is not the time .

Surely having a leader that the public can trust is important at this time . The Tory MPs are a spineless bunch and will continue to avoid doing the right thing .
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Looks to me as if the responses have all been prepared, as part of the grand strategy which also saw the defenestration of Rishi Sunak.

What Boris has failed to understand is the public mood. This kind of thing plays out very badly indeed.

It just makes 2024 more catastrophic. Don't say you were not warned and, god willing, I shall be around here on results night not to gloat but to reflect rather sadly that a once great party could have come to this.
  • Options

Check news...

Read headline...

Cheshire Cat grin!

The Truss must be getting very excited this afternoon.

Is she organising another photoshoot?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Applicant said:

Heathener said:

A troll question[...]

FTFY.

What a dickhead
    "Dickhead" is the person who misused the spam flag against the express instructions of @PBModerator.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    CatMan said:

Nigelb said:

Several people shot and multiple explosives found at New York City subway station

#Brooklyn l #NY
    Police confirm explosive devices are present at the 36th Street station. Several people are down. Trains are being halted.

https://twitter.com/IntelPointAlert/status/1513869148505391108

Hope GardenWalker wasn't caught up in it :/
    I’m fine. It’s in Brooklyn, albeit a vaguely middle-class part.

No deaths. Suspect still at large, I think.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Boris doesn't know what remorse means.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Applicant said:

Heathener said:

A troll question[...]

FTFY.

What a dickhead
    Yes. I don't normally involve myself in disputes between other posters, but that is quite exceptional dickheadery.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No, that would be Russia invading the Baltic States, Norway or Poland which already are in NATO
    Russia invading Finland would be WW111 at that moment and you really do not understand geopolitical politics at all
  • Options

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

mwadams said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

3. Q.E.D.

Proven.

That doesn't prove it was a party, it proves the law was broken. As I said all along.

You can break the law even without a party.
    As entertaining as the pinhead dancing is, shall we split it down the middle?

It was illegal to gather indoors if not for essential work. The Met decreed this was not work, thus the fines. Whether it was a party or not, the presence of a birthday cake and singing of Happy Birthday was the evidence taken into consideration that this was not work.

Don't think said pinhead dancing will wash with the public should he try to defend the party sorry non-work gathering with cake and singing.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

PM, Chancellor to get FPN according to BBC.

Two rounds of toast.
    Possibly PM Wallace or Javid or Truss by the end of the summer if true.

Though depends on how bad the polling and local election losses turn out to be for the Tories as to whether Johnson and Sunak survive
    Direct question. The Prime Minister deliberately mislead the House. Repeatedly.

Do you think he should follow the Ministerial Code and resign?
    Blair did not resign after misleading the House over WMD.
    Thatcher/Belgrano?
    What did she mislead the house about?
    Absolutely nothing. The Belgrano was part of a pincer movement that was a threat to the task force. The decision to sink was a tough one but militarily correct. The loss of life was exacerbated by the supporting Argentine vessels fleeing the scene.
    I never understood the fuss about the Belgrano. Wars are not won by playing nice.
    The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility.

Quite so.
    So, Bucha is ok?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Mr Johnson is a Roman Catholic not C of E
    Only out of convenience
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Applicant said:

Heathener said:

Applicant said:

Heathener said:

A troll question[...]

FTFY.

What a dickhead
    "Dickhead" is the person who misused the spam flag against the express instructions of @PBModerator.
    I don't think anyone who completely changes a person's words in a quote is in any position to give a lecture on instructions from @PBModerator.

Which is why you are a dickhead.
  • Options
    Has anyone actually said that the Boris FPN is for the birthday cake/gathering/party, or is everyone just jumping to conclusions on that?
This discussion has been closed.