Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson being CON leader at next election – a good bet? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,251
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

I see the workers are finding out what global buccaneering Britain is all about, and why they need a decent union.

Would being in the EU have made any difference though? Happy to be shown I’m wrong about that.
    I took Foxy to mean trade union…
    Correct.
    Well yebbut "global buccaneering Britain" is an implied ref to EU membership, no?
    No, it is the style of Brexit. There are others, that actually do protect the workers and farmers rather than shaft them for a quick buck.
    Would being in the EU have made a difference?
    I believe there would have been a compulsory consultation period. More important though is a government that believes protection of workers is not just red tape.
    I think there still is, hence the ‘offer’ is 13 weeks pay in lieu of this.
    I hate what they are doing, but I don’t see evidence that the ability to do it is linked to Brexit. Happy to be shown I’m wrong, genuinely.
    It is all part of the shafting of the working class brexit voters by the free marketeering Brexiteers.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

I see the workers are finding out what global buccaneering Britain is all about, and why they need a decent union.

Would being in the EU have made any difference though? Happy to be shown I’m wrong about that.
    Correct.
    Well yebbut "global buccaneering Britain" is an implied ref to EU membership, no?
    No, it is the style of Brexit. There are others, that actually do protect the workers and farmers rather than shaft them for a quick buck.
    I believe there would have been a compulsory consultation period. More important though is a government that believes protection of workers is not just red tape.
    I hate what they are doing, but I don’t see evidence that the ability to do it is linked to Brexit. Happy to be shown I’m wrong, genuinely.
    It is all part of the shafting of the working class brexit voters by the free marketeering Brexiteers.
    That’s not evidence of a legal change.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    That’s not evidence of a legal change.
  • Options
    Apols about the multiple posts. No idea what happened. Been a long day...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Are you really claiming that fire and rehire sprung up after Brexit or that it only happens in the UK? Companies do it all over the world and the employees should refuse to be rehired and force the company onto the open market.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited March 2022
    I think @Flatlander may have had a point earlier.
    This P+O thing could have been perfectly designed by an enemy State.
    Cuts off a vital transport link. Sympathy for Union action. Boosts inflation. Causes public discontent. Distracts government and media.
    Who made this decision? And who, exactly, are these agency crews?
    IANAL. Is it legal to handcuff people?
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    It’s all about Brexit for some folk.
    but the line about 'buccaneering britian' is all brexit. they brought it up
    Who is this ‘they’ of whom you speak? Would their collective description rhyme with bemoaners?
    no. Foxy, the person who made the first utterance in this.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Are you really claiming that fire and rehire sprung up after Brexit or that it only happens in the UK? Companies do it all over the world and the employees should refuse to be rehired and force the company onto the open market.
    But it isn't re-hire, is it?
    An entirely new workforce has already been recruited and were on standby.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Nigelb said:

This lady was in the Mariupol theatre when orcs dropped two massive bombs on it. “How many people were there?” “Around 800, maybe 100 got out, that’s it.” “Everyone else is under the rubble?” “Yeah, the main impact was on the stage, there were very many people underneath”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/juliaskripkaser/status/1504523793817116685

Orcs? Is Putin Sauron himself, or just the Witch King?
    In several languages the invading Russians have been referred to as Orcs from the beginning. Especially in Lithuania, for some reason.

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko
    Well, okay then.
    In the last hours before the new war, I imagined Ukraine as Shire, and the U.S. and the UK as Gondor and Rohan.
    I guess the roles have changed after 11 days of war.
    Mordor and Isengard are still in the same places tho.
    8:25 AM · Mar 6, 2022·Twitter for Mac
    https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1500387062238920704
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,289
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

OMFG she did it. The not-at-all-drunk, totally compos mentis Pelosi read out a poem by Bono "for Ukraine". Then she giggled

There is not enough cringe in the world to cover this

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1504525471572189186?s=20&t=kbEeOhl4o5qZ3aQ2AxNSQg

"Bono has been a very Irish part of our lives"
    Love the way the fat baldy completely ignores her in favour of stuffing his face. Also up for debate: Pelosi's hair - dye or wig?
    Did you get the urge to leap forward and rip the poem from her hands, before she started reading? I did, and I'm 10,000 miles away and watching it on Twitter

How come no one told her This isn't such a great idea?
    My entirely non-demented 90 y.o. aunt told me a week or so ago that the greatest benefit of getting old, is not giving a toss what anyone thinks. If you *are* demented and also think that, Pelosi is what you end up as. Not great.
    Yes, I don't think there is now any question mark over Pelosi being "just a bit forgetful"

She's proper batshit crazy. And she is third in the American chain-of-command, behind the stammering Biden and the giggling Harris

With Trump waiting for his second chance

God Help Us All, this is the nation that leads the West
    Isn't Zelensky the new leader of the free world?
    He seems most up for defending our values and freedoms at the moment.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    But as I keep asking, almost hyfudlike, has something changed after Brexit which made this possible, or could it have happened if we had stayed?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,534
    carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    EU law was copy&pasted into British law, no? So either we have changed something already, or the copy&pasting was flawed, or it’s not related.
    The reason you don't usually get the outrage level is that the process goes like this -

1) Factory gets told no more orders
    2) Factory closes
    3) Factory in Eastern Europe gets more orders. Or factory staffed with cheaper workers, up the road.

The difference here is that the workplace is the same.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Even then, it's not exactly a new development is it? Companies sacking workers then bringing in cheaper labour is a time honoured tradition of the vulture capitalist. The failure has been in allowing these vultures to buy up swathes of key UK industry unchecked over the past 30 years. Asda is going to be the next big failure.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    But as I keep asking, almost hyfudlike, has something changed after Brexit which made this possible, or could it have happened if we had stayed?
    I don’t believe there has been any change to labour law since Brexit.
  • Options
    P&O Cruises - apparently nothing to do with P&O Ferries - must be having a mare.
  • Options
    I want to know what Bob Geldof's playing at..

His poem better be a fucking epic.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    There hasn't, we're still 100% aligned.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Even then, it's not exactly a new development is it? Companies sacking workers then bringing in cheaper labour is a time honoured tradition of the vulture capitalist. The failure has been in allowing these vultures to buy up swathes of key UK industry unchecked over the past 30 years. Asda is going to be the next big failure.
    Didn't a lot of voters vote Brexit in order to stop being laid off and under cut by foreign workers?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    Fantastic match Leicester vs Rennes, Leicester still in Europe, albeit only just!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Which is my point.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,231
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Didn't a lot of voters vote Brexit in order to stop being laid off and under cut by foreign workers?

I wonder under which law the new workers have been arranged. Something specifically maritime?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

OMFG she did it. The not-at-all-drunk, totally compos mentis Pelosi read out a poem by Bono "for Ukraine". Then she giggled

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1504525471572189186?s=20&t=kbEeOhl4o5qZ3aQ2AxNSQg

Love the way the fat baldy completely ignores her in favour of stuffing his face. Also up for debate: Pelosi's hair - dye or wig?
    Did you get the urge to leap forward and rip the poem from her hands, before she started reading? I did, and I'm 10,000 miles away and watching it on Twitter

My entirely non-demented 90 y.o. aunt told me a week or so ago that the greatest benefit of getting old, is not giving a toss what anyone thinks. If you *are* demented and also think that, Pelosi is what you end up as. Not great.
    Yes, I don't think there is now any question mark over Pelosi being "just a bit forgetful"

She's proper batshit crazy. And she is third in the American chain-of-command, behind the stammering Biden and the giggling Harris

And saint.

"Ireland's sorrow and pain
    Is now the Ukraine
    And Saint Patrick's name now Zelenskyy."
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,404
    dixiedean said:

I think @Flatlander may have had a point earlier.
    This P+O thing could have been perfectly designed by an enemy State.
    Cuts off a vital transport link. Sympathy for Union action. Boosts inflation. Causes public discontent. Distracts government and media.
    Who made this decision? And who, exactly, are these agency crews?
    IANAL. Is it legal to handcuff people?

It really shouldn't be, but since when did the law and the agencies of the state intervene to enforce the law to the benefit of the little people?

It will be left to the Union to launch a legal action, and they'll be lucky to get any money out of the no doubt Byzantine ownership structure created, even if they do have a judgment in their favour in two or three years time.

The contrast with the squatters turfed out of the oligarch's mansion says it all.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

Maybe, but either way we're 100% aligned with EU employment law. If this is a legal move then Brexit has made precisely zero difference. Your implication that this is a result of Brexit is bullshit, much like everything else you say on the subject.
  • Options
    Chris Williamson continues to prove himself way worse than cousin Sir Gavin

Harry's Place
    @hurryupharry
    ·
    4pm
    Last night Chris Williamson's Resist Movement held a meeting entitled 'Zionism in Ukraine'.

David Miller and Tony Greenstein spoke of Jews and Nazis for an hour. Sian Bloor (Google her and Rothschilds) ran the meeting.
    #RussiaUkraineWar

SIAN BLOOR of Chris Williamson's weird Resist Movement asks Tony Greenstein (of all people) "Why there is this collaboration of Nazis and a Jewish President?"

GREENSTEIN: "Zelenskyy is acting to Kosher the neo-Nazis, you know he is the ideal poster boy for the Azov battalion."

MILLER: "The Ukrainian military have been trained by IDF people in their training schools inc near Dnipro and of course many Israelis have arrived to fight on the Ukrainian side according to Israeli press reports"

Miller thinks this is a negative!
    😆😂🤣

Lizzie isn't happy "Israel giving respite to people, to Jews, coming from Ukraine, are able to travel to Israel and they're sending jets to pick them up!"

"So that they can become settler colonists" Miller says

Greenstein jokes: "unlike the Ethiopian Jews they're high quality"

https://twitter.com/hurryupharry/status/1504474819726745612
  • Options

I want to know what Bob Geldof's playing at..

His poem better be a fucking epic.

Well, he did write "Rat trap" and Mr Putin likes a rat story.
  • Options

P&O Cruises - apparently nothing to do with P&O Ferries - must be having a mare.

I think they are part of Carnival cruises but I could be wrong
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429

Foxy said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

And saint.

Is now the Ukraine
    The full poem needs to be read, in cold blood, to appreciate the entirety of the horror

"is this literally the worst poem ever written?"

https://twitter.com/glentickle/status/1504545936994885634?s=20&t=kbEeOhl4o5qZ3aQ2AxNSQg

It actually begins

"Oh St Patrick he drove out the snakes"

And gets worse and worse from there
  • Options

Harry's Place
    @hurryupharry
    ·
    4pm
    Last night Chris Williamson's Resist Movement held a meeting entitled 'Zionism in Ukraine'.

David Miller and Tony Greenstein spoke of Jews and Nazis for an hour. Sian Bloor (Google her and Rothschilds) ran the meeting.
    #RussiaUkraineWar

SIAN BLOOR of Chris Williamson's weird Resist Movement asks Tony Greenstein (of all people) "Why there is this collaboration of Nazis and a Jewish President?"

GREENSTEIN: "Zelenskyy is acting to Kosher the neo-Nazis, you know he is the ideal poster boy for the Azov battalion."

MILLER: "The Ukrainian military have been trained by IDF people in their training schools inc near Dnipro and of course many Israelis have arrived to fight on the Ukrainian side according to Israeli press reports"

😆😂🤣

Lizzie isn't happy "Israel giving respite to people, to Jews, coming from Ukraine, are able to travel to Israel and they're sending jets to pick them up!"

Totally deranged. Simply appalling.
    These are the people Corbyn surrounded himself with.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Thompsons Solicitors
    @ThompsonsLaw
    [2/3] The law states that if you’re dismissing more than 20 employees, you must consult with them. The larger the number of employees being dismissed, the longer the consultation should be – up to 45 days.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,595
    edited March 2022

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Which is my point.
    C4 news devoted an extraordinary amount of time to this but succeeded only in sharing indignation and ignorance. Instead of 15 minutes of bombast they could have given us 5 minutes of an interview with a decent employment lawyer to set the scene.

Unions exist so that the membership has access to top quality legal assistance in matters like this P+O scandal. The top trade union work firms like Thompsons have people who know this stuff, as do lots of top barristers like John Hendy. Interview them instead of a bunch of no nothing MPs and hangers on.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,112
    In recent weeks, I've often talked with @bbclysedoucet early evening in Kyiv. And I've wanted to know about the beautiful dome that's always behind her. Just now I asked and Lyse's answer captured how this war competes with the rhythm of life as it was. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1504547815850139656/video/1
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

And saint.

Is now the Ukraine
    The full poem needs to be read, in cold blood, to appreciate the entirety of the horror

https://twitter.com/glentickle/status/1504545936994885634?s=20&t=kbEeOhl4o5qZ3aQ2AxNSQg

It actually begins

Bono really has been shit since 1992.

That’s a loooooong time to be clogging up the u-bend of celebrity.
  • Options
    Here we go now...

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    7m
    Moldova has called on Russia to withdraw it troops from Transnistria.

President Maia Sandu demanded a “complete and unconditional withdrawal of Russian forces” from the unrecognized breakaway region during yesterday’s UN General Assembly meeting.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758
    edited March 2022
    Been away for a few hours, what became of those Russian government planes that were flying east then west?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    I don't think it's Brexit. It's capitalism working as designed - the employers are optimising by finding non-union staff from poorer countries willing to work for less.

As soon as globalisation took hold, I predicted that this sort of thing would become routine, though as MaxPB says it's more usually by a business reopening somewhere poorer (cf. the manufacturing industry and China). In a very crude way, it redistributes money from poorer people in rich countries to (a) employers and (b) poorer people in poorer countries.

My view, of course, is that the process needs to be balanced by intervenionist governments, who tax the employers on local turnover (none of this "Haha, we're based in the Virgin Islands" stuff), require lengthy notice, subsidise retraining, and support low-paid workers and the unemployed. Globalisation shouldn't be stopped, but it should be constrained by minimum conditions, with tax havens subject to sanctions. The process shouldn't be stopped, but it should be made slow and expensive, so that people affected can be helped, with obstacles imposed on companies that try to circumvent the rules.

Will the Conservatives do more than say "Tsk!" and move on? Of course not. They see the system working as they expect, and are just a bit embarrassed that it's so obvious in this case.
    The conservative mp who chairs the transport select committee seemed pretty hacked off and in full agreement the labour mp who was featured before him.
    It sounds pretty shocking at the moment, so hopefully a lot can be done.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    I don't think it's Brexit. It's capitalism working as designed - the employers are optimising by finding non-union staff from poorer countries willing to work for less.

As soon as globalisation took hold, I predicted that this sort of thing would become routine, though as MaxPB says it's more usually by a business reopening somewhere poorer (cf. the manufacturing industry and China). In a very crude way, it redistributes money from poorer people in rich countries to (a) employers and (b) poorer people in poorer countries.

My view, of course, is that the process needs to be balanced by intervenionist governments, who tax the employers on local turnover (none of this "Haha, we're based in the Virgin Islands" stuff), require lengthy notice, subsidise retraining, and support low-paid workers and the unemployed. Globalisation shouldn't be stopped, but it should be constrained by minimum conditions, with tax havens subject to sanctions. The process shouldn't be stopped, but it should be made slow and expensive, so that people affected can be helped, with obstacles imposed on companies that try to circumvent the rules.

Will the Conservatives do more than say "Tsk!" and move on? Of course not. They see the system working as they expect, and are just a bit embarrassed that it's so obvious in this case.
    The conservative mp who chairs the transport select committee seemed pretty hacked off and in full agreement the labour mp who was featured before him.
    The only shocking aspect I can see is that the workers seem not to have gone through any form of consultation, and the manner of communication was crass.

Otherwise, it’s pretty standard stuff, isn’t it?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429

Been away for a few hours, what became of those Russian government planes that were flying east then west?

Consensus (such as it is) is that it was either a Russian feint, or a drill (or both)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562

Harry's Place
    @hurryupharry
    ·
    4pm

#RussiaUkraineWar

😆😂🤣

Totally deranged. Simply appalling.
    These are the people Corbyn surrounded himself with.
    Not quite accurate. Tony Greenstein was expelled from the Labour Party in 2018, under Corbyn. Admittedly, he should have never been admitted in the first place - he's dreadful.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Yep, good bet imo. Sadly. Been saying so for a long time too tbf to me.

Then we’re truly back in the 1980s when all sensible people spent their time bemoaning the travesty that was the Thatcher government and saw her losing every midterm electoral contest that came along, only to spend GE night in despair as our crooked voting system delivered her another five (usually four) years in office.

Except without the consolidation of the ground-breaking music.
    Could be. But I'm quite bullish on hung parliament and bye bye Bozo.
  • Options

Phil Stewart
    @phildstewart
    ·
    39m
    White House cites 'high concern' that China may provide Russia with weapons - Reuters

https://twitter.com/phildstewart
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

In recent weeks, I've often talked with @bbclysedoucet early evening in Kyiv. And I've wanted to know about the beautiful dome that's always behind her. Just now I asked and Lyse's answer captured how this war competes with the rhythm of life as it was. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1504547815850139656/video/1

She is a credit to journalism and an example to many colleagues on how to do it
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

The only shocking aspect I can see is that the workers seem not to have gone through any form of consultation, and the manner of communication was crass.

Yes it seems there is a time limited offer which includes 13 weeks pay in lieu of consultation. One wonders why the company have chosen this route? Hoping for a faint accompli? I hope they get stuffed by the lawyers.
  • Options
    I don't get what Xi is getting now with being aligned with a total whack job who is clearly unhinged.

• Options

You're right. I am sure they will be writing to all their customers soon to make it clear that they are nothing to do with P&O Ferries.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Consensus (such as it is) is that it was either a Russian feint, or a drill (or both)
    Cheers.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

Foxy said:

Weasel words from No 10 too saying how terrible it is blah blah blah but doing SFA to stop it.
    Nobody knew anything about it until this morning

It is utterly wrong and it was good to see that across the HOC there was total condemnation and a desire to work across party lines to address this completely unacceptable position
    Only one party has proposed actual policies to prevent stuff like this from happening. It isn't the Tories.
    The monstrous Corbyn?
  • Options
    He's probably been training Nazis or something

olexander scherba🇺🇦
    @olex_scherba
    #Ukraine’s chief rabbi congratulates on the holiday of #Purim - with the song “My #Kyiv, you are impossible not to love!” … #StandWithUkraine #UkraineRussiaWar #UkraineWillPrevail #НетВойнe #РоссияСмотри
    https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1504540256527433734
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

Yes, they've been made an offer of termination too, I think it's 13 weeks of regular pay. Which actually seems quite generous on the face of it. The communication has been substandard, but the pay off is probably why there's no consultation, it's not redundancy.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,280

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

And saint.

Is now the Ukraine

It actually begins

Bono really has been shit since 1992.

That’s a loooooong time to be clogging up the u-bend of celebrity.
    It’s awful but is it worse than Lewis Hamiltons poetic tribute to Diana
  • Options
    The Wall Street Journal
    @WSJ
    In rural Russia, locals back Putin’s decision to send an army to Ukraine. “I support everything that is for victory and for Putin.”

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1504529265789964288
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    It’s one thing Bono writing that shit, it’s another one Pelosi reading it.

She should have stuck with Yeats, as @Cyclefree could have told her.

Fucking morons the lot of them.

Happy St Patrick’s Day, all.
  • Options

Here we go now...

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    7m

President Maia Sandu demanded a “complete and unconditional withdrawal of Russian forces” from the unrecognized breakaway region during yesterday’s UN General Assembly meeting.

Wondered when that might happen.
  • Options
    From another PB.

If the rumours are true, then he wouldn't be the first Prime Minister to have an awkward godparent situation. Wendi Deng let slip that Tony Blair was godfather to one of Murdoch's daughters. David Cameron remained unhelpfully tied to Michael Gove for years after their bust-up because Sarah Vine is godmother to one of his.

So just a heads up to Boris that he might want to get prepping his lines if he's ever made Evgeny Lebedev an offer to become the spiritual guardian to one of his many, many children. Because one of the broadsheets is currently investigating a claim that he has.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cheers.
    The whole exercise was set up in order to divert PB debate from crucial issues around pineapples. I suspect one of the trolls has been involved.

It seems to have worked as we spent an entire afternoon debating plane movements over the Urals.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

Here we go now...

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    7m

Wondered when that might happen.
    I had a plasterer from Transnistria once.
    Total sleazeball, he made improper suggestions to my wife.

Frankly his plastering wasn’t up to much, either.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

Yes it seems there is a time limited offer which includes 13 weeks pay in lieu of consultation. One wonders why the company have chosen this route? Hoping for a faint accompli? I hope they get stuffed by the lawyers.
    If I am reading the letter Hebblethwaite sent out correctly, then all the staff who have been fired are contracted under the laws of Jersey. Which is presumably less rigorous than UK law (which is hardly rigorous on employee rights).

I think they were probably hoping by taking this course they would get it over and done with quickly while everyone was distracted by Ukraine. In this I suspect they have made an error, particularly in having security guards with covered faces go aboard to use violence and physical restraint to enforce it. This could easily run and run should anyone bring charges of assault.

On a more pertinent point, at a time when there is spare capacity they have just guaranteed lots of negative headlines and unhappy passengers which will not do their bookings any good.

Conclusion - they're very arrogant, extremely nasty and fucking stupid.

That one on the Zoom call just looked incredibly creepy. Like that weirdo with the Nazi tattoos Putin sent into Ukraine.
  • Options

The Wall Street Journal
    @WSJ
    In rural Russia, locals back Putin’s decision to send an army to Ukraine. “I support everything that is for victory and for Putin.”

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1504529265789964288

I’m sure you’d find similar opinions (context appropriate) in Lincolnshire.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cheers.
    The whole exercise was set up in order to divert PB debate from crucial issues around pineapples. I suspect one of the trolls has been involved.

It seems to have worked as we spent an entire afternoon debating plane movements over the Urals.
    Better than discussing plane movements over the South Atlantic, anyway.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,881

Leon said:

Cheers.

At least I didn't have to worry about workign out if I had been nuked as a student in 1981. I'd have noticed by now.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,404
    How do you ever get a decent standard of living for most people if you allow companies to wreck people's careers and livelihoods to drive down wages?

The whole system's a fucking sham, and the only "leader" the Left could find to speak a word against it was a useless idiot who indulged anti-Semitism.

Tear the whole thing down. It's just not good enough.
  • Options
    Bird brained..

Anton Shekhovtsov
    @A_SHEKH0VTS0V
    “Ordinary Russians” warn their neighbours against feeding birds as they are apparently weaponised with diseases originating from 36 US laboratories in Ukraine. #Russia #RussianGuilt

https://twitter.com/A_SHEKH0VTS0V/status/1504553312485576708
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

Scott_xP said:

St Michael the Golden-Domed. Gorgeous. Kyiv has lots of places like it. Pechersk Lavra too. How can Putin claim he is supporting Russian nationalism and target these places? He is deranged and I am in danger of crying into my raki.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

If I am reading the letter Hebblethwaite sent out correctly, then all the staff who have been fired are contracted under the laws of Jersey. Which is presumably less rigorous than UK law (which is hardly rigorous on employee rights).

I think they were probably hoping by taking this course they would get it over and done with quickly while everyone was distracted by Ukraine. In this I suspect they have made an error, particularly in having security guards with covered faces go aboard to use violence and physical restraint to enforce it. This could easily run and run should anyone bring charges of assault.

On a more pertinent point, at a time when there is spare capacity they have just guaranteed lots of negative headlines and unhappy passengers which will not do their bookings any good.

That one on the Zoom call just looked incredibly creepy. Like that weirdo with the Nazi tattoos Putin sent into Ukraine.
    What territory is a P&O ferry? If it's somewhere like Jersey the law could for all I know be more primitive than the UK mainland (or it might be better: doesn't help that I have just been reading the latest Charles Stross novel, which in part hinges on just this kind of legal distinction between the UK/EU and the CIs).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

Leon said:

Cheers.

The Black Buck stops with HYUFD :lol:
  • Options

Leon said:

Cheers.

The Black Buck stops with HYUFD :lol:
    In Rio de Janeiro? Can't imagine him there.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

It’s one thing Bono writing that shit, it’s another one Pelosi reading it.

She should have stuck with Yeats, as @Cyclefree could have told her.

Fucking morons the lot of them.

Happy St Patrick’s Day, all.

I think some allowance has to be made for very old people thinking Bono is quite the young hipster, helping them to connect with de yoot. Next up, Mick and the boys (the ones left alive) introduce Biden’s state of the union address.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Lyse is part Mi'kmaq
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,112
    Most likely Johnson will now lead the Tories again at the next general election. Not only has he cut the Labour poll lead but Sunak does little better against Starmer than he does anyway
  • Options
    The former Bulgarian PM has just been arrested on grounds of corruption.

Can they do Gerhard Schroeder next?

And then, Boris.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

From another PB.

If the rumours are true, then he wouldn't be the first Prime Minister to have an awkward godparent situation. Wendi Deng let slip that Tony Blair was godfather to one of Murdoch's daughters. David Cameron remained unhelpfully tied to Michael Gove for years after their bust-up because Sarah Vine is godmother to one of his.

So just a heads up to Boris that he might want to get prepping his lines if he's ever made Evgeny Lebedev an offer to become the spiritual guardian to one of his many, many children. Because one of the broadsheets is currently investigating a claim that he has.

If they'd been good Presbyterians life would be so much simpler.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

What territory is a P&O ferry? If it's somewhere like Jersey the law could for all I know be more primitive than the UK mainland (or it might be better: doesn't help that I have just been reading the latest Charles Stross novel, which in part hinges on just this kind of legal distinction between the UK/EU and the CIs).
    Sounds like the most boring novel ever.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Foxy said:

Weasel words from No 10 too saying how terrible it is blah blah blah but doing SFA to stop it.
    If it's illegal, they don't need to do anything to stop it other than have a word with the appropriate regulator.

If it's not illegal, they can't do anything to stop it. Rule of law.
    Er... They could, of course, change the law to prevent it happening again.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

Not necessarily. DavidL of this parish once pointed me to a SF novel which was set in 1960s Glasgow and hinged in part on matters of Scots conveyancing law and, IIRC, feudal duty. I found it on abebooks and read it. Very evocative - though I have not yet asked my English friend and SF collector what he made of it when I sent it on to him.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,292
    HYUFD said:

Most likely Johnson will now lead the Tories again at the next general election. Not only has he cut the Labour poll lead but Sunak does little better against Starmer than he does anyway

Putin cut the Labour poll lead, not Johnson.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Carnyx said:

From another PB.

Murdoch's children had Roman Catholic baptisms, his wife being a Catholic. He also has a Papal Knighthood. His mother was Jewish. His grandfather was even a Presbyterian minister. Johnson is also now a Roman Catholic.

Only Cameron is Church of England
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,360

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

No, there’s Trollope.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

THat's right, people see the comedian in charge in Kyiv and forget it's not the one in No. 10.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

Scott_xP said:

Lyse is part Mi'kmaq
    Just looked her up on Wiki. Bloody hell, she knows what she's doing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Where is he in the odds for next Tory leader?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

From another PB.

Murdoch's children had Roman Catholic baptisms, his wife being a Catholic. Johnson is also now a Roman Catholic.

C of E IS a Catholic church. Incorporates godparents into its rituals. Same problem.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    HYUFD said:

No Tory poll leads for the last three months and 11 days...
  • Options

Applicant said:

Foxy said:

If it's illegal, they don't need to do anything to stop it other than have a word with the appropriate regulator.

If it's not illegal, they can't do anything to stop it. Rule of law.
    Er... They could, of course, change the law to prevent it happening again.
    I don’t think it’s over by a long long way. Hoping for a sensible outcome.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,292

The former Bulgarian PM has just been arrested on grounds of corruption.

Can they do Gerhard Schroeder next?

And then, Boris.

Normal etiquettes, rules, regulations and Acts of Parliament don't apply to Johnson.

The UK is Hazzard County and Johnson is Boss Hogg.
  • Options

The thing about the P&O stuff, forgetting about the legalities of it all etc. is: you can tell from how these things are actually done whether the company knows itself whether it's being a bastard or not.

A 3 minute recorded message is the approach of a company that knows it's being a bastard, a company that knows that it's made a decision to fuck everyone over and then get the hell out of Dodge to not be there when the shit hits the fan.

If it's the right thing to do to save the company, get the fucking board to do a proper live meeting and take the shitty questions they're going to get from every Tom Dick and Harry whose lives they're fucking over that day.

The irony being that after today's debacle the company is probably in a much weaker position to survive the economic headwinds.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,146
    malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

malcolmg said:

Have we done this?

Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, has hit out at Russian “dirty tricks” after being targeted by an impostor posing as the Ukrainian prime minister.

He told The Times that a man pretending to be prime minister Denys Shmyhal on a video call asked him a series of questions which “got wilder and wilder so I ended the call”.

One line of inquiry is that the call was orchestrated by Russian intelligence as an attempt to extract sensitive information from Wallace or as an attempt to embarrass him.

Wallace, a former Scots Guards who was in Poland at the time, ordered an immediate inquiry to find out how the impostor was able to speak to him. It is understood the call lasted less than ten minutes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/impostor-tries-to-dupe-defence-secretary-35rqqkbjw

No, but I don't think it's that outrageous that they were able to speak to him.

What he said, on the other hand...
    not too bright if he got 10 minutes out of him. WTF did he talked to some looney about for nearly ten minutes before discovering he was a fake. Shows the calibre of donkey we have in Westminster.
    I am assuming you are used to your calls being scheduled by your office, and that it was also occurring through a "translator" at one end or the other. I don't think the Minister is to blame.
    PMSL, your excuse for him being an absolute donkey and employing other donkeys to make him look even more donkeyish.
    I'm not saying they are not donkeys. It just sounds like a typical institutional failure.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

From another PB.

Murdoch's children had Roman Catholic baptisms, his wife being a Catholic. Johnson is also now a Roman Catholic.

C of E IS a Catholic church. Incorporates godparents into its rituals. Same problem.
    Even the Presbyterians have adult 'sponsors' of the child being baptised, even if they do not call them godparents
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

“are contracted under the laws of Jersey. Which is presumably less rigorous than UK law (which is hardly rigorous on employee rights).”

Ill informed bollocks but carry on. It’s basically cut and paste from UK law.

Teachers should understand the benefits of researching what they tell people.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

I don't know, and from the little I do know about maritime law it's so Byzantine I doubt if anyone else does either.

However, the Hebblethwaite letter is quoted in full here:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/po-chiefs-letter-over-mass-26495822

This is the passage that seems to me to be key:

As of this morning, we are severing the contracts of all 800 Jersey-contracted seafaring colleagues with immediate effect and will be compensating them for lack of notice with enhanced severance packages.

Now I could be wrong and 'Jersey' could be the name of a subsidiary company. But if a UK company sacks its workers without notice under UK laws for any reason other than imminent bankruptcy ('imminent' meaning 'before the end of the month') it's acting illegally. And if that were the case, the RMT would surely be seeking an injunction against the company for illegal dismissal. The fact they haven't says quite a lot in itself.

Therefore I am assuming that in some technical way P+O Ferries and their staff are not under UK law, and this seems the logical explanation.

If so that raises a much more serious question - how can a company based on UK soil, employing UK nationals, carrying out its operations in the UK, find such a loophole? And should that loophole not be closed? Or was it already closed, in which case P+O ferries may have burned their figures?

But those are arguments for lawyers to ponder later. Right now, it's not a lot of help to those people who have been booted out of work.
    Quite.

On further poking around it seems as if the ships themselves are flagged outwith UK - Bermuda and Cyprus ansd Bahamas and Netherlands for instance. How it is possible to pick and choose between these, UK (mainland) and Jersey laws for employment I have no idea.

But despite what has been indignantly stated by the PBBrexiters it may well be that Brexit has after all played a role in setting the scene, rather to my surprise.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/po-ferries-re-flag-ships-13892057
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/government-seeks-answers-on-irish-routes-as-p-o-ferries-suspends-services-1.4829598
    https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/po-what-new-announcement-mean-6818261
  • Options
    edited March 2022

The thing about the P&O stuff, forgetting about the legalities of it all etc. is: you can tell from how these things are actually done whether the company knows itself whether it's being a bastard or not.

A 3 minute recorded message is the approach of a company that knows it's being a bastard, a company that knows that it's made a decision to fuck everyone over and then get the hell out of Dodge to not be there when the shit hits the fan.

If it's the right thing to do to save the company, get the fucking board to do a proper live meeting and take the shitty questions they're going to get from every Tom Dick and Harry whose lives they're fucking over that day.

Yes there’s a right way and a wrong way. I’ve made people redundant before and I’ve always fronted up and spoken to people. I’ve also always ensured we worked within both the letter and the spirit of the law, and did what we could to look after people. But then I would resign before I was a party to sacking a team and then immediately replacing them with a cheaper one.

Edit - not naive enough to think any of those people don’t think I’m a c**** anyway, but that’s not the point.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

malcolmg said:

Have we done this?

Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, has hit out at Russian “dirty tricks” after being targeted by an impostor posing as the Ukrainian prime minister.

He told The Times that a man pretending to be prime minister Denys Shmyhal on a video call asked him a series of questions which “got wilder and wilder so I ended the call”.

One line of inquiry is that the call was orchestrated by Russian intelligence as an attempt to extract sensitive information from Wallace or as an attempt to embarrass him.

Wallace, a former Scots Guards who was in Poland at the time, ordered an immediate inquiry to find out how the impostor was able to speak to him. It is understood the call lasted less than ten minutes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/impostor-tries-to-dupe-defence-secretary-35rqqkbjw

No, but I don't think it's that outrageous that they were able to speak to him.

What he said, on the other hand...
    not too bright if he got 10 minutes out of him. WTF did he talked to some looney about for nearly ten minutes before discovering he was a fake. Shows the calibre of donkey we have in Westminster.
    I am assuming you are used to your calls being scheduled by your office, and that it was also occurring through a "translator" at one end or the other. I don't think the Minister is to blame.
    PMSL, your excuse for him being an absolute donkey and employing other donkeys to make him look even more donkeyish.
    I'm not saying they are not donkeys. It just sounds like a typical institutional failure.
    Suggested test for Russian bots, if you're a senior government minister.

'Oh, hi Vol, glad you called back. Look, I've been thinking about your suggestion that Putin is invading because he's got such a tiny dick, and I spoke to Dave. He said when Putin was taking a slash next to him in Basle he had to use a pair of tweezers and a microscope to find his dick, so it sounds like...hello?'
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,349

Yes, Carnival bought them way back and runs them as it’s mid-market brand aimed at retired Brits.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

From another PB.

Even the Presbyterians have adult 'sponsors' of the child being baptised, even if they do not call them godparents
    Strictly optional. And they should normally be the parents anyway. They are about as relevant to the core of the service as the orange blossom on a bride's dress is to the marriage.
  • Options
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

“are contracted under the laws of Jersey. Which is presumably less rigorous than UK law (which is hardly rigorous on employee rights).”

I did say 'if.'

But I'm intrigued you think that's copied and pasted from UK employment law. I deal with it very regularly and I've not come across that bit. Where is it?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Laura Kuenssberg Translator
    @BBCLauraKT
    BREAKING: There is a 99.9% chance that when Boris Johnson attended the Lebedev party "with girls" that he was compromised and Russia has the video footage. This theory would explain sooo much lol x
  • Options
    Still not sure there’s a direct connection. But there is this:

In February 2019, P&O Ferries announced that its UK fleet would be reflagged from Dover to Cyprus in response to the UK's exit from the European Union that year for "operational and accounting reasons".
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

I don't know, and from the little I do know about maritime law it's so Byzantine I doubt if anyone else does either.

However, the Hebblethwaite letter is quoted in full here:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/po-chiefs-letter-over-mass-26495822

This is the passage that seems to me to be key:

As of this morning, we are severing the contracts of all 800 Jersey-contracted seafaring colleagues with immediate effect and will be compensating them for lack of notice with enhanced severance packages.

Now I could be wrong and 'Jersey' could be the name of a subsidiary company. But if a UK company sacks its workers without notice under UK laws for any reason other than imminent bankruptcy ('imminent' meaning 'before the end of the month') it's acting illegally. And if that were the case, the RMT would surely be seeking an injunction against the company for illegal dismissal. The fact they haven't says quite a lot in itself.

Therefore I am assuming that in some technical way P+O Ferries and their staff are not under UK law, and this seems the logical explanation.

If so that raises a much more serious question - how can a company based on UK soil, employing UK nationals, carrying out its operations in the UK, find such a loophole? And should that loophole not be closed? Or was it already closed, in which case P+O ferries may have burned their figures?

But those are arguments for lawyers to ponder later. Right now, it's not a lot of help to those people who have been booted out of work.
    Quite.

On further poking around it seems as if the ships themselves are flagged outwith UK - Bermuda and Cyprus ansd Bahamas and Netherlands for instance. How it is possible to pick and choose between these, UK (mainland) and Jersey laws for employment I have no idea.

But despite what has been indignantly stated by the PBBrexiters it may well be that Brexit has after all played a role in setting the scene, rather to my surprise.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/po-ferries-re-flag-ships-13892057
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/government-seeks-answers-on-irish-routes-as-p-o-ferries-suspends-services-1.4829598
    https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/po-what-new-announcement-mean-6818261
    If that is the case that Brexit has played a role then that’s bad. I wa# genuinely trying to get an explanation of how.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.

I did say 'if.'

But I'm intrigued you think that's copied and pasted from UK employment law. I deal with it very regularly and I've not come across that bit. Where is it?
    TBF you presumably were not a teacher on the Oriana, were you? Not so likely to come up in a WM union discussion. But P&O weren't being so arseholey then, either.
This discussion has been closed.