Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson being CON leader at next election – a good bet? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited March 2022 in General
imageJohnson being CON leader at next election – a good bet? – politicalbetting.com

There is a good argument for saying that the 41% on Johnson still being CON leader at the next election is a good value bet. Certainly, there has been a fair amount of turbulence on this market in recent months and now YES is on the rise.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    On the one hand, there will be much more to come out, about everything.

On the other, greased pig. i have virtually bankrupted myself betting against him.

But parties and FPNs are not yet, not a thing. Recency/immediacy bias have made us forget that stuff but it will be back.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited March 2022
    Have we done this?

Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, has hit out at Russian “dirty tricks” after being targeted by an impostor posing as the Ukrainian prime minister.

He told The Times that a man pretending to be prime minister Denys Shmyhal on a video call asked him a series of questions which “got wilder and wilder so I ended the call”.

One line of inquiry is that the call was orchestrated by Russian intelligence as an attempt to extract sensitive information from Wallace or as an attempt to embarrass him.

Wallace, a former Scots Guards who was in Poland at the time, ordered an immediate inquiry to find out how the impostor was able to speak to him. It is understood the call lasted less than ten minutes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/impostor-tries-to-dupe-defence-secretary-35rqqkbjw
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,359
    No, it’s a crap bet. Even Tories will, eventually, realise that the clown’s election-winning days are over.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    I actually really like getting my passport stamped when going on a multicountry trip. Makes my passport look a lot more colorful and interesting.
  • Options
    FPT

Flatlander said:

This P&O thing is so extreme that it almost looks like enemy action designed to cause chaos.

How much Russian influence is there in Dubai?

I have never seen a more shocking video then the one from the boss of P & O to their staff

Arrogance and appalling lack of sympathy

He instantly made himself the most despised employer in the UK

I cannot believe he can get away with this
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    If the Tories keep Boris for the next election they are complete idiots and deserve to lose.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,251
    IanB2 said:

No, it’s a crap bet. Even Tories will, eventually, realise that the clown’s election-winning days are over.

The old party gate stuff is still waiting, like a dog turd on an unlit pavement. Whatever the police decide, I think it will be bad for Johnson. If he is ‘exonerated’, I think most people won’t believe it. If he gets a fine, especially a substantial one, then I think he has lied to parliament and needs to go. Which he won’t voluntarily. So it gets down to individual Tory mps worrying about the mortgage post election. What is the best option to keep their snouts in the trough. Right now there is the luxury of time. But in late 2023 there won’t be.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    I realise the BBC thinks this war is entering its third week, but those of us who successfully learned arithmetic at school know that it's entering its fourth.

So do people think history will view this as one of Vladimir Putin's cleverer decisions?

Or not?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,311
    Yep, good bet imo. Sadly. Been saying so for a long time too tbf to me.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Have we done this?

Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, has hit out at Russian “dirty tricks” after being targeted by an impostor posing as the Ukrainian prime minister.

He told The Times that a man pretending to be prime minister Denys Shmyhal on a video call asked him a series of questions which “got wilder and wilder so I ended the call”.

One line of inquiry is that the call was orchestrated by Russian intelligence as an attempt to extract sensitive information from Wallace or as an attempt to embarrass him.

Wallace, a former Scots Guards who was in Poland at the time, ordered an immediate inquiry to find out how the impostor was able to speak to him. It is understood the call lasted less than ten minutes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/impostor-tries-to-dupe-defence-secretary-35rqqkbjw

No, but I don't think it's that outrageous that they were able to speak to him.

What he said, on the other hand...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Have we done this?

Pritl says it happened to her too.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429
    OMFG she did it. The not-at-all-drunk, totally compos mentis Pelosi read out a poem by Bono "for Ukraine". Then she giggled

There is not enough cringe in the world to cover this

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1504525471572189186?s=20&t=kbEeOhl4o5qZ3aQ2AxNSQg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    kinabalu said:

Then we’re truly back in the 1980s when all sensible people spent their time bemoaning the travesty that was the Thatcher government and saw her losing every midterm electoral contest that came along, only to spend GE night in despair as our crooked voting system delivered her another five (usually four) years in office.

Except without the consolidation of the ground-breaking music.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Have we done this?

not too bright if he got 10 minutes out of him. WTF did he talked to some looney about for nearly ten minutes before discovering he was a fake. Shows the calibre of donkey we have in Westminster.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Chris said:

I realise the BBC thinks this war is entering its third week, but those of us who successfully learned arithmetic at school know that it's entering its fourth.

So do people think history will view this as one of Vladimir Putin's cleverer decisions?

Or not?

He's certainly destroying future scrap metal prices that's for sure.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited March 2022
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Then we’re truly back in the 1980s when all sensible people spent their time bemoaning the travesty that was the Thatcher government and saw her losing every midterm electoral contest that came along, only to spend GE night in despair as our crooked voting system delivered her another five (usually four) years in office.

The voting system has elected labour governments and may well in 2024

The problem many have, as in the referendum, is that they do not make a winning case then complain
  • Options
    MaffewMaffew Posts: 235

Have we done this?

If the questions were getting "wilder and wilder" it almost makes me wonder if it was just a prank call. I'm reminded of a call from some Quebecois comedians to Sarah Palin pretending to be President Sarkozy, which included lines (in an outrageous French accent such as "We really liked that documentary on your life, Nailin' Palin, it was... edgy." and the French equivalent to Joe the Plumber being "Jean with a baguette under his arm."
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,367
    edited March 2022
    I don’t think Boris is going anywhere. I also think he has a far higher chance of winning the next election than many others on here think. However, for the sorts of odds available, I think there are better places to put my money.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

This P&O thing is so extreme that it almost looks like enemy action designed to cause chaos.

How much Russian influence is there in Dubai?

I have never seen a more shocking video then the one from the boss of P & O to their staff

Arrogance and appalling lack of sympathy

He instantly made himself the most despised employer in the UK

I cannot believe he can get away with this
    No. Surely he can't.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20220223155341/https://rdif.ru/Eng_fullNews/1599/
    https://www.dpworld.com/news/releases/dp-world-and-rosatom-sign-agreement-for-northern-transit-corridor/

Yes, it is a global company that is bound to have to deal with all sorts, but still...

I hope someone has vetted the replacement staff.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Those pesky electors, hey?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The clip of Pelosi reading Bono's "poem" is - in all honesty - possibly the most excruciatingly embarrassing thing I have ever seen

Maybe the West is finished. Come Vlad, wipe us out
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Have we done this?

not too bright if he got 10 minutes out of him. WTF did he talked to some looney about for nearly ten minutes before discovering he was a fake. Shows the calibre of donkey we have in Westminster.
    To be fair, Macron’s been stuck on the phone with a looney for hours and hours in the last few weeks; and he actually is Russian President.
  • Options

Chris said:

Or not?

You're telling me he has the undying anger of the British Metals Recycling Association to worry about on top of everything else?
  • Options
    Vote shares in 46 council by-elections in Eng, Scot & Wales so far in 2022 (compared to last vote in each ward)

CON 37%(-3)
    LIBD 28%(+10)
    LAB 19%(-4)
    GREEN 7%(=)
    IND/LOCAL 8%(-1)
    Others 2%(-2)

Votes: 71,867(105,783)
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082
    Leon said:

OMFG she did it. The not-at-all-drunk, totally compos mentis Pelosi read out a poem by Bono "for Ukraine". Then she giggled

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1504525471572189186?s=20&t=kbEeOhl4o5qZ3aQ2AxNSQg

She mangled it, but it was a really shit bit of writing by Bono
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited March 2022
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Or not?

You're telling me he has the undying anger of the British Metals Recycling Association to worry about on top of everything else?
    They're the people you really don't want on your back. I can't say any more....
  • Options
    biggles said:

I don’t think Boris is going anywhere. I also think he has a far higher chance of winning the next election than many others on here think. However, for the sorts of odds available, I think there are better places to put my money.

So your contention is that the average punter is currently wiser than the average PB’er?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,939
    Aslan said:

I actually really like getting my passport stamped when going on a multicountry trip. Makes my passport look a lot more colorful and interesting.

I used to love it when the official tried so hard to find an undefiled page.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    Foxy said:

I see the workers are finding out what global buccaneering Britain is all about, and why they need a decent union.

Weasel words from No 10 too saying how terrible it is blah blah blah but doing SFA to stop it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Leon said:

"Bono has been a very Irish part of our lives"
  • Options
    Leon said:

The clip of Pelosi reading Bono's "poem" is - in all honesty - possibly the most excruciatingly embarrassing thing I have ever seen

It puts to bed the debate about whether the old fucks should be knocked on the head at 75, if nothing else.

Top tip: never read out a "poem" written by a lyricist. That would probably sound OK-ish as a U2 stadium anthem, which is probably what Bono was hearing in his head when he wrote it.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,231
    Foxy said:

I see the workers are finding out what global buccaneering Britain is all about, and why they need a decent union.

Does anyone know the details of Labour’s anti-fire-rehire bill? Would it have prevented this particular action?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    Nice equaliser by Leicester in a gripping fixture.

To Albania we're on our way...
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082
    slade said:

Aslan said:

I used to love it when the official tried so hard to find an undefiled page.
    The Scandinavians line theirs up neatly so you can get 4 or 6 stamps to a page.

The French defiantly put theirs in the middle of a page occupying all the real estate in a really unhelpful manner
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Would being in the EU have made any difference though? Happy to be shown I’m wrong about that.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Would being in the EU have made any difference though? Happy to be shown I’m wrong about that.
    I took Foxy to mean trade union…
  • Options

Leon said:

Love the way the fat baldy completely ignores her in favour of stuffing his face. Also up for debate: Pelosi's hair - dye or wig?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Weasel words from No 10 too saying how terrible it is blah blah blah but doing SFA to stop it.
    Nobody knew anything about it until this morning

It is utterly wrong and it was good to see that across the HOC there was total condemnation and a desire to work across party lines to address this completely unacceptable position
  • Options

Leon said:

The C-Span report is brilliantly deadpan

"Speaker Pelosi reads #StPatricksDay poem by Bono, which reads in part:

"Ireland's sorrow and pain
    Is now the Ukraine
    And Saint Patrick's name now Zelenskyy."

She then introduces Riverdance."

https://twitter.com/Dougee273/status/1504529660318674957?s=20&t=zyaCHXlOFS6yKbeHlBiEqQ

Twitter has EXPLODED with cringe
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

biggles said:

So your contention is that the average punter is currently wiser than the average PB’er?
    Sort of. My contention is that this site has a blind spot for Boris, probably because those who post here are a self selecting sample who think a bit more deeply about things than the general public. I would, however, also guess that that market is pretty well correlated with folk betting on wish fulfilment too.

My guess is based mostly on the polls (where I think he was mostly placed in the “undecided” dog house by people who were always going to vote for him again), but also just a sense of how many people seem to still see him.

Oh, plus experience. All PMs seem to go through this “holed below the waterline” phase and they never actually get forced out.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Does anyone know the details of Labour’s anti-fire-rehire bill? Would it have prevented this particular action?
    Not really relevant. This isn't fire and re-hire.
    Just fire.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yep , they are getting their brexit bonuses for sure
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Or not?

It's sounds almost like the plot of a Guy Ritchie film. It begins in Kyiv. It ends somewhere south of the river ...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Just fire.
    dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Just fire.
    They have been invited to apply for jobs with the new agency, but I take your point.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Love the way the fat baldy completely ignores her in favour of stuffing his face. Also up for debate: Pelosi's hair - dye or wig?
    Probably both and dodgy, given the cash she has surely she could get a good one
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Chris said:

Ninth year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War?wprov=sfla1
  • Options
    biggles said:

IanB2 said:

biggles said:

Sort of. My contention is that this site has a blind spot for Boris, probably because those who post here are a self selecting sample who think a bit more deeply about things than the general public. I would, however, also guess that that market is pretty well correlated with folk betting on wish fulfilment too.

My guess is based mostly on the polls (where I think he was mostly placed in the “undecided” dog house by people who were always going to vote for him again), but also just a sense of how many people seem to still see him.

Oh, plus experience. All PMs seem to go through this “holed below the waterline” phase and they never actually get forced out.
    The problem is more that reversing an 80 seat majority is generally a 2 election job. Johnson is a charleton, but one sitting on a large cushion.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

It puts to bed the debate about whether the old fucks should be knocked on the head at 75, if nothing else.

Top tip: never read out a "poem" written by a lyricist. That would probably sound OK-ish as a U2 stadium anthem, which is probably what Bono was hearing in his head when he wrote it.
    Bono is a bonehead who thinks he is smart but is actually as thick as pig shit.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Global Britain it is in their blueprint
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Did you get the urge to leap forward and rip the poem from her hands, before she started reading? I did, and I'm 10,000 miles away and watching it on Twitter

How come no one told her This isn't such a great idea?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Is now the Ukraine

https://twitter.com/Dougee273/status/1504529660318674957?s=20&t=zyaCHXlOFS6yKbeHlBiEqQ

For every Arnie there's a Bono-Pelosi.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Did you get the urge to leap forward and rip the poem from her hands, before she started reading? I did, and I'm 10,000 miles away and watching it on Twitter

What has happened to the US

So embarrassing
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Or not?

It's sounds almost like the plot of a Guy Ritchie film. It begins in Kyiv. It ends somewhere south of the river ...
    scrap iron/steel is not worth the bother, a tank's worth is prob about a fiver

Mind you that would be in keeping with Ritchie. The flaw in LS&2SB is that those guns would be lucky to make £5k at auction
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

biggles said:

The problem is more that reversing an 80 seat majority is generally a 2 election job. Johnson is a charleton, but one sitting on a large cushion.
    Yes that too. Things have never happened before until they do, but all the electoral maths makes it look like a hell of a task for Starmer. Especially if he wants a Premiership where he doesn’t have to keep three or four parties on side.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,291
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Is now the Ukraine

Dublin just got added to Putin's first strike list.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    This lady was in the Mariupol theatre when orcs dropped two massive bombs on it. “How many people were there?” “Around 800, maybe 100 got out, that’s it.” “Everyone else is under the rubble?” “Yeah, the main impact was on the stage, there were very many people underneath”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/juliaskripkaser/status/1504523793817116685
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    FPT
    Regarding Ukraine: is there a change in tone from China?
    IE: this from Chinese state sponsored media: "Russian troops have killed at least 10 civilians standing in line for bread in Chernihiv, a city in northern Ukraine, according to a Ukrainian public broadcaster and the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv".

https://twitter.com/cgtnamerica/status/1504510377446543362
  • Options
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Well yebbut "global buccaneering Britain" is an implied ref to EU membership, no?
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Haven't risked a multi-country trip since Covid, too many border rules (although I did do Spain-Gibraltar in October, you could cross at La Linea without a test whereas flying into Bib would have required a PCR.

I was going to spend 3 weeks in Russia in September but that's obviously not happening, unless they have a revolution and we're friends again. Uzbekistan is on the list but might be on Uncle Vova's too. Might have to do SE Asia for the first time in which case I have a train itinerary of Thailand, Laos and Malaysia in mind.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    darkage said:

FPT
    IE: this from Chinese state sponsored media: "Russian troops have killed at least 10 civilians standing in line for bread in Chernihiv, a city in northern Ukraine, according to a Ukrainian public broadcaster and the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv".

They've also reported in a neutral way on Blinken saying that they are investigating Russian war crimes.

https://twitter.com/cgtnamerica/status/1504524180091547665
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    Well yebbut "global buccaneering Britain" is an implied ref to EU membership, no?
    Yup. But I assumed he would not be shy of stating it explicitly, if he meant it.
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

So embarrassing
    It does feel like the whole country is dysfunctional from the top down. Trump seems less like a hideous anomaly - they've now got Biden, Harris and Pelosi. Either demented or stupid

As you say: embarrassing
  • Options
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    I was more commenting on the global buccaneering Britain bit, but yes I hope the union can achieve a decent result. Also hope the public treat p and with the disdain it deserves right now.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

Foxy said:

It is utterly wrong and it was good to see that across the HOC there was total condemnation and a desire to work across party lines to address this completely unacceptable position
    Only one party has proposed actual policies to prevent stuff like this from happening. It isn't the Tories.
  • Options

darkage said:

FPT

They've also reported in a neutral way on Blinken saying that they are investigating Russian war crimes.

https://twitter.com/cgtnamerica/status/1504524180091547665
    On the one hand, good

On the other, I feel worryingly like a child who has learned that the grown ups are on his side.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This lady was in the Mariupol theatre when orcs dropped two massive bombs on it. “How many people were there?” “Around 800, maybe 100 got out, that’s it.” “Everyone else is under the rubble?” “Yeah, the main impact was on the stage, there were very many people underneath”

Orcs? Is Putin Sauron himself, or just the Witch King?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

So embarrassing
    It does feel like the whole country is dysfunctional from the top down. Trump seems less like a hideous anomaly - they've now got Biden, Harris and Pelosi. Either demented or stupid

As you say: embarrassing
    To make it worse, I don’t even see a competent second rank ready to push through and take over. Though I appreciate I just might not see them if I’m not living over there.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    The guys keeping track of photographically confirmed losses of equipment are nearing 1500 items for Russia, and have a “very large backlog” of images to assess.
    https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

biggles said:

I don't know about this (at least in terms of the Tories losing their majority). Even if Starmer is a dud I can see Labour gaining about 40 seats and quite easily see the LDs gaining up to 10 seats as well even allowing for LD underperformance. 2019 was also a strange election and the Tory vote is likely to be less solid than in 1992 even if a bunch of Tory voters merely abstain. I agree it's more a leap Labour going in to gvt from a Tory majority of 80 but thinking Starmer should gain around 60 seats from the Tories is a reasonable benchmark as of now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

My entirely non-demented 90 y.o. aunt told me a week or so ago that the greatest benefit of getting old, is not giving a toss what anyone thinks. If you *are* demented and also think that, Pelosi is what you end up as. Not great.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Foxy said:

If it's illegal, they don't need to do anything to stop it other than have a word with the appropriate regulator.

If it's not illegal, they can't do anything to stop it. Rule of law.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    No, it is the style of Brexit. There are others, that actually do protect the workers and farmers rather than shaft them for a quick buck.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

Aslan said:

Haven't risked a multi-country trip since Covid, too many border rules (although I did do Spain-Gibraltar in October, you could cross at La Linea without a test whereas flying into Bib would have required a PCR.

I was going to spend 3 weeks in Russia in September but that's obviously not happening, unless they have a revolution and we're friends again. Uzbekistan is on the list but might be on Uncle Vova's too. Might have to do SE Asia for the first time in which case I have a train itinerary of Thailand, Laos and Malaysia in mind.
    Mrs Stodge and I are looking forward to getting back to Vegas later in the year - a few new hotels and a lot f new restaurants on the Strip and Downtown.

I'll be putting the winnings from the Stodge Saturday Patent into our accommodation - so that'll be one bijou storm drain for two.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    No, it is the style of Brexit. There are others, that actually do protect the workers and farmers rather than shaft them for a quick buck.
    Would being in the EU have made a difference?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

My entirely non-demented 90 y.o. aunt told me a week or so ago that the greatest benefit of getting old, is not giving a toss what anyone thinks. If you *are* demented and also think that, Pelosi is what you end up as. Not great.
    Yes, I don't think there is now any question mark over Pelosi being "just a bit forgetful"

She's proper batshit crazy. And she is third in the American chain-of-command, behind the stammering Biden and the giggling Harris

With Trump waiting for his second chance

God Help Us All, this is the nation that leads the West
  • Options

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    It does for most if not all countries in EU
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    It does for most if not all countries in EU
    How? What specifically would prevent it that doesn’t for us now?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,496
    malcolmg said:

Have we done this?

If the Defence Secretary was fooled for 10 minutes, he should try and palm off the blame on some low grade civil service phone operator. More seriously, it shows how easy it is to be scammed.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,237
    malcolmg said:

Have we done this?

That’s a future leader of Tory party/PM you’re talking about.
  • Options

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    I believe there would have been a compulsory consultation period. More important though is a government that believes protection of workers is not just red tape.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    I am not sure what P&O has to do with Brexit.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,147
    malcolmg said:

Have we done this?

I am assuming you are used to your calls being scheduled by your office, and that it was also occurring through a "translator" at one end or the other. I don't think the Minister is to blame.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    I believe there would have been a compulsory consultation period. More important though is a government that believes protection of workers is not just red tape.
    I think there still is, hence the ‘offer’ is 13 weeks pay in lieu of this.
    I hate what they are doing, but I don’t see evidence that the ability to do it is linked to Brexit. Happy to be shown I’m wrong, genuinely.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Yes, I don't think there is now any question mark over Pelosi being "just a bit forgetful"

She's proper batshit crazy. And she is third in the American chain-of-command, behind the stammering Biden and the giggling Harris

With Trump waiting for his second chance

God Help Us All, this is the nation that leads the West
    Isn't Zelensky the new leader of the free world?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824
    Foxy said:

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

biggles said:

Ah, now I get why he keepings making whoopies.
  • Options

Well I think nothing, but some are claiming it has allowed p and o to do something they couldn’t have done pre Brexit.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Only one party has proposed actual policies to prevent stuff like this from happening. It isn't the Tories.
    From what I have heard banning hire and fire would not have worked

I would also suggest that a hire and fire policy would see companies fail and the workforce lose their jobs anyway

There is no easy answer but let's hope the parties acting together can find a way through
  • Options
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    It’s all about Brexit for some folk.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    EU law was copy&pasted into British law, no? So either we have changed something already, or the copy&pasting was flawed, or it’s not related.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,251

Nigelb said:

Orcs? Is Putin Sauron himself, or just the Witch King?
    In several languages the invading Russians have been referred to as Orcs from the beginning. Especially in Lithuania, for some reason.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    I think there still is, hence the ‘offer’ is 13 weeks pay in lieu of this.
    I hate what they are doing, but I don’t see evidence that the ability to do it is linked to Brexit. Happy to be shown I’m wrong, genuinely.
    It is all part of the shafting of the working class brexit voters by the free marketeering Brexiteers.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    edited March 2022

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    but the line about 'buccaneering britian' is all brexit. they brought it up
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    You're clueless. Employment law in the UK hasn't changed a single iota since Brexit. We're still 100% aligned with EU employment law.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

malcolmg said:

Have we done this?

I am assuming you are used to your calls being scheduled by your office, and that it was also occurring through a "translator" at one end or the other. I don't think the Minister is to blame.
    PMSL, your excuse for him being an absolute donkey and employing other donkeys to make him look even more donkeyish.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Nothing, fire and rehire happens everywhere, especially at failing companies. More fool the employees for accepting the new terms, the company can get fucked.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Correct.
    but the line about 'buccaneering britian' is all brexit. they brought it up
    Who is this ‘they’ of whom you speak? Would their collective description rhyme with bemoaners?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,291

Leon said:

"Where the snakes have no name."

This discussion has been closed.