Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Macron looking even more a certainty to win re-election next month – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,785
    glw said:

Leon said:

COVID Summary

- Cases are going up again. R above 1 in most regions. So far a fairly small rise. But since the rise is among the oldest groups, first., this means that hospital numbers are being affected....
    - Hospital admissions R is above 1 for the first time in a while.
    - MV beds up slightly
    - In Hospital up slightly - for both it is interesting how fast a change in cases has come through. Certainly correlates with the observations about Omicron being "quicker" than delta
    - Deaths down

While we are all watching Ukraine, a new Covid disaster is overtaking Hong Kong, which now has one of the highest death rates ever recorded anywhere

"This #pandemic is gonna make many #experts eat their words, especially those who were ecstatic about HK’s handling of it.

Overwhelmed medics unable to monitor oxygen cylinders for Covid patients at inundated Hong Kong hospitals - Hong Kong Free Press HKFP"

https://twitter.com/Nucmedico/status/1500859363082264577?s=20&t=fUy5EXon8PD_7QxiZ9VE3g

The reasons seems to be: low vax rates in the elderly, dodgy Chinese jabs anyway, and a lack of prior immunity. Plus BA2 Omicron

Hmm
    So if Omicron took hold in China it would likely have a similar trajectory?
    I see no reason why not, unless they have a much higher vax rates in oldsters on the mainland?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

The fact that people who have fled Ukraine are being slowed down in France while they wait to apply for British visas is simply not a humanitarian tragedy or the end of the world. They are out of the warzone and have various options including free rail travel. Unlike other refugees from various global conflicts, they also benefit from enormous public sympathy and goodwill across Europe. People need to get things in to a bit of perspective. It is overly bureaucratic and annoying, but insignificant compared with what the people left in Ukraine are having to deal with. Also, there has to be a long term plan, because we can't simply lift 40+ million people out of danger (and dogs, pets etc) and just hand over the country to the invading Russians. Such a situation would obviously be brilliant for Putin and terrible for us.

Yes, quite

And of course, while the government may be guilty of inertia, red tape, bureaucracy, they actually aren't Nazis, and they probably ARE dealing with tricky issues helping the real Ukrainians, when there are people traffickers who would love to pretend they have boatloads of Ukrainians, but they're actually from Somalia

Meanwhile, half the people whining about it on here do not give an actual fuck, it's yet another proxy battle in the endless Brexit war in their stupid heads, everything Britain does is bad, Patel is a Leaver, Boris got Russian money for his campaign, blah blah fucking blah

Nauseating
    There you go with your Brexit thing again.
    I seriously believe you experience (perhaps subconscious) guilt about your vote, and this compels you to go on about it in every second post.
    lol. I refer you to this sentence in your immediately preceding comment:

"this government in particular is still instinctively beholden to its brain dead Brexit ideology about migration, even in the face of opinion polling that shows it is unpopular"

You just can't help yourself. You're so sunk in this toxic madness you aren't even aware that you're doing it
    But you want to see a massive fallout between France and Germany, possibly involving skirmishes. Not all of you feels that way, I won't be unfair here, but there's a big part of you that does. This is a more crazy and reprehensible sentiment than being unreconciled to Brexit.
    Yes. Of course. I am desperate to see an actual war between France and Germany.

Do you actually believe this bilge?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    Scott_xP said:

FM #Lavrov: The goal of Russia’s special military operation is to stop any war that could take place on Ukrainian territory or that could start from there. https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1500886096837849099/photo/1

stop any war that could take place on Ukrainian territory

I can think of a simpler way to achieve that.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Ahghhhhh....Reports of "Truckloads of Ukrainian Aid stuck in UK due to post-Brexit paperwork: charity workers who are trying to send aid to people in war-torn Ukraine say their donations are spending days stuck at Dover due to complex post-Brexit checks." (PoliticsHome)
    https://twitter.com/militaryhistori/status/1500889381166587904

Why are they in trucks in Dover

They should be airlifted direct to Poland
    The sane approach would be to send money and purchase everything from Poland and or Germany / Surrounding countries.

The second approach is then to ship the stuff by lorry as that is cheaper than air freight.
    The charities working with the DEC tend to source stuff locally precisely due to these sort of issues. It may feel good donating goods but most people would be doing more good simply by donating money.
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Ahghhhhh....Reports of "Truckloads of Ukrainian Aid stuck in UK due to post-Brexit paperwork: charity workers who are trying to send aid to people in war-torn Ukraine say their donations are spending days stuck at Dover due to complex post-Brexit checks." (PoliticsHome)

The sane approach would be to send money and purchase everything from Poland and or Germany / Surrounding countries.

The second approach is then to ship the stuff by lorry as that is cheaper than air freight.
    The head of a charity actually made that point that by donating £40 they would have an immediate impact

And if humanitarian aid convoys are being held by red tape then the EU should exempt such convoys
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

The fact that people who have fled Ukraine are being slowed down in France while they wait to apply for British visas is simply not a humanitarian tragedy or the end of the world. They are out of the warzone and have various options including free rail travel. Unlike other refugees from various global conflicts, they also benefit from enormous public sympathy and goodwill across Europe. People need to get things in to a bit of perspective. It is overly bureaucratic and annoying, but insignificant compared with what the people left in Ukraine are having to deal with. Also, there has to be a long term plan, because we can't simply lift 40+ million people out of danger (and dogs, pets etc) and just hand over the country to the invading Russians. Such a situation would obviously be brilliant for Putin and terrible for us.

Yes, quite

And of course, while the government may be guilty of inertia, red tape, bureaucracy, they actually aren't Nazis, and they probably ARE dealing with tricky issues helping the real Ukrainians, when there are people traffickers who would love to pretend they have boatloads of Ukrainians, but they're actually from Somalia

Meanwhile, half the people whining about it on here do not give an actual fuck, it's yet another proxy battle in the endless Brexit war in their stupid heads, everything Britain does is bad, Patel is a Leaver, Boris got Russian money for his campaign, blah blah fucking blah

Nauseating
    These people have crossed right across Europe, yet nobody along their journey has offered to take them in. Bastards.

No wonder they want to get to the warm bosom of the UK so desperately.
    The reports I’ve seen are typically about people with some form of existing UK link.

Typical heartless post from you, I’m afraid.
    You don't even live in the UK any more, so why the fuck do you think you have a say on who comes here? Fuck off, you stupid fat fuck

There. I feel better now. Good afternoon, everyone
    You’ve been much less funny since Covid impaired your brain. @malcolmg does much better vitriol than you can manage these days.
    Ooh, dems fightin' woids....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scott_xP said:

There was a whip round organised by a Ukrainian Yorkshireman back in my homeland, he filled a van up with what he said was needed, telephone and tech cables and pampers etc, and reckoned it would take him 2 days to drive it to Ukraine border. It’s probably people like that getting slowed up?
    Don't want to sound grumpy and negative, but wtf? If your phone or cable has been blown to bits almost certainly you have too so there's no net deficit. The urge to send stuff rather than money really is like a clueless aunt buying something she's heard the young like for her nephew at Christmas because it's so much more thoughtful than cash.

Mind you if he intends to fill the vehicle with Ukrainians for the journey back then taking a load of something or other probably makes sense.
  • Options
    glw said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

The charities working with the DEC tend to source stuff locally precisely due to these sort of issues. It may feel good donating goods but most people would be doing more good simply by donating money.
    Iggzackly. I bet the trucks are full of fluffy toys for the kidzz.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating
    These people have crossed right across Europe, yet nobody along their journey has offered to take them in. Bastards.

The reports I’ve seen are typically about people with some form of existing UK link.

You don't even live in the UK any more, so why the fuck do you think you have a say on who comes here? Fuck off, you stupid fat fuck

You’ve been much less funny since Covid impaired your brain. @malcolmg does much better vitriol than you can manage these days.
    I reserve my pithier remarks for worthy causes

You are not British, and you don't live in Britain, so what gives you the right to lecture the British about who they let in? Butt the fuck out, you dickless freak. Go to americanpoliticalbetting.com and adorn them with your wittering, dreary, mediocre opinions
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

FM #Lavrov: The goal of Russia’s special military operation is to stop any war that could take place on Ukrainian territory or that could start from there. https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1500886096837849099/photo/1

stop any war that could take place on Ukrainian territory

I can think of a simpler way to achieve that.
    If there is some sort of coup/revolution/military junta in Russia I hope they hang Putin and Lavrov side-by-side.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    HYUFD said:

RedfieldWilton

Westminster Voting Intention (7 Mar):

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (-2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Scottish National Party 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28 Feb

That’s the first time Tories have broke 35 in quite a while.
    SCons up to 33% on the Scottish subsample

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-7-march-2022/
    If we're playing subsamples, Labour up to 46% in the E Mids subsample - more than in London. All those Rutland and Lincolnshire workers and intellectuals storming the barricades.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,316
    Russia says their expectations from the negotiations haven't been met and there has been no agreement.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,683
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss refuses three times to say that she believes Russia's invasion of Ukraine is a "war of aggression" because she doesn't understand what it means.

She says the ICC should handle it. Tugendhat has to tell her that the ICC does not have that jurisdiction.
    https://twitter.com/AdamJSchwarz/status/1500849052283457541/video/1

Tugendhat Becomes leader in the summer is my thinking this week.
    You’d get cracking odds on him as next leader and next PM.
    Not really. He is only 9-1 for next PM. I’m on Harper at 40-1 for outside bet. Hunt won’t stand, he’ll back Tugendhat.
    I know Mike Smithson bigged up Boris chances of surviving this year in a previous header, I just laughed at that, it’s just not true.
    TSE is right, when Big dog gets the snip no one from the current cabinet will get the job. They are all discredited by being in the Boris government now.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating

You are not British, and you don't live in Britain, so what gives you the right to lecture the British about who they let in? Butt the fuck out, you dickless freak. Go to americanpoliticalbetting.com and adorn them with your wittering, dreary, mediocre opinions
    I am British, though.

I genuinely can’t be arsed with US politics, tbh. it is just way too fucked up.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating
    I seriously believe you experience (perhaps subconscious) guilt about your vote, and this compels you to go on about it in every second post.

"this government in particular is still instinctively beholden to its brain dead Brexit ideology about migration, even in the face of opinion polling that shows it is unpopular"

You just can't help yourself. You're so sunk in this toxic madness you aren't even aware that you're doing it
    But you want to see a massive fallout between France and Germany, possibly involving skirmishes. Not all of you feels that way, I won't be unfair here, but there's a big part of you that does. This is a more crazy and reprehensible sentiment than being unreconciled to Brexit.

You want them to be in a state of huge and semi permanent huffiness with each other so UKokers like yourself can caper about on the sidelines indulging in schadenfreudewanking.

That any better?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,293

Quite curious how the same people who think inviting a few thousand refugees into the country is a massive security risk and we will be overrun with Russian sleepers, are simultaneously quite comfortable with billionaires with links to the Russian state, military and security forces paying hundreds of thousands of pounds to get privileged access to Boris Johnson, and as one donor put it "plot" late into the evening over a bottle of wine on Johnson's parliamentary office balcony.

We have given more golden visas to Russian donors than we have admitted Ukrainian refugees
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,750
    AP (via Seattle Times $) - Republican ‘unforced errors’ threaten path to Senate control

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation-politics/republican-unforced-errors-threaten-path-to-senate-control/

As the prospect of a red wave grows, a series of Republican missteps including recruiting stumbles, weak fundraising and intense infighting is threatening the GOP’s path to the Senate majority.

Arizona’s Republican Gov. Doug Ducey dealt his party its latest setback late last week by announcing he would not challenge Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly this fall. His decision, which leaves no obvious front-runner in a crowded Republican primary, disappointed Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and his allies who had spent months privately encouraging Ducey to run. . . .

Republican candidates in Arizona, Georgia and Nevada are struggling to keep pace with Democratic fundraising. Recruiting failures have dashed GOP hopes in reach states like Maryland and threaten a prime pickup opportunity in New Hampshire. And a recent plan that would raise taxes on low-income Americans and seniors, released by the Republican Senate midterm chief, Florida Sen. Rick Scott, is putting GOP candidates in a difficult position across states like Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida. . . .

Scott, the leader of the GOP’s Senate midterm efforts, released an 11-point plan late last month that would impose a modest tax increase for many of the lowest paid Americans, while opening the door for cutting Social Security and Medicare. The Senate Democrats’ political arm released a radio ad within 24 hours declaring, “If Senate Republicans win, we pay the price.” . . .

The Senate Republican leader forcefully rebuked Scott’s plan during the Republican leadership’s weekly news conference, which Scott was part of.

“Let me tell you what would not be a part of our agenda,” McConnell said moments after Scott stepped away from the event. “We will not have as part of our agenda a bill that raises taxes on half of the American people and sunsets Social Security and Medicare within five years.” . . .

In Nevada, Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, one of the nation’s most endangered Democrats, reported $10.5 million cash on hand at the end of last year, compared to Republican former state Attorney General Adam Laxalt’s $1.7 million.

Georgia Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock finished the year with $22.9 million in the bank, while likely Republican challenger Herschel Walker, the former football star who has been endorsed by Trump, reported $5.4 million.

And Arizona Democrat Kelly, a former astronaut who won a 2020 special election to serve out the final two years of the late Sen. John McCain’s term, reported $18.6 million in the bank. Arizona’s Republican state Attorney General Mark Brnovich, the best-known Republican in a crowded primary field, reported less than $800,000 in the bank. . . .
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RedfieldWilton

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28 Feb

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-7-march-2022/
    English/Scottish Tory crossover sometime soon? LOL

But, seriously, the trend for Boris looks quite promising (for him) judging by a quick scan I had of the figures. I think that is worrying because for everyone's sakes he really needs to go. But it just ain't happening is it?
    I'm not brave enough to predict he definitely fights the 2024 election but I cannot see how he departs before summer 2023 (May 2023 elections are admittedly a much more pivotal set of elections for the Tories).
    Boris has risen from -31 to -7 (+24) in two weeks and Rishi is +15 (+12)

Starmer is -3

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1500891542470418437?t=6TntdcxOekCIAynJQFEF6Q&s=19
  • Options

Russia says their expectations from the negotiations haven't been met and there has been no agreement.

Well, when their expectations were that Putin could use Volodymyr Zelenskyy as a footstool until he went mad, unsurprising...
  • Options

Really not sure what the purpose of all this is other than, hopefully, agreeing genuine humanitarian corridors. Ukraine's not ready to surrender and Russia's not ready to halt their invasion, so not that much to talk about sadly.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating

Bit unfair of him to compare you with the Salmond bum licking amoeba-brain.
  • Options
    Been out the loop parts of today, but has it been confirmed about the attack on the Russian helicopters that took out 30 of them?
  • Options

Taz said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

I, like many others, have been dismayed at some of the reports about how the UK is managing Ukrainian refugees. If Priti Patel really has screwed this up in the way it has been reported then she needs to be removed ASAP. Emergencies like this soon sort the wheat from the chaff.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be affecting the positive way UK is seen in Ukraine itself, where the early efforts to support, supply and train seem to be appreciated. Looks like that investment was well worth it, to say the least.

Former President Poroshenko:

https://twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/1500842741823160327

It isn't if. Its a fact. We are not letting refugees in without an approved visa which they have to complete somewhere else. This is a unique way to handle refugees where HM Border Force turn away people fleeing the war and stop them coming to stay with friends / relatives.
    Ah, there you go again, pretending that the situation of people in Ukraine trying to get into Poland is identical to people in France trying to get into the UK.
    Every country in Europe, not just Poland.

If you think the forrin should be kept away that's fine - Patel is doing this for you. Some of us have humanity still.
    No she isn't. She has completely failed to stop immigration. We haven't even got to the point of being able to distinguish between the immigrants we want and the immigrants we don't.
    Listen to Sir Edward Leigh. A stack of people don't want *any* immigrants. At all.
    That’s true, but they are a tiny minority.

They way you go on about this, and normally you’re pretty level headed, is as if we’re an island of Tommy Robinson’s which we clearly are not.
    I am really disappointed in @RochdalePioneers recent rants which do not relate to the discussions in the HOC and the contributions by conservative mps
    I was directly quoting from a contribution by a Conservative MP. Then posted verbatim his entire contribution and a link.

How is posting Sir Edward Leigh's entire diatribe me "ranting" in a way which does not relate to contributions by Conservative MPs like Sir Edward Leigh?

Its very very simple. Every country in Europe has opened its doors to Ukrainian refugees. All of them. Except one. Personally I am disgusted by this. Others are not. Me posting verbatim comments by Tory MPs demonstrating why we stand alone in closing our door to refugees is not me performing "recent rants".
    You are demonising conservatives by highlighting one disgusting mp who does nor represent HMG

You may as well attack labour who have pro Putin mps on their benches

You are better than this
    You are whining about how unfair Rochdale is highlighting Edward Leigh and how his view dovetails with Priti Patel's "current" Ukrainian refugee policy. You then claim Leigh is not representative of the wider Conservative Party. And I would hope he isn't. Yet you yourself last week were demanding Starmer's head for his failure to expel his "Stop the War" MPs.

What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander?

Apple with Goose? Or a cherry and wine sauce?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

Regarding peacekeeping in Ukraine Macron has achieved nothing so far. The rising commodities prices hitting French consumers will take its tall on his re-election odds

What peace is there to keep in Ukraine, exactly?

Preventing war was a lost cause, but going to Moscow to have a go at that was a sensible thing to try.
    so what exactly Macron has achieved there?

UPDATE 3-SocGen warns it could be stripped of Russian business

* French bank has $20 billion of Russia exposure. This is a clear political liability for him
    And yet Macron's polling has gone up since the start of the Ukraine crisis. In mid-February, he was on 24-25% in the polls, and now he's 29-30%.

So, when you say "political liability", do you mean "great thing for his polling"?
    The polling is absurd. I expect the polling figures to change dramatically in early April. What exactly has Macron won for France? Ukrainian refuges ? sky-high gas prices? the possibility of a nuclear conflict/incident in Europe?
    Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not true.

Also - don't you perhaps think that Vladimir Putin is responsible for the Ukrainian refugees, rather than Emmanuel Macron?
    Macron is weak, that's why Putin attacked. If the French prefer to see Macron as a hero and great administrator, well, let's see...
    So, Putin attacked Ukraine because Macron is weak?

It's all Macron's fault, huh?

God, there was me thinking it was Putin's fault for sending troops in, and killing civilians, when it was actually all Macron's fault all along.

Well, you live and learn.

Thanks @d_d for being such an asset to this site. How do you do it? This penetrating analysis is beyond compare.
    so you still don't get it, huh
    Putin is responsible for Putin's actions.

No-one else.
    this question is not about Putin. What exactly Macron is supposed to do to combat commodity and food supply shocks ? How happy will be a French consumer ? But wait perhaps Macron will be re-elected for the third time for his geniusness
    Ah, so we shouldn't stand up to dictators invading other countries, because it might lead to (temporarily) higher costs for consumers.
    I fear a more common view that we'd like. Few so direct though.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Rishi does indeed seem a busted flush.
    It’s possible he’d be a better PM than Chancellor though.

His Mais lecture was very interesting in that it demonstrated real attention to detail about various micro-economic policy instruments, but a woeful ignorance about macroeconomics.

His strategy for the UK?
    Build an “enterprise culture.”

As Martin Wolf asks in the FT, what the fuck has Britain been doing for the past 40 years?

He has no answers to Britain’s economic problems,
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,115
    kle4 said:

Really not sure what the purpose of all this is other than, hopefully, agreeing genuine humanitarian corridors. Ukraine's not ready to surrender and Russia's not ready to halt their invasion, so not that much to talk about sadly.
    Given that Russia shelled the first two attempts and mined the route of the third - I wouldn't exactly be trusting those corridors.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Scott_xP said:

They don't do irony do they
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating

I am British, though.

I thought you were a Kiwi?

I agree with you about American politics, of course. Insanely polarised and nasty. It makes our Brexit row look cordial

American politics is like the trans-terf social media battle - multiplied by a trillion and imposed on the entire population of a global superpower
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating

You want them to be in a state of huge and semi permanent huffiness with each other so UKokers like yourself can caper about on the sidelines indulging in schadenfreudewanking.

That any better?
    Yes, that's fair
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

Given that Russia shelled the first two attempts and mined the route of the third - I wouldn't exactly be trusting those corridors.
    That's 'hopefully' as in 'it would be nice if that happened' as opposed to thinking they'd be lucky enough to agree and then stick to it.
  • Options

His Mais lecture was very interesting in that it demonstrated real attention to detail about various micro-economic policy instruments, but a woeful ignorance about macroeconomics.

His strategy for the UK?

As Martin Wolf asks in the FT, what the fuck has Britain been doing for the past 40 years?

You clearly haven't seen tonight's pol

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1500891542470418437?t=6TntdcxOekCIAynJQFEF6Q&s=19
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating

I am British, though.

I agree with you about American politics, of course. Insanely polarised and nasty. It makes our Brexit row look cordial

American politics is like the trans-terf social media battle - multiplied by a trillion and imposed on the entire population of a global superpower
    I have dual nationality.

Not only is US politics stupidly polarised, it’s also obsessed with various issues (guns, abortion, critical race theory) that I don’t give much of a shit about.
  • Options

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.
    He’s been pretty invisible during the current crisis (rightly so).
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating

I am British, though.

I have dual nationality.

Not only is US politics stupidly polarised, it’s also obsessed with various issues (guns, abortion, critical race theory) that I don’t give much of a shit about.
    My eldest has dual UK-NZ nationality
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

There was a whip round organised by a Ukrainian Yorkshireman back in my homeland, he filled a van up with what he said was needed, telephone and tech cables and pampers etc, and reckoned it would take him 2 days to drive it to Ukraine border. It’s probably people like that getting slowed up?
    Don't want to sound grumpy and negative, but wtf? If your phone or cable has been blown to bits almost certainly you have too so there's no net deficit. The urge to send stuff rather than money really is like a clueless aunt buying something she's heard the young like for her nephew at Christmas because it's so much more thoughtful than cash.

Mind you if he intends to fill the vehicle with Ukrainians for the journey back then taking a load of something or other probably makes sense.
    Maybe people feel they want to do something, so it happens?

You make a good point, the receiving country has pampers for the baby and charger cable you forgot to rescuer from the rubble, but maybe he had been talking to people at border on phone and it’s what they asking for, whilst queuing up in cars to get in the countries? But maybe they across border but chargers to keep phone and other tech going and nappies are all in short supply?

If he had filled up with Ukrainians for trip back then that’s a much longer wait at customs ☹️
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RedfieldWilton

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28 Feb

But, seriously, the trend for Boris looks quite promising (for him) judging by a quick scan I had of the figures. I think that is worrying because for everyone's sakes he really needs to go. But it just ain't happening is it?
    I'm not brave enough to predict he definitely fights the 2024 election but I cannot see how he departs before summer 2023 (May 2023 elections are admittedly a much more pivotal set of elections for the Tories).

Starmer is -3

That's an incredible surge for Boris. Is he actually going to shrug off Partygate?

I guess a huge war in Europe, and potential nuclear apocalypse, is the kind of thing that might just do that. And he is having a good war. Involved, animated, sensible

I suspect some of the hysterical shrieking about Ukrainian refugees cruelly stuck in, er, France, by Bojo's insane Nazism, is actually sublimated anger that Boris seems to be escaping his Nemesis
  • Options
    So how is Patel playing in Peoria?

AP (via Seattle Times $) - UK government denies giving cool welcome to Ukraine refugees

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/uk-government-denies-giving-cool-welcome-to-ukraine-refugees/

LONDON (AP) — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Monday defended his government’s treatment of Ukrainians fleeing war, after France accused U.K. authorities of “inhumane” behavior towards the refugees.

Johnson said Britain was being “very, very generous,” but wouldn’t have “a system where people can come into the U.K. without any checks or any controls at all.”

Britain says it expects to take in as many as 200,000 Ukrainians displaced by Russia’s invasion, and has set no upper limit on the number it will accept.

But very few have managed to reach Britain so far. The Home Office said “around 50” visas had been granted by Sunday, though Johnson said Monday he wasn’t sure that number was correct.

French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said Sunday that hundreds of Ukrainian refugees in the English Channel port of Calais had been turned away and told by British authorities that they must obtain visas at U.K. embassies in Paris or Brussels.

Calling that “a bit inhumane,” Darmanin urged Britain to “stop the technocratic nit-picking” and be more generous. He said he had urged Britain to set up a consulate in Calais to deal with applications.

Home Secretary Priti Patel denied Britain was turning anyone away, though the British government confirmed Monday that it didn’t have a visa center in Calais, meaning applications need to be made elsewhere.

Patel said Britain had set up a visa application center “en route to Calais” but not at the port, to avoid bottlenecks.

“It is wrong to say we’re just turning people back, we’re absolutely not, we’re supporting those that have been coming to Calais,” she said in the House of Commons.

European Union nations are allowing Ukrainians live and work for up to three years without having to go through a formal asylum-seeking process. The U.K., which left the bloc last year, isn’t waiving the paperwork, citing security reasons, though it is loosening its rules.

Ukrainians based in Britain can bring over family members, including spouses, parents and children. The government has also announced a separate route for groups in the U.K. to sponsor Ukrainian refugees, but details of that were still being worked out.

Patel said the U.K. was flying staff out to countries neighboring Ukraine “so we can fast-track and speed up applications.”

The United Nations says more than 1.7 million people have fled the war in Ukraine, in what it calls Europe’s fastest-growing refugee crisis since World War II.
  • Options

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.
    I was somewhat surprised but Boris rise by 24 points to -7 in two weeks indicates the war effect
  • Options

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.
    The heir apparent gets a boost by default from people wanting to give the Tories some credit for some parts of the crisis being well handled, I assume.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,578

Taz said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

I, like many others, have been dismayed at some of the reports about how the UK is managing Ukrainian refugees. If Priti Patel really has screwed this up in the way it has been reported then she needs to be removed ASAP. Emergencies like this soon sort the wheat from the chaff.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be affecting the positive way UK is seen in Ukraine itself, where the early efforts to support, supply and train seem to be appreciated. Looks like that investment was well worth it, to say the least.

It isn't if. Its a fact. We are not letting refugees in without an approved visa which they have to complete somewhere else. This is a unique way to handle refugees where HM Border Force turn away people fleeing the war and stop them coming to stay with friends / relatives.
    Ah, there you go again, pretending that the situation of people in Ukraine trying to get into Poland is identical to people in France trying to get into the UK.

If you think the forrin should be kept away that's fine - Patel is doing this for you. Some of us have humanity still.
    No she isn't. She has completely failed to stop immigration. We haven't even got to the point of being able to distinguish between the immigrants we want and the immigrants we don't.
    Listen to Sir Edward Leigh. A stack of people don't want *any* immigrants. At all.

They way you go on about this, and normally you’re pretty level headed, is as if we’re an island of Tommy Robinson’s which we clearly are not.
    I am really disappointed in @RochdalePioneers recent rants which do not relate to the discussions in the HOC and the contributions by conservative mps
    I was directly quoting from a contribution by a Conservative MP. Then posted verbatim his entire contribution and a link.

How is posting Sir Edward Leigh's entire diatribe me "ranting" in a way which does not relate to contributions by Conservative MPs like Sir Edward Leigh?

Its very very simple. Every country in Europe has opened its doors to Ukrainian refugees. All of them. Except one. Personally I am disgusted by this. Others are not. Me posting verbatim comments by Tory MPs demonstrating why we stand alone in closing our door to refugees is not me performing "recent rants".
    You are demonising conservatives by highlighting one disgusting mp who does nor represent HMG

You are better than this
    You are whining about how unfair Rochdale is highlighting Edward Leigh and how his view dovetails with Priti Patel's "current" Ukrainian refugee policy. You then claim Leigh is not representative of the wider Conservative Party. And I would hope he isn't. Yet you yourself last week were demanding Starmer's head for his failure to expel his "Stop the War" MPs.

I last week made the point that while I strongly disagree with the Stop the War lot, it's a point if view which at least merits the space to articulate it, and which also merits representation. It shouldn't be unsayable. I'd make the same point about Edward Leigh. I don't agree with what I think his point is, but simply saying that that point of view is beyond the pale and unsayable is dangerous (and moreover, doesn't work).
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating

I am British, though.

I have dual nationality.

My eldest has dual UK-NZ nationality
    It’s a good position to be in.

NZ passports are highly covetable in these apocalyptic times.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

They don't do irony do they
    They are also massive snowflakes, always whinging about people saying mean things about them. It's odd when they also want to project massive strength and lack of concern about the West's actions.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

Regarding peacekeeping in Ukraine Macron has achieved nothing so far. The rising commodities prices hitting French consumers will take its tall on his re-election odds

Preventing war was a lost cause, but going to Moscow to have a go at that was a sensible thing to try.

* French bank has $20 billion of Russia exposure. This is a clear political liability for him
    And yet Macron's polling has gone up since the start of the Ukraine crisis. In mid-February, he was on 24-25% in the polls, and now he's 29-30%.

So, when you say "political liability", do you mean "great thing for his polling"?
    The polling is absurd. I expect the polling figures to change dramatically in early April. What exactly has Macron won for France? Ukrainian refuges ? sky-high gas prices? the possibility of a nuclear conflict/incident in Europe?

Also - don't you perhaps think that Vladimir Putin is responsible for the Ukrainian refugees, rather than Emmanuel Macron?
    Macron is weak, that's why Putin attacked. If the French prefer to see Macron as a hero and great administrator, well, let's see...

God, there was me thinking it was Putin's fault for sending troops in, and killing civilians, when it was actually all Macron's fault all along.

Thanks @d_d for being such an asset to this site. How do you do it? This penetrating analysis is beyond compare.

No-one else.
    this question is not about Putin. What exactly Macron is supposed to do to combat commodity and food supply shocks ? How happy will be a French consumer ? But wait perhaps Macron will be re-elected for the third time for his geniusness
    Ah, so we shouldn't stand up to dictators invading other countries, because it might lead to (temporarily) higher costs for consumers.
    It's hilarious how these pro-Russian posters are cycling through PB, lasting about three days each before getting humiliated. Do we really believe they are different people?
  • Options

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.
    I was somewhat surprised but Boris rise by 24 points to -7 in two weeks indicates the war effect
    And perhaps also skew in polling question, as OGH pointed out several threads ago?

My guess is that both are operative, the war more so, but the skew is not nothing.
  • Options

Quelle surprise. They will be so disappointed that they have to carry on murdering civilians
  • Options
    Aslan said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

No-one else.
    It's hilarious how these pro-Russian posters are cycling through PB, lasting about three days each before getting humiliated. Do we really believe they are different people?
    @rcs1000 has been posting for a while.
    Apart from his Brexitism and unusual affection for Marie Le Pen, he presents quite normally.

One of Moscow’s more successful astroturfers.
  • Options

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28 Feb Redfield and Wilton

If the Tories can't get ahead during a war, when can they?
  • Options

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.
    He really really hasn't. He's mentioned a lot by the actual Ukrainian president. Specifically mentioned, for helping Ukraine with missiles and training - when the rest of Europe was faffing about talking to Putin across a three mile long table

eg

Володимир Зеленський@ZelenskyyUa·Mar 2Coordinated actions with 🇬🇧 Prime Minister @BorisJohnson. Reported on the course of 🇺🇦 defense and the latest crimes of Russia against the civilian population. We are grateful for 🇬🇧 continued significant assistance in combating aggression. Together with partners we defend 🇺🇦!

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1498974231266316291?s=20&t=fUy5EXon8PD_7QxiZ9VE3g

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Quite curious how the same people who think inviting a few thousand refugees into the country is a massive security risk and we will be overrun with Russian sleepers, are simultaneously quite comfortable with billionaires with links to the Russian state, military and security forces paying hundreds of thousands of pounds to get privileged access to Boris Johnson, and as one donor put it "plot" late into the evening over a bottle of wine on Johnson's parliamentary office balcony.

Ah but they are the right kind of Russian spies. Chaps don't you know.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

RedfieldWilton

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28 Feb

Starmer is -3

That's an incredible surge for Boris. Is he actually going to shrug off Partygate?

I guess a huge war in Europe, and potential nuclear apocalypse, is the kind of thing that might just do that. And he is having a good war. Involved, animated, sensible

I suspect some of the hysterical shrieking about Ukrainian refugees cruelly stuck in, er, France, by Bojo's insane Nazism, is actually sublimated anger that Boris seems to be escaping his Nemesis
    It will be interesting to watch if Boris crossovers with Starmer on ratings as he has done in this poll as best PM
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1500895966047739912

"⚡️Ukraine: Russians shoot fake video in Chornobyl.

Ukraine’s state company Energoatom said that after the Chornobyl plant staff refused to participate, the invaders filmed their troops dressed in the uniform of the French company Novarka, which had left the zone in 2020."

Nuclear weapon lies coming I guess. Every aspect of the russian operation has been so sloppy.
  • Options
    d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

No-one else.
    How happy will be a French consumer ? - How happy will a French consumer be? And geniusness would be an OK comic formulation by a native speaker if you otherwise passed muster, which you don't.

I don't understand you guys being so bad at what you do. Is Vlad sending out the useless conscript cyberwarriors in the first wave to lull us into a false sense of security?
  • Options
    Aslan said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

No-one else.
    A different one gets assigned each day. "Comrade, today you weel be asseened to a hot-beed of Western decadence, known as PeeBee"
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Been out the loop parts of today, but has it been confirmed about the attack on the Russian helicopters that took out 30 of them?

I was wondering about that, If they did I would have thought there would be video of it by now, so I'm a bit sceptical but hope so much it is accurate.
  • Options
    Can some give a list of post-invasion Putin Bot Brigade? Just for the record?

And has "d_d" been kicked to the curb by Mods yet?
  • Options
    Leon said:

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.
    He really really hasn't. He's mentioned a lot by the actual Ukrainian president. Specifically mentioned, for helping Ukraine with missiles and training - when the rest of Europe was faffing about talking to Putin across a three mile long table

eg

Володимир Зеленський@ZelenskyyUa·Mar 2Coordinated actions with 🇬🇧 Prime Minister @BorisJohnson. Reported on the course of 🇺🇦 defense and the latest crimes of Russia against the civilian population. We are grateful for 🇬🇧 continued significant assistance in combating aggression. Together with partners we defend 🇺🇦!

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1498974231266316291?s=20&t=fUy5EXon8PD_7QxiZ9VE3g

No, I meant Sunak.

Boris is certainly having a “good” war.

He was sitting on a decent existing policy (armaments to Ukraine) and was willing to step up to be Zelensky’s primary interlocutor from the beginning.

Less so the refugees stuff and the fact he’s historically cosied up to Russian cash.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,342
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

RedfieldWilton

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28 Feb

Starmer is -3

Boris had largely wriggled free of Partygate anyway, I'd have said. But the war in Europe has certainly killed it stone dead as an issue that could cause him any further damage.
  • Options

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.
    And perhaps also skew in polling question, as OGH pointed out several threads ago?

My guess is that both are operative, the war more so, but the skew is not nothing.
    This is a huge change and Rishi as well

It has surprising me and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few weeks
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

RedfieldWilton

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28 Feb

Starmer is -3

He has had a chance to show a degree of gravitas missing since, well, since the 2019 election (save for a bit on Covid until he was shaking hands with sufferers and descended into being a prat).

He has given his best speeches too, showing that he can still do a great set-piece speech. And maybe he has finally shrugged off his long Covid. That he caught by being way too relaxed about personal bio-security. Prat.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating

I am British, though.

I have dual nationality.

Leaving aside CRT, which I think is poisonous bile, I DO give a shit about both guns and abortion, which are serious subjects for discussion - but I value that in the UK we are able to discuss safely without, yet, them being another front in the culture war.
    Least-bad type questions with negatives on both sides, innit? If only we could view all our problems so soberly.
  • Options

Aslan said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

No-one else.
    A different one gets assigned each day. "Comrade, today you weel be asseened to a hot-beed of Western decadence, known as PeeBee"
    Somewhere in St Petersburg is a cheat sheet detailing various PB arcana like JackW’s arse, and the fact that posts by @BartholomewRoberts should generally be ignored.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Yeah, well the average Ukrainian refugee will have had to leave behind pretty much everything so won't be able to contribute to the criminal conspiracy that used to be the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    I've thought for months Johnson would lead the Tories into the next election.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Aslan said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

No-one else.
    ПБ - which (I think) is pronounced in Russian (something like) "Puh Bah"?

Edit - which makes us PBers all Pooh-Bahs?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

You are better than this

I last week made the point that while I strongly disagree with the Stop the War lot, it's a point if view which at least merits the space to articulate it, and which also merits representation. It shouldn't be unsayable. I'd make the same point about Edward Leigh. I don't agree with what I think his point is, but simply saying that that point of view is beyond the pale and unsayable is dangerous (and moreover, doesn't work).
    No one is deplatforming him nor trying to stop him saying whatever he wants. But we do reserve the absolute right to point out that saying stuff like that makes him an odious xenophobic fuckwit. Free speech and all that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

RedfieldWilton

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28 Feb

Starmer is -3

Or maybe just a rally round the flag bounce that could blow away in an instant on a different breeze. 🙂

If anything it has brought a focus on Boris governments closeness to Putin money in the lead up to Putin’s barbarity, in a way that might not even have been scrutinised till a change of government, without this war.

Is there a volunteer role out on the Ukraine borders that fits a person like yourself, man with a suitcase loves foreign travel and experiences, got all the patter for meeting and empathising with strangers? It must be a 24hrs chaos on the bordering countries. Have you ever been close to a war zone?
  • Options

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

The remarkable thing in this poll is Boris ratings improving by +24 in two weeks and now leads Starmer as best PM
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.

eg

No, I meant Sunak.

Boris is certainly having a “good” war.

He was sitting on a decent existing policy (armaments to Ukraine) and was willing to step up to be Zelensky’s primary interlocutor from the beginning.

Less so the refugees stuff and the fact he’s historically cosied up to Russian cash.
    Ah. Yes, agreed. I guess all boats rise on an incoming tide, hence Sunak also getting a mysterious boost?

As for Boris, I have a sense he will escape this Russian stuff and Partygate simply because of the scale of the crises now facing us. The scandal feels deeply trivial - even tho it is arguably pretty important and highly relevant

So he will lead the Tories into the next GE? He might even win it. He is a lucky general

And now, the gym. Later
  • Options

Aslan said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

No-one else.
    Somewhere in St Petersburg is a cheat sheet detailing various PB arcana like JackW’s arse, and the fact that posts by @BartholomewRoberts should generally be ignored.
    You jest, but it's the lack of attention to such detail which is the giveaway. That and the tendency to March straight in with the controversial opinion, rather than building up gradually to it over a number of months or years with innocuous posts about cheese and real ale and cricket before going full Plato.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,636

There was confirmation that the helicopters were there, and there was a video that purported to show a series of explosions at the airfield from a distance.

Not sure if there's been more since that.
  • Options
    For Johnson to win GE2024, he'd have to hope the Labour voteshare drops, as of the current time they've re-built the 2017 coalition which will produce a Hung Parliament.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

You are better than this

No one is deplatforming him nor trying to stop him saying whatever he wants. But we do reserve the absolute right to point out that saying stuff like that makes him an odious xenophobic fuckwit. Free speech and all that.
    Also the opposition benches will be happier of the two it’s not someone sat beside or behind them saying it right now.
  • Options
    d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

No-one else.

Now I get it @PJohnson @d_d
    you've seen nothing yet
    wait for it...
    For what?
    Genuinely curious.

I’ve just moved from London to New York and am horrified by the price of food, especially - for some reason - cucumbers.

Are you telling me it’s going to get worse?
  • Options
    d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

No-one else.

you've seen nothing yet
    wait for it...
    You ain't seen nothin' yet.

So many tells.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1500895966047739912

"⚡️Ukraine: Russians shoot fake video in Chornobyl.

Ukraine’s state company Energoatom said that after the Chornobyl plant staff refused to participate, the invaders filmed their troops dressed in the uniform of the French company Novarka, which had left the zone in 2020."

Nuclear weapon lies coming I guess. Every aspect of the russian operation has been so sloppy.

They just keep coming:
    "#UkraineRussianWar: The Russian military is so incompetent it releases footage of Su-34 ‘24’ taking off for a new sortie a day after it was shot down over Ukraine."
    https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1500902154994921476
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,182
    It may be a cliche, but the current situation can only assist Tom Tugendhat's leadership chances.
  • Options
    d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

rcs1000 said:

d_d said:

d_d said:

No-one else.

you've seen nothing yet
    wait for it...
    I doubt you will be around much longer
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Three months and a day since the last Tory poll lead (incidentally, it was Redfield & Wilton).
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

RedfieldWilton

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 28 Feb

Starmer is -3

Or maybe just a rally round the flag bounce that could blow away in an instant on a different breeze. 🙂

If anything it has brought a focus on Boris governments closeness to Putin money in the lead up to Putin’s barbarity, in a way that might not even have been scrutinised till a change of government, without this war.

Is there a volunteer role out on the Ukraine borders that fits a person like yourself, man with a suitcase loves foreign travel and experiences, got all the patter for meeting and empathising with strangers? It must be a 24hrs chaos on the bordering countries. Have you ever been close to a war zone?
    I totally have.

I was once held at gunpoint, with a photographer mate, by Hezbollah, in a Hezbollah safe house in the cold mountains of south Lebanon, in a village - Machgarah - which was simultaneously being shelled and strafed by the Israelis. I heard the screams of people dying, and saw the bombs explode. They kept us for hours

Miraculously, Hezbollah did not briskly execute us (despite suspecting we were Israeli agents). When I got home I told some experienced Middle East hacks what happened to me and they fell off their chairs. Apparently our chances of surviving that were about 1%. We got very very very lucky

I'm getting a modest cold sweat even now, thinking about it. FFFFFuck
  • Options
    Wasn't Neville Chamberlain also having "a good war" in early stages? Up to invasion of Norway that is?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It may be a cliche, but the current situation can only assist Tom Tugendhat's leadership chances.

Only if there’s some major military calamity.
    One can never rule it out with Boris, but it seems unlikely.
  • Options

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.

It has surprising me and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few weeks
    And backed up by other pollsters.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,075

Their expectation the Ukraine would roll over and start flying Russian flags from their Parliament building tomorrow?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I really do not think he has a chance to be honest
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    A few unconfirmed reports from various sources which people may not all have seen (Guardian, NZZ (Swiss, pro-Ukrainian), Haaretz (Israeli), Interfax (pro-Russian):

"Small positive signs" in the peace talks (Ukrainian source), but agreement not to discuss details in public.
    Russian allies inching forward in the south, with several suburbs of Mariopol taken. Rumoured big assaults on Kyiv and Odessa haven't happened. Mariopol situation particularly grim, with no utilities.
    Very little change around Kyiv - Russians picking up a few villages but the main column still stalled
    All Russian ground forces now committed, but not main air power yet so no overall control in the air. Zero Belorussian troops involved.
    Ukrainians carried out a successful attack on an airfield, knocking out numerous Russian helicopters.
    Evacuations from Kharkiv now going relatively well, but everywhere else still stalled with both side blaming each other for local violations.

FWIW I think the Russians are going to capture a cohesive land link from the East to Crimea. but it's not obvious that they're trying to advance much anywhere else at the moment. Possibly they are genuinely stuck, or alternatively waiting to see if the peace talks progress, with the aim of settling for Ukrainian neutrality and acceptance of the "southern corridor"? The former is on the table, the latter still very hard for Ukraine to accept.
  • Options

Wasn't Neville Chamberlain also having "a good war" in early stages? Up to invasion of Norway that is?

Probably.
    Hard to think of an analogy with Norway though.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Yes, quite

Nauseating

It’s not that long since he was waxing lyrical about Putin’s iron grip.

It’s best to treat him like a mildly amusing, filter-free, lecherous uncle.
    Not possible for me. I'm older than him.
  • Options

Labour 40% (+2)
    Conservative 37% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (-2)
    Other 1% (–)

Of course they can. Wars are probably the best type of circumstance for the Tories, as strange as that may sound. The Falklands War was the event that pushed the Tories up from 3rd to 1st place at that time.
  • Options
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/03/new-rules-and-taller-masts-to-boost-5g-mobile-in-rural-england.html

That's a policy I can get 100% behind. Planning should be disregarded for 5G build.
  • Options

His strategy for the UK?

Weird poll.

And backed up by other pollsters.
    I wonder if the support for Boris in the conservative papers is aiding his recovery as pre Ukraine they were not at all happy with him
  • Options
    "Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton

Johnson leads over Starmer for better PM for the first time since 3 Jan.

At this moment, which of the following individuals do you think would be the better PM for the UK? (7 Mar)

Boris Johnson: 39% (+3)
    Keir Starmer: 35% (-1)

Changes +/- 28 Feb"

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1500894203664084996
  • Options
    Interesting post by Nick Palmer.

Perhaps indeed we are close to my suggested “deal”.

Secession of Crimea.
    Agreement not to join NATO.
    Some kind of deal in the Donbas (beefed up federal status and perhaps plebiscites on independence).
  • Options

A few unconfirmed reports from various sources which people may not all have seen (Guardian, NZZ (Swiss, pro-Ukrainian), Haaretz (Israeli), Interfax (pro-Russian):

"Small positive signs" in the peace talks (Ukrainian source), but agreement not to discuss details in public.
    Russian allies inching forward in the south, with several suburbs of Mariopol taken. Rumoured big assaults on Kyiv and Odessa haven't happened. Mariopol situation particularly grim, with no utilities.
    Very little change around Kyiv - Russians picking up a few villages but the main column still stalled
    All Russian ground forces now committed, but not main air power yet so no overall control in the air. Zero Belorussian troops involved.
    Ukrainians carried out a successful attack on an airfield, knocking out numerous Russian helicopters.
    Evacuations from Kharkiv now going relatively well, but everywhere else still stalled with both side blaming each other for local violations.

FWIW I think the Russians are going to capture a cohesive land link from the East to Crimea. but it's not obvious that they're trying to advance much anywhere else at the moment. Possibly they are genuinely stuck, or alternatively waiting to see if the peace talks progress, with the aim of settling for Ukrainian neutrality and acceptance of the "southern corridor"? The former is on the table, the latter still very hard for Ukraine to accept.

You still keep bigging up this neutrality option, but I still don't see how it could possibly work. Leaving aside that promising not to formally align with NATO etc is not a neutral choice if it is done only because they'll be killed if they do not, I don't see what it really gains the Russians either - Ukraine is already not in NATO or the EU but is clearly western aligned now, so other than pettily holding Ukraine back it doesn't achieve anything for Russia in terms of preventing Ukraine from leaving its orbit.

I can see Ukraine agreeing to it, reluctantly, but even though Russia claims to want it it doesn't seem to obtain much.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    And once again, the blind spot on this site for Boris actually being good at winning elections comes through. Well, the inability for some to learn from the past too. Oh for a “swing back” estimate.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You still keep bigging up this neutrality option, but I still don't see how it could possibly work. Leaving aside that promising not to formally align with NATO etc is not a neutral choice if it is done only because they'll be killed if they do not, I don't see what it really gains the Russians either - Ukraine is already not in NATO or the EU but is clearly western aligned now, so other than pettily holding Ukraine back it doesn't achieve anything for Russia in terms of preventing Ukraine from leaving its orbit.

I can see Ukraine agreeing to it, reluctantly, but even though Russia claims to want it it doesn't seem to obtain much.
    It gives Russia an out.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Sandpit said:

Their expectation the Ukraine would roll over and start flying Russian flags from their Parliament building tomorrow?
    I was amused the other day when Russia decide to criticise the Ukrainian delegates for “being late” when coming FROM A WARZONE.