Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Petrol to rise to £2 a litre this year? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

I wonder if last night's attack on the nuclear power station is the moment that changed this war, with NATO knowing that being bystanders while nuclear power stations are targets for Putin is not acceptable and calls his bluff

The bluff would be that he hasn't got nukes [he has] or that he has no intention of using them [you want to bet on that]?

Some VERY iffy tweets from cummings this morning, the missiles only hit a shed not the actual power plant therefore this is all hysterical propaganda by Ukraine. I think most people think missiles hitting sheds near power plants is a good 90% as concerning as hitting the actual plant.
    As has been pointed out, an interruption to electrical supply to the cooling for the nuclear waste ponds could be pretty dangerous, too. 'They didn't actually hit the reactor' is not particularly reassuring.
    I'll take all those old fuel rods off their hands, no problem. I can recycle them...
    Your shed sounds even more interesting than that of @Dura_Ace ...
    Sadly, haven't got one at the moment - using various facilities, until we get the new house sorted.
    Partner unhappy about the state of the washing machine, then ?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    dixiedean said:

Suspect a period of stagflation fuelled by a faraway foreign conflict of which the electorate grows tired, may be the Achilles heel of this government.
    That and an egregious cock-up being never far away.

Johnson seemed to do a new, offensive thing every 6-9 months so we are about due. Probably overdue for a fresh money related scandal. We'll have to wait and see who is paying for his 2022 summer holiday because he fucking won't be.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

I wonder if last night's attack on the nuclear power station is the moment that changed this war, with NATO knowing that being bystanders while nuclear power stations are targets for Putin is not acceptable and calls his bluff

The bluff would be that he hasn't got nukes [he has] or that he has no intention of using them [you want to bet on that]?

Some VERY iffy tweets from cummings this morning, the missiles only hit a shed not the actual power plant therefore this is all hysterical propaganda by Ukraine. I think most people think missiles hitting sheds near power plants is a good 90% as concerning as hitting the actual plant.
    As has been pointed out, an interruption to electrical supply to the cooling for the nuclear waste ponds could be pretty dangerous, too. 'They didn't actually hit the reactor' is not particularly reassuring.
    I'll take all those old fuel rods off their hands, no problem. I can recycle them...
    Your shed sounds even more interesting than that of @Dura_Ace ...
    Sadly, haven't got one at the moment - using various facilities, until we get the new house sorted.
    Partner unhappy about the state of the washing machine, then ?
    Ha - not using the dishwasher to clean materials, no. A lot of the stuff I work with is in aluminium anyway, which a dishwasher would completely bugger up.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    edited March 2022

Phil said:

Meanwhile, everyone's favourite journalist, Carole Cadwalladr, thinks Gavin Williamson was knighted as part of Boris's cover-up of Russian links, or something.

NEW: Boris Johnson awards Gavin Williamson a knighthood.

Why *now*? In middle of Russian crisis?

He was appointed defence secretary in Nov 2017 at exact moment, FBI revealed its Trump-Russia investigation began in London.

Is this relevant?

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1499482812889681921

Carole can be a tad one note, but honestly: can you come up with /any/ sensible reason for Gavin Williamson to be knighted at this specific point in time? (Lets put aside the absurdity of knighting Gavin Williamson at all for the moment...)

It’s not even gong-passing out season, so this is clearly something that Gavin has been able to insist happens right now & not at some later time.
    Suspect this was part of the deal for him to leave quietly. We won’t be able to give it you now, but let’s b/f it a few months - say early March next year?
    Pretty sure he knows where a few bodies are buried. After all, he was Chief Whip.

And, more generally, Johnson has done more to devalue the honours system than anyone, including Harold Wilson and Lloyd George.
    At least Charles II's mistresses had to perform useful services for him before being ennobled.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    edited March 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

dixiedean said:

Suspect a period of stagflation fuelled by a faraway foreign conflict of which the electorate grows tired, may be the Achilles heel of this government.
    That and an egregious cock-up being never far away.

Johnson seemed to do a new, offensive thing every 6-9 months so we are about due. Probably overdue for a fresh money related scandal. We'll have to wait and see who is paying for his 2022 summer holiday because he fucking won't be.
    Supposedly he cant, which is frankly scandal in itself. What person on 140k a year, a decrease on what he used to get, cannot afford anything?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    biggles said:

Wheat up 40% this week.

I could do losing a couple of stone. Low carb diet it is.

Wheat up 40% this week.

Which possibly = famine in Egypt, which is hugely dependent on Ukrainian wheat exports
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    RobD said:

theakes said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/a-huge-convoy-of-british-military...
    Hope you can open this, large column of British armour heading at speed for the Estonia/Russian border, tanks etc, this is part of the 1800 UK led battle group for that state, being supported by 300 French arriving there within 24 hours.
    So it begins?

Your link doesn't work, and it would be weird if it did since it seems to be to something in the car features section.
    Here it is: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/a-huge-convoy-of-british-military-vehicles-spotted-driving-through-estonia/vi-AAUz6uc
    Not an unexpected development, we said on 18 feb this was happening

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2022/02/exercise-iron-surge-bolsters-nato/
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481

JP Morgan reckon RU will lose 11% drop in GDP in this crisis.

Not sure that is enough. Is it based on the idea that at some point sanity will prevail?
    Telegraph doesn't say.

I can't find an original press release on Morgan website.
    glw said:

biggles said:

Taz said:

Wheat up 40% this week.

Inflation is not going away and will get very ugly later in the year.
    Boris gets to blame Russia though. All economic disruption becomes Covid or Russia and any issue from Brexit are lost in the margins. If he can be seen to be tough on the first two, and a “strong leader” he might do ok out of this politically.
    Who the feck cares about Brexit anymore? Might as well have been an event in the last century now.

We are quite possibly only days away from a war across europe.
    Indeed, Boris thought he'd put the pandemic to bed (that's not true anyway) and that it was full-speed ahead with Levelling Up and Build Back Better. None of that is happening now, litterally only one thing matters now, stopping Putin before he starts World War III. Even if Putin has the Russian army turn around today the Western world has to abruptly change what it has been doing for decades and prepare for the worst, because until Putin is dead and long gone we cannot trust Russia to not repeat the attack on Ukraine.
    Yep. Totally agree.

Johnson's domestic agenda is done. Toast. Caput. We are at war in all but name.

We need to pivot massively. And I mean massively.

Not sure Johnson is up to it to be honest, but we are stuck with him now. No way MPs will move against him in the current crisis.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Polish border with Ukraine. This is the best of humanity. People driving from all over Europe to offer refugees a lift and a room. @itvnews #ukraine https://twitter.com/romillyweeks/status/1499669383672643584/video/1

all over Europe.

Not the UK
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    RobD said:

theakes said:

Hope you can open this, large column of British armour heading at speed for the Estonia/Russian border, tanks etc, this is part of the 1800 UK led battle group for that state, being supported by 300 French arriving there within 24 hours.
    So it begins?

Your link doesn't work, and it would be weird if it did since it seems to be to something in the car features section.
    Here it is: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/a-huge-convoy-of-british-military-vehicles-spotted-driving-through-estonia/vi-AAUz6uc
    I wonder if that's headed towards Narva/Ivangorod or south towards Pskov.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

First!

I am not an economist, but surely there comes a point where price rises might slow or even reverse. If things get really bad, the economy could properly tank.

A bit of a stupid comment I know but couldn't one response be to mandate people to work from home as with the Covid crisis? Obviously not all can but it would presumably reduce fuel usage / traffic
    they'll be asking folk to share baths next (only older PB'ers will know what I mean)
    Did it ever stop I did not know that. We will be back to using the kitchen sink next.
    Like old man Steptoe
    That was a horrific sight indeed.
    Grotesque, yet in real life he was really dapper. Dressed extremely well.
    Great programme in its day mind you , both of them played their parts brilliantly.
    They did and although they didn’t get on they ended up stuck with each other as their other work dried up so they ended up touring for several years. BBC4, a few years back, did an excellent drama about the two and their relationship. When Steptoe met Son. Jason Isaacs and Phil Davis were very good in it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    I presume this bollocks is for domestic consumption only ?
    https://twitter.com/polinaivanovva/status/1499716111188860928
    Extraordinary comments from Putin just now.
    Says Russia has “no ill intentions towards its neighbours” and calls for international cooperation to return, for relations to normalize
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    Scott_xP said:

Polish border with Ukraine. This is the best of humanity. People driving from all over Europe to offer refugees a lift and a room. @itvnews #ukraine https://twitter.com/romillyweeks/status/1499669383672643584/video/1

all over Europe.

Not the UK

You can be sure there is no one from the UK there?
    Applicant said:

Phil said:

Meanwhile, everyone's favourite journalist, Carole Cadwalladr, thinks Gavin Williamson was knighted as part of Boris's cover-up of Russian links, or something.

NEW: Boris Johnson awards Gavin Williamson a knighthood.

Why *now*? In middle of Russian crisis?

He was appointed defence secretary in Nov 2017 at exact moment, FBI revealed its Trump-Russia investigation began in London.

Is this relevant?

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1499482812889681921

Carole can be a tad one note, but honestly: can you come up with /any/ sensible reason for Gavin Williamson to be knighted at this specific point in time? (Lets put aside the absurdity of knighting Gavin Williamson at all for the moment...)

It’s not even gong-passing out season, so this is clearly something that Gavin has been able to insist happens right now & not at some later time.
    It's definitely not this, but if Gav has volunteered to don blue and yellow and head to Kyiv this weekend it would make the timing reasonable.
    I thought penal battalions had gone out of favour.
    In his case more a penile battalion.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Wheat up 40% this week.

I could do losing a couple of stone. Low carb diet it is.

Wheat up 40% this week.

Which possibly = famine in Egypt, which is hugely dependent on Ukrainian wheat exports
    Last time wheat and rice prices soared, in spring 2011, it triggered the Arab spring. That was related to Australian drought (and exacerbated by drought in the Med), so a climatic trigger. This one is a geopolitical trigger.

The one climatological actor in this war is temperature. The mild winter and early spring in Ukraine has meant the mud season starting early and kept Russian armoured vehicles to roads, where (in the North) they've been getting stuck. In the drier South that seems to be less of a problem.

It's turning cold (sub-zero) for a couple of days, before warming up again. Probably not cold enough to freeze the ground fully.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    It comes to something when HYUFD is speaking more sense than most people on here.

So let’s say it again. S L O W L Y

A no fly zone requires NATO to shoot down Russian planes and bomb Russian assets on the ground. Most likely including on the Russian side of the border, given they would be firing back from there. It is hot war with a nuclear power, currently run by an apparently unhinged dictator. And he doesn’t just have nukes. He has an active biochemical weapons programme, as well as the ability to weaponise space and interrupt subsea comms.

It is awful that we have to witness the destruction of Ukraine. But we made our choice a long time ago, when we flirted with but never admitted Ukraine to NATO. The only way to stop the kind of flagrant abuses Russia is inflicting on Ukraine, is to make sure the conventional deterrent to invasion is so great that he never tries in the first place. That horse has bolted in their case and our options are sadly far weaker than we would like.

And that I’m afraid is the lesson we must draw. No more “well a minor incursion isn’t an invasion”. Instead it’s unambiguous intent to defend with overwhelming conventional power, such that not a single tank, infantry brigade or aircraft can cross the border into a NATO state. Non-NATO members are no doubt learning this lesson fast.

So cheer for a no fly zone all you want if it helps get you through the day. But be under no doubt that you’re calling for a multiplication of death and suffering that could very easily lead to your own door.

And by the way, go back and look carefully at exactly what happened overnight. Did Russian troops fire recklessly on a nuclear reactor? Or did they deliberately fire on an office building in the complex knowing how this would be presented in the Western media?
    Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

For all that this outpouring of humanity has been heartening to see, the contrast with what happened to Syrian refugees in exactly the same countries is hard to ignore and rather tragic.

It's certainly made me question why I turned a blind eye to what Russia was helping Assad to do in Syria.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

First!

I am not an economist, but surely there comes a point where price rises might slow or even reverse. If things get really bad, the economy could properly tank.

A bit of a stupid comment I know but couldn't one response be to mandate people to work from home as with the Covid crisis? Obviously not all can but it would presumably reduce fuel usage / traffic
    they'll be asking folk to share baths next (only older PB'ers will know what I mean)
    Did it ever stop I did not know that. We will be back to using the kitchen sink next.
    Like old man Steptoe
    Well..

Oly Duff@olyduff·1h🇺🇦 NEW: i Ukraine Appeal w/ @decappeal

🇬🇧 UK Govt will match donations, up to £20m
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    edited March 2022

"Extraordinary comments from Putin just now.

Says Russia has “no ill intentions towards its neighbours” and calls for international cooperation to return, for relations to normalize. "We see no need to exacerbate the situation or worsen our relations," Putin said. "I think everyone should think about normalising relations and cooperating normally.""

Starting to realise that they've screwed up? Massive disconnect from the Macron call, so maybe this is for domestic consumption to claim that the West is persecuting him?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

For all that this outpouring of humanity has been heartening to see, the contrast with what happened to Syrian refugees in exactly the same countries is hard to ignore and rather tragic.

It's certainly made me question why I turned a blind eye to what Russia was helping Assad to do in Syria.
    Anyone heard from Ed Miliband recently?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/29/miliband-labour_n_3834361.html

David Cameron's advisors could not contain their fury at Labour's decision not to back military action in Syria until after the conclusion of a UN inspection and report.

“No 10 and the Foreign Office think Ed Miliband is a f***ing c**t and a copper-bottomed shit. The French hate him now and he’s got no chance of building an alliance with the US Democratic Party,” one Government source told The Times.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Nigelb said:

Says Russia has “no ill intentions towards its neighbours” and calls for international cooperation to return, for relations to normalize

Sounds desperate , moaning about the sanctions which apparently were no problem for Russia last week .
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,101

I'm not about to do a multivariate regression, but in 2021 for every $1 Brent Crude rose, pump prices rose 1.42p/l. Brent Crude would therefore need to rise a further 33% or so for pump prices to hit £2 a litre. Not quite as reassuring as other methods of calculation.

My analysis did seem to suggest that in part, retailers actually soak their fixed costs and don't pass them on at the pump in the way you would expect. Perhaps this is driven by other sales at petrol stations or tie-ins to supermarkets.

Also worth considering that 67% of the cost of a litre of petrol (more for diesel) goes to the Government in tax and VAT. They are not helpless in this and could, if they chose, mitigate the price rises at the pumps.

Whether they should or not is obviously a matter of opinion but that is a political decision.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    Nigelb said:

Basically, he sees Ukraine as Russian territory, and therefore not a neighbour.

Sadly, the international community have disagreed with him over this for a few decades.

For this reason, it would be good to know what he defines 'neighbours' as.

We should normalise nothing until he removes troops from Ukraine.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

Is it because they are feeling guilty about all the money they are shovelling into Putin's war machine via payments for gas?

Money they are paying as we speak?

There's a strong argument that Merkel led Europe created this f8cking monster. Helping Ukrainians really is the very least they can do.
    edited March 2022
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

Not to mention us turning a blind eye to what's happened in Yemen, though being somewhat more complicit in that hot mess and the inhabitants being really quite brown may explain that.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Sivakov granted switch from Russian to French nationality

UCI accepts request from Ineos rider in light of Russian invasion of Ukraine

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sivakov-granted-switch-from-russian-to-french-nationality/

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

First!

Like old man Steptoe
    Well..

That proves my point !
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Chameleon said:

Says Russia has “no ill intentions towards its neighbours” and calls for international cooperation to return, for relations to normalize. "We see no need to exacerbate the situation or worsen our relations," Putin said. "I think everyone should think about normalising relations and cooperating normally.""

Starting to realise that they've screwed up? Massive disconnect from the Macron call, so maybe this is for domestic consumption to claim that the West is persecuting him?

And confuse the West.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    moonshine said:

It comes to something when HYUFD is speaking more sense than most people on here.

A no fly zone requires NATO to shoot down Russian planes and bomb Russian assets on the ground. Most likely including on the Russian side of the border, given they would be firing back from there. It is hot war with a nuclear power, currently run by an apparently unhinged dictator. And he doesn’t just have nukes. He has an active biochemical weapons programme, as well as the ability to weaponise space and interrupt subsea comms.

It is awful that we have to witness the destruction of Ukraine. But we made our choice a long time ago, when we flirted with but never admitted Ukraine to NATO. The only way to stop the kind of flagrant abuses Russia is inflicting on Ukraine, is to make sure the conventional deterrent to invasion is so great that he never tries in the first place. That horse has bolted in their case and our options are sadly far weaker than we would like.

And that I’m afraid is the lesson we must draw. No more “well a minor incursion isn’t an invasion”. Instead it’s unambiguous intent to defend with overwhelming conventional power, such that not a single tank, infantry brigade or aircraft can cross the border into a NATO state. Non-NATO members are no doubt learning this lesson fast.

So cheer for a no fly zone all you want if it helps get you through the day. But be under no doubt that you’re calling for a multiplication of death and suffering that could very easily lead to your own door.

And by the way, go back and look carefully at exactly what happened overnight. Did Russian troops fire recklessly on a nuclear reactor? Or did they deliberately fire on an office building in the complex knowing how this would be presented in the Western media?

I generally agree with most of your post, but the last bit seems unlikely to me. People love to see strategy, where in fact, there is none. Most likely hyped-up, poorly trained soldiers in a firefight that spilled over to the nuclear complex.
    New: Sainsbury’s no longer selling products 100% sourced from Russia including Russian Standard Vodka. Also renaming chicken Kiev to chicken Kyiv https://twitter.com/sebwhale/status/1499726023860142081/photo/1
  • moonshine said:

Your last paragraph is nonsensical. You don't try to fire anything anywhere near a nuclear reactor complex. It's that simple.
    I agree. It speaks to me of an indisciplined and incompetent force rather than some clever plan.

That would of course be consistent with much we have seen from the Russian Army and Government in recent weeks.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

The fact that Russia even thought it was a good idea to attack anything near a nuclear reactor is a game changer .

What if the attack had actually hit the reactor itself .

Any further attacks of that manner should be deemed an attack on fellow NATO countries who could see a catastrophe unfold if the next time a reactor is hit .

The risks are so high that I think any blurred messaging should be avoided. (By Western leaders, I mean, not so much on here!). The line needs to be kept simple and binary. NATO will not defend Ukraine. NATO *will* engage if a member state is attacked. This is the right stance at this point imo. The incident with the power station doesn't change that.
    We need to distinguish between what we would ideally like to happen and what actually is now possible.

From here, if Zelensky saves 80 per cent of the Ukraine from becoming a smoking & desolate ruin, that is an excellent result.

Putin will die or be killed sooner or later, and a saner Russian leader will emerge.
    Your final six words are a tad optimistic.
    The form book may suggest otherwise.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

I'm not about to do a multivariate regression, but in 2021 for every $1 Brent Crude rose, pump prices rose 1.42p/l. Brent Crude would therefore need to rise a further 33% or so for pump prices to hit £2 a litre. Not quite as reassuring as other methods of calculation.

My analysis did seem to suggest that in part, retailers actually soak their fixed costs and don't pass them on at the pump in the way you would expect. Perhaps this is driven by other sales at petrol stations or tie-ins to supermarkets.

Also worth considering that 67% of the cost of a litre of petrol (more for diesel) goes to the Government in tax and VAT. They are not helpless in this and could, if they chose, mitigate the price rises at the pumps.

Whether they should or not is obviously a matter of opinion but that is a political decision.
    At £1.50/l, the government takes 55% of that in duty and VAT. The duty rates are the same petrol/disel and at the moment, so are pump prices.

However, your point stands that were petrol to go towards £2, it is possible they would be cut. However, my expectation is they would only do so as a result of market shock, and the government would only react after, so for the purpose of the header, the £2 would still be reached.

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    moonshine said:

I'm not sure about Nato membership being the issue. I think we should have imposed further sanctions once the Russian build up on the Ukrainian border was clear. It was doing real damage to the Ukrainian economy which in and of itself was justification for sanctions.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 682
    Fuel at Esso Flamstead near Markyate (Herts) this morning £1.59.9 Unleaded £1.69.9 diesel.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,110
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

And confuse the West.
    It is possible, if unlikely, that an olive branch is being extended. Time for President Macron to get back on the phone, perhaps.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138
    Scott_xP said:

New: Sainsbury’s no longer selling products 100% sourced from Russia including Russian Standard Vodka. Also renaming chicken Kiev to chicken Kyiv https://twitter.com/sebwhale/status/1499726023860142081/photo/1

Whilst we are at it, perhaps the western media could also decide the correct international spelling of Putin is actually Putain....
  • kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

And confuse the West.
    Nobody is confused.

Putin is a lying tnuc. Lots of people knew it before, now the world does.
    edited March 2022
    [Deleted.]
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

The fact that Russia even thought it was a good idea to attack anything near a nuclear reactor is a game changer .

Any further attacks of that manner should be deemed an attack on fellow NATO countries who could see a catastrophe unfold if the next time a reactor is hit .

The risks are so high that I think any blurred messaging should be avoided. (By Western leaders, I mean, not so much on here!). The line needs to be kept simple and binary. NATO will not defend Ukraine. NATO *will* engage if a member state is attacked. This is the right stance at this point imo. The incident with the power station doesn't change that.
    We need to distinguish between what we would ideally like to happen and what actually is now possible.

From here, if Zelensky saves 80 per cent of the Ukraine from becoming a smoking & desolate ruin, that is an excellent result.

Putin will die or be killed sooner or later, and a saner Russian leader will emerge.
    There is an old chestnut to the effect that every chapter in Russian history ends with the words, and then things got worse.

Scott_xP said:

Whilst we are at it, perhaps the western media could also decide the correct international spelling of Putin is actually Putain....
    You could probably start by convincing Russia Today, which also uses Putin.
    Erm, woosh. It is an insult.
    moonshine said:

A NFZ means a total no holds bar war of utter destruction, NATO vs Russia.

The 'something must be done now brigade' need to sit down and calmly think what that means for them and their families and their country.

I remain confident that Biden will veto any such plan at this stage.
    edited March 2022

Scott_xP said:

Yes indeed! Although maybe you should still try to convince RT.
    moonshine said:

I thought UAPs were especially active around such places. Perhaps a false flag operation run by the Arcturans?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    Scott_xP said:

I think I fancy as Lamb Chennai for tea this evening....

moonshine said:

I'm not sure about Nato membership being the issue. I think we should have imposed further sanctions once the Russian build up on the Ukrainian border was clear. It was doing real damage to the Ukrainian economy which in and of itself was justification for sanctions.
    The only reason the sanctions are working so well is because they are being applied indiscriminately across the whole of industry and across the world. You’d never have got such consensus to apply such strong sanctions prior to an invasion. All you’d have had was Putin using them as a propaganda device to argue he was forced to invade by those evil westerners acting in a hostile way to impoverish we entirely innocent Russians.

• bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636

Scott_xP said:

I think the correct spelling is c##t.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,065
    I have moved areas and in the interregnum between the old social media policy and the new I believe I am allowed to post within certain parameters. Given that, you may be interested to know the following details on how to donate to appeals for the Ukraine

1) Disasters Emergency Committee 2) British Red Cross
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

We have speculated about Putin's health here recently. We've also made comments about timing and readiness: we're a little puzzled that he invaded now, rather than in two months' time. Could it be that his health is even worse than we thought? That his time left can be measured in months rather than years? Is that the imperative for acting now?

The question of why now is probably just the Olympics and not further pissing off China.
    Yes, I think so. The idea Putin is sick - other than in the head - strikes me as wishful speculation. He might be but I can't see the evidence. He looks ok to me.
    That moon face is either botched surgery or corticosteroids, and I don't think he's a facial procedure kinda guy. That plus the insane distancing stuff: Trump has a germ phobia but that has always been known. It is more likely that it is rational because he is immunocompromised than that it's a phobia which has come from nowhere. I think he has got cancer.
    Well that'd be nice - but I'm not really seeing it myself. His face does look kind of round and punchable but I'm putting that down to other things, esp the latter quality.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138

Scott_xP said:

I think I fancy as Lamb Chennai for tea this evening....
    And there really is nothing chicken about Kyiv, so it should be made with a feistier meat in future, kangaroo perhaps?
    I mentioned I'd bought something on ebay from Dnipro a couple of weeks ago.
    I sense this isn't good news :/

Відправлення оброблене в установі обміну країни подачі і вже перебуває у транзиті до країни призначення
    edited March 2022
    ping said:

moonshine said:

I generally agree with most of your post, but the last bit seems unlikely to me. People love to see strategy, where in fact, there is none. Most likely hyped-up, poorly trained soldiers in a firefight that spilled over to the nuclear complex.
    Perhaps. And it’s a terrible idea to be firing weapons any where in that area. But we should not let our emotions lull us into a far more reckless action, when in the cold light of day the risk of meltdown was orders of magnitude lower than it may have seemed at 3am.
    NEW: @IpsosUK finds the majority of Brits support making it easier for Ukrainian refugees to come to Britain, with 60% supporting removing all restrictions https://twitter.com/KellyIpsosUK/status/1499727913394049026/photo/1
  • Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

First!

Like old man Steptoe
    "Dapper" being code for something else back in the sixties.
    It was always apparent that a war in Ukraine was going to send a wave of refugees across Europe. I didn't anticipate that such a significant number of the people fleeing would be Russians leaving Russia. https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1499717062675030017
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    moonshine said:

You don't need to shoot down Russian planes in Russia. You just don't enforce the NFZ within 20 miles of the Russian border.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688

kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

And confuse the West.
    Nobody is confused.

Putin is a lying tnuc. Lots of people knew it before, now the world does.
    It's very true. Russian propaganda pushes the line tat no one "understands" them.

The problem for them is that now everyone understands perfectly what Russia led by Putin means.
    Aslan said:

moonshine said:

You don't need to shoot down Russian planes in Russia. You just don't enforce the NFZ within 20 miles of the Russian border.
    You either impose a no fly zone or you don’t. If you do, you have to suppress all enemy air defence in range to keep your aircraft flying, as well as shoot down theirs. As many have said, it’s war. It’s also impossible to do in Ukraine without the US so it’s Biden’s call and he ain’t moving.
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

There is scant reassurance out there, but a scan of a few Wikipedia entries is worthwhile I think.

- Cuban Missile Crisis - it's clear we got very much closer to actual direct confrontation (including depth charges against a Russian sub and US planes being shot down) than we are currently
    - Franco and the Spanish Civil war - the bloody annihilation strategy Franco practised against Republican cities and his Putin-like attitude to the breakaway regions are horrific, but eventually he calmed down. It's not impossible.
    - Iran-Iraq war: an evil totalitarian dictator vs a fanatical theocracy, both armed with modern weapons, got bogged down and eventually petered out. Saddam then stayed quiet until Gulf War 1, and Iran has not fought a direct confrontation since, just indulged in proxy conflicts.

I think recency bias means we look at what's happening and think it's more unprecedented than it really is.

Scott_xP said:

I knew it was in French, but apparently also in Welsh!

• MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

We have speculated about Putin's health here recently. We've also made comments about timing and readiness: we're a little puzzled that he invaded now, rather than in two months' time. Could it be that his health is even worse than we thought? That his time left can be measured in months rather than years? Is that the imperative for acting now?

The question of why now is probably just the Olympics and not further pissing off China.
    Yes, I think so. The idea Putin is sick - other than in the head - strikes me as wishful speculation. He might be but I can't see the evidence. He looks ok to me.
    That moon face is either botched surgery or corticosteroids, and I don't think he's a facial procedure kinda guy. That plus the insane distancing stuff: Trump has a germ phobia but that has always been known. It is more likely that it is rational because he is immunocompromised than that it's a phobia which has come from nowhere. I think he has got cancer.
    Well that'd be nice - but I'm not really seeing it myself. His face does look kind of round and punchable but I'm putting that down to other things, esp the latter quality.
    I was on a call last night and the woman whom I was speaking to (a senior figure in the media world) was saying that look of Putin's is totally from plastic surgery
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Scott_xP said:

It was always apparent that a war in Ukraine was going to send a wave of refugees across Europe. I didn't anticipate that such a significant number of the people fleeing would be Russians leaving Russia. https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1499717062675030017

To the Finland station redux.

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

Speak for yourself. You might not want them here but many in the U.K. do. Never had you down as anti-refugee Scott.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

First!

Like old man Steptoe
    Well..

I think TSE modelled himself on old man Steptoe.
    Jens Stoltenberg refusing any sort of ambiguity in NATOs position . The journalists tried but he was having none of it .
    Despite the heroic Ukraine defence NATO Secretary, Jens Stoltenberg, has just condemned Ukraine to a slow death and eventual Putin puppet state status - No NATO no fly zone or troops on the ground. The cheers you hear come from the Kremlin.

Sudetenland and Czechoslavakia 1938 rinse and repeat.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

moonshine said:

In retrospect yes, but they probably didn't want to provoke the invasion which many thought might not actually happen.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

Not to mention us turning a blind eye to what's happened in Yemen, though being somewhat more complicit in that hot mess and the inhabitants being really quite brown may explain that.
    UK aided and abetted in Yemen and still doing so. Criminal.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

Speak for yourself. You might not want them here but many in the U.K. do. Never had you down as anti-refugee Scott.
    It sounds like the sort of kind and well-meaning gesture that could be counter-productive and cause massive chaos for the authorities trying to manage the situation.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    JACK_W said:

Despite the heroic Ukraine defence NATO Secretary, Jens Stoltenberg, has just condemned Ukraine to a slow death and eventual Putin puppet state status - No NATO no fly zone or troops on the ground. The cheers you hear come from the Kremlin.

Yep
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

That’s not what Scott was suggesting . Not sure how you got that from his post .
    nico679 said:

Jens Stoltenberg refusing any sort of ambiguity in NATOs position . The journalists tried but he was having none of it .

He is excellent as a speaker, all the more so given it’s at least his second language.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    I really hope there are lots of calls going on between Beijing and saner voices in the Kremlin.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664
    Missed this on QT last night. SNP doubling down on stripping away UK's nuclear deterrence.

The guy with his head in his hands is Konstantin Kisin, a kind of Russian version of Volodymyr Zelensky, ie, comedian going into politics. Sadly, not much chance of him being elected president anytime soon.

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1499531543093682180
    felix said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

It sounds like the sort of kind and well-meaning gesture that could be counter-productive and cause massive chaos for the authorities trying to manage the situation.
    Leave it to government then? Unexpected from a Tory.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    The Russians are claiming that Zelensky is now in Poland.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    tlg86 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

David Cameron's advisors could not contain their fury at Labour's decision not to back military action in Syria until after the conclusion of a UN inspection and report.

“No 10 and the Foreign Office think Ed Miliband is a f***ing c**t and a copper-bottomed shit. The French hate him now and he’s got no chance of building an alliance with the US Democratic Party,” one Government source told The Times.
    There is a good case to be made that Ed Miliband has (inadvertently) had the worst impact of any Brit in recent history. Brexit, Corbyn and Syria decision. Not to mention the ******* Climate Change Act.

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

tlg86 said:

First!

Like old man Steptoe
    "Dapper" being code for something else back in the sixties.
    "Confirmed bachelor"?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    JACK_W said:

Being sensible, it depends on a psychiatric assessment which is very difficult to make.

Should we risk nuclear war? I don't think Putin is quite mad enough, and I don't think if he gave the order it would be obeyed. But I think the stakes are too high to take the chance.

tlg86 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

There is a good case to be made that Ed Miliband has (inadvertently) had the worst impact of any Brit in recent history. Brexit, Corbyn and Syria decision. Not to mention the ******* Climate Change Act.
    Worse than that. I now think twice about eating bacon sarnies in public.
    JACK_W said:

And the cheers you don't hear are from the millions of victims of all out nuclear war who are not going to be that, because of Stoltenbergs words, and are only not cheering because they don't know that

It's like not changing the clocks in winter. If it saves 2000 lives in the evening but kills an extra 200 in the darker mornings that's a net saving, but the 200 make the news while the 2000 are unidentifiable.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140

felix said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

Leave it to government then? Unexpected from a Tory.
    Of course. If you take my advice you'll turn back right now...
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited March 2022

Missed this on QT last night. SNP doubling down on stripping away UK's nuclear deterrence.

The guy with his head in his hands is Konstantin Kisin, a kind of Russian version of Volodymyr Zelensky, ie, comedian going into politics. Sadly, not much chance of him being elected president anytime soon.

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1499531543093682180

I don't think Kisin is thinking of going anywhere near elected office. I believe he has given up being a comedian as well. His bit on Corbyn / Brexit / Russians was very funny.
  • FossFoss Posts: 899
    RobD said:

theakes said:

So it begins?

The Americans are in the process of waking up an armoured brigade in Germany.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    Aslan said:

moonshine said:

The long range Russian SAM systems can reach out far more than 20 miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-400_missile_system#Statistics

tlg86 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

It's a case that's made on here at least weekly so I think everyone's familiar with it, second only to it's all Merkel's fault.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    edited March 2022

tlg86 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

The Syria decision was actually the right one. However bad Assad is, ISIS taking over in Syria would have been worse
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,065
    I realise that many of you get your news and analysis from sites like Triggernometry, Unherd, Quillete et al, but may I politely suggest that in a military conflict such sources may prove wildly inadequate? Instead may I recommend the Task and Purpose YouTubers, who have started an irregular series on the Ukraine conflict [TL:DR: despite unexpectedly strong resistance the Russians are on schedule]. The links are below. The vlog tone is lighthearted, which they are finding increasingly difficult to maintain as the war progresses and they are quietly going apeshit about it. (the zeroth episode is before the war started)
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

I really hope there are lots of calls going on between Beijing and saner voices in the Kremlin.

And between the West and Beijing.
    Anyone telling the truth about the war in Ukraine inside Russia is now a criminal facing 15 years in prison. Russia is racing towards Super North Korea status. https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1499657520356409344
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    edited March 2022
    JACK_W said:

If Hitler had had nuclear weapons in 1939 like Putin does now we may not even have gone to war with the Nazis after they invaded Poland.

Thankfully the US got the atom bomb before the Nazis did
    felix said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

all over Europe.

Not the UK

Quite so. Exactly the sort of thoughtless interference condemned in the parable of the good samaritan

You'll be fine, they're unlikely to cross the pyrenees

The Russians are claiming that Zelensky is now in Poland.

Pre the age of the internet and much better communications this constant lying might have had an impact but Russia seem to be living in the past if they think it will wash in the west .
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    JACK_W said:

Sadly we don't have any other option.

Attack Russia and parts of Western Europe will consist of molten glass..
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    Chameleon said:

If firing thermobaric weapons at your neighbours doesn't constitute ill intentions, we wouldn't want to see what happens if you really fall out.
    Chris said:

JACK_W said:

Being sensible, it depends on a psychiatric assessment which is very difficult to make.

Should we risk nuclear war? I don't think Putin is quite mad enough, and I don't think if he gave the order it would be obeyed. But I think the stakes are too high to take the chance.
    Putin is relying on this weakness. We tackle Putin or he takes confidence from his eventual victory and will roll up other states with impunity. Democracy comes at a cost and if we do not defend it then we are lost
This discussion has been closed.