Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Off to PB’s 18th birthday party – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,939
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨 🚨

Michael Gove is drawing up plans to seize British property owned by Russian oligarchs with links to President Vladimir Putin, without paying them compensation

via @FT
    https://on.ft.com/3sDqdcp

'Links to' is woolly. No one likes oligarchs or what they do, but such proposals would have to be very carefully set out.
    Asset seizures like this are likely to be a violation of Article 1 of the Human Rights Act. It is very unwise, even if other countries are doing the same thing.

It is a slippery slope to a point where a future government decide to seize assets owned by people connected to Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

The Russian Ambassador to the UN has just described Trump as “illegally overthrown”.

He's definitely going to be a major fall-guy in this. It's all gone wrong at the UN on his watch.
    Only once the Russian government cares what the UN thinks
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,904

The Russian Ambassador to the UN has just described Trump as “illegally overthrown”.

And that, however ridiculous, is why letting the Trumps of the world push their idiocy is such a bad idea (beyond the obvious). For home consumption in Russia they can play footage of Trump, and his many supporters, saying the same thing.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    Pulpstar said:

ping said:
    Russians hoping it'll hit 200...

" давай 200 "...
    $150 in the next week or so according to CNBC finance.

We will see.

Inflation is going to keep on going higher.
  • Options
    ping said:
    At what price do oil fields west of Shetland become economically viable?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,613
    edited March 2022

Re UN vote.

I understand why India is “neutral”, but it’s not a great showing for a wannabe great power.

Interesting to see that swathe of Africa morally compromised by dependence on China.
    Very surprised to see South Africa as one of them. Doesn’t speak well of their political or economic orientation, frankly.

India was neutral thoughout the Cold War so their position is hardly a surprise. South Africa is governed by the ANC who were also not exactly in the US camp during the Cold War either (perhaps understandable given the apartheid National Party government was firmly anti Communist).

In fact even the Taliban is more anti Russian than India and South Africa, hence it voted with the General Assembly majority this evening. Memories of Russian occupation of Afghanistan giving them some affinity with Ukraine. Nigeria, the biggest nation in Africa by population, also voted to condemn Russia's actions
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,146

moonshine said:

glw said:

eek said:

A thread on how isolated Moscow is - even the Russian facing new Countries are helping Ukraine https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1499094300973576195

Well yes, because even governments that are broadly sympathetic to Russia still want either to be independent states or to be able to choose their own non-puppet government. There must be a lot of Russia's friends who are thinking "we could be next".
    South Africa and India though. WTF.
    I don't know what India's track record is of voting on resolutions about other conflicts. I could easily imagine that they have a policy of not passing judgement on conflicts elsewhere, because they don't want other countries passing judgement on the conflict in Kashmir.

However, it is the sort of thing that would make one pause about the idea of forming a D10 group of nations with India involved.
    Hallo! My name is Juergen Sunil. I feel I must apologise for my nation-of-birth's conduct during the Ukraine War.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,036
    Bill Browder makes a good point on a no fly zone.

I still think the idea is totally batshit, but he does note that they could be justified under the UK/US/Russia territorial integrity agreement from 1994.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: Senior Chinese officials asked senior Russian officials to delay an invasion of Ukraine until after the Winter Olympics, according to U.S. & European officials. They cited a Western intelligence report. Xi & Putin met on Feb. 4. w/ @julianbarnes. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/us/politics/russia-ukraine-china.html

As many people here, including myself, predicted.
    So the Chinese were warned that an invasion was due. By the Russians, looking for support, or the US, looking to prevent it. Was China playing both sides off against each other?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,327
    @JimmySecUKThe Russians are burning through some of their most modern and most sophisticated equipment at a incredibly fast rate.

This Kamov Ka-52 Alligator was reportedly damaged during a skirmish with a Ukrainian helicopter, forced to land, and was then captured by Ukrainian forces.🇺🇦

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1499112711719993357
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,016

Re UN vote.

I understand why India is “neutral”, but it’s not a great showing for a wannabe great power.

Interesting to see that swathe of Africa morally compromised by dependence on China.
    Very surprised to see South Africa as one of them. Doesn’t speak well of their political or economic orientation, frankly.

Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka too.

I've not looked at their individual explanations, but 'staying out of it' seems reasonable even if we don't like it.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233

ping said:
    Surely the SNP regime won’t allow them to be exploited. All to save the planet.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

" давай 200 "...

We will see.

We’re going to keep testing central banker’s models.

Some of the inflation is a covid supply shock. Some of it is a russian supply shock. And some of it is “expectations”.

Only the last bit is responsive to interest rate rises.

Lucky we have Andrew Bailey at the helm.

Oh.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,127
    Omnium said:

Re UN vote.

I've not looked at their individual explanations, but 'staying out of it' seems reasonable even if we don't like it.

For countries like Sri Lanka and Pakistan it is almost certainly a case of "don't annoy China, so do what they do"

eg Sri Lanka is close to default and entirely dependant on Chinese debt and aid (and not happy about it, but there it is)

India is more a case of Just Have An Independent Voice, I suspect (ie don't vote with the West OR Russia)

I'm actually surprised by how many countries with a dependence on either Russia and/or China have actually been brave enough to say "No, this invasion sucks"
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,393
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Alas my diary changed and I am in Aberdeenshire and not that London. Next time...

Maybe have one somewhere like Leeds or Newcastle or Manchester ?
    We often say this.
    Much though it pains me to admit it, I can see why London ones work best. While it's not very central, there are simply more of us within an hour or so of London than anywhere else.
    But if we ever do Manchester, Liverpool Leeds or Sheffield I'm in.
    A vote for Leeds from me.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,309
    Taz said:

ping said:
    UKG "regime" decision, not Scottish Gmt. Look up the devolution settlement.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Omnium said:

Re UN vote.

Bangladesh and Sri Lanka do what China tell them to do. Pakistan too, plus the Russia relationship is important.

India is disappointing but not surprising.

It’s South Africa who is an outlier. I get all the history, but it doesn’t quite have the same complicating factors as India.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,404

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

" давай 200 "...

We will see.

Some of the inflation is a covid supply shock. Some of it is a russian supply shock. And some of it is “expectations”.

Oh.
    The other question is,

is the russian supply shock going away in the next 6 months/year or will there still be an effective embargo on russian oil/gas which keeps the price high long term.

once the war ends how long do the sanctions last (both in law and in pactice)?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,798

ping said:
    It would have to stay higher than that - for a couple of decades.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,829
    edited March 2022
    Taz said:

ping said:
    Can you talk me through how the SNP 'won't allow oil fields to be exploited'?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,551

@JimmySecUKThe Russians are burning through some of their most modern and most sophisticated equipment at a incredibly fast rate.

This Kamov Ka-52 Alligator was reportedly damaged during a skirmish with a Ukrainian helicopter, forced to land, and was then captured by Ukrainian forces.🇺🇦

No doubt the CIA will be happy to pay scrap value for any Russian high tech that becomes available.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,665
    #Ukraine: Another Russian Aircraft falls: an image has emerged of a shot down/crashed Su-25SM (Tail Number: RF-91961), apparently from recent fighting. https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499110279745097728/photo/1

This aircraft (RF-91961, bort # red 07) was one of the Su-25SM attack aircraft deployed from the Eastern Military District to Belarus. It was last photographed in Novosibirsk's Tolmachevo Airport in 2022. Pretty solid confirmation it was lost.
    https://russianplanes.net/id299602 https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499110279745097728 https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499112501996400642/photo/1
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,584
    Russian troops seized the strategically important city of Kherson, Ukrainian officials said, in a significant moment in the battle for the country’s south. Explosions struck the capital, Kyiv, and Russian troops continued to lay siege to Kharkiv.

NY Times
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Re UN vote.

For countries like Sri Lanka and Pakistan it is almost certainly a case of "don't annoy China, so do what they do"

eg Sri Lanka is close to default and entirely dependant on Chinese debt and aid (and not happy about it, but there it is)

India is more a case of Just Have An Independent Voice, I suspect (ie don't vote with the West OR Russia)

I'm actually surprised by how many countries with a dependence on either Russia and/or China have actually been brave enough to say "No, this invasion sucks"
    Their connections to China might be important (not India though), but if I lived in Pakistan (for example) I really would be thinking that I'd seen quite enough of war, thanks very much.

China will condemn the Russians in a few days anyway. Their news sites have ebbed and flowed on the fringes of all this, but (so far as I know) they haven't cut off the social media taps. India, much the same.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,917
    BigRich said:

Taz said:

spudgfsh said:

Andy_JS said:

RT on digital channel 234 is no longer operating. It was yesterday.

it's been removed completely from my Virgin box
    And my Sky app
    easy as it would be to applod this, I have a lot of resevations.

This will give Putin an excuse to bloke/cancel/censer more of the press in Russia, both foren owned and domestic.

RT is so ridicules, it I think it demonstrate that the Russia don't have any justifiable arguments, its certanaly not affecting public opinion here.

International news in Russia, even though not much watched, is at least a glimps of the outside would.
    I don't think it's blocked (Ofcom has not banned it), I suspect it's simply that they can't afford to pay carriage fees.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,221
    Taz said:
    Good god no!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

#Ukraine: Another Russian Aircraft falls: an image has emerged of a shot down/crashed Su-25SM (Tail Number: RF-91961), apparently from recent fighting. https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499110279745097728/photo/1

This aircraft (RF-91961, bort # red 07) was one of the Su-25SM attack aircraft deployed from the Eastern Military District to Belarus. It was last photographed in Novosibirsk's Tolmachevo Airport in 2022. Pretty solid confirmation it was lost.
    https://russianplanes.net/id299602 https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499110279745097728 https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499112501996400642/photo/1

Su-25s date from the Cold War!
  • Options

Taz said:

spudgfsh said:

Andy_JS said:

RT on digital channel 234 is no longer operating. It was yesterday.

it's been removed completely from my Virgin box
    And my Sky app
    Tricky one this as analysts think the response will be to throw the BBC out of RU.
    That's unfair to the BBC, it's the Europeans' fault, they switched off the signal.
    They switched off the signal to Virgin, that notable cable TV operator? The EU's reach is greater than I thought.
  • Options

The Chinese were planning to buy 36 of a naval variant of these - they now want to know how the Russians lost 2 of them so quickly.

eurasiantimes.com
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Omnium said:

Re UN vote.

Imran Khan went to visit Putin the day the Russians invaded Ukraine.
  • Options

No doubt the CIA will be happy to pay scrap value for any Russian high tech that becomes available.
    Indeed. I think one of the unindented consequences of Putin's late middle age meltdown is that the entire RU war machine is now the most photographed and analysed military on the planet.

Good luck keeping anything secret about it all Vlad!

• Options

Omnium said:

Re UN vote.

Imran Khan went to visit Putin the day the Russians invaded Ukraine.
    He was visting, but I can't imagine he was anything other than caught up by circumstances.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,804

No doubt already in Poland.....
  • Options

A deliberate attempt to flatter Trump, and to get him to support Putin.

It may even work.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Su-25s date from the Cold War!
    Cold War 1 you mean.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It may even work.
    When did he stop supporting Putin? I must have missed that.
  • Options

IIRC, that's the same helicopter from Goldeneye.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,422
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Oracle stops working with Russia. If Microsoft does it as well, it will paralyze the country more effectively than your worst virus https://twitter.com/ru_rbc/status/1499095231735730176

What do we have to do to get Oracle to boycott the UK? It would be only upside.
    Based on how user friendly I find most of its iterations, I thought it already had….
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why didn’t they use the ejector seats then?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,798
    rcs1000 said:

That was supposed to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_Tiger

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Oracle stops working with Russia. If Microsoft does it as well, it will paralyze the country more effectively than your worst virus https://twitter.com/ru_rbc/status/1499095231735730176

What do we have to do to get Oracle to boycott the UK? It would be only upside.
    Based on how user friendly I find most of its iterations, I thought it already had….
    It isn't the usability that's the issue. It is the mobsters very nice people in the licensing department.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,827
    rcs1000 said:

Well the one major plus about all this is that we can get a full Bond re-boot to the golden days where it was MI6/CIA v the Russians. Old Skool spy wars. Safari suits and Russian ladies with mysterious double-entendre names - the works!
  • Options

moonshine said:

Chameleon said:

Abramovich is very keen to not get sanctioned:

"In the current situation, I have therefore taken the decision to sell the Club"

"RA adds: "I will not be asking for any loans to be repaid."

"I have instructed my team to set up a charitable foundation where all net proceeds from the sale will be donated. The foundation will be for the benefit of all victims of the war in Ukraine."

£2-3bn will be a good start in terms of reparations.

Weasel words.

He’s transferring the loans to the buyer - they will pay him face value for them.
    Hmmm… how do you know he’s not converting them to equity?
    He might be but would be less tax efficient.

I have a company worth $3bn with $1bn in equity and $2bn in shareholder loans

Pay me $3bn and I’ll transfer you the shares and the loans. I won’t ask the company to repay the loans…
    Indeed that makes sense. If the club isn't going to repay loans then isn't that essentially Abramovich 'gifting' £1.5bn to Chelsea? How does that possibly fit with the bad joke that is called Financial Fair Play?
  • Options
    boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

Well the one major plus about all this is that we can get a full Bond re-boot to the golden days where it was MI6/CIA v the Russians. Old Skool spy wars. Safari suits and Russian ladies with mysterious double-entendre names - the works!
    All this ramping up of defence speninding might have to be ramped back down again when the Russians cease to exist as a miltary agent.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

boulay said:

Putin is following the plot of Octopussy. 40 years old...

A scene from the 1983 Bond movie Octopussy has become, in recent days, unexpectedly eerie.

It’s set within a grand Soviet war room and features a deranged Russian military leader called General Orlov who, predicting Putin, espouses the value of a “lightning thrust” into Europe

Nato, says Orlov, is weak and the invasion would lead to “total victory in five days against any possible defence scenario”.

And why? “The West is decadent and divided, it has no stomach to risk our atomic reprisals”

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1499113724350709765
    So who plays Vijay Amritraj driving the auto-rickshaw? :lol:
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,532
    Russia may invoke martial law tomorrow.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

boulay said:

Putin is following the plot of Octopussy. 40 years old...

A scene from the 1983 Bond movie Octopussy has become, in recent days, unexpectedly eerie.

It’s set within a grand Soviet war room and features a deranged Russian military leader called General Orlov who, predicting Putin, espouses the value of a “lightning thrust” into Europe

Nato, says Orlov, is weak and the invasion would lead to “total victory in five days against any possible defence scenario”.

And why? “The West is decadent and divided, it has no stomach to risk our atomic reprisals”

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1499113724350709765
    So who plays Vijay Amritraj driving the auto-rickshaw? :lol:
    Rishi Sunak
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,880

Scott_xP said:

🚨 🚨

Michael Gove is drawing up plans to seize British property owned by Russian oligarchs with links to President Vladimir Putin, without paying them compensation

via @FT

As above, I don’t agree with this.
    There’s a decent case for freezing assets while investigating illegal activity, but the history of asset seizure at the temporary whim of politicians is not a good one at all.
  • Options

How would they justify that I wonder? Yes yes, aggressive language from NATO, but they are supposed to be talking about how great the not-a-war in Ukraine is going.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,073

In Ukraine? Or Russia?
  • Options

How would anyone really notice the difference…..
  • Options
    boulay said:

How would anyone really notice the difference…..
    I believe the joke is that under martial law they don't yell out 'who goes there?' before they shoot you.
  • Options
    He must have loved every second of delivering that. Top work on his straight face.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,532

In Ukraine? Or Russia?
    Russia. The Guardian have the story.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,541
    biggles said:

He must have loved every second of delivering that. Top work on his straight face.
    The clue was in the opposite of the name, guys...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨 🚨

via @FT

As above, I don’t agree with this.
    There’s a decent case for freezing assets while investigating illegal activity, but the history of asset seizure at the temporary whim of politicians is not a good one at all.
    Totally agree - the UK etc has to be absolutely by the letter of the law on seizures/freezing etc - one of the absolute foundations of the UK as a financial and legal centre is that the rule of law is applied and the rule of law is stable.

If emergency powers are to be created they have to be focussed and very clearly very temporary.
  • Options

Does anyone think that was in the battle plan for week two?
  • Options

but the Army are all in Ukraine. Who is going to police it?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,541
    edited March 2022
    Our troops would be fighting hard in Ukraine.

And with their help, Russia would have won in 48 hours.

Edit - incidentally there was a poster a while back when it was asked if PM Corbyn would send soldiers to Estonia in the event of a Russian invasion, commented drily that Russia could probably manage without their assistance.

I wonder if that poster still thinks the same way. Although the Ukrainian resistance sadly has a feel of slowing the inevitable, the Russian army really has ended up looking rather weak and foolish.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,205
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1499064891986038790

Looks like Russia's encirclement of Kyiv is running into quite a few obstacles.
  • Options
    Germans have seized Alisher Usmanov's yacht in Hamburg! https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1499128423947636739
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It won't need policing. No reason for the people to be remotely unhappy with the fact they can't get their money, can't afford their mortgages, can't get an Apple Phone, can't see the latest movies, and have to send their young sons off to the Ukraine meat grinder.....
  • Options
    Sky news seem to be playing musical chairs with their military advisors. Their chap today is an improvement.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,627

kle4 said:

How would they justify that I wonder? Yes yes, aggressive language from NATO, but they are supposed to be talking about how great the not-a-war in Ukraine is going.
    Nothing is happening, I repeat nothing is happening, we have some mild peacekeeping operations in the Donbas that the locals are throwing flowers at us they're so grateful for our help, but overall nothing is happening.

But you can't have any money out of ATMs, don't bother leaving home with your Mastercard, the stock market has been closed all week and we are implementing martial law.

But nothing is happening.
    If you didn't know about the Ukrainian side of the story and were simply judging things on what is happening in Moscow; special operation in Ukraine, stock market closed, interest rates doubled, measures to stop currency flight, all kinds of businesses and services stopping, and now maybe martial law, what would you think? You would think that Russia is about to go through a coup or revolution.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Germans have seized Alisher Usmanov's yacht in Hamburg! https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1499128423947636739

If they have taken it illegally does that make them “Hamburglers”?

To be fair Ushmanov looks like he’s had a few thousand big Mac’s.

• Options
    If Corbyn had won in 2019 and become PM the UK would almost certainly have abstained on the UN resolution tonight at the General Assembly rather than voted to condemn Russia's invasion as it has done on the Security Council and in the General Assembly
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,527

ping said:
    They already are. I was the Operations Geologist drilling some of them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If Corbyn had won in 2019 and become PM the UK would almost certainly have abstained on the UN resolution tonight at the General Assembly rather than voted to condemn Russia's invasion as it has done on the Security Council and in the General Assembly
    He would have voted against and with Russia
  • Options
  • Options

ping said:
    Interesting. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

Bill Browder makes a good point on a no fly zone.

I still think the idea is totally batshit, but he does note that they could be justified under the UK/US/Russia territorial integrity agreement from 1994.

Few hours ago Ben Wallace said no as it will stop Ukraine doing the good work it’s doing in the air. But everyone is inching towards it though, and West running out of excuses, if Ukraine can keep this fight up long enough.

Everyday This forty mile convoy is in the same glitch in time as Nuclear Fusion just ten years away is. Replace 10 years with just 10K from keev

Does suggest something has gone terribly wrong for Russians, if we believe there’s a forty mile convoy always stuck just 10K from keev every single day

It’s not like they on the M25 or somewhere notorious like that which explains it 🤔

And as Ben Wallace pointed out, a week in and Russia don’t have air superiority, and that would be worse than logistics and their convoy stuck.

(This is me in believing all the news mode, I have gone out and avoided war today)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,527
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Enjoy

Be warned: the weather down here in The Smoke is absolutely vile. Cold wet drenching rain. Certainly doesn't feel like the 2nd day of spring...

It isn't. Spring does not start until 20th March.

I am in Oxford today and also won't be able to go but congrats PM on its 18th birthday and to OGH for launching it and hope those going have a good time
    Just for the pedantry: Meteorological Spring is 1st March.
    Government agencies don't get to decide the seasons, which are set by the cosmos.

The Met Office uses that date for statistical convenience, there is no science behind it.
    Oh not this again.

All season definitions are arbitrary, and can be useful in different ways with varying degrees of usefulness, but if you're going to base them on the solstices and the equinoxes, then those are the mid-points of the seasons. It's the cross-quarter days in between that mark the start/end points of the season (so the astronomical spring started near the start of February).

There must have been an epic misunderstanding at some point for anyone to think that summer started on midsummer's day, but that's no excuse for propagating it.
    Wrong.

Season =! totality of daylight.

Seasonal lag (insolation) means that months with much less daylight are substantially warmer than those with more.

September is notably warmer than May in the UK, despite having considerably less daylight hours!

But the thermal lag is different in different places, so if you want to use temperature to define the seasons then fine - use temperature. But that will give you different dates then the equinoxes and the solstices.

If you're using the solstices and the equinoxes then by definition you're using the length of the days as your definition, and so summer should be the season of your longest days with midsummer at the midpoint.
    The two fallacies in this discussion are (a) that there are precisely four seasons and (b) that they are all the same length.
    Not at all - as I said, season definitions are arbitrary, so you can have as many as you want. I've seen good arguments, for the British climate, in favour of two seasons and six. The first attempt to define the British seasons from weather patterns came up with five.

There are many different ways you can define the seasons, and I find that interesting, but the one definition I can't abide is using the solstices and the equinoxes in a nonsensical way. It makes no sense to say that winter is the season the starts when the days are at their shortest and ends when days and nights are of equal length.
    'Can't abide' seems a bit strong, given that the astronomical definition is a) pretty established and b) makes no attempt to describe anything other than angle of earth to sun. Pretty useful if that's what you're attempting to describe.
    But if you're going with 'feels like', it's certainly not Spring in Manchester yet. We have blossom on our copper beech but that came in mid-Feb last year. For 'feels like' - and this is both weather related and culture related - I would go entirely with the meteorological definition, with the exception that Spring doesn't start until the equinox. Does even always start at the same time, but starts most satisfyingly when in the form of a massive fuck-you, here-I-am, all-at-once power chord of blossom and magnolia and colour and warmth. Always makes me feel a little melancholy, actually, that I'll only get to see it another, what, 40-odd times.
    Alternatively, Spring starts once the six nations is over. One of the many things I love about the Six Nations is the changing of the season: start with a match in the gloom of an Edinburgh evening in late January or early February; the odd advance glance of the coming season from Paris or Rome along the way, and finish in Dublin on St. Patrick's Day. Which is also a liminal moment between the seasons.
    (To borrow an idea from Terry Pratchett, maybe thats why Spring 2020 felt so wrong. Maybe the 6 Nations is the Morris Dance which brings the new season in properly.)
    There is always a melancholy to spring, as Housman noted. Because you only get so many in one life

A Shropshire Lad 2

BY A. E. HOUSMAN

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
    Is hung with bloom along the bough,
    And stands about the woodland ride
    Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
    Twenty will not come again,
    And take from seventy springs a score,
    It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
    Fifty springs are little room,
    About the woodlands I will go
    To see the cherry hung with snow.
    Whilst I do like Housman, my preference is for John Clare

The Spring comes in with all her hues and smells,
    In freshness breathing over hills and dells;
    O’er woods where May her gorgeous drapery flings,
    And meads washed fragrant by their laughing springs.
    Fresh are new opened flowers, untouched and free
    From the bold rifling of the amorous bee.
    The happy time of singing birds is come,
    And Love’s lone pilgrimage now finds a home;
    Among the mossy oaks now coos the dove,
    And the hoarse crow finds softer notes for love.
    The foxes play around their dens, and bark
    In joy’s excess, ’mid woodland shadows dark.
    The flowers join lips below; the leaves above;
    And every sound that meets the ear is Love.

• Options

HYUFD said:

I doubt he would have gone that far but we would have abstained and I expect Corbyn would in due course have pulled the UK out of NATO and scrapped Trident
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,267
    Any day now Putin will be bringing out the serious deep state tech. You know the kind. No obvious means of propulsion, can fly 17,000mph with right angle turns, through water, air and space and can remotely disable nukes. He’s been buzzing the US Navy with them since the Millennium apparently.

No? It’s just 40 year old tanks and helicopters that break down? Oh.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,939
    rcs1000 said:

It may even work.
    I don't think Trump wants support from losers.
  • Options

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

" давай 200 "...

We will see.

Oh.
    That's not true.

Raising interest rates increases the attractiveness of saving relative to spending, and therefore suppresses aggregate demand. Lower aggregate demand reduces demand for oil & gas and everything else.
  • Options
    Do you think it’s a good idea for all the bad Partygate news for Boris to come out sooner than later now?

A few weeks ago No. 10 maybe hoping MET, delay action, kick it in long grass, let it take months, this week they hoping MET: act now, get it all out there asap? Should Operation Save Big Dog try to manage it so it comes out on peak rally round flag with other stuff on news? It would be very good politics to escape like that, rather than the naff politics to stumble into that silly and needless crisis in first place?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,327
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt he would have gone that far but we would have abstained and I expect Corbyn would in due course have pulled the UK out of NATO and scrapped Trident
    There’s quite a lot of past material from the “Stop The War” coalition that explicitly backs Russia over NATO.
  • Options

Do you think it’s a good idea for all the bad Partygate news for Boris to come out sooner than later now?

A few weeks ago No. 10 maybe hoping MET, delay action, kick it in long grass, let it take months, this week they hoping MET: act now, get it all out there asap? Should Operation Save Big Dog try to manage it so it comes out on peak rally round flag with other stuff on news? It would be very good politics to escape like that, rather than the naff politics to stumble into that silly and needless crisis in first place?

Ukrainian President, ambushed by Russian missiles

BoZo, ambushed by cake

The comparison with a genuine wartime leader is doing the Big Dog no favours
  • Options
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Why didn’t they use the ejector seats then?
    They did.

Do you not remember the scene: Bond and the girl are in the helicopter, the missies fire and they need to eject.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

That was supposed to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_Tiger

Oh yeah...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    darkage said:

rcs1000 said:

It may even work.
    I don't think Trump wants support from losers.
    When the losers can call in their loans to him he might.

Wait, wait, massive Russian asset siezure, sudden turn around by the Germans?

This has all be orchestrated by DeucheBank!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

They did.

Do you not remember the scene: Bond and the girl

Xenia Onatop IIRC

But I think he was referring the one that crashed in Ukraine. Why didn't they eject...
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703
    edited March 2022
    Scott_xP said:

It might be worth it just to get the power to fully turn the phones and internet off and to shut down the none sycophantic elements of the broadcast media.
  • Options
    British attitudes hardening ...

Impose sanctions 83% (+5)
    Let refugees come UK 76% (+23)
    Send weapons 76% (+12)
    Obligation to help refugees 65% (+15)
    Troops to NATO E Europe 62% (+2)
    Strike Russia in Ukr 29% (+1)
    Troops to Ukr 26% (+1)

Mar 1st. (Change) since Feb 25.
    YouGov
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1499126598397800469
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Enjoy

Be warned: the weather down here in The Smoke is absolutely vile. Cold wet drenching rain. Certainly doesn't feel like the 2nd day of spring...

I am in Oxford today and also won't be able to go but congrats PM on its 18th birthday and to OGH for launching it and hope those going have a good time
    Government agencies don't get to decide the seasons, which are set by the cosmos.

The Met Office uses that date for statistical convenience, there is no science behind it.
    Oh not this again.

All season definitions are arbitrary, and can be useful in different ways with varying degrees of usefulness, but if you're going to base them on the solstices and the equinoxes, then those are the mid-points of the seasons. It's the cross-quarter days in between that mark the start/end points of the season (so the astronomical spring started near the start of February).

There must have been an epic misunderstanding at some point for anyone to think that summer started on midsummer's day, but that's no excuse for propagating it.
    Wrong.

Seasonal lag (insolation) means that months with much less daylight are substantially warmer than those with more.

September is notably warmer than May in the UK, despite having considerably less daylight hours!

But the thermal lag is different in different places, so if you want to use temperature to define the seasons then fine - use temperature. But that will give you different dates then the equinoxes and the solstices.

If you're using the solstices and the equinoxes then by definition you're using the length of the days as your definition, and so summer should be the season of your longest days with midsummer at the midpoint.
    The two fallacies in this discussion are (a) that there are precisely four seasons and (b) that they are all the same length.
    Not at all - as I said, season definitions are arbitrary, so you can have as many as you want. I've seen good arguments, for the British climate, in favour of two seasons and six. The first attempt to define the British seasons from weather patterns came up with five.

There are many different ways you can define the seasons, and I find that interesting, but the one definition I can't abide is using the solstices and the equinoxes in a nonsensical way. It makes no sense to say that winter is the season the starts when the days are at their shortest and ends when days and nights are of equal length.
    'Can't abide' seems a bit strong, given that the astronomical definition is a) pretty established and b) makes no attempt to describe anything other than angle of earth to sun. Pretty useful if that's what you're attempting to describe.
    But if you're going with 'feels like', it's certainly not Spring in Manchester yet. We have blossom on our copper beech but that came in mid-Feb last year. For 'feels like' - and this is both weather related and culture related - I would go entirely with the meteorological definition, with the exception that Spring doesn't start until the equinox. Does even always start at the same time, but starts most satisfyingly when in the form of a massive fuck-you, here-I-am, all-at-once power chord of blossom and magnolia and colour and warmth. Always makes me feel a little melancholy, actually, that I'll only get to see it another, what, 40-odd times.
    Alternatively, Spring starts once the six nations is over. One of the many things I love about the Six Nations is the changing of the season: start with a match in the gloom of an Edinburgh evening in late January or early February; the odd advance glance of the coming season from Paris or Rome along the way, and finish in Dublin on St. Patrick's Day. Which is also a liminal moment between the seasons.
    (To borrow an idea from Terry Pratchett, maybe thats why Spring 2020 felt so wrong. Maybe the 6 Nations is the Morris Dance which brings the new season in properly.)
    There is always a melancholy to spring, as Housman noted. Because you only get so many in one life

A Shropshire Lad 2

BY A. E. HOUSMAN

I don't quite get poetry. I get it more if I look long and hard at it though.

Perhaps you'll forgive an anecdote. When I was quite young we were instructed to write poems about winter. Mine was undoubtedly crap and talked about ice, and then followed up with something like 'but home to a bowl of rice'. At the time the teachers criticism which was really a bad teacher thing and had me lauged at by the class might have been excusable - nobody went home to bowls of rice... and yet of course they did - most of the world did. If only I'd been a little smarter. Really crap from the teacher.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,454
    edited March 2022
    Around 6000 Russians killed in Ukraine so far. “two Western officials tell @NBCNews that about 5,800 Russians have been killed, a number in line with Ukraine’s estimates.” @JoshNBCNews

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1499119611190599686?s=20&t=XZwPO1LRuHQEGJZRNzP1-A

That's serious rate of losses.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,551
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

" давай 200 "...

We will see.

Oh.
    That's not true.

Raising interest rates increases the attractiveness of saving relative to spending, and therefore suppresses aggregate demand. Lower aggregate demand reduces demand for oil & gas and everything else.
    Higher prices will reduce aggregate demand and thus reduce inflation. Oh, hold on.
  • Options

ping said:
    Yeah... but what long term oil price assumption do you need in there to make it work? Is it $60, $80, or $100?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,627
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There’s quite a lot of past material from the “Stop The War” coalition that explicitly backs Russia over NATO.
    I saw* a thread on Free Republic about what is going on in Ukraine, and the replies were all "fake" and "photoshopped", they don't think a war is happening, to the nuttier MAGA types it's the deep state at work again. Genuinely more bonkers than the Russians who think everything is going according to plan.

* A couple of pages was enough for me, I haven't read that site in years, and it was even worse than I remember.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Enjoy

Oh not this again.

Wrong.

A Shropshire Lad 2

BY A. E. HOUSMAN

I love outbreaks of poetry on PB, reading these transported and lifted me. this is like wet, cold day, the clouds low and oppressive, suddenly at sunset the sky in the west turns chalky bright.

But I’m obviously not in a spring mood…

This night grows fuller, like a creeper from a crypt, thrown athwart thru seasons, yet still draws ever closer to a weakening eye. Stretching from loam and stubble of sweetest earth, a tall hedge stands here, weaved from tangles of bramble and twist of thorns, bracken green, bracken broken brown - a crunch and crackle, a call concluding, hence flutter theft of snagged feather upon each branch. A hedge intimate to all weather, intimate to all men slain here, the clouds who visit from heavens fields, the visitors from wastes for souls harvested in autumn, sown with carrot seed each new year.

I’ll log out rather than bring everyone down with me.
  • Options

Around 6000 Russians killed in Ukraine so far. “two Western officials tell @NBCNews that about 5,800 Russians have been killed, a number in line with Ukraine’s estimates.” @JoshNBCNews

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1499119611190599686?s=20&t=XZwPO1LRuHQEGJZRNzP1-A

That's serious rate of losses.

What the Russian government probably will be fretting over more is the amount of equipment, fuel, food and money that they've lost in that time, rather than the butcher's bill.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,454
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

Jeremy Corbyn on Putin and Ukraine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc07qyLcx2U

However crap, a liar and a cheat Boris is, the other option on the ballot was this man. The UK dodged a bullet.
This discussion has been closed.