Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Ukraine boost for Johnson in the exit date betting? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,502

I’m still trying to work out what Putin’s off ramp is here.

I am going to make the assumption for the purposes of my own sanity that he has not gone completely through the looking glass so as to wipe Ukraine off the map with nuclear weapons/unleash Armageddon out of spite.

If his convoy doesn’t have the desired effect, the army gives up, the crunch hits at home, what does he need to withdraw from Ukraine?

He needs to be able to show something, otherwise he has basically ruined his economy for no reason.

Does he simply take Donestsk and Luhansk and hope everyone forgets all that guff about denazifying Ukraine?

The problem with trying to understand what Putin is trying to do, is knowing how much of his own propaganda he believes.

A common mistake in the past, is to believe that the Other Guys are far too rational to buy into any of that silly dogma they spout.

If Putin truly believes that the existence of a Westernised Ukraine is a threat to the existence of Mother Russia, then this all makes more sense. He sees his back against the wall.....
    I think it rather more likely that he believed the west to be irretrievably divided, to the point where it would not be able coherently to respond to an invasion.
    The invasion was an expression of power, rather than a response to any real or perceived threat.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    I'm sorry but after that Ukrainian journalist question to Boris this morning I can't get beyond the feeling we are standing around watching a gang of not even very tough bullies beat the cr*p out of an ordinary person, congratulating ourselves for cheering for the person getting assaulted.

It just feels wrong.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,644
    Nigelb said:

I am going to make the assumption for the purposes of my own sanity that he has not gone completely through the looking glass so as to wipe Ukraine off the map with nuclear weapons/unleash Armageddon out of spite.

If his convoy doesn’t have the desired effect, the army gives up, the crunch hits at home, what does he need to withdraw from Ukraine?

He needs to be able to show something, otherwise he has basically ruined his economy for no reason.

Does he simply take Donestsk and Luhansk and hope everyone forgets all that guff about denazifying Ukraine?

The problem with trying to understand what Putin is trying to do, is knowing how much of his own propaganda he believes.

A common mistake in the past, is to believe that the Other Guys are far too rational to buy into any of that silly dogma they spout.

If Putin truly believes that the existence of a Westernised Ukraine is a threat to the existence of Mother Russia, then this all makes more sense. He sees his back against the wall.....
    I think it rather more likely that he believed the west to be irretrievably divided, to the point where it would not be able coherently to respond to an invasion.
    The invasion was an expression of power, rather than a response to any real or perceived threat.
    I think, given the utterances of his associates and that remarkable document that was accidentally broadcast the other day, that it is a combination of the two.

- The West is divided.

And

- Mother Russia faces a crisis.

So Now Is The Time, for The Strong Man on a Horse.....

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928
    MISTY said:

I'm sorry but after that Ukrainian journalist question to Boris this morning I can't get beyond the feeling we are standing around watching a gang of not even very tough bullies beat the cr*p out of an ordinary person, congratulating ourselves for cheering for the person getting assaulted.

It just feels wrong.

The thing is, all that Western kit in Ukraine is doing a pretty good job of exactly what this woman is requesting.

We just can’t say it out loud, because the drunk bear has a nuclear bomb and appears to be threatening to use it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    LONDON, March 1 (Reuters) - Queen Elizabeth felt well enough to undertake two virtual audiences on Tuesday, just over a week after she tested positive for COVID-19 and following the cancellation of other similar events last week.

The British monarch, 95, has been fully vaccinated against coronavirus and was previously said to have been suffering mild cold-like symptoms. Despite cancelling some events she continued with light duties after testing positive.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/queen-elizabeth-well-enough-carry-out-virtual-audiences-source-2022-03-01/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,649
    edited March 2022

Nigelb said:

I think, given the utterances of his associates and that remarkable document that was accidentally broadcast the other day, that it is a combination of the two.

- The West is divided.

And

This was always his escape route out of Moscow.....without even the clothes on his back, such was the drama of his flight from the madding crowd.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

In other comic relief, when you confuse “the SNP” with “the public”:

EXCLUSIVE: The Scottish Government has refused to say whether it has sought the views of law officers about the competence of the indyref bill, saying it is not in the public interest

Opposition have said "uncomfortable truths" are being kept secret

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1498580109221056514?s=21

Given a majority of the Scottish public who voted voted to have a referendum, it's not an unreasonable elision.
    They already had one. No point me voting for a referendum on Brexit. We had one. My side lost.
    They explicitly voted to have another referendum. Rather less defeatist.
    That is the problem with Scottish Nationalism, no sorry nationalism; democracy is good, provided it provides the answer we want.

Tell me, if Scotland had a referendum and separatism won, would you be in favour of another referendum 5 or 6 years later to ask whether they would like to rejoin?

Would you be in favour of some parts of Scotland retaining their membership of UK, rather like some Scots Nats suggested visa vis Scotland and membership of the EU?
    You couldn’t make it up. RusNats busy trying to partition Ukraine, so BritNats sharpen the knife to carve up Jockland.

Russian Imperialism and British Imperialism. Two sides of the same dud coin.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,937

OT I believe a couple of posters (OKC?) were commenting earlier today about a lack of some foodstuffs on the shelves. Having just been to Waitrose I would suggest it is because they have hijacked every food lorry in the country for themselves. I have not seen them so stuffed with produce for years.

Shocking lack of barbeque beef hula hoops the last couple of visits to Waitrose. Its beyond a joke now. Letters o the manager...

Reality - I think we still have patchy supplies, but the supply apocalypse never quite happened due to the skill and adaptability of the professions involved, so well done to them.

I also think that we had times in the past where certain things were not in stock, but because we weren't specifically looking for them, we never noticed.

Bit like hem lines and the stock market...
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

It just feels wrong.

The thing is, all that Western kit in Ukraine is doing a pretty good job of exactly what this woman is requesting.

We just can’t say it out loud, because the drunk bear has a nuclear bomb and appears to be threatening to use it.
    The problem is that the logic of that, surely, is that we never engage Russian forces, not even on NATO soil.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

- The West is divided.

And

Yep, another swipe left from me.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    Case summary

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,700

LONDON, March 1 (Reuters) - Queen Elizabeth felt well enough to undertake two virtual audiences on Tuesday, just over a week after she tested positive for COVID-19 and following the cancellation of other similar events last week.

The British monarch, 95, has been fully vaccinated against coronavirus and was previously said to have been suffering mild cold-like symptoms. Despite cancelling some events she continued with light duties after testing positive.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/queen-elizabeth-well-enough-carry-out-virtual-audiences-source-2022-03-01/

She should troll Putin by having her first in-person meeting photographed on the longest banqueting table at Buck Palace with her at one end and guests 50 metres away at the other and the caption could be “All queens love a long table”.
  • Options
    Theories on why the Russian Airforce is largely MIA:

The VKS leadership may be hesitant to commit to large-scale combat operations which would show up the gap between external perceptions and the reality of their capabilities

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/mysterious-case-missing-russian-air-force
  • Options
    Hospitals

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,374
    Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

Lukashenko, addressing his security council, points to a map of Ukraine that shows what look like planned troop movements, infrastructure targets, and the country divided into four parts https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1498684008288423936/photo/1

Does that arrow go into Transnistria?
    I am rather more interested in the fact that no arrows go anywhere near the Western part of Ukraine. That would seem to indicate (if accurate) that the Ukrainians have plenty of opportunity to get weapons and supplies into the country without immediate fear of interdiction.
  • Options
    Deaths

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

Russian foreign minister says nuclear war ‘cannot be won and must never be waged’ https://www.ft.com/content/c61aaf81-5716-494d-9a6c-9047620f4aed#post-fe842b93-be1f-435f-9b9e-550126b750c0 via @financialtimes

Hurrah ! We're getting somewhere.

Putin's stuffed, I think.
    IF they are ruling out nuclear war then what's to stop the West climbing in to Putin's columns right now?
    It is Putin's finger on the nuclear button, not Lavrov's
    It means that Putin can give the order but there will be a palace coup if he does. You also don't understand the logistics of launching a nuke. It's not a big red button on Putin's desk in the Kremlin. You seem completely ignorant of anything to do with this. Suggesting that Putin can order a nuke then suddenly it happens is nonsense.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

- The West is divided.

And

Amazing that the crucifix around his neck doesn't burn right through his skin.....
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,716
    edited March 2022
    That downside with the optimism of Lavrov's comments is that the bloody and vicious bombing is still going on. I wonder if the top brass want a slightly less mad leader, but someone still immediately known as a very clear and brutal authoritarian - Lukashenko might be the man for them, in that case.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,397

The VKS leadership may be hesitant to commit to large-scale combat operations which would show up the gap between external perceptions and the reality of their capabilities

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/mysterious-case-missing-russian-air-force

As opposed to their current strategy of not getting involved, which is showing up the gap between external perceptions and the reality of their capabilities?

Not sure I believe that.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,925
    MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

It just feels wrong.

The problem is that the logic of that, surely, is that we never engage Russian forces, not even on NATO soil.
    It’s not quite the same, surely?

No matter what the rights and wrongs of the situation Ukraine is not a member of NATO. NATO is a defensive alliance that requires mutual assistance to an attack on NATO itself.

Now we can argue all we want about whether NATO should in theory be involved in fighting for a friendly neighbour attacked by the big bad bear, but that is not what NATO is. You would be changing the alliance from one of mutual assistance to one of protection of interests out with the borders of member states. That is what Russia claims NATO to be (it is not).
  • Options
    edited March 2022

London

Lab 57
    Con 21
    LD 12
    Grn 5
    Ref 2

Rest of South

Con 43
    Lab 33
    LD 10
    Grn 8
    Ref 5

Midlands and Wales

Con 39
    Lab 38
    Ref 6
    LD 6
    PC 3
    Grn 3

North

Lab 48
    Con 28
    LD 8
    Grn 7
    Ref 7

Scotland

SNP 50
    Lab 18
    Con 18
    LD 8
    Grn 4

GB

Lab 39
    Con 34
    LD 9
    Grn 6
    Ref 5

(YouGov/The Times; Sample Size: 1,741; Fieldwork: 24th - 25th February 2022)

This is like 2005 bad except for Scotland.

Where are the voters going to come from to get a Tory majority? Labour is basically back up to 2017 numbers and I can't see those voters going now Brexit is over and Corbyn is gone.
    I concur.

I think two thing are now nailed on:

1. Boris Johnson is leading the Conservative & Unionist Party at the next UK GE

2. Boris Johnson is leading the Conservative & Unionist Party into a heavy defeat at the next UK GE

(Barring nuclear holocaust.)

That said, the Midlands figure is very good for the Tories, all things considered. It is always the key stat I look at (after I’ve had a good laugh at the BetterTogether2 doofuses.)
  • Options
    Russian advance on Kyiv remains “basically…where it was yesterday” senior defense official told reporters today. "The Russians are not only facing “fuel and sustainment” problems, but are showing signs that they are running out of food, the official claimed. via @MichaelTConte

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1498693158208741376
  • Options
    COVID Summary

- Cases down, R below 1 in all regions, and for all ages.
    - In hospital - the bump seems to be part of the natural cycle of the numbers, but bears watching
    - MV beds - seems, again to be falling back. to the previous decline. We shall see
    - Admissions - still falling, R below 1.
    - Deaths - still falling fast.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928
    MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

It just feels wrong.

There are two circumstances in which the West will intervene directly.

1. Aggression on NATO soil
    2. Russian deployment of banned weapons (NBC WMDs) against civilians.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

It just feels wrong.

It does, just as it did in 1956 and '68 with Hungary and Czechoslovakia.

But in the bully's mind, if we go to war with him directly, we're fighting over a possession, not to save a country. And he has nuclear weapons which he might use in response.
    If he fails to conquer the country, then it's probably a different matter.

It's a f@cked up set of mental processes, but we don't get to choose them.
  • Options

COVID Summary

- In hospital - the bump seems to be part of the natural cycle of the numbers, but bears watching
    - MV beds - seems, again to be falling back. to the previous decline. We shall see

Sadly, Mad Vlad says 9/10 Apocalypse....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,887
    MISTY said:

It just feels wrong.

Off you pop then, take a shufty, come back when it's over. You'll be a PB ledge, the endless stream of previously posted tripe wiped from collective memory as if it'd never existed.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

It just feels wrong.

No, the logic of that, is that we apply increasing resistance (arming Ukraine etc) as he approaches NATO borders.

Complete with lots of a lots of NATO military personnel in the Eastern European NATO countries.

So that he knows that we are serious about defending NATO countries. And doesn't attack.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,762

Except they've been flying in Syria for years, sometimes at a high tempo. We know a fair bit about their operations.

Here's Hushkit on it (I know some people don't like Hushkit, but I think it's okay.)
    https://hushkit.net/2021/08/17/successes-and-failures-of-russian-air-power-in-syria/
  • Options

biggles said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Just cashed out my Ukraine to win Eurovision at 3.55. +£200 profit.

Well done!

A lot of talk here about what to do with the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine in Glasgow on 24 March.

A lot of Scots consider it grossly unfair to continue with the match when we would effectively be playing a Youth team, as most adult Ukrainian men are serving their country or otherwise prohibited from turning up.

Consensus seems to be that we should concede the match and they get the 3 points, plus donating all the ticket money to war relief.

Why not give Ukraine a bye all the way to the final and let a Ukrainian youth lift the World Cup trophy?
    I think “all the way to the final” might be pushing it. To the finals maybe but Ukrainians are a proud sporting people and would rather watch some actual matches.
    There are only 3 places left - the winner of Scotland v Ukraine plays Wales or Austria

Mr Dickson was suggesting handing them the trophy, not just a place in the finals.
    Precedent for when HYUFD unleashes the doggies of war upon Scotland. It's the only fecking way we'll have a chance at it..
    @HYUFD did it's true receive a lot of stick about certain comments pertaining to Scotland and the Westminster Government's reactions to any potential move towards independence, I'm sure many of them being deliberately provocative.

These past few days, however, he has shown that PB fantasy and actual crisis are well-defined in his head; he has been one of the saner posters on the Ukraine situation.
    Well, I may not necessarily go that far but I agree that HYUFD may have got a few too many pelters on this issue, despite some crackpot ideas amongst the reasonable ones.

In a strongish field, one of the very worst aspects of this place is the 'with us or against us' wankerism that is never far away.
    So, you’re against us then?
    https://youtu.be/Iyq4HZZ4H50
    I like your Scots Lift World Cup scenario. I wonder when it’ll occur to FUDHY that him supporting military intervention in Scotland and voicing support for Franco and Francoist strategy might just be a teensy bit counterproductive for British Nationalism?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

As opposed to their current strategy of not getting involved, which is showing up the gap between external perceptions and the reality of their capabilities?

Not sure I believe that.
    Perhaps the mobile anti-aircraft missiles distributed around Ukraine have them spooked?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    This UN walkout was at least an appropriate response.

https://twitter.com/SergiyKyslytsya/status/1498627568529981441
    HRC members walk out once Lavrov’s video began to play in the session of the Council. Enough of exposure to the deranged lunacy of war criminals. We will listen to you at International Tribunal for War Crimes of Putin’s Regime
  • Options
    Now 75 polls in a row with LAB lead. Bit of a milestone. Will they reach 100?
  • Options

COVID Summary

Sadly, Mad Vlad says 9/10 Apocalypse....

Prof. Groeteschele : Who would survive? That's an interesting question. I would predict... convicts and file clerks.

[a male guest laughs, but Groeteschele silences him with expression that is dead serious]

Prof. Groeteschele : The worst convicts - those deep down in solitary confinement - and the most ordinary file clerks, probably for large insurance companies, because they would be in fire-proof rooms, protected by tons of the best insulator in the world: paper. And imagine what will happen. The small group of vicious criminals will fight the army of file clerks for the remaining means of life. The convicts will know violence, but the file clerks will know... organization. Who do you think will win?

[Groeteschele pauses, and then laughs]

Prof. Groeteschele : It's all hypotheses of course, but fun to play around with.
  • Options
    Has to be said, if Lavrov is already saying no to nukes then it's off the table. He's one of Putin's worst yes men.
  • Options
    Ally_B1Ally_B1 Posts: 47
    Roger said:

I remember going to Hyde Park corner to laugh at the old men with sandwich boards saying "The End of The World Is Nigh"

BREAKING -

The reason for the attack column being stalled outside Kyiv is a single broken down tank, blocking a vital bridge.

Latest high resolution picture suggest is it a WWII vintage British Covenanter.

Infared pictures indicate it broke down due to overheating - a common problem with the type.

Experts are puzzled by the presence of such a vehicle - "We knew the Russians are throwing any old shit into the battle, but really?"

Not another Friday afternoon tank
    Is this the Russian XXX Corps?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,366
    edited March 2022
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

Russian foreign minister says nuclear war ‘cannot be won and must never be waged’ https://www.ft.com/content/c61aaf81-5716-494d-9a6c-9047620f4aed#post-fe842b93-be1f-435f-9b9e-550126b750c0 via @financialtimes

IF they are ruling out nuclear war then what's to stop the West climbing in to Putin's columns right now?
    It means that Putin can give the order but there will be a palace coup if he does. You also don't understand the logistics of launching a nuke. It's not a big red button on Putin's desk in the Kremlin. You seem completely ignorant of anything to do with this. Suggesting that Putin can order a nuke then suddenly it happens is nonsense.
    Indeed. The Russian military, from the generals all the way down to the Major in the missile silo with the firing key would have to be ready to unleash mutually assured destruction, not just Putin. Which is just about the only thing that helps me sleep at night at the moment.

I suspect by far the biggest risk right now is that in times of heightened tension, something can easily go wrong. A flock of seagulls on the radar mistaken for an ICBM, a gung ho Russian Colonel accidentally and without authority engaging a NATO supply convoy on the Polish border, etc.

But we are a lot closer to nuclear apocalypse than we were a week ago and almost certainly closer than we have been in my four decades on this planet. Not gonna lie, I'm starting to get scared.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,203

London

Lab 57
    Con 21
    LD 12
    Grn 5
    Ref 2

Rest of South

Con 43
    Lab 33
    LD 10
    Grn 8
    Ref 5

Midlands and Wales

Con 39
    Lab 38
    Ref 6
    LD 6
    PC 3
    Grn 3

North

Lab 48
    Con 28
    LD 8
    Grn 7
    Ref 7

Scotland

SNP 50
    Lab 18
    Con 18
    LD 8
    Grn 4

GB

Lab 39
    Con 34
    LD 9
    Grn 6
    Ref 5

Where are the voters going to come from to get a Tory majority? Labour is basically back up to 2017 numbers and I can't see those voters going now Brexit is over and Corbyn is gone.
    I concur.

2. Boris Johnson is leading the Conservative & Unionist Party into a heavy defeat at the next UK GE

That said, the Midlands figure is very good for the Tories, all things considered. It is always the key stat I look at (after I’ve had a good laugh at the BetterTogether2 doofuses.)
    It's well possible at the next GE Labour fail to gain Stourbridge, Halesowen & Rowley Regis, Dudley South and North etc.... in the Midlands yet pick up seats such as Hexham, Truro & Falmouth, Altrincham and Sale West, Colchester etc... that they didn't win in 1997. If Labour can wallop the Tories in the North, overperform in the South, they may be able to offset underperforming in the Midlands.
  • Options

Except they've been flying in Syria for years, sometimes at a high tempo. We know a fair bit about their operations.

Here's Hushkit on it (I know some people don't like Hushkit, but I think it's okay.)
    https://hushkit.net/2021/08/17/successes-and-failures-of-russian-air-power-in-syria/
    But why would they *not* fly, over Ukraine?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,255
    MISTY said:

It just feels wrong.

Your analogy is about as useful as when politicians in charge of their own fiat currency talk about fixing the roof when the sun is shining, or the nation’s credit card. Except those people don’t risk sparking nuclear oblivion by having the British raf shoot down Russian migs.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

Indeed. The Russian military, from the generals all the way down to the Major in the missile silo with the firing key would have to be ready to unleash mutually assured destruction, not just Putin. Which is just about the only thing that helps me sleep at night at the moment.

I suspect by far the biggest risk right now is that in times of heightened tension, something can easily go wrong. A flock of seagulls on the radar mistaken for an ICBM, a gung ho Russian Colonel accidentally and without authority engaging a NATO supply convoy on the Polish border, etc.

But we are a lot closer to nuclear apocalypse than we were a week ago and almost certainly closer than we have been in my four decades on this planet. Not gonna lie, I'm starting to get scared.
    See below. Much less dangerous than an hour ago, if Lavrov's statement is to be believed. Putin and him have been super-tight, and now he's clearly contradicting him.
  • Options

Fear of NATO anti-aircraft permanently degrading their capability. I think that's got to be a big worry now, Ukraine has now got serious anti-aircraft capacity and every time they send in a $20m jet it might not come back. It's not like Syria or Chechnya where he's got no real surface to air capability to potentially destroy expensive fighters and bombers.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

London

Lab 57
    Con 21
    LD 12
    Grn 5
    Ref 2

Rest of South

Con 43
    Lab 33
    LD 10
    Grn 8
    Ref 5

Midlands and Wales

Con 39
    Lab 38
    Ref 6
    LD 6
    PC 3
    Grn 3

North

Lab 48
    Con 28
    LD 8
    Grn 7
    Ref 7

Scotland

SNP 50
    Lab 18
    Con 18
    LD 8
    Grn 4

GB

Lab 39
    Con 34
    LD 9
    Grn 6
    Ref 5

I concur.

It's well possible at the next GE Labour fail to gain Stourbridge, Halesowen & Rowley Regis, Dudley South and North etc.... in the Midlands yet pick up seats such as Hexham, Truro & Falmouth, Altrincham and Sale West, Colchester etc... that they didn't win in 1997. If Labour can wallop the Tories in the North, overperform in the South, they may be able to offset underperforming in the Midlands.
    Yes, you may well be right.

Us old codgers tend to think that tested conventional wisdoms usually hold, eg that the English Midlands are the key to Westminster success. But I just wonder if that will change this time?

Another conventional wisdom is that once a DNV always a DNV. But I’m pretty sure a lot of 2019 abstainers are going to cast a vote next time.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,239

eek said:

William Koechling
    @koechlingphoto
    ·
    3m
    Replying to
    @leahmcelrath
    The "40-mile long" convoy was said to have been a translation error. It's 3 miles long and the distance between Kyiv and the convoy was 40 miles. That's the report I heard last night.

Christ, there's a whole PB attack plan based on it being 40 miles long, supported by hunners of posts! Back to the Warhammer table..
    Fuck me, the PB brigade managed to reduce it from 40 to three miles in half a day? That’s one effective piece of military strategy. Tea and medals for us all.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,582
    Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

It just feels wrong.

I suppose you could also argue that it's to the long-term benefit of Ukraine if they can take the credit for defeating Russia, and the West's role is minimised.

But I'm not certain enough is being done to prevent Ukraine's defeat.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,200

It makes you wonder what other parts of the Russian state (or perhaps it should be called the Russian intimidation machine) that that applies to.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,937
    edited March 2022
    I've been very reluctant to comment on what's happening in Ukraine, because I don't believe anybody really knows for sure, despite (or because of) the volume of tweets linked to on here and elsewhere. However, I'm breaking my reluctance to share just two thoughts:

1) I've done a bit of reading on Sergey Lavrov - interesting character, old style, and not to many people's taste. I do wonder, however, if he may finally be the one to restrain, and possibly even unseat, Putin.

2) It's just possible that Russia's slow progress is partly because they have been ordered not to inflict random civilian casualties if that can be avoided (so that doesn't include 'collateral' damage). So, if civilians are standing in front of tanks, they're not shooting them or running them over. From Putin's point of view, if random civilians are killed at will that would completely remove the (wholly inadequate) pretext he has given for the invasion in the first place, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Fear of NATO anti-aircraft permanently degrading their capability. I think that's got to be a big worry now, Ukraine has now got serious anti-aircraft capacity and every time they send in a $20m jet it might not come back. It's not like Syria or Chechnya where he's got no real surface to air capability to potentially destroy expensive fighters and bombers.
    "Ukraine has now got serious anti-aircraft capacity" ??
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,424

Russian advance on Kyiv remains “basically…where it was yesterday” senior defense official told reporters today. "The Russians are not only facing “fuel and sustainment” problems, but are showing signs that they are running out of food, the official claimed. via @MichaelTConte

Remarkable. A densely packed traffic jam of tanks running out of fuel and food. It sounds as though it has the potential to turn into one of the greatest military disasters in history.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,173
    Chris said:

Remarkable. A densely packed traffic jam of tanks running out of fuel and food. It sounds as though it has the potential to turn into one of the greatest military disasters in history.
    Fingers-crossed!
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,820

That downside with the optimism of Lavrov's comments is that the bloody and vicious bombing is still going on. I wonder if the top brass want a slightly less mad leader, but someone still immediately known as a very clear and brutal authoritarian - Lukashenko might be the man for them, in that case.

Even if another authoritarian takes over, that is better in all ways than Putin. They will attempt some sort of reset. They may well concentrate their efforts on internal security rather than foreign adventures, which while bad for the Russian people is at least less of an existential threat to life in the Northern Hemisphere. And I expect the new leader would run things as more of a team player than before, so more committee based decisions which lends itself to risk aversion.

The big problem at the moment is one man on a mission with almost unchallenged power and a finger on the nuclear button.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,579

NEW: Understand the UK is considering a move to suspend Russia from the UN Security Council. They’re one of only five permanent members.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1498637360745136130

I did not know that that was possible.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

It just feels wrong.

I suppose you could also argue that it's to the long-term benefit of Ukraine if they can take the credit for defeating Russia, and the West's role is minimised.

But I'm not certain enough is being done to prevent Ukraine's defeat.
    Putin is already weakened, belittled and a far less secure figure.
    That is a success.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,525
    EXCLUSIVE: Anas Sarwar is to dump @scottishlabour’s ‘red rose’ as part of a major rebranding.

We can also reveal the party's new emblem

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-labour-leader-anas-sarwar-26355469
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,820
    Chris said:

Can't be long before they leave their vehicles and head into the nearest town to try to buy or loot stuff. Like happens when cars get stuck on the motorway in snow. Must be getting a bit chilly there too.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I mean we've just given it to them, shit loads of handheld AA weapons from NATO countries and Sweden/Finland
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,525

My local Ukrainian said the Russians have been asking the locals for food...
  • Options

I've been very reluctant to comment on what's happening in Ukraine, because I don't believe anybody really knows for sure, despite (or because of) the volume of tweets linked to on here and elsewhere. However, I'm breaking my reluctance to share just two thoughts:

1) I've done a bit of reading on Sergey Lavrov - interesting character, old style, and not to many people's taste. I do wonder, however, if he may finally be the one to restrain, and possibly even unseat, Putin.

2) It's just possible that Russia's slow progress is partly because they have been ordered not to inflict random civilian casualties if that can be avoided (so that doesn't include 'collateral' damage). So, if civilians are standing in front of tanks, they're not shooting them or running them over. From Putin's point of view, if random civilians are killed at will that would completely remove the (wholly inadequate) pretext he has given for the invasion in the first place, wouldn't it?

Putin promised them they would be showered with rose petals.

That column is waiting for the roses to bloom.....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,969
    MattW said:

NEW: Understand the UK is considering a move to suspend Russia from the UN Security Council. They’re one of only five permanent members.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1498637360745136130

I did not know that that was possible.
    Going to be difficult as Russia could veto it https://www.unov.org/unov/en/faq.html

"A Member of the United Nations against which preventive or enforcement action has been taken by the Security Council may be suspended from the exercise of the rights and privileges of membership by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council. The exercise of these rights and privileges may be restored by the Security Council."
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,258
    Scott_xP said:

"Eat lead Comrade"
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,096
    Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: Anas Sarwar is to dump @scottishlabour’s ‘red rose’ as part of a major rebranding.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-labour-leader-anas-sarwar-26355469

Still doesn't mean it's not an integral part of UK Labour. They do have a legal fiddle to use 'Scottish Labour' in elections but will they get that separate symbol past the Electoral Commission, I wonder?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,173

I think we're past that really.

I suspect individual commanders or soldiers are not willing to kill unarmed civilians if they can avoid it.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,424
    I see the BBC is saying:
    (1) not 40 miles long, but a series of bunches along 40 miles of the road
    (2) hampered by broken down vehicles in "several places", not just one (hence the bunches?)
    (3) some tanks, but mainly not combat vehicles at all, but "logistical vehicles".
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I mean we've just given it to them, shit loads of handheld AA weapons from NATO countries and Sweden/Finland
    Shoulder launched weapons are one thing - but military aircraft can simply fly above them.

A serious AA capability would mean, to me, systems that can reach the ceiling for any aircraft.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Approx June 11th onwards in that climate
  • Options
    TimS said:

Chris said:

Can't be long before they leave their vehicles and head into the nearest town to try to buy or loot stuff. Like happens when cars get stuck on the motorway in snow. Must be getting a bit chilly there too.
    Day time highs of 2°C. Going down to minus 5 on Saturday.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,745

I recall someone or other on here saying Lavrov is a sneaky fucker. I think I’d back the sneaky fuckers over the virtuous to pull off a self preserving coup any day of the week.
  • Options
    Chris said:

I see the BBC is saying:
    (1) not 40 miles long, but a series of bunches along 40 miles of the road
    (2) hampered by broken down vehicles in "several places", not just one (hence the bunches?)
    (3) some tanks, but mainly not combat vehicles at all, but "logistical vehicles".

(2) ....So @HYUFD has been buying *more* Covanenters?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ping said:

It’s times like this I really fucking despise Bush and Blair for Iraq.

We’d have so much more moral authority and ability to corral the world to push back against the waging of unprovoked aggressive wars like this.

I really fucking hope Putin fails. And that this is the last aggressive war fought in my lifetime.

Yup. The Russian trolls on twitter are full of reams and reams of accounts of the Iraq war numbers. And they're all right.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,988
    Chris said:

It's just baffling.
    I always suspected Russian military might might be a little less well-oiled in practice than its leaders might hope. But this is just - shit. Its implausibly bad. I'm half convinced that its some sort of trap - that they are trying to get the west to come in and hit an easy target and take out the whole convoy so that they can escalate and retaliate.
    They appear to have almost completely failed to do anything but the most rudimentary planning.
    We've known about this invasion for months - surely they have too?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,549
    Chris said:

Staying cold on the eastern front too.

Supplying a column that long is a logistical nightmare unless they use e.g. helicopters. I mean it's not as simple as driving straight past every vehicle to get to the one in front.

It would be lovely if all those in the vehicles just decided, 'you know what, fuck it. Let's run away.'
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

I suspect individual commanders or soldiers are not willing to kill unarmed civilians if they can avoid it.
    I think it's a mixture of what you both say. Putin has told the soldiers they are there to rescue Ukrainians from the government fascists. When they see that regular Ukrainians are against them, they don't see them as the enemy so don't know what to do.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Shoulder launched weapons are one thing - but military aircraft can simply fly above them.

A serious AA capability would mean, to me, systems that can reach the ceiling for any aircraft.
    I guess the issue for the Russian air force is that they will need to get close to the ground to make their bombing run and that makes them vulnerable to handheld AA. It's one thing to lose a bunch of old tanks and armoured vehicles, quite another to lose 30-40 $20m planes that will take years to replace.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I guess the issue for the Russian air force is that they will need to get close to the ground to make their bombing run and that makes them vulnerable to handheld AA. It's one thing to lose a bunch of old tanks and armoured vehicles, quite another to lose 30-40 $20m planes that will take years to replace.
    Especially when you can't import microchips any more.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Yep, you have to remember the vast majority of people are not murderous arseholes.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

We are closer than we were a week ago but by reckoning further away than we were on Sunday.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,582
    edited March 2022
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

How good are they against fast jets? I know they made a mess out of helicopters with them in Afghanistan, but I thought the fast jets would be a lot less vulnerable.
  • Options
    ping said:

We’d have so much more moral authority and ability to corral the world to push back against the waging of unprovoked aggressive wars like this.

I really fucking hope Putin fails. And that this is the last aggressive war fought in my lifetime.

+1

It also led to a lot of Westerners seing things through a simplistic "anti war" vs "pro war" perspective.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,254

biggles said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Just cashed out my Ukraine to win Eurovision at 3.55. +£200 profit.

Well done!

A lot of talk here about what to do with the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine in Glasgow on 24 March.

A lot of Scots consider it grossly unfair to continue with the match when we would effectively be playing a Youth team, as most adult Ukrainian men are serving their country or otherwise prohibited from turning up.

Consensus seems to be that we should concede the match and they get the 3 points, plus donating all the ticket money to war relief.

Why not give Ukraine a bye all the way to the final and let a Ukrainian youth lift the World Cup trophy?
    I think “all the way to the final” might be pushing it. To the finals maybe but Ukrainians are a proud sporting people and would rather watch some actual matches.
    There are only 3 places left - the winner of Scotland v Ukraine plays Wales or Austria

Mr Dickson was suggesting handing them the trophy, not just a place in the finals.
    Precedent for when HYUFD unleashes the doggies of war upon Scotland. It's the only fecking way we'll have a chance at it..
    @HYUFD did it's true receive a lot of stick about certain comments pertaining to Scotland and the Westminster Government's reactions to any potential move towards independence, I'm sure many of them being deliberately provocative.

These past few days, however, he has shown that PB fantasy and actual crisis are well-defined in his head; he has been one of the saner posters on the Ukraine situation.
    Well, I may not necessarily go that far but I agree that HYUFD may have got a few too many pelters on this issue, despite some crackpot ideas amongst the reasonable ones.

In a strongish field, one of the very worst aspects of this place is the 'with us or against us' wankerism that is never far away.
    So, you’re against us then?
    https://youtu.be/Iyq4HZZ4H50
    I like your Scots Lift World Cup scenario. I wonder when it’ll occur to FUDHY that him supporting military intervention in Scotland and voicing support for Franco and Francoist strategy might just be a teensy bit counterproductive for British Nationalism?
    There is no UK team at the World Cup anyway, only English and Scottish teams. We only play as the UK at the Olympics.

Though Spain of course is still playing in the World Cup and Olympics despite banning a Catalan independence referendum as like Scotland that is an internal matter, not an invasion of a foreign country as Russia's invasion of Ukraine is
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,549
    ping said:

Yep, there's no place for whataboutery but this is precisely what Lavrov used in his argument the other day.

I hated that stupid war from the get go. It certainly hasn't helped our moral cause.

However, and it's a big however, that does NOT justify for one scintilla this evil invasion.
  • Options
    ping said:

Though Saddam of course is no longer in power and we already had to fight Gulf War 1 with UN backing after he invaded Kuwait even before Iraq War 2
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,937

Well, that was my point. It was a monumental, and fairly inexplicable, misjudgment by Putin to think that (most) Ukrainians would welcome their "liberation". But having made that misjudgment, he's got a real dilemma, hasn't he?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,745
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Still doesn't mean it's not an integral part of UK Labour. They do have a legal fiddle to use 'Scottish Labour' in elections but will they get that separate symbol past the Electoral Commission, I wonder?
    Lol, a purple and red thistle.
    Hock ay the noo, Irn Brus and tartan scarves all round!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Chris said:

It's just baffling.
    I always suspected Russian military might might be a little less well-oiled in practice than its leaders might hope. But this is just - shit. Its implausibly bad. I'm half convinced that its some sort of trap - that they are trying to get the west to come in and hit an easy target and take out the whole convoy so that they can escalate and retaliate.
    They appear to have almost completely failed to do anything but the most rudimentary planning.
    I know what you mean. It is bizarre, isn't it? It's reminding me of the comments around the time of the First Gulf War - "Is this the battle harden Iraqi army? Really?"

As to the lack of knowledge and stories of units not knowing what they are supposed to do..... I recall reading in a book by one of the people who rebuilt the American Army after Vietnam that one reform was informing people up and down the chain about what they were doing and why. And contrasting it with the Red Army, where apparently, it was very much a case of "Do X", with no reason or context given.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Cookie said:

Chris said:

It's just baffling.
    This is ringing more and more true

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1498666351287754758 alongside https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1498687598117756937

I think there is a great divide between what Putin and the military leadership have been told and the reality.

Meanwhile there is a whole set of people in the middle looking at reality against orders and going huh...
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,203
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I really doubt that the Labour rose is a substantial compliant SNP voters have about SLAB. If they do recover I can't see switching to a thistle will have much to do with it.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 826
    kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

Indeed, though I recall a RadioLab episode where they talked about this with a soldier undergoing minuteman training. While going through the process in a seminar the trainee asked 'What if I think the order is unlawful?' His instructor thought about it and asked the recruit to write it down. The instructor then took that piece of paper, showed it to his superiors and the recruit was struck out. It seems the US system weeds the more conscientious out, at least at the lower level, trusting that the big brain thinking has all been done at the higher level.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,988

Yep, you have to remember the vast majority of people are not murderous arseholes.
    I recently read 'the shortest history of war'. It's very good. One thing which came out of it was that in all the wars for which we have evidence, 90% of soldiers don't kill anyone at all. Indeed, they clearly take steps not to - deliberately missing, firing in the air, etc. They don't run away, because that would be letting their mates down. But they don't kill people - even enemy soldiers - because that betrays some innate moral code.
    This will be even more the case when facing a) civilians, and b) civilians you have been repeatedly told are your brethren.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

How good are they against fast jets? I know they made a mess out of helicopters with them in Afghanistan, but I thought the fast jets would be a lot less vulnerable.
    I think when they make their bombing run they have to get fairly low to the ground and slow down which makes them vulnerable. The sheer numbers will be making Russian commanders pretty nervous to send in expensive jets they won't be able to replace.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,397

Scott_xP said:

"Eat lead Comrade"
    If they can't sort out logistics on the 5th day of a campaign where they are invading a country literally next door to their own how is the mighty RU army planning to take Lithuania let alone Poland?

• Options
    Ukraine's Pravda paper has a leak that supposedly lists all 120,000 Russian Soldiers sent to the Ukraine

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/03/1/7327081/
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,067
    edited March 2022

Lavrov is a nasty piece of work, but I’ve always believed him to be sane. It’s why I agree with you that he’s the most likely instigator of a palace coup.

Edit: I see TUD has made the same point, but with rather more punch!
  • Options
    edited March 2022

London

Lab 57
    Con 21
    LD 12
    Grn 5
    Ref 2

Rest of South

Con 43
    Lab 33
    LD 10
    Grn 8
    Ref 5

Midlands and Wales

Con 39
    Lab 38
    Ref 6
    LD 6
    PC 3
    Grn 3

North

Lab 48
    Con 28
    LD 8
    Grn 7
    Ref 7

Scotland

SNP 50
    Lab 18
    Con 18
    LD 8
    Grn 4

GB

Lab 39
    Con 34
    LD 9
    Grn 6
    Ref 5

I concur.

Yes, you may well be right.

Us old codgers tend to think that tested conventional wisdoms usually hold, eg that the English Midlands are the key to Westminster success. But I just wonder if that will change this time?

Another conventional wisdom is that once a DNV always a DNV. But I’m pretty sure a lot of 2019 abstainers are going to cast a vote next time.
    London and the Midlands used to be the key swing regions in the UK.

Now London is the safest region for Labour in the UK, Labour got an even higher voteshare in London in 2019 than in Wales and the Northeast.

By contrast the Tories got a lower voteshare in the SouthEast than they did in the East of England and East Midlands in 2019 and the Tories also got a higher voteshare in the West Midlands than they did in the Southwest.

The Midlands is increasingly becoming the Tories safest region after the East of England with the South becoming more of a swing region (though many Tory seats are LD targets there rather than Labour targets)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,397
    eek said:

Cookie said:

Chris said:

It's just baffling.
    This is ringing more and more true

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1498666351287754758 alongside https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1498687598117756937

I think there is a great divide between what Putin and the military leadership have been told and the reality.

Meanwhile there is a whole set of people in the middle looking at reality against orders and going huh...
    Must admit the idea that this some kind of trap has crossed my mind.

What the feck are they playing at?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

"Eat lead Comrade"
    If they can't sort out logistics on the 5th day of a campaign where they are invading a country literally next door to their own how is the mighty RU army planning to take Lithuania let alone Poland?

Napoleon's armies lived off the land. AKA robbing their way along.
This discussion has been closed.