Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Ukraine boost for Johnson in the exit date betting? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 826
    TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

I wonder whether there is any work being done on encouraging Russian soldiers in the column to desert? It is odd that it hasn't yet been attacked. It looks like a turkey shoot to me for even an outgunned airforce, or a ground force with anti-tank weaponry?

The 40 mile column is just puzzling. Even if terrain is bad elsewhere you wouldn't put all your mechanised assets in one long column to be taken out by aerial attack even if you thought you had complete control of the skies. Are there other reasons? Possibly following each other as they have no clue where else they are going?

Also if they are all bunched together, what happens if one vehicle in the middle runs out of fuel. Won't it cause the whole column to crawl to a halt? It would be very difficult to get a tanker to the middle of the column to refuel it.

To me the long column seems to be more due to poor logistics than anything else. I'm no military expert but it just doesn't seem to make much sense. I hope I am right.
    It doesn't make sense. Ask the Iraqis : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Death
    Apparently, thinking like that means you have been playing Warhammer 40K....
    OK. Not even sure what that is. Clearly the Iraqis didn't either
    A certain regular on PB suggested this morning that any idea of attacking that column, in the manner that such column have been attacked many times, meant that you must be a Warhammer 40K player - https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki
    Let it go mate.

:smile:
    When speaking on military matters, I much prefer to rely on my experience of playing Hearts of Iron IV. Although I'm such a melt that I exclusively play the Democratic nations and only played as Germany once in order to turn it democratic.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,644

Been away for a couple of hours.

Am I right in thinking it still looks like it is not going well for Putin? Sounds like RU soldiers are not happy and there's a convoy just waiting to be hit to feck by Ukr air force. Meanwhile there's a run on the banks.

The run on the banks is actually the big thing. History tells us that trying to support a currency against a run like this burns though insane amounts of money in no time. See the repeated loans to the US by the US post-war.

That vast pile of cash that Putin has accumulated from oil and gas sales will melt, fast.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,527

Johnson is clearly safe until 2023 now. Bizarre that anybody thinks otherwise.

Haha! CCO confirms 2023 GE.
    Suits my book!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,925
    I’m still trying to work out what Putin’s off ramp is here.

I am going to make the assumption for the purposes of my own sanity that he has not gone completely through the looking glass so as to wipe Ukraine off the map with nuclear weapons/unleash Armageddon out of spite.

If his convoy doesn’t have the desired effect, the army gives up, the crunch hits at home, what does he need to withdraw from Ukraine?

He needs to be able to show something, otherwise he has basically ruined his economy for no reason.

Does he simply take Donestsk and Luhansk and hope everyone forgets all that guff about denazifying Ukraine?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928

BREAKING -

The reason for the attack column being stalled outside Kyiv is a single broken down tank, blocking a vital bridge.

Latest high resolution picture suggest is it a WWII vintage British Covenanter.

Infared pictures indicate it broke down due to overheating - a common problem with the type.

Experts are puzzled by the presence of such a vehicle - "We knew the Russians are throwing any old shit into the battle, but really?"

That’s either a sabotage trap, an invite for NATO to get nvolved in escalating the war, or the Russians realising the game’s up.

If it was genuinely one dead tank blocking the route, then the next tank in line would drag it the hell out of the way.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,571

AlistairM said:

Amazing footage from Melitopol of Ukrainians stopping the onward advance of a Russian convoy and chanting “Occupants!” and “Murderers!” The jittery Russians are firing into the air pic.twitter.com/j3jypGJdgz
    https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1498655849178402820

Ukrainians copying some Extinction Rebellion tactics. Very brave of them against armed Russians. Russian troops clearly not prepared to run over Ukrainian civilians.

wow! Passive resistance may be very effective.
    It's one thing being able to launch strikes into a city, there's presumably some mental distance there. But firing into a crowd? You can find people to do it or prepare people so they will do it, but thankfully this lot are not yet ready for that it seems.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,239

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

I wonder whether there is any work being done on encouraging Russian soldiers in the column to desert? It is odd that it hasn't yet been attacked. It looks like a turkey shoot to me for even an outgunned airforce, or a ground force with anti-tank weaponry?

The 40 mile column is just puzzling. Even if terrain is bad elsewhere you wouldn't put all your mechanised assets in one long column to be taken out by aerial attack even if you thought you had complete control of the skies. Are there other reasons? Possibly following each other as they have no clue where else they are going?

Also if they are all bunched together, what happens if one vehicle in the middle runs out of fuel. Won't it cause the whole column to crawl to a halt? It would be very difficult to get a tanker to the middle of the column to refuel it.

To me the long column seems to be more due to poor logistics than anything else. I'm no military expert but it just doesn't seem to make much sense. I hope I am right.
    It doesn't make sense. Ask the Iraqis : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Death
    Tabletop gaming setting (well originally, games and books galore now). Stereotypically liked by people who are to nerds what nerds are to non nerds.
    Hang on! There are some vintage grognards here!

Indeed this is the go to reference, and it is the same @NickPalmer:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/the-best-of-board-wargaming/author/palmer-nicholas/

The Imperial German army was big into table top war gaming, for training their staff officers.....
    Most are. Though generally not sci-fi games, and for specific purposes.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,969

The next general election was always going to be November 2023 unless things look disastrous for the Tories.

Can't be earlier because you want the new boundaries in place.
    Can't be later because there is a risk that things turn worse for the Tories

So unless it really looks like there is a lot of good news on the way between November 2023 and May 2024 the safest option is to go for November 2023...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,397

AlistairM said:

Amazing footage from Melitopol of Ukrainians stopping the onward advance of a Russian convoy and chanting “Occupants!” and “Murderers!” The jittery Russians are firing into the air pic.twitter.com/j3jypGJdgz
    https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1498655849178402820

Ukrainians copying some Extinction Rebellion tactics. Very brave of them against armed Russians. Russian troops clearly not prepared to run over Ukrainian civilians.

wow! Passive resistance may be very effective.
    RU soldiers aren't prepared to shoot their own cousins and fellow Russian speakers?

Putin rages in his bunker. Demands more and more bombing as he gets more desperate.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,716
    edited March 2022

I am going to make the assumption for the purposes of my own sanity that he has not gone completely through the looking glass so as to wipe Ukraine off the map with nuclear weapons/unleash Armageddon out of spite.

If his convoy doesn’t have the desired effect, the army gives up, the crunch hits at home, what does he need to withdraw from Ukraine?

He needs to be able to show something, otherwise he has basically ruined his economy for no reason.

Does he simply take Donestsk and Luhansk and hope everyone forgets all that guff about denazifying Ukraine?

No Nato. That's the only thing he can plausibly sell - if he's still in place for much longer.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Given the apparent state of his conventional forces, I wonder exactly how many of Mad Vlad's nukes can actually still fly?

Don’t ask that question or it leads to the next logical questions of how well maintained and stable they are, and how good the security is vs. a determined thief.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    It’s clear from a spate of POW interviews I’ve seen the troops themselves had no idea they were going to launch this op and were completely unprepared for it, including officers. Morale is low, nothing was organized, soldiers don’t want to fight & readily abandon kit.

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1498675925017370629

Which might suggest the Army Brass thought Putin was bluffing or would not go through with it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

Tabletop gaming setting (well originally, games and books galore now). Stereotypically liked by people who are to nerds what nerds are to non nerds.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/the-best-of-board-wargaming/author/palmer-nicholas/

The Imperial German army was big into table top war gaming, for training their staff officers.....
    Realistic war gamers are looked down on by fantasy/sci fi wargamers according to a wargaming buddy of mine. I couldn't figure out why that might be, but it could just be him.
  • Options

The problem with trying to understand what Putin is trying to do, is knowing how much of his own propaganda he believes.

A common mistake in the past, is to believe that the Other Guys are far too rational to buy into any of that silly dogma they spout.

If Putin truly believes that the existence of a Westernised Ukraine is a threat to the existence of Mother Russia, then this all makes more sense. He sees his back against the wall.....
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

kle4 said:

NEW: Understand the UK is considering a move to suspend Russia from the UN Security Council. They’re one of only five permanent members.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1498637360745136130

Is the UK sure it wants to open that door?
    It should be. The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world and Russia is 11th.
    It probably makes sense the UNSC members should be the US, China, Japan, the EU, the UK, India.
    No, as Russia has a bigger military than Japan and the UK and at least the same size as the entire EU.

India's economy is not much bigger than Russia's
    Because Japan has been committed to pacifism historically but that mentality is undergoing change. Also, real power is determined by the economic base of a country, which is needed to sustain a military. Japan's economy is three times larger than Russia. And India's GDP is 50% larger than Russia and growing faster.

How strange it is that you are peddling pro-Russian lies.
    Real power in the economic arena is determined by economic influence.

Real power in the military arena is determined by the size of your army, navy and airforce and Russia has the third biggest armed forces in the world after the USA and China.

Russia also has the most nuclear missiles of any nation in the world. Japan's economic strength would not be enough to prevent and hold off a Russian invasion of it

India likely will join the UN Security Council by 2050 however, it is the 4th strongest military already and will soon be in the 5th largest economies too
    Sign. Again.

Russia has a gigantic conscript army. Of that a tiny fraction is deployable and usable. Recent events suggest that even that is not exactly..... er... world beating....
    Some but not all.

It also has enough nuclear weapons to destroy most of the western world
    That argument is only going to stack up for so long though.

if Putin tries us on Nato soil, we are going to have to fight him. He is going to to have to meet the full force of a NATO response, nuclear weapons or not.

What makes Johnson so unafraid of triggering WWIII on NATO soil, given he is so afraid of triggering it off NATO soil?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,024
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Just cashed out my Ukraine to win Eurovision at 3.55. +£200 profit.

Well done!

A lot of talk here about what to do with the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine in Glasgow on 24 March.

A lot of Scots consider it grossly unfair to continue with the match when we would effectively be playing a Youth team, as most adult Ukrainian men are serving their country or otherwise prohibited from turning up.

Consensus seems to be that we should concede the match and they get the 3 points, plus donating all the ticket money to war relief.

Why not give Ukraine a bye all the way to the final and let a Ukrainian youth lift the World Cup trophy?
    I think “all the way to the final” might be pushing it. To the finals maybe but Ukrainians are a proud sporting people and would rather watch some actual matches.
    There are only 3 places left - the winner of Scotland v Ukraine plays Wales or Austria

Mr Dickson was suggesting handing them the trophy, not just a place in the finals.
    Precedent for when HYUFD unleashes the doggies of war upon Scotland. It's the only fecking way we'll have a chance at it..
    @HYUFD did it's true receive a lot of stick about certain comments pertaining to Scotland and the Westminster Government's reactions to any potential move towards independence, I'm sure many of them being deliberately provocative.

These past few days, however, he has shown that PB fantasy and actual crisis are well-defined in his head; he has been one of the saner posters on the Ukraine situation.
    Strangely, for once in my PB life, I agree. Escalating the conflict is not something we should do, even if it leaves the ball with Putin.

As far as the Russian military performance goes, I think an invasion now of the Baltics is much further away. If they are finding Ukraine this hard, they won't touch them.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

It’s clear from a spate of POW interviews I’ve seen the troops themselves had no idea they were going to launch this op and were completely unprepared for it, including officers. Morale is low, nothing was organized, soldiers don’t want to fight & readily abandon kit.

Which might suggest the Army Brass thought Putin was bluffing or would not go through with it.

..and maybe somehow or other have not even been connected with the attack from their command centres, either by Putin or by themselves.
  • Options

Possibly. I mean, defending them was the original reason given (since much expanded) and announcing job done, and possibly a corridor to Crimea to boot, would be something. Even if the Zelensky drug nazis were still in place.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,527
    eek said:

The next general election was always going to be November 2023 unless things look disastrous for the Tories.

Can't be earlier because you want the new boundaries in place.
    Can't be later because there is a risk that things turn worse for the Tories

So unless it really looks like there is a lot of good news on the way between November 2023 and May 2024 the safest option is to go for November 2023...
    2024 is trading 1.2-1.25 on Betfair....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

Realistic war gamers are looked down on by fantasy/sci fi wargamers according to a wargaming buddy of mine. I couldn't figure out why that might be, but it could just be him.
    It is a common observation that humans divide themselves into groups to look down on each other. A chain of snears....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,649
    biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Given the apparent state of his conventional forces, I wonder exactly how many of Mad Vlad's nukes can actually still fly?

Don’t ask that question or it leads to the next logical questions of how well maintained and stable they are, and how good the security is vs. a determined thief.
    On recent evidence, you could probably tow them away with a tractor.....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,745
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

A lot of talk here about what to do with the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine in Glasgow on 24 March.

A lot of Scots consider it grossly unfair to continue with the match when we would effectively be playing a Youth team, as most adult Ukrainian men are serving their country or otherwise prohibited from turning up.

Consensus seems to be that we should concede the match and they get the 3 points, plus donating all the ticket money to war relief.

Why not give Ukraine a bye all the way to the final and let a Ukrainian youth lift the World Cup trophy?
    I think “all the way to the final” might be pushing it. To the finals maybe but Ukrainians are a proud sporting people and would rather watch some actual matches.
    There are only 3 places left - the winner of Scotland v Ukraine plays Wales or Austria

Mr Dickson was suggesting handing them the trophy, not just a place in the finals.
    Precedent for when HYUFD unleashes the doggies of war upon Scotland. It's the only fecking way we'll have a chance at it..
    @HYUFD did it's true receive a lot of stick about certain comments pertaining to Scotland and the Westminster Government's reactions to any potential move towards independence, I'm sure many of them being deliberately provocative.

These past few days, however, he has shown that PB fantasy and actual crisis are well-defined in his head; he has been one of the saner posters on the Ukraine situation.
    Well, I may not necessarily go that far but I agree that HYUFD may have got a few too many pelters on this issue, despite some crackpot ideas amongst the reasonable ones.

In a strongish field, one of the very worst aspects of this place is the 'with us or against us' wankerism that is never far away.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,374
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

My guilty secret - I run one of the Largest Historical Gaming conventions in the country. Actually 2 of them since we host them twice a year.

I would also point out that contrary to popular belief those particular nerds (myself included) are usually the ones who are most opposed to actual wars in real life.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

Well, I may not necessarily go that far but I agree that HYUFD may have got a few too many pelters on this issue, despite some crackpot ideas amongst the reasonable ones.

In a strongish field, one of the very worst aspects of this place is the 'with us or against us' wankerism that is never far away.
    So, you’re against us then?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,903

Some kind of agreement which guarantees Ukranian neutrality and some kind of autonomy for the Donbas republics and any other Russian speaking areas which have been occupied. If he goes for Kiev itself which it certainly looks like he is then goodness knows. It would mean the permanent presence of the Russian military in Ukraine and that would or could be ruinous, with all the attendant issues.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

"He wants to WHAT? WE all thought he was just pissed when he said that! SHiiiiiit.... Get some vehicles rolling towards the border..... I don't care, ANYTHING.....Yeah, a British Covenanter, a burger van....just give me NUMBERS....."
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

Strangely, for once in my PB life, I agree. Escalating the conflict is not something we should do, even if it leaves the ball with Putin.

As far as the Russian military performance goes, I think an invasion now of the Baltics is much further away. If they are finding Ukraine this hard, they won't touch them.
    I'd call that a highly selective reading of the comments. Sober approach in one area does not preclude very shocking stuff elsewhere, such as NATO shouldn't fulfill its treaty obligations and ex Soviet nations should not have been allowed to join (not that their joining upset Russia, that's true, but that they should not have a right to choose their own path). Dont buy into some debate martyr revisionism.
  • Options
    German poll on the new massively increased defense spending-

Correct: 78%
    Not correct: 16%

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1498657791497715720
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,200

If the worst comes to the worst, we can send Gazza with his fishing rod to negotiate.
  • Options
    Amazon Fresh is just an amazing shop.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Some kind of agreement which guarantees Ukranian neutrality and some kind of autonomy for the Donbas republics and any other Russian speaking areas which have been occupied. If he goes for Kiev itself which it certainly looks like he is then goodness knows. It would mean the permanent presence of the Russian military in Ukraine and that would or could be ruinous, with all the attendant issues.
    No true democracy can agree to be neutral in perpetuity without, in effect, surrendering its sovereignty. It has to be its choice, and subject to change if it choices otherwise. Hence that has to be a non-starter as it’s essentially subjugating foreign policy to Russia and/or the west.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

NEW: Understand the UK is considering a move to suspend Russia from the UN Security Council. They’re one of only five permanent members.

Depends on the grounds. I was surprised to hear someone mention earlier today that there is actually a procedure in place to do this. But I got the impression it was based on the country having waged unprovoked war. So I am not sure it would set any precedent for further change.

That said I am not sure what benefit it serves. Even if Russia were prevented from vetoing resolutions we all know that UN resolutions are pretty toothless anyway.

Further I can't see China going along with it even if they are lukewarm towards Russia as they might worry they would be on the receiving end later on when they attack Taiwan.

Lots of reasons why I don't think this will happen but none of them relate to the UK.
    I just think you do it once for X reason it becomes mentally easier to imagine doing it again for Y reason, though procedurally and diplomatically would be harder.

As to benefit, I'd say it would be a massive actually. Putin appears obsessed with status, not getting that veto power would enrage him.

But so many nukes I think the security aspect of the security council would prevent removal.
    Bear in mind the only way to do it is to actually expel the country from the UN as a whole. This is the only instance under Chapter VI where it is possible to bypass the Veto. So there is no mechanism for simply removing a country against its will from the Permanent membership without also removing it from the UN as a whole.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,925
    I think it unlikely that Putin would have remained in position for so long, if he has been surrounded by yes men the whole time. If that is the case then he must be a super human individual; as he has continuously outwitted the west.

Something weird is going on though with the recent change of tone though, and the distancing in meetings. This observation is regularly repeated by Putin observers. Something is up, impossible to say what.
  • Options

"He wants to WHAT? WE all thought he was just pissed when he said that! SHiiiiiit.... Get some vehicles rolling towards the border..... I don't care, ANYTHING.....Yeah, a British Covenanter, a burger van....just give me NUMBERS....."
    When did you get appointed to STAVKA and why are you publishing the minutes of staff conferences?
  • Options

But not the good stuff - no point wasting it on this crap plan and project...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,254
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

I'd call that a highly selective reading of the comments. Sober approach in one area does not preclude very shocking stuff elsewhere, such as NATO shouldn't fulfill its treaty obligations and ex Soviet nations should not have been allowed to join (not that their joining upset Russia, that's true, but that they should not have a right to choose their own path). Dont buy into some debate martyr revisionism.
    NATO was creates to defend western Europe and North America only. After the Cold War it should just have expanded to included Poland and Czechoslovakia etc and the Eastern block states.

It was expansion to start including the ex USSR states which in Russian eyes made it an expansionist threat. Though Ukraine should also have been allowed to keep its nuclear weapons which would have avoided Russian invasion anyway
  • Options
    biggles said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

So, you’re against us then?
    https://youtu.be/Iyq4HZZ4H50
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TOPPING said:

I still dont see how neutrality can be accepted by Russia though. Ukraine could promise to not join NATO or the EU but as the last week has shown that wouldn't prevent Ukraine leaning toward and getting its support from those entities.

So whilst promising not to join those bodies is clearly a potential Ukrainian concession would it satisfy Russia when Ukrsine6cdm hardly promise to be neutral in all matters?

Additionally what would Russia concede? If Ukraine accepted autonomy for Donbass would Russua have to reverse its recognition of them as independent?
  • Options

When did you get appointed to STAVKA and why are you publishing the minutes of staff conferences?
    I have my sources.....
  • Options

Amazon Fresh is just an amazing shop.

Will it deliver Mig-29s to Ukraine? If so, shall we all have a whip round?
  • Options
    darkage said:

I think it unlikely that Putin would have remained in position for so long, if he has been surrounded by yes men the whole time. If that is the case then he must be a super human individual; as he has continuously outwitted the west.

Something weird is going on though with the recent change of tone though, and the distancing in meetings. This observation is regularly repeated by Putin observers. Something is up, impossible to say what.

Keeps coming back to he has "Gone Full Tonto", doesn't it?
  • Options
    OT I believe a couple of posters (OKC?) were commenting earlier today about a lack of some foodstuffs on the shelves. Having just been to Waitrose I would suggest it is because they have hijacked every food lorry in the country for themselves. I have not seen them so stuffed with produce for years.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,525
    Russian foreign minister says nuclear war ‘cannot be won and must never be waged’ https://www.ft.com/content/c61aaf81-5716-494d-9a6c-9047620f4aed#post-fe842b93-be1f-435f-9b9e-550126b750c0 via @financialtimes
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,582
    edited March 2022

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

Isn't "with us or against us wankerism" the philosophical basis for Scottish Nationalism?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

He doesn't have one. He wouldn't admit to needing one.
    Those are not spaces he can occupy.

This can only end with Putin ceeding power to A N Other.
    That willonly happen by force from within or without. He will not admit defeat or give up.
    All in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Russian foreign minister says nuclear war ‘cannot be won and must never be waged’ https://www.ft.com/content/c61aaf81-5716-494d-9a6c-9047620f4aed#post-fe842b93-be1f-435f-9b9e-550126b750c0 via @financialtimes

Hurrah ! We're getting somewhere.

Putin's stuffed, I think.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,181
    Looks like Putin levelled Kharkiv's main hospital this afternoon.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

Isn't "with us or against us wankerism" the philosophical basis for Scottish Nationalism?
    No.
  • Options

William Koechling
    @koechlingphoto
    ·
    3m
    Replying to
    @leahmcelrath
    The "40-mile long" convoy was said to have been a translation error. It's 3 miles long and the distance between Kyiv and the convoy was 40 miles. That's the report I heard last night.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Tell your President then.

I dare you....
  • Options
    edited March 2022

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

No.
    What’s really Important…..

The flawed vaccine passport app cost £30,000 a day and breached GDPR rules, just to be different from England, their app was offered to Scotland for £0.

'Shambolic' Scottish Government Covid app cost Scots taxpayers £4.5m

https://twitter.com/Henrythejannie/status/1498566559907913733?
  • Options
    eek said:

William Koechling
    @koechlingphoto
    ·
    3m
    Replying to
    @leahmcelrath
    The "40-mile long" convoy was said to have been a translation error. It's 3 miles long and the distance between Kyiv and the convoy was 40 miles. That's the report I heard last night.

Whaaat ?
  • Options
    So 1 April will be real kick in the teeth for voters:

💷Worker's National Insurance UP 1.25%

⛽️Energy price cap UP to nearly £2,000.

🏦Council taxes UP across the land

😡Millions more dragged into higher income tax rate

But £2,121 MORE for MPs who did it to us.. wey hey. https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1498682854481477638
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

NATO was creates to defend western Europe and North America only. After the Cold War it should just have expanded to included Poland and Czechoslovakia etc and the Eastern block states.

It was expansion to start including the ex USSR states which in Russian eyes made it an expansionist threat. Though Ukraine should also have been allowed to keep its nuclear weapons which would have avoided Russian invasion anyway
    Yes well we cannot change history and NATO changed. It's why playing into Putin's arguments on it are pointless since he literally wants to wish away 25 years. Since that's impossible there's no point dwelling on it.

Additionally whether NATO actually would fulfill its obligations for the east is very different to whether it should. If you make an agreement you stick to it unless it is amended.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

IF they are ruling out nuclear war then what's to stop the West climbing in to Putin's columns right now?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That is encouraging.
  • Options
    eek said:

William Koechling
    @koechlingphoto
    ·
    3m
    Replying to
    @leahmcelrath

Staggering if true in view of repeated media claims it was 40 miles long
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That is encouraging.
    You're telling me !
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,254
    MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

IF they are ruling out nuclear war then what's to stop the West climbing in to Putin's columns right now?
    It is Putin's finger on the nuclear button, not Lavrov's
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I do not want to test that theory
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,024

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

My guilty secret - I run one of the Largest Historical Gaming conventions in the country. Actually 2 of them since we host them twice a year.

I would also point out that contrary to popular belief those particular nerds (myself included) are usually the ones who are most opposed to actual wars in real life.
    I still have my Advanced Squad Leader set, buried somewhere in my cupboard. One or two others too. My favourite was the naval game "Wooden Ships and Iron Men"

For hex based simulations Joni Nuutinen games via the app store are good, though a bit hard to understand without experience of table top games.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Scott_xP said:

America has at times at least taken pretty bad care of its own. I feel like itd be optimistic to believe the Russians were better.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,499

Am I right in thinking it still looks like it is not going well for Putin? Sounds like RU soldiers are not happy and there's a convoy just waiting to be hit to feck by Ukr air force. Meanwhile there's a run on the banks.

The run on the banks is actually the big thing. History tells us that trying to support a currency against a run like this burns though insane amounts of money in no time. See the repeated loans to the US by the US post-war.

That vast pile of cash that Putin has accumulated from oil and gas sales will melt, fast.
    I'm not sure whether Putin fully thought through the implications of opting out of the international rules based system for which he expresses so much contempt. it's not a perfect system by any means, but it is all we have got to hold together a reasonable;y stable world.

Invading an independent democracy in a war of aggression, without even the flimsiest of legal excises, is a profound violation of the entire system.

The bulk of Russia's overseas trade and finance depends on the operation of those rules, and he really ought not to have been surprised when the benefits of the system were denied to him.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

It is Putin's finger on the nuclear button, not Lavrov's
    His authority must be shot. How can you contradict the leader, even by implication ?

• Options
    MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

I think the subtext is probably “it must never be waged but don’t prod us in the eye because we may wage it.” The usual deterrent malarkey.

We do still have to remember that NATO is a defensive alliance.
  • Options
    Britain lagging again…..

At London's Foreign Office where we've just become the first nation to pass a law involving a total BAN of ALL ships with ANY Russian connection whatsoever from entering British ports.

Please RT to encourage all countries to do the same in support of the people of #Ukraine 🇺🇦

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1498618451283300355
  • Options
    eek said:

William Koechling
    @koechlingphoto
    ·
    3m
    Replying to
    @leahmcelrath

Christ, there's a whole PB attack plan based on it being 40 miles long, supported by hunners of posts! Back to the Warhammer table..
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That is encouraging.
    He also has said they will not and are not invading.
  • Options

eek said:

William Koechling
    @koechlingphoto
    ·
    3m
    Replying to
    @leahmcelrath

Christ, there's a whole PB attack plan based on it being 40 miles long, supported by hunners of posts! Back to the Warhammer table..
    The promises that the Really Real Russian Army (as opposed to the B team) is just about to kick off seem to be getting smaller.....
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,976

eek said:

William Koechling
    @koechlingphoto
    ·
    3m
    Replying to
    @leahmcelrath

Don't mind how long it is - I just want to see it heading into the city centre to behead the government - Moscow city centre.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,762

Britain lagging again…..

At London's Foreign Office where we've just become the first nation to pass a law involving a total BAN of ALL ships with ANY Russian connection whatsoever from entering British ports.

Please RT to encourage all countries to do the same in support of the people of #Ukraine 🇺🇦

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1498618451283300355

Just set the International Transport Workers' Federation onto it...
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

That is encouraging.
    That comment below is a direct challenge to Putin. No question about it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,283
    I remember going to Hyde Park corner to laugh at the old men with sandwich boards saying "The End of The World Is Nigh"

BREAKING -

The reason for the attack column being stalled outside Kyiv is a single broken down tank, blocking a vital bridge.

Latest high resolution picture suggest is it a WWII vintage British Covenanter.

Infared pictures indicate it broke down due to overheating - a common problem with the type.

Experts are puzzled by the presence of such a vehicle - "We knew the Russians are throwing any old shit into the battle, but really?"

Not another Friday afternoon tank
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

That is encouraging.
    That is a direct challenge to Putin. No question about it.
    Not so sure - the Russian line is that the "Independent Republics" aren't part of Ukraine and have invited Russia in, for a spot of de-nazifying the place.
  • Options
    It appears that the Russian "antinazi" campaign has bombed the memorial site to Babyn Yar which sits near the base of this TV tower.

@IsraelinUSA @IsraelMFA

Photo: http://ZN.UA https://twitter.com/eric_hontz/status/1498682815692644358/photo/1
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I'm not sure whether Putin fully thought through the implications of opting out of the international rules based system for which he expresses so much contempt. it's not a perfect system by any means, but it is all we have got to hold together a reasonable;y stable world.

Invading an independent democracy in a war of aggression, without even the flimsiest of legal excises, is a profound violation of the entire system.

The bulk of Russia's overseas trade and finance depends on the operation of those rules, and he really ought not to have been surprised when the benefits of the system were denied to him.
    Well he's worth billions so may not be aware of lack of benefits for others. It ain't the king who goes hungry in a famine.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

That is encouraging.
    That is a direct challenge to Putin. No question about it.
    Not so sure - the Russian line is that the "Independent Republics" aren't part of Ukraine and have invited Russia in, for a spot of de-nazifying the place.
    Putin's staked everything on a nuclear threat. Now Lavrov's saying that can never be waged. No - I don't buy that this isn't a challenge - at all.
  • Options
    The new NLAW and Javelin systems arrived in #Ukraine. Thank you!

https://twitter.com/AlexKhrebet/status/1498684583944114181
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

That is encouraging.
    Well, yes. Still, given that the only other pronouncements on the topic have been the high alert and the ‘consequences never seen before’ stuff, I’ll take it:
  • Options
    Lukashenko, addressing his security council, points to a map of Ukraine that shows what look like planned troop movements, infrastructure targets, and the country divided into four parts https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1498684008288423936/photo/1
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,424
    Scott_xP said:

He's quoting a joint statement last month by the five permanent members of the security council:
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/01/03/p5-statement-on-preventing-nuclear-war-and-avoiding-arms-races/
  • Options

eek said:

William Koechling
    @koechlingphoto
    ·
    3m
    Replying to
    @leahmcelrath

The promises that the Really Real Russian Army (as opposed to the B team) is just about to kick off seem to be getting smaller.....
    The image of thousands of soldiers looking like Drago out of Rocky IV does seem to be somewhat tarnished.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

He's quoting a joint statement last month by the five permanent members of the security council:
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/01/03/p5-statement-on-preventing-nuclear-war-and-avoiding-arms-races/
    That doesn't make much difference. It's in direct contradiction to his leader's rhetoric.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Well he's worth billions so may not be aware of lack of benefits for others. It ain't the king who goes hungry in a famine.
    As @rcs1000 has mentioned a number of times, the Russian economy has de-industrialised due to the issue with corruption, resource curse etc.

This means that the Russian economy, which drives the military, is extremely vulnerable to being cut off from imports.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

stjohn said:

Well done!

5 unnecessary word in that quote.........
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,112
    Scott_xP said:

Lukashenko, addressing his security council, points to a map of Ukraine that shows what look like planned troop movements, infrastructure targets, and the country divided into four parts https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1498684008288423936/photo/1

Now there's a smug f***** who needs the smile wiping off his face at the War Crimes Tribuneral.
  • Options
    I might be wrong, but there's a chance it could be Putin out and Lukashenko in.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    kle4 said:

The Yookay’s jaiket is already on a shooglie peg. Pandora’s box.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Had to have the map printed not in a screen I see. I wonder how quickly Belarusian state copy and print services turn around a job.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,181
    Scott_xP said:

Does that arrow go into Transnistria?
  • Options

The new NLAW and Javelin systems arrived in #Ukraine. Thank you!

https://twitter.com/AlexKhrebet/status/1498684583944114181

That tweet was dated a couple of days ago, since when the situation in that city has got worse.

I hope they're being put to good use.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,820

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

That doesn't make much difference. It's in direct contradiction to his leader's rhetoric.
    And he's absolutely right, for once. It cannot be won (unless the aggressor is a rogue state with one or two nukes) and must never be waged.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Had to have the map printed not in a screen I see. I wonder how quickly Belarusian state copy and print services turn around a job.
    War delayed because I had to go to Staples to print out the map, only to find it was closed. It took me six months to hand-draw it out in crayon on the back of this very large and easily-ripped napkin. I can't guarantee all the arrows are pointing the right way...
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Without context of the rest of his remarks I'd have assumed it was more as a warning to others not to get further involved to stop Russia, since if they do no one will win.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TimS said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

And he's absolutely right, for once. It cannot be won (unless the aggressor is a rogue state with one or two nukes) and must never be waged.
    And more importantly, that's also been translated as it "should" never be waged. Oh dear, for Vlad's moral stance on all his loopy videos.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,505

kle4 said:

The Yookay’s jaiket is already on a shooglie peg. Pandora’s box.
    Hmmn. Well, it's a view.

Ukraine does seem to have sent some people up here over the edge. The latest one...(not counting @StuartDickson )

https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/msp-apologises-for-tweet-comparing-ukraines-crisis-to-scottish-independence-3590953

"Michelle Thomson SNP MSP apologises for tweet comparing Ukraine's crisis to Scottish independence"

• Options
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Without context of the rest of his remarks I'd have assumed it was more as a warning to others not to get further involved to stop Russia, since if they do no one will win.
    I'd be amazed if that is so. These are all veterans of the Soviet era. Everything is contained in layers of code.
This discussion has been closed.