Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Ukranian Crisis – Day 5 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Heathener said:

As for the couple of you bashing green policies and even in misty-eyed's case, blaming Putin's invasion on Greta (wtf?) you really need to pull yourselves together.

Recent world events have taught me and many of us that there's a need to cherish this planet on which we live not go even further into raping it.

Fracking is a disgusting rape of the earth and has no place in the British Isles.

We need to extend our renewable energy infrastructure. There are exciting developments on solar energy for example. We are close to the point where all homes will have a solar panel film applied to their windows, and then when all windows will simply have them inbuilt (like a car's heated rear window).

In the longer term we have to build more nuclear power stations, which is the most naturally occurring form of energy in the universe. We are getting close to the holy grail of fusion reactors too.

For some of us, perhaps many of us, we wish to go further and adapt. Homes need to learn to go off-grid as much as possible. Working from home should replace commuting as much as possible. Car use should be the exception rather than the rule if you can. I went down this route two years ago during lockdown and my life immeasurably improved. I am far happier than I ever was in a carbon-dependant life.

That final paragraph is, I accept, more avant garde and should not detract from the previous ones which should and can all do.

What have they done to the earth, yeah?
    What have they done to our fair sister?
    Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
    Stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn and
    Tied her with fences and dragged her down.

Aging hippy stuff. Prescient bloke, Jim.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557
    felix said:

DougSeal said:

Mulling over a comment from @malcolmg on the last thread. Why does he think I’m a Tory? Is this a common misapprehension?

No - but Malc G is a very common misapprehension!
    Dugless appeals to the big boys for help with understanding his ABC, @felix @dougseal
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,716
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Su-34 over Kharkiv. A bad sign about the trajectory of the war, suggests the Russian military has begun to use tactical aviation for bombing. Previously we only saw support from Su-25 attack aircraft. https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1498219630137118720

The military are the key, like the oligarchs. There will be plentiful dissent inside, the question is how to organise it.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Christophe Barraud🛢@C_Barraud🇷🇺 RUSSIAN CENBANK GOVERNOR SAYS HIGH DEMAND FOR CASH HAS SENT BANKING SECTOR INTO STRUCTURAL DEFICIT OF LIQUIDITY - RTRS

They can have their toys back if they get rid of Putin, disarm completely, return all of the Ukrainian territory, and ask very, very nicely.

I wonder what Ukraine will actually choose to inflict upon them?
    Send Putin a Walther PPK 7.65mm
    Actually perhaps see if Kim Jong Il would like a pet Putin. If he'd throw in losing his own nukes then I think we could sign a Truss-limitation deal too.
    You mean, we promise never to deploy more than the one Truss we've currently got out there?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

77% of British voters support more economic sanctions against Russia. 60% support sending more weapons to Ukraine.

54% support sending additional NATO forces to Eastern Europe.

Only 26% support sending UK troops to Ukraine however and only 31% support air strikes against Russian forces in Ukraine
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1498249935095058439?s=20&t=gr4sKFKuZXcOFLeS1MloOg

As many as 31% want British planes to bomb Russia forces!!
    42% however do not.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/fvgp0n8nwr/YouGov - Ukraine conflict and Russian sanctions.pdf
    Perhaps on occasions, polling outcomes should cede to the moral case.
    Morality, other than what is found in religious texts, in a democracy is ultimately determined by the majority of public opinion which the elected government then follows into policy and law
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

dixiedean said:

FPT. By @BartholomewRoberts

I agree with you entirely but Russia's Useful Green Idiots have been opposing the bit in bold.

@Richard_Tyndall is 100% right we need hydrocarbons to get us through the transition to clean energy and we should be developing our own instead of importing it from Putin and Sheiks.

The loony elements of the Green movement oppose any and all exploration and extraction of domestic hydrocarbons. That does play into the hands of the likes of Putin who simply ignore those loons and do as they please.

Dixiedean:

One may say the same about those who have fought tooth and nail to prevent anything to restrict the demand side.
    We hear surprisingly little about that from the other side.
    It's going to take both to get anywhere near.

Somebody made a good point, it isn't just green policy that's preventing fracking in the UK, its nimby-ism. Just as everybody supports other people paying higher taxes, so everybody supports cheaper gas drawn from fields near others.

To make it work, the government needs incentives for people to agree for their areas to be fracked.
    While I agree with this in principle, the problem is that it is by no means clear that on-shore shale (i.e fracking) is economic in the UK.

If you look at the various shale gas regions in the US - the Marcellus, Fayetville, Antrim, Haynesvlle, etc. - you find that a couple are being developed at pace, and a couple of basically been abandoned. Why? Because if it costs $3 to get gas out the ground in the Marcellus and $12 in the Antrim, then that Antrim shale is not economic. If the gas price is $7, then the Marcellus operators are making out like banditos, while the Antrim ones simply aren't drilling.

There are good reasons to think that on-shore shale in the UK is going to be significantly more expensive to develop than in the US. Firstly, we're simply a lot more populated. Most US shale gas is in regions with big ranches and not a lot of people. Land is cheap. Disruption is small. Secondly, the US has a large number of drilling rigs. There are plenty of oil/gas drilling workers and day rates are low. Thirdly, we simply don't know enough about the geology to know whether the Bowland shale is like the Marcellus (or better), or like the Antrim (or worse). And the willingness of oil and gas companies to take both significant geological and pricing risk in the UK is not high.

I would suggest that there are a couple of things - above and beyond removing the ban on fracking that can be done. The most important of these would be tax incentives to gas generators to enter into long term supply contracts with UK shale gas operators would be the most important. This would remove the price risk for an IGas or other UK shale gas player. It would also enable the UK to (relatively) quickly get a handle on what the right price of Bowland shale gas is likely to be. (And it's not a million miles different to what the German government did with solar.)
    OK, in the short term you may be right.
    In the longer term, the cheapest form of energy generation is already from Renewables, we should wean ourselves off fossil fuels not only for the sake of the planet but also to avoid future price spikes and to avoid being dependent on other countries for our energy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

Mulling over a comment from @malcolmg on the last thread. Why does he think I’m a Tory? Is this a common misapprehension?

Fallacy of the undistributed middle:

I have never kissed a tory

I have never kissed you

Therefore you are a tory

Unless the two of you did have a teenage snog, in which case ignore.
    It’s Malc’s deep dark secret but have fond memories of our sensitive crimes in the turnip field.
    @IshmaelZ @DougSeal

LOL, my tanktopped stalker is a fantasist, Go on Betty get a life.
    Get a room
    Huh? Get a turnip field.
    Both of you go and have aeronautical sexual intercourse with a rolling doughnut , ie go F*** yourselves @Mexicanpete @Malmesbury
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Woefully inadequate

100,000 Ukranains fleeing Russian invasion to be offered sanctuary in the UK @pritipatel announces.
    https://twitter.com/Torcuil/status/1498317167237992454

100k is lots of people. Most will want to stay closer to home in more culturally similar slavic nations such as Poland & Czech republic, probably not Serbia mind.....
    Scott would have said the same whatever figure had been given. Best ignored.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,031
    edited February 2022

Patel rejects full visa waiver for Ukrainians saying there are security concerns about extremists entering UK as well as Russians who may try to pose as Ukrainian

Says her approach is "based on the strongest security advice"

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1498319570985275402

Carefully phrased to remove the (utter lack of) humanity and dignity bit.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,763
    IshmaelZ said:

Not generally a big fan of Nicola Sturgeon but good to see her debunking the rubbish about Liz Truss.

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1498308697516298240

"Whatever political disagreements any of us have with Liz Truss - and I have many deep differences with her - we should not fall for this transparent Russian attempt to divert. The only person responsible for Putin’s despicable nuclear threat is Putin."

No, that is dim of Nicola.

You meet a lunatic with an axe who wants to murder his wife. He asks about her whereabouts. You truthfully tell him. The person responsible for the ensuing despicable axe murder is the husband, but you don't come out looking great either.

This let's all get behind the Trussster nonsense is inexplicable. Never seen anyone so far out of their depth.
    Truss cannot be useless and consequential at the same time. It doesn't excuse how enthusiastic some outlets are to parrot the Kremlin line.

Sturgeon got the tone right there. It's a good intervention, politically, as the SNP need to find a way to be relevant in a UK Gov dominant issue.

The other thing would be to propose a deal with Germany over offshore wind.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Woefully inadequate

100,000 Ukranains fleeing Russian invasion to be offered sanctuary in the UK @pritipatel announces.

Even 100,000 is pushing the limits of public opinion, just 9% of British voters want to take 100s of thousands of Ukranian refugees
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1497568020738289672?s=20&t=iNWnFDJP8iiVnvl_CMZy-Q
  • Options
    Leon said:

Another grim video from Kharkiv. No bodies or gore, but just the terrible sound of missiles slamming into ordinary neighborhoods, with people shopping, and the consequent screams and chaos

https://twitter.com/fanelgaut/status/1498315487628996619?s=20&t=o7bdEtafvlzfyUg4-eheCQ

This is Hitlerite shite

And this is the largely Russian-speaking population of Ukraine, which Putin claims he's trying to protect.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

eek said:

Christophe Barraud🛢@C_Barraud🇷🇺 RUSSIAN CENBANK GOVERNOR SAYS HIGH DEMAND FOR CASH HAS SENT BANKING SECTOR INTO STRUCTURAL DEFICIT OF LIQUIDITY - RTRS

That's an interesting way to say Bankrupt.
    Insurance on Russian debt non-payment assumes 56% chance of bond default, according to bloomberg,

These f8ckers are turning into Argentina overnight.
    The body language of the central bank chief in that photo says it all.

A madman has blown his own country up economically because of he's weird paranoid fantasies about the world.

Even the oligarchs and the meatpacking glitterati must be ready to get rid now?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

dixiedean said:

I agree with you entirely but Russia's Useful Green Idiots have been opposing the bit in bold.

@Richard_Tyndall is 100% right we need hydrocarbons to get us through the transition to clean energy and we should be developing our own instead of importing it from Putin and Sheiks.

The loony elements of the Green movement oppose any and all exploration and extraction of domestic hydrocarbons. That does play into the hands of the likes of Putin who simply ignore those loons and do as they please.

Dixiedean:

One may say the same about those who have fought tooth and nail to prevent anything to restrict the demand side.

Somebody made a good point, it isn't just green policy that's preventing fracking in the UK, its nimby-ism. Just as everybody supports other people paying higher taxes, so everybody supports cheaper gas drawn from fields near others.

To make it work, the government needs incentives for people to agree for their areas to be fracked.
    While I agree with this in principle, the problem is that it is by no means clear that on-shore shale (i.e fracking) is economic in the UK.

If you look at the various shale gas regions in the US - the Marcellus, Fayetville, Antrim, Haynesvlle, etc. - you find that a couple are being developed at pace, and a couple of basically been abandoned. Why? Because if it costs $3 to get gas out the ground in the Marcellus and $12 in the Antrim, then that Antrim shale is not economic. If the gas price is $7, then the Marcellus operators are making out like banditos, while the Antrim ones simply aren't drilling.

There are good reasons to think that on-shore shale in the UK is going to be significantly more expensive to develop than in the US. Firstly, we're simply a lot more populated. Most US shale gas is in regions with big ranches and not a lot of people. Land is cheap. Disruption is small. Secondly, the US has a large number of drilling rigs. There are plenty of oil/gas drilling workers and day rates are low. Thirdly, we simply don't know enough about the geology to know whether the Bowland shale is like the Marcellus (or better), or like the Antrim (or worse). And the willingness of oil and gas companies to take both significant geological and pricing risk in the UK is not high.

I would suggest that there are a couple of things - above and beyond removing the ban on fracking that can be done. The most important of these would be tax incentives to gas generators to enter into long term supply contracts with UK shale gas operators would be the most important. This would remove the price risk for an IGas or other UK shale gas player. It would also enable the UK to (relatively) quickly get a handle on what the right price of Bowland shale gas is likely to be. (And it's not a million miles different to what the German government did with solar.)
    In any case, the UK fracking is a non starter more generally - I read a geologist's assessment that the strata were too folded, intruded and cooked thermally in the past, certainly by comparison with the great North American sedimentary basins.
    The reality is that we don't know enough. The traditional US oil and gas regions (Texas, Pennsylvania, etc.) have had enormous numbers of cores drilled over the past hundred years, and those core samples have been photographed and archived. There have also been enormous amounts of seismic shot.

An oil & gas company in the US looking to drill a well can draw upon a huge amount of information before he ever commits to a single day of drilling.

That's not true in the UK. And therefore you have an awful lot of risk.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,981

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

They can have their toys back if they get rid of Putin, disarm completely, return all of the Ukrainian territory, and ask very, very nicely.

I wonder what Ukraine will actually choose to inflict upon them?
    Send Putin a Walther PPK 7.65mm
    Actually perhaps see if Kim Jong Il would like a pet Putin. If he'd throw in losing his own nukes then I think we could sign a Truss-limitation deal too.
    You mean, we promise never to deploy more than the one Truss we've currently got out there?
    Dreadnaughts had nothing on this.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

Not generally a big fan of Nicola Sturgeon but good to see her debunking the rubbish about Liz Truss.

"Whatever political disagreements any of us have with Liz Truss - and I have many deep differences with her - we should not fall for this transparent Russian attempt to divert. The only person responsible for Putin’s despicable nuclear threat is Putin."

You meet a lunatic with an axe who wants to murder his wife. He asks about her whereabouts. You truthfully tell him. The person responsible for the ensuing despicable axe murder is the husband, but you don't come out looking great either.

This let's all get behind the Trussster nonsense is inexplicable. Never seen anyone so far out of their depth.
    Truss cannot be useless and consequential at the same time. It doesn't excuse how enthusiastic some outlets are to parrot the Kremlin line.

Sturgeon got the tone right there. It's a good intervention, politically, as the SNP need to find a way to be relevant in a UK Gov dominant issue.

"Truss cannot be useless and consequential at the same time."

Well of course she can. She is a useless person in a consequential position.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The government, to my great surprise, has done very well on the Ukraine crisis so far, yet the refugee stance risks undoing a lot of that good work. These people are in need of a safe nation to reside in temporarily and we should enable them to come here. Ukrainians are very patriotic people and once Ukraine has been made safe to return I doubt many will decide not to go back and those who don't we should be happy for them to stay.

Priti Patel has once again showed why she's unsuitable for the leadership.

Yet it is Liz Truss who the Russians have blamed for putting their nuclear arsenal on alert.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60558048

Yes we can take some refugees but the public are quite clear we cannot take hundreds of thousands of them
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1497568020738289672?s=20&t=gr4sKFKuZXcOFLeS1MloOg
    Again right wing ante immigration attitude nuanced in your posts

Of course numbers need to be considered, but right now most want to stay in the area around Ukraine but your attitude damages public sentiment that we should not put barriers in the way of Ukrainians seeking asylum here
    Just 9% of British voters want to take in hundreds of thousands of Ukranian refugees on that poll.

Yes we can take in a few but we cannot take all
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1497568020738289672?s=20&t=iNWnFDJP8iiVnvl_CMZy-Q
    Do you know what the results are if voters are asked if they want Essex to take hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian refugees?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The government, to my great surprise, has done very well on the Ukraine crisis so far, yet the refugee stance risks undoing a lot of that good work. These people are in need of a safe nation to reside in temporarily and we should enable them to come here. Ukrainians are very patriotic people and once Ukraine has been made safe to return I doubt many will decide not to go back and those who don't we should be happy for them to stay.

Yet it is Liz Truss who the Russians have blamed for putting their nuclear arsenal on alert.

Yes we can take some refugees but the public are quite clear we cannot take hundreds of thousands of them
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1497568020738289672?s=20&t=gr4sKFKuZXcOFLeS1MloOg

Of course numbers need to be considered, but right now most want to stay in the area around Ukraine but your attitude damages public sentiment that we should not put barriers in the way of Ukrainians seeking asylum here
    Just 9% of British voters want to take in hundreds of thousands of Ukranian refugees on that poll.

Do you know what the results are if voters are asked if they want Essex to take hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian refugees?
    Immigration policy is determined for the whole UK not just 1 county, not least as Priti Patel is an Essex MP.

Any refugees would be divided equally between each UK region
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,763
    IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

You reckon Putin is breathlessly waiting on every Truss tweet, moving Russian subs into position based on the number of flags in the background?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,209

Leon said:

Another grim video from Kharkiv. No bodies or gore, but just the terrible sound of missiles slamming into ordinary neighborhoods, with people shopping, and the consequent screams and chaos

https://twitter.com/fanelgaut/status/1498315487628996619?s=20&t=o7bdEtafvlzfyUg4-eheCQ

This is Hitlerite shite

And this is the largely Russian-speaking population of Ukraine, which Putin claims he's trying to protect.
    Population of Kharkiv is 33% Russian ethnicity IIRC. Or at least it was - not sure if many fled to Russia before the invasion.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

dixiedean said:

Dixiedean:

In the longer term, the cheapest form of energy generation is already from Renewables, we should wean ourselves off fossil fuels not only for the sake of the planet but also to avoid future price spikes and to avoid being dependent on other countries for our energy.
    The question is not really about where the vast majority of electricity generation should come from - and that is renewables.

It is how do we deal with times when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing?

At that time you need backups - and natural gas is clearly the best choice. It is energy dense. It can be powered up (or down) very quickly at times of need. It is relatively unpolluting. And one can store several months of usage, should you so desire.
  • Options
    PUTIN ORDERS RUSSIAN ECONOMIC COUNTER-SANCTIONS: IFX

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1498322451666767882?
  • Options
    The plan to build a silicon valley on the arc between Oxford and Cambridge (to expand Silicon Fen) has been scrapped by Michael Gove. https://www.theregister.com/2022/02/28/oxford_cambridge_arc_stalled/

The plan is to move it further north but I would love to know where - Manchester and Leeds are strange places when it comes to the IT marketplace.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,255
    edited February 2022
    Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

You reckon Putin is breathlessly waiting on every Truss tweet, moving Russian subs into position based on the number of flags in the background?
    Obviously not. He does that based upon whether Leon insulted his manhood that day.
  • Options
    My god, all of the Ukrainians are doing such amazing things. Their UN ambassador is currently delivering an outstanding speech.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,144
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

77% of British voters support more economic sanctions against Russia. 60% support sending more weapons to Ukraine.

Only 26% support sending UK troops to Ukraine however and only 31% support air strikes against Russian forces in Ukraine
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1498249935095058439?s=20&t=gr4sKFKuZXcOFLeS1MloOg

42% however do not.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/fvgp0n8nwr/YouGov - Ukraine conflict and Russian sanctions.pdf
    Morality, other than what is found in religious texts, in a democracy is ultimately determined by the majority of public opinion which the elected government then follows into policy and law
    Come now Ayatollah Khomeini.

Hmmm. The man with the small moustache demonstrated an immorality "in (initially at least) a democracy ... ultimately determined by the majority of public opinion which the elected government then follow(ed) into policy and law".
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

Why would I think that? I think he gives due weight to her official pronouncemouts as UK FS. Why wouldn't he?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,126
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Woefully inadequate

Even 100,000 is pushing the limits of public opinion, just 9% of British voters want to take 100s of thousands of Ukranian refugees
    Sometimes the government has to make decisions that aren't based on a poll.

Do you think we should take relatives of people already here?

There's quite a few Ukrainians in the Flatlands and I can't see there being any trouble with it.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/marina-lewycka-1768147

Sadly the International Harvesters tractor factory is no more. It was sold off to an Italian firm at the behest of the EU and they were given a grant to move all the equipment to Italy...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

Quite.
    Ribbentrop springs to mind (I know he was a von but afaics that was a later add on)
  • Options
    Why does Putin always sit a dozen yards from people he is having meetings with?

It looks seriously weird.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Gas, presumably. But that doesn't help him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Presumably he carries a firearm and would thus have time to shoot anyone that tries to strangle him.
  • Options

Would these (strictly) economic sanctions be armed with nuclear warheads?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hive mind says compromised immune system, ? cancer/chemo related.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,038
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

I have never kissed you

Therefore you are a tory

It’s Malc’s deep dark secret but have fond memories of our sensitive crimes in the turnip field.
    @IshmaelZ @DougSeal

Hell hath no fury…
  • Options
    Ukr ambassador questioning whether Russian Fed is actually in the UN?
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

MISTY said:

eek said:

That's an interesting way to say Bankrupt.
    Insurance on Russian debt non-payment assumes 56% chance of bond default, according to bloomberg,

These f8ckers are turning into Argentina overnight.
    The body language of the central bank chief in that photo says it all.

A madman has blown his own country up economically because of he's weird paranoid fantasies about the world.

Even the oligarchs and the meatpacking glitterati must be ready to get rid now?
    He's blown it up after stealing a good deal of whatever wealth it did have.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Immigration policy is determined for the whole UK not just 1 county, not least as Priti Patel is an Essex MP.

Ha ha.
    That would be a first.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,209
    Interesting:

At the request of the Ukrainian government, the French president, Emmanuel Macron, has spoken to his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, the Elysée palace has said in a statement:

The president reiterated the international community’s demand that [Russia] halt its offensive against Ukraine, and reaffirmed the necessity of immediately establishing a ceasefire.
    With ceasefire talks between Kyiv and Moscow under way on the Belarus border, Macron also asked Putin to ensure that for the duration of the negotiations all strikes and attacks on civilians and their homes would be halted, civilian infrastructure would be preserved, and all main roads – particularly the road south out of Kyiv – would remain safe to use.

Putin “confirmed his willingness to commit to all three points”, the Elysée statement said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/feb/28/russia-ukraine-war-latest-news-update-conflict-belarus-putin-nuclear-deterrence-order-kyiv-russian-invasion-live-updates
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,957
    Sean_F said:

Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Also:

This should not be taken as an isolated incident. This is a clear sign that Kremlin's reputation cost is now literally 0. And this means a nuclear strike is becoming realistic.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498292779222458372

He is right.
    That is ridiculous. Putin doesn't care about his reputation but he cares about full scale war with the West because he would lose. That is why a nuclear strike is not happening. Those pushing it are just trying to play the "don't poke the bear" card.
    Ask yourself this question, Asian.

If Hitler had had the bomb, would he have used it to destroy the rest of the world as he faced certain defeat?

Next question. If Hitler, why not Putin?
    Hitler, yes. The issue is whether he would have been obeyed, if Germany in turn faced atomic devastation.
    Certainly a relevant factor. But the notion of a clean and simple "if they push the button, we push the button back and they know this so they won't" formulation just doesn't ring true to me. More likely imo - in practice which is all that counts - is a messy escalating situation which spins out of control.

Eg (and this is only an eg) Putin/Russia first calculate what WMD they could use, and where, that would stop just short of triggering a response in kind. Once this path is chosen, whether they have calculated right or wrong, the chance of a cataclysmic ultimate outcome is non-trivial.

This is why I take little comfort from the "nuclear deterrent" and "mutually assured destruction". I think the logic behind it is a bit facile and ivory tower.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,268
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

You cruel bastard. They come from the Ukraine looking to avoid torture and violence, and then you chop them into 48 bits and mail them around the country.
    Consign their parts most private unto a Rutland tree.
  • Options

zerohedge
    @zerohedge
    ·
    4m
    PUTIN BANS FX OPERATIONS FROM RUSSIAN RESIDENTS TO NON-RESIDENTS ON LOAN CONTRACTS FROM MARCH 1

blanket default?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    It he starts stopping exports of gas , the economic meltdown is just going to be even quicker. I can't see what he can do economically against the USA or Europe.
  • Options

That's the gas about to go then.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

WTF?
  • Options

Well, if he'd done it in October it would have caused enormous problems in Europe.

But done at the beginning of March, when the Germans are only using 4GW of natural gas in power gen, it's not anywhere near as big a threat.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,145
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

I have never kissed you

Therefore you are a tory

@IshmaelZ @DougSeal

Get a room
    Huh? Get a turnip field.
    Both of you go and have aeronautical sexual intercourse with a rolling doughnut , ie go F*** yourselves @Mexicanpete @Malmesbury
    Talking about neeps, we managed to restock with mutton for stewing (and mutton mince as well), so that's the neeps sorted for the next week or two.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

42% however do not.

Hmmm. The man with the small moustache demonstrated an immorality "in (initially at least) a democracy ... ultimately determined by the majority of public opinion which the elected government then follow(ed) into policy and law".
    Hitler on no level represented Christian morality no but he did represent the views of enough Germans for the Nazis to win most seats in the German Parliament in the 1930s.

Absent religious morality, morality is just simply the view of the majority of public opinion at the time, which in turn through the elected government then influences lawmaking
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,929

rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/AceJaceu/status/1498304502704787457

Turkish-built TB2s are putting in one hell of a shift. Very kind of the Russians to mark their vehicles up with a massive Z so that the drones know which ones to blow up.

I guess the assumption was that the Russian air force would be the one needing to do the distinguishing.

I don't know whether it's a reflection of Ukraine's success in the propaganda war more than reality, but the Russian air force seems like the weakest link of the Russian campaign to date.
    The problem they have, is that there’s not columns of Ukranian tanks and missile launchers running around.

The anti-tank weapons are handheld and invisible, the NATO anti-aircraft weapons not much bigger and easily hidden in cities.

The Russians sent missiles to UA military bases on Day 1, but haven’t really followed up. Rumour that they don’t have many of them! Russian fighter planes in Ukraine have been almost all shot out of the sky. Still no pictures of the two IL-76 transporters allegedly shot down a couple of days ago though, that might be ‘fog of war’. Pictures of paratroopers dropped in the freezing sea were rather indicative of the Russian ineptness.
    This does feel something like a re-run of the Russo-FInnish Winter War of 1939-40. Russians go expecting a walkover but prove disastrously unprepared. The defenders adopt hit and run tactics, multiplying their force effectiveness and demoralizing the aggressors. It's stingers, drones and anti-tank missiles this time around, not ski-borne snipers, and Molotov cocktails (so-named if not invented by the Finns), but the chopping up of stuck columns is reminiscent of the Finnish motti

Of course the Finns were defeated in the end, losing a huge swathe of territory and resources, but they did keep their independence.

I don't know a lot of Finns but the ones I do know are very conscious of the Winter War and the courage and resourcefulness of their forces. Sadly, I don't suppose they'll ever get Karelia back.
    According to a Finnish friend of mine they were offered Karelia back after the end of the cold war. They turned it down as they didn't want to also inherit the Russian speaking population. Amazing foresight.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,281
    edited February 2022

@AFP
    #BREAKING US recommends Americans in Russia leave 'immediately': State Dept

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498303955415277582

They said this yesterday
    Might as well leave, they wont be able to get any money out of the ATM to buy food soon.
    Depends if they kept the odd ten dollar bill from when they arrived. If so they can now just buy Moscow.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Woefully inadequate

There's quite a few Ukrainians in the Flatlands and I don't I can't see there being any trouble with it.

Sadly the International Harvesters tractor factory is no more. It was sold off to an Italian firm at the behest of the EU and they were given a grant to move all the equipment to Italy...
    I think we are underselling the British public in this. There will always be a vocal minority who see any asylum as the thin end of the wedge but they can be rightly ignored. I think the vast majority of people will support us taking in these refugees given what they are facing and putting an upper limit on it in this way sends entirely the wrong message.

The Government have done pretty well so far on this crisis. This though is a major misstep. They have given the appearance of having been dragged to make a concession and then not even got that right when they made it. It compares extremely poorly with what our neighbours are doing.
  • Options

Robert Smith
    @BondHack
    ·
    13m
    UKRAINE TO ISSUE WAR BONDS TO FUND ITS ARMED FORCES IN BATTLE AGAINST RUSSIA

UKRAINE HOSTING CALL WITH DEBT INVESTORS AT 4PM LONDON TIME

(full to story to come)

https://twitter.com/BondHack
  • Options

Interesting:

At the request of the Ukrainian government, the French president, Emmanuel Macron, has spoken to his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, the Elysée palace has said in a statement:

The president reiterated the international community’s demand that [Russia] halt its offensive against Ukraine, and reaffirmed the necessity of immediately establishing a ceasefire.
    With ceasefire talks between Kyiv and Moscow under way on the Belarus border, Macron also asked Putin to ensure that for the duration of the negotiations all strikes and attacks on civilians and their homes would be halted, civilian infrastructure would be preserved, and all main roads – particularly the road south out of Kyiv – would remain safe to use.

Putin “confirmed his willingness to commit to all three points”, the Elysée statement said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/feb/28/russia-ukraine-war-latest-news-update-conflict-belarus-putin-nuclear-deterrence-order-kyiv-russian-invasion-live-updates

Macron put the phone down, began scratching his chin and shouted “jacques hill!”
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,632
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Michael Flynn wrote another op-ed for Russia, saying Putin has "legitimate security concerns."
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PiperK/status/1498113706693214208

One of Trump's advisors was on Fox saying that we should absolutely let Russia take parts of Ukraine.

It was so bad the Fox anchor had to do a minutes long rebuttal.

But sure, tell me about how if Trump (who impeached for attempting to withhold aid to Ukraine) was in charge Putin wouldn't be trying to seize Ukrainian territory.
    I’m ignoring your analysis on Trump and Ukraine.

I’m waiting for Mr Ed’s fair and balanced take on it.
    No need to wait, I can do it -

"I know this will be unpopular on here and I'll probably get shouted down for it but Trump was an unpredictable son of a bitch and it's likely Putin wouldn't have dared mess with him. Of course this doesn't justify what Russia is doing. Sure they have a valid claim from their point of view on Ukraine and it was probably unwise of the West to disrespect this (as Trump warned, to be fair to him), but that's no excuse for a full invasion. A half of an invasion, maybe, but not one like this. Still, we are where we are, no point wailing and virtue signalling about it, what's needed now is some hard-headed dealmaking. The sort of thing that Trump, love him or loathe him, and to again be fair to him, quite literally wrote the book on. Shame about Biden."
    Not bad.

Actual quote from the 11th Feb.
    Much as you - and others on here - slag me off for saying I preferred Trump over Biden, this is exactly the reason why I would stand by my choice. There is a reason Putin didn’t try any sh1t when Trump was President and it wasn’t because he was Kompromat. It was because Putin was wary of provoking someone like Trump. Biden is weak but my overriding fear is that, in order to give off the impression of strength, Biden tries too hard and pushes the world into a catastrophe...

Also...
    ...But the US has essentially sold Ukraine down the river by making it clear it won’t get involved and, even if there are sanctions, they will be limited in scope.

What looks more clear is that Putin despises Biden, sees him as weak and a pushover. And predictable. And that’s dangerous...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,045

Interesting:

Well that's all very welcome, but what is there to negotiate? Russia stops invading Ukraine and Ukraine - what? What can Ukraine offer? Agrees to pretend the whole thing never happened?
    This isn't two competing claimants where mutual antagonism and claims on either side has led step by step to war. This is one country minding its own business while the other one marches in raining death and destruction and demands the country be handed over to it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Woefully inadequate

There's quite a few Ukrainians in the Flatlands and I can't see there being any trouble with it.

Leigh and Bolton have quite sizeable Ukrainian communities.
    Wasn't uncommon to play a Leigh RL side with 4 or 5 Ukrainian surnames.
    When I did my PGCE in Bolton the student bar for the Education Campus was the Ukrainian club across the road.
    Not entirely sure why. Mining I guess.
  • Options
    So Boris would stay PM in his nuclear bunker with a Conservative majority while he is launching retaliatory Trident nuclear missile strikes against Moscow and St Petersburg
  • Options
    Putin and Macron just spoke for 90 minutes.

Doesn't look Putin is ready to back down: he said a deal "is possible only if Russia’s legitimate security interests are unconditionally taken into account.

Those interests include:

– recognition of Russian sovereignty over Crimea
    – demilitarization and denazification of the Ukrainian state
    – ensuring its neutral status

Ukraine said it was open to neutrality, but hard to see how they agree to the rest after all that's happened."

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1498323686495039489?s=21
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,882
    rcs1000 said:

What makes you think it's not the other people choosing to always sit a dozen yards from him?

Once your leader goes into unhinged foreign adventurer mode, you want to be out of range of the spittle.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

42% however do not.

Hitler on no level represented Christian morality no but he did represent the views of enough Germans for the Nazis to win most seats in the German Parliament in the 1930s.

Absent religious morality, morality is just simply the view of the majority of public opinion at the time, which in turn through the elected government then influences lawmaking
    No it really isn't. People have a basic understanding of personal morality that goes far beyond merely the societal norm and is there irrespective of religious belief. Indeed in many cases both religious belief and 'public opinion' actively work against this innate moral sense.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

Quite.
    Ribbentrop springs to mind (I know he was a von but afaics that was a later add on)
    My ancient history tutor Tom Braun told the story that his Jewish parents got out of Germany to UK in 1938 and stayed initially in a hotel in Oxfordshire. When paying the bill they commented on the hospitality they had received and were told We always like you germans, that lovely couple the Ribbentrops were among our favourite guests.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Woefully inadequate

Have you considered that, just occasionally, Governments might be best to do the right thing, rather than the immediately popular one?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,673
    HYUFD said:

So Boris would stay PM in his nuclear bunker with a Conservative majority while he is launching retaliatory Trident nuclear missile strikes against Moscow and St Petersburg
    Boris wouldn't have a seat though....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Michael Flynn wrote another op-ed for Russia, saying Putin has "legitimate security concerns."

One of Trump's advisors was on Fox saying that we should absolutely let Russia take parts of Ukraine.

But sure, tell me about how if Trump (who impeached for attempting to withhold aid to Ukraine) was in charge Putin wouldn't be trying to seize Ukrainian territory.

"I know this will be unpopular on here and I'll probably get shouted down for it but Trump was an unpredictable son of a bitch and it's likely Putin wouldn't have dared mess with him. Of course this doesn't justify what Russia is doing. Sure they have a valid claim from their point of view on Ukraine and it was probably unwise of the West to disrespect this (as Trump warned, to be fair to him), but that's no excuse for a full invasion. A half of an invasion, maybe, but not one like this. Still, we are where we are, no point wailing and virtue signalling about it, what's needed now is some hard-headed dealmaking. The sort of thing that Trump, love him or loathe him, and to again be fair to him, quite literally wrote the book on. Shame about Biden."
    Not bad.

Much as you - and others on here - slag me off for saying I preferred Trump over Biden, this is exactly the reason why I would stand by my choice. There is a reason Putin didn’t try any sh1t when Trump was President and it wasn’t because he was Kompromat. It was because Putin was wary of provoking someone like Trump. Biden is weak but my overriding fear is that, in order to give off the impression of strength, Biden tries too hard and pushes the world into a catastrophe...

Also...
    ...But the US has essentially sold Ukraine down the river by making it clear it won’t get involved and, even if there are sanctions, they will be limited in scope.

What looks more clear is that Putin despises Biden, sees him as weak and a pushover. And predictable. And that’s dangerous...
    Well, I think @MrEd is partly right. I think the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan told Putin that the US was not up for a fight.

What Putin got wrong is that Biden is an old cold war warrior, who sees Russia as a threat, and who is a big supporter of NATO.

It is also worth noting that Russia did invade Ukraine on Trump's watch. The breakaway areas in the East were invaded by Russian troops on Trump's watch, and he did absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Doesn't look Putin is ready to back down: he said a deal "is possible only if Russia’s legitimate security interests are unconditionally taken into account.

Those interests include:

Ukraine said it was open to neutrality, but hard to see how they agree to the rest after all that's happened."

"Demilitarisation of the Ukrainian state" is never going to happen, because that goes beyond neutrality. He's moving, very likely under massive pressure from somewhere inside, but he's going to have to get rid of that one as well.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703

HYUFD said:

Boris wouldn't have a seat though....
    One man, one vote...
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

42% however do not.

No it really isn't. People have a basic understanding of personal morality that goes far beyond merely the societal norm and is there irrespective of religious belief. Indeed in many cases both religious belief and 'public opinion' actively work against this innate moral sense.
    Peoples' personal morality is what the majority of them think is right at the time.

In the 1930s most Germans voted for the Nazis and the Nationalists. Hitler represented what most Germans' personal morality was for that period.

Religious morality however is set in stone in religious texts like the Bible, Torah and Koran regardless of public opinion
  • Options
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,126
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Woefully inadequate

There's quite a few Ukrainians in the Flatlands and I don't I can't see there being any trouble with it.

I think we are underselling the British public in this. There will always be a vocal minority who see any asylum as the thin end of the wedge but they can be rightly ignored. I think the vast majority of people will support us taking in these refugees given what they are facing and putting an upper limit on it in this way sends entirely the wrong message.

The Government have done pretty well so far on this crisis. This though is a major misstep. They have given the appearance of having been dragged to make a concession and then not even got that right when they made it. It compares extremely poorly with what our neighbours are doing.
    Indeed.

I could kind of understand the wariness over Afghan refugees without papers or not taken directly from Afghanistan.

But a mother with children carrying a Ukrainian passport isn't going to turn out to be ISIS.

Let them in.

I'm sure the government will get it right eventually, but the delay looks terrible.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,045
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Not bad.

Also...

I don't think any of that's unreasonable, tbh. Biden hasn't exactly inspired confidence in his determination to defend friendly regimes against aggressors. My wife, who has nothing but contempt for Trump, made the same point last night.
    OTOH, the one thing we are told that Biden is good at - and the way things have gone this last year makes me believe it - is building coalitions of allies. Hard to imagine the west would have worked so well together with Trump in charge.
  • Options

Those interests include:

Number 1 they can give as that’s defacto anyway.

Number 3 is a paper promise.

Number 2 is the tricky 1. They can’t forfeit their army. And there’s no reason why the “Nazi in Chief” should resign as President. A promise not to host foreign military assets but then beef up their own capability perhaps.

Hopefully room for a compromise in there somewhere.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Interesting:

Well that's all very welcome, but what is there to negotiate? Russia stops invading Ukraine and Ukraine - what? What can Ukraine offer? Agrees to pretend the whole thing never happened?
    This isn't two competing claimants where mutual antagonism and claims on either side has led step by step to war. This is one country minding its own business while the other one marches in raining death and destruction and demands the country be handed over to it.
    As it stands Russia will have to make concessions. They're losing, and losing badly.

• Options
    Today I've written to all UK ports asking them not to provide access to any Russian flagged, registered, owned, controlled, chartered or operated vessels.

Given Putin's action in #Ukraine I've made clear these vessels are NOT welcome here with prohibiting legislation to follow.

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1498324731635843074
  • Options

Those interests include:

I could see Crimea being ceded too.

But ultimately (2) is a complete non-starter.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Disappointed to see I won't survive. Marginally.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,805
    rcs1000 said:

Well, if he'd done it in October it would have caused enormous problems in Europe.

But done at the beginning of March, when the Germans are only using 4GW of natural gas in power gen, it's not anywhere near as big a threat.
    How long would it take for us or the Germans to get other measures in place for next winter to ensure security of supply? LNG is going to be in short supply for delivery, and you can't just build coal plants or enough renewables that quickly. In the case of Germany, they'll have to build terminals - how long would that take?

Whatever, I cannot see many countries taking much gas from Germany in the medium term unless te terms are *very* good. You don't want them to just switch off the tap.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 981
    Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

dixiedean said:

Dixiedean:

In case you've missed it, my attitude to NIMBYs is long-established. I have as little respect for NIMBYs here as I do anywhere and they would if it were up to me get the exact same response as I'd give them elsewhere. Fuck NIMBYs.

However incentivising areas that get fracked is a very good idea, and is what the Americans have done very successfully.
    That’s easy - let local authorities rather than central government levy taxes on production. If everyone in your district gets a cheque instead of a council tax bill, people might suddenly be in favour of it.
    Trouble with this, is that knowing the average Local Authority, they'll waste the entire windfall on some ill thought-out scheme to invest in Dutch tulips, and end up demanding a council tax increase instead.

A better system would be that say 80% of the windfall was distributed as a council tax reduction (but in no way controlled by the council), and 20% went directly to the council budget. That would provide the right incentives all round, but prevent local councils from doing too much stupid stuff with the windfall. (This would be a better arrangement than all the S106 planning stuff too).

The irony with fracking is that there is virtually nothing for the nimby's to get excided about anyway - if it didn't need lots of planning consent etc, they would never even notice it happening - it's just that somehow the crusties have convinced the world fracking will result in the four horsemen of the apocalypse appearing on the street.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

42% however do not.

Peoples' personal morality is what the majority of them think is right at the time.

In the 1930s most Germans voted for the Nazis and the Nationalists. Hitler represented what most Germans' personal morality was for that period.

Religious morality however is set in stone in religious texts like the Bible, Torah and Koran regardless of public opinion
    Ah, I get it now. You don’t believe any of this guff you just write it for fun. Fair play.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Very interesting how , if correct, Putin's demands there don't even mention Dombass, which was supposed to have been the pretext for this whole conflict. His authority somewhere must be collapsing.
  • Options
    Liveuamap
    @Liveuamap
    ·
    1m
    President Zelensky signed an application of Ukraine to EU membership https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/28-february-president-zelensky-signed-an-application-of-ukraine #Ukraine

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1498327038830198787

Making the most of the opportunity that opened up last week.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Not bad.

Also...

I don't think any of that's unreasonable, tbh. Biden hasn't exactly inspired confidence in his determination to defend friendly regimes against aggressors. My wife, who has nothing but contempt for Trump, made the same point last night.
    OTOH, the one thing we are told that Biden is good at - and the way things have gone this last year makes me believe it - is building coalitions of allies. Hard to imagine the west would have worked so well together with Trump in charge.
    Thanks @Cookie I was taking a fast from posting but cheers for your comment. I see the usual suspects can't help themselves including the irrepressible @kinabalu and the flamboyant @TSE.

Still, far more importantly, like your wife, 62% of Americans think the same way, including 38% of Democrats:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10554157/62-Americans-think-Putin-WOULDNT-invaded-Ukraine-Trump-president-poll-claims.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

42% however do not.

Along with stoning gays, slavery and medieval food bans.

Give me atheism any day.

Of course most of those people who voted for Hitler in the 1930s were religious - Catholics, Lutherans and other Christian denominations. So their religious morality didn't exact shine through there did it?

Look to those who defied - both religious and irreligious - for personal morality. There is an innate sense of right and wrong irrespective of our upbringing and environment. It is what dragged us out of the mud long before religion came along.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,021

Those interests include:

We should grab at this, even if it sticks in the throat. It’s close to what I’ve been proposing since this kicked off.

Ukraine to stay neutral and demilitarise; Crimea to be recognised as Russian.

I don’t know what denazification means, except the deposition of the Ukrainian government. But we can’t agree to that.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314

rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/AceJaceu/status/1498304502704787457

Turkish-built TB2s are putting in one hell of a shift. Very kind of the Russians to mark their vehicles up with a massive Z so that the drones know which ones to blow up.

I guess the assumption was that the Russian air force would be the one needing to do the distinguishing.

I don't know whether it's a reflection of Ukraine's success in the propaganda war more than reality, but the Russian air force seems like the weakest link of the Russian campaign to date.
    The problem they have, is that there’s not columns of Ukranian tanks and missile launchers running around.

The anti-tank weapons are handheld and invisible, the NATO anti-aircraft weapons not much bigger and easily hidden in cities.

The Russians sent missiles to UA military bases on Day 1, but haven’t really followed up. Rumour that they don’t have many of them! Russian fighter planes in Ukraine have been almost all shot out of the sky. Still no pictures of the two IL-76 transporters allegedly shot down a couple of days ago though, that might be ‘fog of war’. Pictures of paratroopers dropped in the freezing sea were rather indicative of the Russian ineptness.
    This does feel something like a re-run of the Russo-FInnish Winter War of 1939-40. Russians go expecting a walkover but prove disastrously unprepared. The defenders adopt hit and run tactics, multiplying their force effectiveness and demoralizing the aggressors. It's stingers, drones and anti-tank missiles this time around, not ski-borne snipers, and Molotov cocktails (so-named if not invented by the Finns), but the chopping up of stuck columns is reminiscent of the Finnish motti

Of course the Finns were defeated in the end, losing a huge swathe of territory and resources, but they did keep their independence.

I don't know a lot of Finns but the ones I do know are very conscious of the Winter War and the courage and resourcefulness of their forces. Sadly, I don't suppose they'll ever get Karelia back.
    We own property in Finland and the tenant we inherited (now deceased) was a significant figure in the Finnish army during the winter war. He would never speak about his exploits but his family persuaded him to write down his story, which they self-published. It is in places quite astonishing. An interesting echo of the current war is that the Russians they captured were often from far flung parts and had little idea of where they actually were.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

42% however do not.

I can't think of a more nebulous construct than "morality". Nonetheless "morality is just simply the view of the majority of public opinion at the time" must be just plain wrong. If public opinion is immoral (e.g. support in WW2 Germany for anti-Semitism) it is by definition not moral.

I am not religious but I see the ten commandments as a pretty reasonable moral code. TV Evangelists or Catholic Priests espousing the ten commandments but ignoring a handful when it suits them is not "religious morality".
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,957
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Not bad.

Also...

Hey, but I didn't crib!
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,595
    rcs1000 said:

Those interests include:

I could see Crimea being ceded too.

But ultimately (2) is a complete non-starter.
    It is extraordinary that it doesn't occur to the old madman that other countries have their own legitimate security interests too.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

dixiedean said:

Dixiedean:

In case you've missed it, my attitude to NIMBYs is long-established. I have as little respect for NIMBYs here as I do anywhere and they would if it were up to me get the exact same response as I'd give them elsewhere. Fuck NIMBYs.

However incentivising areas that get fracked is a very good idea, and is what the Americans have done very successfully.
    That’s easy - let local authorities rather than central government levy taxes on production. If everyone in your district gets a cheque instead of a council tax bill, people might suddenly be in favour of it.
    Trouble with this, is that knowing the average Local Authority, they'll waste the entire windfall on some ill thought-out scheme to invest in Dutch tulips, and end up demanding a council tax increase instead.

A better system would be that say 80% of the windfall was distributed as a council tax reduction (but in no way controlled by the council), and 20% went directly to the council budget. That would provide the right incentives all round, but prevent local councils from doing too much stupid stuff with the windfall. (This would be a better arrangement than all the S106 planning stuff too).

The irony with fracking is that there is virtually nothing for the nimby's to get excided about anyway - if it didn't need lots of planning consent etc, they would never even notice it happening - it's just that somehow the crusties have convinced the world fracking will result in the four horsemen of the apocalypse appearing on the street.
    The number of earthquakes around Blackpool suggests that your idea people won't notice isn't true.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,306
    edited February 2022

Very interesting how , if correct, Putin's demands there don't even mention Dombass, which was supposed to have been the pretext for this whole conflict. His authority somewhere must be collapsing.

They're recognised as independent states by Russia. I assume the omission is because Russia considers it's troops there to not be on Ukranian (Nor Russian) soil, therefore there is nothing to discuss regarding these territories between Russia and Ukraine - that would be a matter between LPR, DPR and Ukraine.... ; whereas Crimea is, in Russia's facts part of Russia.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Those interests include:

We should grab at this, even if it sticks in the throat. It’s close to what I’ve been proposing since this kicked off.

I don’t know what denazification means, except the deposition of the Ukrainian government. But we can’t agree to that.
    It's all OK except the demilitarisation and "denazification" bit, whatever that's means. He's going to have stick that, because the Ukrainians would never accept it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,673
    eek said:

moonshine said:

Those interests include:

Number 1 they can give as that’s defacto anyway.

Number 3 is a paper promise.

Number 2 is the tricky 1. They can’t forfeit their army. And there’s no reason why the “Nazi in Chief” should resign as President. A promise not to host foreign military assets but then beef up their own capability perhaps.

Hopefully room for a compromise in there somewhere.
    Number 2 is impossible - it's merely there to ensure the next time Putin needs a story at home he can walk into the Ukraine without resistance.

And it's hard to understand what is meant by denazification of a country that doesn't have the Nazi party in power.
    In Putinland, Nazi = anyone who doesn't like Putin.

Which does put us in the uncomfortable position of being Nazis. I'm not sure that allows me to stay a member of the Conservative Party....?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,890
    So on my shortlist of places to go come the apocalypse, the Vineyard in East Kent is maybe an option. There's a caravan there and running water. Not so good if there are gentle Westerlies blowing though.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127
    edited February 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

dixiedean said:

Dixiedean:

The question is not really about where the vast majority of electricity generation should come from - and that is renewables.

It is how do we deal with times when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing?

At that time you need backups - and natural gas is clearly the best choice. It is energy dense. It can be powered up (or down) very quickly at times of need. It is relatively unpolluting. And one can store several months of usage, should you so desire.
    I think that transition can be made quite short. There is a need for Russian gas right now because we're not there yet on renewables but within I suspect two or three years the combination of more renewables, better efficiency, more LNG supplies and storage, Europe can supply all its gas needs with existing supplies (North Sea, LNG, Algeria etc) without requiring Russia and prices will start coming down on the overall energy mix.

So we have a gap of a couple of years. I would suggest filling it with coal, at least for energy security where you may not need to burn it at all. Cheap to store, requires little capital investment.
  • Options

Those interests include:

Nothing to do with us whether Ukraine wants to be neutral or renounce it’s claim Crimea on. However it is our job to support Ukraine in not agreeing to do such things under duress with a gun to its head.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

How long would it take for us or the Germans to get other measures in place for next winter to ensure security of supply? LNG is going to be in short supply for delivery, and you can't just build coal plants or enough renewables that quickly. In the case of Germany, they'll have to build terminals - how long would that take?

Whatever, I cannot see many countries taking much gas from Germany in the medium term unless te terms are *very* good. You don't want them to just switch off the tap.
    You don't need terminals in Germany - there's plenty of European LNG import terminal capacity, and there are pan-European pipe networks.

The bottlenecks are two-fold: one, drilling in the US collapsed during the pandemic, and while it is recovering, there are long leads and lags; two, there aren't enough LNG vessels, and day rates have really spiked (above $200k/day).

The first of these is being addressed - North American horizontal rig count has risen from 234 a year ago to 593 today, and will no doubt get into the 800s by the middle of the year.

The second is a longer term issue. Ships simply can't be built that quickly.

While the retired German nuclear plants were old, maintenance heavy, and had poor uptime, they really should not have been retired.
This discussion has been closed.