Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In the betting, the money goes on Putin surviving – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,041
    edited February 2022
    TOPPING said:

I think what is coming out of this whole episode is that as the West has sowed, now is it reaping. For 30 years the West defined the world order. Someone out of line? Invade, depose, install a favourable regime. That was realpolitik. No one could or wanted to do anything about it.

I noticed @HYUFD getting a lot of stick on here last night when he was one of the few people who made sense. Yes indeed we are in a world of realpolitik when Russia as is can shout the odds and people have no choice but to listen. This is what the West has done since Desert Storm (and of course before).

So is Putin a madman? Was George W Bush? Was Obama? Perhaps. Each had a vision of a world order which had certain components and wherein actors behaved as they ought to have done and that vision was enforced by force if not voluntarily. And it's Putin's turn now.

Indeed, though Desert Storm was at least supported by a UN Security Council Resolution which George HW Bush got to his credit after Saddam invaded Kuwait, unlike Iraq 2003 or the Russian invasion of Ukraine now.

The Afghanistan war of 2001 was arguably self defence post 9/11, at least in terms of getting Bin Laden (albeit it was Obama who ultimately got him), so therefore justified under the UN Charter.

• CookieCookie Posts: 13,030
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Stupid British media at it again, trying to find dividing lines over asylum policy, UK/EU relations and party funding.

There’s a bloody war on, please can they leave their pet obsessions aside for a few days, and let the politicians concentrate on what’s actually important at the moment?

Quite right, let HMG get on with concentrating on the important stuff.

Naked self-promotion on the back of this is very yucky indeed. Stop it Liz.
    Are you sure this was a recent pic?
    It is an old pic, where old in the context of Ukraine means it was taken more than a week ago.

(Snip)
    In which case, Kinbalu should perhaps apologise...
    Please look at this and consider whether @kinabalu has the vaguest hint of a point here

https://twitter.com/crackerjackpen/status/1497889292336578565/photo/1
    No, he really doesn't. Kinbalu was the one making a political point out of an out-of-context picture. At best, he jumped to an assumption.
    The assumption being: if you have a woman in her 50s who is a pretentious posing airhead in Oct 2021 she is probably no different in feb 2022. seems fair.
    Liz Truss is 46.
    Just verified that and found she was at my college at Oxford. A bad morning.
    She looked younger than her age until about 5 years ago. Must be a tough job being in cabinet.
    She's the same age as me.
    Most people I know have aged rather more than one might hope in the last five years! I note Liz Truss has two daughters - I have three, and I look a lot older than I did half a decade ago. (My girls see photos of me from before they were born and are puzzled at why my hair is black).
    I'd say Liz Truss is in pretty good nick. Though having a good photographer presumably helps!
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Stupid British media at it again, trying to find dividing lines over asylum policy, UK/EU relations and party funding.

There’s a bloody war on, please can they leave their pet obsessions aside for a few days, and let the politicians concentrate on what’s actually important at the moment?

It is an old pic, where old in the context of Ukraine means it was taken more than a week ago.

(Snip)
    Please look at this and consider whether @kinabalu has the vaguest hint of a point here

No, he really doesn't. Kinbalu was the one making a political point out of an out-of-context picture. At best, he jumped to an assumption.
    The assumption being: if you have a woman in her 50s who is a pretentious posing airhead in Oct 2021 she is probably no different in feb 2022. seems fair.
    It isn't. Kinbalu linked that photo and made out she was taking advantage of the current situation. He was wrong.

Still, I guess I'm going to get piled-on here, so I'll leave it at that.
    And I linked to a very similar photo showing that he is without a shadow of a doubt right.
    He wasn't; not in relation to that photo. And even with the photo you repeatedly linked to (do you have a fetish?), so blooming what?
    The point about it is that it is pointless. In the october one she is at least *doing* something related to her job. The one from last week isn't even dressed up with an excuse that say she is having a presser with a Ukr bod which would be a reason for the two flags. It is simply time wasting Instagramming. Your position is pretty much on a par with demanding someone apologise to Harold Shipman's family for saying he killed 234 people when the actual count is 233

When we see tories riding to the defence of a verray parfit blonde in battledress I think it is reasonably clear where the fetish lies.
    The Foreign Secretary of the UK expressing support for our Ukrainian friends and allies while they're being invaded is not a waste of time.

But if your objection is simply to people using Instagram then you just sound like a bitter and twisted old man banging on about young people of today going on television and not just the radio.

The issue is in your head, not a problem with her.
    Sure.
    Look, we should accept that the Truss of a few months ago is not the Truss of today, and a vile deception has been enacted by reproducing a self promoting photo that Fizzy Lizzy pumped out for public consumption in a different world.

After all we are all Ukies now.

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,428
    eek said:

eek said:

Snip...

As with many previous cases it's possible that Volodymyr Zelenskyy has created a future Ukraine that until last Thursday never actually existed.

I wonder whether, to a lesser extent, the same might be true for the EU.

Of course, their not fighting Russia, but they're facing an external threat together, and the details of national interests are being reduced by the pressure of events.
    I suspect a lot of that is the sudden realisation by Germany that the world isn't working the way they thought it is.

Mind you I do look at German energy policy and think WTF have you been thinking - there are obvious flaws here that make no sense..
    The question is whether, after the crisis, the temptation to snap back to East Politics will win out.

I think that is a 50/50 at the moment. It depends how bad this gets....
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664

Leon said:

eek said:

If you read the long twitter thread about how Russia will lose the war https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497993363076915204 when it was first linked here you may have missed the very last part (I've only just found it).

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498079039696814083

And finally. The very fact of resistance against so much superior enemy very much empowers the Ukrainian mythology. It's enormous mythos building we are witnessing. The very phenomenon of war is inconceivable without taking into account mythological dimension

Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Replying to
    @kamilkazani
    Consider Venice. When Napoleon came they surrendered without a shot. Very smart, saved lives, saved the city. It's just killed the mythos of Venice. People lived but the Republic died. It was never restored and is unlikely to be restored again
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Theorists of war of the bygone age understood it. Clausewitz pointed out that it's important not only if you lost independence but *how* you lost it. If you submitted without a fight, you saved lives. But you killed your mythos. You'll be digested by the conqueror
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    But if you lost after the brutal and bloody fight your mythos is alive. The memory of the last battle will live through the ages. It will shape the mythological space your descendants live in and they'll attempt to restore independence at the first opportunity. End of thread

As with many previous cases it's possible that Volodymyr Zelenskyy has created a future Ukraine that until last Thursday never actually existed.

Definitely true.

Ask Australians when and where Australia was born. They say: the beaches of Gallipoli. A battle which has become this huge mythological event in their minds, the bloody birth of an independent nation, no longer just a British colony

You can see it in the huge moving memorial to the Gallipoli dead in Sydney. It is ground zero of “Australian-ness”. It edges close to kitsch Fascism without, thankfully, crossing over
    The Falklands was a bit similar. I remember it vividly. All sorts of sensible folk told Mrs Thatcher not to send the task force. Too risky. And, for what? A few farmers and a few sheep. Just negotiate a face-saving deal. Let's be grown up about it. The empire is dead. Etc etc.

Fortunately she, and many in the military, took a different line. "What kind of a country are we?" And the Navy, instinctively (apparently it's the least "intellectual" of the services), always heads straight towards the foe. I think they were quite persuasive despite the risks they were taking with men and materiel.

Rest is history.

(Of course, there will have been some political calculation but then, there always is.)
    I remember at the time thinking “another chapter in the continuing decline of the West” - less than 7 years after the fall of Saigon - but it took Thatcher - as you observe - against a lot of the chattering classes to say enough!! I also recall the slightly condescending Time magazine cover of the task force with the headline “The Empire Strikes Back”.
    It didn't do much for the coherence of the west in the long-run, however.
    Eh?

I did everything for the coherence of the West.

Seven years later the Berlin Wall came tumbling down.
  • biggles said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)
    and to trigger some more people

His "Groupe de ravitaillement en vol 2/91 Bretagne" patch is very much on the piss. That's the real crime here.
    I’m just surprised they could find one with short enough legs.
    Churchill was a bit shorter, don't forget. Heightism is one of those last acceptable prejuduces.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,508
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

I think what is coming out of this whole episode is that as the West has sowed, now is it reaping. For 30 years the West defined the world order. Someone out of line? Invade, depose, install a favourable regime. That was realpolitik. No one could or wanted to do anything about it.

I noticed @HYUFD getting a lot of stick on here last night when he was one of the few people who made sense. Yes indeed we are in a world of realpolitik when Russia as is can shout the odds and people have no choice but to listen. This is what the West has done since Desert Storm (and of course before).

So is Putin a madman? Was George W Bush? Was Obama? Perhaps. Each had a vision of a world order which had certain components and wherein actors behaved as they ought to have done and that vision was enforced by force if not voluntarily. And it's Putin's turn now.

Indeed, though Desert Storm was at least supported by a UN Security Council Resolution unlike Iraq 2003 or the Russian invasion of Ukraine now
    That is true absolutely. It helps but is not necessary.
  • biggles said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

His "Groupe de ravitaillement en vol 2/91 Bretagne" patch is very much on the piss. That's the real crime here.
    That's enough heightism! Macron is in any case taller than Thatcher and Churchill, though not Thatcher on Churchill's shoulders, and about the same height as our own beloved Boris.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

Patrick Wintour
    @patrickwintour
    ·
    15m
    Jerusalem Post: "Roman Abramovich in Belarus assisting in Ukraine-Russia talks at Kyiv's request".

At Kyiv's request????
    International Jewry, doh.

• IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

QTWAIN.

What's wrong with that photo in your eyes?
    If you have to ask you are never going to understand.
    Certainly won't understand why you've posted the same image many times on this thread.

Foreign Secretary of the UK photographed with UK and Ukraine flags . . . oh my the horror. You must be traumatised ...
    OK just to calibrate your position here's a different lnik

Do you own the original or a full size reproduction of

https://twitter.com/talkradio/status/1060927987200245760
    Do you actually think a photo of the Foreign Secretary of the UK stood in front of the UK and Ukraine flags while we're allied with Ukraine during a war is remotely comparable to a kitsch fanfic painting of the then PM flying through the air riding a lion?
    I think it triggers the same dopamine receptors in your head
    Just no.

Its only you that seems to be triggered by the Foreign Secretary of the UK expressing support for our Ukrainian friends and allies via a photograph.

I wonder why? 🤔
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

eek said:

If you read the long twitter thread about how Russia will lose the war https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497993363076915204 when it was first linked here you may have missed the very last part (I've only just found it).

And finally. The very fact of resistance against so much superior enemy very much empowers the Ukrainian mythology. It's enormous mythos building we are witnessing. The very phenomenon of war is inconceivable without taking into account mythological dimension

Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Replying to
    @kamilkazani
    Consider Venice. When Napoleon came they surrendered without a shot. Very smart, saved lives, saved the city. It's just killed the mythos of Venice. People lived but the Republic died. It was never restored and is unlikely to be restored again
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Theorists of war of the bygone age understood it. Clausewitz pointed out that it's important not only if you lost independence but *how* you lost it. If you submitted without a fight, you saved lives. But you killed your mythos. You'll be digested by the conqueror
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    But if you lost after the brutal and bloody fight your mythos is alive. The memory of the last battle will live through the ages. It will shape the mythological space your descendants live in and they'll attempt to restore independence at the first opportunity. End of thread

Definitely true.

Ask Australians when and where Australia was born. They say: the beaches of Gallipoli. A battle which has become this huge mythological event in their minds, the bloody birth of an independent nation, no longer just a British colony

You can see it in the huge moving memorial to the Gallipoli dead in Sydney. It is ground zero of “Australian-ness”. It edges close to kitsch Fascism without, thankfully, crossing over
    The Falklands was a bit similar. I remember it vividly. All sorts of sensible folk told Mrs Thatcher not to send the task force. Too risky. And, for what? A few farmers and a few sheep. Just negotiate a face-saving deal. Let's be grown up about it. The empire is dead. Etc etc.

Fortunately she, and many in the military, took a different line. "What kind of a country are we?" And the Navy, instinctively (apparently it's the least "intellectual" of the services), always heads straight towards the foe. I think they were quite persuasive despite the risks they were taking with men and materiel.

Rest is history.

(Of course, there will have been some political calculation but then, there always is.)
    I remember at the time thinking “another chapter in the continuing decline of the West” - less than 7 years after the fall of Saigon - but it took Thatcher - as you observe - against a lot of the chattering classes to say enough!! I also recall the slightly condescending Time magazine cover of the task force with the headline “The Empire Strikes Back”.
    Eh?

I did everything for the coherence of the West.

Seven years later the Berlin Wall came tumbling down.
    Nothing remotely to do with the Falklands, though ; vast US military spending and Sovier post-Brezhnev decline and stasis.
    TOPPING said:

- George W Bush demonstrably fucked up and created a series of disasters for America and the world. To the point where you do have to ask "What the fuck, George?"

- Obama tried for limited, achievable goals - apart from carrying on the Afghan comedy.

- Putin has launched a war that he has fucked up. He has united the disunited against him. In a few days he has guaranteed that is gaol of a Ukraine (and Eastern Europe) that is subservient to Russia won't happen. He has achieved the opposite of a long series of gaols. Among other things, to turn Nord Stream 2 on will now require both the Americans and the Germans to agree. Not just the Germans. So it is quite likely that that is dead for ever now.....
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,472
    edited February 2022
    TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

When did the West invade a peaceful democracy in the past 30 years?

EDIT: As it happens anyway we are not in a world where people have no choice but to listen to Russia. Quite the opposite, we are in a world where we can say that what Russia has done is utterly unacceptable and to retaliate and put Russia back in their place.

Leon said:

eek said:

Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Replying to
    @kamilkazani
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h

Definitely true.

Rest is history.

I too remember it. But the write-up was not condescending, rather admiring I would say.

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

How much is $20bn a day for Russia? According to Wikipedia, Russia's GDP is about $1,600bn. So at this rate Russia burns through its entire GDP in under 100 days.
    Of course, its GDP will be negatively impacted by the war, so possibly rather sooner.
    I mean, I hope the war doesn't go on for 100 days - but it's an indication of the kind of pressure Russia is under to finish this.
    Remember also there will be other things it will be spending its money on besides war...

$20 billion a day seems unlikely. 20 billion roubles, maybe, and even then you'd wonder about marginal versus fixed costs. Russia would be paying soldiers' wages even if they had remained in their barracks, for instance.
    How much of their dollar reserves are they spending daily, to prop up their own currency on the international markets?

Even with interest rates lifted to 20%, there’s still a hundred roubles to the dollar today - if you can find someone willing to sell their dollars at anything close to the official rate.

It’ll be a good day for sellers of Western cars, gold, jewelery and electronics in Moscow today, with everyone desparate to swap their roubles for something of intrinsic global value.
    Why, if you had such valuable goods, want to exchange them for a worthless currency?
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

We really need Russian generals to turn on Putin.

I think they'll already be communicating with each other in some way off record, and with the oligarchs.
    I think this misunderstands the oligarchs position. The deal is Putin allows them to rob Russia blind in exchange for complete political non involvement, on pain of polonium or 30 years in prison. They just aren't in any useful loop.
    Not much use if you can't enjoy the fruits of your robbery.
    Cash flow. the lesson from germany and zimbabwe and taking a wheelbarrow full of money to buy 1/2 dozen eggs is the resilience/irreplaceability of cash as a medium of exchange. You cannot sustainably barter jewellery and cars for eggs.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Friend of mine finally found a bunch of British pro-Putin, pro-Russian-army, “fuck Ukraine” types on Twitter - spoiling for an argument

They were all rabid Scot Nats. Hate NATO, apparently

The cheerleaders for the Kremlin are an extremely motley crew, from Fox News to Ultra Scot Nats to Farageists and Stop the War. And one of my parents.

I’m not sure I can recall an alliance like it

I think those ‘rabid Scots Nats’ are almost entirely Albanians and supporters of Salmond (an individual for whom you were a Pom Pom girl a year ago)? Presumably you’d have shared some common ground over their pro Putin stance only a couple of months ago.
    Anti-NATO sentiment is quite mainstream within the SNP. Their official policy for many years was to withdraw from NATO, only changing it before IndyRef2 when they realised it was polling very badly and was a drag on their chances. Angus Robertson, who presided over the U-turn, took a lot of stick at the time.
    Is or was? The past is another country.

I'm old enough to remember when the SCons were a strongly pro EU party (or sub branch as the case may be).
    Oh, still "is" for quite a few.

Linked to that is the policy to throw out Trident and wax lyrical about the immorality of possessing nuclear weapons. Despite NATO being an explicitly nuclear alliance. Of course, you don't have to have nukes to be in NATO, but stripping one of its three members to possess them of their capacity is rather problematic in a NATO context. Would go down extremely badly with US so almost certainly an IndyScot would wriggle out of it if it came to it, but all the same.
    For someone who regularly states indy ref II is dead, you certainly manage to regurgitate a lot of PF II stuff.

Gonnae love seeing all those yeahbutnobutyeah the EU is eevul types working out which way to jump on Ukraine being fast tracked into the EU.
    Unless all Russian troops have left Ukrainian soil and/or Putin has been toppled as President of Russia, Ukraine is not going into the EU, NATO or any other block as it will still have much of its territory occupied by Russia.

If Kyiv falls to Putin's troops that will be even more the case
    Point of Order.

Would that not be Indyref III, since they have already had two goes and lost both?

If you want to find some genuine Scottish cavemen, log on to any comments thread at the National.
    There have been some weird kinks on PB, but some bloke in the English sticks logging on to comments threads at The National is right up there.
    Not at all, no different to someone perusing the Mail or the Guardian or ConHome to look at the comments.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Friend of mine finally found a bunch of British pro-Putin, pro-Russian-army, “fuck Ukraine” types on Twitter - spoiling for an argument

The cheerleaders for the Kremlin are an extremely motley crew, from Fox News to Ultra Scot Nats to Farageists and Stop the War. And one of my parents.

I think those ‘rabid Scots Nats’ are almost entirely Albanians and supporters of Salmond (an individual for whom you were a Pom Pom girl a year ago)? Presumably you’d have shared some common ground over their pro Putin stance only a couple of months ago.
    Anti-NATO sentiment is quite mainstream within the SNP. Their official policy for many years was to withdraw from NATO, only changing it before IndyRef2 when they realised it was polling very badly and was a drag on their chances. Angus Robertson, who presided over the U-turn, took a lot of stick at the time.

I'm old enough to remember when the SCons were a strongly pro EU party (or sub branch as the case may be).

Linked to that is the policy to throw out Trident and wax lyrical about the immorality of possessing nuclear weapons. Despite NATO being an explicitly nuclear alliance. Of course, you don't have to have nukes to be in NATO, but stripping one of its three members to possess them of their capacity is rather problematic in a NATO context. Would go down extremely badly with US so almost certainly an IndyScot would wriggle out of it if it came to it, but all the same.
    For someone who regularly states indy ref II is dead, you certainly manage to regurgitate a lot of PF II stuff.

Gonnae love seeing all those yeahbutnobutyeah the EU is eevul types working out which way to jump on Ukraine being fast tracked into the EU.
    Unless all Russian troops have left Ukrainian soil and/or Putin has been toppled as President of Russia, Ukraine is not going into the EU, NATO or any other block as it will still have much of its territory occupied by Russia.

If Kyiv falls to Putin's troops that will be even more the case
    I think you are right, but it's why the demands about NATO membership being rejected were nonsensical. Putin had what he wanted without further invasion.

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

Leon said:

You don't appear to be answering the point.

"yeahbutnobutyeah" seems to be the prevailing line with ScotNats since the economic case for Indy collapsed.

And, yes, I do reckon IndyRef2 is dead, so all this is a bit beside the point TBH.
    Feel free to stop latching on to my posts to discuss (checks notes) IndyRef2 and IndyScot then.
    You get a good few unionist stalkers on here, mainly southern mind you.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

QTWAIN.

Certainly won't understand why you've posted the same image many times on this thread.

Foreign Secretary of the UK photographed with UK and Ukraine flags . . . oh my the horror. You must be traumatised ...

Do you actually think a photo of the Foreign Secretary of the UK stood in front of the UK and Ukraine flags while we're allied with Ukraine during a war is remotely comparable to a kitsch fanfic painting of the then PM flying through the air riding a lion?
    Just no.

Its only you that seems to be triggered by the Foreign Secretary of the UK expressing support for our Ukrainian friends and allies via a photograph.

I wonder why? 🤔
    I first read that as "Just so."

On reflection I am still reading it that way.
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Replying to
    @kamilkazani
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h

Definitely true.

Rest is history.

I too remember it. But the write-up was not condescending, rather admiring I would say.

There was a funny writeup on the article published by the Russian military in a journal out of Frunze about the Falklands - I'll have to find it.

The logistics for that made a deep impression on them IIRC. Also naval aviation vs missiles.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Nigelb said:

Aid to the 'nazi regime' in Ukraine.

A delegation of Israeli doctors has already been dispatched and is on its way to Ukraine
    https://twitter.com/YoniMichanie/status/1498055304726167554

Is that a euphemism for Mossad agents?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,779
    Fuckers.

Yes a lot of civilian footage now confirming this - Russia did just carpet bomb a district in Kharkiv. I am shaking
    https://twitter.com/juliaskripkaser/status/1498254899792027653

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

The point is she is a stupid preening waste of space. I would not trust her to run a bath.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

A delegation of Israeli doctors has already been dispatched and is on its way to Ukraine

They are very young, chunky and fit looking doctors for sure.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

QTWAIN.

You could have stopped at DOPE
    edited February 2022

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

EDIT: As it happens anyway we are not in a world where people have no choice but to listen to Russia. Quite the opposite, we are in a world where we can say that what Russia has done is utterly unacceptable and to retaliate and put Russia back in their place.
    Democracy? Why is that a criterion and says who.

The West has invaded countries because it has disagreed with the way they have been run. For the past 30 years. And now Russia is doing the same.

Edit: and as for putting Russia back in its place I'm sure we will try to do that. What place is that though. You sound like an end of history guy. The world order is changing and you evidently can't accept that.

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

Minor proviso: as long as we have Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631
    TOPPING said:

Utter rubbish. You’re suggesting moral equivalence where there is none. This is an invasion with the intent to conquer and absorb another country.
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

How much is $20bn a day for Russia? According to Wikipedia, Russia's GDP is about $1,600bn. So at this rate Russia burns through its entire GDP in under 100 days.
    Of course, its GDP will be negatively impacted by the war, so possibly rather sooner.
    I mean, I hope the war doesn't go on for 100 days - but it's an indication of the kind of pressure Russia is under to finish this.
    Remember also there will be other things it will be spending its money on besides war...

$20 billion a day seems unlikely. 20 billion roubles, maybe, and even then you'd wonder about marginal versus fixed costs. Russia would be paying soldiers' wages even if they had remained in their barracks, for instance.
    How much of their dollar reserves are they spending daily, to prop up their own currency on the international markets?

Even with interest rates lifted to 20%, there’s still a hundred roubles to the dollar today - if you can find someone willing to sell their dollars at anything close to the official rate.

It’ll be a good day for sellers of Western cars, gold, jewelery and electronics in Moscow today, with everyone desparate to swap their roubles for something of intrinsic global value.
    Why, if you had such valuable goods, want to exchange them for a worthless currency?
    {Hugo Stinnes, Inflationskönig, has entered the chat}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Stinnes

Leon said:

eek said:

Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Replying to
    @kamilkazani
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h

Definitely true.

Rest is history.

Bring out the pictures of spitfire's, polish Welington's boots , it is back to past glories time.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Were they going to play tennis?
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

Liz Truss is 46.
    Just verified that and found she was at my college at Oxford. A bad morning.
    She looked younger than her age until about 5 years ago. Must be a tough job being in cabinet.
    It is all the partying and wining and dining they do, not work for sure.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,363
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:

Fuckers.

Yes a lot of civilian footage now confirming this - Russia did just carpet bomb a district in Kharkiv. I am shaking
    https://twitter.com/juliaskripkaser/status/1498254899792027653

There's a disturbing video below that tweet which I wish I hadn't looked at. **** Putin.
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

Liz Truss is 46.
    Must have been a very very hard paper round
  • Tass news agency has been hacked
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    Roger said:

Roger said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

It isn't. That image is from 2021. I'd guess taken by the Daily Mail photographer during the HMS Queen Elizabeth World Tour.
    You're tight. He should have tried to put a stop to her two years ago
    Yeah, we all know your view. Any woman should just put up to being abused by the 'talent', or become hairdressers. How *dare* a woman become prominent in her own right?

Those comments never aged well, did they Rog? Given what happened in your industry.

Your (and Kinbalu's) attitude might also explain why Labour's never elected a female leader.
    For you who have turned virtue signalling into an art form.....you can bore the pants off the BBC complaints department for years with this one ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0014qdv

Hang on, saying women should be able to work in an industry without being felt up by the 'talent' is not 'virtue signalling'.

Sad you think it is.

Do you have a daughter? If so, how would you feel if she was treated in that manner?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    TOPPING said:

I don't know if you're thinking about the perception of what used to be called the 3rd world but I think equating Obama with Putin is madness. Did he sometimes use force unnecessarily? Perhaps. If people want to compare Zelensky to Saddam Hussein or the Taliban fine. But values do matter to some people.

biggles said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

Churchill was a bit shorter, don't forget. Heightism is one of those last acceptable prejuduces.
    Sad to say that short people do get picked on a lot. They are frequently overlooked.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,472
    edited February 2022
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

The West has invaded countries because it has disagreed with the way they have been run. For the past 30 years. And now Russia is doing the same.

Edit: and as for putting Russia back in its place I'm sure we will try to do that. What place is that though. You sound like an end of history guy. The world order is changing and you evidently can't accept that.
    I say it is a criterion, its my post you're responding to. As to why - because democracies give people a peaceful way to resolve their differences with ballots instead of bullets. Dictatorships generally only change course when someone compels them to do so and that typically requires some sort of force.

Invading a peaceful democracy and invading a dictatorship are two completely different things.

What place is Russia's? Its a relatively minor country living off past glories, with an economy that is worse than Italy's and negligible power in the world. It is a bit player at best going forwards.

The world is indeed changing, but it is Putin that objects to that not me. Our long-term threat in the East is and remains China and not Russia.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

The difference is between what is a blatant war of aggression - recognised as a war crime in international law - against what (largely) weren't.

I'll grant you that Iraq 2003 was fought on what turned out to be a lie - which is why it's seen as a disastrous mistake by large sections of the electorates in the countries who fought it.
    But even that had some sort of threadbare UN cover at the time.

And it does not justify today's war crimes.
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

Sad to say that short people do get picked on a lot. They are frequently overlooked.
    It is a lofty aspiration to end that.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

QTWAIN.

Just no.

I wonder why? 🤔
    You dunderheid, she was self promoting only.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Russian nuclear alert Truss's fault says Kremlin:
    MOSCOW. Feb 28 (Interfax) - Russian President Vladimir Putin decided to put the deterrence forces on high alert, in particular, after the statements made by the British foreign secretary, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov says

https://twitter.com/DominicWaghorn/status/1498260827807404033
  • Mr. Biggles, you should be ashamed of yourself, looking down on people.

Tass news agency has been hacked

Confirmation:

"@SkyNews
    BREAKING NEWS: The website of Russia's state news agency TASS is believed to have been hacked and is now displaying anti-war messages, according to Reuters."

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1498261141100843008
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

The difference is between what is a blatant war of aggression - recognised as a war crime in international law - against what (largely) weren't.

I'll grant you that Iraq 2003 was fought on what turned out to be a lie - which is why it's seen as a disastrous mistake by large sections of the electorates in the countries who fought it.

Is Iraq a democracy today? I think Iraq was a mistake, but 20 years later it's probably in a better place.

If Russia gets its way, Ukraine won't exist.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,739
    Scott_xP said:

MOSCOW. Feb 28 (Interfax) - Russian President Vladimir Putin decided to put the deterrence forces on high alert, in particular, after the statements made by the British foreign secretary, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov says

Of al the shitty excuses that have been trotted out by all sides so far, "Liz Truss made me do it" is the poorest by a long shot.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

I say it is a criterion, its my post you're responding to. As to why - because democracies give people a peaceful way to resolve their differences with ballots instead of bullets. Dictatorships generally only change course when someone compels them to do so and that typically requires some sort of force.

Invading a peaceful democracy and invading a dictatorship are two completely different things.....
    In international law, that's not really the case.
    A war of aggression is a war of aggression.

Of course it's far more likely that the circumstances (eg a UN resolution authorising force) to justify a war are going to exist in the case of a dictatorship. But the mere fact of a dictatorship in no way justifies an invasion.
    biggles said:

TOPPING said:

Utter rubbish. You’re suggesting moral equivalence where there is none. This is an invasion with the intent to conquer and absorb another country.
    Morality has nothing to do with it. Where were the weapons of mass destruction; we decided we wanted to depose Saddam (and others) and we did. And everyone else looked on.
  • Sky and BBC now talking about a report on climate change

Not sure anyone will be listening when Putin is threatening a nuclear war
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

Says us. Unless you are saying that dictatorship is a good thing then the right of self determination as expressed through free and fair elections is something that we should be willing to fight for.

I am truly staggered that you could even ask the question as to why dictatorships are bad from your safe comfy chair in England whilst a Russian dictator is proving exactly what is wrong with it for all the world to see.

At least PJohnson had the decency to try and pretend he was on the side of Ukraine.
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

Is Iraq a democracy today? I think Iraq was a mistake, but 20 years later it's probably in a better place.

Of course.

But we were discussing the legality or otherwise of waging war.
  • TOPPING said:

biggles said:

TOPPING said:

Morality has nothing to do with it. Where were the weapons of mass destruction; we decided we wanted to depose Saddam (and others) and we did. And everyone else looked on.
    And we were right to do so. 👍

Zelenskyy is not Saddam. Ukraine is not Iraq. Russia is not the USA or even the UK.
  • fox327fox327 Posts: 367
    edited February 2022
    OT. Putin surviving as President of Russia can only happen if there isn't a full scale nuclear apocalypse. If there is all out nuclear war there will be no Russian state left for him to be the President of.
  • fox327 said:

OT. Putin surviving as President of Russia can only happen if there isn't a full scale nuclear apocalypse. If there is all out nuclear war there will be no Russian state left for him to be the President of.

If there is all out nuclear war then how long will it take Smarkets to pay out though?
  • Sky and BBC now talking about a report on climate change

Well to be fair a nuclear war would probably cause at least a smidgen of climate change.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

Of course.

Presumably the UN wouldn't pass a resolution authorising Western powers to liberate Ukraine.

But it would be entirely justified, even if the calculation is that we shouldn't do it.

Scott_xP said:

Of al the shitty excuses that have been trotted out by all sides so far, "Liz Truss made me do it" is the poorest by a long shot.
    Well, hang on, she is Foreign Secretary of a nuclear power, much as we might all wish otherwise. Are you saying that foreign powers should ignore anything she says and treat her as strictly ornamental?

it would help if they identified the precise bit of arse-gravy from her mouth that triggered them, so we'll know next time
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,030

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

{Hugo Stinnes, Inflationskönig, has entered the chat}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Stinnes
    Interesting link. Not least for the fact that Herr Stinnes has what I would describe as bog-brush hair a la Barry Chuckle. Which I have never come across outside either the UK or the last 60 years.
  • Scott_xP said:

Well yes, but Putin's regime has clearly identified The Truss and the photo-shoot stuff as the weakest link and has decided to feed the narrative. We should never have got ourselves into the position to allow them to do this.
    These hackers are doing a great job.

"Anonymous
    @LatestAnonPress
    #TangoDown: Ministry of Communications and Informatization of the Republic of Belarus.
    http://mpt.gov.by
    #TangoDown: State Authority for Military Industry of the Republic of Belarus
    http://vpk.gov.by
    #TangoDown: Belarus Military
    http://mil.by"

https://twitter.com/LatestAnonPress/status/1498251595448037376
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,282
    Parts of Kharkiv starting to look like post-1945 Berlin now. Grim

https://twitter.com/krolioness/status/1498264482237362180?s=20&t=2kR0pI2jbJRlro-fkWgWeg
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Wait, I thought the "grim reality" was that this war was all being decided by Washington and the Berlin/Paris axis, but it turns out our own dear Cos-play Liz has personally brought us closer to Armageddon?

Yay! Go us

Next: TASS reveals Putin has ordered a nuclear strike on the entire continent of Europe after being called a "pussy" by an anonymous dildo knapper in a political betting website run by a balding Lib Dem from Bedford
    It's reassuring to know that HER BRITTANIC MAJESTY'S UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND (weather permitting) NORTHERN IRELAND is still so influential.
    fox327 said:

Ending with a preposition. Tut.

edited February 2022

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

Says us. Unless you are saying that dictatorship is a good thing then the right of self determination as expressed through free and fair elections is something that we should be willing to fight for.

I am truly staggered that you could even ask the question as to why dictatorships are bad from your safe comfy chair in England whilst a Russian dictator is proving exactly what is wrong with it for all the world to see.

At least PJohnson had the decency to try and pretend he was on the side of Ukraine.
    Topping seems to be taking the position that a past wrong might justify a current crime - against a country which had no part in it.
    It is a ridiculous and morally despicable position.

He has some sort of point about the legality or otherwise of invading other countries, but he's making an extremely poor case for it.
  • Leon said:

eek said:

Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Replying to
    @kamilkazani
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h
    Kamil Galeev
    @kamilkazani
    ·
    11h

Definitely true.

Rest is history.

The Iron Curtain fell less than a decade later.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,739
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Wait, I thought the "grim reality" was that this war was all being decided by Washington and the Berlin/Paris axis, but it turns out our own dear Cos-play Liz has personally brought us closer to Armageddon?

Yay! Go us

Next: TASS reveals Putin has ordered a nuclear strike on the entire continent of Europe after being called a "pussy" by an anonymous dildo knapper in a political betting website run by a balding Lib Dem from Bedford
    As the melted me won't get a chance post apocalypse, can I just say: "You bastard!!"
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

Sky and BBC now talking about a report on climate change

Well to be fair a nuclear war would probably cause at least a smidgen of climate change.
    It'd have a cooling effect on global temperature iirc.

Scott_xP said:

I did not realise that Sunak's leadership campaign was so extensively organised. Ambitious guy.
    liz's campaign. This will massively boost her with the membership.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited February 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, hang on, she is Foreign Secretary of a nuclear power, much as we might all wish otherwise. Are you saying that foreign powers should ignore anything she says and treat her as strictly ornamental?

it would help if they identified the precise bit of arse-gravy from her mouth that triggered them, so we'll know next time
    We are a nuclear power indeed. More seriously that could damage Britain's popularity a bit in this conflict so far. A fine line between redoubtable ally and too gung-ho.

Not that I think it's in reality anything even remotely approaching a main reason, ofcourse. Lavrov seems to have a particularly gleeful hatred of Truss, so he would probably wants to see her squirm a bit.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited February 2022

Given how eco-bonkers Sky News has gone in the past couple of years, I am surprised they are doing special reports on just how bad for the environment war is....all those terrible emissions from tank engines and alike.

The "grilling" of Ben Wallace on there was another example of high quality journalism....he was asked 2-3 times if the UK had sent arms to Ukraine during the conflict, to which they were told, yes, but I can't tell you what or how for obvious reason...well why not, he was asked....then asked why haven't we been arming the Ukrainian to the teeth since 2014...erhh 1) because Russia would argue that was a NATO aggression and 2) Previous Ukrainian leader was bent as a nine bob note (and there is widespread corruption there) and we only have to look at history to see how this has gone backfired on numerous occasions for the West when they have decided to iffy arm regimes against enemies.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

What has any of this to do with the price of fish? You sound like the Soviets deflecting criticism with "In America they lynch negroes".

Realpolitik means that the current Russian government should pay a high price for launching an unprovoked attack on Ukraine. For once, doing what is right matches doing what is expedient.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    edited February 2022

A nuclear war is certainly one form of Climate Change.
    Edit. Beaten to it.

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Utterly offtopic but not posted yet

https://interestingengineering.com/energy-company-plans-geothermal-energy?presentid=webnews

A new renewable energy source is being tested - drill 8 miles down and use the geothermal heat.

I saw the Cornish experiment in the mid-80s - Camborne School of Mines Hot Dry Rock Geothermal Project in the Carnmenellis granite. I believe the Eden Project is involved in experiments that way. But this new thing sounds much deeper.
    There's actually a working geothermal heating system in the middle of Southampton.

"By 2007, the system had 11 km (6.8 miles) of pipes, and was producing 40 GWh of heat, 22 GWh of electricity and 8 GWh of cooling per year."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_District_Energy_Scheme
    The biggest problem with deep geothermal has been the cost of drilling the hole. These guys are claiming to have a novel, cheap method for that. I am a bit skeptical.....
    From the deep, dark recesses of my mind, another issue is that unless carefully planned, they get less efficient as the extraction of hot water cools the surrounding rock faster than the heat can be replenished. Basically, you keep on needing to drill to 'get' heat into the system.

Don't know why that's different in Southampton. I think Ian West's geology website has something on it...

As an aside, if you want to dig a deep vertical tunnel, then Mikhail Tsiferov's rocket-engine tunnelling machine is perfect. Drills at five metres per minute through rock, faster through soil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_rocket
    Great for shallow holes but no good for anything of any great depth. The big issue will remain the inability to get the drilled rock out of the hole. It mentions carrying fragments up to 15cm across but there is a rapid loss of lift as the cuttings get further from the source of the lift (the rocket) and eventually they will fall back and block the hole behind the device.
    Yeah, my tongue might have been slightly in my cheek. It's just something I'd love to see working. From a safe distance... ;)
    If you just want to ram a hole in the ground, Ted Taylor was of the opinion that he could design a nuclear shaped charge that would dig a tunnel 1000 feet long by 10-20 feet.
    Not as cool an idea as that one about propelling ships by launching nuclear missiles out the back.
    The rock tunnelling shaped charge idea came out of Project Orion. Shaped charges were part of the design for that.
    Seems like when you buy a sandwich toaster and for a while use it all the time - they had nukes and were just looking to use them for everything.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

I am making no comment on the morality or desirability of Russia's actions which seem to me to be outrageous. I am however noting that from the invasion of Iraq onwards and for the subsequent 30 years the West has largely had the monopoly on interfering with nations by force and now Russia is doing the same.

You will see and read a lot about a "new world order" in the coming days and I am simply pointing out that western liberal democracies weren't "it" in terms of historical progression. Indeed I am noting that the West has behaved in analagous ways previously to the way in which Russia is behaving now.

And you and others whine about "values" and "morality" and "democracy" so you can feel much better about yourselves. Perhaps you have changed your facebook profile to include a Ukranian flag, bless your heart. You are meanwhile missing the point about the geo-political forces emerging today as we are seeing before our very eyes.
    Christ. Some horrific footage coming out of Kharkiv now. Russia is going full Grozny. Missiles launched at residential districts, just to kill

NSFW

"Ukraine's interior ministry says dozens killed, hundreds injured civilians after massive GRAD shelling of Kharkiv *while negotiations are ongoing". If true, these are the worst faith "negotiations" recent history has seen."

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498262958287302658?s=20&t=2kR0pI2jbJRlro-fkWgWeg
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

Topping seems to be taking the position that a past wrong might justify a current crime - against a country which had no part in it.
    It is a ridiculous and morally despicable position.

He has some sort of point about the legality or otherwise of invading other countries, but he's making an extremely poor case for it.
    I'm not making a point about anything justifying anything. I am observing that for 30 years the West has been dominant militarily and strategically and now Russia wants to play for its own perverse reasons. I am making no value judgement about anything, I am just looking at where we are now and how we got here.
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

What has any of this to do with the price of fish? You sound like the Soviets deflecting criticism with "In America they lynch negroes".

Realpolitik means that the current Russian government should pay a high price for launching an unprovoked attack on Ukraine. For once, doing what is right matches doing what is expedient.
    Russia will certainly pay a high price for launching an attack on Ukraine. Let's see how high a price. That is indeed realpolitik. Will Europe force higher energy prices on its population by refusing to by Russian gas? We will see. Realpolitik is also that Russia gets to roll its tanks into Ukraine without anyone, practically, able to stop them. Not NATO, not the EU, and not the UK.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Utterly offtopic but not posted yet

https://interestingengineering.com/energy-company-plans-geothermal-energy?presentid=webnews

A new renewable energy source is being tested - drill 8 miles down and use the geothermal heat.

I saw the Cornish experiment in the mid-80s - Camborne School of Mines Hot Dry Rock Geothermal Project in the Carnmenellis granite. I believe the Eden Project is involved in experiments that way. But this new thing sounds much deeper.
    There's actually a working geothermal heating system in the middle of Southampton.

"By 2007, the system had 11 km (6.8 miles) of pipes, and was producing 40 GWh of heat, 22 GWh of electricity and 8 GWh of cooling per year."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_District_Energy_Scheme
    The biggest problem with deep geothermal has been the cost of drilling the hole. These guys are claiming to have a novel, cheap method for that. I am a bit skeptical.....
    From the deep, dark recesses of my mind, another issue is that unless carefully planned, they get less efficient as the extraction of hot water cools the surrounding rock faster than the heat can be replenished. Basically, you keep on needing to drill to 'get' heat into the system.

Don't know why that's different in Southampton. I think Ian West's geology website has something on it...

As an aside, if you want to dig a deep vertical tunnel, then Mikhail Tsiferov's rocket-engine tunnelling machine is perfect. Drills at five metres per minute through rock, faster through soil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_rocket
    Great for shallow holes but no good for anything of any great depth. The big issue will remain the inability to get the drilled rock out of the hole. It mentions carrying fragments up to 15cm across but there is a rapid loss of lift as the cuttings get further from the source of the lift (the rocket) and eventually they will fall back and block the hole behind the device.
    Yeah, my tongue might have been slightly in my cheek. It's just something I'd love to see working. From a safe distance... ;)
    If you just want to ram a hole in the ground, Ted Taylor was of the opinion that he could design a nuclear shaped charge that would dig a tunnel 1000 feet long by 10-20 feet.
    Not as cool an idea as that one about propelling ships by launching nuclear missiles out the back.
    The rock tunnelling shaped charge idea came out of Project Orion. Shaped charges were part of the design for that.
    Seems like when you buy a sandwich toaster and for a while use it all the time - they had nukes and were just looking to use them for everything.
    No, Orion was beautiful.

The big version could get us to Alpa Centauri, by using all the nukes ever made.... talk about swords to ploughshares.....
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

TOPPING said:

I don't know if you're thinking about the perception of what used to be called the 3rd world but I think equating Obama with Putin is madness. Did he sometimes use force unnecessarily? Perhaps. If people want to compare Zelensky to Saddam Hussein or the Taliban fine. But values do matter to some people.
    I don't agree with what Putin is doing ... but let's make the cases equivalent.

Suppose the South-Western section of the US wanted to secede. The land was after all captured from Mexico comparatively recently in a bloody war. Chicano people are a majority in parts of it & there are certainly political movements that don't want a border separating people in Mexico & the US who share much common heritage & history.

What do you think the response of the US President would be?

And in fact, Trump's comments are very revealing in this regard. He obviously sees the analogy between Russia/Ukraine and US/Mexico.

I think Trump -- and actually many US presidents -- would act just as Putin is acting. They would prevent the secession (as they see it).

Of course this is a thought experiment. But, I think the forces that motivate Putin are not that far from the surface in many Western democracies.
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

Of course.

Presumably the UN wouldn't pass a resolution authorising Western powers to liberate Ukraine.

But it would be entirely justified, even if the calculation is that we shouldn't do it.
    Agreed, and that is where it gets messy.
    The ability of permanent members of the UN Security Council to wield a veto means they mark their own homework.

But I think there is absolutely no doubt that this is a war of aggression, and that Putin is a war criminal. I'm not sure Topping would deny that, either.
  • Leon said:

Christ. Some horrific footage coming out of Kharkiv now. Russia is going full Grozny. Missiles launched at residential districts, just to kill

NSFW

"Ukraine's interior ministry says dozens killed, hundreds injured civilians after massive GRAD shelling of Kharkiv *while negotiations are ongoing". If true, these are the worst faith "negotiations" recent history has seen."

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498262958287302658?s=20&t=2kR0pI2jbJRlro-fkWgWeg

I am sure our resident Putin Sock Puppet will argue this is simply what liberation looks like....
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

I am making no comment on the morality or desirability of Russia's actions which seem to me to be outrageous. I am however noting that from the invasion of Iraq onwards and for the subsequent 30 years the West has largely had the monopoly on interfering with nations by force and now Russia is doing the same.

You will see and read a lot about a "new world order" in the coming days and I am simply pointing out that western liberal democracies weren't "it" in terms of historical progression. Indeed I am noting that the West has behaved in analagous ways previously to the way in which Russia is behaving now.

And you and others whine about "values" and "morality" and "democracy" so you can feel much better about yourselves. Perhaps you have changed your facebook profile to include a Ukranian flag, bless your heart. You are meanwhile missing the point about the geo-political forces emerging today as we are seeing before our very eyes.
    You're not entirely wrong. My Putin-supporting parent has a point when they say "well, what about Obama's drones"

The West, especially the USA, has acted with grisly impunity for three decades, as the dominant superpower. We cannot complain when other powers do it now. What's our argument if China decides to zap a Hong Kong dissident in Madrid with a smart bomb? How is that different to what Obama did to jihadists in MENA that he didn't like?

However, we can also avoid whataboutery

Putin's invasion of Ukraine is on a different scale of barbarity (and pointlessness) and must be resisted and opposed
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    @TOPPING is your entire argument basically “the west had it coming”? If so, christ.
    It will be impossible to verify, since it is not like the Russian's will clarify honestly, but the Ukrainian claim that more than 5000 Russian soldiers have been killed is pretty startling for developed nations and modern wars. It's presumably unlikely to be that high, propaganda plays a part after all, but even if it was only half that it would be very significant.
    Leon said:

NSFW

Jesus. Fuck him. Anything in reserve short of WWIII, we must do now.
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What bullshit.

Of course.

Agreed, and that is where it gets messy.
    The ability of permanent members of the UN Security Council to wield a veto means they mark their own homework.

But I think there is absolutely no doubt that this is a war of aggression, and that Putin is a war criminal. I'm not sure Topping would deny that, either.
    You agree that "Presumably the UN wouldn't pass a resolution authorising Western powers to liberate Ukraine".

ROFLMAO. You're damn straight they wouldn't. Be assured that no Western power is going to "liberate Ukraine".

And as for Putin being a war criminal in an earlier post I posited whether George W Bush, Obama (and of course our Tone) were madmen. You could ask whether they were war criminals also and you begin to see the absurdity of the terms of reference that many on here are trying to frame the Ukrainian crisis.
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I think it is what we all expected in fairness.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320

@TOPPING is your entire argument basically “the west had it coming”? If so, christ.

And even if that were true, that doesn’t mean that we should do nothing whilst innocent Ukrainians are killed.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@rcs1000 - We need a t-shirt for this...
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    biggles said:

Leon said:

NSFW

Jesus. Fuck him. Anything in reserve short of WWIII, we must do now.
    Yes - I can’t see how Ukraine can have peace talks when this happens. Seriously - fuck Putin. I hope we inflict as much pain as we possibly can on him (or that when he inevitably gets assassinated, it’s a long and painful death)
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I heard spetsnaz were coming for the mod who banned the Putinite troll.

Scott_xP said:

Entirely in keeping with the Putin machine's 'words hurt more than bombs' stance on moral outrage.
    kle4 said:

It will be impossible to verify, since it is not like the Russian's will clarify honestly, but the Ukrainian claim that more than 5000 Russian soldiers have been killed is pretty startling for developed nations and modern wars. It's presumably unlikely to be that high, propaganda plays a part after all, but even if it was only half that it would be very significant.

That's killed, injured and captured.

That's what happens when you send conscript armies to places other than home....
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    Scott_xP said:

They should be told it was an OLD photo.
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

Being shorter than Macron, I can confirm it is easy to be undermined.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Sandpit said:

Christ, it really is government by dressing up box for these people.
    Perhaps Liz and Boris are actually running sorties over Ukraine each night.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

@rcs1000 - We need a t-shirt for this...
    On that basis the nuclear bomb will hit London at about 19:00 on Wednesday.
This discussion has been closed.