Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the betting, the money goes on Putin surviving – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,731
edited March 2022 in General
imageIn the betting, the money goes on Putin surviving – politicalbetting.com

When this market first appeared a couple of days ago punters were giving the Russian leader an 80% chance of survival. Since then things seem to be going his way and it is becoming harder to see a change within a couple of months.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Let's see what happens the rouble crashes and burns tomorrow.

Not betting until we see how that plays out. The money men behind without money have no reason to keep him in place.
  • Options
    personally I will leave betting on this as its not appropriate in my view
  • Options
    I hope Putin doesn't take the Sun as his daily newspaper....

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1498061258263863296?s=20&t=u4MPl-xXHhkS_qoK0M1dUA
  • Options

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1498061258263863296?s=20&t=u4MPl-xXHhkS_qoK0M1dUA

I hope he does!
  • Options

Surely he will have it framed for the downstairs loo. Mad Vlad Goes Nuclear is surely what he wants to convey.

Do we still call them A-bombs though? I'm not down with the kidz and could not find Faslane on a map.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,829

HYUFD said:

Do some people really think that the difference between Putin deciding to destroy the world or not is really going to come down to the technicalities of NATO membership?

Had Ukraine not tried to join NATO Putin would likely not have invaded it in the first place.

NATO should not have tried to absorb the old nations of the USSR
    You're on the wrong side.
    It's also stupid. Putin has said time and again he wants to re-establish a greater Russian empire. He's said Ukraine isn't a real country. Sovereignty is whatever he decides it is when he feels like it. Did Zelensky going on about Nato membership push him over the edge? Possibly. But the fundamental problem was always there. He demands submission. Ukrainians will never submit to his rule.
    Exactly right.
    The only stable outcomes of this situation involve Putin not being in power.
    For all HYUFD goes on about realpolitik, he's basically defending the position of a man whose approach to international relations is to spread propaganda about gays and Jews corrupting the West and how Russia is the last bastion of Christian purity. I mean, if that's not a moral crusade, and a lunatic one too, then what is? Realpolitik and Putin are polar opposites.

HYUFD is really all over the place here. He has no idea, absolutely no fucking clue at all, what he's talking about and it's kind of embarrassing to see it. I normally take pleasure in shooting his stupider arguments out of the barrel, but honestly, this Putinist turn is just a bit sad and tawdry.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited February 2022
    Does Putin speak English? I don't think I have ever heard him do so. Given his background, i presumed he did, but then every meeting he has with a foreign leader there is always a translator.
  • Options
    FPT

Yokes said:

Maybe time to look at the off ramps.

Weeks ago I mentioned that the Russians left themselves few such avenues because the demands were simply not acceptable but there were also some potential wins. Lets bear in mind what the objectives could be that could be claimed as successes.

1. LPR & DPR recognition/ absorption. This is de facto anyway. The problem comes with the idea if that the territory that defines those two is bigger than they are now

2. Weaken the Ukrainian military to such a state that it represents no threat to the LPR & DPR. Open question here, will require more conflict but clearly this current conflict degrades the Ukrainian military

3. Take NATO membership off the table. This is viable, even if not in a written agreement, it could be claimed in practice because if that kind of trouble is the price for it, maybe Ukraine & NATO will think twice.

Some thinking out there that Putin may accept something to bail. Remember the publicly stated objectives of the Kremlin can be seen as a bit vague, plus the Russian military are stretched here, they have committed two thirds of their in-theater ground forces so far, and those in-theater forces represent about 70% of their standing army combat power.

One thing though, Ukraine would be mad to accept a ceasefire for a short period with positions in place unless there is clear sense of an agreement. That will potentially give Russia the chance to shore up its tail which has proven a problem for them

PtP says...

1. Agreed.

2. Yes, I can see that, although it's problematic, as you indicate.

3. I don't know why NATO membership was ever on the table. Was never going to happen and was never necessary.

Not sure I agree a ceasefire necessarily helps Russia. It's isolated internationally and the war is an economic disaster. Russia surely needs a short war?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited February 2022

Surely he will have it framed for the downstairs loo. Mad Vlad Goes Nuclear is surely what he wants to convey.

Do we still call them A-bombs though? I'm not down with the kidz and could not find Faslane on a map.
    The good old UK press doing his job for him.

Without censoring them, one would really hope that the UK Govt could find a way to rein them in a bit. It's profoundly unhelpful IMO. Not a time for headlines like this, whatever your views on the best course of action or Putin's state of mind.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,948

Suspect the average age of Sun readership is actually quite high.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,850
    edited February 2022

Does Putin speak English? I don't think I have ever heard him do so. Given his background, i presumed he did, but then every meeting he has with a foreign leader there is always a translator.

Putin needs to visit the Hague.

Edit: Actually the world's airlines should send him free offers of such a thing.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    https://twitter.com/FGoria/status/1498058707116208132

'RUSSIAN CENTRAL BANK ORDERS MARKET PLAYERS TO REJECT FOREIGN CLIENTS' BIDS TO SELL RUSSIAN SECURITIES FROM 0400 GMT ON FEB 28 — CENTRAL BANK DOCUMENT SEEN BY REUTERS'

Moscow Exchange website down as well. This move, as I understand it effectively makes the market junk for foreign investors.

This is going to be spectacular, and the anti-war protests will be of a completely different magnitude once it hits the bank accounts.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I think I’ve read he has an intermediate knowledge of English, so not enough to want to discuss anything serious without a translator. He’s supposed to be pretty fluent in German from his days as a KGB agent in the DDR though.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,810
    I don't bet on things like this, but would put the chances of a palace coup at the Kremlin at higher than 8% in the next 2 months. The weird speeches and irrational decision making over the war suggest all is not well, and from what I have heard the financial sanctions are going to cause major problems starting tomorrow. Plus many other contributory factors. There are murmers of dissent occuring all over the place. Probably closer to 20% - 30% in my estimation.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,326
    edited February 2022

He must to some level. He sang/mimed in English at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4IjHz2yIo
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135

Not betting until we see how that plays out. The money men behind without money have no reason to keep him in place.

Russian economic system already collapsing into autarky.

BREAKING - The Russian central bank has ordered market players to reject foreign clients' bids to sell Russian securities from 0400 GMT on Monday, according to a central bank document seen by Reuters.

The bank did not reply to a Reuters request for comment.

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1498060945070956551

I don't know much about these things, but apparently this constitutes a prohibition on foreigners selling any Russian investments (e.g. that BP stake in Rosneft,) effectively ending outside investment in the Russian economy. I am assuming that existing investments are then frozen unless a Russian domestic buyer can be found for them, or perhaps until they are confiscated, rendering at least some of them effectively worthless.

The Western alliance has started the process of unhooking Russia from the global financial system; it appears that the Russians themselves are finishing the job.
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 146
    edited February 2022

I think he does, but I imagine as a matter of national pride prefers not to in public, perhaps also to keep opponents guessing.

In happier times he once sang 'Blueberry Hill' in English at some sort of charity fundraiser (footage from RT here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4IjHz2yIo).

Though it now rather pales in comparison to Zelensky voicing Paddington Bear, winning Strictly, or playing the piano like... that.
  • Options

The message is now that this mad man must be stopped at all costs.

Not sure that Johnson will be unhappy with that message tonight. "Putin must fail" is his mantra these days.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/FGoria/status/1498058707116208132

'RUSSIAN CENTRAL BANK ORDERS MARKET PLAYERS TO REJECT FOREIGN CLIENTS' BIDS TO SELL RUSSIAN SECURITIES FROM 0400 GMT ON FEB 28 — CENTRAL BANK DOCUMENT SEEN BY REUTERS'

Moscow Exchange website down as well. This move, as I understand it effectively makes the market junk for foreign investors.

This is going to be spectacular, and the anti-war protests will be of a completely different magnitude once it hits the bank accounts.

There's much more that could have been done though. Invalidation of asset classes etc. Hey but there's always today.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,193

He can speak a few words at least. I recall him saying "Shall we begin" at the start of a summit about 5 years ago.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,689
    PJohnson said:

Massive Russian convoy seen outside Kyiv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gDmMVzjIVw

Outside Kyiv being 60km away?
    Not good this is a massive 3.5 mile convoy...putin is getting serious...pray tonight for the citizens of kiev
    That post is so insulting it is IDENTICAL to what Lord Haw Haw actually did say!

Many of us ARE praying tonight, for everyone involved to return to their loved ones, EXCEPT crazy Putin and his sick minded cronies.

If you knew what prayer is and possessed just a morsel of compassion or love for people, you could never have allowed yourself to type and post that. Even if you are on another side in an argument, you must stop yourself thinking and feeling like a compassionless and spiteful propagandist. It’s the most insulting post I have ever read on this site, and I’ve read billions.

I am going to give it my first ever flag, and you deserve it! 😡
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Do some people really think that the difference between Putin deciding to destroy the world or not is really going to come down to the technicalities of NATO membership?

Had Ukraine not tried to join NATO Putin would likely not have invaded it in the first place.

It's also stupid. Putin has said time and again he wants to re-establish a greater Russian empire. He's said Ukraine isn't a real country. Sovereignty is whatever he decides it is when he feels like it. Did Zelensky going on about Nato membership push him over the edge? Possibly. But the fundamental problem was always there. He demands submission. Ukrainians will never submit to his rule.
    Exactly right.
    For all HYUFD goes on about realpolitik, he's basically defending the position of a man whose approach to international relations is to spread propaganda about gays and Jews corrupting the West and how Russia is the last bastion of Christian purity. I mean, if that's not a moral crusade, and a lunatic one too, then what is? Realpolitik and Putin are polar opposites.

HYUFD is really all over the place here. He has no idea, absolutely no fucking clue at all, what he's talking about and it's kind of embarrassing to see it. I normally take pleasure in shooting his stupider arguments out of the barrel, but honestly, this Putinist turn is just a bit sad and tawdry.
    Rubbish.

It is not being pro Putin to want to avoid the UK being drawn into a nuclear war.

Which based on Putin's statements there would be at least a 50% chance of if we went to war with Russia over Ukraine, a non NATO nation.

I support economic sanctions against Putin, I do not support war unless he goes beyond Ukraine and invades NATO nations
    Most people on here probably agree with you on that. So don't eg. support getting involved in things like "no fly zones". The issue is your wider arguments about expansion of NATO - basically saying that for fear of Putin we should have just left the ex Soviet states to their inevitable fate of being reabsorbed into Russia against their will. The idea that they could have just "spent more on defence themselves" is laughable. Short of acquiring their own nuclear weapons, which would have hardly made the world a safer place.

We didn't spend 40 years going through the Cold war, ultimately welcoming the fall of the Berlin wall and the emergence of democracy in the Baltics, just to happily accept some ex KGB officer reversing it all 20-30 years later.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,815
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

It is not being pro Putin to want to avoid the UK being drawn into a nuclear war.

Which based on Putin's statements there would be at least a 50% chance of if we went to war with Russia over Ukraine, a non NATO nation.

I support economic sanctions against Putin, I do not support war unless he goes beyond Ukraine and invades NATO nations
    A perfectly rational and sensible position, one probably supported by the majority of Britons. We do not want nuclear war with Russia, over Ukraine, sad as it is. Ukraine is not in NATO, it is not a core western country that we should all die for

Besides, we can use Ukraine cleverly, as our enemies have used our mistakes against us. Get Putin bogged down in an unwiinnable war of insurrection and chaos. Weaken his regime. Bingo he goes. Job done. No nukes fired
  • Options
    LDLF said:

I think he does, but I imagine as a matter of national pride prefers not to in public, perhaps also to keep opponents guessing.

In happier times he once sang 'Blueberry Hill' in English at some sort of charity fundraiser (footage from RT here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4IjHz2yIo).

Though it now rather pales in comparison to Zelensky voicing Paddington Bear, winning Strictly, or playing the piano like... that.
    Strictly: Zelensky
    Apprentice: Trump
    HIGNFY: Boris
    Stars in their Eyes: Putin
  • Options
    Putin looks awful puffy for a teetotaller. Like Yeltsin in his later years, but Yeltsin was an alky

I wonder if he is secretly knocking it back
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Do explain how we get there ... preferably without very significant loss of life.

As far as I can see, the options suggested by pb.com are (1) a palace coup by those surrounding him, (2) assassination by the West somehow, (3) massive uprising by the Russian population.

None of these look likely in the short term. (1) and (2) are unquantifiable in terms of probability, but if they are tried and fail ... I shudder to think of the consequences.

Optimistically, (3) is maybe possible on the timescale of ~ months if things go very badly in Russia.
  • Options
    Have made zero secret of personal theory, that Boris Johnson is (another) non-card-carrying Putinist. Whether for love (of power), or money, or God-knows-what, who can say? Likely all of the above in his case, again IMHO.

Response from more than one BJ fan has been to call me (I paraphrase) wrongheaded.

Now another notable supporter of Prime Minister endorses the gist of Putin's argument, in name of (supposed) realpolitik.

Ok, so which is it?

Or, like your Fearless Leader, do you wanna have it all ways? Have your cake, eat it AND bust-up the bakery?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,303

Do explain how we get there ... preferably without very significant loss of life.

As far as I can see, the options suggested by pb.com are (1) a palace coup by those surrounding him, (2) assassination by the West somehow, (3) massive uprising by the Russian population.

None of these look likely in the short term. (1) and (2) are unquantifiable in terms of probability, but if they are tried and fail ... I shudder to think of the consequences.

Optimistically, (3) is maybe possible on the timescale of ~ months if things go very badly in Russia.

Is this 1 or 3 ?

Sanctioned Russian TV Host Cries About Losing Italian Properties

The impact of Putin’s war against Ukraine is starting to set in, startling even his most ardent state TV propagandists. It’s all fun and games 'till they seize your Italian villa.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sanctioned-russian-tv-host-vladimir-soloviev-cries-about-losing-his-italian-villa
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

Hypothetically, what if he hits Romania/Poland with missiles in retaliation for their airfields being used to run missions in Ukraine?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

You are making pro-Putin arguments, 100% you are. You portray arguments for containment as provocative and instead argue for "realpolitik". But when somebody puts to you that this will both encourage nuclear proliferation AND the fact that Putin is on a moral crusade, you go silent about realpolitik. You can't have it both ways. Realpolitik is about doing what's practical. You just want to pay the Danegeld and hope it makes the Dane go away. And you're offering a whole country.

Either you know that Putin won't stop at Ukraine, in which case all you're doing is emboldening the Kremlin... or you don't realise that his Eurasian strategy has talked about EXACTLY THIS kind of unilateral annexation of former Russian Empire states.

Whether you're attempting to sell out Ukraine for a few weeks of feeling less anxious, or you're ignorant of what Putin stands for despite the long pattern of his actions, I don't know. I suspect your are ignorant and that is also the most charitable reading. But either way, you're badly, badly wrong.

Incidentally, I think it's time to remind everyone what you said a few short days ago. In order to defend some rubbish or other you'd come out with, you ended up claiming that Russia is a democracy. That there is your level of ignorance or delusion on the subject. You are massively and tragically out of your depth here.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

He can speak a few words at least. I recall him saying "Shall we begin" at the start of a summit about 5 years ago.
    Betya if we all keep saying "FUCK YOU!" he'll cotton on presently.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

A perfectly rational and sensible position, one probably supported by the majority of Britons. We do not want nuclear war with Russia, over Ukraine, sad as it is. Ukraine is not in NATO, it is not a core western country that we should all die for

Besides, we can use Ukraine cleverly, as our enemies have used our mistakes against us. Get Putin bogged down in an unwiinnable war of insurrection and chaos. Weaken his regime. Bingo he goes. Job done. No nukes fired
    Fuck yourself, warship.
  • Options

Have made zero secret of personal theory, that Boris Johnson is (another) non-card-carrying Putinist. Whether for love (of power), or money, or God-knows-what, who can say? Likely all of the above in his case, again IMHO.

Response from more than one BJ fan has been to call me (I paraphrase) wrongheaded.

Now another notable supporter of Prime Minister endorses the gist of Putin's argument, in name of (supposed) realpolitik.

Ok, so which is it?

Or, like your Fearless Leader, do you wanna have it all ways? Have your cake, eat it AND bust-up the bakery?

I think HYUFD has given up on Johnson as PM. The polling doesn't support his continued allegiance.
  • Options
    What will, hopefully, finish Putin off isn't the horror of war, nor the moral issue, nor even the economic hit to Russia. He can survive those, as he has before. But what he can't survive is being seen to be a loser.

And the narrative that he's a loser is taking hold, rapidly. Ukraine has been really smart in pushing that narrative. Of course it's too early to tell for sure, and things may look different in a couple of days, with things getting much more brutal. Still, at the moment he's very much on the defensive.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

1 and 3 are not independent of each other.
    3 emboldens and informs the potential perpetrators of 1 the way the wind is blowing in the country.
  • Options

What will, hopefully, finish Putin off isn't the horror of war, nor the moral issue, nor even the economic hit to Russia. He can survive those, as he has before. But what he can't survive is being seen to be a loser.

And the narrative that he's a loser is taking hold, rapidly. Ukraine has been really smart in pushing that narrative. Of course it's too early to tell for sure, and things may look different in a couple of days, with things getting much more brutal. Still, at the moment he's very much on the defensive.

I don't think he survives a bank run imho.

Tomorrow is economic meltdown in RU.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is this 1 or 3 ?

The impact of Putin’s war against Ukraine is starting to set in, startling even his most ardent state TV propagandists. It’s all fun and games 'till they seize your Italian villa.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sanctioned-russian-tv-host-vladimir-soloviev-cries-about-losing-his-italian-villa

'During Friday’s edition of The Evening With Vladimir Soloviev, the host raged: “I was told that Europe is a citadel of rights, that everything is permitted, that’s what they said… I know from personal experience about the so-called ‘sacred property rights.’ With every transaction I was bringing paperwork demonstrating my official salary, income, I did it all. I bought it, paid crazy amount of taxes, I did everything. And suddenly someone makes a decision that this journalist is now on the list of sanctions. And right away it affects your real estate. Wait a minute. But you told us that Europe has sacred property rights!”'

SSI - No wonder HYUFD is so solicitous, considering that "sacred property rights!" are at stake!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,193
    8% is far too low IMO.
  • Options
    "...it could unleash the mother of all financial panics in Moscow on Monday,”: Adam Tooze,
  • Options
    Dow futures down 600 points now...market obviously thinks putin is winning....
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

You are making pro-Putin arguments, 100% you are. You portray arguments for containment as provocative and instead argue for "realpolitik". But when somebody puts to you that this will both encourage nuclear proliferation AND the fact that Putin is on a moral crusade, you go silent about realpolitik. You can't have it both ways. Realpolitik is about doing what's practical. You just want to pay the Danegeld and hope it makes the Dane go away. And you're offering a whole country.

Either you know that Putin won't stop at Ukraine, in which case all you're doing is emboldening the Kremlin... or you don't realise that his Eurasian strategy has talked about EXACTLY THIS kind of unilateral annexation of former Russian Empire states.

Whether you're attempting to sell out Ukraine for a few weeks of feeling less anxious, or you're ignorant of what Putin stands for despite the long pattern of his actions, I don't know. I suspect your are ignorant and that is also the most charitable reading. But either way, you're badly, badly wrong.

Incidentally, I think it's time to remind everyone what you said a few short days ago. In order to defend some rubbish or other you'd come out with, you ended up claiming that Russia is a democracy. That there is your level of ignorance or delusion on the subject. You are massively and tragically out of your depth here.
    Blah blah blah blah

At some point you have to answer this: at what point would you go to a UK boots-on-the-ground war, or outright nuclear war, with Putin? And how would you sell that to the British people?

For Ukraine you would have almost zero support. For most of eastern Europe, the same. Maybe a sentimental vote for Poland - but small. And the British people are wise. The best thing we can do is arm the East and Ukraine and subvert Putin in other ways.

It's only when you reach core western Europe - Germany, Holland, Italy, France, that the British people might want to commit troops, and its only when you reach Britain herself (or America) that Britain would resort, with public backing, to nuclear threats and missiles.
  • Options
  • Options
    In early trade Rouble down 20% to new record lows against the dollar - though pretty thin trade…

Meanwhile the former Russian central banker Alekashenko says that the RCB has indeed attempted to limit sales of Russian securities, as per Reuter report…

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1498073881122426886
    https://twitter.com/saleksashenko/status/1498068219441160194?s=21
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Or...?

Surely you can fill in the gap.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

Hypothetically, what if he hits Romania/Poland with missiles in retaliation for their airfields being used to run missions in Ukraine?
    The cowards would wet their knickers and come up with some reason why we shouldn’t respond.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is this 1 or 3 ?

'During Friday’s edition of The Evening With Vladimir Soloviev, the host raged: “I was told that Europe is a citadel of rights, that everything is permitted, that’s what they said… I know from personal experience about the so-called ‘sacred property rights.’ With every transaction I was bringing paperwork demonstrating my official salary, income, I did it all. I bought it, paid crazy amount of taxes, I did everything. And suddenly someone makes a decision that this journalist is now on the list of sanctions. And right away it affects your real estate. Wait a minute. But you told us that Europe has sacred property rights!”'

SSI - No wonder HYUFD is so solicitous, considering that "sacred property rights!" are at stake!
    Dunno who this Russian TV star is but he can go fuck himself like that Russian warship.

• Options
    Looking to be a chaotic open on financial markets tomorrow...has the west miscalculated
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Back to school.
    There is no winning outcome for Putin personally.
    He is yesterdays man.
    Nobody in Russia, civilian, military or oligarch will want to associate with the deranged murdering loser in a few days time.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Leon said:

Putin looks awful puffy for a teetotaller. Like Yeltsin in his later years, but Yeltsin was an alky

I’ve seen claims that he’s on steroids for some serious illness.
  • Options
    Ukrainian MP

The simplest way to explain what’s going on in #Ukraine is just say: “It is a David vs Goliath situation”. Clear to everyone, plus you know who will win 😉.

But what I like the most, how after the battle David became a king and built a strong state. This is what we will do.

https://twitter.com/kiraincongress/status/1498074258282590222
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Ok, so which is it?

What evidence of Boris actions makes you think this?

Boris is a serial liar and a cheat, a lazy individual who thinks he can wing it and doesn't show any leadership, but AFAIK all the evidence is everything is about Boris career progression / saving his own behind when he has been caught breaking the rules. He hasn't even done a good job of enriching himself, despite all the opportunities to do so.

I can see how people think Trump is a Putinist, but things like Brexit, Boris calculation was all about his idea backing Leave was best for his career.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Looking to be a chaotic open on financial markets tomorrow...has the west miscalculated

Do you think it will bring back memories of 1998 in Russia?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    PJohnson said:

Lol
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Did your supervisor insist on a rewrite of that message?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,038
    PJohnson said:

Good buying opportunities, like last Thursday.

Though no buyers for the Russian stuff tommorow. No one will touch it now.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    This piece seeks to explain how the West can thwart the Russian central bank from using a large chunk of its foreign exchange reserves to prop up the ruble, which would presumably speed up the process of its collapse:

Russia’s FX reserves slip from its grasp

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1498072586399399937
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    edited February 2022
    PJohnson said:

Small bet time:

If the S&P is down more percentage-wise than the MOEX on Monday, then you win. Otherwise, I win.

Shall we say £10?

Edit to add: in theory the MOEX should do very well on Monday, as the Ruble is collapsing and the major market constituents are all USD earners.

I might even buy some Russian stocks myself.
  • Options

personally I will leave betting on this as its not appropriate in my view

The odds provide information, the world needs information.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PJohnson said:

Small bet time:

If the S&P is down more percentage-wise than the MOEX on Monday, then you win. Otherwise, I win.

Shall we say £10?

Winner pays out in roubles?
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Taz said:

Thread from a NYT journalist on the risk of a nuclear strike and the scenarios.

Worth a read.

https://twitter.com/max_fisher/status/1497971506852220929?s=21

Can't say I find that entirely re-assuring, if I'm honest.

I agree. I worry that too many people are ruling out the possibility that Putin might no longer see the use of nuclear weapons as a purely deterrence measure and/or has lost sight of what the purpose of deterrence means. It is obviously meant as a threat to Russia as a country. But if he has come to see himself and his regime and the embodiment of Russia - one and indivisible then this changes things. It no longer becomes about a threat of NATO invading Russia. It becomes a threat that failure in Ukraine means his downfall. If so, we are at least at the stage where one can contemplate he might give the order. Which then means you need others to step in...
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Markets Overnight
    $DJIA +2.51%
    $SPX +2.24%
    $IXIC +1.64%
    $FTSE +3.91%
    $DAX +3.67%
    $CAC +3.55%
    SPI Futures +152pts

https://twitter.com/RedLeafSec/status/1498061776357060609?t=SaHA7dpuF0W6UxsMsOIDag&s=19
  • Options
    I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO CHECK IT BLAH BLAH

Global: MilitaryInfo
    @Global_Mil_Info
    According to the Advisor to the Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, Russia has completely stopped moving towards Kyiv in some directions and even some units are withdrawing.
    11:16 PM · Feb 27, 2022·Twitter Web App
    https://twitter.com/Global_Mil_Info/status/1498074716246052864
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PJohnson said:

Small bet time:

Shall we say £10?

It won't be because the us is a much more diverse economy....but when peoples pensions go up in smoke suddenly I think we will see some less gung ho attitudes
  • Options
    Leon said:

Steroids. Moon face.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

I do not advocate an outside power doing it (2). Let me be totally clear on that.

Beyond that, I don't really care. I don't necessarily think it's likely in the short term either.
    There would be a visceral thrill in (3) happening. I do like a good pro-democracy revolution, but I'd like to know it would succeed before I got excited about one beginning. Failed revolutions tend to be very, very unhappy events indeed.
    The ideal would seem to be (1). Putin is shuffled into a very small room indeed, and a reform-minded person takes over and shifts Russia towards a more sensible stance. That's a reasonable hope.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,239

He must to some level. He sang/mimed in English at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4IjHz2yIo
    He was better here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUpUJdhKglo
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

As I said yesterday even if Putin can achieve his territorial and military aims, economically (trashed) and politically (the rich crooks who surround him will be a lot less rich due to him) he has completely screwed up. You can now add German rearmament to his list of achievements.

Greater Russia won't be so great.
  • Options

Ok, so which is it?

Boris is a serial liar and a cheat, a lazy individual who thinks he can wing it and doesn't show any leadership, but AFAIK all the evidence is everything is about Boris career progression / saving his own behind when he has been caught breaking the rules.

I can see how people think Trump is a Putinist, but things like Brexit, Boris calculation was all about his idea backing Leave was best for his career.
    Putin" s made a career cultivating such types as 45 & BJ, for his own ends, either directly or (more usually) indirectly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

Blah blah blah blah

At some point you have to answer this: at what point would you go to a UK boots-on-the-ground war, or outright nuclear war, with Putin? And how would you sell that to the British people?

For Ukraine you would have almost zero support. For most of eastern Europe, the same. Maybe a sentimental vote for Poland - but small. And the British people are wise. The best thing we can do is arm the East and Ukraine and subvert Putin in other ways.

It's only when you reach core western Europe - Germany, Holland, Italy, France, that the British people might want to commit troops, and its only when you reach Britain herself (or America) that Britain would resort, with public backing, to nuclear threats and missiles.
    If Russia invaded a NATO state, then we are treaty bound to regard it as an attack on ourselves. I take that treaty pretty seriously.
  • Options
    I would expect a liquidity crisis tomorrow.

Russian banks will not have enough liquid cash to settle accounts.

Russian Central Bank could lend money, but its accounts are frozen.

A lot depends on whether depositors/creditors accept rouble IOUs.

https://www.ft.com/content/0bd34bcd-52d9-4cff-9f81-33069a1851a3
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

rcs1000 said:

PJohnson said:

Small bet time:

Shall we say £10?

It won't be because the us is a much more diverse economy....but when peoples pensions go up in smoke suddenly I think we will see some less gung ho attitudes
    What pension?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,722
    edited February 2022
    PJohnson said:

Are you going to have a go at replying to any of my posts on the last thread?
  • Options
    GOP whacko jobs just get worse:

Wendy Rogers
    @WendyRogersAZ
    ·
    9h
    I nominate President Trump to broker a truce between Zelensky and Putin. We don’t want World War III.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/AlexandreKrausz/status/1498034918785531919

A Senior Advisor the the EU: 'Flying in #Ukraine skies within the hour.' In response to "EU countries will provide 'fighter jets' to Ukraine under Brussels funding: Borrell".

That 3.5 mile convoy looking mighty unsafe all of a sudden.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PJohnson said:

Wait.

I thought the market was up on Friday because Russia was winning and it was going to be a quick end to the war?
    With PJ, every day is Putin day.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

Blah blah blah blah

I agree with the general thrust, but we wouldn't threaten nukes if Putin tried to invade us - that's not how Trident works. If we had tactical nukes, we could threaten to use them in response to a conventional invasion.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

PJohnson said:

Anyone involved in financial markets know markets rarely do the same thing twice...like to catch the suckers..and in the financial markets doctors are known as the biggest suckers of all...Place your bets foxy
  • Options
    kjh said:

PJohnson said:

Are you going to have a go at replying any of my posts on the last thread?
    Njet.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,441
    PJohnson said:

https://twitter.com/osicnick/status/1498022940759240717?s=21
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I would expect a liquidity crisis tomorrow.

Russian banks will not have enough liquid cash to settle accounts.

Russian Central Bank could lend money, but its accounts are frozen.

A lot depends on whether depositors/creditors accept rouble IOUs.

https://www.ft.com/content/0bd34bcd-52d9-4cff-9f81-33069a1851a3

I'm hoping for total financial meltdown in RU tomorrow.

Something has to wake the population up to the mentally ill whacko they have running the country.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,912

A-bomb general implies a weapon that makes (most) of the fun from splitting atoms. See Hiroshima and Nagasaki

H-Bombs use an A-Bomb to stick start *fusing* atoms to together. Though, to complicate things they also generally include a lot of atom *splitting*. The term Hydrogen Bomb comes from the fact that the atoms they fuse are either/or tritium and deuterium - which are isotopes of hydrogen.

All except the smallest weapons (which the West doesn't bother with anymore) are H-bombs.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

rcs1000 said:

PJohnson said:

Small bet time:

Shall we say £10?

Why would the West's pensions go up in smoke?

• Options

Wendy Rogers
    @WendyRogersAZ
    ·
    9h
    I nominate President Trump to broker a truce between Zelensky and Putin. We don’t want World War III.

Perhaps not a completely daft choice. Trump is one of Putins few remaining friends, so might have some influence.
  • Options
    kjh said:

PJohnson said:

Are you going to have a go at replying to any of my posts on the last thread?
    Nah.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

The cowards would wet their knickers and come up with some reason why we shouldn’t respond.
    You do realise how utterly embarrassing it is for you to be calling anyone a coward when your contribution to the war effort is sitting on your pasty behind eating Greggs sausage rolls?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,441
    Foxy said:

Wendy Rogers
    @WendyRogersAZ
    ·
    9h

Perhaps not a completely daft choice. Trump is one of Putins few remaining friends, so might have some influence.
    She has posted some pretty wacky stuff recently about this whole issue.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

rcs1000 said:

PJohnson said:

Small bet time:

Shall we say £10?

For once one of your posts makes sense, albeit only if you apply it to Russia, not the West.

I hope that you were at least smart enough to insist that your contract wasn't in roubles.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

I wish I could pretend surprise at his attitude but considering his past views on democracy, and some of his views on religion/morals I'm not remotely surprised he's sympathetic to Putin.

I'm not sure he finds the notion of Christian purity etc as off-putting as you and I do.

Night all, play nice with each other!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rubbish.

You do realise how utterly embarrassing it is for you to be calling anyone a coward when your contribution to the war effort is sitting on your pasty behind eating Greggs sausage rolls?
    Still more of a contribution than you mate. I’m doing my bit for the war economy.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

I am so glad you are here posting the truth. The scales have fallen from my eyes and I see how I have been misled and lied to all these years. I have no doubt that, single-handedly, you will bring about the defeat of the west!
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,087
    Chameleon said:

A Senior Advisor the the EU: 'Flying in #Ukraine skies within the hour.' In response to "EU countries will provide 'fighter jets' to Ukraine under Brussels funding: Borrell".

This is as close to NATO v Russia air warfare as we can get before the RAF are over Lviv.

As you all know, I'm quite hawkish on this stuff but given Putin had lost it, I wonder how wise it is.

I think we should help the Ukrainians as quietly as possible. All this trumpeting of it by the EU, followed by a Highway of Death scenario, might push him over the edge.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Ok, so which is it?

Boris is a serial liar and a cheat, a lazy individual who thinks he can wing it and doesn't show any leadership, but AFAIK all the evidence is everything is about Boris career progression / saving his own behind when he has been caught breaking the rules.

Putin" s made a career cultivating such types as 45 & BJ, for his own ends, either directly or (more usually) indirectly.
    That maybe the case, but he doesn't seem to get anything from Boris e.g. US and UK were the ones pushing hardest for Russia removal from Swift. They were also the ones with the intell on this invasion and provided weapons to Ukraine early.

Now the Tories taking donations from some Russian ex-pats, that looks bad, but that was also happening before Boris was in charge. All Political parties in the UK have over the years been quite happy to take money from less than desirable folk. And wider institutions in finance and property have turned a blind eye to origins of Russian money, without being Putin apologists, in the same way they have taken Gaddafi or Saudi money.

With Trump at least we can point to actual evidence that he has said / done favourable things for Putin.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

As opposed to the absolute financial apocalypse that will occur to the Russian markets and currency tomorrow.

Let's hope they're paying you in dollars rather than roubles. Perhaps you should step away from the keyboard and run off to the ATM right now..
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

I simply do not believe that the EU will send fighter jets for combat against Russian jets over Ukraine, tomorrow

It is pathetic, delusional EU nonsense, and if it happens the EU will get Putin threatening fire and brimstone over Brussels. Who will fly these planes? From where? How? When? Why?

The EU is posturing. The willpower is not there. Probably for the best as it could kick off WW3
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Wendy Rogers
    @WendyRogersAZ
    ·
    9h

Trump would LOVE to bring peace to Eastern Europe. We'd never hear the end of it.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Foxy said:

PJohnson said:

Anyone involved in financial markets know markets rarely do the same thing twice...like to catch the suckers..and in the financial markets doctors are known as the biggest suckers of all...Place your bets foxy
    No, I invest in good companies for the long term, not a day trader, which is a licence to lose. I have about 5% of my portfolio in cash, so may buy the dips in some of my watchlist stocks.
This discussion has been closed.