Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Protests mount in Russia against Putin’s Ukraine invasion – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Britons living in EU can’t keep pre-Brexit rights, European court advised
    Blow to UK nationals as advocate general finds against Alice Bouilliez, who objected to losing voting rights

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/24/britons-living-in-eu-cant-keep-pre-brexit-rights-european-court-advised

I kept being corrected earlier this year by PB Brexiteers that advised me if I wanted to retire to the EU there were few Brexit incumbetences I would encounter. I knew then they were talking ****, but I bowed to wiser heads. It turns out they were wrong after all.
    What a surprise.
    Has a single Brexit claim been validated/vindicated?
    The one about a German-dominated bloc having pernicious geopolitical and economic effects?
    And Brexit altered that how?
    We've taken back control of our policies so we don't have to follow the German dominated bloc anymore.
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

About 75m east of Odessa..

@visegrad24
    Initial reports are coming in of a Ukrainian counter-offensive in Kherson.

To be confirmed.
    https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1496963412701634561

Yes, it does seem that the Russians have secured the crimean water supply from the Dnieper, but the Ukranians have retaken a bridge:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1496967261864828935?t=zpANBeAN218Uleq-wqDZVg&s=19
    I really really really hope that US/UK and other willing NATO partners with effective special forces are busily supplying Ukrainian army/insurgents with everything they need to get Putin bogged down in a terrible and unwinnable war.

This is a rare clear case of a good guy and a bad guy. Let us help the good guys and thereby fuck the bad guy
    Surely whatever results in less death and suffering is the best outcome?
    Over what timescale, though?

Every conflict in history has (I suspect) been opposed by people who sincerely thought that not responding to an aggressor would prevent death and suffering. Peace in our time and all that.

Unfortunately, there's plenty of historical experience that shows that often, that just leads to a worse conflict and more human misery a few years later.

But it's a damn difficult call, and not making the call is a call in itself. Selfishly, all I can feel is relief that I've never wanted to be in the big chair for that sort of thing and pity for those who will suffer the consequences of even a "right" call.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited February 2022

In his current apparent state of mind and health, it must surely be a good thing that Macron seems to have a decent line of communication with him. Biden, Johnson, Scholz and others have had very little spoken contact with him recently, as he sits in his bunker.

Of the 5 (official) nuclear powers, only France is ruled by someone who is not a malicious liar, incompetent, senile or a total shit.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

Andy_JS said:

A retired neurologist told me that he thinks Putin has Parkinson's. Quite advance and he is taking *all* the drugs to suppress symptoms.

Oh dear, the similarities keep piling up.

It would certainly explain why he had to go *now* rather than wait until Nord Stream 2 was up and running, say.

That's interesting because someone with a medical background just told me they thought he might have early dementia.
    Is that confirmation, or a different diagnosis? @PBDoctors?
    Vascular dementia and Parkinsons can both be caused by micro vascular cerebral disease.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290

kle4 said:

It is shocking.. but what a beautiful subway?

Dan Rivers
    @danriversitv
    41m
    Kharkiv Subway tonight. Like something from the Blitz in London during WW2. Shocking. Where on earth will this all end?

This is a sombre moment that should not be trivialised but I too shall do so anyway as it's how I roll - architecturally it seems quite exciting. Good light fixtures too. I can see why the makers of the Metro series are Ukrainian.
    If you ever get the chance to travel to Baku, their underground is a sight to behold.
    As are the women

The mix of Azeri, Persian, Slavic, Armenian, Jewish and weird proto-Caucasian genes makes for some of the most beautiful people on earth, especially if you go into the mountains

You get these raven haired young olive skinned Persian women yet with Slavic cheekbones and Nordic blue eyes, and then sometimes you get red haired girls with dark Iranian eyes and Russian slenderness. Intoxicating

• Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

Yes, it does seem that the Russians have secured the crimean water supply from the Dnieper, but the Ukranians have retaken a bridge:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1496967261864828935?t=zpANBeAN218Uleq-wqDZVg&s=19
    I really really really hope that US/UK and other willing NATO partners with effective special forces are busily supplying Ukrainian army/insurgents with everything they need to get Putin bogged down in a terrible and unwinnable war.

This is a rare clear case of a good guy and a bad guy. Let us help the good guys and thereby fuck the bad guy
    I suspect (I don't know) that there are advisors on the ground, and maybe even some US/UK special forces in Ukrainian clothes.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429

kle4 said:

Dan Rivers
    @danriversitv
    41m
    Kharkiv Subway tonight. Like something from the Blitz in London during WW2. Shocking. Where on earth will this all end?

This is a sombre moment that should not be trivialised but I too shall do so anyway as it's how I roll - architecturally it seems quite exciting. Good light fixtures too. I can see why the makers of the Metro series are Ukrainian.
    If you ever get the chance to travel to Baku, their underground is a sight to behold.
    IIRC Stalin had the Moscow metro dug deep as a bomb shelter pre WWII and it became the standard way of building metros in the Soviet Union. The grandiose halls were for extra space.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

A retired neurologist told me that he thinks Putin has Parkinson's. Quite advance and he is taking *all* the drugs to suppress symptoms.

It would certainly explain why he had to go *now* rather than wait until Nord Stream 2 was up and running, say.

No serious doctor would carry out the diagnosis of a medical condition by news media.

Some mushwit with the intellectual capacity of a Daily Mail journalist, maybe.

But not a scientist who wished to be taken even half-way seriously.
  • I've just realised that I'm feeling the same anxious fury that I haven't felt since 9/11.

I think Putin has just overtaken Bin Laden as the 21st Century's No1 villain.

I don't feel as anxious but if anything I feel rather more disgusted. It may be the fact that this is a known enemy whereas that just felt so weird. I fear the worst but hope for the best. Putin could well have bitten off more than he can chew in the long run but even if that's true it's hardly much consolation for the horror and destruction to be unleashed on millions of people who have done nothing to deserve it.
    We have to hope for hubris.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Leon said:

BTW does anyone know why Hong Kong's health system is reportedly being overwhelmed with covid ?

Omicron and a year of vaccination shouldn't give too many patients and they're not even getting many infections compared to what other countries have had.

It's because they have a mad policy of admitting to hospital EVERYONE thar tests positive for Covid. So they get huge backlogs and gurneys in car parks. And due to stifling Chinese protocol no one can admit this is a ridiculous error, so really bad cases are going untreated in the chaos

Could be solved in a minute if they just said "the former policy was bollocks, stop"
    For instance you might have a policy that worked when no-one was getting Covid but obviously banananananas when loads of peope have Covid.
    Loads of those cases will be mild/very mild/asymptomatic - so what is the thinking insisting they attend hospital? Batshit crazy.
    Back when no one was getting covid and you are running a zero covid policy it was a sensible idea. Anyone with covid gets whipped off to isolation. No chance of then wandering around and spreading it.

In the face of Omicron it is batshit.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

Surely whatever results in less death and suffering is the best outcome?
    Well yes, but what is that?

Arguably, Hitler defeating all of Europe including Britain and ruling Eurasia by 1942 would have resulted in "less death"

Is that better than what happened in the end? No.
    Not convinced by that. His plans for the ost empire were not exactly in the best interests of the inhabitants. And what would have stopped the holocaust?

In his current apparent state of mind and health, it must surely be a good thing that Macron seems to have a decent line of communication with him. Biden, Johnson, Scholz and others have had very little spoken contact with him recently, as he sits in his bunker.

Of the 5 (official) nuclear powers, only France is ruled by someone who is not a malicious liar, incompetent, senile or a total shit.
    lol. Naive

I know people that know Macron. He is a TOTAL shit

You don't become French Prez without that fundamental trait.

He is also an effective politician, as I have said. If I was a French voter this year, I'd vote for him. He's done OK with an iffy hand
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

No serious doctor would carry out the diagnosis of a medical condition by news media.

Our own Foxy has given such opinions before.
  • kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Britons living in EU can’t keep pre-Brexit rights, European court advised
    Blow to UK nationals as advocate general finds against Alice Bouilliez, who objected to losing voting rights

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/24/britons-living-in-eu-cant-keep-pre-brexit-rights-european-court-advised

I kept being corrected earlier this year by PB Brexiteers that advised me if I wanted to retire to the EU there were few Brexit incumbetences I would encounter. I knew then they were talking ****, but I bowed to wiser heads. It turns out they were wrong after all.
    What a surprise.
    Yes, if we Brexit, we Brexit. And the EU has no legal power over us. That is all it ever needed to be, and it is glorious to be free
    Free of what? Mythical straight bananas? Yet look at the freedoms we have lost.
    I have not lost a single freedom.
    Really? I have personally been impacted by several. Various ECJ pension rulings which previously protected UK citizens and for which UK citizens now have no appeal process (not me personally, but campaign I am involved in), travel to EU countries limitations which has really badly impacted several friends of mine. For a short while we were impacted by the COVID travel restrictions re free travel between EU countries using an EU COVID pass, taking pets abroad, carnets, etc. The list goes on.
    As I said I have seen no disruption to my travel at any time outside of the covid issues. And even there I was able to travel a lot of the time as I was an essential worker. I just spent a fair bit of time in hotels. But otherwise I cannot in all honesty think of a single way in which Brexit has removed a single freedom or made anything more difficult for me.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215

Interesting interview with Kisin (who is Russian and married to a Ukrainian).

https://youtu.be/PN5Zmq9YTUs

His earlier episode today on Triggernometry earlier today is also very good, covering similar ground.
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

I suspect (I don't know) that there are advisors on the ground, and maybe even some US/UK special forces in Ukrainian clothes.
    This morning Putin was pretty clear: anyone assisting Ukraine militarily was going to get nuked.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

To be fair, I recall Johnson saying we wouldn’t be disclosing what exactly else we were sending.

Glad to hear Anti tank weapons seem to be working well. One (unconfirmed) report was approx 350 Russian soldiers killed.
    tlg86 said:

I don't think that I have. Can you cite an example?
  • A retired neurologist told me that he thinks Putin has Parkinson's. Quite advance and he is taking *all* the drugs to suppress symptoms.

I'd imagine the other offered diagnosis of dementia to even have a shred of credibility would have to be made by a fluent speaker of Russian.

A turnip would be able to differentiate between a diagnosis in the full medical sense and an opinion.

Plenty of times that doctors have commented that X on TV should have Y checked out, as X is showing symptoms.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Dan Rivers
    @danriversitv
    41m

Soviet metros are generally pretty cool. As well as outrageous architecture, Kyiv Metro has the deepest tube station in the world, at Arsenalna. It's probably a bit full at the moment.
    I see what you mean - even the simple ones are pretty striking

I went there a few years ago. No "Mind the Gap" or "See it Say it Sorted" announcements every five seconds either.

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

If the tanks go into Kyiv they are going to get Molotovs on their heads. And grannies taking one with them. Unfortunately, the best bet for the Ukrainians is to send as many Russian boys home in zinc-lined coffins as they can. Good news they have retaken that airfield though.
    I know we are not supposed to say this but I do genuinely feel sorry for the Russian grunt soldiers. Particularly if that anecdote earlier today about the platoon being captured because they didn't realise they were actually supposed to shoot Ukrainians was true. I can quite imagine they had been told by their commanders that they were liberating their fellow countrymen and would be welcomed with open arms. I assume that by now they have been thoroughly disabused of that particular notion.
    I feel the exact same sympathy. The average Russian GI has no interest in slaughtering Ukrainian women and children. Or even men. They are cousins. There is no beef.

It's like asking the USA to invade and conquer Canada. How many American soldiers would feel relaxed and happy about torching some town in British Colombia?
  • Leon said:

lol. Naive

He is also an effective politician, as I have said. If I was a French voter this year, I'd vote for him. He's done OK with an iffy hand
    Imagine the brouhaha if a PBer asserted that you don't become English PM without that fundamental trait.

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

I think not. The risks of capture would be too high. Possibly some freelancers, but not serving military.
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

This morning Putin was pretty clear: anyone assisting Ukraine militarily was going to get nuked.
    The entire civilized world ought to call his small dicked bluff.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Fishing said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Dan Rivers
    @danriversitv
    41m

Soviet metros are generally pretty cool. As well as outrageous architecture, Kyiv Metro has the deepest tube station in the world, at Arsenalna. It's probably a bit full at the moment.

I went there a few years ago. No "Mind the Gap" or "See it Say it Sorted" announcements every five seconds either.
    Then how on earth did you mind the gap? Sounds like a nightmare.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2022
    tlg86 said:

See the case of Professor David Southall on wiki.

"In 2004, following more complaints from the MAMA campaign and Mr Clark, Professor Southall was found guilty of serious professional misconduct by the General Medical Council (GMC), after alleging to a police child protection officer that the husband of Sally Clark, a mother convicted of murdering two of her babies, was himself almost certainly responsible for murdering the couple's children. Professor Southall made the claim in confidence to a child protection officer of the Staffordshire police after watching a television documentary about the case as he was concerned about the safety of the surviving child"

It is not very sensible to look at a TV program, and conclude a diagnosis.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    edited February 2022
    Fishing said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Dan Rivers
    @danriversitv
    41m

Any signs suggesting you report “unwanted staring”?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    Tel Aviv - Russia embassy. Russians are burning their passports
    https://twitter.com/juliaskripkaser/status/1496937066478944258
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

Maybe those loonies who thought Trump would precede the Apocalypse were on to summat after all?

Leon said:

lol. Naive

Imagine the brouhaha if a PBer asserted that you don't become English PM without that fundamental trait.
    Well we don't have such a position, also I am very confident many people have said previously or would agree now that you don't get to be PM without being a shit, so I am wuite sure you are wrong to think it would cause a brouhaha. You have to be a political animal after all.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Didn’t you say you think the Queen has a condition of the spine (sorry, can’t remember the technical term!).
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784

tlg86 said:

"In 2004, following more complaints from the MAMA campaign and Mr Clark, Professor Southall was found guilty of serious professional misconduct by the General Medical Council (GMC), after alleging to a police child protection officer that the husband of Sally Clark, a mother convicted of murdering two of her babies, was himself almost certainly responsible for murdering the couple's children. Professor Southall made the claim in confidence to a child protection officer of the Staffordshire police after watching a television documentary about the case as he was concerned about the safety of the surviving child"

it’s not a diagnosis, rather a tentative but not in reasonable speculation about the possibility that Putin is ill.
  • Has everybody in Moscow understood that Putin has just killed the Nato Russia Founding Act? That Nato would now be free to deploy unlimited troops in all new Nato members since 1997, including even nuclear weapons?

https://twitter.com/ischinger/status/1496948069518258176?
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

To be fair, I recall Johnson saying we wouldn’t be disclosing what exactly else we were sending.

Glad to hear Anti tank weapons seem to be working well. One (unconfirmed) report was approx 350 Russian soldiers killed.
    I agree with geoffw. He's overplayed his hand. His people and troops aren't prepared for mass casualties. And he's united NATO.
    And most of the rest of the West too. The Chinese are less than fulsome too.
    Hopefully, he's finished Trump too. Though that may be overly positive.
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

You want to call the bluff of a madman with his finger on the nuclear button? The 4 horsemen are having a good laugh.
  • Leon said:

lol. Naive

I suspect you don’t become a successful politician, anywhere, without that fundamental trait to a greater or lesser degree. It’s probably needed to carry out the job properly. Certainly to scale the greasy pole in the first place, I would imagine.

Interesting interview with Kisin (who is Russian and married to a Ukrainian).

https://youtu.be/PN5Zmq9YTUs

Interesting opening - basically that altMedia has gotten it all wrong because of a reflexive disbelief of anything said by mainstream media and politicians say, and mainstream media gotten it all wrong because of laziness.
  • Leon said:

lol. Naive

Every senior politician is a total shit. In modern politics the world over it is the only way you get to that position.
    I've just donated to this. Was recommended by a reliable source.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/helpukraine

• Leon said:

lol. Naive

England doesn’t have a PM.
    Huh?

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-there-is-a-forgotten-nay-almost-forbidden-word-which-means-more-to-me-than-any-other-winston-churchill-91-22-95.jpg
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Via Reuters: UNHCR estimates that 100,000 Ukrainians are already internally displaced, and several thousand have so far fled the country, mostly across the Moldovan and Romanian borders.
    A good thread that generally agrees with the PB consensus, as all good threads should. Putin has over-reached

"How does Putin's war not turn into a protracted insurgency, with infinite supplies of weapons flowing into Ukraine across the border from Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania - all countries protected by NATO? 1/x"

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1496967376486686730?s=20&t=1xiZ8kuYaHtph8fmH3hJRQ
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

Talking of polls, a new one:

Kantar Public, 17-21 Feb; 1,090

Lab 39%
    Con 34%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 2%

Dire Liberal Democrat retention rates. Again.

VI next time, by 2019 GE vote

2019 Con voters:

Con 79%
    Lab 9%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 3%
    UKIP 1%

2019 Lab voters:

Lab 87%
    LD 7%
    Con 2%
    Grn 1%

2019 LD voters:

LD 48%
    Lab 32%
    Grn 12%
    Con 8%
    Looks like anti Tory voting is kicking in
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

it’s not a diagnosis, rather a tentative but not in reasonable speculation about the possibility that Putin is ill.
    A fairly constant think, bad in my childhood, was trying to work out which member of the Politburo were

- Dead
    - Dying
    - Semi-dead
    - Reseting
    - Pining for the fjords

Based on their appearance at May Day parades.

A solemn chap on the BBC would give his view as the cameras paned along the collection on top of the Kremlin.
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

lol. Naive

Huh?

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-there-is-a-forgotten-nay-almost-forbidden-word-which-means-more-to-me-than-any-other-winston-churchill-91-22-95.jpg
    Well that is a complete non sequitur. I get you were trying to troll, but you're not likely to stir up outrage off a basic fact that the position you listed doesn't exist (though has been incorrectly referred to before). Perhaps you should have tried saying 'de facto' English PM to make your point.

A point which was ridiculous anyway, unless you genuinely believe no one has suggested our political leaders are shits before.
  • kle4 said:

Leon said:

lol. Naive

Well we don't have such a position, also I am very confident many people have said previously or would agree now that you don't get to be PM without being a shit, so I am wuite sure you are wrong to think it would cause a brouhaha. You have to be a political animal after all.
    Yes, but there's a distinction between being a Political Animal (who can do shitty things) and being A Shit (as your core identity).

TMexPM is an example. Far from innocent, and clearly capable of extreme prejudice on demand, but not Fundamentally A Shit. Same for Thatcher and Major. Cameron strikes me as borderline- it was always a bit unclear how much of his unpleasantness was duty and how much was pleasure.

For some politicians, naming no Alexanders, behaving badly towards underlings is the whole point of getting to the top.

• President Biden
    @POTUS

United States government official
    We have been transparent with the world — we shared declassified intelligence about Russia’s plans and cyber attacks and false pretexts — so that there can be no confusion or cover up.

Putin is the aggressor. Putin chose this war.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1496976495704784901?

And how many on here dismissed it?
  • RattersRatters Posts: 1,007
    A huge cheer to the Russian protesters and Russian soldiers who surrender rather than firing on their neighbours.

Putin's failure to get a casus belli, hindered in part by the US/UK's unusual transparency in public intelligence sharing, will not help his cause.

I'm assume Russia's overwhelming firepower will win out, but as we know well - taking a country is much easier than holding it costlessly against an armed local population.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    edited February 2022
    One vaguely well-informed person I spoke with today who is involved in private banking said a number of Russian emigre clients believe Putin may be terminally ill and that this may be guiding his actions - he wants to leave with a bang and a serious legacy of triumph. He has certainly already lived quite a bit longer than the average Russian man
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    If this turns into a debacle for Putin. It will be interesting to watch Fox News's pivot.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    MaxPB said:

It would be absolutely glorious if the Ukrainians are able to hold Putin off for long enough for the west to get significant anti aircraft and tank busters to them.

Maybe Russian military hardware isn't as modern and sophisticated as we've been led to believe.
  • Roger said:

Talking of polls, a new one:

Kantar Public, 17-21 Feb; 1,090

Lab 39%
    Con 34%
    LD 12%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 2%

Dire Liberal Democrat retention rates. Again.

VI next time, by 2019 GE vote

2019 Con voters:

Con 79%
    Lab 9%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 3%
    UKIP 1%

2019 Lab voters:

Lab 87%
    LD 7%
    Con 2%
    Grn 1%

2019 LD voters:

LD 48%
    Lab 32%
    Grn 12%
    Con 8%
    Looks like anti Tory voting is kicking in
    Yepp.

Then factor in a lot of DNVs turning up next time round, plus Con abstentionism. Con bloodbath ahoy!
  • darkage said:

I've just donated to this. Was recommended by a reliable source.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/helpukraine

A Polish craft beer group I follow is taking donations for a Ukrainian Army benevolent fund and asking members how many refugees they can house

kle4 said:

Leon said:

lol. Naive

Yes, but there's a distinction between being a Political Animal (who can do shitty things) and being A Shit (as your core identity).

TMexPM is an example. Far from innocent, and clearly capable of extreme prejudice on demand, but not Fundamentally A Shit. Same for Thatcher and Major. Cameron strikes me as borderline- it was always a bit unclear how much of his unpleasantness was duty and how much was pleasure.

For some politicians, naming no Alexanders, behaving badly towards underlings is the whole point of getting to the top.
    I'm not sure I think either position requires someone to be A Shit, capital letters and all. But I am sure people have said it of both and wouldn't get their knickers in a twist about the suggestion.
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Didn’t you say you think the Queen has a condition of the spine (sorry, can’t remember the technical term!).
    Yes, she has a dowagers hump, has lost height and gets back pain. She has osteoporosis of the spine. I think I once commented on Corbyns squint.

I wouldn't make a psychological diagnosis, but sometimes physical ones are obvious.

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

A fairly constant think, bad in my childhood, was trying to work out which member of the Politburo were

- Dead
    - Dying
    - Semi-dead
    - Reseting
    - Pining for the fjords

Based on their appearance at May Day parades.

A solemn chap on the BBC would give his view as the cameras paned along the collection on top of the Kremlin.
    Including what was the significance of X being third from the Supreme Leader, rather than fourth, ISTR.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

I've just realised that I'm feeling the same anxious fury that I haven't felt since 9/11.

I think Putin has just overtaken Bin Laden as the 21st Century's No1 villain.

I don't feel as anxious but if anything I feel rather more disgusted. It may be the fact that this is a known enemy whereas that just felt so weird. I fear the worst but hope for the best. Putin could well have bitten off more than he can chew in the long run but even if that's true it's hardly much consolation for the horror and destruction to be unleashed on millions of people who have done nothing to deserve it.
    We have to hope for hubris.
    He's forfeited the left-wingers who tend to get accused of nostalgic Russophilia - we heard from Corbyn earlier, and we had John McDonnell at the CLP meeting this evening, and he was utterly scathing - said he has numerous Ukrainian friends and they were terrified, and we needed to do all we could to support the countrye, including sanctions, freezing of oligarch assets and possible troop reinforcements to NATO members nearby. Also argued for actively supporting opponents of the Russian regime so as to help build up internal pressure on Putin.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,462
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Britons living in EU can’t keep pre-Brexit rights, European court advised

What a surprise.
    Yes, if we Brexit, we Brexit. And the EU has no legal power over us. That is all it ever needed to be, and it is glorious to be free
    Free of what? Mythical straight bananas? Yet look at the freedoms we have lost.
    I have not lost a single freedom.
    Enjoy queuing with the Russians in the immigration slow lane on your next European holiday.
    Ah, the dirty non-EU foreigners, not the clean EU foreigners. Barely human, right?
    Had to do that on the way into Romania - when we were still in the EU. Anyone with a slightly darker skin than mine got the third degree.
    There are definitely risk tiers, as I suspect there have always been. I have travelled to Schengen post-brexit and been waved through whilst friends on other non-EU passports were asked to show onward travel plans and proof of accomodation. The FBPErs schtick about “treated like eritreans” or whatever it is, could not be more wrong.

In fact, due perhaps to covid, the only long queues I have experienced have been at Heathrow. Why are half the electronic gates always closed? Are they broken, or are they not really automatic? Is a human pressing a button?
    Good question about those stupid gates! Re: covid, it paradoxically made travelling easier, by keeping away the crowds. The last time I was at LHR, half of PB was decrying travel and travellers and pledging not to take a flight again until 2046. It was wonderful in many ways, everything was open in the airport but without the faff of queueing for stuff.
  • kle4 said:

Leon said:

lol. Naive

Huh?

Well that is a complete non sequitur. I get you were trying to troll, but you're not likely to stir up outrage off a basic fact that the position you listed doesn't exist (though has been incorrectly referred to before). Perhaps you should have tried saying 'de facto' English PM to make your point.

A point which was ridiculous anyway, unless you genuinely believe no one has suggested our political leaders are shits before.
    You need a hug Mr Gwumpy.
  • Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

It would be absolutely glorious if the Ukrainians are able to hold Putin off for long enough for the west to get significant anti aircraft and tank busters to them.

Maybe Russian military hardware isn't as modern and sophisticated as we've been led to believe.
    If Putin is right about Ukies and Russians being brothers... are Russian soldiers prepared to kill their brothers? Have seen one story about a recon squadron surrendering.
  • Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

They were on top of Lenin’s tomb, which always was an unfortunate location…
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

You want to call the bluff of a madman with his finger on the nuclear button? The 4 horsemen are having a good laugh.
    I doubt he really has his finger any closer to the nuclear button than Trump did.

Do you think that the bandits propping him up want a nuclear war?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Simple evidence of that. They attacked in the daylight. The British and American armies have not done that since Korea because at night their technological advantage is so much greater. Russia simply doesn't have that advantage.
  • tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

I know rather too much than I would like about Parkinson's. A sign is an overly 'frozen' face, lacking the tiny little tics of sub-vocal communication. Putin certainly shows that, but it could just as easily be a sign of his utterly cold personality. He is like a 'reptile' was one description of a politician who met him years ago (Albright I think). Cold. Cold. Cold.

As to diagnosing via TV. iirc Paxman's doctor rang him one day a couple of years ago to say he had seen him do Uni Challenge that night and he thought Paxman should come in for some tests as he may have PD. Same thing I believe - stiff face, slight vocal issues.

• MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

President Biden
    @POTUS

We have been transparent with the world — we shared declassified intelligence about Russia’s plans and cyber attacks and false pretexts — so that there can be no confusion or cover up.

For the same reasons as the Ukraine leader and government? To be fair, it is just very hard to believe.

After blame they took after Afghanistan last year this is a thumbs up for intelligence people 👍🏻

Worth noting that the UK government is in the process of passing laws that would make the kinds of anti-war protests we’ve seen in Russia today potentially criminal acts.

They would never do that would be the cry, no doubt. Not worth the risk or temptation of it I'd say. In an emergency powers can be had pretty quickly.

If there is to be a reaction against all things even vaguely Putiny, perhaps we can include a reaction against creeping authoritarianist tendencies as part of that.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,692

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

I doubt he really has his finger any closer to the nuclear button than Trump did.

My guess is he doesn't literally have a big red button, bond villain style, that he can use to activate the nuclear deterrent without his generals being able to refuse the order.

At least, I hope not...
  • Large amount of NATO tanker support over eastern Europe today, most likely supporting fighters

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1496979493122199555
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

PB’s very own expert on Russia’s nuclear command system. Who’d’ve thunk it? Yokes, your services are no longer required.
  • Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

I think not. The risks of capture would be too high. Possibly some freelancers, but not serving military.
    I have no knowledge beyond an interest in military history and a bit of a soft spot for that of the Special Forces, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are operators (I think that’s what they call themselves, isn’t it?) out there, despite the risks.

For one thing, what’s the point of having some of the most capable soldiers on the planet and not using them in a conflict like this?

Maybe I’m wrong.

Someone I know vaguely was in the Special Reconnaissance Regiment, did a few tours in Afghan. He worked closely with the SAS and SBS out there. Said they’re great guys but made of something else entirely. One SAS guy broke his forearm. Just wrapped duct tape around it and carried on.

Leon said:

lol. Naive

Every senior politician is a total shit. In modern politics the world over it is the only way you get to that position.
    It's always been that way - "Put not your trust in princes".

Simply to survive, those at the top politically have to balance the a whole range of competing interests. Which means that you might be the favoured person one minute, out on your ear the next.
  • On any other day, what Starmer did to the SCG and Labour’s Stop the War Putin apologists today would be massive news. No other leader of the party has had such a grip on it since Blair was at his peak (no, that is not me claiming Starmer is Blair 2).
  • DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Simple evidence of that. They attacked in the daylight. The British and American armies have not done that since Korea because at night their technological advantage is so much greater. Russia simply doesn't have that advantage.
    I expect the home team are making the most of the dark.
  • Large amount of NATO tanker support over eastern Europe today, most likely supporting fighters

Naughty NATO had a *significant* number of aircraft in the airspace of a non-NATO country today. Without permission. For a *long* time. How not to make friends.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    edited February 2022
    Further to the 'Putin has Parkinson's' theory.

One of the drugs used in early treatment can cause psychosis, particularly with paranoia.

Get to your bunkers everyone, as @leon would say.

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, she has a dowagers hump, has lost height and gets back pain. She has osteoporosis of the spine. I think I once commented on Corbyns squint.

I wouldn't make a psychological diagnosis, but sometimes physical ones are obvious.

It was very widely rumoured that Robert Mugabe had advanced syphilis some years ago. Whilst it couldn't happen to anyone nicer, if true, it's clearly the type of syphilis that makes you live a mighty long time.
  • former CIA Director David Petraeus tells @MarkUrban01: “What was achieved today was less than I expected. We’ve all known Russian’s can overwhelm the Ukrainians…but it sounds as if that the Ukrainians have delayed them fairly impressively.” #Newsnight

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1496980652742549504
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,310
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

More to it than technology, Western armies are trained to fight at night.
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

I agree with geoffw. He's overplayed his hand. His people and troops aren't prepared for mass casualties. And he's united NATO.
    The fact that we haven’t heard from the sinister ‘Mr Ed’ is perhaps telling.
  • On any other day, what Starmer did to the SCG and Labour’s Stop the War Putin apologists today would be massive news. No other leader of the party has had such a grip on it since Blair was at his peak (no, that is not me claiming Starmer is Blair 2).

I’m beginning to think he might be.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

If Putin is right about Ukies and Russians being brothers... are Russian soldiers prepared to kill their brothers? Have seen one story about a recon squadron surrendering.
    Quite, though doesn't that go both ways? Neither side is going to be to be gung-ho about killing their near kin, but the aggressor's army will feel the most shame.

• RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

But it's not the bad guys who are getting shot. They're conscripts. It seems a bit off to be celebrating the slaughter of a bunch of young Russians who have no choice.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    edited February 2022

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

The fact that we haven’t heard from the sinister ‘Mr Ed’ is perhaps telling.
    Mr Ed wouldn’t support these Trump statements

Naughty NATO had a *significant* number of aircraft in the airspace of a non-NATO country today. Without permission. For a *long* time. How not to make friends.
    Which non-NATO country and whose friendship are you concerned about losing?

The Marx Left are on the run now. Totally found out for their bonkers beliefs and weird theories of the world where they stand around Trafalgar Square under the hammer and sickle.
    Yokes said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

More to it than technology, Western armies are trained to fight at night.
    Yup - which was why that simulator system they had built a while back was such a big deal. They'd seen the effect of integrated night fighting in the First Gulf War and wanted some of that.
  • I think it's obvious which posters aren't entirely unequivocal in their condemnation of Putin today.
  • #BREAKING: Russia expected to begin large-scale bombardment of Ukrainian capital Kiev around 03:00am Ukraine time- CNN correspondent citing intelligence report

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1496977999006244869

The Marx Left are on the run now. Totally found out for their bonkers beliefs and weird theories of the world where they stand around Trafalgar Square under the hammer and sickle.
    Good, about bloody time.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370

That's true most of the time, but I'm pretty sure there have been one or two cases where a medical condition has been spotted by someone watching TV that hadn't been noticed before.
    Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

But it's not the bad guys who are getting shot. They're conscripts. It seems a bit off to be celebrating the slaughter of a bunch of young Russians who have no choice.
    Who gives a fuck what you think. You were unaware that 4 million Ukrainians died in a genocidal famine, you geriatric old twat

President Biden
    @POTUS

Fair point. I was sceptical. Biden was absolutely right.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    edited February 2022
    I find the idea you need to be a shit to succeed in politics depressing, but also wrong.

In the UK, only Boris is a fully-fledged shit.
    Cameron, Blair, and Wilson were borderline, and for different reasons, Brown. Mostly, British PMs are non-shits. At least in the post-war period.

The US might be less lucky. Obviously Trump, and probably Clinton. But Biden no, nor Obama, nor the Bushes, nor Reagan, Carter or even Ford. Before that, though, a string of shits: Nixon, LBJ, JFK.

France seems to prefer shits.
    Macron is a shit. Sarkozy, Chirac, Mitterrand, d’Estaing - all shits. Hollande not. I don’t have a view on Pompidou, and I am torn about De Gaulle.
    Leon said:

A good thread that generally agrees with the PB consensus, as all good threads should. Putin has over-reached

"How does Putin's war not turn into a protracted insurgency, with infinite supplies of weapons flowing into Ukraine across the border from Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania - all countries protected by NATO? 1/x"

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1496967376486686730?s=20&t=1xiZ8kuYaHtph8fmH3hJRQ

It all depends on whether Ukrainians flee or fight - too early to tell.
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

My guess is he doesn't literally have a big red button, bond villain style, that he can use to activate the nuclear deterrent without his generals being able to refuse the order.

At least, I hope not...
    In the Soviet era and afterwards, they professed to be horrified by the laxity of Western control of nuclear weapons in terms of release. After some early scares in the 60s with field commanders and nukes, they claimed they tightened up massively.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

FPT due to the new thread trap.

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"David Gauke
    @DavidGauke
    How twisted must your world view be that your first response to an unprovoked invasion is to condemn those institutions which seek to offer peace & security to those trying to escape tyranny, rather than condemn the invading tyrant?

Quote Tweet
    Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage
    · 6h
    Well, I was wrong. Putin has gone much further than I thought he would.

A consequence of EU and NATO expansion, which came to a head in 2014. It made no sense to poke the Russian bear with a stick.

These are dark days for Europe.
    1:31 PM · Feb 24, 2022"

https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1496840096577998849

Farage needs calling out for what he is.
    It would be pretty handy if it wasn't the usual suspects doing it.
    Well I have no voice or standing compared to Gauke but I am certainly not one of the usual suspects and I would agree that Farage is behaving like a fuckwit and what he is doing - or rather saying - is close to treasonous. You don't give succour to the enemy in a time of war and for better or worse that is where we are now.
    And, I would second that.

Leon said:

Foxy said:

@visegrad24

To be confirmed.

I doubt if Putin wishes to spend the rest of his life living underground and eating tinned pineapple. So, that's a hollow threat.
This discussion has been closed.