Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s the economy again, stupid – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,088
    We now have Boris Derangement Syndrome Derangement. I thought BDS had died a well deserved death in the face of compelling evidence of Johnson's unfitness for office. Not compelling enough, it appears. Like a zombie BDS springs back to life...
  • Options
    Mr. P, surely the next in line are Charles, William, then William's children?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,462

Sandpit said:

EPG said:

Well. I remember the economic debate since 2011. Every lefty economist followed Paul Krugman into demands for high inflation, saying they wanted to bring down asset prices, encourage real wage growth through raising real demand, and informally default on debts. This was often linked to an anti-German narrative on Greek and Italian debt negotiations, and falsely-named "Keynesian" advocacy for permanent deficit spending in the manner of Gordon Brown. Now we have high inflation, we still have high asset prices, nominal wage growth can't keep up, demand is still suppressed, and just about their only success is that debt is spiralling upward. Those same folks do not seem to be happy with the outcomes nor do they have any new solution (considering tax-and-spend has always been in their preferred toolkit).

The next couple of years are going to be painful, as the world recovers from the pandemic and life gets back to normal.

UK is well placed to recover - the biggest issues at the moment are the supply chain slowdowns and high gas prices thanks to Russia, both of which are getting better. The inflation we are seeing is likely to be transient, and can be dealt with by reverse QE if it looks more persistent.
    This is probably your usual distance thing but our supply chain problems are getting worse, not better. Dover was shut on Friday because the backlog of trucks was causing absolute pandemonium.
    Are you sure it didn't have anything to do with the breezy conditions in the channel?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

The Boris Derangement Syndrome lot don't do themselves any favours blaming Boris for the Queen getting COVID.

You don't help yourself by being wilfully stupid. Nobody blamed BoZo. Here is a Tory MP

Commons Committee chair Caroline Nokes tells T&G the news that the Queen has Covid-19 “makes it tricky” for the Government to end all restrictions this week, "but we have to strike a balance"
    @TimesRadio

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1495388007653949442

You seem to spend a lot of time on Twitter. There are quite a few there blaming Boris.

As for Nokes comment I don’t see why one very wealthy, privileged, individual catching Covid changes anything with regards to ending restrictions. It’s the right thing to do, other nations are opening up. So should we.
    There is utterly no reason whatsoever to postpone Covid changes.

I hope the Queen is OK but she's mortal and her card will be marked one day, whether it be Covid or anything else, we have to trust the vaccines.

If not now, post-three doses of vaccine, then when?
    Indeed, then we have a month of national mourning, then prepare for King Charles' coronation in 6 months as he finally gets the role he has waited his life for at 73.

Hopefully however Her Majesty has a few years left in her but she is 95, she has had as much protection as she can get being double vaccinated and boosted
    Point of order: we get about six hours of national mourning, after which viewers start to ring up the BBC complaining about EastEnders being replaced by Nick Witchell.
    Or you could just put Netflix on and have it be a normal day.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,967
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

The Boris Derangement Syndrome lot don't do themselves any favours blaming Boris for the Queen getting COVID.

There are a lots of things to attack Boris for, but for the millionth time everbody is going to get COVID at some point. With Omicron its too infectious. Unless you want to live like a hermit for the rest of your days, you are going to come into contact with people who have it and then its just a matter of probability.

Given Charles and Camilla have it, and they have been spending time with her, I think its pretty likely she got it off them, so any recent changes to rules is totally mute. Omicron household spread is huge, so unless Boris is going to go back to banning families from ever meeting, its going to happen.

The "derangement syndrome" thing was never that clever or funny, was it?
    I think even Jimmy Carr would struggle to make a joke out of those who are utterly convinced that Boris can do nothing right and that the UK is responsible for every world problem that comes along. Although personally, I do find the Boris is just lucky in his opponents meme mildly amusing.
    Very odd. Do you dispute that he is lazy and a liar, or just not mind? Would you employ him?
    To do what? He is a natural salesman. I also don't think that he is particularly lazy. As a PM, probably not.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,009
    edited February 2022
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

You don't help yourself by being wilfully stupid. Nobody blamed BoZo. Here is a Tory MP

Commons Committee chair Caroline Nokes tells T&G the news that the Queen has Covid-19 “makes it tricky” for the Government to end all restrictions this week, "but we have to strike a balance"
    @TimesRadio

You seem to spend a lot of time on Twitter. There are quite a few there blaming Boris.

As for Nokes comment I don’t see why one very wealthy, privileged, individual catching Covid changes anything with regards to ending restrictions. It’s the right thing to do, other nations are opening up. So should we.

I hope the Queen is OK but she's mortal and her card will be marked one day, whether it be Covid or anything else, we have to trust the vaccines.

Indeed, then we have a month of national mourning, then prepare for King Charles' coronation in 6 months as he finally gets the role he has waited his life for at 73.

Hopefully however Her Majesty has a few years left in her but she is 95, she has had as much protection as she can get being double vaccinated and boosted
    Point of order: we get about six hours of national mourning, after which viewers start to ring up the BBC complaining about EastEnders being replaced by Nick Witchell.
    Tough. I want full Iranian style national mourning when the Queen dies.

I want sombre music on every radio station and wall to wall coverage on all the main freeview channels until her funeral is over. I also want shops shut throughout the day of her funeral.

Anyone who complains gets sent to the Tower., that would also help weed out republicans. After all, what else did we elect a Tory government for?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761

LIVE: Storm Franklin at London Heathrow Airport
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-7TzJ1bO5w

Not quite as exciting as Friday, but I do see that Big Jet guy managed to find some sponsorship for his channel!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,531

Vice President Kamala Harris, echoing President Joe Biden's comments Friday, tells CNN's @NatashaBertrand in Munich "We believe that Putin has made his decision, period," to invade Ukraine, adding "nothing's being held back" in sharing intelligence with allies.

https://twitter.com/DJJudd/status/1495356066854547456

*off topic, though great to have a TSE thread again

Is it really all down to Putin making his mind up? If it was London or Washington and rest of war bunker said no, it wouldn’t matter what the leaders preference was? Why would it be different in Moscow? What I’m practically saying is, if Putin, and those agreeing with him were asked by the generals, what’s the clarity of the mission we can achieve and withdraw without it being open ended or creeping into something else, and Putin and his allies can’t convincingly define that, then surely it won’t happen?

If at some point the Ukraine leadership want a face to face with Russian counterpart’s, what would the Ukrainians hope to get from that? They would use it just to emphasise how belligerent their position is, like how Liz Truss used her Moscow trip?

These are two good questions for this latest Sunday in pre war build up?
    Although Igor the Incinerator (Putin’s likely successor if the worst happened to Putin this week) is no doubt on side with sabre rattling to get Donetsk up everyone’s agenda, and dialogue on it not kicked into long grass like any criminal investigation into Boris Johnson, I’m not convinced Igor is on side with invasion, because Surely there’s internal politics and factions on things within Moscow government too, and Igors already allowed unease of generals to seep like a message into world news?

Why do I think Igor as successor? Is this not the same path which brought Putin into the job? What do we know about Igor? His take on pursuing Greater Russian Nationalism from behind his desk at GRU has been brazen, merciless and blood thirsty, like a dalek, he’s likely to be far worse than Putin to deal with especially if he’s been courting the military these past years. ☹️
    Ukrainians - "emphasise how belligerent their position is" ???? Since when is "Don't invaded my country" belligerent?

Like Napoleon, Putin has to manage a coalition of power brokers behind him. He is riding a tiger, which can eat him at any time.

A successor to Putin is not predictable. Putin himself was supposed to be a puppet figurehead, who got out of control.

In Paraguay, General Rodríguez overthrew Stroessner. Rodríguez was corrupt and a fully paid up member of the goose-stepping military.

He freed the political prisoners, unbanned the opposition, introduced real democracy, and stepped down after one term as elected (genuinely) president. Then died. People are still going WTF??
    *off topic because of world war three

“ People are still going WTF?” I love that example because it is so optimistic.

I’m not so convinced though Malmsy. These people that come out the CHECKA, KGB, you can’t reason with them. You can’t think, what puts pressure on me we will apply to them. I don’t want to come over all neecher but They are like Daleks, they have had pityand mercy removed. They can’t see the bigger picture like we can. Can’t say to them, your people like my people, they want security, they want a decent home, decent job, come in from work the kids are doing the homework, someone cutting carrots at window, decent infrastructure, decent education, decent hospitals - you can’t say this to them, they haven’t clue what you are babbling about, they have spent their life in a basement shooting intelligentsia like you in the head with a bullet, playing tinker tailor solider spy.

Is it like you sez we know how Putin ticks he’s a greater Russian nationalist. Or is he less emotional than that, a Dalek that only cares bout legacy? Because on his watch his legacy of greater Russia has shrunk, the autonomous bits of old Soviet Union, led by leaders who are not conditioned by being checka their whole life, look westerwards for investment, commerce, wealth and comfort and security for their people.

I do apologise for this gonzo, I have been polishing off the wine box. We normally go out Sunday afternoon, but I said I would do a beef bourguigiynionnon. So you got me all after noon. 😦
    Not all ex-KGB are arseholes. Remember that 98% of them are office drones, as well.

"they want security, they want a decent home, decent job, come in from work the kids are doing the homework, someone cutting carrots at window, decent infrastructure, decent education, decent hospitals" - that is what drove the collapse of the Soviet Union, and the creation of Putin. Someone who can deliver....

If Putinism stops delivering.... well the next chap might try real reform....
    Or be a merciless dalek nationalist job. It can go two ways can’t it?
    Putin is the merciless dalek nationalist job Anyone further down the tinpot dictator scale will make Russia into a joke quite rapidly.

Putin's thing *was* rational control of the corruption plus nationalism. The problem is that, even when there are vast amounts of money to steal, the wheels come off eventually - the slower rate of theft just makes it last longer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

pigeon said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Inflation is a problem but Sunak's rebate for gas and electricity consumers in the autumn should help. Most of the swing voters who might go to Labour over the economy and NI rise have likely already gone, the 34% still voting Tory will generally do so regardless as they are conservative in the culture wars, ie almost all Leavers and anti Covid restrictions and sceptical of Wokeism.

As for MPs pay, other public sector workers have had a rise so no reason they should be exempt

I'm not wholly convinced - the elderly are also influenced by what their children and grandchildren tell them. If they start hearing real economic hardship within their families, it may yet count against Sunak and the Conservatives.

Up to now, the cash savings accumulated by many middle class households during the virus has cushioned the blow of inflation but those reserves will be consumed by overpriced holidays and a return to full-blooded consumption which in turn which help fuel more inflation.

My local Tesco's now at 143.9p for petrol - 4p off its all time high just before the 2008 financial crash when oil prices were much higher (but of course sterling hadn't had the post-Referendum devaluation).

The other problem is a 2% inflation and 5% wage rises keeps everyone happy - it doesn't work so well the other way and savings rates remain miserably low. Try seeing what an ISA or Premium Bonds will get you these days.
    Well, the hardship of the young hasn't melted the hearts of the old yet, so we shall see.

The key factor for the Tory core vote is continual house price inflation: the middle class elderly accumulate asset wealth, which they (and the heirs) expect to be passed down the generations as close to intact as possible. If the Tories want to make sure that all the olds turn out to bolster their support at the next election, they should go into it with a headline promise to scrap inheritance tax, backed up by more bribes for pensioners.
    Well the young seem to think the old have had everything handed them on a platter and have little concern for the hardships they have suffered so it’s cuts both ways. House price inflation in many parts of the country is negligible or only a recent phenomenon.

The Tories need to expand home ownership as far as they can. Their future depends on it.
    As long as most of the country are home owners it doesn't.

North of Watford properties are much cheaper to buy anyway, even for those on average salaries, hence the Tories made almost all their gains in 2019 there.

In London and the South inheritance and parental assistance will continue to help the young on average salaries there get on the property ladder.

Building affordable homes in the brownbelt to buy (not buy to let) will help but building too much in the greenbelt will just turn off the Tory core vote and turn much of it LD.

Getting young people to buy property is also not a guarantee of a Tory win, Blair won most of those with mortgages for example
    People getting inheritance at average 61 does not help the young but means more sixty somethings go down the buy to let route as suddenly get spare cash and we do not teach people how to invest in the stock market in the UK.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, in May's defence, an unholy alliance between Conservatives sceptical of the EU and Labour MPs who really liked it was not necessarily an intelligent move on the latter's part.

She might have expected abstention, but pro-EU MPs sinking a pro-EU deal (and lining up alongside those who hold diametrically opposing views of said institution) is what ended up happening.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,642

IshmaelZ said:

There are a lots of things to attack Boris for, but for the millionth time everbody is going to get COVID at some point. With Omicron its too infectious. Unless you want to live like a hermit for the rest of your days, you are going to come into contact with people who have it and then its just a matter of probability.

Given Charles and Camilla have it, and they have been spending time with her, I think its pretty likely she got it off them, so any recent changes to rules is totally mute. Omicron household spread is huge, so unless Boris is going to go back to banning families from ever meeting, its going to happen.

I am no fan of Boris. I was one of the people on here who argued against him getting the top job, the discussions often getting heated with the Boris Fans. I didn't vote for him, and won't.

Having said that, there is a BDS. People who are driven so mad by Boris that they assert almost godly powers of malice to him, whilst also saying he is an incompetent buffoon. Sane people who lose all sense of reason whenever Boris is mentioned.
    It's not complicated, he is a sociopath who is extremely competent at political tactics but extremely incompetent as at making the country better. Probably because he is interested in the former but not the latter.
    What clinical evidence do you have that he is a "Sociopath"?

I mean, the guy's a joke, but if you say he is one, then I fear many politicians would fall under the same banner...
    Not a professional but here is a list of characteristic traits:

https://www.health.com/condition/antisocial-personality-disorder/sociopath-traits

Lack of empathy: Smirks at Starmer death threats
    Difficult Relationships: Not sure you need examples here but can provide many if you really want me to
    Manipulativeness: See above
    Deceitfulness: See above
    Callousness: Let the bodies pile high
    Hostility: Facial expressions at PMQ
    Irresponsibility: Guppy
    Impulsivity: Frequent affairs
    Risky Behaviour: See above

Seems pretty clear cut to a layman.

Estimates are 3-4% of males are sociopaths, and they will definitely be drawn to politics and suited to it. So yes many of the top politicians will be sociopaths but far from all or even the majority.
    I have great issues with people (even experts) making medical diagnoses over t'Internet - especially when they are negative and about someone that they dislike.

I'd also argue that some of those traits are almost part of the job description for a top politician, who has to trade off many factors in making a decision. It does not necessarily mean that they are a sociopath.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,823
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

I want sombre music on every radio station and wall to wall coverage on all the main freeview channels until her funeral is over. I also want shops shut throughout the day of her funeral.

Anyone who complains gets sent to the Tower., that would also help weed out republicans. After all, what else did we elect a Tory government for?
    Republican here. Come and fucking get me, tank boy.
  • Options
    On topic I think the government may have made a mistake in claiming credit for the "high wage economy" last autumn as it also gets associated with inflation. Particularly if the government then tells people not to ask for wage increases.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,343
    DavidL said:

He is a natural salesman. I also don't think that he is particularly lazy.

If you employed him as a salesman, you would quickly be overrun with customers complaining that none of the stuff he promised them actually worked

He only started working when he was threatened with the sack
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,021
    edited February 2022

Vice President Kamala Harris, echoing President Joe Biden's comments Friday, tells CNN's @NatashaBertrand in Munich "We believe that Putin has made his decision, period," to invade Ukraine, adding "nothing's being held back" in sharing intelligence with allies.

Is it really all down to Putin making his mind up? If it was London or Washington and rest of war bunker said no, it wouldn’t matter what the leaders preference was? Why would it be different in Moscow? What I’m practically saying is, if Putin, and those agreeing with him were asked by the generals, what’s the clarity of the mission we can achieve and withdraw without it being open ended or creeping into something else, and Putin and his allies can’t convincingly define that, then surely it won’t happen?

If at some point the Ukraine leadership want a face to face with Russian counterpart’s, what would the Ukrainians hope to get from that? They would use it just to emphasise how belligerent their position is, like how Liz Truss used her Moscow trip?

Although Igor the Incinerator (Putin’s likely successor if the worst happened to Putin this week) is no doubt on side with sabre rattling to get Donetsk up everyone’s agenda, and dialogue on it not kicked into long grass like any criminal investigation into Boris Johnson, I’m not convinced Igor is on side with invasion, because Surely there’s internal politics and factions on things within Moscow government too, and Igors already allowed unease of generals to seep like a message into world news?

Why do I think Igor as successor? Is this not the same path which brought Putin into the job? What do we know about Igor? His take on pursuing Greater Russian Nationalism from behind his desk at GRU has been brazen, merciless and blood thirsty, like a dalek, he’s likely to be far worse than Putin to deal with especially if he’s been courting the military these past years. ☹️
    Ukrainians - "emphasise how belligerent their position is" ???? Since when is "Don't invaded my country" belligerent?

Like Napoleon, Putin has to manage a coalition of power brokers behind him. He is riding a tiger, which can eat him at any time.

A successor to Putin is not predictable. Putin himself was supposed to be a puppet figurehead, who got out of control.

In Paraguay, General Rodríguez overthrew Stroessner. Rodríguez was corrupt and a fully paid up member of the goose-stepping military.

He freed the political prisoners, unbanned the opposition, introduced real democracy, and stepped down after one term as elected (genuinely) president. Then died. People are still going WTF??

I’m not so convinced though Malmsy. These people that come out the CHECKA, KGB, you can’t reason with them. You can’t think, what puts pressure on me we will apply to them. I don’t want to come over all neecher but They are like Daleks, they have had pityand mercy removed. They can’t see the bigger picture like we can. Can’t say to them, your people like my people, they want security, they want a decent home, decent job, come in from work the kids are doing the homework, someone cutting carrots at window, decent infrastructure, decent education, decent hospitals - you can’t say this to them, they haven’t clue what you are babbling about, they have spent their life in a basement shooting intelligentsia like you in the head with a bullet, playing tinker tailor solider spy.

Is it like you sez we know how Putin ticks he’s a greater Russian nationalist. Or is he less emotional than that, a Dalek that only cares bout legacy? Because on his watch his legacy of greater Russia has shrunk, the autonomous bits of old Soviet Union, led by leaders who are not conditioned by being checka their whole life, look westerwards for investment, commerce, wealth and comfort and security for their people.

I do apologise for this gonzo, I have been polishing off the wine box. We normally go out Sunday afternoon, but I said I would do a beef bourguigiynionnon. So you got me all after noon. 😦
    Not all ex-KGB are arseholes. Remember that 98% of them are office drones, as well.

"they want security, they want a decent home, decent job, come in from work the kids are doing the homework, someone cutting carrots at window, decent infrastructure, decent education, decent hospitals" - that is what drove the collapse of the Soviet Union, and the creation of Putin. Someone who can deliver....

The Daleks are, of course, a metaphor for Nazism.

The cyber men are communists.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

My style of Tories believe in free choice and people being able to decide for themselves, rather than the state telling them what to think or what to believe.

That's what I elected a Tory government for. Not your socialist dogmatism, where the state gets into everyone's business.

Thank goodness this is 2022 and the idea of watching Freeview belongs well and truly in the past. Just like you.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,116

City losing to Spurs and now United currently failing to beat a team that belong in the Championship at best.

Good weekend for Manchester. 😆

The whole of Lancashire and everything in it is naff Bart.
    With the addition of whoever threw that coin 😠
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

they assert almost godly powers of malice to him, whilst also saying he is an incompetent buffoon.

He is malicious. There is no evidence to the contrary.

He is an incompetent buffoon. There is no evidence to the contrary.

The fact he is PM is due to his buffoonery, not his competence.
    The fact he is PM, is entirely down to the Remoaner mob in Parliament who wouldn’t accept Mrs May’s deal.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

It will be interesting seeing what happens to pay rises during the next few months.

Anecdotally people I know have been getting the biggest pay rises they've had for decades - though in some cases this might not match their cost of living increases.

For those who live within their means and save plentifully each month a significant pay rise is perhaps nice psychologically.

Some employers will be forced to give rises because they calculate it's the best way to stop skilled workers handing in their notices and going elsewhere; others will plead poverty and dig their heels in. I'm on record predicting a rise in strike action against stingy bosses later in the year, but stand to be corrected by events, of course.
    Its possible but employers who do not give pay rises will find it even harder to keep their workers when other employers do so.

So expect more middle class demands for working class pay restrictions and whining of "the locals aren't willing to do the work" variety.
    We've reached the point where the middle class will be wanting and needing pay rises as much as the less well-off. Calls for restraint are now restricted to the outright wealthy, who we should all burn at the stake politely refuse to listen to.
    It was rather amusing to see the middle class whining about pay rises for delivery drivers needing to be earned by productivity increases.

Productivity increases never being a requirement for middle class pay increases.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

they assert almost godly powers of malice to him, whilst also saying he is an incompetent buffoon.

The fact he is PM is that he positioned himself well so that he got enough support to get the job. Sadly, he got a team behind him that supported his candidature, and built a winning team: both for the party leadership and the '19 GE. That is political competence. Quite ruthless competence at times.

So whilst I'd argue he's a clown, he's also highly competent and the things that matter to get the top job. It's the 'clown' side of his personality that has let to self-inflicted damages such as the No. 10 parties.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

pigeon said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Inflation is a problem but Sunak's rebate for gas and electricity consumers in the autumn should help. Most of the swing voters who might go to Labour over the economy and NI rise have likely already gone, the 34% still voting Tory will generally do so regardless as they are conservative in the culture wars, ie almost all Leavers and anti Covid restrictions and sceptical of Wokeism.

As for MPs pay, other public sector workers have had a rise so no reason they should be exempt

I'm not wholly convinced - the elderly are also influenced by what their children and grandchildren tell them. If they start hearing real economic hardship within their families, it may yet count against Sunak and the Conservatives.

Up to now, the cash savings accumulated by many middle class households during the virus has cushioned the blow of inflation but those reserves will be consumed by overpriced holidays and a return to full-blooded consumption which in turn which help fuel more inflation.

My local Tesco's now at 143.9p for petrol - 4p off its all time high just before the 2008 financial crash when oil prices were much higher (but of course sterling hadn't had the post-Referendum devaluation).

The other problem is a 2% inflation and 5% wage rises keeps everyone happy - it doesn't work so well the other way and savings rates remain miserably low. Try seeing what an ISA or Premium Bonds will get you these days.
    Well, the hardship of the young hasn't melted the hearts of the old yet, so we shall see.

The key factor for the Tory core vote is continual house price inflation: the middle class elderly accumulate asset wealth, which they (and the heirs) expect to be passed down the generations as close to intact as possible. If the Tories want to make sure that all the olds turn out to bolster their support at the next election, they should go into it with a headline promise to scrap inheritance tax, backed up by more bribes for pensioners.

The Tories need to expand home ownership as far as they can. Their future depends on it.
    Would be a huge vote winner with an entire disenfranchised generation.

Trouble is, it means massive building and that means in places where NIMBY tories don't want them. I don't see a solution without going onto brownfield AND greenfield sites.

Too many people chasing too few goods is basic A level economics but it holds good for an island which is small and over-populated.

The other solution is to turn Britain into such a shitshow that people won't want to live here anymore. Oh wait ...
    One of the big vote winners for the Lib Dems in Chesham was opposing housing development. There are plenty of homes available for reasonable prices but they are not where the people want to make a,life.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,315
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

The fact he is PM, is entirely down to the Remoaner mob in Parliament who wouldn’t accept Mrs May’s deal.
    Entirely is a stretch, but it was definitely a major factor in the circumstances that gave him the opportunity.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

pigeon said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Trouble is, it means massive building and that means in places where NIMBY tories don't want them. I don't see a solution without going onto brownfield AND greenfield sites.

Too many people chasing too few goods is basic A level economics but it holds good for an island which is small and over-populated.

The other solution is to turn Britain into such a shitshow that people won't want to live here anymore. Oh wait ...
    One of the big vote winners for the Lib Dems in Chesham was opposing housing development. There are plenty of homes available for reasonable prices but they are not where the people want to make a,life.
    There aren't that many homes available at reasonable prices. The population of the UK has increased by nearly 20% in recent years but the housing supply hasn't. The idea of plenty of spare houses being available is a very bad joke.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I am no fan of Boris. I was one of the people on here who argued against him getting the top job, the discussions often getting heated with the Boris Fans. I didn't vote for him, and won't.

Having said that, there is a BDS. People who are driven so mad by Boris that they assert almost godly powers of malice to him, whilst also saying he is an incompetent buffoon. Sane people who lose all sense of reason whenever Boris is mentioned.
    It's not complicated, he is a sociopath who is extremely competent at political tactics but extremely incompetent as at making the country better. Probably because he is interested in the former but not the latter.

I mean, the guy's a joke, but if you say he is one, then I fear many politicians would fall under the same banner...

https://www.health.com/condition/antisocial-personality-disorder/sociopath-traits

Difficult Relationships: Not sure you need examples here but can provide many if you really want me to

Estimates are 3-4% of males are sociopaths, and they will definitely be drawn to politics and suited to it. So yes many of the top politicians will be sociopaths but far from all or even the majority.
    I have great issues with people (even experts) making medical diagnoses over t'Internet - especially when they are negative and about someone that they dislike.

I'd also argue that some of those traits are almost part of the job description for a top politician, who has to trade off many factors in making a decision. It does not necessarily mean that they are a sociopath.
    Fair enough. I think comment on the PMs personality is reasonable, not least because he has no problem maligning someone else with lies from a powerful platform whereas I am an anonymous unimportant random on a small website. I think it is also close to necessary to effectively get to the bottom of probabilities in British politics which is the nominal raison d'etre of the site.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,903
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

pigeon said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Well the young seem to think the old have had everything handed them on a platter and have little concern for the hardships they have suffered so it’s cuts both ways. House price inflation in many parts of the country is negligible or only a recent phenomenon.

As long as most of the country are home owners it doesn't.

North of Watford properties are much cheaper to buy anyway, even for those on average salaries, hence the Tories made almost all their gains in 2019 there.

In London and the South inheritance and parental assistance will continue to help the young on average salaries there get on the property ladder.

Building affordable homes in the brownbelt to buy (not buy to let) will help but building too much in the greenbelt will just turn off the Tory core vote and turn much of it LD.

Getting young people to buy property is also not a guarantee of a Tory win, Blair won most of those with mortgages for example
    The differences between the south and the north in house prices are absolutely shocking. I just had a valuation on our flat here in the SE and it has doubled in price since we bought it 6 years ago. I realised that I could sell the flat and live almost anywhere I want in the country outside the south east in almost any type of house. The totally insane element of it is wages in London are now the same in my industry as in the midlands and the north. As for the local population, they stand no chance, which is really sad - landlords are selling up due to excessive regulation, poor people who never bought anywhere just get displaced. Part of this is localised gentrification and a covid inspired outflux from London, but still, it feels very unsettling and immoral.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think even Jimmy Carr would struggle to make a joke out of those who are utterly convinced that Boris can do nothing right and that the UK is responsible for every world problem that comes along. Although personally, I do find the Boris is just lucky in his opponents meme mildly amusing.
    Very odd. Do you dispute that he is lazy and a liar, or just not mind? Would you employ him?
    To do what? He is a natural salesman. I also don't think that he is particularly lazy. As a PM, probably not.
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

He may be a natural salesman. He is also a liar. He was too lazy to read his brief about nzr and too lazy to write a proper speech for the CBI.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Good japes!

It's going to be wall to wall for at least a week, and yes, people will complain about it, but it's a one off so I am sure people will manage.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,408
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Based on recent experience, you'll get a law forcing the population to go around in black burqas for an entire year, whilst Johnson and his staff work their way through the contents of the Buck House wine cellar and snort cocaine off the backs of whores for the duration.

Or something.
  • Options

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

It will be interesting seeing what happens to pay rises during the next few months.

Anecdotally people I know have been getting the biggest pay rises they've had for decades - though in some cases this might not match their cost of living increases.

For those who live within their means and save plentifully each month a significant pay rise is perhaps nice psychologically.

Some employers will be forced to give rises because they calculate it's the best way to stop skilled workers handing in their notices and going elsewhere; others will plead poverty and dig their heels in. I'm on record predicting a rise in strike action against stingy bosses later in the year, but stand to be corrected by events, of course.
    Its possible but employers who do not give pay rises will find it even harder to keep their workers when other employers do so.

So expect more middle class demands for working class pay restrictions and whining of "the locals aren't willing to do the work" variety.
    We've reached the point where the middle class will be wanting and needing pay rises as much as the less well-off. Calls for restraint are now restricted to the outright wealthy, who we should all burn at the stake politely refuse to listen to.
    It was rather amusing to see the middle class whining about pay rises for delivery drivers needing to be earned by productivity increases.

Productivity increases never being a requirement for middle class pay increases.
    Bloody good thing too. It's our reward for all that class anxiety the middle classes have which the upper and working classes don't feel.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,289
    This is such a wonderful story. People like this are just the very best of humanity.

https://news.sky.com/story/vicky-wright-how-nurse-who-worked-on-covid-frontline-became-olympic-curling-champion-12547019

It's also why Johnson has had it at the election.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,343

That is political competence. Quite ruthless competence at times.

He is ruthless. Malicious.

But that is not competence.

He culled every potential challenger (ruthless) and now has the weakest cabinet in history (incompetent)

He prorogued Parliament (ruthless) illegally (incompetent)

He is entirely reliant on people liking him (buffoon). Nobody thinks he is actually any good at it, not even the cabinet ministers debasing themselves on TV
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Boris is pretty energetic when it comes to doing things he likes doing, less so when its things he's not interested in.

Now we're all like that to varying extents but our failings aren't as important or visible as those of Boris.

Which is why Boris needed to surround himself with capable people capable of doing the things he wasn't interested in and also, as much as possible, keep him on the 'straight and narrow'.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,354
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

26th May 2024 is the key date, I believe, when she would surpass Louis XIV reign, to be the longest-reigning Monarch of a sovereign state. She'd be 98 by then.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Disagree with your second point. Other politicians (except Trump) are not like Johnson in his sociopathic characteristics, if that's what they are. That's why Johnson is unfit for office whereas the main alternatives to Johnson would be OK.

So Johnson lacks empathy, makes no distinction between right and wrong, takes no responsibility for his actions, is an impulsive liar, can be aggressive and indulges in risky behaviour. Those are characteristics of a sociopath. We don't need to diagnose his clinical condition. We can simply say those characteristics make him uniquely unfit for office.

• Options

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Boris is pretty energetic when it comes to doing things he likes doing, less so when its things he's not interested in.

Now we're all like that to varying extents but our failings aren't as important or visible as those of Boris.

Which is why Boris needed to surround himself with capable people capable of doing the things he wasn't interested in and also, as much as possible, keep him on the 'straight and narrow'.
    Personally, i think it's pretty scary that Johnson may soon be in charge of the UK's end of war in Ukraine. His lack of focus and attention detail and avoidance of work will really show in a fast moving, complex theatre of war.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Perhaps a few executions of dissidents by way of commemoration, also some ladies in waiting entombed with HRH to accompany her to the afterlife?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    FF43 said:

We now have Boris Derangement Syndrome Derangement. I thought BDS had died a well deserved death in the face of compelling evidence of Johnson's unfitness for office. Not compelling enough, it appears. Like a zombie BDS springs back to life...

Do you think Boris is responsible for the Queen getting COVID? If yes, you've got problems.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

I am sorry. This is nonsense. Johnson is PM because Brexiteers selected him and voted for him.
  • Options

Putin is the merciless dalek nationalist job Anyone further down the tinpot dictator scale will make Russia into a joke quite rapidly.

Putin's thing *was* rational control of the corruption plus nationalism. The problem is that, even when there are vast amounts of money to steal, the wheels come off eventually - the slower rate of theft just makes it last longer.
    We’ll just have to shakes hands to agree to disagree on this one then. “ Not all ex-KGB are arseholes.” anyone whose day job is support state murder is worse than a aresehole, they are not even human beings. A leader coming out the GRU my odds are no dovish than Putin 😕

“ Since when is "Don't invaded my country" belligerent? ”. I agree with that, but my point was the opposite, Ukraine are seeking face to face talks, they wouldn’t do that just to restate their firmness, but concede something under pressure?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,518
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Good japes!

It's going to be wall to wall for at least a week, and yes, people will complain about it, but it's a one off so I am sure people will manage.
    Interestingly, there was a discussion about getting insurance at our recent Dart Music Festival Committee Meeting. One of the things we are having to look at is an additional sum to cover the death of HM the Queen. In the event of it happening, everything - and I mean everything - closes down for three days. Including our free Festival.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,232
    Hope we get some more opinion polls tonight. It'll be interesting to see if the narrowing between the parties continues.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

Do you think Boris is responsible for the Queen getting COVID? If yes, you've got problems.
    He's as responsible for it as Starmer is for Savile not getting charged ;)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Entirely is a stretch, but it was definitely a major factor in the circumstances that gave him the opportunity.
    Okay, a little poetic licence, but if the opposition had let the deal pass, it would have torn the Conservative party in half and we’d almost certainly now still be effectively in the EU (thanks to the ‘backstop’) and with a Labour government.

But they decided instead, that they still had an opportunity to overturn the whole thing, but were too frit to explicitly vote for another referendum, so we got another Parliament instead, with many of them missing.
  • Options
    In other news, Camden's night life is back. Been out there Friday last week with my friends and then again yesterday with my wife's friends. Bars and pubs are all packed, not many people milling about outdoors but everywhere had queues to get in, The Underworld has been refurbished and you can wear canvas shoes risk free and use the gents.

Londoners have got their confidence back. What I don't see as much is out of towners like people from Essex heading into Liverpool Street on Fridays for a night in one of Leicester Square's more commercial bars/clubs. Hopefully as we head into the summer this crowd will be back too, despite the fights/piss/rowdiness London needs the two sizes too small polo shirt wearing crowd.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Disagree with your second point. Other politicians (except Trump) are not like Johnson in his sociopathic characteristics, if that's what they are. That's why Johnson is unfit for office whereas the main alternatives to Johnson would be OK.

So Johnson lacks empathy, makes no distinction between right and wrong, takes no responsibility for his actions, is an impulsive liar, can be aggressive and indulges in risky behaviour. Those are characteristics of a sociopath. We don't need to diagnose his clinical condition. We can simply say those characteristics make him uniquely unfit for office.
    Okay, I'll go there: any Communist is psychopathic.

Anybody who supports a system that has bought so much evil to the world exhibits exactly the same traits, with added self-delusion that they're making the world a better place, and it'll all work out 'next time' ... ;)
  • Options

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Personally, i think it's pretty scary that Johnson may soon be in charge of the UK's end of war in Ukraine. His lack of focus and attention detail and avoidance of work will really show in a fast moving, complex theatre of war.
    UK troops are not getting involved and if Russia invade Ukrainian loyalists are hardly likely to be awaiting the instructions of our PM. The biggest thing we can do to make a difference is greater control of money from Russian billionaires. We obviously won't do that as they provide cash to politicians, not to mention helping keep the housing bubble spinning.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,941

City losing to Spurs and now United currently failing to beat a team that belong in the Championship at best.

Good weekend for Manchester. 😆

Aged well, just sayin'
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't think that holds. If May had got her deal through with Labour votes the Brexit Spartans would have axed her and installed Boris anyway. There was only ever one path with Brexit - the TCA.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Taz said:

Occasionally a post comes along that shakes my very understanding of all I’ve ever understood 😟
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

In other news, Camden's night life is back. Been out there Friday last week with my friends and then again yesterday with my wife's friends. Bars and pubs are all packed, not many people milling about outdoors but everywhere had queues to get in, The Underworld has been refurbished and you can wear canvas shoes risk free and use the gents.

Londoners have got their confidence back. What I don't see as much is out of towners like people from Essex heading into Liverpool Street on Fridays for a night in one of Leicester Square's more commercial bars/clubs. Hopefully as we head into the summer this crowd will be back too, despite the fights/piss/rowdiness London needs the two sizes too small polo shirt wearing crowd.

Having travelled into London from Woking yesterday, I don't think it's a surprise people from out of town weren't in London in big numbers yesterday!

But I caught the Vic line from Highbury and Islington to Oxford Circus long after the football crowd had gone and it was rammed.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,941
    MaxPB said:

Report from Stratford-onAvon where we went to see a very good Much Ado earlier this week :- restaurants and hotels surviving, but only just. Foreign tourism is still non-existant.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

pigeon said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yep, wait for the Tories’ campaign against them at the next election.

The party of NIMBY, the have-already, of pulling up the ladder behind them, the party of those endless Guardian op-eds more concerned about the cost of their domestic help, than of decent opportunities for those who grew up in the town. It’s going to be brutal.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hope we get some more opinion polls tonight. It'll be interesting to see if the narrowing between the parties continues.

The conservatives haven’t broken 35 for a long while. Concept of narrowing is shaving off the Labour lead, partly offset by greens being a tad high in polls, but more importantly, shaving bits off labour share is disguising what progress they are making at the moment convincing everyday people they are ready for government.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Having travelled into London from Woking yesterday, I don't think it's a surprise people from out of town weren't in London in big numbers yesterday!

But I caught the Vic line from Highbury and Islington to Oxford Circus long after the football crowd had gone and it was rammed.
    Yesterday the trains were stuffed. I had no trains to Woking (or Waterloo) until at least 1:30 and then decided to do something else. I presume they were back running some time in the afternoon/evening but I imagine a lot of people would have decided not to risk it.
  • Options

FF43 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Anybody who supports a system that has bought so much evil to the world exhibits exactly the same traits, with added self-delusion that they're making the world a better place, and it'll all work out 'next time' ... ;)
    You are Angela Rayner and I claim my sheet of state-subsidised bread tokens.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Report from Stratford-onAvon where we went to see a very good Much Ado earlier this week :- restaurants and hotels surviving, but only just. Foreign tourism is still non-existant.
    I think the government made a mistake to not recognise EU biometric ID cards for entry to the UK. More than anything else this is going to hurt the cheap provincial routes from small European cities to small UK cities. There's a really London centric view in Westminster and losing ID card only tourists to London is no big deal but I read somewhere that in smaller airports Europeans turning up with biometric ID cards accounted for up to half of all foreign arrivals.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Yesterday the trains were stuffed. I had no trains to Woking (or Waterloo) until at least 1:30 and then decided to do something else. I presume they were back running some time in the afternoon/evening but I imagine a lot of people would have decided not to risk it.
    Trains were running between Woking and Waterloo, so we decided to go that way. My friends got to Woking station before the rest of us to say that SWR were refusing to sell tickets and let people on the station as "they couldn't guarantee that we'd get home", which I thought was utterly stupid.

So we all made our way to the Piccadilly Line but the car parks at Hatton Cross, Hounslow West and Osterley were full. My friends did well to find street parking at Boston Manor, but we ended up at Acton East. I was in my seat at the Emirates for 15:02.

Oh, and the trains were running out of Waterloo last night.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,293
    Serious question, how high do we think interest rates can go? Surely at this point a raise of more than, say, 1%, is going to put a lot of people in pain when their mortgages are up for renewal. Also it increases the cost of debt servicing for the government.

But while a 1% or even a 2% raise in interest rates is going to cause enormous financial pain, it doesn't seem like it will make a dent in 7% inflation. So what's the end game? Keeping interest rates low and inflating the debt away?
  • Options

FF43 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Your second statement is wrong on the facts. There are plenty of supporters of Communism who are nice people just as there are nice Conservatives, including on this board, even though they support a party led by a irresponsible liar, which they personally are not, at all.

I agree with you up to a point. It isn't particularly helpful to do clinical diagnosis over the internet. Let's just stick with what we know about Johnson's personality. That damns him enough.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Good japes!

Interestingly, there was a discussion about getting insurance at our recent Dart Music Festival Committee Meeting. One of the things we are having to look at is an additional sum to cover the death of HM the Queen. In the event of it happening, everything - and I mean everything - closes down for three days. Including our free Festival.
    The vast majority of people in the UK, who have lived there all their lives, have never experienced the death of a monarch before. Between the death and the funeral, there won’t be a lot going on, the country will be utterly shocked in a way that’s never been experienced by anyone under 70.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,932

Taz said:

Occasionally a post comes along that shakes my very understanding of all I’ve ever understood 😟
    Is it the Green Death?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Good japes!

The vast majority of people in the UK, who have lived there all their lives, have never experienced the death of a monarch before. Between the death and the funeral, there won’t be a lot going on, the country will be utterly shocked in a way that’s never been experienced by anyone under 70.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not going to make any difference to my life. Apart from making my arguments for the abolition of the monarchy just a fraction more palatable to the public.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't think that holds. If May had got her deal through with Labour votes the Brexit Spartans would have axed her and installed Boris anyway. There was only ever one path with Brexit - the TCA.
    She’d already won the vote of confidence, and was safe for another year from that type of challenge. It would have been most of the Parliamentary Brexit-supporters leaving the party, rather than the Remain supporters.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Taz said:

Is it the Green Death?
    I had to look that up 😃
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Good japes!

I experienced the death of The King. Punk rock took the edge off it thankfully.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    kyf_100 said:

Serious question, how high do we think interest rates can go? Surely at this point a raise of more than, say, 1%, is going to put a lot of people in pain when their mortgages are up for renewal. Also it increases the cost of debt servicing for the government.

But while a 1% or even a 2% raise in interest rates is going to cause enormous financial pain, it doesn't seem like it will make a dent in 7% inflation. So what's the end game? Keeping interest rates low and inflating the debt away?

Hence why I think an election with inflation as a big issue would be rather curious. The last PM to successfully tackle inflation isn't particularly liked by Labour.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Good japes!

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not going to make any difference to my life. Apart from making my arguments for the abolition of the monarchy just a fraction more palatable to the public.
    If you think there’s going to be a Channel 4 “Alternative Queen’s Funeral”, you’ll be sadly disappointed.

It’s going to be a week of working through the Netflix queue for republicans.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,932

Omnium said:

Taz said:

Is it the Green Death?
    I had to look that up 😃
    About the last time I liked Dr Who.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think the government made a mistake to not recognise EU biometric ID cards for entry to the UK. More than anything else this is going to hurt the cheap provincial routes from small European cities to small UK cities. There's a really London centric view in Westminster and losing ID card only tourists to London is no big deal but I read somewhere that in smaller airports Europeans turning up with biometric ID cards accounted for up to half of all foreign arrivals.
    I agree to a point. There is no reason to put onerous travel requirements on people from countries we are friendly with. Even if they decide to make us apply for Schengen visas.

However... we keep getting circulars round at work about dodgy ID to look out for and often they are EU ID cards.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,328
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

And here was I thinking it was only so you could keep a tight grip on your parent's wealth.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

I’ll have a go. The rates will rise very slowly, and by then inflation will drop like a stone. It’s predicted like the Omicron wave, shoot up fadt, drop just as fast. The bit they don’t know, will it linger about 3 or 4 before dropping further. But even so, would rates need to move up quickly?

A follow up question would be, what’s the best way to get value for money for our money in this situation, hold on to it or spend. I’m in the spend it camp and going out tomorrow to follow that belief 😀
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

"I want full Iranian style national mourning when the Queen dies."

Thus speaks the Ayatollah of Epping.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

I’ll have a go. The rates will rise very slowly, and by then inflation will drop like a stone. It’s predicted like the Omicron wave, shoot up fadt, drop just as fast. The bit they don’t know, will it linger about 3 or 4 before dropping further. But even so, would rates need to move up quickly?

A follow up question would be, what’s the best way to get value for money for our money in this situation, hold on to it or spend. I’m in the spend it camp and going out tomorrow to follow that belief 😀
    Historically, inflation has never come down fast.
  • Options
    Mr. Omnium, I remember seeing that as a repeat in my childhood. Pertwee and Baker were good Doctors.

A whle ago, the Horror channel was showing old Who episodes/serials (rather good to see some I'd never seen before).
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,974
    Cloudburst line approaching:

Swansea. Hereford. Birmingham, Nottingham, Lincoln, Grimsby.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The conservatives haven’t broken 35 for a long while. Concept of narrowing is shaving off the Labour lead, partly offset by greens being a tad high in polls, but more importantly, shaving bits off labour share is disguising what progress they are making at the moment convincing everyday people they are ready for government.
    Indeed. We also have the Erdington by-election in 11 days' time where Labour need to get a swing of at least 10% IMO. It's a bit of an odd constituency in some ways: the Erdington ward itself has been swinging to the Tories in recent years.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    UK R

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Good japes!

If you think there’s going to be a Channel 4 “Alternative Queen’s Funeral”, you’ll be sadly disappointed.

It'll be a watered down version of losing ones own parent or grand parent. Nothing like the loss of the people's princess
  • Options
    Cases by specimen date

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,102
    MaxPB said:

I have seen the same. Camden Market today is RAMMED despite the lousy weather: completely back to pre-pandemic levels, indeed possibly busier than normal for a very wintry, wet Sunday. Barely possible to drive through, all the pubs full at 4.30pm

Another thing I have noticed: gentrification has sped along, up from Camden High Street, down Kentish Town Road, all the way to Tufnell Park and even tentatively as far as - yes - Archway, previously a dystopian urban Toilet.

This seems to be a post-demic thing, or at least the process has been vastly speeded up by the plague. What used to be crappy pound stores, betting shops, charity outlets, is now all trendy bars, Vietnamese pho pop-ups, organic grocers, new cafes, wine shops, fancy clothes stores.

Intriguing

Of course this leaves the Big Question: how is CENTRAL London doing?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Good japes!

I don't watch Channel 4. I don't even have a TV license. Netflix and Amazon Prime for me.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

FF43 said:

IshmaelZ said:

You are Angela Rayner and I claim my sheet of state-subsidised bread tokens.
    Isn't that a bit like saying all Christians are psychopaths because of the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition?
  • Options

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

pigeon said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

There aren't that many homes available at reasonable prices. The population of the UK has increased by nearly 20% in recent years but the housing supply hasn't. The idea of plenty of spare houses being available is a very bad joke.
    There are in the North East, North West, Wales, Scotland and other parts of the country. There just aren’t that many affordable ones where people want to buy.
  • Options
    Case summary

• Options

Mr. Omnium, I remember seeing that as a repeat in my childhood. Pertwee and Baker were good Doctors.

A whle ago, the Horror channel was showing old Who episodes/serials (rather good to see some I'd never seen before).

Forces TV are currently showing classic Dr Who.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

All the trains were cancelled on Friday due to the storm, I wouldn't read too much into that.
  • Options
    Hospitals

• Options
    Deaths

• Options
    Mr. Taz, aye, and they showed Blake's 7 recently too.

Give me BBC sci-fi from the 70s over that of today.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,303
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Hopefully, we get the Funeral March from Siegfried, at the end of which the Archbishop of Canterbury proclaims "Now, entereth thou upon Valhalla."
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Taz said:

Is it the Green Death?
    The Green Death. Unfettered capitalism is bad. With giant maggots made from blown up condoms
  • Options
    Age related cases

• Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Trains were running between Woking and Waterloo, so we decided to go that way. My friends got to Woking station before the rest of us to say that SWR were refusing to sell tickets and let people on the station as "they couldn't guarantee that we'd get home", which I thought was utterly stupid.

So we all made our way to the Piccadilly Line but the car parks at Hatton Cross, Hounslow West and Osterley were full. My friends did well to find street parking at Boston Manor, but we ended up at Acton East. I was in my seat at the Emirates for 15:02.

My wife's friend and her daughter had gone into London yesterday to see a show, had to end up booking a hotel to stay overnight as they couldn't get home again via rail.
  • Options
    COVID Summary

- Cases down. R below 1 for all regions and ages.
    - Hospital admissions down. R stable below 1.
    - MV beds down
    - In hospital down
    - Deaths down.

• Options
    Tres said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

My wife's friend and her daughter had gone into London yesterday to see a show, had to end up booking a hotel to stay overnight as they couldn't get home again via rail.
    Where had they travelled from?
  • Options

Mr. Taz, aye, and they showed Blake's 7 recently too.

Give me BBC sci-fi from the 70s over that of today.

They show a fair bit of vintage stuff. They showed Space1999 a while back. Cracking stuff.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,293
    tlg86 said:

kyf_100 said:

Hence why I think an election with inflation as a big issue would be rather curious. The last PM to successfully tackle inflation isn't particularly liked by Labour.
    At the moment I cannot imagine interest rates rising to 4% but I can't see anything less having an impact on inflation.

Maybe some of it is supply chain related, anybody who's tried to get hold of a PS5 or a new car in the last year or so will tell you how bad things are.

But surely with inflation running at 7% officially (and as far as I can see, big ticket items and essentials like, oh, rent are skyrocketing), the wage demands are going to be similar, which further pushes up prices, which locks us into a spiral... and I don't think either the Tories or Labour will dare crash the economy to get it back under control.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I have seen the same. Camden Market today is RAMMED despite the lousy weather: completely back to pre-pandemic levels, indeed possibly busier than normal for a very wintry, wet Sunday. Barely possible to drive through, all the pubs full at 4.30pm

Another thing I have noticed: gentrification has sped along, up from Camden High Street, down Kentish Town Road, all the way to Tufnell Park and even tentatively as far as - yes - Archway, previously a dystopian urban Toilet.

This seems to be a post-demic thing, or at least the process has been vastly speeded up by the plague. What used to be crappy pound stores, betting shops, charity outlets, is now all trendy bars, Vietnamese pho pop-ups, organic grocers, new cafes, wine shops, fancy clothes stores.

Intriguing

Of course this leaves the Big Question: how is CENTRAL London doing?
    The City was still incredibly quiet the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. And Canary Wharf.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Historically, inflation has never come down fast.
    That makes it interesting it’s predicted to this time. 🙂

On the one hand you could be ahead of game, betting it won’t come down fast and will linger at something highish, like 4+. On the other hand though, the reset button of pandemic leading to lumpiness in economic boot up is a bit different than history’s lesson?
This discussion has been closed.