Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Another day and now the betting edges back to a 2022 PM exit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,284
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Reminiscent of Victoria Wood's joke in 2000 that Tony Blair had solved the north-south divide by ‘making everything the south’. https://twitter.com/GroomB/status/1488947864302665732/photo/1

Don't they use that strategy to make people think some airports are closer to London than they are?
    With HS2 we could be flying into Birmingham London. Closer by rail than the tube from Heathrow (but not the express…).
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032

@Gardenwalker FPT

NZ:

It surely cannot be true that a positive test gets 10 days in the cooler, but being a household contact of a positive test gets 24 days?

Eh?

Did I read that correctly?

Sight correction, but pretty much:

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-health-advice-public/advice-people-covid-19

The isolation period for COVID-19 cases in the community is at least 14 days, including 72 hours symptom-free.

Your household members will need to remain in isolation for at least 10 days after you have been released as a case. This means they will need to be in isolation for longer than you.

It’s batshit.
    In NZ's defence here, I can see the argument that if you have covid, 10 days later you will be over it and no longer infectious - whereas if you don't have it yet, it'll take you longer to get it, then get over it. It makes a certain sense - if you are trying to stop the spread of covid at the expense of absolutely everything else. It's just wildly, wildly disproportionate.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,284
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Reminiscent of Victoria Wood's joke in 2000 that Tony Blair had solved the north-south divide by ‘making everything the south’. https://twitter.com/GroomB/status/1488947864302665732/photo/1

Don't they use that strategy to make people think some airports are closer to London than they are?
    With HS2 we could be flying into Birmingham London. Closer by rail than the tube from Heathrow (but not the express…).
    London Birmingham, I should say…
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,462
    Cookie said:

stodge said:

BREAKING: New Zealand says international border will gradually reopen from February 27, with a full reopening by October

Only have to wait until October to visit.....what's the betting they open a bit, get a spike and they reverse /delay this decision.

Does that mean people in NZ can leave this month but can’t go back until October?

I take all of @Gardenwalker ’s points about Jacinda OPT but this is getting beyond ridiculous now. I haven’t seen my mate for three years. He is imprisoned on the North Island!
    In fact, most UK residents will be able to get to NZ in July - for a nice winter visit.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300509477/covid19-nz-border-reopening-to-begin-from-late-february-to-proceed-in-five-stages
    I won't be booking a trip for then, I can well see a spike in cases and then down come the shutters again.
    Indeed. Although it’s not at its best in July anyway - middle of winter there.
    What has happened to the NZ economy this last 2 years? From what I recall, about 10% was based on international tourism?
    My NZ friends tell me there is anger there that she has conceded another summer - it’s coming towards the end of their summer there now of course - when she could have opened up at Christmas time if not before. It’s not clear to me why she has decided to open up in winter, not summer. Perhaps there is a reason: booster rates maybe?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165

Bear in mind too this is Omicron so a lot of cases will be mild. NZ is well vaxxed now.

Yes, she nailed it early doors as you rightly say OPT, but the latest stuff just looks like crackpot policy born of inertia. What’s her exit strategy?
    I dunno.
    The October announcement seems to be based on a belief they have one more risky winter to go.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Need to be a bit more subtle.

London Jasper Carrot aeroport?
    Cookie said:

@Gardenwalker FPT

NZ:

It surely cannot be true that a positive test gets 10 days in the cooler, but being a household contact of a positive test gets 24 days?

Eh?

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-health-advice-public/advice-people-covid-19

The isolation period for COVID-19 cases in the community is at least 14 days, including 72 hours symptom-free.

Your household members will need to remain in isolation for at least 10 days after you have been released as a case. This means they will need to be in isolation for longer than you.

It’s batshit.
    In NZ's defence here, I can see the argument that if you have covid, 10 days later you will be over it and no longer infectious - whereas if you don't have it yet, it'll take you longer to get it, then get over it. It makes a certain sense - if you are trying to stop the spread of covid at the expense of absolutely everything else. It's just wildly, wildly disproportionate.
    Why not just daily test the household contacts after 7/10 days?
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Pedanticbetting.com, duty bound

Heathrow is in London so your post is demonstrably factually incorrect
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

Mike's link seems to be to the odds on the market - the Meeks document is here:

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/every-conservative-mps-position-on-boris-johnson-and-the-parties-in-number-10-bc4f5f77032f

It's nuts that he only has 21 followers, when any old councillor can get a few hundred. His blogs aren't frequent but they're among the best political blogs on the internet.

He has nearly 1,000
    21 on medium.com
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Need to be a bit more subtle.

London Jasper Carrot aeroport?
    London Midland has a nice ring to it

Cookie said:

@Gardenwalker FPT

NZ:

Eh?

It’s batshit.
    Why not just daily test the household contacts after 7/10 days?
    Well quite. We are in sledgehammer/nut territory here. I'm certainly not saying NZ's approach is sensible. I can't see the sense, but I can see the logic.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869

They're getting more upmarket. Pork Pie Plot, Cream Tea Coup. What next? The Wagyu Beef Insurgency? The Foie Gras Rebellion?
    The shaved Parmesan schism.
    The Good Brie Uprising.
  • carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

You also have the TfL Rail (soon to be Crossrail), so you won't have to rely on the Tube (hopefully by next year!).
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    Cookie said:

stodge said:

BREAKING: New Zealand says international border will gradually reopen from February 27, with a full reopening by October

Only have to wait until October to visit.....what's the betting they open a bit, get a spike and they reverse /delay this decision.

Does that mean people in NZ can leave this month but can’t go back until October?

I take all of @Gardenwalker ’s points about Jacinda OPT but this is getting beyond ridiculous now. I haven’t seen my mate for three years. He is imprisoned on the North Island!
    In fact, most UK residents will be able to get to NZ in July - for a nice winter visit.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300509477/covid19-nz-border-reopening-to-begin-from-late-february-to-proceed-in-five-stages
    I won't be booking a trip for then, I can well see a spike in cases and then down come the shutters again.
    What has happened to the NZ economy this last 2 years? From what I recall, about 10% was based on international tourism?
    Rather good according to this report. NZ has been very successful on health outcomes and near the top in terms of economic outcomes. The UK came last overall amongst the 20 countries surveyed, although you could slice and dice it differently:

https://www.adecco-jobs.com/-/media/project/adeccogroup/articles/article-doc/tag-covid-19-government-response-outcomes-comparison-january-2022.pdf/
    Cookie said:

stodge said:

Took a small hit in 2020 (minus 1) but strong growth through 2021 based on massive monetary and fiscal expansion.

Unemployment never been lower, house prices never been higher etc.

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

You also have the TfL Rail (soon to be Crossrail), so you won't have to rely on the Tube (hopefully by next year!).
    Fair point. @carnforth ’s post was even more inaccurate than I thought!
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

I mean, he calls himself "Big Dog" for fuck's sake.
    How has he not been pitchforked into the Thames already?

I was reminded today of an acquaintaince at school who rather hoped to be known as 'Boss Man'.
    Long story short - no-one else ever referred to him as 'Boss Man'.

He was actually a reasonably pleasant fella aside from this foible, occupying a slot somewhere in the middle ranks - metaphorically neither kicking sand into others' faces nor regularly having sand kicked into his own face. He was from an atypically urban background for our rather suburban school. But this in no way merited calling him 'Boss Man'.

Never try to dictate your own nickname.

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

They should be digging up for Crossrail 2.

I doubt it will happen in my lifetime now.

Cookie said:

stodge said:

Took a small hit in 2020 (minus 1) but strong growth through 2021 based on massive monetary and fiscal expansion.

Economics is a fascinating thing and defies expectations as often as not.

In principle, taking a course of action which results in no income at all for one of your biggest sectors would appear to be likely to lead to a negative outcome. And yet the complexity of an economy and the actors within it are surprisingly resilient.
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

Economics is a fascinating thing and defies expectations as often as not.

In principle, taking a course of action which results in no income at all for one of your biggest sectors would appear to be likely to lead to a negative outcome. And yet the complexity of an economy and the actors within it are surprisingly resilient.
    Tourism is important, but nothing compared to dairy exports. And the day to day economy was allowed to keep going, unlike most of the rest of the world.

The figures are not as surprising as you think, especially once you add the fiscal and monetary stimulus.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

I was reminded today of an acquaintaince at school who rather hoped to be known as 'Boss Man'.

He was actually a reasonably pleasant fella aside from this foible, occupying a slot somewhere in the middle ranks - metaphorically neither kicking sand into others' faces nor regularly having sand kicked into his own face. He was from an atypically urban background for our rather suburban school. But this in no way merited calling him 'Boss Man'.

In that case I shall henceforth call you...biscuit.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

It's Bradford that needs a Crossrail.

Levelling up. Northern Powerhouse Rail. All that jazz.
  • Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Did you go to school with Paul Ince?!
    edited February 2022

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I agree, but I’ve never considered UK’s infrastructure issue to be either/or.

Bradford needs to compete with Bremen.

London needs to complete with New York.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    I missed this....

Starmer is improving by the day and doesn't a very discombobulated Johnson know it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWzLZ-UZ4AY

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Did you go to school with Paul Ince?!
    Ha ha - it wasn't Paul Ince! The lad in question was whiter than a Scandinavian winter.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Andy_JS said:
    Ooh, does the answer rhyme with Prussia?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I agree, but I’ve never considered UK’s infrastructure issue to be either/or.

Bradford needs to compete with Bremen.

London needs to complete with New York.
    Problem is we don’t have even either/or we have neither/nor
  • Wow. @Ianblackford_MP doubles down on pensions. He repeats lie about what Chief Secretary to the Treasury said in 2014, and confirms new SNP pension policy: independent Scottish Government *won’t pay the state pension*. Pensioners expected to believe UK Government would pay.

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1489027587364040705?s=21
    "(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges

Understand No.10 now concede a leadership challenge is inevitable. Source; “The threshold will be met”.
    8:43 PM · Feb 2, 2022·Twitter Web App"

Wow. @Ianblackford_MP doubles down on pensions. He repeats lie about what Chief Secretary to the Treasury said in 2014, and confirms new SNP pension policy: independent Scottish Government *won’t pay the state pension*. Pensioners expected to believe UK Government would pay.

Brexit on steroids.

The SNP have learned a lot from Boris/Gove/Cummings.
    The John Hopkins study is being reported in the mainstream media despite being accused of being propaganda by supporters of the Great Barrington Declaration.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/02/trusting-people-do-right-thing-saved-lives-covid-lockdowns/
  • Anyone noticed that the price of tinned chickpeas has had a big increase ? From 31p to 55p at ASDA.

I don't know if this is because of some particular supply constraint or if the Indian chickpea harvest has failed.
  • Anyone noticed that the price of tinned chickpeas has had a big increase ? From 31p to 55p at ASDA.

I don't know if this is because of some particular supply constraint or if the Indian chickpea harvest has failed.

Brexit, innit?

Eat more British meat and less foreign muck for the win (and lower life expectancy)
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    edited February 2022
    Cyclefree said:

This -

"I hesitate to comment on the trans thing but it could also be that we are transitioning (geddit) from our hitherto widespread views of what a "woman" is.

Sounds bonkers, right. Until one looks at the way social norms have evolved over the years. As ever with societal change of this type there will be an overshoot before we settle down into something that is "advanced" (as in changed) from the status quo ante but is not as "extreme" as, say, the Huntley example."

must be one of the stupidest things I have ever read on here.

A woman is a "social norm" now is she?!

Jesus - the rubbish we have to endure from men is unbelievable.

Oh and as for the poster who thinks I do not understand the Equality Act and want to change it is also talking rubbish. I do understand it and the Equal Pay Act and the GRA. I want to change none of them. I am broadly happy with all of them. The main groups who want to change the Equality legislation are those trans groups who have publicly stated that they want to remove all references to sex in the Equality Act and elsewhere. This will of course make it practically impossible for women to bring claims of discrimination based on sex.

No wonder men are so keen on this. Abolish legislative references to sex in anti-discrimination legislation and heigh ho you don't need to worry about sexism or sex-based discrimination any more. Tough shit, girls!

The reason I oppose self-ID is simple:

If a man can call himself a woman without any medical diagnosis or requirement to transition, then it necessarily harms and eventually eliminates sex-based rights and protections. We have seen this already in the U.K. with male sex offenders housed in womens prisons and raping women - with male fetishists becoming Girl Guide leaders and having access to young girls, male autogynephiles indecently exposing themselves in womens' changing rooms.

It increases the risks of sexual offences against women. Not because genuinely trans people are a risk but because sexual predators will use another giant loophole which society will have created. And sexual predators are a risk. If you create a loophole it will be abused. It is already being abused - in California in prisons. In Ireland - again in womens' prisons. In Canada - by someone claiming to be trans at a spa but who turned out to be a serial sex offender with a long history of indecent exposure.

It is unfair to women in sport - as leading female sportswomen from Martina Navratilova on have said. The advantages of male puberty do not vanish just because a man declares himself to be a woman. See in the USA - by the Pennsylvanian male swimmer who is stealing all the womens' swimming prizes etc.

It undermines the fundamental concepts behind safeguarding which are that you don't accept what someone says they are at face value. You trust your instincts. You verify. You check. You challenge. "I am who I say I am" - the slogan used by Amnesty in support of trans people is a slogan perfectly designed for every fraudster and sexual predator there ever was or ever will be. Quite why I need to say this in light of Jimmy Savile God only knows.

The final reason is because there is a move by some of the activists to extend self-ID to children. In Scotland they want to permit this at 16. This risks subjecting children to potentially some grotesque medical chemical and surgical interventions which are life-changing and irreversible. It risks medicalising and classifying children confused by their sexuality as trans when in fact they may actually be gay. No-one who has read the legal decisions in relation to Appleby and the Tavistock clinic and the Keira Bell decisions in detail could be anything other than concerned at the way unproven untested and potentially dangerous medical interventions are being pushed at troubled children.

Enough. Trans people have the same legal rights as everyone else in this country. What they need above all is proper prompt medical help, not the sort of screeching by activists arguing that a woman is whatever a man says.

I have a friend who is a man who has transitioned. She has taught me a lot about this subject. She is utterly aghast at what is being done and said in her name. I value her insights highly.

Good night PB.
    edited February 2022
    Cyclefree said:

This -

"I hesitate to comment on the trans thing but it could also be that we are transitioning (geddit) from our hitherto widespread views of what a "woman" is.

Sounds bonkers, right. Until one looks at the way social norms have evolved over the years. As ever with societal change of this type there will be an overshoot before we settle down into something that is "advanced" (as in changed) from the status quo ante but is not as "extreme" as, say, the Huntley example."

must be one of the stupidest things I have ever read on here.

A woman is a "social norm" now is she?!

Jesus - the rubbish we have to endure from men is unbelievable.

Oh and as for the poster who thinks I do not understand the Equality Act and want to change it is also talking rubbish. I do understand it and the Equal Pay Act and the GRA. I want to change none of them. I am broadly happy with all of them. The main groups who want to change the Equality legislation are those trans groups who have publicly stated that they want to remove all references to sex in the Equality Act and elsewhere. This will of course make it practically impossible for women to bring claims of discrimination based on sex.

No wonder men are so keen on this. Abolish legislative references to sex in anti-discrimination legislation and heigh ho you don't need to worry about sexism or sex-based discrimination any more. Tough shit, girls!

The reason I oppose self-ID is simple:

If a man can call himself a woman without any medical diagnosis or requirement to transition, then it necessarily harms and eventually eliminates sex-based rights and protections. We have seen this already in the U.K. with male sex offenders housed in womens prisons and raping women - see male fetishists becoming Girl Guide leaders and having access to young girls, male autogynephiles indecently exposing themselves in womens' changing rooms.

It increases the risks of sexual offences against women. Not because genuinely trans people are a risk but because sexual predators will use another giant loophole which society will have created. And sexual predators are a risk. If you create a loophole it will be abused. It is already being abused - in California in prisons. In Ireland - again in womens' prisons. In Canada - by someone claiming to be trans at a spa but who turned out to be a serial sex offender with a long history of indecent exposure.

It is unfair to women in sport - as leading female sportswomen from Martina Navratilova on have said. The advantages of male puberty do not vanish just because a man declares himself to be a woman. See in the USA - by the Pennsylvanian male swimmer who is stealing all the womens' swimming prizes etc.

Cyclefree, please don't rail against 'men' like this. I am sure most - probably almost all - men agree with you. I'm not even sure that the views you rail against are held disproportionately by men - these sorts of views come from women as often as men as far as I can see.

On a similar note, I saw the story you mentioned about the swimmer - here is a picture of the swimmer in question:
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Wow. @Ianblackford_MP doubles down on pensions. He repeats lie about what Chief Secretary to the Treasury said in 2014, and confirms new SNP pension policy: independent Scottish Government *won’t pay the state pension*. Pensioners expected to believe UK Government would pay.

Obvious question here. The UK Government doesn't pay. What does Scotland do?

Now, it can threaten the UK - not with force but by saying it will become, like in the 1400s / 1500s, a hostile nation on the Northern border and bring in the Russians / Chinese. But how far can they go with this.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231
    MrEd said:

Obvious question here. The UK Government doesn't pay. What does Scotland do?

Now, it can threaten the UK - not with force but by saying it will become, like in the 1400s / 1500s, a hostile nation on the Northern border and bring in the Russians / Chinese. But how far can they go with this.
    Not very far.

There is literally no way that the UK government would take on the responsibility of paying the state pension for a country who chose to secede. (I mean, if there was a pot of money set aside for the state pension, it would be one thing. But the reality is that it has always been a workers pay for pensioners model.)

Brexit, innit?

Eat more British meat and less foreign muck for the win (and lower life expectancy)
    The price of other pulses doesn't seem to have increased.

Only chickpeas - which have previously been for some reason the cheapest.

Now if the price increase increase has been caused by a poor harvest then that might have consequences in other countries - food inflation often bringing down governments in the third world.
    Andy_JS said:
    Finland has also been more vocally supportive of NATO than it has ever previously been.

(As an aside, Ukraine would be a good purchaser of some of those Saab fighters.)
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    Are interest rates definitely going up again? I can hardly afford to pay my mortgage already ffs
    edited February 2022
    Interesting fact: the Conservatives in Canada have won the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 elections going back to 2006. The exception was 2015 when J Trudeau was first elected.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,463
    well another day dawns and I wonder if there is a flurry of "public" letters or not to the 1922..... if BJ thought he was off the hook, I sense the Ukraine situation and a fight with the EU wont be enough to distract Tory MPs, I am trying to work out if BJ regrets the J Saville remark... it smacks of desperation and seems to have pixxed off the old school Tories.... its when the 1st Minister breaks cover that things will warm up but I'm not that hopeful
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    edited February 2022
    Mail:
    Another five MPs are set to hand in letters of no confidence in Boris Johnson in the coming days as Downing Street fears an orchestrated plot is trying to bring down the prime minister.

Another five, including members of the government, are considering submitting their letters as soon as today, according to The Times.

It has also been revealed that trade minister Penny Mordaunt blasted the 'stupidity' of the current leadership in a letter to a constituent, in one of the most senior members of the government to hit out at Mr Johnson.

Pictures exist of Mr Johnson at Downing Street parties being investigated by police, his former adviser Dominic Cummings claimed during an online Q&A
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

Are interest rates definitely going up again? I can hardly afford to pay my mortgage already ffs

That’s not good when rates are close to historic lows. I suspect you’re not alone and it’s why government will probably alter the BoE’s remit at some point.

Alas, it means inflation is here to stay.
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting fact: the Conservatives in Canada have won the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 elections going back to 2006. The exception was 2015 when J Trudeau was first elected.

They suffer from being a national party with lots of regional opposition: the BQ in Quebec, the NDP in the West, and the Liberals in the East.

didnt you have to agree you could pay if rates rose by 2% (or 3% IIRC) when you took the product out? Not trying to make a point but thought that was part of the whole process...
    tlg86 said:

That’s not good when rates are close to historic lows. I suspect you’re not alone and it’s why government will probably alter the BoE’s remit at some point.

Alas, it means inflation is here to stay.
    As I said a year or two back, a spell of negative real interest rates is so politically convenient that it was always likely at some point.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

Are you fixed for a bit or on purely variable ?
    10k Tories
    3k Ukip
    1k odds and sods
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511

Yes and they’re pushing on a piece of string. Less than 10% of households are on a variable mortgage and the inflationary pressures are largely due to global supply constraints.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:
    Finland has also been more vocally supportive of NATO than it has ever previously been.

(As an aside, Ukraine would be a good purchaser of some of those Saab fighters.)
    Gripen E/F is completely incompatible with all of their existing weapons and MRO/logistics setup. They are far better off pursuing their MiG-29MU1/2 upgrade project with Elbit.

The Gripen hasn't secured an export order for 8 years. It's struggling because of F-16s released into the market by F-35 purchases on the bottom end and the very effective Rafale sales operation at the top end of the market.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 1,007

Markets put it as something like a 95% probability, but then they expected one in November which got delayed a month.

Regardless of exact timing, expect BoE interest rates to be at least 1% by the end of the year.
    moonshine said:

Yes and they’re pushing on a piece of string. Less than 10% of households are on a variable mortgage and the inflationary pressures are largely due to global supply constraints.
    It gets you eventually though, I mean I'm on 5 Yr fix - but obviously remortgaging will cost me more now.
    Same with energy
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

It gets you eventually though, I mean I'm on 5 Yr fix - but obviously remortgaging will cost me more now.
    Same with energy
    Might be in a new phase of loosening before then!

What it does do is cool property prices a bit, since it will impact stressed borrowing capacity on new applications. In the US I guess there’s also a much more direct effects on stocks given how much leveraged retail buying there is there.
  • Good morning, everyone.

As before, I'll believe in the VONC when I see it. Nobody (bar one) knows how many letters are actually in.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140

Historically they are very low - anyone who mortgaged to the hilt over the last few years was taking a huge risk re affordability. Savers - who essentially fund all mortgages - have had very low rates for years. At some point that had to change.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Pulpstar said:

Variable, but I was trying to scrape through these years until my affordability improved. House was purchased with an ex and the upheaval of selling it and renting/buying elsewhere just for a few years was not worth the hassle.

I am currently in the process of trying to fix it for a few years with a mortgage guaranteed by my Dad but the solicitor’s have been worse than useless and are now ignoring me and the offer expires today! Can you believe it!
    felix said:

Historically they are very low - anyone who mortgaged to the hilt over the last few years was taking a huge risk re affordability. Savers - who essentially fund all mortgages - have had very low rates for years. At some point that had to change.
    Its only going to benefit the old property owning class (as usual) and hurt the millennials and younger who struggled to even get a foot on the ladder in the first place. “Had to change” my ass.
    Roger said:
    Its well worth a read, summarises PB consensus over the last 3-4 months about the BJ, describing him as the most electorally successful Conservative PM for 30 years helps explain how indulged he has been by the Party (esp its MPs).
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    Scott_xP said:

Ouch.

Roger said:
    Its well worth a read, summarises PB consensus over the last 3-4 months about the BJ, describing him as the most electorally successful Conservative PM for 30 years helps explain how indulged he has been by the Party (esp its MPs).
    But it’s also a sad portrait of someone essentially taking the piss, who has entered politics for no reason better than wanting the attention.
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Ouch.
    Close to the wind but an excellent cartoon
  • Just on levelling up: this will do them more harm than good. It's only six minutes since they decided HS2 doesn't need to bother going to Leeds (let alone the wild, uncharted realms of Newcastle or, dare I say it, Scotland).

Promising stuff when your last promise has been broken does not persuade people.

Practically the only plus of the fool remaining as PM would be watching the electoral Question Time in which the now traditional Yorkshire mauling would be a sight to behold.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

The only question is now will he lose with the dignity of Donald Trump?

I had dinner last night with a senior Tory.

View was that Boris is toast. The 54 will happen, possibly after the Met report, and his support will collapse at that point. Very few friends in the parliamentary party. But he will fight not resign
    Fight what? If he loses a VONC he doesn't have a choice but to resign, nor can he stand again under Hague's Rules, which are hardly going to be altered for him.

Would be hilarious if like Corbyn he lost the whip for being an arrogant dick.

View was that Boris is toast. The 54 will happen, possibly after the Met report, and his support will collapse at that point. Very few friends in the parliamentary party. But he will fight not resign
    They really do fear him.
    edited February 2022

But the Met has said that its investigation will take “no more than a year”. Which doesn’t sound exactly imminent.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    Good morning one and all.
    Are we heading for another row over N. Ireland?
    IanB2 said:

But the Met has said that its investigation will take “no more than a year”. Which doesn’t sound imminent.
    He asks us to wait for Gray.
    He asks us to wait for the Met.

Why any Tory MP waits is beyond me.
  • ICYMI Lisa Nandy responds to Michael Gove on Levelling Up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNggSDfWeYY

One to watch for next Labour leader.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

But the Met has said that its investigation will take “no more than a year”. Which doesn’t sound imminent.
    He asks us to wait for Gray.
    He asks us to wait for the Met.

Why any Tory MP waits is beyond me.
    Perhaps some of them have run out of crayons?

ICYMI Lisa Nandy responds to Michael Gove on Levelling Up:

I voted for super Lisa over Keir
  • Morning all! I watched the Battle of Stockton clip from Channel 4 News last night. Matt Vickers who always appears half cut saying "all the things I've done me me me" and the retiring Alex Cunningham pointing out that levelling up restores less than 10% of the funds taken, health inequalities at their worst on record and no new hospital after the Tories cancelled it.

Several of my Labour friends on Teesside thought it went well for Labour but I'm not so sure. Vickers is the guy trying to sell Springfield a Monorail - a shyster but a compelling one. Don't battle them on negatives, battle them on their failure to deliver positives. Cash for posh Yarm whilst people die earlier and earlier in the poor parts of town is not success. A towns fund where the exact same money is being pledged by various MPs to various towns but not appearing is not success. Houchen's "public regeneration of Redcar Steelworks" where 90% is now mysteriously owned by his donors is not success.

I will keep coming back to red wall Tory voters expecting significant improvements and quickly. Vickers trying to sell a monorail as success when people can see things getting worse not better will not win him any favours however much half cut enthusiasm he puts into his performance.

I just don’t see 54 letters. If after Mondays performance you haven’t sent a letter in what trigger is actually going to make you do so..

After the Met report where they decide it’s all old news and quietly don’t do anything?

Pulpstar said:

Variable, but I was trying to scrape through these years until my affordability improved. House was purchased with an ex and the upheaval of selling it and renting/buying elsewhere just for a few years was not worth the hassle.

I am currently in the process of trying to fix it for a few years with a mortgage guaranteed by my Dad but the solicitor’s have been worse than useless and are now ignoring me and the offer expires today! Can you believe it!
    Conveyancing solicitors can be worse than useless and appallingly slow.
    A remortgage is almost literally a box ticking exercise for them too.
    I assume you couldn't go in house with the bank due to the fact your Dad doesn't live with you.

When he's on the backbenches he's going to be a complete pain in the dick for his successor. The havoc he is going wreak on the party out of spite has to be a factor in the tory MPs' calculations.

Isn’t she in the right job? She could make a huge difference in office in this role.
  • Roger said:
    I thought it is a very good example, and potentially explains a lot.
    So second concert (Echo and the Bunnymen) since the end of Covid and the first clue that both me (and the acts) are getting old.

Ian McCulloch had to leave the stage half way through the concert due to a bad back
  • ydoethur said:

Fight what? If he loses a VONC he doesn't have a choice but to resign, nor can he stand again under Hague's Rules, which are hardly going to be altered for him.

Would be hilarious if like Corbyn he lost the whip for being an arrogant dick.
    If he really wants to be an arrogant dick, and if he really misunderstands Churchill (actually, scrub that second if), how far can he take the Wilderness Years schtick?

Would him not being an MP be enough to shut him up? Rationally, one would think so, but this is Boris the Unflushable we're talking about.
    edited February 2022
    I see that the energy rebate is going to be based on council tax band - so few down south will get it but a lot more houses up north will

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/millions-of-families-to-get-cuts-in-council-tax-6sqc3w9xs

Few people are going to like that but it’s cheap to administer.
    edited February 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

When he's on the backbenches he's going to be a complete pain in the dick for his successor. The havoc he is going wreak on the party out of spite has to be a factor in the tory MPs' calculations.
    You really think he'll stay on the backbenches? In the event of a VONC I expect him to flounce off and wander up and down the country being a total PITA with increasing irresponsible speeches.
    eek said:

I see that the energy rebate is going to be based on council tax band - so few down south will get it but a lot more houses up north will

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/millions-of-families-to-get-cuts-in-council-tax-6sqc3w9xs

Few people are going to like that but it’s cheap to administer.

Whats all this craic about the rebate having to be paid back?
    edited February 2022
    Jonathan said:

They really do fear him.
    It is a fear of 'The Talent'. I've seen it many times with managers or agents who will go to any lengths for those they consider to have that special something they don't understand. That X ingredient that has to be indulged.

Dura_Ace said:

You really think he'll stay on the backbenches? In the event of a VONC I expect him to flounce off and wander up and down the country being a total PITA with increasing irresponsible speeches.
    Of course he will. Why wouldn't he? It's free money.
  • Dura_Ace said:

I know there's some procedure to follow before this happens but I'd have thought he'd done enough to clear the bar for a recall vote?
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Of course he will. Why wouldn't he? It's free money.
    You could be right. He'll be useless as an MP, of course, unless a constituent finds a cause which suits him.
    moonshine said:

Interesting piece in the Atlantic about how climate change is driving inflation. I hadn't appreciated that part of the chip shortage problem is due to drought in Taiwan, and interesting points on US lumber prices and housing starts.

For £40 per year, The Atlantic does some great writing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/02/greenflation-prices-inflation-climate-change-coffee-lumber/621456/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140

felix said:

Its only going to benefit the old property owning class (as usual) and hurt the millennials and younger who struggled to even get a foot on the ladder in the first place. “Had to change” my ass.
    Rubbish - why should 000s of renters struggling to save for a deposit pay for your cheap mortgage?
    felix said:

felix said:

Rubbish - why should 000s of renters struggling to save for a deposit pay for your cheap mortgage?
    Mortgages aren’t created using savings now - like everything else they are securitised and sold to other financial institutions who want that type of return over the specified period.
    Jonathan said:

Isn’t she in the right job? She could make a huge difference in office in this role.
    Yes, it is a better fit for her than Shadow Foreign Secretary.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    On the latest polling, BoZo would lose his seat at the next election
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,127
    Looks like the momentum is with Johnson... hostile has stayed flat, icy has decreased by 1.
    Friendly is up by 16 (based on Alastair Meeks thread).

I think Johnson is going to ride it out.

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/every-conservative-mps-position-on-boris-johnson-and-the-parties-in-number-10-bc4f5f77032f
    felix said:

felix said:

If they’re struggling to save for a deposit they’re not going to be paying for my cheap mortgage are they?
This discussion has been closed.