Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Another day and now the betting edges back to a 2022 PM exit – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited February 2022 in General
imageAnother day and now the betting edges back to a 2022 PM exit – politicalbetting.com

Another day, another PMQs and the overwhelming topic at Westminster is whether there will be an early confidence vote on Johnson by CON MPs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    First
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    My VONC by end feb bet of 90 minutes ago is in the money already.

Get those fcking letters in.
  • The only question is now will he lose with the dignity of Donald Trump?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    The supposed link to Meeks links to the Betdata chart shown.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    God, if he gets thwacked by the kippers tomorrow...
  • So anything less than 85% for the Tory tomorrow, is ipso facto a shortfall/setback for Boris Johnson?

Or moral defeat if you prefer . . . as I do.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555

The only question is now will he lose with the dignity of Donald Trump?

The big problem with Trump was he didn't endorse the election result. Not sure how Johnson could argue about a VONC.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362

The big problem with Trump was he didn't endorse the election result. Not sure how Johnson could argue about a VONC.

Ignore it.

They floated the idea yesterday
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

”There wasn’t any such ballot…”

“There was such a ballot but I won it….”

“There was such a ballot but you will have to wait for Sue Gray to investigate who actually won it….”

So anything less than 85% for the Tory tomorrow, is ipso facto a shortfall/setback for Boris Johnson?

Or moral defeat if you prefer . . . as I do.

I had another search for information on one of the candidates in the election tomorrow, that I wasn't able to find previously, and I found this, which reads:

"Message from Olga Childs - 21 January 2022:

As many have noticed, I have not campaigned in the Southend West by-election, despite having made plans to do so. I thank, and apologise to, those who helped me put forward my nomination, and were prepared to help me canvass and run events. Unfortunately, due to unexpected concerns related to my health, I will not be able to share my message in this campaign. Although it is too late to remove my name from the ballot, I ask that you treat it as if it were never there."

I wonder how many votes they will receive, regardless. Having an entirely blank canvas to vote for could be appealing.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705

I think "with the dignity of Donald Trump" is the only bit we can probably be sure of.

Depends how desperate he is for cash / a redemption arc afterwards.

Will he follow Nads into the Jungle?

Here.

https://twitter.com/AaronBell4NUL/status/1488764157080096772
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Seriously, isn't it (sadly) most likely that Johnson faces a VoNC but narrowly wins it, and stumbles on for another year?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165

Well, he’s too fucking fat to do Strictly.

Nadine Dorries, who ate ostrich arsehole, live for clicks, is accusing MPs fed up with Johnson of being attention seeking.
    https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1488943557394247683

For non-UK followers, who may be puzzled and trying to decode what they just read, this is not some euphemism, metaphorical flourish or quaint English phrase.

She actually ate ostrich arsehole, live on TV.
    https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1488944625184247811
    MAIL: Energy bills to soar by £650 - now the heat is on ⁦@RishiSunak⁩ #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1488999980836827137/photo/1
    edited February 2022

Seriously, isn't it (sadly) most likely that Johnson faces a VoNC but narrowly wins it, and stumbles on for another year?
    This is also my feeling.

A generous number of Tories are disgusted with the Boris, but the majority just want to cling on to nursey for fear of something Trussey.

I mentioned on here last week that somebody who knows the PM quite well will see any ousting as his Dardanelles moment.

He'll be kicked out but the country will want him back in a few years.

The way he is playing the Ukraine crisis he might see it as his moment on the backbenches fighting appeasement moment.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Scott_xP said:

MAIL: Energy bills to soar by £650 - now the heat is on ⁦@RishiSunak⁩ #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1488999980836827137/photo/1

Interesting report on the radio about huge gas price rises... in Germany. I think a lot of countries are seeing the same energy cost issues.
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Nadine Dorries, who ate ostrich arsehole, live for clicks, is accusing MPs fed up with Johnson of being attention seeking.

For non-UK followers, who may be puzzled and trying to decode what they just read, this is not some euphemism, metaphorical flourish or quaint English phrase.

I think this is how she should be introduced on TV.

“And with us in the studio is Nadine Dorries, Culture Secretary and ostrich arsehole eater.”
    IanB2 said:

“There was such a ballot but you will have to wait for Sue Gray to investigate who actually won it….”
    "Nobody told me it was a ballot..."
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

His buddy JRM used to claim to believe that not winning a VONC by enough meant you were required to quit. While he would no doubt reverse on that, calamity has a way of piling on top of calamity, which might render him unsafe notwithstanding the current rules about a further challenge. Corbyn was safe after the challenge against him failed, even when people were literally fleeing the party none dared take him on again, but as we saw with May if things get even worse, not better, after a challenge, even the stubborn may run out road.
    NEW Listen to my affecting Chopper's Politics podcast interview with Conservative MP Anthony Mangnall.
    He laid bare the debate about Boris Johnson many Tory MPs are having now.
    Anthony submitted his letter of no confidence moments before we met.
    @ChoppersPodcast
    @AnthonyMangnal1 https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1488998778619236354/photo/1
    IshmaelZ said:

My VONC by end feb bet of 90 minutes ago is in the money already.

Get those fcking letters in.

Time to take the spiritual approach...

Letters pray.

Was Theresa May safe for a year after her VOC?

Also, if he wins and is subsequently charged by the rozzers or fined then he's out in that 12 month window.

(I honestly think he won't survived being questioned under caution.)
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,174
    Southend West. I said 65/30 was the lowest possible I see for a Con win, but I'm going:

Con 71 / UKIP 21 / Others 8

Scott_xP said:

“And with us in the studio is Nadine Dorries, Culture Secretary and ostrich arsehole eater.”
    She is undeniably an arse-licker.

The same with BoZo

"And with us now, the Prime Minister, sacked twice for telling lies, is it about to be 3 times? Welcome."

I mentioned on here last week that somebody who knows the PM quite well will see any ousting as his Dardanelles moment.

The way he is playing the Ukraine crisis he might see it as his moment on the backbenches fighting appeasement moment.
    Yet another reason for any Conservative politician with any ambition to wait until 2024 before taking over.

Imagine trying to take over with that much brused ego on the backbenches.

(This isn't to say that someone, anyone, shouldn't try, for the sake of party and country. But it has "hospital pass" written all over it.)

This is also my feeling.

A generous number of Tories are disgusted with the Boris, but the majority just want to cling on nursey for fear of something Trussey.
    Yeah, any other approach would be a bit Rishi.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    IanB2 said:

"I mistook the ballot for a cake, and ate it."
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited February 2022
    BREAKING: New Zealand says international border will gradually reopen from February 27, with a full reopening by October

Only have to wait until October to visit.....what's the betting they open a bit, get a spike and they reverse /delay this decision.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    They're getting more upmarket. Pork Pie Plot, Cream Tea Coup. What next? The Wagyu Beef Insurgency? The Foie Gras Rebellion?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052

Also, if he wins and is subsequently charged by the rozzers or fined then he's out in that 12 month window.

May resigned, Boris won't

Was this person on drugs at the time?

BREAKING: New Zealand says international border will gradually reopen from February 27, with a full reopening by October

Only have to wait until October to visit.....

Which October?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,647
    Late evening all :)

The more I hear the new intake of Conservative MPs, the more impressed I am.

They sound genuinely non-ideological and primarily interested in helping their area and their constituents. It's a pity they owe their position to Johnsonian populism but I suspect many now realise he needs them far more than they need him.
    Pro_Rata said:

Southend West. I said 65/30 was the lowest possible I see for a Con win, but I'm going:

Bold. The highest anyone but Labour got in the Batley and Spen 2016 election was 4.8%. My gut, based on nothing, says if anyone but the Tories get over 10%, that's a pretty crappy result for the Blues.
    Times splash:

Millions to get council tax rebate to help limit impact of rising energy bills on poorer households

Sunak to announce rebates for households in bands A to C, funded by Govt grants

Households in Band A will get biggest rebates

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/598daade-8468-11ec-b939-57ea9f594ba1?shareToken=2baf5d83f361fba8f41fbd85755ee96c

Yet another reason for any Conservative politician with any ambition to wait until 2024 before taking over.

Imagine trying to take over with that much brused ego on the backbenches.

(This isn't to say that someone, anyone, shouldn't try, for the sake of party and country. But it has "hospital pass" written all over it.)
    The reality is that I don't think he can afford to be a backbench MP for long.

I hope you're right...

Even though it would increase the prospects for a Tory defeat in GE24 if Johnson stayed, and a Tory defeat is what I want to see, it would be best for the country if he went right away.
  • Pro_Rata said:

That's quite plausible albeit probably still at the high end for UKIP. On a 15,000 turnout that would be a 7,500 Con majority with UKIP on just over 3,000.
    stodge said:

They sound genuinely non-ideological and primarily interested in helping their area and their constituents. It's a pity they owe their position to Johnsonian populism but I suspect many now realise he needs them far more than they need him.

There is an interesting potential, where a party might take a set of positions for pretty cynical reasons, or a Leader goes down a path for reasons of pure advantage only, and then seeks to pivot, only to find that the people elected on that basis genuinely believed what the leadership may have merely paid lip service to.
    Sunak will unveil package of measures in Commons tomorrow morning before Downing Street presser in evening:

* Council tax rebates worth hundreds of pounds for poorest households

* Energy bill rebates for all that will be clawed back in subsequent years

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/598daade-8468-11ec-b939-57ea9f594ba1?shareToken=2baf5d83f361fba8f41fbd85755ee96c
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    Scott_xP said:

Times splash:

Millions to get council tax rebate to help limit impact of rising energy bills on poorer households

But if that's right, where's the money to pay for it? Another NI rise? Income tax? Councils' depleted coffers?
    Scott_xP said:

Times splash:

Well that's progressive, to a point. But how does it help those on UC who already get council tax support?

(I can't read the paywalled report)
    HYUFD said:

May resigned, Boris won't
    Sure, but everyone thinks they won't resign until they do. Think of all the people who agree to some humilating statement that they are standing down rather than accept the dignity of admitting they were sacked.

I suspect Boris won't resign, but rules can be changed if he refuses, and do we know for certain he is that stubborn, more so than May? The woman who remained Prime Minister for over half a year despite having essentially zero control over her legislative programme? Who repeatedly called public statements to tell us nothing had changed?
  • Scott_xP said:

Times splash:

But if that's right, where's the money to pay for it? Another NI rise? Income tax? Councils' depleted coffers?
    The OBR has given Sunak some headroom on predictions of growth/tax take etc.

He would prefer to war chest for tax cut pre-GE 2024 when he is leader, but a few £ now will have to be spent.

UK faces low-growth, high-tax future, warns CBI boss https://on.ft.com/3uq7sKD

Keith was right...
    Sunak will acknowledge people will still face big hikes in energy bills

Tomorrow’s choreography:

11am Ofgem announces bills to rise by 50% to £2000

1100 Sunak announces Govt interventions in Commons

1200 BoE interest rate announcement + inflation forecast

1700 Sunak presser
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,462

Only have to wait until October to visit.....what's the betting they open a bit, get a spike and they reverse /delay this decision.

Does that mean people in NZ can leave this month but can’t go back until October?

I take all of @Gardenwalker ’s points about Jacinda OPT but this is getting beyond ridiculous now. I haven’t seen my mate for three years. He is imprisoned on the North Island!
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Keith was right...

What's Keith's plan? Windfall taxes on business and more regulation, and?
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Scott_xP said:

It'll be fascinating to see what happens to the Tory polling numbers when these energy bills start dropping.

A large fraction of the population has little or no interest in the news, and will only realise that home fuel inflation has just hit 50% when payment is actually demanded of them.

I'm completely confident that whatever Sunak is going to announce tomorrow will defray only a modest fraction of the expense for most households, and will be entirely inadequate to the task of saving poor people from having to choose between buying the cheapest, nastiest available loaf of bread in Tesco, or slightly warming up one room by switching on a small portable heater for an hour in the evening.
  • Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow’s choreography:

1700 Sunak presser

Hurrah for interest rates going up.

We savers have been persecuted for over a decade.
    Scott_xP said:

Sunak will unveil package of measures in Commons tomorrow morning before Downing Street presser in evening:

Is Council Tax devolved?

(Would this mean Cardiff/Edinburgh/Belfast receiving a wodge of money and then up to them what they do with it?)

Scott_xP said:

Keith was right...

Currently to not be Johnson. It’s working...

Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow’s choreography:

1700 Sunak presser

You've left cash on deposit??
    edited February 2022

Does that mean people in NZ can leave this month but can’t go back until October?

I take all of @Gardenwalker ’s points about Jacinda OPT but this is getting beyond ridiculous now. I haven’t seen my mate for three years. He is imprisoned on the North Island!
    I am guessing the opposite, that gradual reopen for NZ citizens first then wider world.
    TIMES: Millions of families to get cuts in council tax #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1489004593182879746/photo/1
  • I think the benchmark should be about 80% for the Tories in Southend W. I don't see UKIP doing much better than 10% but we'll see.

Turnout ~20%

Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow’s choreography:

1700 Sunak presser

Banks pass on full interest rate hike to borrowers.

Banks pass on 0.001% to savers.

Golly. What are you going to spend it all on?

A lawyer, not a liar...
  • Newsnight says the engine cap announcement by the regulator which is now tomorrow and will be the big news has been brought forward by a week at request by Downing Street.

Can't think why.
    Farooq said:

stodge said:

Why haven't they got their letters in to the 1922?
    Very difficult to feel anything other than massively depressed at the state of the Conservative party right now.
    There could be other feelings - rage for instance.
  • Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow’s choreography:

1700 Sunak presser

A little bit.

I was raised by a mother who viewed debt as the eighth deadliest sin, only acceptable debt was a mortgage.

I needed to save 25% of my salary and always have 2 years worth of salary as cash in hand.

Newsnight says the engine cap announcement by the regulator which is now tomorrow and will be the big news has been brought forward by a week at request by Downing Street.

Can't think why.

But Rishi gets the headlines, not the Big Dick
    edited February 2022

Scott_xP said:

Keith was right...

I have said this for years, there seems to be a huge lack of any real thinking in politics. Labour "big" policy so far is a rehash of the mid 90s i.e. whack a big windfall tax on an industry.
    Farooq said:

stodge said:

Why haven't they got their letters in to the 1922?
    Very difficult to feel anything other than massively depressed at the state of the Conservative party right now.
    No, plenty to be happy about.

They will get a pasting in May, a shellacking at the 2023 locals and at the 2024 GE the Party will be pounded like a dockside hooker who has asked @TSE for a pizza with pineapple on it while listening to Radiohead during a Liverpool match.

Probably too many in-jokes there.

Scott_xP said:

Times splash:

Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow’s choreography:

1700 Sunak presser

The CT rebate will be mildly popular, but what a dog’s breakfast. Just binning the Jobs Tax would make more sense, perhaps with VAT relief on energy bills. It’s almost as if Sunak is contorting himself to avoid adopting Labour policies.

Scott_xP said:

Keith was right...

Indeed. And Labour have until 2024.

The last thing they want is to be in power during a cost of living crisis compounded by rising taxes, increased interest rates, and collapsing exports.
  • They're getting more upmarket. Pork Pie Plot, Cream Tea Coup. What next? The Wagyu Beef Insurgency? The Foie Gras Rebellion?
    The shaved Parmesan schism.

In fact, most UK residents will be able to get to NZ in July - for a nice winter visit.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300509477/covid19-nz-border-reopening-to-begin-from-late-february-to-proceed-in-five-stages
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Mike's link seems to be to the odds on the market - the Meeks document is here:

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/every-conservative-mps-position-on-boris-johnson-and-the-parties-in-number-10-bc4f5f77032f

It's nuts that he only has 21 followers, when any old councillor can get a few hundred. His blogs aren't frequent but they're among the best political blogs on the internet.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

After the Dardanelles, wasn't the next step sending tanks to Scotland to suppress the workers then gassing the kurds?. A short spell cutting the Navy then returning to the Gold Standard at a rate causing mass unemployment?

We have a few more disasters to come before Johnson is revealed to be the saviour of us all...

edited February 2022
    stodge said:

In fact, most UK residents will be able to get to NZ in July - for a nice winter visit.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300509477/covid19-nz-border-reopening-to-begin-from-late-february-to-proceed-in-five-stages
    I won't be booking a trip for then, I can well see a spike in cases and then down come the shutters again.

Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow’s choreography:

1700 Sunak presser

A little bit.

I was raised by a mother who viewed debt as the eighth deadliest sin, only acceptable debt was a mortgage.

I needed to save 25% of my salary and always have 2 years worth of salary as cash in hand.
    Flippin'eck... 2 years of your salary? You must be funding half the nation's mortgages!
    Reminiscent of Victoria Wood's joke in 2000 that Tony Blair had solved the north-south divide by ‘making everything the south’. https://twitter.com/GroomB/status/1488947864302665732/photo/1

edited February 2022

I am guessing the opposite, that gradual reopen for NZ citizens first then wider world.
    What does a ‘gradual reopen’ look like in practice? Can you leave, or not? Can you visit, or not? Do you have to spend ten days at Jacinda’s pleasure, or not?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/every-conservative-mps-position-on-boris-johnson-and-the-parties-in-number-10-bc4f5f77032f

It's nuts that he only has 21 followers, when any old councillor can get a few hundred. His blogs aren't frequent but they're among the best political blogs on the internet.

He has nearly 1,000
    @Gardenwalker FPT

NZ:

It surely cannot be true that a positive test gets 10 days in the cooler, but being a household contact of a positive test gets 24 days?

Eh?

Did I read that correctly?
    edited February 2022

Thanks, that's a great resource.

Well done @AlastairMeeks - come back soon we miss you!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    edited February 2022
    Pro_Rata said:

Is there a market on who comes second, or winner of the alsorans? I am not convinced it will be the kipper.
  • Scott_xP said:

Newsnight says the engine cap announcement by the regulator which is now tomorrow and will be the big news has been brought forward by a week at request by Downing Street.

Can't think why.

True that.

@Gardenwalker FPT

NZ:

It surely cannot be true that a positive test gets 10 days in the cooler, but being a household contact of a positive test gets 24 days?

Eh?

Sight correction, but pretty much:

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-health-advice-public/advice-people-covid-19

The isolation period for COVID-19 cases in the community is at least 14 days, including 72 hours symptom-free.

Your household members will need to remain in isolation for at least 10 days after you have been released as a case. This means they will need to be in isolation for longer than you.

It’s batshit.

@Gardenwalker FPT

NZ:

Eh?

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-health-advice-public/advice-people-covid-19

The isolation period for COVID-19 cases in the community is at least 14 days, including 72 hours symptom-free.

Your household members will need to remain in isolation for at least 10 days after you have been released as a case. This means they will need to be in isolation for longer than you.

It’s batshit.
    So the person who has covid is isolated for around half the time of the person who does NOT have covid? Am I reading this correctly?

@Gardenwalker FPT

NZ:

Eh?

It’s batshit.
    So the person who has covid is isolated for around half the time of the person who does NOT have covid? Am I reading this correctly?
    Yes!
    It’s fucking mental.
    Scott_xP said:

Reminiscent of Victoria Wood's joke in 2000 that Tony Blair had solved the north-south divide by ‘making everything the south’. https://twitter.com/GroomB/status/1488947864302665732/photo/1

Don't they use that strategy to make people think some airports are closer to London than they are?
    Bear in mind too this is Omicron so a lot of cases will be mild. NZ is well vaxxed now.
  • They're getting more upmarket. Pork Pie Plot, Cream Tea Coup. What next? The Wagyu Beef Insurgency? The Foie Gras Rebellion?
    The shaved Parmesan schism.
    The Pesto Putsch?

@Gardenwalker FPT

NZ:

Eh?

It’s batshit.
    Yes!
    It’s fucking mental.
    Oh.

That is indeed absolutely crackers.

Arguably the most batshit crazy covid policy I have encountered from any Western government!

• CookieCookie Posts: 13,032
    Scott_xP said:

Also reminiscent of a joke from 'People Like Us': "Cheshire - sometimes described as the Surrey of the North* - apart from by people from Sussex - for whom the Surrey of the North is Surrey."

*This particular Cestrian does not endorse that view.

stodge said:

I won't be booking a trip for then, I can well see a spike in cases and then down come the shutters again.
    Indeed. Although it’s not at its best in July anyway - middle of winter there.
    edited February 2022

Bear in mind too this is Omicron so a lot of cases will be mild. NZ is well vaxxed now.

Yes, she nailed it early doors as you rightly say OPT, but the latest stuff just looks like crackpot policy born of inertia. What’s her exit strategy?

Scott_xP said:

Keith was right...

I have said this for years, there seems to be a huge lack of any real thinking in politics. Labour "big" policy so far is a rehash of the mid 90s i.e. whack a big windfall tax on an industry.
    Because ultimately the policy that makes the most sense is a major rebalancing of taxation away from incomes and investment and towards static, dead assets (i.e. mainly houses.) Land value taxes coupled with very substantial death duties.

Labour has clearly concluded that there are too many asset rich/cash poor elderly, and too many expectant heirs waiting for Mum and Dad to kick the bucket and gift them a hugely valuable house, in the electorate for this to fly. So we stumble on, desperately scrambling around for ways to raise the gargantuan sums of money needed to care for a population that grows fatter, older and more knackered with every passing year, without whacking wages and company profits so bloody hard that the economy tanks.

This is a situation that lends itself to an attitude of delay, obfuscation, tinkering round the edges and allowing most of the country to rot away, gradually but inexorably, for lack of funds. Which is pretty much where we find ourselves.
  • Scott_xP said:

Can't think why.

Sounds like he is getting his very own 5pm presser.

What better time to announce that his 50-odd supporters have put in letters?

"One more thing..."

• CookieCookie Posts: 13,032

stodge said:

Indeed. Although it’s not at its best in July anyway - middle of winter there.
    What has happened to the NZ economy this last 2 years? From what I recall, about 10% was based on international tourism?

Scott_xP said:

Is Council Tax devolved?

(Would this mean Cardiff/Edinburgh/Belfast receiving a wodge of money and then up to them what they do with it?)
    I did a google and found that council tax is devolved, so will be interesting to see what is done elsewhere.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow’s choreography:

1700 Sunak presser

A little bit.

That must have made the first two years working difficult.
This discussion has been closed.