Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The markets edge back to Johnson but 2022 exit still odds on – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    After Gary Streeter submitted his co-ordinated letter this afternoon, a source from another 'rebel' camp said it's beginning to feel organised for the first time

Until now it's looked like a lot of unhappy but disconnected pockets of the party

https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1488985929880530946
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1488976353680576514
  • GIN1138 said:

Defund The Met and Dick out now.

A Metropolitan police officer disciplined after an inquiry into misogynistic and racist messages has since been promoted, the Guardian has learned, as Cressida Dick was warned she could lose the confidence of the mayor of London.

Misconduct was proven against the unnamed officer after a watchdog inquiry into messages about hitting and raping women, which were shared by up to 19 officers based mainly at Charing Cross police station.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/02/met-officer-was-promoted-despite-misconduct-over-sexist-and-racist-messages

Why do I get the feeling that is by no means the first time you've wanted to get Dick Out? 😉
    You're confusing me with Boris Johnson.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    Dramatic news.

The Conservative Party has just voted to remove their leader ...
    edited February 2022
    Only it is in Canada.

The Conservative Party of Canada's caucus of MPs has voted to remove Erin O'Toole as their leader after he lost last year's general election to PM Trudeau

https://www.cbc.ca/
  • On subject of Nicola "Nippy Sweetie" Sturgeon, or rather much broader topic of applying nicknames to female politicos, here is my 2-cents worth:

It's a bad idea. Especially if you are AGAINST a specific female politico.

Why? Because it is resented by large numbers, if not outright majority of people (read voters) including, or rather especially, women.

To be clear I'm NOT talking about common nicknames such as "Nicky" and the like. Indeed, one hallmark of Mrs Thatcher's stature is fact that she was (and still is) instantly identifiable as "Maggie"

She's also a point in support of my argument - in that Soviet's invented "Iron Maiden" as an attack (similar to "Ronnie Ray-guns") that back-fired spectacularly.

"Nippy Sweetie" is IMHO even worse, as it's way more misogynist and also less funny (even in Scottish I'm guessing).

Arguably (at least by me) even worser is "Princess Nut Nut" for Carrie Symonds Johnson.

Why worser? Because it's not only sexist but also meaningless to say 90% of the Great British Public? At least it baffles me. Contrived to make the user (NOT the intended target) seem to be a twat?

NEW STATESMAN: Going Under #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1488986795962425347/photo/1
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165

GIN1138 said:

A Metropolitan police officer disciplined after an inquiry into misogynistic and racist messages has since been promoted, the Guardian has learned, as Cressida Dick was warned she could lose the confidence of the mayor of London.

Misconduct was proven against the unnamed officer after a watchdog inquiry into messages about hitting and raping women, which were shared by up to 19 officers based mainly at Charing Cross police station.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/02/met-officer-was-promoted-despite-misconduct-over-sexist-and-racist-messages

Why do I get the feeling that is by no means the first time you've wanted to get Dick Out? 😉
    Johnson should get Dick out, because Khan can’t.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    edited February 2022

darkage said:

Harsh, but possibly fair...

Christopher Snowdon
    @cjsnowdon
    ·
    1h
    I bet you the levelling up agenda amounts to nothing more than appointing some dodgy mayors, putting on more buses nobody uses and introducing some idiotic anti-obesity policies. With lots of money for Deloitte and Serco.

https://twitter.com/cjsnowdon/status/1488940723403739159

I have been looking through the document.
    It’s depressingly chaotic; feels Brownian, and not in a good way.

Turns out it’s hard to Level Up when you’ve made promises to everybody but have decided not to spend any money.
    This is a good policy by passing the upgrade of buy to lets to the landlord

Apparently 800,000 homes to be bought upto standard at a cost of £12-15,000 per home

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy-to-let/landlords-hit-15000-bills-levelling-plans/
    It is reasonable to have a minimum standard, and of course the landlords should pay.

In fact, it seems this policy doesn’t go far enough, as it’s part of the pledge is to decrease the “number of non-decent rented homes by 50% by 2030”, which begs the question, what about the other 50%?

But the point is, what’s this got to do with levelling up, which fundamentally should be about the problem of poor productivity outside the South East.

Gove’s document is a great a la carte of stuff, with no money behind it, which means that little is likely to be achieved.
    As far as I can see this is just piling more regulation on the private rented sector, which is already over regulated, causing landlords to quit the market, so reducing available properties, and pushing rents up.

The real problem is with landlords who just ignore all the regulations. Unless you start to find ways of shutting this sector down, then the same problems will prevail and nothing will really change.

I was a witness in a case where a Council issued a prohibition order preventing one of these landlords from letting out a substandard property. The accomodation had hundreds of failings and was a death trap on almost every possible level, but the landlord represented himself in the hearing, told 'fundamental inaccuracies' to the judge, and somehow won the case on a techicality. This Council had hired a barrister and a team of several senior officials spent the day in court.

These landlords just wont even notice the creation of a 'register of landlords'. They will just ignore everything the government does.
    Possibly true.
    I don’t have an informed view on ways to improve rental quality.

The point is, it’s not levelling up.
    It may be worthy, but it’s something else.

It’s not going to stop the issue whereby Yorkshire GDP is falling behind former East Germany, former Czechoslovakia, etc, with Spain, the Baltics and even Portugal hot on its heels.

I don’t think British people, who are immersed after all in London-dominated media, fully realise what has happened in the past couple of decades in terms of living standards.
    There are other proposals in the paper as well. They just threw in a load of random other stuff from Gove's department. Its about 300 pages long.
    The BoZo relaunch in the Sun has a very "quiet man turning up the volume" vibe to it.
  • (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    44m
    Understand No.10 now concede a leadership challenge is inevitable. Source; “The threshold will be met”.

• HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

German media cartoon today……. Boris Johnson, the laughing stock of Europe.
    (Translation: „look over there, the Russians are coming“ while he holds the Partygate report behind his back) https://twitter.com/Germans4indyref/status/1488947605493198852/photo/1

Appalling cartoon, especially given the German government is doing sod all to help the Ukrainians as Russian troops mass at their border
    Boris as Col. Blimp is worth less than zero to Ukraine.

BUT gives Putin a good laugh at his understudy's - and UK's - expense.
  • GIN1138 said:

Johnson should get Dick out, because Khan can’t.
    Who is going to Patel her the bad news?
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Christopher Snowdon
    @cjsnowdon
    ·
    1h
    I bet you the levelling up agenda amounts to nothing more than appointing some dodgy mayors, putting on more buses nobody uses and introducing some idiotic anti-obesity policies. With lots of money for Deloitte and Serco.

Turns out it’s hard to Level Up when you’ve made promises to everybody but have decided not to spend any money.

Apparently 800,000 homes to be bought upto standard at a cost of £12-15,000 per home

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy-to-let/landlords-hit-15000-bills-levelling-plans/
    It is reasonable to have a minimum standard, and of course the landlords should pay.

In fact, it seems this policy doesn’t go far enough, as it’s part of the pledge is to decrease the “number of non-decent rented homes by 50% by 2030”, which begs the question, what about the other 50%?

But the point is, what’s this got to do with levelling up, which fundamentally should be about the problem of poor productivity outside the South East.

Gove’s document is a great a la carte of stuff, with no money behind it, which means that little is likely to be achieved.
    As far as I can see this is just piling more regulation on the private rented sector, which is already over regulated, causing landlords to quit the market, so reducing available properties, and pushing rents up.

The real problem is with landlords who just ignore all the regulations. Unless you start to find ways of shutting this sector down, then the same problems will prevail and nothing will really change.

I was a witness in a case where a Council issued a prohibition order preventing one of these landlords from letting out a substandard property. The accomodation had hundreds of failings and was a death trap on almost every possible level, but the landlord represented himself in the hearing, told 'fundamental inaccuracies' to the judge, and somehow won the case on a techicality. This Council had hired a barrister and a team of several senior officials spent the day in court.

These landlords just wont even notice the creation of a 'register of landlords'. They will just ignore everything the government does.
    Possibly true.
    I don’t have an informed view on ways to improve rental quality.

The point is, it’s not levelling up.
    It may be worthy, but it’s something else.

It’s not going to stop the issue whereby Yorkshire GDP is falling behind former East Germany, former Czechoslovakia, etc, with Spain, the Baltics and even Portugal hot on its heels.

I don’t think British people, who are immersed after all in London-dominated media, fully realise what has happened in the past couple of decades in terms of living standards.
    There are other proposals in the paper as well. They just threw in a load of random other stuff from Gove's department. Its about 300 pages long.
    I know. I started to wade through it this afternoon. I’m disappointed in Gove. I thought he was better than this.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    darkage said:

Christopher Snowdon
    @cjsnowdon
    ·
    1h

All it takes is some well defined standards and the will to actually push through prosecutions.

Then again, since 2000 until a couple of years ago, there were areas of London where legal building work couldn't be made to pay. The cash in hand types did all the jobs.

I pointed out to several people in the government line that it would be trivial to shut it down. Banks have to report big cash withdrawals. So correlate people withdrawing large amounts of cash (we are talking 5 figures at a time here) with publicly available data (no privacy issue) on who has planning permission and works in progress. If someone is drawing £12K on a weekly basis and has a house being ripped out and redone, its a racing certainty that he isn't blowing it at the dog track....

Interestingly, some enforcement seemed to kick in around 2018/2019. Some.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    edited February 2022

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    44m
    Understand No.10 now concede a leadership challenge is inevitable. Source; “The threshold will be met”.

Wow. How reliable is Dan Hodges, I wonder?
    edited February 2022

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

(Translation: „look over there, the Russians are coming“ while he holds the Partygate report behind his back) https://twitter.com/Germans4indyref/status/1488947605493198852/photo/1

Appalling cartoon, especially given the German government is doing sod all to help the Ukrainians as Russian troops mass at their border
    Whatever one thinks of the Germans, the reality is that Boris is portrayed as a sleazy buffoon right around the world.
    That's not terribly surprising. I mean, the bastard is a sleazy buffoon.
    I LOLed.

I follow the NZ press (and below the line commentary), and even the Toriest equivalents there think Boris is a total chump.
    That would be the New Zealand Tories who Ardern trounced last year and are currently wetter than a wet blanket.

Landslide winner Boris does not need to worry what they think of him
  • Scott_xP said:

The BoZo relaunch in the Sun has a very "quiet man turning up the volume" vibe to it.

A quiet clown? Boris Johnson as Marcel Marceau!
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Andy_JS said:

"Daily Covid stats to be ditched... but not until April: No10 'intends to scrap constant updates' under plan to live with virus like flu"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10468183/Daily-Covid-stats-ditched-not-APRIL.html

But what will we do at 4pm every afternoon....

In all seriousness, it is very sensible move. I don't think it is really helping anybody now to keep seeing these figures, and then most people won't know a lot of the nuances behind them.
    Data is useful - we use these data in research I’m involved in - and data should be open and available. If some people are too obsessed with checking these figures, that’s not the fault of the data! If you want people to stop worrying about COVID-19, convince them that they don’t need to worry.

PS: Making nonsense claims - e.g. it’s just like a bad cold - is not going to be very persuasive.
    Thats not a nonsense claim for the vaccinated and previously infected though, its the truth. @Foxy has had it for a few days, is mostly through it, and says it was bad, but not that bad.
    You see, actual medical research involves collecting data from multiple people, not just stopping after one anecdote from someone, nice though they are, on a message board.

Even before any vaccinations, even with earlier strains, there was always variation in people’s reactions to infection. Some people were completely asymptomatic. Some had mild symptoms. Some had worst symptoms. Some needed hospitalisation. Some died.

I’m glad Foxy came off lightly. With vaccinations and prior infections, with Omicron, we do expect more people to have fewer symptoms. However, it’s still not just like the flu or a bad cold. That’s grade A nonsense, bordering on conspiracy theory. It remains a more serious infection: more people have worse symptoms than flu or a bad cold.
    Yes, its fair enough that it is a bit more severe than a bad cold for some. I think you need to ask who is dying at the moment though. It is mostly the unvaccinated and the frail. Thats not me being callous, its the truth. For the vaccinated person who is not generally frail or ill with other issues, omicron in particular is not a terrifying disease. Its really not a conspiracy theory to say this.
    It’s not a “bit more severe than a bad cold”. It’s a lot more severe. I am unclear why you are so resistant to this basic fact.

Is COVID-19 “terrifying”? I’m not, at a personal level, terrified of it. But maybe a comparison is useful here? We think back on polio as a terrifying condition. But like COVID, people’s responses vary. Most polio infections are asymptomatic; some people have flu-like symptoms. But in about 1% of cases, it crosses into the central nervous system, and in about half of those cases, it causes this horrendous and terrifying paralytic condition.

Vaccinations help, Omicron is milder, most people here have nothing to fear. The news is definitely good in the war on COVID-19. But downplaying the remaining risk isn’t going to make COVID go away any quicker, just as pretending Partygate has run out of steam doesn’t actually mean Johnson isn’t still in trouble.
    I don’t know how you are ‘ranking’ your illnesses. You even admit that most people have nothing to fear. I’m not downplaying remaining risks. Everyone should get vaccinated. Even then some will die. I am incredibly frustrated though that we fixate only on Covid death. Around 200 people are dying of Covid every day in the U.K. Around 600,000 will due each year of all causes.
    Tbh I don’t really understand your beef with my views.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Whatever one thinks of the Germans, the reality is that Boris is portrayed as a sleazy buffoon right around the world.
    I LOLed.

I follow the NZ press (and below the line commentary), and even the Toriest equivalents there think Boris is a total chump.
    That would be the New Zealand Tories who Ardern trounced last year and are currently wetter than a wet blanket.

Actually, Jacinda’s finally being rumbled after a series of shit covid decisions. National has a new leader and the last poll had them winning government.

I’m any case, your crap is irrelevant.

I’m merely noting that even ideological fellow travellers around the world think Boris is a numpty.
  • Scott_xP said:

🚨 Gauntlet thrown…

Defiant BoJo tells @theSun readers he won’t quit over partygate as he launched an 8-year blueprint to fix Britain.

Embattled PM rejects calls to resign and said he will seek re-election in 2023 saying: “I’ve got a lot more to do”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17525872/boris-johnson-partygate-next-election/

2023?

That is a genuine LOL !!!

Whatever happens if Johnson is still PM he will have to go to the country at the very last moment.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris as Col. Blimp is worth less than zero to Ukraine.

BUT gives Putin a good laugh at his understudy's - and UK's - expense.
    You can’t compare Boris to Colonel Blimp. The Colonel was a man of honour, honour to his enemy, honest, truthful, genuine. Maybe misguided in his later years but from a place of honesty and belief in the greater good.

I would love to be half the man the fictional Blimp was, Boris is less than half the real man I am…….
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Heathener said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    44m

More reliable than Peston 😂
  • HYUFD said:

Dramatic news.

The Conservative Party has just voted to remove their leader ...

Finally

You can now join the rest of us seeking a new PM who you will support wholeheartedly, and deny you ever wanted Boris to stay on
    Lawrence Fox's Reclaim Party claims Britain has an overeducated population

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1488988473147150336?s=20&t=nK7H48F09GbXQFXyUDNIvg
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Heathener said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    44m

Somebody who confuses a 'leadership challenge' with a 'vote of no confidence' isn't terribly reliable.

But in this case it seems likely he's right. The pressure on Johnson isn't relenting and he isn't showing any sign of being able to turn things around.
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    44m

Somebody who confuses a 'leadership challenge' with a 'vote of no confidence' isn't terribly reliable.

But in this case it seems likely he's right. The pressure on Johnson isn't relenting and he isn't showing any sign of being able to turn things around.
    It what sense is a VONC not a leadership challenge?
    edited February 2022

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    44m

It what sense is a VONC not a leadership challenge?
    It's a challenge to his leadership, but not a 'leadership challenge' which would normally involve an individual trying to replace him.
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

Actually, Jacinda’s finally being rumbled after a series of shit covid decisions. National has a new leader and the last poll had them winning government.

I’m merely noting that even ideological fellow travellers around the world think Boris is a numpty.
    Last poll gives New Zealand Labour still an 8% lead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_New_Zealand_general_election

Boris is the most successful right of centre leader in the Western world at the moment other than Scott Morrison.

The only Conservative leader who won their last general election in any major Western nation apart from Morrison and indeed with a bigger majority even than Morrison did in Australia.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231
    edited February 2022
    Update on Joe Rogan situation, as Yoko Ono wades in.

If Spotify doesn't remove Rogan's podcast, she has threatened to put her music on the service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpX1wBrCymo
  • HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1488988473147150336?s=20&t=nK7H48F09GbXQFXyUDNIvg

He only received 1.9% of the vote in the London mayoral election so from his pov..

I’m sure there was at least one PBer who thought he might do quite well.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Should I be suspicious, because the cell phone case I ordered for my new gadget, has been "processed" and dispatched from Richard Nixon's hometown?

More worried about the hard- and software in the gadget itself coming from Xi's home country.
    It's a burner phone, though of far less interest to Beijing than if it was being used by a drug cartel or hot car ring.
    rcs1000 said:

If Spotify doesn't remove Rogan's podcast, she has threatened to put her music on the service.

I think James Blunt got there first with that threat. If Yoko really wanted to worry Spotify she would threaten to marry their servers.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

? Latest NZ poll: Labour 40, Green (allies) 9, National 32, ACT 11.

Not as overwhelming as last time (50/8/26/8) but still good enough
    Interesting thread on severity of Covid vs seasonal flu with time.
    https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1488089690045562882
  • Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

Last poll gives New Zealand Labor still an 8% lead

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_New_Zealand_general_election
    The NZ National Party does finally have a credible leader again but they may have gone for Luxon too soon as Ardern is probably still likely to narrowly win the next election and remain PM until 2026 as the previous Labour and National led gvts have both lasted 9 years each going back to 1999.
    rcs1000 said:

Heavens, she and James Blunt really are piling the pressure on, aren't they?

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

Yes, I was referring to the poll before that where National/ACT would win government.

Jacinda’s popularity is sagging though. She’s made several mistakes on Covid, her fiancé was caught up in a minor scandal, and National has a credible new leader.

The long honeymoon is over for her, I think.
    boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

I think James Blunt got there first with that threat. If Yoko really wanted to worry Spotify she would threaten to marry their servers.
    Yoko is now my neighbour.

Kind of.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

Scott_xP said:

A quiet clown? Boris Johnson as Marcel Marceau!
    I can't see him getting out of that glass box.....

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

Yes, I was referring to the poll before that where National/ACT would win government.

Jacinda’s popularity is sagging though. She’s made several mistakes on Covid, her fiancé was caught up in a minor scandal, and National has a credible new leader.

What mistakes has she made on Covid, in your opinion? And what was th scandal of the fiancée?
  • HYUFD said:

He only received 1.9% of the vote in the London mayoral election so from his pov..

Not this one, I advised laying Gammons, Laurence Fox, Shaun Bailey, and Brian Rose.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/04/21/great-news-for-those-of-us-who-like-laying-gammons-laurence-fox-shaun-bailey-and-brian-rose/

• Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    1h
    @AnthonyMangnal1
    : "I'm a 32-year-old Member of Parliament. I was elected at 30. I did not come into politics to lie to people.
    "I did not come in to be lied to by colleagues. I did not come into politics to lower the standard of debate. I came here to help my constituents..."

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1488976211506253826

HYUFD said:

Not this one, I advised laying Gammons, Laurence Fox, Shaun Bailey, and Brian Rose.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/04/21/great-news-for-those-of-us-who-like-laying-gammons-laurence-fox-shaun-bailey-and-brian-rose/
    And not one of them a redhead...

boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

Kind of.
    Well if she’s noisy maybe just knock on the door and say “Yoko, give peace a chance.”
    boulay said:

boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

Kind of.
    Well if she’s noisy maybe just knock on the door and say “Yoko, give peace a chance.”
    And she will refuse and say, Ono.

Good night.
    Councillor Charlie Edwards "sorry for offence caused" by PM defence https://bbc.in/3HpRsvI
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

There are particular sensitivities in Germany sending troops to that part of the world on both sides.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

There are particular sensitivities in Germany sending troops to that part of the world on both sides.
    I don't see why there should be, it's not as if the Nazis are still in charge. I'm sure Ukraine would welcome any and all help.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,462

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

What mistakes has she made on Covid, in your opinion? And what was th scandal of the fiancée?
    As this is pedanticbetting.com I feel duty bound

Fiancé
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

HYUFD said:

Well, apart from coming behind some youtuber he did top the list of the alsorans, so his was the highest 'non-mainstream' party. I suspect he'd intended to do better than that though.

It was just a shame he beat out Count Binface, unlike UKIP, various other right and left wing loons, and my favourites, the Burning Pink Party, who apparently wish to replace the government with citizen assemblies, and their supporters must therefore see voting as wrong as they put them dead last on 0.2%.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

As this is pedanticbetting.com I feel duty bound

Fiancé
    I’m blaming autocorrect, and laziness on not correcting autocorrect. And I salute your pedantry.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    darkage said:

Cracking down on the rubbish landlords sounds an excellent idea - there are plenty of decent ones around. I'm used to renting from countries where it's the norm, and see no reason to want to buy somewhere, but when I've looked around, the rent always seemed determined almost ENTIRELY by number of rooms and location. When I was flat-hunting in Holloway, I found a very nice, modern, well-heated 1-bed flat, but had been offered another flat with a broken door, roughly secured by a metal grille, a heating system that didn't work, and a bloodstained carpet at just £50/month less - even the agent showing it looked taken aback and muttered that I could "try an offer". Various others in the area were between the two extremes. I had similar experiences in Nottingham - my modern flat was £500/month, while battered, grim places down the road with discarded rubbish and broken white goods in the garden cost exactly the same.

The good side if that is that if you hunt around you can find a decent landlord charging no more than the rubbish one. But it does mean that bad landlords don't really have an incentive to improve, since they don't seem to get a premium for it. Higher minimum standards may in fact be a good idea - if, as you say, actually enforced.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yet people can quite rightly question why Germany is so full of war guilt towards Russia and yet no such sentiment seems to exist towards Ukraine.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    kle4 said:

Well, apart from coming behind some youtuber he did top the list of the alsorans, so his was the highest 'non-mainstream' party. I suspect he'd intended to do better than that though.

My intial reading of this, "who the hell are the alsorans?"
    edited February 2022
    glw said:

kle4 said:

A great idea for a new Dr Who villain?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    HYUFD said:

Only it is in Canada.

The Conservative Party of Canada's caucus of MPs has voted to remove Erin O'Toole as their leader after he lost last year's general election to PM Trudeau

https://www.cbc.ca/

Ah yes, the world's most pointless democratic election of 2021, as Trudeau went early to get a majority and everyone got the same number of seats, give or take a few from the last election.
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

1. The national quarantine service has been highly restrictive such that many New Zealanders have not been able to go home for two years and counting. No humane exceptions have been made even for dire situations. Yet DJs, entertainers and sportspeople have been able to enter NZ. This is highly offensive to NZ sense of fair play, and the Charlotte Bellis case was the last straw.

2. NZ failed to order any/enough LFT kits.
    Private businesses started to order them in, the Ministry of Health slapped an import ban on them and had existing imports impounded to add to the “national stock”.

3. A positive COVID test gives you at least 10 days isolation, but household contacts need to isolate for TWENTY FOUR days. Employers are expecting a wipe-out of staff as Omicron takes hold. The rule is draconian.

As for Jacinda’s no-hoper fiancé, he was caught trying to pressure a pharmacist to sell LFTs to his DJ mates.

I’m afraid if you look into Jacinda’s record it is very poor, and even the last poll HYUFD mentions has her PM favourability behind the new National Party leaders’.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    edited February 2022

Really interesting look at the benefit from vaccinations there, emphasising that it is vaccination that has made the biggest difference, rather than the relative mildness of Omicron.

Somewhat sobering that it's actually still more deadly than seasonal flu, even with the effectiveness of the vaccines, for those aged over 60.
  • NEW THREAD

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Big words from the person who insists that we should stay out of it because Ukraine isn't a NATO country.
    We should send supplies not troops, as we have been such as anti tank weaponary

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

1. The national quarantine service has been highly restrictive such that many New Zealanders have not been able to go home for two years and counting. No humane exceptions have been made even for dire situations. Yet DJs, entertainers and sportspeople have been able to enter NZ. This is highly offensive to NZ sense of fair play, and the Charlotte Bellis case was the last straw.

Private businesses started to order them in, the Ministry of Health slapped an import ban on them and had existing imports impounded to add to the “national stock”.

3. A positive COVID test gives you at least 10 days isolation, but household contacts need to isolate for TWENTY FOUR days. Employers are expecting a wipe-out of staff as Omicron takes hold. The rule is draconian.

As for Jacinda’s no-hoper fiancé, he was caught trying to pressure a pharmacist to sell LFTs to his DJ mates.

I’m afraid if you look into Jacinda’s record it is very poor, and even the last poll HYUFD mentions has her PM favourability behind the new National Party leaders’.
    Cheers. I used to follow NZ news a lot more closely (worked there for a year and dated a kiwi for a while after) but have not done so for a while. It’s also interesting to here about other countries where decisions are criticised. Too often it seems like it’s just our numpties that make mistakes.

glw said:

kle4 said:

A great idea for a new Dr Who villain?
    Earth people! We are the Alsorans!!

(You can safely ignore us.)

Really interesting look at the benefit from vaccinations there, emphasising that it is vaccination that has made the biggest difference, rather than the relative mildness of Omicron.

Somewhat sobering that it's actually still more deadly than seasonal flu, even with the effectiveness of the vaccines, for those aged over 60.
    Yes, although it’s not hugely so, and it’s interesting for the younger ages that it’s less deadly than flu, so to be contentious, a bit like a bad cold, but only if you are under 60 and vaccinated.
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I LOLed.

Cheers. I used to follow NZ news a lot more closely (worked there for a year and dated a kiwi for a while after) but have not done so for a while. It’s also interesting to here about other countries where decisions are criticised. Too often it seems like it’s just our numpties that make mistakes.
    Despite all of the above, Jacinda (or her advisers) made the right call early on.

It’s absurd to read often on here, “Better UK than crazy NZ where you can’t get in or out!”

My NZ relatives have had a generally fantastic quality of life over the past two years while the UK suffered 150,000 deaths.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Brandon Lewis really is a tosser. A big supporter of Johnson is prepared to put the GFA in jeopardy to save Big Dog.

Time for the sensible wing of the Conservative Party to put and end to this farce
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455

Yes, although it’s not hugely so, and it’s interesting for the younger ages that it’s less deadly than flu, so to be contentious, a bit like a bad cold, but only if you are under 60 and vaccinated.
    Yes, it's good enough to be getting on with.

Brandon Lewis really is a tosser. A big supporter of Johnson is prepared to put the GFA in jeopardy to save Big Dog.

Time for the sensible wing of the Conservative Party to put and end to this farce

I look forward to PB Tories welcoming Sturgeon unilaterally breaking internal law.
    The bizarre thing is that the great majority of Northern Irish support the NIP.

So Brandon is winking as Poots breaks international law for the sake of a few zealots in bowler hats and orange sashes.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    HYUFD said:

There's no danger of anybody accusing Laurence Fox of being overeducated.
  • The bizarre thing is that the great majority of Northern Irish support the NIP.

So Brandon is winking as Poots breaks international law for the sake of a few zealots in bowler hats and orange sashes.

...and drums and kazoos...

The bizarre thing is that the great majority of Northern Irish support the NIP.

Not the great majority, most Unionists oppose it and the remainer apart from SF hardliners will not be bothered about no Irish Sea checks as long as no border in Ireland
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

BTW have we discussed this? From 2019.

Boris Johnson has declared money spent on non-recent child abuse investigations as “spaffed up a wall”, prompting immediate criticism from Labour for making reckless and inappropriate comments.

The current favourite to succeed Theresa May as Conservative leader was arguing that police time and resources were being wasted on crimes committed years ago as he was questioned on an LBC radio phone-in on Wednesday morning.

He said: “And one comment I would make is I think an awful lot of money and an awful lot of police time now goes into these historic offences and all this malarkey.

“You know, £60m I saw was being spaffed up a wall on some investigation into historic child abuse and all this kind of thing. What on earth is that going to do to protect the public now?”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/13/boris-johnson-under-fire-over-remarks-about-child-abuse-inquiries?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

What do you mean - have we discussed it? It was in my sodding header!

"In March 2019 he complained about the £60 million “spaffed up the wall” on child abuse inquiries."

Honestly, don't you read them? Sniff, sob, etc etc.
  • New price cap to rise to £1,971
This discussion has been closed.