Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The markets edge back to Johnson but 2022 exit still odds on – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Simon Clarke doubling down on Starmer/Savile. The Conservatives clearly think this is a bone for Big Dog to chew.

I told you all on Monday that this was a very bad subliminal message for Labour to deal with, tying Starmer to Savile
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

Filing under things that ain't ever going to happen

The Times
    @thetimes
    Up-pointing red triangle JUST IN: Boris Johnson has been warned that more Tory MPs will put in letters of no confidence unless he retracts his claim that Sir Keir Starmer failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile when he was director of public prosecutions

Both of them. Obviously he wont retract as he's already double downed, and those who've not already put in a letter would be pushed over the edge in defence of Keir? Give me a break.
    Actually I believe it.

In my call earlier, it'll be a race to the bottom, as it legitimises this.

I don't expect Starmer to rise to it, but some leftie outrider will.

Thatcher "responded by inviting the now-disgraced DJ to lunch at Chequers, spending 11 consecutive New Year’s Eves with him and overseeing his knighthood"

https://twitter.com/andrewspoooner/status/1488823436113854465
    Savile also was invited to Chequers by Blair

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/scots-pop-guru-alan-mcgee-23546990
    It is fascinating. He must have had some Satanic charm. So many smart people taken in. He gave me the creeps when I was 12, so I wasn’t taken it, but Thatcher, Blair, all of them….

WTF was it? It deserves a book. Or a Netflix documentary, or something
    Steve Coogan plays Savile in a new ITV drama I believe
    BBC - they got criticised for doing it.

Coogan does a fantastic Savile, so should be good.
    It's a horrible idea. 'Hitler the series' ?
    Tbf Hitler has popped up in a lot of tv and films over the years.
    Yes, but he really had a huge influence on history. Unavoidable. There's no reason to revisit Saville.
    I tend to disagree. The story is not Saville, its the people around him, and why he was able to do what he did. I think that there are still parallels for now too - child abuse is still occuring, both of the mass gang grooming kind, and the creepy family friend kind. Our attitudes and how we deal with this is important, and a sensible reflection on Saville, a primae facie weird human being getting away with unspeakable acts, and never brought to book is timely.
    I know this is 20/20 hindsight - and then some - but if you look closely at that pic of Savile with Thatch, and zero in on his eyes, his eyes actually seem to be saying “Yep, I’m an evil pedo, and I’m getting away with it”
    Best not post too many selfies yourself, eh, Sean?
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

I wonder why this has leaked today. Priti on manoeuvres?

The BBC reporting that last year No.10 overruled the Home Secretary to keep the Met Commissioner in her job. One for historians of Johnson's fall to ponder.

https://twitter.com/arthistorynews/status/1488870878943354881

How interesting. She again looked pissed off today, and nodding to SKS earlier in the week when he was talking about honesty and integrity was extraordinary (to me anyway).

I think you're right: she's manoeuvring.
  • Simon Clarke doubling down on Starmer/Savile. The Conservatives clearly think this is a bone for Big Dog to chew.

I told you all on Monday that this was a very bad subliminal message for Labour to deal with, tying Starmer to Savile

I think it has more tied Savile to Johnson and I think that is damaging to him. The victims have called on him to withdraw it.
  • HYUFD said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes
    Up-pointing red triangle JUST IN: Boris Johnson has been warned that more Tory MPs will put in letters of no confidence unless he retracts his claim that Sir Keir Starmer failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile when he was director of public prosecutions

Both of them. Obviously he wont retract as he's already double downed, and those who've not already put in a letter would be pushed over the edge in defence of Keir? Give me a break.
    Actually I believe it.

Thatcher "responded by inviting the now-disgraced DJ to lunch at Chequers, spending 11 consecutive New Year’s Eves with him and overseeing his knighthood"

Did she really spend NYE with him on 11 consecutive occasions? I mean, I watch Jools Holland every NYE, but them I'm a boring ****.
    There's some doubt about this, Savile said he spent 11 consecutive Christmases but those who knew Thatcher said it wasn't likely, a few, but not 11.
    I think when one is arguing about how many times Savile was invited round for New Year, the main argument may have been lost.

Indeed

Who the hell sits down IN NUMBER 10 DOWNING STREET and thinks, Hmm, I’m one of the most important people in the world, I can basically invite who I like to Chequers and most will come, so who will I invite around for NYE?

“I know, Jimmy Savile! Wearing those amusing clothes!”

Please do not take the Blessed Margaret's name in vein.

It was a momentary lapse of judgement I suspect, remember he had 19 million viewers at his peak in the 1980s for Jim'll Fix It so she was not alone.

The fact he was invited to Chequers by the 2 most dominant PMs of the last 50 years and was close to Prince Charles and senior figures in the Roman Catholic Church and the police shows he knew how to effectively suck up to the rich and powerful.

BR also used him for many years in an advertising campaign
    Such rampant hypocritical bollocks. A "momentary lapse of judgement" unlike the massive desperate failure of Starmer you say?

Laughable.
  • I wonder why this has leaked today. Priti on manoeuvres?

The BBC reporting that last year No.10 overruled the Home Secretary to keep the Met Commissioner in her job. One for historians of Johnson's fall to ponder.

For all her failings she might be the only cabinet member with the guts to stand up to the PM (half behind his back of course).
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370

Anna Mikhailova @AVMikhailova

Talk among MPs of another no confidence letter going in at 5pm

PM’s refusal to withdraw the Jimmy Savile comment apparently the trigger

If that's true, it's looking like a coordinated plan. Interesting that our very own Aaron immediately retweeted Anthony Mangnall's tweet and praised him.

Would it be too much to suggest that this comment was a deliberate tactic to force a vote sooner rather than later, because BJ thinks he has more chance of winning one before the May elections and be safe for another 12 months.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/scots-pop-guru-alan-mcgee-23546990
    It is fascinating. He must have had some Satanic charm. So many smart people taken in. He gave me the creeps when I was 12, so I wasn’t taken it, but Thatcher, Blair, all of them….

Excellent. Hopefully the screenwriter is up to the task

Coogan is a brilliant choice. Quite an obnoxious man, in some respects (apparently The Trip is basically factual) but he is a genius at inhabiting other personae. I imagine he will do a superbly creepy Savile
    Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle is brilliant and very apposite considering Brexit and now levellinp up.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    Heathener said:

I was thinking about HY asking me to respond this morning and I just don't have the time or inclination to enter into a back and forth with someone who is like a JW.

However, for the wider community I think 1990 is an interesting comparison. After 3 stunning General Election victories, Margaret Thatcher had become toxic. The poll tax was the final straw. Labour were getting regular double-digit opinion poll leads.

So the Conservative MPs did (well sort of did) what they needed to in order to save the party. They ditched Maggie. This still sticks in the throat of some diehards who didn't get it, and couldn't see what was coming.

The result? John Major pulled off an unexpected victory in 1992.

We tend to judge Major by what happened next, but without the ERM fiasco of Black Wednesday it's possible he might have retrieved things.

Is 2022 like 1990? Yes and no. Boris Johnson is more toxic now than even Margaret Thatcher, for the reason that he has alienated everybody across all parts of his party and beyond. This isn't one clique. He has upset everyone. And he is no Margaret Thatcher. She had her faults, by heck, but she was a straight no nonsense person and a great PM.

By the same token Sir Keir Starmer is no Neil Kinnock. He's a bit dour and drab but let's just say that SKS would never do a Sheffield Rally.

My point is this. If the tories ditch Johnson now I think they stand a chance in 2024. If they don't, they're out for a generation.

Another stunningly boring comment, without a trace of wit, or even mental life. You’re like a kind of primitive slime, on the cusp of existence, that burps in hot weather, in a way that mimics sentience

How do you do it? Genuine Q. No offence intended
  • dixiedean said:

If that's true, it's looking like a coordinated plan. Interesting that our very own Aaron immediately retweeted Anthony Mangnall's tweet and praised him.

Perhaps they hope that a slow trickle combined with a visit from the men in grey will result in a resignation before 54 is reached?
    They may hope that.
    I'm hoping for a threesome with the Minogue sisters.
    Been there done that. (in my dreams anyway)
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Why is she so hated? I think she's really very good. Obviously has faults too.
  • Heathener said:

I was thinking about HY asking me to respond this morning and I just don't have the time or inclination to enter into a back and forth with someone who is like a JW.

However, for the wider community I think 1990 is an interesting comparison. After 3 stunning General Election victories, Margaret Thatcher had become toxic. The poll tax was the final straw. Labour were getting regular double-digit opinion poll leads.

So the Conservative MPs did (well sort of did) what they needed to in order to save the party. They ditched Maggie. This still sticks in the throat of some diehards who didn't get it, and couldn't see what was coming.

We tend to judge Major by what happened next, but without the ERM fiasco of Black Wednesday it's possible he might have retrieved things.

Is 2022 like 1990? Yes and no. Boris Johnson is more toxic now than even Margaret Thatcher, for the reason that he has alienated everybody across all parts of his party and beyond. This isn't one clique. He has upset everyone. And he is no Margaret Thatcher. She had her faults, by heck, but she was a straight no nonsense person and a great PM.

By the same token Sir Keir Starmer is no Neil Kinnock. He's a bit dour and drab but let's just say that SKS would never do a Sheffield Rally.

My point is this. If the tories ditch Johnson now I think they stand a chance in 2024. If they don't, they're out for a generation.

The point about Major, almost as an aside to your main point, is that Black Wednesday was entirely of his own doing. He was the one who, as Chancellor had campaigned so hard for and had convinced Thatcher that the UK should join the ERM. So there is something wonderfully poetic about the fact it was this that brought him down in the end.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Heathener said:

Good analysis. My only question, slightly tongue-in-cheek, is do you mean a Scottish generation? :D

Heathener said:

The point about Major, almost as an aside to your main point, is that Black Wednesday was entirely of his own doing. He was the one who, as Chancellor had campaigned so hard for and had convinced Thatcher that the UK should join the ERM. So there is something wonderfully poetic about the fact it was this that brought him down in the end.
    Very true. Good point.

Ironically, it was our ejection from the ERM that paved the way for this country's stunning economic boom over the next 20 years.
  • Leon said:

DavidL said:

Covid infections over 3m again in the last week. Anecdotes are useless in this situation but the number of contributors on here that seem to have it right now is highly consistent with this. As I have said my son has it. He was really quite unwell for the first couple of days, coughing, sick, diarrhea, utterly exhausted, but we see an improvement today. Here's hoping that continues.

Best of British luck. He’s young, he should be fine. But it is a nasty virus which has not gone away
    Yes it has. Covid is over. Liar said so. And we can trust every word that he says can't we.
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Never met SirJammy, but was introduced to Sir Cyril Smith as a small boy. I remember a terrifying monster of a man and that was both of us fully clothed on Rochdale market. What went on - and the cover up - is a disgrace.

What is it about monsters being knighted...?
    Truly scary. I never really understood why Smith joined the Liberals. He was Labour through and through. Do you think he might have been warned off in exchange for Labour Party silence?
  • Omnium said:

She is another who think rules don't apply to her, and that the more power the leaders of the country, and conversely the fewer rights the rest of us have the better.
  • Leon said:

Heathener said:

Another stunningly boring comment, without a trace of wit, or even mental life. You’re like a kind of primitive slime, on the cusp of existence, that burps in hot weather, in a way that mimics sentience

Seems unnecessarily rude. You been on the juice again, or have you just had a bad review (you've surely have got used to those by now)? Or perhaps it has just dawned on you, as one of the last apologists for Johnson that he, and everything he stands for is a great big steaming pile of dog shit?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

For all her failings she might be the only cabinet member with the guts to stand up to the PM (half behind his back of course).
    Yep. Priti has a track record of not caving in to the PM.
    She doesn't have to burnish her right wing credentials with the wider Party, of course.
    I quite admire her for that
    Omnium said:

Operating a parallel foreign policy with Israel as FS isn't really the work of a true patriot.
  • London mayor Sadiq Khan could shut the Tube for days on end and close bridges and tunnels as a black hole in the city's transport budget soars to £1.5bn.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/02/london-tube-lines-could-be-shut-for-days-as-tfl-black-hole-soars-to-1500000000-16032468/

Having spent 3 days in London I can understand the problem. The lack of people travelling about in the middle is marked. I had seen some pictures but couldn't believe it until I saw it.

The drop in revenue must be brutal.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Yes, but he really had a huge influence on history. Unavoidable. There's no reason to revisit Saville.
    I tend to disagree. The story is not Saville, its the people around him, and why he was able to do what he did. I think that there are still parallels for now too - child abuse is still occuring, both of the mass gang grooming kind, and the creepy family friend kind. Our attitudes and how we deal with this is important, and a sensible reflection on Saville, a primae facie weird human being getting away with unspeakable acts, and never brought to book is timely.
    I know this is 20/20 hindsight - and then some - but if you look closely at that pic of Savile with Thatch, and zero in on his eyes, his eyes actually seem to be saying “Yep, I’m an evil pedo, and I’m getting away with it”
    Indeed. A 60 year old guy who says he likes best sleeping with teenage (prostitutes) and lusted after Emma Raducanu on here when she was just 17.

And he thinks he's funny. So did Jimmy Savile.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Heathener said:

Indeed. We joined at a laughably ridiculous DM rate, to paper over cracks in the Tory Party.
    Not much changes.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

He was given a pass to a sensitive NHS site with the decision made at a very high level of the Dept of Health. The Tories were running the country at the time. What I am not sure is whether the relevant Minister knew, but there is such a thing as responsibility fo r one'sa department (though that is conspicously lacking in Mr Johnson). And if the Tories are complaining about SKS and his running of the DPP, they might like to consider how compliciot they were in actually facilitating the crimes.
    Not sure that's quite the same. Ministers make decisions and I doubt that got to the top of the department (terrible as it was).

I'd be curious to know what sort of cases get reviewed by the DPP. Savile was quite high profile, so I'm slightly surprised that it didn't make its way to the top of the CPS.
    This was covered by Nazir Afzal this morning. Let's hope I get this right, probably not fully, so please correct where I have it wrong.

The police incorrectly told victims and the CPS that there were no other incidents other than theirs and each case was not put together with the others. So on the basis of 1 complaint in each case the CPS decided there wasn't the evidence to prosecute that case. Nasir also covered something regarding the independence of the prosecution, which I didn't really follow, but meant that the Director of the CPS would not be aware of this. He also pointed out that Starmer wasn't at the CPS at this time (rather important) After Starmer was appointed he appointed Nasir to review the problem of child abuse cases not being prosecuted and the prosecution rate significantly improved. So in fact Starmer was not only not responsible for the Saville failures but actually was instrumental in resolving the issues. In addition Nasir made an astounding claim (bearing in mind liable) re Johnson making a previous statement (I assume an article) about child abuse cases and spaffing money up the wall.

Sadly my recollection is not as good as hearing it first hand but it was rather damning.
    So Starmer's apology was for stuff that happened before he was DPP? I didn't realise that.

I don't know if records are kept regarding complaints. It's a shame that when others came forward, no one knew that it wasn't the first time an allegation had been made.
    AIUI it was analogous to David Cameron apologising for Bloody Sunday.

Didn't happen on his watch but as the incumbent it fell to him to apologise.
    Wikipedia says:

On 24 October 2012 the Crown Prosecution Service said the Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer, would review the service's decisions not to prosecute Savile in 2009 in relation to four claims against him for sexual abuse dating back to the 1970s.

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    We do have a bit of a conflict there don't we? I don't want to slag off Wikipedia as, as far as I am concerned, it is God. I can only assume there is some other explanation relating to an earlier date.
    This is the reference:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/jimmy-savile/9630550/Jimmy-Savile-What-George-Entwistle-told-MPs-about-Panorama-justthewomen-Newsnight-and-the-conversation-at-the-Hilton-Hotel.html

I don't have a Telegraph account, so can't read it.
    Same here. As I said Nazir, I think, was clear on the matter, yet dates seem to contradict that and I trust Nazir so I suspect that there is more to this that we don't know in terms of events and dates.
  • Covid cases rising in Wales and Northern Ireland - ONS
    More now on the latest infection estimates from the ONS, which cover the week ending 29 January.

The ONS say the rates for people testing positive were high but flat in England and rose in Wales and Northern Ireland. The trend was less certain in Scotland.

For that time period, these were estimated numbers with Covid:

1 in 20 people in England
    1 in 30 people in Scotland
    1 in 20 people in Wales
    1 in 15 people in Northern Ireland
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Never met SirJammy, but was introduced to Sir Cyril Smith as a small boy. I remember a terrifying monster of a man and that was both of us fully clothed on Rochdale market. What went on - and the cover up - is a disgrace.

I met Sir C once, at a Rochdale Liberal meeting. I can imagine that to a small boy he could have been a terrifying monster; he certainly wasn't good looking man. Very big and very fat. Of course, that was to hormonal (I think) problems.
  • I wonder why this has leaked today. Priti on manoeuvres?

I think she is the most likely to wield the knife, since she's unlikely to win the leadership as it stands and so may have less to lose from shaking things up a bit. Plus she's clearly being set up as the fall guy for the channel crossings (which she really has no ability to control) so the longer she stays in post the lower her stock will fall. I reckon she's got the bottle to do it, too, which others lack. Finally, I reckon she would just enjoy knifing Johnson in the back.

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Seems unnecessarily rude. You been on the juice again, or have you just had a bad review (you've surely have got used to those by now)? Or perhaps it has just dawned on you, as one of the last apologists for Johnson that he, and everything he stands for is a great big steaming pile of dog shit?
    You what? Heathener is consistently offensive to me, and I generally ignore his/her weird obsession, but surely I am allowed the odd little jab, to amuse myself, if no one else

And I could have been so much ruder…..
  • Heathener said:

That is probably a fair analysis. It would be karma if it were Brexit that brought down The Clown, but I really don't want to wait that long, so Partygate is good enough.

Omnium said:

Operating a parallel foreign policy with Israel as FS isn't really the work of a true patriot.
    Of course she paid for that - not sure about patriotism - concept or delivery.
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Indeed. A 60 year old guy who says he likes best sleeping with teenage (prostitutes) and lusted after Emma Raducanu on here when she was just 17.

Do you think the age of consent should be raised from 16 to 18? (While probably dropping the voting age in the other direction).
  • Heathener said:

Second Tory MP today.

Anthony Mangnall MP

Standards in public life matter.

At this time I can no longer support the PM. His actions and mistruths are overshadowing the extraordinary work of so many excellent ministers and colleagues.

I have submitted a letter of no confidence.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMangnal1/status/1488887664493445125

I sense that Ellwood is right: a VONC is inevitable.

If Johnson's stance this week had held up he might have got away with it but it seems that everything he touches turns to sewerage: from the Lynton Crosby fiasco (aka lie) to the Jimmy Savile slur (aka lie) to the latest partygate revelations (many lies) ... etc. etc.

He's clearly unfit for the office of prime minister.
    Its the collapse in his tactical nous that is stunning. The Saville comment was an attempt at a dead cat - but as has been pointed out you don't distract from lying by telling more lies.

He gets read the riot act by the Speaker at the start of PMQs and decides that repeating the same slur is the right strategy.

Its almost as if he has no political nous except that hired in from people like Crosby and Cummings. And yet HY etc keep insisting he is a political genius. Political pillock more like.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

You what? Heathener is consistently offensive to me, and I generally ignore his/her weird obsession, but surely I am allowed the odd little jab, to amuse myself, if no one else

And I could have been so much ruder…..
    My apologies. I shouldn't have waded into a personal feud, I will stand back and enjoy in future.
  • Omnium said:

Not sure hate but certainly dislike intensely and, to some extent, fear.

She is rabidly authoritarian yet pretends she is not. She appears to be, quite literally, an old fashioned hang-em and flog-em type of Home Secretary. Okay to be fair I have never heard her mention flogging but she has in the past being strongly in favour of the death penalty and I think her fundamental view is still in favour even if she cannot admit that publicly. There is no subtlety about her and the only language she seems to understand in terms of her job is that of threat and force.

I will be very glad when she is away from the Home Office.

• eekeek Posts: 27,481

London mayor Sadiq Khan could shut the Tube for days on end and close bridges and tunnels as a black hole in the city's transport budget soars to £1.5bn.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/02/london-tube-lines-could-be-shut-for-days-as-tfl-black-hole-soars-to-1500000000-16032468/

Having spent 3 days in London I can understand the problem. The lack of people travelling about in the middle is marked. I had seen some pictures but couldn't believe it until I saw it.

Yet at weekends travel numbers are little different to pre covid. It's just midweek travel and commuting that's been decimated.
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Do you think the age of consent should be raised from 16 to 18? (While probably dropping the voting age in the other direction).
    Probably, especially when there's a big age gap. The 'position of trust' doesn't really cover all predation.
    Andy_JS said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

He was given a pass to a sensitive NHS site with the decision made at a very high level of the Dept of Health. The Tories were running the country at the time. What I am not sure is whether the relevant Minister knew, but there is such a thing as responsibility fo r one'sa department (though that is conspicously lacking in Mr Johnson). And if the Tories are complaining about SKS and his running of the DPP, they might like to consider how compliciot they were in actually facilitating the crimes.
    Not sure that's quite the same. Ministers make decisions and I doubt that got to the top of the department (terrible as it was).

I'd be curious to know what sort of cases get reviewed by the DPP. Savile was quite high profile, so I'm slightly surprised that it didn't make its way to the top of the CPS.
    This was covered by Nazir Afzal this morning. Let's hope I get this right, probably not fully, so please correct where I have it wrong.

The police incorrectly told victims and the CPS that there were no other incidents other than theirs and each case was not put together with the others. So on the basis of 1 complaint in each case the CPS decided there wasn't the evidence to prosecute that case. Nasir also covered something regarding the independence of the prosecution, which I didn't really follow, but meant that the Director of the CPS would not be aware of this. He also pointed out that Starmer wasn't at the CPS at this time (rather important) After Starmer was appointed he appointed Nasir to review the problem of child abuse cases not being prosecuted and the prosecution rate significantly improved. So in fact Starmer was not only not responsible for the Saville failures but actually was instrumental in resolving the issues. In addition Nasir made an astounding claim (bearing in mind liable) re Johnson making a previous statement (I assume an article) about child abuse cases and spaffing money up the wall.

Sadly my recollection is not as good as hearing it first hand but it was rather damning.
    So Starmer's apology was for stuff that happened before he was DPP? I didn't realise that.

I don't know if records are kept regarding complaints. It's a shame that when others came forward, no one knew that it wasn't the first time an allegation had been made.

Wikipedia says:

On 24 October 2012 the Crown Prosecution Service said the Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer, would review the service's decisions not to prosecute Savile in 2009 in relation to four claims against him for sexual abuse dating back to the 1970s.

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    We do have a bit of a conflict there don't we? I don't want to slag off Wikipedia as, as far as I am concerned, it is God. I can only assume there is some other explanation relating to an earlier date.
    Why is Wikipedia God to you? I find it concerning that we used to rely on a variety of different encylopaedias and reference books until fairly recently, and now most people rely on just one. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
    Just a joke really as I didn't want dispute @tlg86 researched point, which I had no evidence was wrong and which was properly looked up and contradicted what I had reported.

I agree with you.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

I LITERALLY know nothing of this “Sean” character, but the amount some of you bang on about him tells me he looms large in your subconscious. I suspect some of you DREAM about him
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    kjh said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Wikipedia says:

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    This is the reference:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/jimmy-savile/9630550/Jimmy-Savile-What-George-Entwistle-told-MPs-about-Panorama-justthewomen-Newsnight-and-the-conversation-at-the-Hilton-Hotel.html

Same here. As I said Nazir, I think, was clear on the matter, yet dates seem to contradict that and I trust Nazir so I suspect that there is more to this that we don't know in terms of events and dates.
    The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/oct/24/jimmy-savile-dpp-2009-evidence

Cameron told the house that the DPP had ordered a review of the evidence considered by the CPS in 2009 relating to indecent assault allegations against Savile from the 1970s. The evidence was submitted by Surrey police, which began an investigation in 2007.

Fairly conclusive that this was on SKS's watch, not that I hold it against him. Whether or not it should have been escalated to the DPP in the first place, I don't know.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Look, there’s my weird bar snack on the left. Cheers

Stuff like this makes me appreciate the miracle of the internet. 200 years ago if I wanted to tell you all about the snack I was having I would have had to write you all individual letters with a goose quill, describing my snack with words, then put the sealed letters on a tea clipper bound for England and you’d only have learned about my snack maybe a year later as the letters slowly made their way across the island of Britain in carriages to your various hovels and mansions. Now I can just do this:

This is what the internet was FOR, all along

My office today is the 10am London to Aberdeen train, where two sets of train crew are keeping me plied with drinks and food. Have read loads of negatives about these new trains but they're a very comfy place to while away the hours in first class.
    Photos. We need photos!

It's not as exciting as your office

Omnium said:

She is rabidly authoritarian yet pretends she is not. She appears to be, quite literally, an old fashioned hang-em and flog-em type of Home Secretary. Okay to be fair I have never heard her mention flogging but she has in the past being strongly in favour of the death penalty and I think her fundamental view is still in favour even if she cannot admit that publicly. There is no subtlety about her and the only language she seems to understand in terms of her job is that of threat and force.

Mostly I agree with you RT. I really like Patel though. Easily, in my view, the best plausible PM after Boris. I don't often find myself so far out on the wings.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,462

DavidL said:

Covid infections over 3m again in the last week. Anecdotes are useless in this situation but the number of contributors on here that seem to have it right now is highly consistent with this. As I have said my son has it. He was really quite unwell for the first couple of days, coughing, sick, diarrhea, utterly exhausted, but we see an improvement today. Here's hoping that continues.

The reality is Omicron and especially super doper Omicron BA.2, we are all getting exposed and most of us are getting it.
    And all the while the MV bed occupancy falls, and so does the ICU occupancy. This could change, but at the moment cases don't matter. Be honest - if we weren't aware of covid we'd just think that there is a nasty cold going round at the moment.
    That is very true and is exactly what my many friends who have had it say (even those who were – previously – terrified of covid). There remains, however, a weird stigma about covid that does not apply to colds or flu – we'll have beaten this thing only if and when that bizarre stigma is eradicated.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Wikipedia says:

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    Why is Wikipedia God to you? I find it concerning that we used to rely on a variety of different encylopaedias and reference books until fairly recently, and now most people rely on just one. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
    Just a joke really as I didn't want dispute @tlg86 researched point, which I had no evidence was wrong and which was properly looked up and contradicted what I had reported.

I agree with you.
    It also depends on personal views on 'God' - I disagree with kjh's equating Wikipedia and God, for example, because I can see strong evidence that Wikipedia exists :wink:
  • tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Wikipedia says:

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    This is the reference:

Use the 12 Foot Ladder
    dixiedean said:

Perhaps they hope that a slow trickle combined with a visit from the men in grey will result in a resignation before 54 is reached?
    They may hope that.
    I'm hoping for a threesome with the Minogue sisters.
    Ha! Indeed...

In the immortal words of Del Boy "And I am hoping that Millwall will win the Uefa Cup."
    edited February 2022

London mayor Sadiq Khan could shut the Tube for days on end and close bridges and tunnels as a black hole in the city's transport budget soars to £1.5bn.

Ain't gonna happen.
    Selebian said:

kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Wikipedia says:

SKS was DPP in 2009.

I agree with you.
    It also depends on personal views on 'God' - I disagree with kjh's equating Wikipedia and God, for example, because I can see strong evidence that Wikipedia exists :wink:
    My best laugh so far today.
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Mostly I agree with you RT. I really like Patel though. Easily, in my view, the best plausible PM after Boris. I don't often find myself so far out on the wings.
    She is also thick as pig shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrsVhzbLzU
    "Daily Covid stats to be ditched... but not until April: No10 'intends to scrap constant updates' under plan to live with virus like flu"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10468183/Daily-Covid-stats-ditched-not-APRIL.html
  • tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Wikipedia says:

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    This is the reference:

The Guardian:

Cameron told the house that the DPP had ordered a review of the evidence considered by the CPS in 2009 relating to indecent assault allegations against Savile from the 1970s. The evidence was submitted by Surrey police, which began an investigation in 2007.

Fairly conclusive that this was on SKS's watch, not that I hold it against him. Whether or not it should have been escalated to the DPP in the first place, I don't know.
    I note again that I think it extremely likely that this smear/attack line on Starmer was being held back for GE 2024 and Johnson has had to use it early in order to survive another day or week.

No point dragging it up again in 2024.
    Deleted

• NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375
    tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Wikipedia says:

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    This is the reference:

The Guardian:

You are correct , it was when SKS was DPP that 4 cases from Surrey and Sussex police against Jimmy Saville for the rape of learning disabled girls under the age of 16 were dropped by the CPS.
    I have absolutely no idea how the CPS works but I would imagine that for such a high profile case someone senior took the decision.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited February 2022
    Andy_JS said:

"Daily Covid stats to be ditched... but not until April: No10 'intends to scrap constant updates' under plan to live with virus like flu"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10468183/Daily-Covid-stats-ditched-not-APRIL.html

But what will we do at 4pm every afternoon....

In all seriousness, it is very sensible move. I don't think it is really helping anybody now to keep seeing these figures, and then most people won't know a lot of the nuances behind them.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

DavidL said:

The reality is Omicron and especially super doper Omicron BA.2, we are all getting exposed and most of us are getting it.
    And all the while the MV bed occupancy falls, and so does the ICU occupancy. This could change, but at the moment cases don't matter. Be honest - if we weren't aware of covid we'd just think that there is a nasty cold going round at the moment.
    That is very true and is exactly what my many friends who have had it say (even those who were – previously – terrified of covid). There remains, however, a weird stigma about covid that does not apply to colds or flu – we'll have beaten this thing only if and when that bizarre stigma is eradicated.
    And that will be tough while the zero covid crowd exist (and get off on the attention).

There is the issue of long covid. I suspect its over stated, but for sure some have debilitating conditions arising from covid infection. All the evidence suggests that vaccination helps mitigate the risk of long covid too.

Its hard to transition from state sponsored terror campaign about how bad covid is (even Whitty with the advent of omicron) to a more rational place where we have done what we can, and its time to get back to normal. We do need to do this though.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

I LITERALLY know nothing of this “Sean” character, but the amount some of you bang on about him tells me he looms large in your subconscious. I suspect some of you DREAM about him
    You really don’t want to be doing that. He doesn’t reach anywhere near the level of literature.

The mitigation we get from occasional humour is trivial when weighed against the burden of his hypocrisy, dishonesty, flakiness and downright abusiveness that he inflicts on readers of this site.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,069
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

Whilst Black Wednesday was very damaging indeed for the Conservatives' reputation for economic competence, and probably contributed to the scale of the 1997 defeat, it's a bit of a stretch to say it "brought him [Major] down in the end", isn't it?

It happened in September 1992 and he was in office (albeit, as Lamont famously put it, possibly not in power) until April 1997.

There were a range of other issues that probably made 1997 unwinnable even if Black Wednesday hadn't happened. The economic recovery from the recession was pretty anaemic for quite a while (necessitating tax rises, which were badly mishandled). There were huge sleaze problems. There were divisions on wider European issues in particular. Historic underinvestment in health and education was becoming very visible. And there was an exceptionally able young Labour leader setting himself against an extremely tired Tory Party and a leader whose "big idea" seemed to many to be the Cones Hotline.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429

DavidL said:

Cases

Hospitals

• London mayor Sadiq Khan could shut the Tube for days on end and close bridges and tunnels as a black hole in the city's transport budget soars to £1.5bn.

Ain't gonna happen.
    Shutting operations down? If they run out of money - and that looks very likely - then presumably you expect the government to bail them out?

That should happen, but mad things do happen when there is a row between national governments and powerful cities. I was in Washington in summer 97 and schools had a delayed opening as there wasn't enough money to do so.
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stuff like this makes me appreciate the miracle of the internet. 200 years ago if I wanted to tell you all about the snack I was having I would have had to write you all individual letters with a goose quill, describing my snack with words, then put the sealed letters on a tea clipper bound for England and you’d only have learned about my snack maybe a year later as the letters slowly made their way across the island of Britain in carriages to your various hovels and mansions. Now I can just do this:

My office today is the 10am London to Aberdeen train, where two sets of train crew are keeping me plied with drinks and food. Have read loads of negatives about these new trains but they're a very comfy place to while away the hours in first class.
    Photos. We need photos!

I find stuff like this fascinating. How people actually live and work. It’s like those Zoom screen shots of politicians’ homes. I scour them for clues as to the personality. What books do they read? The details are endlessly intriguing. I am sure this is an evolutionary drive - it’s the same drive that makes gossip so addictive

That looks rather nice as mobile offices go. What’s that you’re eating? Some kind of curry? Any good?

Also: zero Coke AND tea/coffee. You needed a buzz
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

She is, personally, very pleasant, and I know people who like her very much. She was also very helpful to me over a matter which wasn't really a constituency issue.
    As I posted the other day she hasn't been seen around the constituency for quite a while.
    I don't like her views at all though, and, discussing some local restoration activity, when someone suggested her to open it, several members of the committee expressed very strong opposition.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Excellent. Hopefully the screenwriter is up to the task

Coogan is a brilliant choice. Quite an obnoxious man, in some respects (apparently The Trip is basically factual) but he is a genius at inhabiting other personae. I imagine he will do a superbly creepy Savile
    Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle is brilliant and very apposite considering Brexit and now levellinp up.
    Coogan was brilliant in "Stan and Ollie" too.

Alan Partridge is a creation of genius, but I do understand why Coogan loathes his creation.
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

You’re not alone. I like her and admire her. I also - God help me - slightly fancy her

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

I met Sir C once, at a Rochdale Liberal meeting. I can imagine that to a small boy he could have been a terrifying monster; he certainly wasn't good looking man. Very big and very fat. Of course, that was to hormonal (I think) problems.
    Some of his other lifestyle choices could be blamed on his hormones too.

DavidL said:

And that will be tough while the zero covid crowd exist (and get off on the attention).

There is the issue of long covid. I suspect its over stated, but for sure some have debilitating conditions arising from covid infection. All the evidence suggests that vaccination helps mitigate the risk of long covid too.

Its hard to transition from state sponsored terror campaign about how bad covid is (even Whitty with the advent of omicron) to a more rational place where we have done what we can, and its time to get back to normal. We do need to do this though.
    Yes, 'long covid' is, as far as the evidence seems to suggest, shorthand for a host of post-viral syndromes – which exist for other types of virus. But again, there's a stigma to long covid too which doesn't exist for those who suffer such post-viral syndromes from, say, flu.

The psychology of this is a problem, for sure.
  • (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    18m
    It’s clear there’s a much more significant degree of organisation amongst the parliamentary party against Boris.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1488895139531661315
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited February 2022
    tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Wikipedia says:

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    This is the reference:

The Guardian:

I can't even tell if Johnson is alleging negligence or actual cover up. The thing about convicting people of stuff, even if it's bleeding obvious they done it, is bleeding difficult. Hence the DPP's job is deciding to prosecute people, but also deciding not to. Johnson is hoping that enough people do not understand this.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

You really don’t want to be doing that. He doesn’t reach anywhere near the level of literature.

The mitigation we get from occasional humour is trivial when weighed against the burden of his hypocrisy, dishonesty, flakiness and downright abusiveness that he inflicts on readers of this site.
    Oh well, you’d best ignore him then, and forget about him. The advantage of this site is that you can do that. Just skim over comments and go to the next. Helps with the blood pressure

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

She is also thick as pig shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrsVhzbLzU
    Not so damning, and certainly not as you say. It doesn't matter though as she's not likely to feature.

I stick to my very positive view of her.

• Leon said:

Leon said:

Photos. We need photos!

It is to me

Lots of memories of first class trips to London and of course a lifetime love of all things trains
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

You’re not alone. I like her and admire her. I also - God help me - slightly fancy her
    First time I met her Tony Newton, our ex-MP, was walking through a local fete and I thought 'what's he doing with that attractive Asian girl?'
    Quite a few years ago now, of course.

Andy_JS said:

In all seriousness, it is very sensible move. I don't think it is really helping anybody now to keep seeing these figures, and then most people won't know a lot of the nuances behind them.
    They should probably just do ICU and 'for Covid' hospitalisations now, and not bother with the rest.

Positive tests tell few stories now the link between them and morbidity has massively weakened, and the benchmark has changed anyway. So arguably not a great deal of point continuing with them much longer.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

They are a pretty dull lot now, but the Liberal MPs of the 60s/70s were quite a crowd. Cyril, of course. But then there was Clement Freud, now an unmentionable. Colourful characters like John Pardoe and David Penhaligon. Peter Bessell. And, of course, Mr Thorpe himself, complete with brown bowler hat. Not bad going for such a small parliamentary party.

On the other hand, they did have David Steel and Alan Beith who could bore for Britain.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,219
    eek said:

MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alastair Meeks
    @AlastairMeeks
    Doesn't look as if Jim has fixed it for Boris Johnson.

https://twitter.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1488861824384651267

I think Boris is safe until May's elections. Perhaps he will find an excuse to cancel them
    Two by-elections before May, too.
    But they are Southend West - Labour / Lib Dems not standing so Tory win on a tiny vote
    Birmingham Erdington - safe Labour even before Bozo blew any chance of the Tories winning up.
    True, and Johnson apologists will dismiss them whatever happens. But the Birmingham vote was 50:40 Lab:Con last time. It’s not that safe. The Tories would win it on less than the swing they got in Hartlepool. If they do very badly, I think that will be meaningful, even if Johnson’s fanbase deny it.

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

First time I met her Tony Newton, our ex-MP, was walking through a local fete and I thought 'what's he doing with that attractive Asian girl?'
    She is genuinely attractive. Phenomenal cheekbones

Quite broad in the beam, but one can, er, overlook that

Ain't gonna happen.
    Shutting operations down? If they run out of money - and that looks very likely - then presumably you expect the government to bail them out?

That should happen, but mad things do happen when there is a row between national governments and powerful cities. I was in Washington in summer 97 and schools had a delayed opening as there wasn't enough money to do so.
    Yeah, the government will have to bail them out. In any case, the closure of the tube for several days simply won't happen. Do you really think it will?
    edited February 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Wikipedia says:

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    This is the reference:

The Guardian:

I can't even tell if Johnson is alleging negligence or actual cover up. The thing about convicting people of stuff, even if it's bleeding obvious they done it, is bleeding difficult. Hence the DPP's job is deciding to prosecute people, but also deciding not to. Johnson is hoping that enough people do not understand this.
    At what point do the Breach of Lockdown notices reach a level where prosecution is appropriate?
    tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

The Times
    @thetimes

Actually I believe it.

Wikipedia says:

SKS was DPP in 2009.
    This is the reference:

The Guardian:

As I said earlier, I can't answer that. You have provided abundant evidence that what I reported Nazir saying was not correct and I don't think I got what he said wrong, but may have. As I said I couldn't recall it all, but that was a fairly basic bit of info. I would be interested in the context of what Nazir was saying because I see no reason for him misleading or lying so he may be referring to something earlier. Also @TheScreamingEagles thought the same from his memory (not Nazir this morning). It would be interesting to know what TSE remembers.

Andy_JS said:

They should probably just do ICU and 'for Covid' hospitalisations now, and not bother with the rest.

Positive tests tell few stories now the link between them and morbidity has massively weakened, and the benchmark has changed anyway. So arguably not a great deal of point continuing with them much longer.
    Where is @MoonRabbit? We will be seeing a camping to save The Monoliths.....
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    18m
    It’s clear there’s a much more significant degree of organisation amongst the parliamentary party against Boris.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1488895139531661315

Anothe PB lurker pinching PB lines?

DavidL said:

It's still pretty bloody horrible, even though boosted and no real risk factors beyond being a middle aged bloke. I have had it for a week, and quite shattered at times, bored at others. Usually a cold or "flu" is bad for just a day or two. Only a faint second line on the LFT today, so might even be OK to work on Friday.
    I think every PB-er should post a photo of exactly where they are now, and what is happening in front of them

Any identifying evidence can and should be removed, of course, but all else must stay

Larks!
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    Wonder if Cameron might use the opportunity to stick the knife into Boris and defend Starmer over Savile? Wouldn't even have to mention Bojo, just do a statement saying SKS wasn't at fault.
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

It's still pretty bloody horrible, even though boosted and no real risk factors beyond being a middle aged bloke. I have had it for a week, and quite shattered at times, bored at others. Usually a cold or "flu" is bad for just a day or two. Only a faint second line on the LFT today, so might even be OK to work on Friday.
    Best of luck. Cough etc all gone?
    Leon said:

I think every PB-er should post a photo of exactly where they are now, and what is happening in front of them

Any identifying evidence can and should be removed, of course, but all else must stay

Larks!

2 large computer screens are hardly going to be exciting for anyone to read.

Unless they wish to see very poor quality C# code and even worse documentation.

DavidL said:

Yes, 'long covid' is, as far as the evidence seems to suggest, shorthand for a host of post-viral syndromes – which exist for other types of virus. But again, there's a stigma to long covid too which doesn't exist for those who suffer such post-viral syndromes from, say, flu.

The psychology of this is a problem, for sure.
    Quite a high rate of new diabetes, cardiac and cerebrovascular disease in covid inpatients post discharge. How much of this we see in less severe disease is not yet clear.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Photos. We need photos!

It is to me

Lots of memories of first class trips to London and of course a lifetime love of all things trains
    At least you had enough common sense to book a coast view seat.
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

She is genuinely attractive. Phenomenal cheekbones

Quite broad in the beam, but one can, er, overlook that
    Smart and wise though..

Whatever it is she doesn't deserve the unpopularity.
    Leon said:

Larks!

"My monitor is bigger than yours" - etc
    eek said:

Leon said:

Larks!

2 large computer screens are hardly going to be exciting for anyone to read.

Unless they wish to see very poor quality C# code and even worse documentation.
    I use a variety of backgrounds on Zoom. Often from travels.

Leon said:

Larks!

2x 24 inch QHD - I can''t actually put anything bigger on the desk after I replaced it with a sit stand model.
  • With Boris's Jimmy Savile comments, I wonder if he and Lynton have plans to foment a British QAnon movement - implanting the idea of a sinister and shadowy establishment cabal that includes liberal lawyers in league with paedophiles. It makes sense.
  • Leon said:

Larks!

Monitor singular.....deary me.....dual 38" ultra-wides stacked horizontally and dual 27" (one either side) in portrait, if you are asking....

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Yes, just feeling drained and fatigued now, with a bit of brain fog. Some headache and sneeze still.
    eek said:

Leon said:

Larks!

2x 24 inch QHD - I can''t actually put anything bigger on the desk after I replaced it with a sit stand model.
    Slacker.

Real Programmers (the heirs of Mel*) need at least a 34" - in 4K.

*https://www.cs.utah.edu/~elb/folklore/mel.html
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

With Boris's Jimmy Savile comments, I wonder if he and Lynton have plans to foment a British QAnon movement - implanting the idea of a sinister and shadowy establishment cabal that includes liberal lawyers in league with paedophiles. It makes sense.

Did they get the idea from Tom Watson?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,219

Andy_JS said:

Data is useful - we use these data in research I’m involved in - and data should be open and available. If some people are too obsessed with checking these figures, that’s not the fault of the data! If you want people to stop worrying about COVID-19, convince them that they don’t need to worry.

PS: Making nonsense claims - e.g. it’s just like a bad cold - is not going to be very persuasive.
  • Heathener said:

That is probably a fair analysis. It would be karma if it were Brexit that brought down The Clown, but I really don't want to wait that long, so Partygate is good enough.
    Nah. Brexit, mistake though it is, is high policy and proper politics.

A silly tawdry man being brought down by something silly and tawdry is much more just.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Yes, just feeling drained and fatigued now, with a bit of brain fog. Some headache and sneeze still.
    Unnecessary advice, I'm sure, but I think the brain fog was the most worrying. Came in fits and starts for a bit. Even for an OAP it could be alarming.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Photos. We need photos!

I find stuff like this fascinating. How people actually live and work. It’s like those Zoom screen shots of politicians’ homes. I scour them for clues as to the personality. What books do they read? The details are endlessly intriguing. I am sure this is an evolutionary drive - it’s the same drive that makes gossip so addictive

That looks rather nice as mobile offices go. What’s that you’re eating? Some kind of curry? Any good?

Also: zero Coke AND tea/coffee. You needed a buzz
    I'm only on the train as its the last week of easyJet running a reduced timetable from Aberdeen. Flew down late Sunday, spent all day Monday with the Romanian client and his team looking at his new project. With what is coming out the other end of that and what it means for me I described as one of my best working days in years.

Tuesday spent in the City and Holborn looking at office space for the client's main project. Found one that is perfect, in budget and available for March as we need. Would have flown home last night but no easyJet til Thursday and an extra night in the hotel plus 1st class on the train is still cheaper than BA.

So today spent reviewing stuff from the last two days and having a relaxed trip north. Plenty of caffeine having had a very interrupted night's sleep (something woke me at 3am and brain decided to start processing work stuff). Yes, vegetable dupiaza in the picture, plus a chicken sandwich earlier and several rounds of crisps and biscuits.
This discussion has been closed.