Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The markets edge back to Johnson but 2022 exit still odds on – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

Andy_JS said:

JBriskin3 said:

Andy_JS said:
    Nice! Alphabetisation by first name is a little gouche though.
    I wouldn't have done that if it was my spreadsheet.
    It's pretty cool spreadsheet - Thanks for sourcing.
    Why can't I resort it by col D?
    I take it it's locked or whatever the correct term is.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,508

The way I always saw Jezza issues with Jews / Israel is that a) he is very dense and b) he has this very simple world view, opposers vs opposed. Opposers are the rich, the powerful and the opposed bad behaviour can be excused away because of not as bad as the opposers long history. From this a) Israel bad / Hamas can be excused and b) falls for the rich powerful Jews trope and does see it as wider anti-Jewish / antisemitism.

Yep I think that is it. Just as black people can't be racist. In Corbyn's hierarchy of discrimination the Jews, because they control the media, banks, and governments, while convening their secret global government in a volcano somewhere, cannot be discriminated against as they are at the apex of the power structure that he believes exists.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    "Five Insulate Britain activists jailed over M25 protests
    Climate campaigners convicted of breaching injunction by taking part in actions that brought motorway to a standstill'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/02/five-insulate-britain-activists-jailed-m25-protests/
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    edited February 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

How is it that the SNP get to arse about with regards to Scotland? My Scotland is much the same as theirs.

I'm not sure of your point - but one of the key factors of SNP types "arsing Scotland" is the media not holding them to account.
    The dominantly Unionist-owned media such as the Scotsman?
    Err, the Scotsman's influence pales into insignificance compared to SBBC and STV.
    BBC Scotland is just a local branch of the BBC, on a PB point of order.

So the BBC and STV put out pro-SNP propaganda? Remarkable if true.
    I would say the BBC and STV have a pro-SNP Type bias, yes.
    Seriously? Really?

You do know who Ruth Davidson and Sarah Smith used to work for? BBC Scotland. Now I'm sure they were terribly neutral on air, they are not stupid.

But I do remember the election when the SNP got a shock victory - 2010 it must have been - and the news presenter in the studio on election night started crying and turned to the very senior Slab politician and said "Whatever will we do now??" live on air. Edit: can't recall now if BBC or STV.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Thuggish and incompetent politicians with a polished veneer that enables them to get away with it annoy me.

Boris
    JRM

Egotistical halo polishers that cannot see the negative consequences of their actions and treat people badly in the process of doing their great work are not far behind.

Some on the hard left really qualify here.

Not Corbyn who whilst rarely saw the whole picture himself and was blinded by his halo ego, personally appeared to treat people well. His problem was that he was naive, closed minded and needed be tougher on those closest to him that let him down. Annoying, but in a different way.

Yes, as a Corbyn fan I think that's fair. He had also drunk the "polite argument will always win" Kool-Aid to an extent which was suicidal in a leading politician, which as you say prevented him from cracking down on loony supporters, and also gave free rein to irreconcilable opponents. His more ruthless supporters would cheerfully have long since deselected many of the MPs who by 2019 were openly hostile to Labour because he was leading the party, but he was just as stubborn in his refusal to encourage deselections as he was in his political views. It was an odd combination of personal rigidity and tolerance of others.
    Absolutely. Oh and plus as well as the "polite argument will always win" misconception he was a vile anti-semite.

But yes nice guy all round.
    Corbyn was anti-Israel rather than anti-Jewish. The definition of antisemitism changed to include the former as well as the latter. Some of the old trots in, say, Liverpool, were classically (and casually) antisemitic.
    He was absolutely anti-Israel (itself a Jewish state) but allowed himself to become both for example the mural which showed to me that for all his some of my best friends are Jews schtick, he would enthusiastically endorse "classical" anti-semitic tropes. Plus the present but not involved thing.
    It was a telling incident, because there were people who maintained the mural was not 'obviously' anti-semitic (and probably still will), but Corbyn himself publicy disagreed, since he apologised for not examining it closely enough and that he agreed it was anti-semitic.

So either he lied about accepting it was anti-semitic and regretting his comment, or he was telling the truth and he for some reason failed to spot what he later called obvious anti-semitism. Which I can believe, but rather dents his fans' claims about what a great anti-racist he was, if he couldn't spot it (notably he did not claim he did not look at the image before commenting, he said he did not look 'more closely' at it at the time).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43523445
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited February 2022
    TOPPING said:

The way I always saw Jezza issues with Jews / Israel is that a) he is very dense and b) he has this very simple world view, opposers vs opposed. Opposers are the rich, the powerful and the opposed bad behaviour can be excused away because of not as bad as the opposers long history. From this a) Israel bad / Hamas can be excused and b) falls for the rich powerful Jews trope and does see it as wider anti-Jewish / antisemitism.

Yep I think that is it. Just as black people can't be racist. In Corbyn's hierarchy of discrimination the Jews, because they control the media, banks, and governments, while convening their secret global government in a volcano somewhere, cannot be discriminated against as they are at the apex of the power structure that he believes exists.
    It is also why he is happy to be friends with Jews who align with his wider political beliefs. It isn't out and out racist / antisemitism against all Jews in the way say the Neo Nazi lot in the US, although they also play into the same underlying trope of Jews run the world.
  • ajbajb Posts: 141
    edited February 2022
    kle4 said:

ajb said:

Andy_JS said:
    Nice.

Does anyone remember, last time when the threshold was reached, how many had gone public?
    No, but if wiki is to be believed either the trickle became a flood, or most had kept schtum. Keep any eye out for a paragon of leadership.

By 11 December, the public count was still at twenty-six letters from MPs. That day, however, Owen Paterson publicly sent his letter and it later became clear that forty-eight letters had been submitted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Conservative_Party_leadership_election#12_December_confidence_vote

Even so, that was a lot more publicly known for May - because it was about something more cared about, policy.
    So more than 50% of those submitting were public, but as of now we have just less than 25% of the 54 needed. Aways away yet then.
  • Leon said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

It's truly ridiculous how the critics of Patel vanish when tested. I really like the idea of an annoyoing, short, Indian, and whirlwind like young lady being in power.

There's really not much vanishing going on. You can make a point about ME not being articulate in why I hate her and dismiss it as irrational, but other people are putting pretty solid reasons on the table.
    How about, you’re a racist but you cannot possibly accept that, hence your confusion?

She’s a small, smirking, not-posh Asian woman with right wing beliefs. She fails you, racially. She should be Left
    If you imagine all Asian people should be left wing, you've obviously not met many!
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    edited February 2022
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Never been first class on a train. Something to look forward to!

Doesn't cost hugely extra if you book in advance, and if you are on the ECML services from Kings X the main intercity services give or at least gave you tea, coffee, meals etc. ad lib - but DYOR as this (a) depends on the covid situation and (b) depends how long/where/when you are travelling. Mrs C used to make a regular work journey to NE England - went early for breakfast on the train before hopping off for the local at Newcastle.
    The Standard Premium service on Avanti is good. Its £15-£30 extra to sit in a first class carriage, but you don't get any free food/drinks. My main complaint about travelling by train is the overcrowded carriages with uncomfortable seats and this makes travelling by train a lot more enjoyable. The problem though is first class/standard premium is not environmentally friendly. The supposed carbon savings of travelling by train compared with car or plane all assume the train is full and standard class seating is much more efficient in this respect. But travelling on a full train in Standard class is pretty miserable.
  • Re: spreadsheet of Conservative MPs viz-a-viz Big Dog letters, very interesting AND maybe even useful!

Have already crunched it to get around the sort-by-first-name issue.

What would make the spread more valuable, would be IF it also indicated which Tories are ministers, whips, PPSs or otherwise part of the payroll vote; plus deputy speakers.
  • South West MPs starting to crumble and submit letters.

The threat of LibDems coming back in one of their old heartlands on the back of ParyGate anger?
    edited February 2022
    The leader of the Conservative Party has just been ousted after losing a vote amongst his MPs.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-erin-otoole-loses-conservative-party-leadership-vote/
  • Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

How is it that the SNP get to arse about with regards to Scotland? My Scotland is much the same as theirs.

I'm not sure of your point - but one of the key factors of SNP types "arsing Scotland" is the media not holding them to account.
    Err, the Scotsman's influence pales into insignificance compared to SBBC and STV.

That they don’t routinely refer to the SNP as the Scottish Nationalist Party of Arthur Donaldson and Sturgeon as Nippy is conclusive proof of their bias.
    edited February 2022

South West MPs starting to crumble and submit letters.

The threat of LibDems coming back in one of their old heartlands on the back of ParyGate anger?

Too far from London to control, perhaps. Some of the Red Wallers are riotus too.

Or perhaps the opposite - they are so safe in their seats they cannot be bullied.
    edited February 2022
    kle4 said:

Too far from London to control, perhaps. Some of the Red Wallers are riotus too.
    May well be something in your distance theory. The Scots started it, so to speak. None in NI to count either way.
  • Sweden lifting all Covid restrictions 9 February.
    Denmark lifted them last week.

England also lifted them on Monday.
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

You do know who Ruth Davidson and Sarah Smith used to work for? BBC Scotland. Now I'm sure they were terribly neutral on air, they are not stupid.

But I do remember the election when the SNP got a shock victory - 2010 it must have been - and the news presenter in the studio on election night started crying and turned to the very senior Slab politician and said "Whatever will we do now??" live on air. Edit: can't recall now if BBC or STV.
    I seriously believe the BBC and STV have a pro-SNP Type bias nowadays - I don't think it was that way in 2010.

I wonder what the "independent" Electoral Commission thought of Sturgeon being on TV for every day in the run up to Holyrood 2021.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I wonder why this has leaked today. Priti on manoeuvres?

The BBC reporting that last year No.10 overruled the Home Secretary to keep the Met Commissioner in her job. One for historians of Johnson's fall to ponder.

https://twitter.com/arthistorynews/status/1488870878943354881

Why is she so hated? I think she's really very good. Obviously has faults too.
    Not sure hate but certainly dislike intensely and, to some extent, fear.

She is rabidly authoritarian yet pretends she is not. She appears to be, quite literally, an old fashioned hang-em and flog-em type of Home Secretary. Okay to be fair I have never heard her mention flogging but she has in the past being strongly in favour of the death penalty and I think her fundamental view is still in favour even if she cannot admit that publicly. There is no subtlety about her and the only language she seems to understand in terms of her job is that of threat and force.

I will be very glad when she is away from the Home Office.

Mostly I agree with you RT. I really like Patel though. Easily, in my view, the best plausible PM after Boris. I don't often find myself so far out on the wings.

You’re not alone. I like her and admire her. I also - God help me - slightly fancy her
    First time I met her Tony Newton, our ex-MP, was walking through a local fete and I thought 'what's he doing with that attractive Asian girl?'
    Quite a few years ago now, of course.
    She is genuinely attractive. Phenomenal cheekbones

Quite broad in the beam, but one can, er, overlook that
    Smart and wise though..

Whatever it is she doesn't deserve the unpopularity.
    Well, she annoys lefties because she's very authoritarian.
    And she annoys righties because she's done a very poor job with migrant border crossings.

While in her previous role, she travelled to Israel, had a bunch of work meetings. Then lied about it to the Prime Minister. Was forgiven. More revelations came out. She then lied again. And after being lied to a second time, the Prime Minister was less forgiving.

She has a great personal backstory, is attractive and articulate. She's clearly not stupid.

But I'm not convinced she would be a great PM.
    Priti also annoys those who value height, received pronunciation and Oxbridge.
    Didn't she go to Cambridge?
    And a marvellously sunny day it was, too.
  • Re: letters, as was just noted, last time it was drip . . . drip . . . drip . . . FLOOOOOOOOOOD!

Like how the English Channel (and Channelled Scablands of eastern WA State) were created:

Megaflood: How Britain Became an Island
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW5HJWSpLWE

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

It's truly ridiculous how the critics of Patel vanish when tested. I really like the idea of an annoyoing, short, Indian, and whirlwind like young lady being in power.

There's really not much vanishing going on. You can make a point about ME not being articulate in why I hate her and dismiss it as irrational, but other people are putting pretty solid reasons on the table.
    How about, you’re a racist but you cannot possibly accept that, hence your confusion?

She’s a small, smirking, not-posh Asian woman with right wing beliefs. She fails you, racially. She should be Left
    If you imagine all Asian people should be left wing, you've obviously not met many!
    That makes me think of that Corbyn tweet about how only Labour could be 'trusted' to unlock the talent of BAME people. Lot of Tory politicians got some humour out of that.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

Unlikely to be a factor with Mangnall and Streeter. Mangnall especially has shown he is is his own man. Streeter may not run again anyway.
    Andy_JS said:

Sweden lifting all Covid restrictions 9 February.

It'll be interesting to see if Norway, Iceland and Finland do the same.
    Do you think we will do the same or have the government just forgotten about them? I had Covid last week and no one cares. The supermarket delivery guy just laughed at me when I told him over the intercom when he came to do the home delivery. Not a single person is wearing a mask at school drop off/pick up. And still if you report a positive test track and trace force you to do a 30 minute long interview of your last 3 days of movements and threaten you with fines if you do not adhere to self isolation, after you voluntarily test yourself and report the results. The whole thing is ridiculous.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

I seriously believe the BBC and STV have a pro-SNP Type bias nowadays - I don't think it was that way in 2010.

I wonder what the "independent" Electoral Commission thought of Sturgeon being on TV for every day in the run up to Holyrood 2021.
    Mr Johnson and his minions too, for the same reason. So you can't complain.

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

That they don’t routinely refer to the SNP as the Scottish Nationalist Party of Arthur Donaldson and Sturgeon as Nippy is conclusive proof of their bias.
    What is this 'Nippy' name about anyway, I've never gotten it.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,553
    edited February 2022
    Hurrah.

Ashley Giles is standing down as Managing Director, England Men’s Cricket.

Ashley is leaving after three years in the role during which England Men became 50-over World Champions and are currently ranked the world’s best T20I side, 2nd in ODIs and 4th for Tests.

Sir Andrew Strauss has agreed to step into the role on an interim basis and will put in place arrangements for the forthcoming West Indies Tour, while the search begins for a full-time replacement.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/2470229/ashley-giles-managing-director-england-mens-cricket-to-leave-ecb

Now is the time for Silverwood to go.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    edited February 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Andy_JS said:

JBriskin3 said:

Andy_JS said:
    Even considering a desire to keep things close to one's chest, it is remarkably few who are open about having put one in.
    I think the key fact from the spreadsheet at this point is-

Confirmed + Suspected 74.3% (of 54 letters)
    I think also the the very large number 'unclear' is significant.

I could easily imagine my own MP, Lurence Robertson, submitting a letter for very much the same reason that Aaron Bell did. Robertson is no maverick though and this is a Tory and Leave area so if he did, he would probably want to keep quiet about it.

Re: letters, as was just noted, last time it was drip . . . drip . . . drip . . . FLOOOOOOOOOOD!

Like how the English Channel (and Channelled Scablands of eastern WA State) were created:

Megaflood: How Britain Became an Island
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW5HJWSpLWE

Or indeed how the Med refilled ... and the Black Sea ...
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Leon uses epithets like "Japs" and then thinks he can sniff out racism from 6000 miles away. Bizarre character.
    Is Brits racist?

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Nippy should be being no-platformed not shown every day on TV for a whole year before a Holyrood election.
    Disappointed my MP is on the list as a firm No. Kiss ass.
  • OT you can't give Paypal shares away. 25% down in a day. Not sure why but crikey.
  • Hurrah.

Ashley Giles is standing down as Managing Director, England Men’s Cricket.

Ashley is leaving after three years in the role during which England Men became 50-over World Champions and are currently ranked the world’s best T20I side, 2nd in ODIs and 4th for Tests.

Sir Andrew Strauss has agreed to step into the role on an interim basis and will put in place arrangements for the forthcoming West Indies Tour, while the search begins for a full-time replacement.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/2470229/ashley-giles-managing-director-england-mens-cricket-to-leave-ecb

Now is the time for Silverwood to go.

Worse job than whoever takes over from Boris....
    darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you think we will do the same or have the government just forgotten about them? I had Covid last week and no one cares. The supermarket delivery guy just laughed at me when I told him over the intercom when he came to do the home delivery. Not a single person is wearing a mask at school drop off/pick up. And still if you report a positive test track and trace force you to do a 30 minute long interview of your last 3 days of movements and threaten you with fines if you do not adhere to self isolation, after you voluntarily test yourself and report the results. The whole thing is ridiculous.
    It is a public service to report a self-administered LTF in order to give the govt good stats to work with. On a personal level it is absolutely bonkers.
    edited February 2022
    The spreadsheet isn't 100% because it has a field for "sources" but then fails to give one for a number of MPs such as Caroline Nokes and James Morris.
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Unionist misogyny.

Nippy (Scots) = sharp, tart. Often in the format 'nippy sweetie' = dram, or, in this context, a sour sweet of some kind.

Used of a woman who is assertive and does not defer to masculine self-importance. Ditto Unionist self-importance. It is highly misogynistic.

Yeah apart from the self-isolation and allowing the MoL to keep them on his transport systems.
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Apparently the full version is Nippy Sweetie - but I use it because whenever her mugs on TV she Nips your "heid".
    JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Apparently the full version is Nippy Sweetie - but I use it because whenever her mugs on TV she Nips your "heid".
    I hate to think what you call Germaine Greer.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

In moonshine manor we had a bit of minor marital strife this week because we are both positive right now. Dustbin lid is fine because he was probably patient zero over a week ago. I wanted to take him to school but Mrs Moonshine said we would become social pariahs for breaking the rules. Fuck the rules I said, they clearly weren’t ever meant to be followed anyway. Of course she prevailed.

Amusingly the school has emailed saying that our kid is “expected” to still come to school even if his parents are both positive. Just wear a mask and drop him at the door, it counts as an exceptional circumstance that allows me out the house.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited February 2022

Huh? I thought they weren’t being lifted til 24 March?
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

Johnson and Co stopped daily Covid briefings. Nippy, in a Scottish election year; didn't.
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Leon uses epithets like "Japs" and then thinks he can sniff out racism from 6000 miles away. Bizarre character.
    Is Brits racist?
    I cannot say I've ever heard of Japs used as a racist epithet. It could be, same way paki definitely is (since it is used when people have no way of knowing if the target has anything to do with Pakistan for a start), but reference to the Japanese at all would probably be less common so I may have missed it.
    JBriskin3 said:

Andy_JS said:
    Just further evidence that @Tissue_Price is on a complete roll. Even cockups like that going his way
    edited February 2022
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Is Brits racist?
    I cannot say I've ever heard of Japs used as a racist epithet. It could be, same way paki definitely is (since it is used when people have no way of knowing if the target has anything to do with Pakistan for a start), but reference to the Japanese at all would probably be less common so I may have missed it.
    Japs also stands for Jewish American Princesses, which I guess is on topic.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

Johnson and Co stopped daily Covid briefings. Nippy, in a Scottish election year; didn't.
    So doing a public service is a bad thing? It's not as if Mr Johnson stopped being photographed in hi-vis vests.
  • kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Contraction of nippy sweetie, a term usually applied to a sharp, rebarbative woman.
    It’s the go to term for Sturgeon for sections of the Unionist community.
    edited February 2022
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Polruan said:

Farooq said:

Train porn. Since the Highlands is already taken, a shout out to these two sections:
    Between Ludlow and Church Stretton, and
    the Devon? Cornwall? section on the coast? Dawlish Warren perhaps.

Abroad: Swiss/Austrian border. At dawn.

Yes, Dawlish - between Exeter and Newton Abbot, and almost exactly halfway between London and Penzance (in terms of time rather than distance). I'd add the Tamar crossing into Cornwall and the next couple of miles around the estuaries; and the last stretch past the Hayle estuary before crossing from north coast to south and coasting along Marazion marsh and round Mounts Bay into Penzance. Even after doing the journey weekly for a couple of years I still stop and watch those views each time.

The St Ives branch line is pretty stunning too.

And nice and slow

Everyone wants high-speed rail but there is a loss which comes with it, or so I have noted. Above a certain speed the countryside blurs - as you pass it too quickly - so you get no sense of the journey. It is just a whizzing mess of green or grey

I did Paris to Nantes a few years ago, all along the Loire, and I am sure in olden days it would have been stunning, but on the TGV I might as well have been on a plane. There is no point in looking out of the window as everything just whooshes past

Is there a single High-Speed Train on the great railway journeys list?I doubt it. Just as there isn’t a list of “great airline routes”
    I have had some great airline routes with window seats.

From Schipol to Cape Town in daytime on a cloudless day was glorious. The coasts, the mountains, the deserts, the forests, the mouth of the Congo. Who needs an in-flight movie?

Flying into Phoenix from the UK too. The snow, lakes, forests and mountains of Canada well worth a look.

A fair point. A great airline route is actually better than high speed rail. I was wrong

flying across the Alps in clear weather is always fun. I also remember a flight across the Greenland Ice Cap from Iceland to ilullisat. OMG!

And seaplanes, I do love a seaplane. Sydney to Pittwater. Colombo to the Sri Lankan highlands. Anywhere in the Maldives to anywhere else. Seaplanes are brilliant
    I flew from St Thomas to Puerto Rico in the late Seventies with this eccentric airline:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilles_Air_Boats

The pilot was the only crew, and the co-pilot seat had the instruments removed to turn it into another passenger seat. Alas, my brother got that one. After taxiing down the ramp into the water the pilot had to handcraft up the wheels before taking off from the harbour.

The whole airline was a bit heath Robinson, and unfortunately the founder died in one of the planes shortly after, but a great experience while it lasted.
    - Casablanca to Marrakesh by Air Maroc. Normally when you fly across mountains, you look down on the peaks way below. On that flight, you could look up at the peaks of the Atlas Mountains going past the window.

- London to Venice Marco Polo by Al Italia. Just for the moment looking out of the window when I remarked to the other half that I was sure the airport we could see, way below, was where we were supposed to be heading; a minute or two later the pilot belatedly arrived at the same conclusion, and thence began the steepest dive I have ever experienced on a regular commercial flight.

- My own solo flight from San Diego to Los Angeles Van Nuys, making the low level VFR transit across LAX followed by a curving descent into a very busy GA airport whilst the hills to the north of LA were on fire.

- being flown around his outback ‘farm’ in South Australia by a sheep farmer, looking for his sheep; his farm being larger than a fair few English counties.
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

I like Germaine Greer. I call her, err, Germaine Greer - What's your point?
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Excellent: just checking.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

OT you can't give Paypal shares away. 25% down in a day. Not sure why but crikey.

Markets are a bit weird at the moment, particularly the Nasdaq. My US portfolio is 10% down this month, but bounced back quite a bit this week.

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

So doing a public service is a bad thing? It's not as if Mr Johnson stopped being photographed in hi-vis vests.
    So Nippy had her mug on TV for a full year before a Scottish election and it was a Public Service?

How kind of her.
    I've been backing Priti Patel as a next con leader for years. At 50/1 the odds are very good. In a funny sort of way, Patel could be the 'continuity Boris' candidate. She could appeal to the red wall, and has decent Brexit credentials, in a way that someone like Truss does not. The way in which she gets flippantly dismissed on here is evidence of prejudice rather good analysis. It is the brexit/trump fallacy - people think it will never happen because it is so absurd, but then it does.

On the other hand, I think the odds are so long because she is historically unpopular amongst conservative MPs, and there is little sign that this has changed. Also, her ratings with the public are shockingly bad. So for the moment at least it looks like we will be saved from the fate of PM Patel, which I have to say I am personally relieved about, because my personal view of her is similar to that expressed by @Richard_Tyndall earlier.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

So Nippy had her mug on TV for a full year before a Scottish election and it was a Public Service?

How kind of her.
    Oh, my! You didn't have to watch it every day, just to check, but it is very kind of you for doing so. I just checked the Graun feed later on. ,
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Polruan said:

Farooq said:

Train porn. Since the Highlands is already taken, a shout out to these two sections:

Yes, Dawlish - between Exeter and Newton Abbot, and almost exactly halfway between London and Penzance (in terms of time rather than distance). I'd add the Tamar crossing into Cornwall and the next couple of miles around the estuaries; and the last stretch past the Hayle estuary before crossing from north coast to south and coasting along Marazion marsh and round Mounts Bay into Penzance. Even after doing the journey weekly for a couple of years I still stop and watch those views each time.

And nice and slow

Everyone wants high-speed rail but there is a loss which comes with it, or so I have noted. Above a certain speed the countryside blurs - as you pass it too quickly - so you get no sense of the journey. It is just a whizzing mess of green or grey

I did Paris to Nantes a few years ago, all along the Loire, and I am sure in olden days it would have been stunning, but on the TGV I might as well have been on a plane. There is no point in looking out of the window as everything just whooshes past

Is there a single High-Speed Train on the great railway journeys list?I doubt it. Just as there isn’t a list of “great airline routes”

From Schipol to Cape Town in daytime on a cloudless day was glorious. The coasts, the mountains, the deserts, the forests, the mouth of the Congo. Who needs an in-flight movie?

Flying into Phoenix from the UK too. The snow, lakes, forests and mountains of Canada well worth a look.

A fair point. A great airline route is actually better than high speed rail. I was wrong

flying across the Alps in clear weather is always fun. I also remember a flight across the Greenland Ice Cap from Iceland to ilullisat. OMG!

And seaplanes, I do love a seaplane. Sydney to Pittwater. Colombo to the Sri Lankan highlands. Anywhere in the Maldives to anywhere else. Seaplanes are brilliant
    I flew from St Thomas to Puerto Rico in the late Seventies with this eccentric airline:

The pilot was the only crew, and the co-pilot seat had the instruments removed to turn it into another passenger seat. Alas, my brother got that one. After taxiing down the ramp into the water the pilot had to handcraft up the wheels before taking off from the harbour.

The whole airline was a bit heath Robinson, and unfortunately the founder died in one of the planes shortly after, but a great experience while it lasted.
    - Casablanca to Marrakesh by Air Maroc. Normally when you fly across mountains, you look down on the peaks way below. On that flight, you could look up at the peaks of the Atlas Mountains going past the window.

- London to Venice Marco Polo by Al Italia. Just for the moment looking out of the window when I remarked to the other half that I was sure the airport we could see, way below, was where we were supposed to be heading; a minute or two later the pilot belatedly arrived at the same conclusion, and thence began the steepest dive I have ever experienced on a regular commercial flight.

- My own solo flight from San Diego to Los Angeles Van Nuys, making the low level VFR transit across LAX followed by a curving descent into a very busy GA airport whilst the hills to the north of LA were on fire.

- being flown around his outback ‘farm’ in South Australia by a sheep farmer, his farm being larger than most English counties.
    Meanwhile with HMF in Belize going on R&R to the local countries there were two airlines as I remember: TACA and SAHSA. Or as they were known locally, Take a Chance Airways and Stay at Home, Stay Alive.

At Teguchigulpa (sp) there is a strong incentive to take off in a timely manner as there is a mountain range at the end of the runway.
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    Oh, my! You didn't have to watch it every day, just to check, but it is very kind of you for doing so. I just checked the Graun feed later on. ,
    The electoral commission should have not allowed it.
  • Willamette Week - This Bud's for You (from 1984)

https://www.wweek.com/portland/article-4183-1984.html

Upset election victory & eventful two-terms as Mayor of Portland, Oregon by rank outsider Bud Clark (who just passed away).

"Clark . . . was a tavern owner, not a political heavyweight. He hadn't run for office since his campaign for sophomore class president at Lincoln High School in 1947. The bearded barkeep was chiefly known outside his Goose Hollow neighborhood for flashing a statue in a controversial poster Expose Yourself to Art. His idea of dressing up meant dusting off the lederhosen. His favorite mode of transit was bicycle or canoe. He was a foul-mouthed, 52-year-old ex-beatnik and "born-again pagan," a registered Republican who threatened to vote for Jesse Jackson."

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Polruan said:

Farooq said:

And nice and slow

- London to Venice Marco Polo by Al Italia. Just for the moment looking out of the window when I remarked to the other half that I was sure the airport we could see, way below, was where we were supposed to be heading; a minute or two later the pilot clearly arrived at the same thought, and thence began the steepest dive I have ever experienced on a regular commercial flight.

Rurrenebaque to Laz Paz (Bolivia).

You take off from a jungle airstrip in the Amazon basin. It’s a small prop plane, you climb and climb leaving the green below you. The Andes then appear like a cliff edge. As you cross the pristine snow capped peaks the pilot hands you an oxygen mask. You then descend fast to the madness of city in the middle of a volcanic crater that is La Paz. I did it with about an oz of weed in my pockets too, nothing in the way of security going on. 20 years ago now mind, perhaps times have changed. It was just prior to the Morales revolution so things were pretty highly charged.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited February 2022
    Andy_JS said:

The spreadsheet isn't 100% because it has a field for "sources" but then fails to give one for a number of MPs such as Caroline Nokes and James Morris.

I'm a bit dubious about the spreadsheet. Gary Sambrook is down as "suspected". Yet I have rarely seen as sycophantic a tweet as this:

https://twitter.com/GarySambrook89/status/1488243552874283011?cxt=HHwWhoCyxYropqcpAAAA
  • JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Is Brits racist?
    Japs also stands for Jewish American Princesses, which I guess is on topic.
    Back in the days when people in US also talked about WASPs. Very 20th-century, now historical artifacts.
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    And unfortunately for me I did have to watch it every day as my girlfriend at the time (formerly known as Ms Briskin) wanted to watch it.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    Then you'd complain because Kate Forbes was on instead. And so on ad infinitum.

Do you seriously think the Scons wouldn't have made their complaints if they thought there was any sense in it ? The EC is a UK body.
    Foxy said:

OT you can't give Paypal shares away. 25% down in a day. Not sure why but crikey.

Markets are a bit weird at the moment, particularly the Nasdaq. My US portfolio is 10% down this month, but bounced back quite a bit this week.

The gyrations of the Dow suggest that a lot of people are poised to sell as soon as there’s a hint that real world news might trump the lack of alternative places to put your money. With the recovery indicating that there are still lots of people prepared to buy back on the dips.

I think we are in for a rocky year.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Andy_JS said:
    Thanks for posting this.

Does anyone please have the link to, was it Nick Palmer(?) with his breakdown of where he thought everyone was at
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

The gyrations of the Dow suggest that a lot of people are poised to sell as soon as there’s a hint that real world news might trump the lack of alternative places to put your money. With the recovery indicating that there are still lots of people prepared to buy back on the dips.

I think we discussed this during the first Covid sell off. Sure (equity) markets are overpriced and valuations bonkers. But. There is nowhere else for the money to go. Let's say you sell out of equities. Now what. Rates are rising but to what, 1-2%? Look at inflation expectations.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    And unfortunately for me I did have to watch it every day as my girlfriend at the time (formerly known as Ms Briskin) wanted to watch it.
    Jusdt turn round and put your fingers in your ears/noise-cancelling earphones (whichever you prefer).
  • JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    Didn't you know that they're also in the SNP's pocket, you naive fool?
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

There is no top, BTFD

The only restriction remaining until March is the need to isolate if you actually test positive. All the rest were lifted already. And even Denmark (like England) are retaining some minor restrictions such as the requirement to wear masks in hospitals and care homes.
    moonshine said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

In moonshine manor we had a bit of minor marital strife this week because we are both positive right now. Dustbin lid is fine because he was probably patient zero over a week ago. I wanted to take him to school but Mrs Moonshine said we would become social pariahs for breaking the rules. Fuck the rules I said, they clearly weren’t ever meant to be followed anyway. Of course she prevailed.

Amusingly the school has emailed saying that our kid is “expected” to still come to school even if his parents are both positive. Just wear a mask and drop him at the door, it counts as an exceptional circumstance that allows me out the house.
    Yeah we had a very similar scenario. I followed the rules but eventually came to the conclusion they are just for cowards. A view the PM obviously came to 18 months ago.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

This Germaine Greer?

“Just because you lop off your d**k and then wear a dress doesn’t make you a f***ing woman.

“I’ve asked my doctor to give me long ears and liver spots and I’m going to wear a brown coat but that doesn’t turn me into a f***ing cocker spaniel.

“A man who gets his d**k chopped off is actually inflicting an extraordinary act of violence on himself.”
  • Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Unionist misogyny.

Nippy (Scots) = sharp, tart. Often in the format 'nippy sweetie' = dram, or, in this context, a sour sweet of some kind.

Used of a woman who is assertive and does not defer to masculine self-importance. Ditto Unionist self-importance. It is highly misogynistic.
    Squares with my own non-Caledonian, non-UKer perception.

Wonder how many votes this witticism is worth . . . for Big Fish that is?
  • Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:
    Thanks for posting this.

Does anyone please have the link to, was it Nick Palmer(?) with his breakdown of where he thought everyone was at
    You probably mean @AlastairMeeks, former PBer.

Links to his spreadsheet inside this article:-

Every Conservative MP’s position on Boris Johnson and the parties in Number 10
    https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/every-conservative-mps-position-on-boris-johnson-and-the-parties-in-number-10-bc4f5f77032f
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:
    Thanks for posting this.

Bumping this. Please please please: anyone? There was a great, more anecdotal more observational analysis of which column the various MPs are in.

Was it Nick? Or was it Alastair Meeks? It was posted on here about 10 days ago iirc and I forgot to bookmark it.

Was really useful.
  • Andy can stop sweating.

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    Jusdt turn round and put your fingers in your ears/noise-cancelling earphones (whichever you prefer).
    That's exactly what I did. I had my MP3 player with headphones on but I could still hear her in the gaps between the songs that was enough to trigger me.
  • TOPPING said:

Yeah apart from the self-isolation and allowing the MoL to keep them on his transport systems.
    The MoL has the right to decide any conditions on Public Transport. Conditions of Carriage. Same as any private carrier as well. It has nothing to do with Government policy or regulation.
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:
    Thanks for posting this.

You probably mean @AlastairMeeks, former PBer.

Links to his spreadsheet inside this article:-

Every Conservative MP’s position on Boris Johnson and the parties in Number 10
    https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/every-conservative-mps-position-on-boris-johnson-and-the-parties-in-number-10-bc4f5f77032f
    Fantastic. Thank you so much. It's really useful, especially to set alongside this new spreadsheet.

Many thanks.

p.s. He has put in so much work on this!
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

I think we discussed this during the first Covid sell off. Sure (equity) markets are overpriced and valuations bonkers. But. There is nowhere else for the money to go. Let's say you sell out of equities. Now what. Rates are rising but to what, 1-2%? Look at inflation expectations.
    For the moment, the ‘now what’ appears to be to wait for a few days and then buy back in.

The problem will arise when people stop doing that.
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    The BBC and STV have a pro-SNP bias. And the electoral commission. And your ex!
    Goodness, this conspiracy goes deep. Before long it'll just be you and Murdo left.
    My ex is firmly Anti-SNP type - she just wanted to follow the Covid rules.

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Unionist misogyny.

Squares with my own non-Caledonian, non-UKer perception.

Wonder how many votes this witticism is worth . . . for Big Fish that is?
    The alleged justification is that it is actually her own childhood nickname

The only restriction remaining until March is the need to isolate if you actually test positive. All the rest were lifted already. And even Denmark (like England) are retaining some minor restrictions such as the requirement to wear masks in hospitals and care homes.
    Edit - and checking the rules on self isolation still also apply in Denmark to anyone testing positive. Indeed it looks like the rules are now identical in both England and Denmark.
    IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

This Germaine Greer?

“Just because you lop off your d**k and then wear a dress doesn’t make you a f***ing woman.

“I’ve asked my doctor to give me long ears and liver spots and I’m going to wear a brown coat but that doesn’t turn me into a f***ing cocker spaniel.

“A man who gets his d**k chopped off is actually inflicting an extraordinary act of violence on himself.”
    Yes
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:
    Thanks for posting this.

I see HY’s hero IDS is in the ‘suspected’ column; the evidence in the associated link is a tad thin.
  • IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyway, I

rkrkrk said:

Don't disagree with Cyclefree's header, it's a good catalogue of government failings.
    But unless people are prepared to vote this government out, it won't change.

And I worry that the Conservatives are very good at finding issues which enrage otherwise hostile voters and stop them from voting Labour... like trans rights or border crossings or human rights or woke or free speech etc.

The answer to that, surely, is for Labour to have sensible policies on such issues which don't enrage people so that the Tory party's attempt at culture wars don't work.

It is possible to have such policies. I have suggested some. I dare say I could suggest more. But if you do Labour accuse you of some terrible thought crime or ostracise you or refuse to listen.

Take one example today - it is a year to the day since the death of Maureen Colquhoun, the first openly lesbian Labour MP. She was not treated well by Labour. A Labour group wanted to have some gathering in her memory and invited as a speaker her biographer and personal friend. Then disinvited her because this person thinks the GRA is just fine as it is. So the event is not now going ahead. When Labour behaves in this way to women - when it refuses to debate or listen, when it takes the view that there can only be one view on a topic which is of interest to lots of women for perfectly rational, evidence-based reasons (yes @kinabalu there are plenty even though you choose to ignore them) then it is not the Tories who are doing the enraging but Labour.

Womens' rights matter to me / the rights of children not to be abused / safeguarding and a decent police force one can trust matter to me - as my header today (and plenty more on these topics) would show. But I do not trust Labour on them. So .... they know what they have to do if they want my vote.

Where are Labour's views on police reforms, for instance? Why have the Mayor of London and the Opposition Leader supported the Met Commissioner despite all the evidence against her? Why should I believe that Labour will be any better on this or on child sex abuse etc?
    Unfair and a bit of a misrepresentation. On here we tend to get this debate presented as if all the rational, evidence-led argument is on the side of those opposed to trans self-Id and inclusion. I try to correct that by posting the rational, evidence-led argument in favour. Which is considerable.
    The one thing you haven't done is posted the rational evidence-led argument in favour. And when I have challenged you on certain consequences of your preference, you have agreed with me eg in relation to being against women being forced to name rapists as women even in a trial, even though this would be the inevitable consequence of self-ID.

And you stated yesterday something that is patently untrue - namely that trans activists do not want to erase womens' rights. I pointed out that it was the publicly stated position of trans lobby groups to remove all reference to sex in equalities legislation and to all sex-based exemptions in the Equality Act. This would remove womens' current rights. I also asked you how women would be able to take action against discrimination on the grounds of sex under the Equal Pay Act if sex was no longer a relevant category. What sort of comparator would be used and how?

So it seems to me that you do not fully understand the consequences of what you propose.

For the record, I am not opposed in the slightest to the existing rights trans people (ie those with gender dysphoria have) - those legal rights are exactly the same as everyone else has - nor do I wish to take any away. What I do oppose is the campaigns to remove womens' rights both in law and in practice. You would do well to understand how self-ID does impact on those rights and why women are concerned.
    I've posted the report from the relevant House of Commons Committee which after taking evidence from all sides recommends self-Id as the way forward. I've also pointed out that this confirms the conclusions of the UK government when it looked into this previously in 2018. I've further pointed out that several countries have adopted this approach (and have no plans to reverse it) and that Germany is about to. Like it or not these are solid points. I've also sought to explain at length why imo it is illogical (and tbh rather noxious) to present self-Id as being a 'perverts charter'.

I did *not* in my post yesterday opine on what 'trans activists' do or don't want to do. What I said was that the pro trans argument isn't 100% owned by a collection of foaming twitter activists hellbent on trampling all over women's rights. Eg I'm not a trans activist (as if!) but I recognize the strength of the case for self-Id. This doesn't mean I wish to obliterate all reference to sex in the laws of the country or to abolish the whole concept of birth sex in favour of gender. Others may argue for this but that's a matter for them. It certainly doesn't follow automatically from having a less burdensome, de-medicalized gender transition process based predominantly on self-Id.
    'Those other people are doing it and recommending it' isn't actually an argument in its favour is it? It's the same argument lemmings use when charging over a cliff. If you agree with it, you can surely find a single convincing argument for it other than pointing at the German Government.
    When looking at a reform it's relevant where else it has been done and with what impact. People are saying self-Id is a perverts charter and an attack on women's rights, yet several countries have adopted self-Id and it hasn't been a perverts charter or caused a regression in women's rights. Germany is about to join these countries. When the UK government looked at this in 2018 they concluded that self-Id was a positive reform - because it would help this minority and harm nobody else. The Women & Equalities Committee of the HoC has recently re-endorsed this in their report of Dec 21. There are some solid arguments for this reform. People who are interested should take a look at them.
    Do you have any links to studies from these countries evidencing that "it hasn't been a perverts charter or caused a regression in women's rights"? For example, that attacks on female prisoners have not increased since the change was made?
    Seems there is lot of silliness on trans rights on these boards just as there is from self indulgent commentators in the Times and the Observer. Tom Harwood on GB news has far more sensible views on trans rights and has pointed out that prisoners are already assessed on an individual basis.

Germany seems a lot better on trans rights and there is no controversy in their gvt about it.

I don't think people like Rosie Duffield and cyclefree understand the equality act and if they do they want to repeal parts of it.
    The debate on this in the UK is very heated cf other countries. Not completely sure why. The proposal in the HoC committee report on gender recognition is self-Id with controls for certain areas. The objective is to help transgender people without compromising the rights or safety of women. I think the case for it is strong.
    Because the English are such shits. Your final sentence sounds so reasonable nobody could possibly object to it, but it cashes out as Ian Huntley considering transitioning a year or two ago, and a bunch of dickless "activists" screeching transphobe at me for having the bad taste to mention the fact.
    The story about Huntley transitioning was fake tabloid bollocks.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/media/ian-huntley-transgender-claims-apology-daily-star-257028
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    JBriskin3 said:

kle4 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Andy_JS said:

JBriskin3 said:

Andy_JS said:
    Even considering a desire to keep things close to one's chest, it is remarkably few who are open about having put one in.
    I think the key fact from the spreadsheet at this point is-

Confirmed + Suspected 74.3% (of 54 letters)
    I think that it's got to the point that one high-profile resignation would tip the scales, but in its absence they'll fall short.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362

I think that it's got to the point that one high-profile resignation would tip the scales, but in its absence they'll fall short.

And if they don't resign, they are about to get reshuffled...
  • IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyway, I

rkrkrk said:

Don't disagree with Cyclefree's header, it's a good catalogue of government failings.

And I worry that the Conservatives are very good at finding issues which enrage otherwise hostile voters and stop them from voting Labour... like trans rights or border crossings or human rights or woke or free speech etc.

The answer to that, surely, is for Labour to have sensible policies on such issues which don't enrage people so that the Tory party's attempt at culture wars don't work.

It is possible to have such policies. I have suggested some. I dare say I could suggest more. But if you do Labour accuse you of some terrible thought crime or ostracise you or refuse to listen.

Take one example today - it is a year to the day since the death of Maureen Colquhoun, the first openly lesbian Labour MP. She was not treated well by Labour. A Labour group wanted to have some gathering in her memory and invited as a speaker her biographer and personal friend. Then disinvited her because this person thinks the GRA is just fine as it is. So the event is not now going ahead. When Labour behaves in this way to women - when it refuses to debate or listen, when it takes the view that there can only be one view on a topic which is of interest to lots of women for perfectly rational, evidence-based reasons (yes @kinabalu there are plenty even though you choose to ignore them) then it is not the Tories who are doing the enraging but Labour.

Womens' rights matter to me / the rights of children not to be abused / safeguarding and a decent police force one can trust matter to me - as my header today (and plenty more on these topics) would show. But I do not trust Labour on them. So .... they know what they have to do if they want my vote.

Where are Labour's views on police reforms, for instance? Why have the Mayor of London and the Opposition Leader supported the Met Commissioner despite all the evidence against her? Why should I believe that Labour will be any better on this or on child sex abuse etc?
    Unfair and a bit of a misrepresentation. On here we tend to get this debate presented as if all the rational, evidence-led argument is on the side of those opposed to trans self-Id and inclusion. I try to correct that by posting the rational, evidence-led argument in favour. Which is considerable.
    The one thing you haven't done is posted the rational evidence-led argument in favour. And when I have challenged you on certain consequences of your preference, you have agreed with me eg in relation to being against women being forced to name rapists as women even in a trial, even though this would be the inevitable consequence of self-ID.

And you stated yesterday something that is patently untrue - namely that trans activists do not want to erase womens' rights. I pointed out that it was the publicly stated position of trans lobby groups to remove all reference to sex in equalities legislation and to all sex-based exemptions in the Equality Act. This would remove womens' current rights. I also asked you how women would be able to take action against discrimination on the grounds of sex under the Equal Pay Act if sex was no longer a relevant category. What sort of comparator would be used and how?

So it seems to me that you do not fully understand the consequences of what you propose.

For the record, I am not opposed in the slightest to the existing rights trans people (ie those with gender dysphoria have) - those legal rights are exactly the same as everyone else has - nor do I wish to take any away. What I do oppose is the campaigns to remove womens' rights both in law and in practice. You would do well to understand how self-ID does impact on those rights and why women are concerned.
    I've posted the report from the relevant House of Commons Committee which after taking evidence from all sides recommends self-Id as the way forward. I've also pointed out that this confirms the conclusions of the UK government when it looked into this previously in 2018. I've further pointed out that several countries have adopted this approach (and have no plans to reverse it) and that Germany is about to. Like it or not these are solid points. I've also sought to explain at length why imo it is illogical (and tbh rather noxious) to present self-Id as being a 'perverts charter'.

I did *not* in my post yesterday opine on what 'trans activists' do or don't want to do. What I said was that the pro trans argument isn't 100% owned by a collection of foaming twitter activists hellbent on trampling all over women's rights. Eg I'm not a trans activist (as if!) but I recognize the strength of the case for self-Id. This doesn't mean I wish to obliterate all reference to sex in the laws of the country or to abolish the whole concept of birth sex in favour of gender. Others may argue for this but that's a matter for them. It certainly doesn't follow automatically from having a less burdensome, de-medicalized gender transition process based predominantly on self-Id.
    'Those other people are doing it and recommending it' isn't actually an argument in its favour is it? It's the same argument lemmings use when charging over a cliff. If you agree with it, you can surely find a single convincing argument for it other than pointing at the German Government.
    When looking at a reform it's relevant where else it has been done and with what impact. People are saying self-Id is a perverts charter and an attack on women's rights, yet several countries have adopted self-Id and it hasn't been a perverts charter or caused a regression in women's rights. Germany is about to join these countries. When the UK government looked at this in 2018 they concluded that self-Id was a positive reform - because it would help this minority and harm nobody else. The Women & Equalities Committee of the HoC has recently re-endorsed this in their report of Dec 21. There are some solid arguments for this reform. People who are interested should take a look at them.
    Do you have any links to studies from these countries evidencing that "it hasn't been a perverts charter or caused a regression in women's rights"? For example, that attacks on female prisoners have not increased since the change was made?
    Seems there is lot of silliness on trans rights on these boards just as there is from self indulgent commentators in the Times and the Observer. Tom Harwood on GB news has far more sensible views on trans rights and has pointed out that prisoners are already assessed on an individual basis.

Germany seems a lot better on trans rights and there is no controversy in their gvt about it.

I don't think people like Rosie Duffield and cyclefree understand the equality act and if they do they want to repeal parts of it.
    The debate on this in the UK is very heated cf other countries. Not completely sure why. The proposal in the HoC committee report on gender recognition is self-Id with controls for certain areas. The objective is to help transgender people without compromising the rights or safety of women. I think the case for it is strong.
    Because the English are such shits. Your final sentence sounds so reasonable nobody could possibly object to it, but it cashes out as Ian Huntley considering transitioning a year or two ago, and a bunch of dickless "activists" screeching transphobe at me for having the bad taste to mention the fact.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/media/ian-huntley-transgender-claims-apology-daily-star-257028
    Fake tabloid chopped off bollocks as it were.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,647
    Evening all :)

The big news in my part of the world is the looming TfL financial crisis. Apparently, there is a £1.5 billion funding shortfall which in PPE and fraudulent furlough claims is a drop in the ocean but nonetheless unless the Government (or someone) puts up some money, the option to shut down lines (Bakerloo and the Drain being the obvious two) is being seriously considered.

Tube passenger numbers remain at little more than half pre-Covid numbers during the week (better at weekends) but pictures of crowded tubes in the past couple of weeks don't tell the real story. The service has been none too subtly reduced - one evening there was an 8-minute gap at 5.30 on the District so not surprisingly the tube after that was busy but the following one (three minutes later) was much quieter.

Khan seems to want to stand for re-election in 2024 (I'd have thought a good time for him to return to Westminster - it worked for Boris Johnson after all) and being the Mayor who oversaw the shutdown of the tube may not sit well but it's not as though anyone has come up with a practical alternative. The world of work has changed forever and operational financial models dependent on high levels of commuter income aren't going to work any longer.

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyway, I

rkrkrk said:

Nope. Plenty of stories dated after that retraction.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,462
    Jacob Rees-Mogg saying "well, it's a view". Eesh.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    You are weirdly obsessed with her.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

I think inflation and interest rates will both go up, and of course the Ukraine situation will be difficult, whatever else happens.

Jacob Rees-Mogg saying "well, it's a view". Eesh.

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    You are weirdly obsessed with her.
    I try my best just to avoid her - but with so many SNP Types on PB I feel a moral duty to argue the case for the Union.
  • stodge said:

The big news in my part of the world is the looming TfL financial crisis. Apparently, there is a £1.5 billion funding shortfall which in PPE and fraudulent furlough claims is a drop in the ocean but nonetheless unless the Government (or someone) puts up some money, the option to shut down lines (Bakerloo and the Drain being the obvious two) is being seriously considered.

Tube passenger numbers remain at little more than half pre-Covid numbers during the week (better at weekends) but pictures of crowded tubes in the past couple of weeks don't tell the real story. The service has been none too subtly reduced - one evening there was an 8-minute gap at 5.30 on the District so not surprisingly the tube after that was busy but the following one (three minutes later) was much quieter.

Khan seems to want to stand for re-election in 2024 (I'd have thought a good time for him to return to Westminster - it worked for Boris Johnson after all) and being the Mayor who oversaw the shutdown of the tube may not sit well but it's not as though anyone has come up with a practical alternative. The world of work has changed forever and operational financial models dependent on high levels of commuter income aren't going to work any longer.

Rotherhithe Tunnel facing permanent closure too. Perpetual gridlock for the City, Canary Wharf, Southwark and Greenwich amongst others.
  • kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Is Brits racist?
    In USA use of "Japs" is considered highly offensive by 94.99% of Japanese Americans, and is avoided > eschewed > shunned by about same percent of the rest of us. In same category as "Chinks" for Chinese people.

Think this STRONG feeling stems mainly from the habitual, indeed ubiquitous use of "Japs" during WW2 in American media. Which is evident in virtually every US newsreel, movie, radio recording, book, clipping, etc., etc. from 1940-45 with any mention of the war in the Pacific.

• Surely time for a Dombox drop?
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

I think inflation and interest rates will both go up, and of course the Ukraine situation will be difficult, whatever else happens.
    Inflation will go up because the Bank of England didn't hike early enough.

Their going to announce another hike (or not) at midday tomorrow.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,762
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

Seriously? Really?

Wrong.

How kind of her.
    The BBC and STV have a pro-SNP bias. And the electoral commission. And your ex!
    Goodness, this conspiracy goes deep. Before long it'll just be you and Murdo left.
    Not so sure about Murdo. Didn’t he want a separate Scottish Tory Party?
  • stodge said:

TfL were in serious financial trouble long before Covid appeared. According to their own figures in 2019 they had £11.6 billion of debt and an operating deficit of £500 million a year
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    PB is regressing on itself.

stodge said:

Rotherhithe Tunnel facing permanent closure too. Perpetual gridlock for the City, Canary Wharf, Southwark and Greenwich amongst others.
    I got out just in time.
    Was clear this was coming.

The Tories don’t care because it is Labour voting London.
This discussion has been closed.