Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Nadine & Moggsy – the two Johnson uber-loyalists – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,354

Anyone who thinks that Labour are desperate for PR, and that they want it so badly they'd give the SNP indyref 2 for them supporting it, doesn't have a clue about the Labour Party.

Having the SNP demand IndyRef 2, in return for PR, would be ideal for both parties.

It would give the Labour Party an excuse to turn them down, to the relief of both, who benefit from FPTP massively.
    PR isn't *official* Labour policy anyway. It got voted down by the unions at party conference, and there's never been any indication Starmer has supported it as a policy.
    About 80% of CLPs supported PR at conference. It was only the block vote of the unions that defeated it. Starmer is keeping his powder dry on PR.
  • HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

About Billings being a nudger and a nurdler...

He is. That last 6 was a good example, he can only just get it over the boundary.
    :lol:
    Billings strike rate in T20, 120.... Livingstone 160, Salt over 150.

I once hit Mushaq Ahmed for a 6, I was no KP.
    As we're in the 'once' area and cricket. Without looking it up - do you know a famous first class cricketer who's only first class wicket was WG Grace?
    I remember Marcus Trescothick's only test wicket was Inzamam-ul-Haq.
    I didn't know that. This is a very famous man though.
    I cheated and looked it up.

I will admit, I had no idea he'd even played first class cricket. Apparently he played ten first class matches but mostly as a batsman. At minor county level 7/61 suggests he could bowl on his day.
    For others

"He could hit hard and bowl slows with a puzzling flight. For MCC v Cambridgeshire at Lord's, in 1899, he took seven wickets for 61 runs, and on the same ground two years later carried out his bat for 32 against Leicestershire"

Just the one first class wicket thoiugh, and he's not famous for cricket.
    Arthur Balfour? Mind, he certainly went in for the golf.
    The only PM to play first class cricket was Alec Douglas Home, who wasn't much better as a cricketer than as a PM.

Here's a more obscure one though. Who was the only England cricket captain to play a lead role opposite Greta Garbo?
    Home was an OK PM and he ran Wilson unexpectedly close in 1964, Wilson only got a majority of 4
    "The only PM to play first class cricket was Alec Douglas Home".

WIDE!!!

How about the only PM to bowl two consecutive overs in a Test match at Lord's?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

Foxy said:

Leon said:

My God, Munich the Netflix movie is bad. Like, monumentally bad

Inert acting, laborious screenplay, terrible “plot”, no drama, insane non-existent twists, nice costumes, no wit, no fun, fucking hell

I get that the original material is possibly a bit shit. But jeez. The theme is so fertile?

This is what happens when a company like Netflix has all the money and zero ideas

Jeremy Irons is good. He looks and sounds like Chamberlain. But, he's basically a walk-on part. The Hitler looks and sounds nothing like Hitler. And what I thought the film was trying to achieve wasn't really what it was about.

It's basically about two university friends, one German and one English, and how they get caught up in 1930s politics - which is a slow and confused story that jumps around - with no real payoff. German guy: he's pro, and then he becomes anti, because he realises the Nazis really mean business with the Jews, and then we belatedly find out his girlfriend was one all along? Eh? The drama of the conference and the high politics of the situation is only flirted with, and you're left never really understanding why Hitler wanted to deal or why.

That said it at least shows another side to Chamberlain towards the end, which is something.
    Yes, I thought the same. The plot of the university friends was both plodding and implausible. Irons was very good indeed. Hitler was not. None of the evil charisma of the man in his prime.

There is a good film to be made one day over the drift to war, and the futile efforts to stop it, but this isn't it.
    The actor who played AH also played Goebbels in Downfall which worked, but he just didn’t have it for this part. It’s tricky playing these massive historical figures that everyone has an idea of, but of course Ganz managed it magnificently.
    Recently finished The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime, 4*10 episodes), absolutely riveting viewing with a dozen interesting, nuanced characters including Himmler and diverse other thugs well played (Hitler has died at the start of the alternative history in which the Axis won the war). Suspension of disbelief required (alternate worlds in which Axis and Allies respectively won, which become connected) but superb stuff. Despite numerous previous denials it seems Amazon have commissioned a new series, starting in November - can't wait.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    carnforth said:

For those with anti-woke tendencies, or just for those who like a good polemic, an absolute banger of a book review in The Times today.

Sexual Revolution by Laurie Penny review — feminism with the women cut out

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a63ee364-7ed9-11ec-8532-85a58274df7c?shareToken=b878966266ebf5653d4df94e9b781877

I gave up when the reviewer used a phrase they clearly had no idea the meaning of.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManicPixieDreamGirl

• WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited January 2022

Scott_xP said:

🔴 Boris Johnson's chief of staff Dan Rosenfield spent the day at a cricket match three days before the fall of Kabul, raising further questions about Number 10's role in the operation to rescue UK and Afghan nationals https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/29/boris-johnsons-senior-aide-watched-cricket-kabul-fell/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1643491397-2

More pretty recent leaks. I suspect the hand of Dom again, co-ordinating with disgruntled insiders.
    Rosenfield was appointed a couple of months after Cummings had already left. There was no overlap. However, there does seem to be an anti-Rosenfield faction, given he is often blamed for parties that took place before he joined Number 10.
    The party on the eve of Prince Philip's funeral was also several months after Cummings had left, and that seemed to come in a line of Cummings revelations, that had been trailed.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

For those with anti-woke tendencies, or just for those who like a good polemic, an absolute banger of a book review in The Times today.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a63ee364-7ed9-11ec-8532-85a58274df7c?shareToken=b878966266ebf5653d4df94e9b781877

I gave up when the reviewer used a phrase they clearly had no idea the meaning of.

Well. It is Sarah Ditum.
    edited January 2022
    Operation Big War Dog :

"The UK has offered to deploy land, air and sea forces to bolster the defence of Nato countries on their northern and eastern borders as tensions over Russia’s military ambitions in Ukraine deepen.

Boris Johnson is expected to speak to the Russian leader Vladimir Putin this week, and travel to the region, despite intense domestic pressure over a possible leadership challenge in the wake of the “partygate” scandal.

Johnson said the extra resources were a sign of Britain’s commitment to its Nordic and Baltic allies, and come after the US president, Joe Biden, promised on Friday to send a small number of American troops to eastern European and Nato countries “in the near term”.

The decision aimed to “send a clear message to the Kremlin”, Johnson said in a statement. “We will not tolerate their destabilising activity, and we will always stand with our Nato allies in the face of Russian hostility.”

The deployments included sending two warships to the Black Sea, increasing troop numbers and supplying rocket systems in Estonia, on the Russian border, and deploying fast jets to patrol Romanian and Bulgarian airspace from a base in Cyprus, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said."

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He is. That last 6 was a good example, he can only just get it over the boundary.

As we're in the 'once' area and cricket. Without looking it up - do you know a famous first class cricketer who's only first class wicket was WG Grace?

I will admit, I had no idea he'd even played first class cricket. Apparently he played ten first class matches but mostly as a batsman. At minor county level 7/61 suggests he could bowl on his day.
    For others

"He could hit hard and bowl slows with a puzzling flight. For MCC v Cambridgeshire at Lord's, in 1899, he took seven wickets for 61 runs, and on the same ground two years later carried out his bat for 32 against Leicestershire"

The only PM to play first class cricket was Alec Douglas Home, who wasn't much better as a cricketer than as a PM.

Here's a more obscure one though. Who was the only England cricket captain to play a lead role opposite Greta Garbo?
    Home was an OK PM and he ran Wilson unexpectedly close in 1964, Wilson only got a majority of 4

WIDE!!!

The village close to where I grew up can out-obscure that :smile:

What, when and where was the oldest still extant World Record first class wicket-partnership ?

283 for 9th Wicket. A Warren and J Chapman. Derbyshire vs Warwickshire.

In 1910 (18-21 June) at ... drum roll ... Blackwell Miners Welfare Cricket Ground.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1910S/1910/ENG_LOCAL/CC/DERBY_WARWICKS_CC_18-21JUN1910.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Miners+Welfare+Ground/@53.1185831,-1.3535574,499m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!1m2!2m1!1sblackwell+miners+welfare!3m5!1s0x487993d6ce2ea3d1:0xd5c260827799d9a8!8m2!3d53.1193716!4d-1.3514288!15sChhibGFja3dlbGwgbWluZXJzIHdlbGZhcmWSAQ5jcmlja2V0X2dyb3VuZA
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,040
    edited January 2022
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

WIDE!!!

What, when and where was the oldest still extant World Record first class wicket-partnership ?

In 1910 (18-21 June) at ... drum roll ... Blackwell Miners Welfare Cricket Ground.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1910S/1910/ENG_LOCAL/CC/DERBY_WARWICKS_CC_18-21JUN1910.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Miners+Welfare+Ground/@53.1185831,-1.3535574,499m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!1m2!2m1!1sblackwell+miners+welfare!3m5!1s0x487993d6ce2ea3d1:0xd5c260827799d9a8!8m2!3d53.1193716!4d-1.3514288!15sChhibGFja3dlbGwgbWluZXJzIHdlbGZhcmWSAQ5jcmlja2V0X2dyb3VuZA
    Alas, before my time. But 15 August 1982 definitely wasn't. Imran Khan bowled Robin Jackman from the Pavilion End for a duck, finishing England's innings 201 behind. They were invited to follow on and Imran bowled the very next over, a maiden, from the Nursery End to Derek Randall. It was, incidentally, the first time Test cricket was played at Lord's on a Sunday, being the last venue to dispense with a rest day.

Edit: http://www.howstat.com/cricket/statistics/matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=0932
    Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

Penny has been using that of herself for a long, long time. It's one trope that she uses to identify a series of other people's definitions she appropriated in her (may be the wrong pronoun) journey to find herself. Sarah Ditum (recovering better than average Guardian columnist) seems to think that LP is still lost.

Manic Pixie Dream Girl was the story that fit. Of course, I didn’t think of it in those terms; all I saw was that in the books and series I loved – mainly science fiction, comics and offbeat literature, not the mainstream films that would later make the MPDG trope famous – there were certain kinds of girl you could be, and if you weren’t a busty bombshell, if you were maybe a bit weird and clever and brunette, there was another option.

And that’s how I became a Manic Pixie Dream Girl. The basic physical and personality traits were already there, and some of it was doubtless honed by that learned girlish desire to please – because the posture does please people, particularly the kind of sad, bright, bookish young men who have often been my friends and lovers.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/06/i-was-manic-pixie-dream-girl

My favourite LP is still from the student demos in 2010 ish. Paraphrase:

Tweet: 'They are forming a kettle. I'm going in !!'
    Tweet 2 hours later: 'I'm stuck in a kettle. They won't let me out !!'

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

WIDE!!!

Alas, before my time. But 15 August 1982 definitely wasn't. Imran Khan bowled Robin Jackman from the Pavilion End for a duck, finishing England's innings 201 behind. They were invited to follow on and Imran bowled the very next over, a maiden, from the Nursery End to Derek Randall. It was, incidentally, the first time Test cricket was played at Lord's on a Sunday, being the last venue to dispense with a rest day.

Edit: http://www.howstat.com/cricket/statistics/matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=0932
    I have many memories of Derek Randall's sense of humour. He was a regular at the Special School where my mum was a physiotherapist. They also used to get Princess Anne quite often as they did riding with one of her charities. I had a currant from her wedding cake when I was at infant school age.
  • MattW said:

Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

Penny has been using that of herself for a long, long time. It's one trope that she uses to identify a series of other people's definitions she appropriated in her (may be the wrong pronoun) journey to find herself. Sarah Ditum (recovering better than average Guardian columnist) seems to think that LP is still lost.

Manic Pixie Dream Girl was the story that fit. Of course, I didn’t think of it in those terms; all I saw was that in the books and series I loved – mainly science fiction, comics and offbeat literature, not the mainstream films that would later make the MPDG trope famous – there were certain kinds of girl you could be, and if you weren’t a busty bombshell, if you were maybe a bit weird and clever and brunette, there was another option.

And that’s how I became a Manic Pixie Dream Girl. The basic physical and personality traits were already there, and some of it was doubtless honed by that learned girlish desire to please – because the posture does please people, particularly the kind of sad, bright, bookish young men who have often been my friends and lovers.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/06/i-was-manic-pixie-dream-girl

My favourite LP is still from the student demos in 2010 ish. Paraphrase:

Tweet: 'They are forming a kettle. I'm going in !!'
    Tweet 2 hours later: 'I'm stuck in a kettle. They won't let me out !!'
    A movie worth catching, if you can, is Celine and Julie Go Boating. Two Manic Pixie Dream Girls in thrall to each other, in a platonic sort of way.

Bon nuit.
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

Well. It is Sarah Ditum.
    I quite appreciate Sarah Ditum, even though I don't often agree.

She does thought process and argument, rather than stream of consciousness and postmodern.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Operation Big War Dog :

"The UK has offered to deploy land, air and sea forces to bolster the defence of Nato countries on their northern and eastern borders as tensions over Russia’s military ambitions in Ukraine deepen.

Boris Johnson is expected to speak to the Russian leader Vladimir Putin this week, and travel to the region, despite intense domestic pressure over a possible leadership challenge in the wake of the “partygate” scandal.

Johnson said the extra resources were a sign of Britain’s commitment to its Nordic and Baltic allies, and come after the US president, Joe Biden, promised on Friday to send a small number of American troops to eastern European and Nato countries “in the near term”.

The decision aimed to “send a clear message to the Kremlin”, Johnson said in a statement. “We will not tolerate their destabilising activity, and we will always stand with our Nato allies in the face of Russian hostility.”

The deployments included sending two warships to the Black Sea, increasing troop numbers and supplying rocket systems in Estonia, on the Russian border, and deploying fast jets to patrol Romanian and Bulgarian airspace from a base in Cyprus, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said."

Does Big Dog know what he is doing or just blundering in? Johnson in his General's uniform pretending to command a Ukrainian tank regiment on the border with Belarus might send Putin over the edge.

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, woof, woof.
    edited January 2022
    Let me also point out a good thing wrt Laurie P.

AIUI she had a role in the downfall of Melanie Philips, in that she was I think the one Philips got Jack Monroe muddled up with for a couple of hours - which precipitated the legal action for defamation.

I think. Will withdraw immediately if I have the wrong people muddled up with each other :smile:
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231
    MattW said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

WIDE!!!

I have many memories of Derek Randall's sense of humour. He was a regular at the Special School where my mum was a physiotherapist. They also used to get Princess Anne quite often as they did riding with one of her charities. I had a currant from her wedding cake when I was at infant school age.
    I used to love reading about Derek Randall in the Brearley Ashes books.

In one test where they were batting together he said "don't worry skip, in 20 minutes, it'll only be 15 minutes until tea". And I love the way he called himself "Rags".
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

WIDE!!!

I used to love reading about Derek Randall in the Brearley Ashes books.

In one test where they were batting together he said "don't worry skip, in 20 minutes, it'll only be 15 minutes until tea". And I love the way he called himself "Rags".
    One day he was batting in a wheelchair cricket match, and they gave him a bat which was 3" long.

So he knelt down and headed it instead.
  • Just seen the National Insurance rise has been confirmed as going ahead. Disgusting.

The letters need to go in to topple this government ASAP.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    edited January 2022

Just seen the National Insurance rise has been confirmed as going ahead. Disgusting.

The letters need to go in to topple this government ASAP.

Tory MPs are hardly going to topple their own government. Sunak and Johnson came out in a joint Sunday Times article supporting the NI rise, so Boris has tied Sunak to it as much as he is anyway
    As cricket is the subject, I would note that my name appears in the score book at Lord's, having taken a wicket there back in 2008.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    rcs1000 said:

As cricket is the subject, I would note that my name appears in the score book at Lord's, having taken a wicket there back in 2008.

Which team were you playing for?
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Old Dirigibles ?
    England Women have a chance in Canberra after taking a wicket just before lunch. Australia lead by 163 with 6 wickets remaining.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/57192773
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

I was playing for an Indian stockbroker called Enam that had made it to the corporate cricket finals by shamelessly hiring pretty much any financially literate Indian who had played first class cricket.

One of the perks of dealing with them (and to be fair, they were actually pretty knowledgeable) was that you never knew who was going to pick up the phone. Only you could be fairly sure they had made a bunch of centuries.

They invited me to play after losing one of their better players. After 15 minutes of practice, they took me aside and said (basically) "you can't bat. Under no circumstances must you face any bowling". But they decided my slow leg breaks were deserving of a couple of overs, and a batsman inadvisably holded out.

My other "true but slightly misleading" fact is that I played Bridge for the Cambridge University Bridge First Team.

Which is true. But it was only once. And it was in the Cambridgeshire League, on the last day of the season, when no one could possibly beat them.
  • PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

WIDE!!!

Imran Khan.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited January 2022
    Pensfold said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

WIDE!!!

Imran Khan.
    "two consecutive overs" ...
    edited January 2022
    This one is quite a good candidate for being another Cummings-related leak.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10455725/Carrie-Johnsons-friends-held-Downing-St-Winner-Takes-Abba-party-day-Cummings-quit.html

The senior civil servant investigating Partygate has taken evidence about a 'Winner Takes It All' Abba party to mark the resignation of Dominic Cummings, The Mail on Sunday has been told.

It is understood that as part of her inquiry into socialising in Boris Johnson's No 10 flat, Sue Gray has been told about a 'victory party' held by friends of the Prime Minister's then fiancée Carrie Symonds on the night of November 13, 2020, after Mr Cummings had left with his belongings in a box.

He had allegedly lost a power struggle with Ms Symonds and other advisers.

'There was the sound of lots of banging and dancing and drinking, and a number of Abba tracks – including a triumphalist Winner Takes It All,' a source said."

edited January 2022
    Farooq said:

Operation Big War Dog :

Does Big Dog know what he is doing or just blundering in? Johnson in his General's uniform pretending to command a Ukrainian tank regiment on the border with Belarus might send Putin over the edge.

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, woof, woof.
    Yes, he does, and he's entirely right to answer Ukraine's call for help. Democracies of the world, unite!
    It's rather more complex than this, though. At this moment the Ukrainian government is telling the U.S. to cool off a bit in its rhetoric, for instance.

This article covers some of the reasons for the differences in rhetoric quite well .

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/28/politics/president-joe-biden-zelensky-putin-russia-ukraine/index.html
    Practice Wordle puzzles are available here.

https://metzger.media/games/wordle-archive/?random=play&letters=5
  • PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

Pensfold said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

WIDE!!!

Imran Khan.
    "two consecutive overs" ...
    Possible if England followed on.
This discussion has been closed.