Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Nadine & Moggsy – the two Johnson uber-loyalists – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

darkage said:

In fact, building on my last comment, my optimum scenario would perhaps be Keir Starmer leading the tories. I am a total centrist dad.

That's more like the Saturday PB spirit!

Living in Nippy's semi-autonomous paradise I'm not sure I will be able to consider Sir Keir's party for much longer-

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-says-more-powers-26079744
    I think Slab being nakedly pro-Union is strategically flawed. They should be neutral and allow individual Labour candidates to express their own views. I think Labour would do better north of the Tweed if they weren’t seen as the natural home of Rangers supporters.
    I don't mind them being strategically ambigious - But Anas (and Sir Keir) seems to drunk half of the glass of kool aid.
  • James Johnson
    @jamesjohnson252
    ·
    21m
    Our focus groups are not mellowing on Boris - if anything they’re getting worse

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1487492357977260040

===

Time and tide, Sunak. Time and tide...

But are they proper tories?
    It's OK

He will be once elected and he will deny any loyalty to Boris
  • Roger said:

excellent piece on Ch 4 News. John Major's Private Secretary particularly impressive as is the ex Attorney General and the High Court judge who declares the police behaviour bullshit (my words not his)

https://www.channel4.com/now/C4

I haven't heard anyone defend Cressida Dick

Why is she still in office
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

I expect when Boris appears with Sue Gray's redacted report. the fury across all sides will be palpable and may well see the letters going in

This is wrong and an abuse of the electorate

Hopefully someone in Gray’s office has taken one for the team and leaked the full report to the Sunday Sport.
    I am sure that will not happen and actually that would be a disaster for everyone

We must demand Dick backs off and the full report is published by Sue Gray
    Yeah right, that's really going to happen.

I think Slab being nakedly pro-Union is strategically flawed. They should be neutral and allow individual Labour candidates to express their own views. I think Labour would do better north of the Tweed if they weren’t seen as the natural home of Rangers supporters.

No point. Why would anyone vote for a slate of synthetic pro-independence candidates (with a leader in London who daren't let Scotland go) when they can keep on voting for real ones?

Just got back from a rubbish day out and been cheered by the Covid numbers. I’d expected a rise this week, but there’s another fall on all metrics. That said, life is seemingly rapidly back to normal down here. Pubs lovely and busy and masks become rarer in shops.

The wretched things still very much in evidence around this neck of the woods, but compulsion has only just ended I suppose.

Looks like Dom's moving on to Plan B here (or alternative Plan A): now that destroying Boris and replacing him with his protégé Rishi has been scuppered, he'll make Boris look so toxically arrogant, slapdash and downright dangerous that Boris will bring the entire Tory Party crashing down with him at the next election. This could get bloody.

The problem being that we have to put up with the sods for over two years under that scenario, and there's no guarantee of getting rid of them at the end of that, either.

Still, there's no point worrying about things that one is powerless to change, I suppose.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    edited January 2022
    Chris said:

The second problem is that Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s former senior aide, has signalled that further revelations about the prime minister’s chaotic administration are likely as long as he remains in post. This weekend two sources have revealed that in early 2020 Cummings ordered a crackdown on highly classified intelligence papers being put in Johnson’s ministerial red box.

It is understood that he acted after visiting the family flat and finding highly classified “STRAP” material, easily identifiable because it is printed on pink paper, lying around where it could be read by any visitor. It was also found in the upstairs quarters at Chequers.

One source compared the scene, where Carrie Johnson entertained friends, to “a frat house”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/is-boris-johnson-wriggling-free-of-partygate-hn9rlbkrw

Whatever next? They found the baby playing with the nuclear button?
    Well, it's his right as prime minister to be honest.

Roger said:

excellent piece on Ch 4 News. John Major's Private Secretary particularly impressive as is the ex Attorney General and the High Court judge who declares the police behaviour bullshit (my words not his)

https://www.channel4.com/now/C4

I haven't heard anyone defend Cressida Dick

Why is she still in office
    Some have alleged that the events of the last couple of days demonstrate why she is still in office...
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At least Mike didn't use that photo of Nadine wearing that bloody stupid Indiana Jones hat.

I am actually quite a fan of Nadine who is MP for the constituency next to mine.
    Indeed, Nadine got 59.8% of the vote in 2019 in Mid Bedfordshire, she will be there for years to come
    Have a look at how well Tony Newton did in ‘defending’ Braintree in 1997.
    Newton only got 52% in 1992, even on the same swing in Braintree in 1997 in Mid Bedfordshire in 2024 Dorries would hold the seat comfortably with a 10% majority over Labour
    Too simplistic, I think. What happened in 1997 was that the non Tory vote coalesced around Alan Hurst.
    I met both of them; Hurst was a really nice guy and a good constituency MP.
    So, I included exactly the same swing and tactical voting for Hurst and Labour in Mid Bedfordshire as occurred in Braintree in 1997 and Dorries still won comfortably.

Mid Bedfordshire is comfortably in the top 150 safest Tory seats now and remember even in 1997 165 Tory MPs held on
    You’re much more enthusiastic than I am about this sort of analysis but in 1997 and 2001 things were a lot tighter.
    We’re going to to wait and see! If some of our more excitable colleagues on Pb are to be believed we might not have long to wait.
    I’d like to see an end to this Parliament and Government but I fear the wait might be long.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,553
    edited January 2022
    Heh.

• MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    edited January 2022
    There is a bit of a bid/offer spread but Tom Tugendhat is now effectively joint 2nd favourite level with Truss for next Con leader.
  • Heh.

It's Gray not Grey
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    edited January 2022

darkage said:

Was getting a bit bored being on day 6 of self isolation, having largely recovered but still testing positive so unable to lawfully leave the house. I bought in an order of wine and beer and a ready meal from Morrisons via deliveroo. Not cheap. And obviously not an option to those struggling to make ends meet.

Hope you are free soon
    Thanks BigG. First time I have been in serious self isolation. I was ok with lockdown because of the the shopping/exercise exceptions. This is pretty harsh though. It is important not to lose sight of the fact that this is a really extreme measure for a flu-like illness - absolutely unthinkable pre 2020. And very unfair, because your experience (and sanity) depend so much on your housing situation. I've got a well sized house, balcony and private garden and a decent amount of money in the bank to buy almost anything I want via deliveroo, but it's still getting me down - it feels morally wrong to impose this on anyone, but particularly people less well off than me.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Senior conservation mps want full report

And quite right - we all must demand the full report now and sack Dick if necessary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60183030

Why would Johnson want that outcome? A replacement might start looking at WhatsApp allegations. We can't have that.
  • darkage said:

darkage said:

Was getting a bit bored being on day 6 of self isolation, having largely recovered but still testing positive so unable to lawfully leave the house. I bought in an order of wine and beer and a ready meal from Morrisons via deliveroo. Not cheap. And obviously not an option to those struggling to make ends meet.

Hope you are free soon
    Thanks BigG. First time I have been in serious self isolation. I was ok with lockdown because of the the shopping/exercise exceptions. This is pretty harsh though. It is important not to lose sight of the fact that this is a really extreme measure for a flu-like illness - absolutely unthinkable pre 2020. And very unfair, because your experience (and sanity) depend so much on your housing situation. I've got a well sized house, balcony and private garden and a decent amount of money in the bank to buy almost anything I want via deliveroo, but it's still getting me down - it feels morally wrong to impose this on anyone, but particularly people less well off than me.
    Good post
  • Heh.

It's Gray not Grey
    If only there were some high profile document released, a "Gray report" so to speak.

We could use it to confirm the correct spelling of her name.

Among other things.
  • Senior conservation mps want full report

And quite right - we all must demand the full report now and sack Dick if necessary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60183030

Why would Johnson want that outcome? A replacement might start looking at WhatsApp allegations. We can't have that.
    I do not care what Boris wants, I want the public respected and not abused by shannigans from the Met

And Boris removed would be just fine
  • MikeL said:

There is a bit of a bid/offer spread but Tom Tugendhat is now effectively joint 2nd favourite level with Truss for next Con leader.

I really hope Tom Tugendhat going public will be a catalyst for change at the top and fast
    pigeon said:

No point. Why would anyone vote for a slate of synthetic pro-independence candidates (with a leader in London who daren't let Scotland go) when they can keep on voting for real ones?

The price of the, rather likely, Lab/SNP coalition will enevitably be an #indyref2

I hope Boris goes soon and the new leader can write a rather simple letter post the inevitable Section 30 request.
  • Heh.

It's Gray not Grey
    More like 50 Shades of black marker pen.
    Courtesy of Cressida Dick's incompetence which is breathtaking
  • Leon said:

My God, Munich the Netflix movie is bad. Like, monumentally bad

Inert acting, laborious screenplay, terrible “plot”, no drama, insane non-existent twists, nice costumes, no wit, no fun, fucking hell

I get that the original material is possibly a bit shit. But jeez. The theme is so fertile?

This is what happens when a company like Netflix has all the money and zero ideas

Jeremy Irons is good. He looks and sounds like Chamberlain. But, he's basically a walk-on part. The Hitler looks and sounds nothing like Hitler. And what I thought the film was trying to achieve wasn't really what it was about.

It's basically about two university friends, one German and one English, and how they get caught up in 1930s politics - which is a slow and confused story that jumps around - with no real payoff. German guy: he's pro, and then he becomes anti, because he realises the Nazis really mean business with the Jews, and then we belatedly find out his girlfriend was one all along? Eh? The drama of the conference and the high politics of the situation is only flirted with, and you're left never really understanding why Hitler wanted to deal or why.

That said it at least shows another side to Chamberlain towards the end, which is something.
    Good job I didn't intend to watch it, because you have given away half the plot.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625
    JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

The price of the, rather likely, Lab/SNP coalition will enevitably be an #indyref2

I hope Boris goes soon and the new leader can write a rather simple letter post the inevitable Section 30 request.
    Indyref2 for Scotland and a push for PR if they win the referendum.

MikeL said:

I really hope Tom Tugendhat going public will be a catalyst for change at the top and fast
    I wonder if he is the stalking donkey to act as said catalyst.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

Roger said:

Anyone think this BJ thing is over listen to Any Answers. Listen particularly for ex John Major's Private Secretary (or similar). Hilarious. I'm not not talking studio audience I'm talking about the phone in afterwards. As a human being Johnson's finished

Most of the habitual Tories I know would not vote Tory today, or so they say. (I generally vote Tory in GEs but certainly would not so right now). But there is no sense of having given up on the Tories as such, any more than centrists gave up on Labour in the dark days of Corbyn.
    I think that is correct

Conservative mps depose Boris and a new leader from Rishi , Truss, Hunt or Tugendhat with a clearance of cabinet inadequates of JRM, Dorries and a few others, would see a change of narrative

I will rejoin on Boris's exit which is more than likely some time this year
    Hunt or Tugendhat are Remainers, I expect they would see barely any Remainers switch from Labour or LD to a Tories led by them post Brexit. However some Leavers currently voting Tory under Boris would likely switch to RefUK or Labour under them.

Truss was a Remainer even if now a committed Leaver and a libertarian, I expect she would also see leakage to RefUK and Labour, especially in the redwall. I also doubt any voters currently voting Labour or LD switch to a Truss led Tories.

Sunak as a Leaver is likely to see less switching to RefUK however I doubt he would win many voters from Labour or the LDs either. At most he might win a few voters back who voted for Cameron in 2015 but have voted LD for example since. However I also think he would not have the appeal Boris does to the white working class in the redwall
    Total tosh. I know loads of people like myself that would happily return to the Conservative Party if The Clown is kicked out. You are obsessed with "Leavers and Remainers" even though you were a "remainer" yourself. It is yesterdays war, and very few people but the most swivel-eyed care. All I want is a competent, fiscally sensible, business friendly, socially liberal Conservative party back. Not this populist incompetent crap that we will continue top have under your idol "Boris". Wake up: he is a fuckwit.
    And there are plenty I know where @HYFUD’s analysis is right. It will be a trade off but, on balance, I think @HYFUD is right.
    The problem is that even if @HYUFD is right for 90% of 2019 Conservative voters, that's still a fairly meaningful drop in the Conservative vote.
    Yes, but you are assuming that everything else stays the same, which it probably will not. Labour is seeing shifts away from it from other ethnic groups (Indian Hindu / Sikhs etc) plus a further drop off in traditional “Labour until I die” voters. Labour has been seeing structural shifts in its vote since 2005 at least. 2019 just accelerated many of those trends.

Of course.

But lots of things play out in different directions, all of which influence voters.

Over time, governments tend to become more unpopular. Not because they necessarily become any worse at governing, but because human nature is to attribute things that go well to your own effort, and to blame external actors for ones failures.

Heh.

It's Gray not Grey
    Obviously the book shop had a copy of the Sue Grey report. I mean there was hundreds of thousands of copies of that romantic bilge.

Now if they had the Sue Gray report they would be onto something...

MikeL said:

Sunak needs to resign as a protest. Incandescent with rage at the Met''s behaviour.

That would put him in pole position for Johnson's fall, which I suspect would swifty follow

If you are reading this Mr Sunak, do the right thing!
  • Taz said:

MikeL said:

Anything to see Boris leave his post
  • My word.

MikeL said:

He who dares etc...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    Leon said:

My God, Munich the Netflix movie is bad. Like, monumentally bad

Inert acting, laborious screenplay, terrible “plot”, no drama, insane non-existent twists, nice costumes, no wit, no fun, fucking hell

I get that the original material is possibly a bit shit. But jeez. The theme is so fertile?

This is what happens when a company like Netflix has all the money and zero ideas

Try All of Us are Dead - Korean high school zombie series.
    Korea on a great roll with the zombie genre.

Political anecdata from bluest Surrey - I'm noticing a moderate increase in Labour membership, activity and interest on the doorstep, after a year when people were preoccupied with the pandemic and barely active on the political side. Some of that is very explicitly about Boris Johnson, but there's a more general "time for a change from the Tories" starting to build among floating voters which I've not really seen for a while - "Honestly, I'm bored of their squabbles, maybe you can do better", as one said. At a national level, Ann Black (on the NEC) reports something similar.

It's not dramatic and it's more anti-Tory than pro-Labour, but I've been around enough to recognise a shift in mood.

I'd agree with that. I have no interest in voting Tory at the moment: they offer nothing for me. It all feels a bit 1995 to me.

The difference is that Labour are nowhere near where they were under Blair. Also, they haven't fully modernised and addressed their weaknesses: immigration and identity politics is Labour's Achilles heel amongst many floating voters - and it's clear to me that turning it up to 11 is one of the first things they'll do - but if the economy goes down the tubes or people are taxed/priced into oblivion they might still get in regardless.
    One only has to look at America in 1976, 2016 and 2020 to realise that sometimes people who are manifestly unqualified make it to top spot... Because the alternative looks worse.
    Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

Starmer won't concede a referendum, unless or until it becomes obvious that a settled majority of Scottish public opinion demands it. If the SNP does end up holding the balance of power in the Commons then it won't help them very much: what are they going to do if Labour won't give them what they want, side with the hated Tories?

No Conservative or Labour leader is ever going to propose PR for Westminster. The current system suits the duopoly far too well.
    Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

If SNP Types win their indyref2 to all bets are off including the voting system.

Taz said:

MikeL said:

It's interesting because one of the thoughts de jour of the political journos is to laugh at the idea of the stalking horse as "the rules have changed since Thatcher's day, do keep up" etc etc.

So would be funny if someone does effectively become the horse and lands themselves the Foreign Sec post in a new administration.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    edited January 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

If SNP Types win their indyref2 to all bets are off including the voting system.
    I think it was Labour to reform the voting system outside Scotland if Sindy wins.

The irony of course is that the greatest current beneficiaries of our FPTP voting system are the SNP. Just imagine how dominant they would be even compared to their current strength if we had it at Holyrood.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

PR means the Unions and Corbynites walk out of the Labour party and start their own party and there is never a Labour majority government again.

That is also the price. ReformUK would win MPs too and it ends the 2 party system
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Rowena
    @JustRowena
    ·
    1m
    I heard Boris used as a verb today. Bloke telling his mate that he'd gone home last night late and off his face and, when his wife challenged him (presumably he'd promised he'd be neither) he "Just Borised it."
    ydoethur said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

I think it was Labour to reform the voting system outside Scotland if Sindy wins.

The irony of course is that the greatest current beneficiaries of our FPTP voting system are the SNP. Just imagine how dominant they would be even compared to their current strength if we had it at Holyrood.
    SNP Type majorities are scary full stop-

"I don’t go in for hyperbole (honestly) but in today’s Scotland there is no need. Woman is interviewed by police, not because she has committed a crime, but because they want to ascertain what she was thinking.
    @PoliceScotland
    is literally the thought police."

https://twitter.com/DalgetySusan/status/1487304450947624964?s=20&t=G1wzvOKylQs85Z5VV3shNQ
    JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

PR from labour and expected from the SNP as a condition. The loss of Scotland would make it very hard for another lab majority govt for quite a while.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    MikeL said:

Why has he suddenly become more popular with punters?
    HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

PR means the Unions and Corbynites walk out of the Labour party and start their own party and there is never a Labour majority government again.

That is also the price. ReformUK would win MPs too and it ends the 2 party system
    Not sure about this one. Why would Unions care which voting system they're fighting under?
  • HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

Why would the SNP want PR when they are massive winners from FPTP?

2019 Election

Con 44% of vote, 56% of seats
    Lab 32% of vote, 31% of seats
    SNP 4% of vote, 7% of seats
    LD 12% of vote, 2% of seats
    HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

No, the the centrist Dads and PrOgReSsIvE aLlIaNcE brigade get what they think will keep the Tories out and give them centre left governments in perpetuity.
    Guardian reporting Jennifer Arcuri could yet do for Johnson.

Or is that just wishful thinking?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

Stop. I can only get so erect.
    Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

PR from labour and expected from the SNP as a condition. The loss of Scotland would make it very hard for another lab majority govt for quite a while.
    Well if you lefty Nippy fans have to live under eternal Tory England that still wouldn't match the punishment us Scots will receive at the hands of the Yestapo.
    JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

Well if you lefty Nippy fans have to live under eternal Tory England that still wouldn't match the punishment us Scots will receive at the hands of the Yestapo.
    I’m no fan of Sturgeon. Far from it. 👍
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    edited January 2022
    “Guardian reporting Jennifer Arcuri could yet do for Johnson”

Or is that just wishful thinking?

..prime minister facing multiple allegations. Too many to focus on. His tactic works
    edited January 2022
    Andy_JS said:

MikeL said:

You prefer the donkey that's at the starting gate to the thoroughbred still in a horse box.

Edit - not that there are any thoroughbreds in the Tory party. More than a few inbreds on display in the Cabinet but that's not quite the same thing.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Andy_JS said:

MikeL said:

Puff piece in the Times.

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

It's Lab that would want PR, apparently.

All that SNP Types care about is splitting us of from the sassenachs.
    edited January 2022
    Labour lead slashed to just 5% with Opinium tonight

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1487515919316361218?s=20&t=z35hrhJnc6E2-_OYLPJXJw
    Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

Why would there be a referendum in Scotland.

Labour can just say support us or keep Boris / the Tories in power
  • Heh.

It's Gray not Grey
    More like 50 Shades of black marker pen.
    Graywash at the Gray House.
    edited January 2022
    51% of 2019 Tory voters say Boris should not be removed by a VONC amongst Tory MPs to only 32% who say he should

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1487515952040366088?s=20&t=o1jYkhdQGhuGy5lk-vVgOw
  • HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

PR means the Unions and Corbynites walk out of the Labour party
    'Course they will, HYUFD! 'Course they will!
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

Not sure about this one. Why would Unions care which voting system they're fighting under?
    Why on earth would you question another evidence-free HYUFD-certitude?
    HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1487515919316361218?s=20&t=z35hrhJnc6E2-_OYLPJXJw

Again well done @Marylmilton called it again.
    eek said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

There would be a referendum in Scotland because of a Lab/SNP coaltion.

I would call it a Coalition of Chaos but NPXMP said he'd take the piss if anyone was to use that term.
  • HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

I think you mean the Tories are the biggest winners from FPTP - Boris is fucking PM! :lol:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

Labour and the Conservative should run with a PR in Scotland policy. (As in PR for Westminster elections in Scotland.)
    eek said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

Surely that would suit them more given how unpopular Boris is in Scotland.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,590
    Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    4m
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 39% (-2)
    CON: 34% (+3)
    LDEM: 9% (-)
    GRN: 5% (-1)

via
    @OpiniumResearch

SKS fans please explain
  • Johnson's impressive fightback continues. I actually overestimated the Labour lead by 1%.

Johnson will do well next week as the media and Starmer have overplayed their hand WRT Sue Gray report.
  • HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

The broken, sleazy Tories haven't had a poll lead since December 6th's Redfield & Wilton.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

Labour and the Conservative should run with a PR in Scotland policy. (As in PR for Westminster elections in Scotland.)
    Labour, Con and the Media are weak as fuck on the Nationalist problem.

These people should be getting no platformed and banned from parliament.
  • Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    4m

via
    @OpiniumResearch

SKS fans please explain

SKS still ahead. BJO please explain.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,174

Taz said:

MikeL said:

It's interesting because one of the thoughts de jour of the political journos is to laugh at the idea of the stalking horse as "the rules have changed since Thatcher's day, do keep up" etc etc.

So would be funny if someone does effectively become the horse and lands themselves the Foreign Sec post in a new administration.
    So, in the modern Tory party you can become a stalking horse with no candidacy and no possible basis in fact for a candidacy, just by saying so. Tugendhat has understood his party well, I think.
    edited January 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

As the only way they can get a socialist majority government as they did in 1945 or 1964 or to an extent from 2007 to 2010 and came close to in 2017 is under FPTP.

Under PR they know the centre left would only ever get in power again with the LDs in a Roy Jenkins centrist social democrat type government
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

SNP have been advocates of PR at Westminster for a very long time.
    Taz said:

eek said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

Yep that’s the point, the SNP will keep Labour in power without insisting on anything because anything else is worse.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    The PM has dodged the worst of the partygate scandal this week, thanks to an operation by his closest allies. But tonight he faces claims on another front, that No 10 security protocols were changed because classified papers were not secure in his flat
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/is-boris-johnson-wriggling-free-of-partygate-hn9rlbkrw

Why is this relevant now? It is understood that as Sue Gray's inquiry proceeded into socialising in the No 10 flat that it became clear that several of Carrie Johnson's friends in government have the access pin code for the private flat
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    edited January 2022

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    4m

via
    @OpiniumResearch

SKS fans please explain

I believe the point is to be leading in the polls
    And in the only poll that matters (the election). Welcome back!
    HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

The Conservatives have just beaten Omicron. They would be streets ahead without Johnson.
    edited January 2022

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

Why on earth would you question another evidence-free HYUFD-certitude?
    There's nowt wrong with HYUFD's analysis most of the time. I should have just let that one fly.

HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

The broken, sleazy Tories haven't had a poll lead since December 6th's Redfield & Wilton.
    The momentum is with Boris.

February will be back to poll leads unless he is arrested or resigns
  • HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

The momentum is with Boris.

February will be back to poll leads unless he is arrested or resigns
    Showing your True Blue Tory colours there BJO!
    eek said:

Taz said:

eek said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

Yep that’s the point, the SNP will keep Labour in power without insisting on anything because anything else is worse.
    Sorry, I meant it would suit them more to have a Tory govt than a labour govt. if they really want Indy. Johnson’s unpopularity simply strengthens the emotional aspect of wanting independence?
    edited January 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

I quite agree. The Britnats and the media are an absolute disgrace. But I wouldn't go so far as to ban them.
    edited January 2022
    Britain, 2022: whilst knobhead frantically clings to power and the useless braying fucks that sit behind him every Wednesday allow him to get away with it, it has finally come to this: buy now, pay later credit for buying food:

Families hit by the cost-of-living crisis are being targeted by credit firms offering “buy now, pay later” deals on weekly groceries, pet food and hot drinks.

Shoppers are urged to spread their payments for staple foods and treats to help cope with “these difficult times”. One promotion states: “Regardless of your credit rating, we will offer you a tonne of credit to do your shopping with.”

Mehmet Sezgin, a former board member of MasterCard Europe, and a global retail banking expert, said: “No one should buy perishable items like food on credit. It’s an invitation to indebtedness and bankruptcy.”

One in three buy now, pay later users have missed a payment or made a late one, according to a report published last year by the welfare charity Citizens Advice. The report found consumers using the credit products had also been charged £39m in late fees over one year.

Rachel Beddow, principal policy manager at Citizens Advice, said: “It is like a runaway train. You can shop 24 hours a day and easily lose track of how much you owe, and there’s not enough protection for people who end up slipping into debt.”

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jan/29/buy-now-pay-later-grocery-schemes-are-a-debt-trap-for-struggling-families

One wonders what the Government will do when the inevitable avalanche of penniless single mothers being chased by financiers for defaulting on their Coco Pops starts clogging up the courts? I believe that bankrupt debtors were enslaved under the Roman Empire and sold to recover some of the losses - and Johnson is a classicist.

He'll probably appoint Rees-Mogg as Minister for Enslavement. The new Secretary of State can even set a good example by purchasing the first lot of victims and putting them to work on his estates. Everyone's a winner.
  • HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

As the only way they can get a socialist majority government as they did in 1945 or 1964 or to an extent from 2007 to 2010 and came close to in 2017 is under FPTP.

Under PR they know the centre left would only ever get in power again with the LDs in a Roy Jenkins centrist social democrat type government
    The LDs are "Centre to Centre-left" according to Wiki. Therefore, leaning left.

Brexit alone would mean no LD-Tory coalition for the foreseeable.
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

So?

That's a minor policy matter compared to the fact their raison d'etre is to split this Island across the middle.
    Taz said:

eek said:

Taz said:

eek said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

Sorry, I meant it would suit them more to have a Tory govt than a labour govt. if they really want Indy. Johnson’s unpopularity simply strengthens the emotional aspect of wanting independence?
    I think there is a difference between having a Tory government they can rail at and blame for all Scotland's ills and having to support a Tory government.

The first is excellent news.

The second would see them deserted by all but their most diehard supporters and back down to four seats faster than you can say 'the Advocate General is a twat.'

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    4m

via
    @OpiniumResearch

SKS fans please explain

I believe the point is to be leading in the polls
    So if next weeks Opinium swings as much as this weeks you wont even have that to cling onto. It would be

37%
    37%

You must see SKS leads are nearly over?
    pigeon said:

Britain, 2022: whilst knobhead frantically clings to power and the useless braying fucks that sit behind him every Wednesday allow him to get away with it, it has finally come to this: buy now, pay later credit for buying food:

Families hit by the cost-of-living crisis are being targeted by credit firms offering “buy now, pay later” deals on weekly groceries, pet food and hot drinks.

Shoppers are urged to spread their payments for staple foods and treats to help cope with “these difficult times”. One promotion states: “Regardless of your credit rating, we will offer you a tonne of credit to do your shopping with.”

Mehmet Sezgin, a former board member of MasterCard Europe, and a global retail banking expert, said: “No one should buy perishable items like food on credit. It’s an invitation to indebtedness and bankruptcy.”

One in three buy now, pay later users have missed a payment or made a late one, according to a report published last year by the welfare charity Citizens Advice. The report found consumers using the credit products had also been charged £39m in late fees over one year.

Rachel Beddow, principal policy manager at Citizens Advice, said: “It is like a runaway train. You can shop 24 hours a day and easily lose track of how much you owe, and there’s not enough protection for people who end up slipping into debt.”

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jan/29/buy-now-pay-later-grocery-schemes-are-a-debt-trap-for-struggling-families

One wonders what the Government will do when the inevitable avalanche of penniless single mothers being chased by financiers for defaulting on their Coco Pops starts clogging up the courts? I believe that bankrupt debtors were enslaved under the Roman Empire and sold to recover some of the losses - and Johnson is a classicist.

He'll probably appoint Rees-Mogg is Minister for Enslavement. The new Secretary of State can even set a good example by purchasing the first lot of victims and putting them to work on his estates. Everyone's a winner.

Sounds like a metamorphosis of Wonga, but potentially nastier.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

So?

That's a minor policy matter compared to the fact their raison d'etre is to split this Island across the middle.
    It's what you were whining about: PR.

On the other matter, if a majority of Scots want independence, that's it.
  • JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

So?

You mean like in Ireland?
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

I quite agree. The Britnats and the media are an absolute disgrace. But I wouldn't go so far as to ban them.
    There's only one party with NATIONALIST in it's name.

If it walks like a duck...

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

So?

You mean like in Ireland?
    Indeed, and like the Britnats did. Though they seem to be getting a bit confused at the moment. What with the Irish Sea Border.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

The PM has dodged the worst of the partygate scandal this week, thanks to an operation by his closest allies. But tonight he faces claims on another front, that No 10 security protocols were changed because classified papers were not secure in his flat

Why is this relevant now? It is understood that as Sue Gray's inquiry proceeded into socialising in the No 10 flat that it became clear that several of Carrie Johnson's friends in government have the access pin code for the private flat

I increasingly think the police want to redact partly because various security issues at the centre of government look woefully lax, and they're implicated ; and also because the report might simultaneously reveal their extremely tolerant attitude to any wrongdoing at No.10. Fused together with which somewhere is probably Cressida Dick's personal loyalty to Boris Johnson.

If you take this together with the enormous delay and apparent bafflement at the entire idea of investigating No.10 in the first place, it makes perfect sense. The underlying attitude is one of extreme indulgence, and Sue Gray's report therefore would represent just an annoying interlude before returning to the default, combined attitude ; a clearly undemocratic level of indulgence, and lax security with those are the top ; by redacting the details of both.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    4m

via
    @OpiniumResearch

SKS fans please explain

Given that things couldn't be much worse for the government at the moment, a 5% lead isn't very impressive.

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

The LDs were in coalition with the Tories from 2010 to 2015 pursuing tax cuts and austerity. They are not socialist on any definition, social democrat at most if that given fiscally conservative Orange Bookers in the LDs too.

Some socialist Unions backed Brexit anyway
  • HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

Sleazy but sadly not yet broken. And until they are broken they will not be able to start to repair and rebuild. Johnson and his ilk need to go.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

There isn't, actually.
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

The BNP still exists too.
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

There isn't, actually.
    YAWN

What exact point are you trying to make about the Scottish Nationalist Party?
    ydoethur said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

2019 Election

The BNP still exists too.
    How many MPs do they have?
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

PR push by SNP of Lab?

The LDs were in coalition with the Tories from 2010 to 2015 pursuing tax cuts and austerity. They are not socialist on any definition, social democrat at most if that given fiscally conservative Orange Bookers in the LDs too.

Some socialist Unions backed Brexit anyway
    2010 to 2015 was BEFORE Brexit (something YOU voted against, remember?).

This discussion has been closed.