Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Nadine & Moggsy – the two Johnson uber-loyalists – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    THE OBSERVER: Tories accused of ‘levelling up’ stunt to save ⁦@BorisJohnson⁩ ‘s job #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1487536294460854276/photo/1
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

No point. Why would anyone vote for a slate of synthetic pro-independence candidates (with a leader in London who daren't let Scotland go) when they can keep on voting for real ones?

The price of the, rather likely, Lab/SNP coalition will enevitably be an #indyref2

I hope Boris goes soon and the new leader can write a rather simple letter post the inevitable Section 30 request.
    Indyref2 for Scotland and a push for PR if they win the referendum.
    PR push by SNP of Lab?

If SNP Types win their indyref2 to all bets are off including the voting system.
    PR means the Unions and Corbynites walk out of the Labour party and start their own party and there is never a Labour majority government again.

That is also the price. ReformUK would win MPs too and it ends the 2 party system
    Why would the SNP want PR when they are massive winners from FPTP?

2019 Election

Con 44% of vote, 56% of seats
    Lab 32% of vote, 31% of seats
    SNP 4% of vote, 7% of seats
    LD 12% of vote, 2% of seats
    Labour and the Conservative should run with a PR in Scotland policy. (As in PR for Westminster elections in Scotland.)
    Labour, Con and the Media are weak as fuck on the Nationalist problem.

These people should be getting no platformed and banned from parliament.
    I quite agree. The Britnats and the media are an absolute disgrace. But I wouldn't go so far as to ban them.
    There's only one party with NATIONALIST in it's name.

If it walks like a duck...
    Fuck me, do you really not know how wrong that is?

I thought you lived in Scotland?
    I live in Aberdeen enjoying the fine weather at the moment.
    But you don't know what SNP stands for...
    Of course I do.

Boris say's it every week in response to Blackford.

Scottish Nationalist Party.
    Scottish National Party
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_National_Party

Scottish National Party
    Gordon Lamb House
    3 Jackson's Entry
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    EH8 8PJ
    https://www.snp.org/contact/
    Well thanks for clearing that up Sunil.

I honestly I had no idea.

At least we can all agree their ideology is NATIONALIST.
    No, we can't. Nationalists are right wingers like you, HYUFD, etc. . I'm a centrist independist. I don't go out waving the Saltire and goiung on and on and on about the glorious nation and the Royal Family.
    Ha ha ha - Enjoy your kool aid NATIONALIST.
    The remarkable thing about the SNP is, though there are undoubtedly some unsavoury types on their midst, they have avoided the Corbyn/Momentum problem very well.

We have these huge marches in Edinburgh full of nutters with hundreds of saltires, 'burn the Tories' (read English), etc, but no SNP MSPs anywhere near them. Smart.
    It speaks well for the Scottish education system that they can spell 'burn.' There is actually graffiti on the A38 near Gloucester where somebody got that wrong and wrote 'bun the Tories.'

That was in 2017.* If only s/he had waited five years...

*It's still there albeit rather faded now. Not sure whether nobody can be bothered to remove it or the police just like seeing it as they drive past en route to their HQ at Waterwells.
    I think it was on the M6, not far north of Birmingham, where someone had done a "lesson on how not to be a middle lane hog" over the course of at least half a dozen bridges. It might have been the M5 though, I forget. But it was great.

Understandable to be incredible annoyed at middle lane hogs, but the follow through was incredible.
    There are three bridges on the M6 between Preston and Lancaster which pile increasingly heated abuse on middle lane hogs. "What exactly do you think the left lane is for?" "Why are you such a bad driver?" "FUCKING KEEP LEFT YOU PRICK!" - or something to that effect.
    Lots of people get annoyed at middle lane hogs. Almost none manage to nurse that anger long enough to take several hours out of their night, and St considerable risk and inconvenience and cost to themselves, deface several blameless Lancastrian bridges. I dislike graffiti, bit I can't help admire the determination.
  • Guardian reporting Jennifer Arcuri could yet do for Johnson.

Or is that just wishful thinking?

It looks to be a slow burner. If Watergate has taught us anything, it is that even terminal scandals can take a long time to reach their denouement.
    If the Guardian are back to this it does looks If they have run out of steam on partygate
    🔴 Boris Johnson's chief of staff Dan Rosenfield spent the day at a cricket match three days before the fall of Kabul, raising further questions about Number 10's role in the operation to rescue UK and Afghan nationals https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/29/boris-johnsons-senior-aide-watched-cricket-kabul-fell/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1643491397-2
  • Scott_xP said:

🔴 Boris Johnson's chief of staff Dan Rosenfield spent the day at a cricket match three days before the fall of Kabul, raising further questions about Number 10's role in the operation to rescue UK and Afghan nationals https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/29/boris-johnsons-senior-aide-watched-cricket-kabul-fell/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1643491397-2

More pretty recent leaks. I suspect the hand of Dom again, co-ordinating with disgruntled insiders.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Scott_xP said:

Given the standard of our cricket, can't even have been a respite from the grim collapse unfolding in front of him.
  • 28 off the over....
  • Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Guardian reporting Jennifer Arcuri could yet do for Johnson.

The Guardian fishing for more fish from the barrel isn't news.

Re header: A good thing about Boris is that he is behind his ministers. In my view he's generally right in that. Dorries isn't doing anything so awful, and nor is JRM - in both cases they're an uncomfortable fit, but I'm fairly sure that they're also doing decent jobs. Priti Patel is the most obvious example - despite the overwhelmingly negative press she seems to be doing not so badly.
    What is it that our esteemed Home Secretary is "doing not so badly" at? Stopping migrants crossing the channel? A whole six per cent of crimes solved? Record sex offences? Or did you mean directing the Met to derail Sue Gray? ETA or have I been wooshed?
    All Home Secretaries are unpopular. (I can only say what I think, and they may be daft thoughts.)
    I'm not sure Labour breaking up the Home Office and spinning off the Ministry of Justice hasn't rendered impossible any sort of joined-up policy on crime.
  • Scott_xP said:

More pretty recent leaks. I suspect the hand of Dom again, co-ordinating with disgruntled insiders.
    More likely conservative mps want Rosenfield out of no 10

28 off the over....

You just had to open your mouth, didn't you?
  • ydoethur said:

28 off the over....

You just had to open your mouth, didn't you?
    ;-)
  • Why are sending in Billings....he is a nudger. Should be Salt.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited January 2022

Scott_xP said:

More likely conservative mps want Rosenfield out of no 10
    There are a small handful of people associated with Cummings still working around the place, if I remember the reports correctly from around a year or so back, just after he'd left and taken a few people with him. They would have probably have more access to this sort of thing than Tory MP's, and it would equally be logical for them to want to get some of the key Boris people out if they're still behind it, too.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

It looks to be a slow burner. If Watergate has taught us anything, it is that even terminal scandals can take a long time to reach their denouement.
    If the Guardian are back to this it does looks If they have run out of steam on partygate
    Let's hope so, eh?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

While the U.K. official figures and ⁦@BBCNews⁩ say cases in U.K. have plateaued- the reality is that they have been increasing for the last two weeks based on the Zoe data . Now at 176000 cases per day - thanks for logging ! https://t.co/v21U5Hr2D9

https://twitter.com/timspector/status/1487414741274402817?t=4M4MD9EUqKBGob8DTpEweQ&s=19

BA.2 doing the grand tour I expect.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    Are TalkSport broadcasting the cricket on radio? Doesn't seem to be on BBC.
  • Andy_JS said:

On BT sport
    Typical. Six, six, six, six, six, six and out.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    I think that header of OGH's is not totally accurate. If we are talking user-loyalists, surely our very own HYFUD deserved at least a hat-tip?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

That's absolutely fine in T20 at this stage of the innings.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited January 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Yeah, the WICB sold it to TalkSport, unfortunately.
    edited January 2022

ydoethur said:

That's absolutely fine in T20 at this stage of the innings.
    It was a riff on the old 'six and out' criticism, Dr!

Holder now rubbing Salt in the wound.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited January 2022

Why are sending in Billings....he is a nudger. Should be Salt.

It is now was then
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

The Guardian fishing for more fish from the barrel isn't news.

Re header: A good thing about Boris is that he is behind his ministers. In my view he's generally right in that. Dorries isn't doing anything so awful, and nor is JRM - in both cases they're an uncomfortable fit, but I'm fairly sure that they're also doing decent jobs. Priti Patel is the most obvious example - despite the overwhelmingly negative press she seems to be doing not so badly.
    What is it that our esteemed Home Secretary is "doing not so badly" at? Stopping migrants crossing the channel? A whole six per cent of crimes solved? Record sex offences? Or did you mean directing the Met to derail Sue Gray? ETA or have I been wooshed?
    All Home Secretaries are unpopular. (I can only say what I think, and they may be daft thoughts.)
    I'm not sure Labour breaking up the Home Office and spinning off the Ministry of Justice hasn't rendered impossible any sort of joined-up policy on crime.
    The great ministries are in a mess - keeping a good minister in place for a long period will help. I've no idea whether Boris' choices are good or bad really, but the theme of not chopping and changing so much is good.

Sunak and Patel both seem good from that perspective. I'm not so sure about Truss, but I think that's mainly because she's one of those people that rather grates on me - and that's my fault not hers.
    edited January 2022

It is now
    Too late in the Innings. I honestly don't think Vince should be near T20 team. Salt should open or #3. He has the ability like Roy to take the game away from a team in 5-6 overs at the start of an innings.

It is now
    That comment did not age well.
  • Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Labour lead slashed to just 5% with Opinium tonight

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1487515919316361218?s=20&t=z35hrhJnc6E2-_OYLPJXJw

The broken, sleazy Tories haven't had a poll lead since December 6th's Redfield & Wilton.
    The momentum is with Boris.

February will be back to poll leads unless he is arrested or resigns
    You're in Momentum and you're with Boris?
    I have never been in Momentum. I have never voted for Boris

You are as obsessed like the rest of the Centrists with the past. and factional battles

Is it because you are completely incapable of coming up with any other reason why SKS is going backward faster than an Italian tank?
    Bit unfair. The Italians had to fight in some pretty crap tanks.

In fact, to the degree that some of them turned the things round and went backwards facing the enemy, so that the engine at least might catch some of the OQF 2-pounder solid shot coming their way.
    And yet many of the British tank crews in 1940 and 41 fought in those exact same Italian tanks. There was a great shortage of tanks in the Western Desert during Operation Compass when the Allies pushed back the Italians so that a number of regiments armed themselves with Italian tanks that had been captured in the early part of the campaign. Indeed the first allied tanks into Tobruk in January 41 were Italian crewed by Australians.

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1487515919316361218?s=20&t=z35hrhJnc6E2-_OYLPJXJw

The broken, sleazy Tories haven't had a poll lead since December 6th's Redfield & Wilton.

You are as obsessed like the rest of the Centrists with the past. and factional battles

Is it because you are completely incapable of coming up with any other reason why SKS is going backward faster than an Italian tank?

In fact, to the degree that some of them turned the things round and went backwards facing the enemy, so that the engine at least might catch some of the OQF 2-pounder solid shot coming their way.
    And yet many of the British tank crews in 1940 and 41 fought in those exact same Italian tanks. There was a great shortage of tanks in the Western Desert during Operation Compass when the Allies pushed back the Italians so that a number of regiments armed themselves with Italian tanks that had been captured in the early part of the campaign. Indeed the first allied tanks into Tobruk in January 41 were Italian crewed by Australians.
    My grandfather had one. He said it was rubbish.
    About Billings being a nudger and a nurdler...
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

He is. That last 6 was a good example, he can only just get it over the boundary, he doesn't have much room for error if he tries to go big, compared to a Livingstone or Salt.

ydoethur said:

He is. That last 6 was a good example, he can only just get it over the boundary.
    :lol:
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He is. That last 6 was a good example, he can only just get it over the boundary.
    Billings strike rate in T20, 120.... Livingstone 160, Salt over 150.

I once hit Mushaq Ahmed for a 6, I was no KP.
    Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

Yeah, the WICB sold it to TalkSport, unfortunately.
    Thanks.

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

The Italians outfought the British in 'fair fights' in Ethiopia.
    SUNDAY TELEGRAPH: PM’s aide watched cricket as Kabul fell #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1487542906609098759/photo/1

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

As we're in the 'once' area and cricket. Without looking it up - do you know a famous first class cricketer who's only first class wicket was WG Grace?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    IshmaelZ Posts: 12,068
    11:31AM
    Mexicanpete said:
    » show previous quotes
    Early Young stuff from the early 70s is particularly good, the Harvest Album etc

After the Goldrush is a great song, and of course he p***** off Lynard Skynard with "Southern Man" which resulted in "Sweet Home Alabama" where "old Neil", and "Mr Young" get name checked.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd, and he performed SHA at their funeral

Talking of Lynyrd Skynyrd, I love that they named their band after one of their high school teachers who was a basketball coach:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Skinner
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:

Compare Dom complaint about Rosenfield going to see James bond film instead of concentrating on petrol crisis.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    JBriskin3 said:

Vaguely on topic, I started writing a thread entitled 'Are you mad for Nad?'

It was about whether Nadine Dorries might be the Tory leader and/or PM.

I couldn't finish it because I was that upset that this is what my party has come to.

Do we have a name for your Type yet? The anti-Bozo rejoiners?

EDIT: The "anti-Bozo rejoiners" isn't my suggestion of the name - it's just the best way to describe you lot at the moment. We need a catchy name.
    Tories Who Are Not Complete Fucking Idiots ?
  • Scott_xP said:

Rosenfield was appointed a couple of months after Cummings had already left. There was no overlap. However, there does seem to be an anti-Rosenfield faction, given he is often blamed for parties that took place before he joined Number 10.
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

As we're in the 'once' area and cricket. Without looking it up - do you know a famous first class cricketer who's only first class wicket was WG Grace?
    I remember Marcus Trescothick's only test wicket was Inzamam-ul-Haq.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I didn't know that. This is a very famous man though.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

I voted for Nandy. However, I want us to succeed under the leader we democratically elected.
    So did I

The democratically elected leader lied that he was the man to unite the Party He has spent his whole 2 years as leader trying to destroy half of it.

I want Labour to lose as it doesnt represent a single thing the half of the Party SKS has spent 2 years trying to destroy, stand for.

If Burnham was leader I would be back in like a shot.

Instead we have a man with no charisma no radical policies.and some policies way to the right of the Tories under Johnson
    I don't think even Burnham would put up with this non stop whining. I know Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned but nobody knew it could be this bad.....
    Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak confirm National Insurance will rise in April, despite pressure to scrap the increase https://bbc.in/3g93zBw
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I cheated and looked it up.

I will admit, I had no idea he'd even played first class cricket. Apparently he played ten first class matches but mostly as a batsman. At minor county level 7/61 suggests he could bowl on his day.
  • BBC News - National Insurance: Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak confirm rise from April
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60185741
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ah, I've heard this before. Once you realise he's not best known for his cricket, it's elementary to work out.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I will admit, I had no idea he'd even played first class cricket. Apparently he played ten first class matches but mostly as a batsman. At minor county level 7/61 suggests he could bowl on his day.
    For others

"He could hit hard and bowl slows with a puzzling flight. For MCC v Cambridgeshire at Lord's, in 1899, he took seven wickets for 61 runs, and on the same ground two years later carried out his bat for 32 against Leicestershire"

Just the one first class wicket thoiugh, and he's not famous for cricket.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Applicant said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ah, I've heard this before. Once you realise he's not best known for his cricket, it's elementary to work out.
    So not Harry Paget Flashman VC then?
  • Applicant said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good answer....
    I see Moeen is still involved in plenty of six hitting.
    Applicant said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No shit...?
  • ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It wasn't. It was Imran Nazir.

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Bollocks, so it was. He caught Inzy and that's where I've got confused. That ruins that anecdote.

I am confident that Michael Vaughan once bowled Sachin Tendulkar through the gate, but I don't think that was his only Test wicket.
    edited January 2022
    Sunak confirming NI rise in joint statement with Boris, has he just taped himself to a ticking time bomb, that only a matter of time before it finally goes off?

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I didn't know that either :)

I quite like that @ydoethur said ' I remember' and only got it half right (it was his only test wicket according to cricinfo)

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I didn't know that either :)

I quite like that @ydoethur said ' I remember' and only got it half right (it was his only test wicket according to cricinfo)

Clearly when I quit teaching being a cricket statistician is not the right career for me!
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: ⁦@RishiSunak⁩ puts finishing touches to leadership bid #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1487549245582364672/photo/1
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Bollocks, so it was. He caught Inzy and that's where I've got confused. That ruins that anecdote.

I am confident that Michael Vaughan once bowled Sachin Tendulkar through the gate, but I don't think that was his only Test wicket.
    If I remember rightly, Trescothick was very unlucky not to have Inzy given out LBW early in his innings. He went on to score 142. We still won, though.

Sunak confirming NI rise in joint statement with Boris, has he just taped himself to a ticking time bomb, that only a matter of time before it finally goes off?

I think he plans to take over from BoZo and ditch the raise
    #TomBrady tells Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM he hasn't decided on retirement, despite ESPN report https://twitter.com/ZoraSuleman/status/1487549136777973764/photo/1
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Andy_JS said:

"Ai Weiwei: ‘It’s obvious Covid is not a natural disease, it’s something that leaked out’

The most famous living artist on China's ‘ice cold, cruel’ response to the pandemic – and why the Olympics is ‘just a business event’"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/art/artists/ai-weiwei-obvious-covid-not-natural-disease-something-leaked/

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/ai-weiwei-covid-19-origin-china-b2003381.html

Isn't the most likely source a natural disease that also leaked out the lab?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Applicant said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No shit...?
    When you've eliminated the impossible...
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No shit...?
    When you've eliminated the impossible...
    Is that what Sunak's planning? :hushed:
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

I think he plans to take over from BoZo and ditch the raise
    Would a better tactic to play to the base to resign now saying the right thing to do is to ditch it / postpone it and Boris won't agree to it.
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

"He could hit hard and bowl slows with a puzzling flight. For MCC v Cambridgeshire at Lord's, in 1899, he took seven wickets for 61 runs, and on the same ground two years later carried out his bat for 32 against Leicestershire"

So the answer to this mini-quiz is 'Sir Arthur Conan Doyle'.

Goodnight PB
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    edited January 2022
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

Arthur Balfour? Mind, he certainly went in for the golf.

Edit: only 50% correct ...
  • Sunak confirming NI rise in joint statement with Boris, has he just taped himself to a ticking time bomb, that only a matter of time before it finally goes off?

If there's fiscal pain to be had, now really is the last opportunity to inflict it. Postpone a year (if that's even possible at this stage), and the government is getting into the pre-runup to the next election.

This way, there's an opportunity to return some of the money in May 2024 and look all bountiful.

As for the wider politics- Rishi came in as Boris's man. For all that was understandable, that was a silly thing for Rishi to do, but it's a bit late to have regrets now.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Indeed, yes. In that series against India he took four wickets, and then later two more wickets against South Africa. In the five matches when Vaughan took a wicket, four were drawn, one was an England victory, and Vaughan also scored 645 runs at an average of 80.6
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

The only PM to play first class cricket was Alec Douglas Home, who wasn't much better as a cricketer than as a PM.

Here's a more obscure one though. Who was the only England cricket captain to play a lead role opposite Greta Garbo?
    edited January 2022
    "Sadiq Khan poll blow: London Mayor’s approval rating firmly negative for first time
    Khan’s approval rating has fallen into negative territory for the first time since he became mayor

A survey by YouGov shows that 48 per cent of adults in the capital say Mr Khan is doing badly with more than a quarter of those surveyed saying he was doing very badly. By contrast only 38 per cent say he is doing well - a fall of seven percentage points since the last time YouGov conducted a survey on the mayor’s performance in March 2021. The findings give him a net approval rating of minus ten, the first time he has gone so clearly into negative territory, according to YouGov’s tracker."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sadiq-khan-approval-rating-negative-yougov-london-b979277.html
  • Omnium said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

So the answer to this mini-quiz is 'Sir Arthur Conan Doyle'.

Goodnight PB
    Also a goalkeeper for Portsmouth FC before they turned professional.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,256
    Anyone who thinks that Labour are desperate for PR, and that they want it so badly they'd give the SNP indyref 2 for them supporting it, doesn't have a clue about the Labour Party.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Anyone who thinks that Labour are desperate for PR, and that they want it so badly they'd give the SNP indyref 2 for them supporting it, doesn't have a clue about the Labour Party.

The SNP support it anyway.
    💥Column: Tory donors told - keep funding party, if not Boris https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1487552584336424960/photo/1

Having the SNP demand IndyRef 2, in return for PR, would be ideal for both parties.

It would give the Labour Party an excuse to turn them down, to the relief of both, who benefit from FPTP massively.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,256
    edited January 2022

Having the SNP demand IndyRef 2, in return for PR, would be ideal for both parties.

It would give the Labour Party an excuse to turn them down, to the relief of both, who benefit from FPTP massively.
    PR isn't *official* Labour policy anyway. It got voted down by the unions at party conference, and there's never been any indication Starmer has supported it as a policy.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,647
    Andy_JS said:

Significant.

"Sadiq Khan poll blow: London Mayor’s approval rating firmly negative for first time
    Khan’s approval rating has fallen into negative territory for the first time since he became mayor"

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sadiq-khan-approval-rating-negative-yougov-london-b979277.html

I expect if his numbers go really negative Sadiq Khan won't risk a third term. The alternative is to be elected as a Labour MP (I'm sure they can find him a London seat) in May 2024. IF the Conservatives get another five years, Khan will have time to become a senior figure for the 2029 election (by which time he'll only be 59). If Labour gets into Government in 2024, I expect he would soon get into a Ministerial role.

The other side to this question is twofold - first, IF Khan decides not to run for a third term, who would be the Labour candidate and second, who is going to be the Conservative candidate in 2024? Shaun Bailey again? He's only a year younger than Khan but obviously that doesn't put him out of the running in 2024 or 2028 despite his recent contretemps which cost him the Chair of the London Assembly Police & Crime Committee.

We know it's going to be a hard election for any Conservative to win but I suspect it would be easier against an unpopular Sadiq Khan than against a new Labour candidate.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    edited January 2022
    Labour will pledge to cancel student loans and reel back in 4%+ from the greens and non political. Watch this space.

Edit just before the election obviously
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576

Labour will pledge to cancel student loans and reel back in 4%+ from the greens and non political. Watch this space.

Quite the regressive policy. Dealing with the outrageous interest rates, however…
    edited January 2022

They had 13 years to bring it in, and might have been able to stay in power in 2010 if they had. At that election the Tories won 47% of seats with 36% of the vote.

I can see that happening. It would make the election the Tory's Income Tax cut vs Labour's Abolition of Student Loans.

The young people would have to get out there and vote, otherwise you'd suspect the income tax cut would win it.

(Ed: The national debt is 96% of GDP)
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    edited January 2022
    Don't like inflation? Sack the interest-raising central bankers and claim it is high interest rates that are causing inflation.

Don't like that the inflation statistics have gone the wrong direction since your fix? Sack the head of the statistics office.

Erdogan has all the answers.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2022/1/29/erdogan-sacks-statistics-chief-after-record-inflation
    RobD said:

Quite the regressive policy. Dealing with the outrageous interest rates, however…
    If you cut the interest rates on student loans, then it just means more higher-earning graduates get to escape from the graduate tax earlier - so that's clearly more regressive than cancelling them for everyone.
  • Pooran just hit Livingstone for a 111m six, then out next ball!
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    Andy_JS said:

Khan’s approval rating has fallen into negative territory for the first time since he became mayor

A survey by YouGov shows that 48 per cent of adults in the capital say Mr Khan is doing badly with more than a quarter of those surveyed saying he was doing very badly. By contrast only 38 per cent say he is doing well - a fall of seven percentage points since the last time YouGov conducted a survey on the mayor’s performance in March 2021. The findings give him a net approval rating of minus ten, the first time he has gone so clearly into negative territory, according to YouGov’s tracker."

Time for the Conservatives to find another Boris-like figure to take him on?
  • The senior civil servant investigating Partygate has taken evidence about a 'Winner Takes It All' Abba party to mark the resignation of Dominic Cummings, The Mail on Sunday has been told.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10455725/Carrie-Johnsons-friends-held-Downing-St-Winner-Takes-Abba-party-day-Cummings-quit.html
  • Are England going to lose this T20.....
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

I voted for Nandy. However, I want us to succeed under the leader we democratically elected.
    So did I

The democratically elected leader lied that he was the man to unite the Party He has spent his whole 2 years as leader trying to destroy half of it.

I want Labour to lose as it doesnt represent a single thing the half of the Party SKS has spent 2 years trying to destroy, stand for.

Instead we have a man with no charisma no radical policies.and some policies way to the right of the Tories under Johnson
    I don't think even Burnham would put up with this non stop whining. I know Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned but nobody knew it could be this bad.....
    Two time loser Burnham is rubbish - a pygmy compared to the incumbent LAB leader
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    I think I remember the Rest Is History podcast mentioning the Arthur Conan Doyle played county cricket.

He wrote a poem about the W G Grace dismissal.

I know Tory MPs said they wanted to wait for the Gray report but how about switching to the guilty until proven innocent attitude? Point out that the one thing that would save Johnson was the Gray report and now that's been kicked into the long grass he'll have to go as we can't carry on with this absurd paralysis. They must have a pretty good idea now of what went on and it's hard to believe the public will change their minds.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

That’s elementary
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    edited January 2022

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Labour 39%
    Conservatives 34%
    LDs 9%

So did I

Two time loser Burnham is rubbish - a pygmy compared to the incumbent LAB leader
    I would imagine however a Burnham led Labour would have a rather bigger lead than the just 5% lead Starmer Labour has tonight over the Tories with Opinium.

Burnham has an appeal in Leave voting areas and the redwall in the North and Midlands that Starmer never will
    Andy_JS said:

They had 13 years to bring it in, and might have been able to stay in power in 2010 if they had. At that election the Tories won 47% of seats with 36% of the vote.
    Clegg said he would go with the largest party in 2010, so still would have gone with Cameron's Tories under PR
  • Foxy said:

Leon said:

My God, Munich the Netflix movie is bad. Like, monumentally bad

Inert acting, laborious screenplay, terrible “plot”, no drama, insane non-existent twists, nice costumes, no wit, no fun, fucking hell

I get that the original material is possibly a bit shit. But jeez. The theme is so fertile?

This is what happens when a company like Netflix has all the money and zero ideas

Jeremy Irons is good. He looks and sounds like Chamberlain. But, he's basically a walk-on part. The Hitler looks and sounds nothing like Hitler. And what I thought the film was trying to achieve wasn't really what it was about.

It's basically about two university friends, one German and one English, and how they get caught up in 1930s politics - which is a slow and confused story that jumps around - with no real payoff. German guy: he's pro, and then he becomes anti, because he realises the Nazis really mean business with the Jews, and then we belatedly find out his girlfriend was one all along? Eh? The drama of the conference and the high politics of the situation is only flirted with, and you're left never really understanding why Hitler wanted to deal or why.

That said it at least shows another side to Chamberlain towards the end, which is something.
    Yes, I thought the same. The plot of the university friends was both plodding and implausible. Irons was very good indeed. Hitler was not. None of the evil charisma of the man in his prime.

There is a good film to be made one day over the drift to war, and the futile efforts to stop it, but this isn't it.
    The actor who played AH also played Goebbels in Downfall which worked, but he just didn’t have it for this part. It’s tricky playing these massive historical figures that everyone has an idea of, but of course Ganz managed it magnificently.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,284
    For those with anti-woke tendencies, or just for those who like a good polemic, an absolute banger of a book review in The Times today.

Sexual Revolution by Laurie Penny review — feminism with the women cut out

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a63ee364-7ed9-11ec-8532-85a58274df7c?shareToken=b878966266ebf5653d4df94e9b781877
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

For others

The only PM to play first class cricket was Alec Douglas Home, who wasn't much better as a cricketer than as a PM.

Here's a more obscure one though. Who was the only England cricket captain to play a lead role opposite Greta Garbo?
    Home was an OK PM and he ran Wilson unexpectedly close in 1964, Wilson only got a majority of 4
    I reckon England might just edge this one.
    edited January 2022
    carnforth said:

For those with anti-woke tendencies, or just for those who like a good polemic, an absolute banger of a book review in The Times today.

Sexual Revolution by Laurie Penny review — feminism with the women cut out

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a63ee364-7ed9-11ec-8532-85a58274df7c?shareToken=b878966266ebf5653d4df94e9b781877

“Fascism” is nothing but a placeholder here for “things Laurie Penny thinks are bad” and the concept of “feminism” is similarly abused. The traditional understanding of it as a movement for women’s rights is, alas, tainted by the fact that only very embarrassing and uncool people would use the word “woman” in its ordinary sense these days. (In Penny’s moral universe, one of the worst criticisms you can make of something is that it’s “embarrassing”.

£20 for this crap...not very sticking to the man person.
This discussion has been closed.