Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters backing Sunak are ignoring that there isn’t a vacancy – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Polruan said:

IshmaelZ said:

I am officially declaring Boris Johnson will soon be an ex Prime Minister.

I have officially stuck another hundred notes on gone by end Q1

I expect to be bitterly disappointed with myself for not making it a k
    I think he goes Q2.

Say he quits week beginning January 31st.

It's going to take at least a fortnight (probably three weeks) to run the MP section of the contest which takes us into mid/late February.

Another month/six weeks for we Tory members to vote, takes us into April.

Boris Johnson formally quits as PM/Leader in Q2.
    Are you confident he will quit as PM even if the conservatives appoint a new leader?
    Yes, he can be ousted by 650 MPs if he would prefer.
    Feb 6th might be a good day for cheerful patriots to defend positivity in Westminster? Shame they keep passing all those laws to stop them gathering.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,271

Polruan said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he goes Q2.

It's going to take at least a fortnight (probably three weeks) to run the MP section of the contest which takes us into mid/late February.

Are you confident he will quit as PM even if the conservatives appoint a new leader?
    Yes, he can be ousted by 650 MPs if he would prefer.
    The Queen retains the right to dismiss him anyway. Indeed, she could dismiss the whole bloody lot of them.

And who would blame her after that funeral and those parties.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,795

IshmaelZ said:

Polruan said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he goes Q2.

Well, new leader will pop round to Queenie and say he commands a majority I assume

God forfend London Bridge, this is no time for a novice
    Environmentalist King Charles III will appoint Caroline Lucas as the new PM in those circumstances.
    Slightly weirdly he really could have your head chopped off. I've always liked Charles.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he goes Q2.

I think in the past May and Cameron both quit as Party leader immediately, triggering a Party leadership contest.

But they remained PM until new Party leader elected.

Indeed, I remember at Cameron's last PMQs, May was at that point leader of the Con Party. But Cameron was still PM for a few more hours.

So the betting issue is are you betting on Party leader exit date or PM exit date?
    This the normal way of doing things.

But for a man-child, wanna be king of the world tantrum merchant like Johnson? Who knows.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,624
    edited January 2022
    Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Brexit is done visible from space...

Queues of lorries backed up waiting to be processed at the Port of Dover are now so long the huge tailbacks can be seen from space on Google Maps satellite images
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/dover-lorry-queues-sparked-by-brexit-delays-so-long-they-can-be-seen-from-space/

While Germany aligns with Russia against the EU Baltic states

How about providing your insight into this divisive crisis now engulfing the EU
    Whats that got to do with the queue at Dover like
    @Scott_xP posts anti brexit tweets while remaining silent on the crisis engulfing his beloved EU
    This anti-EU goading isn't really informative of what is actually happening, so I wonder what you're up to.

Apart from, you know, unwittingly reinforcing Putin's talking points.
    Try selling that to the Baltic states and Ukraine and what is actually happening
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise your goading of Scott was preserving the fucking freedom of the good people of Vilnius. Well done, we should probably get a medal pinned to your jacket ffs.
    I have been to the Baltic States and Russia terrifies them

The EU should be standing together against this threat but it is clear Germany is not and even preventing NATO aircraft to 9v4rly their airspace

It seems those who are so full of the EU cannot accept criticism in what is a very serious and developing crisis
    I'm not at all convinced that the EU should get involved. It wasn't formed as a military force, despite Macron's wishes, and as TSE states, that's what NATO is for. So I would suggest we dismiss that notion and stop bringing in a separate 'bash the EU' agenda. Leave the EU out of it.

The real question is whether NATO should be standing up to an invasion. Many will think they should. I'm not so sure. We never should have got involved in Afghanistan and arguably should have kept out Iraq. We may gnash our teeth if China invades Taiwan but I doubt we'll throw troops into a conflict there either.

It's all very sad for Ukraine but I think we're best keeping out of this.
    But the EU wants to have a military force.

And there were attempts to create a European Defence Community in parallel with the European Economic Community in the early 1950s. Ironically they were voted down when the French Parliament refused to ratify the Treaty - The Treaty of Paris.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_establishing_the_European_Defence_Community

And Mons. Macron is having another run down the track now.

What I expect could happen now may be a 2 speed NATO, which would not be good. Or a supplementary agreement for Scandinavia, the Eastern Countries, and some Western Europe (UK, NL) and some Southern Europe. I don't know enough about Balkan countries to call it.

And cooperative arms industries along those lines, as we may be seeing with next generation fighter planes.

Something like that would not leave the EU unchanged.

But unlike @kinabalu above I think that Brexit may exert a force to bring the EU into a more realistic view of itself, which was one of my reasons for voting yes.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,795
    Big G - what has Sunak ever done that makes him a plausible leader?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    jonny83 said:

OT

Packers-49ers tonight, not sure I am ready for another soul destroying playoff loss...

This mandatory vaccination for NHS staff is about to really blow up. Already seeing signs of staff panicking or getting extremely fired up about it. My manager has warned us that the next 3-4 weeks is going to be very difficult at work with the 3rd Feb deadline for 1st doses. Emotions will be running high.

Do you have a percentage for how many will refuse?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    moonshine said:
    The Times seems not to be on Mr Johnson's side

Seeing what it has disgorged just this afternoon dare we hope it is saving a real goody for the Sunday T?
  • Options
    Who could have predicted a Prime Minister who compared Muslim women wearing the burqa to “letterboxes” and “bank robbers” would appoint Islamophobes to his government?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,260
    edited January 2022
    When I suggested the "letter boxes" and "bank robbers" commentary was Islamaphobic, I was shouted down because I was too stupid to understand hilarious satire.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

He is professional and honest, he was the architect of furlough, and is the complete opposite to Boris

Furthermore he seems to worry the opposition and is well liked by the public
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,453
    IshmaelZ said:

I’m now officially calling it the other way.

Despite what has been thrown at him, The Tory Press still solidly behind Boris, not one resignation from any of the 150 MPs working in government, and no VONC yet because rebels don’t have winning numbers, it can’t be won. This storm is blowing over already now - Nor does bad set mid term locals remove him, on the basis they are always meaningless for news agenda, 24hrs and done.

At what point do you accept we have passed peak danger for Boris in this term, and the Boris recovery is underway? Report comes out this week and by next Saturday still no Vonc? Is that fair, you would admit defeat then?

It was right to have tried, Boris is a lazy oaf with no attention or grasp of detail, and inane broad brush economic policys that aren’t really Conservative at all.
    Phoney war.

What came next?
    Yes I agree Z - I think phoney is apt word for it. There is a great line in Man for all seasons, a fake argument is no argument at all.

The partygate attack on Johnson hides the truth that he hasn’t been under any pressure at all on delivery - Brexit done, covid done, economy bouncing back. Getting on with levelling up.

To paraphrase, fake pressure is no pressure at all, can blow over.
  • Options
    MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

Packers-49ers tonight, not sure I am ready for another soul destroying playoff loss...

This mandatory vaccination for NHS staff is about to really blow up. Already seeing signs of staff panicking or getting extremely fired up about it. My manager has warned us that the next 3-4 weeks is going to be very difficult at work with the 3rd Feb deadline for 1st doses. Emotions will be running high.

Mail says 6% of staff have refused to be vaxxed.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Queues of lorries backed up waiting to be processed at the Port of Dover are now so long the huge tailbacks can be seen from space on Google Maps satellite images
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/dover-lorry-queues-sparked-by-brexit-delays-so-long-they-can-be-seen-from-space/

@Scott_xP posts anti brexit tweets while remaining silent on the crisis engulfing his beloved EU
    This anti-EU goading isn't really informative of what is actually happening, so I wonder what you're up to.

Try selling that to the Baltic states and Ukraine and what is actually happening
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise your goading of Scott was preserving the fucking freedom of the good people of Vilnius. Well done, we should probably get a medal pinned to your jacket ffs.

The EU should be standing together against this threat but it is clear Germany is not and even preventing NATO aircraft to 9v4rly their airspace

It seems those who are so full of the EU cannot accept criticism in what is a very serious and developing crisis
    I'm not at all convinced that the EU should get involved. It wasn't formed as a military force, despite Macron's wishes, and as TSE states, that's what NATO is for. So I would suggest we dismiss that notion and stop bringing in a separate 'bash the EU' agenda. Leave the EU out of it.

The real question is whether NATO should be standing up to an invasion. Many will think they should. I'm not so sure. We never should have got involved in Afghanistan and arguably should have kept out Iraq. We may gnash our teeth if China invades Taiwan but I doubt we'll throw troops into a conflict there either.

You cannot leave the EU out when the Baltic EU member states feel threatened
    Ukraine isn't an EU member state

It's a bit strange that someone anti-EU, pro Britain leaving the EU, is advocating that the EU pitch up to a battle despite having no military force

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

where is Germany in all this
    Germany has a rather 'colourful' military history when it comes to the rest of Europe, including Russia. Don't you think that might explain why they are being extremely wary?
    I think that is one reason of three. The other two being:

1 - They are mercantilists. Nordstream 2 was forced through over strong EU objections in knowledge of the consequences for Ukraine.
    2 - They are up a creek without a paddle for the next decade for energy, with no Plan B if not Russia. Putin has succeeded in making Germany significantly dependent on Russia. *

* Though there may be options to mitigate, but not in the short term and not as much as needed.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    IshmaelZ said:

Polruan said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he goes Q2.

Well, new leader will pop round to Queenie and say he commands a majority I assume

I need to re-read FTPA but I’m not sure the house can pass a vote of confidence in a possible government if the old one which lost the confidence vote hasn’t resigned. Does anyone know? The Queen can fire the PM if he doesn’t do the constitutionally proper thing and resign. Based on how she dealt with the 2019 prorogation I’m not sure she would.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Omnium said:

He is professional and honest, he was the architect of furlough, and is the complete opposite to Boris

Does Javid (or anyone else in cabinet) now put honour before personal ambition and call for a VONC?
  • Options

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

Get 2% vaxxed, move 2% to non patient facing roles and lose 2%. Not ideal but should be manageable.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Getting f##king vaccinated....

Staff throw their uniforms at the police outside Downing Street.
    https://twitter.com/SubjectAccesss/status/1484907250821046273?s=20

With adding 80K vacancies to 100K not being a good look for a backlog reduction initiative, you are aware the government are imminently to U-TURN on compulsive jabs for health workers by first adding 2 month delay, then kicking into long grass?

Hard at this moment to defend the government on this controversial policy when they are about to pull rug from under your feet.
    On the contrary - they will have little sensible choice but to u-turn because of the extent of selfish idiocy at play (and I've not been persuaded by defences of people in health services taking this stance), but the idea itself was perfectly reasonable.
    Yes I can understand that argument, the 80K shouldn’t be unjabbed.

But it’s still government insisting on a policy and then U turning late in the day.
    Yes, which may look weak, but the claim was it was hard to defend the government on the policy when they are about to pull the rug on it, and it isn't hard at all - they're right, but they're unable to do it, which is unfortunate is all.
    No - the day they announced the policy, they should have been aware they couldn’t go through with it, adding 80K vacancies to 100K not being a good look for a backlog reduction initiative, yet it’s still not the governments fault the u-turn makes them look naff and weak? Very odd logic from you. 🤔
    That's not my logic. You claimed it was hard to defend the government on the policy because they are about to u-turn on it. I don't agree that it is hard.

I don't care whether a u-turn makes the government look weak. And them looking weak for u-turning doesn't make the policy any more or less of a good idea.

It was a good idea, I support them trying it, and regretfully understand why it must u-turn.

I'm no fan of the government, but being unable to do something good because of idiots? I'll give them a pass on that.
    No I’m not letting you get away with it.

Staking credibility on a working policy you then lose when you u-turn, because it’s not a working policy, and before it was announced wasn’t ever going to work, has to go down into the naff politics column. And add to that they have managed to swell the numbers in a flaming anti vax March today.

Sorry for being a bit hard, I’m only trying to untangle your twisted logic on this. Twisted because you appear to be saying there will be no political damage because the policy was the right one.
    Kle4 where have you gone 😞

It’s a good policy if you go through with it. 2 libdems, Foxy supports it, I don’t have a problem with it. But adding 80K vacancies to 100K does not help the fight back on waiting lists was always going to be the case, government should have seen the dangers of pushing it and then u-turning on it.

Happy to end the discussion here, both of us okay with the policy if can be acted on, you admitting it goes into naff politics column on basis at what point could it ever have been acted on?

I’m sorry. U turns made the opponents of the policy winners, it’s strengthened them. It has to be moved into naff politics column.
  • Options

Omnium said:

I am not sure he is as problematic to Labour than some of the minor candidates mentioned to replace Johnson.

My Conservative wife doesn't rate him particularly highly, but considers him head and shoulders better than "Dizzy Lizzie".
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,717
    jonny83 said:

OT

I does seem rather absurd that from April NHS staff will be fired for being unvaxxed, yet people who are positive for covid permitted to work unmasked in jobs like taxi-driving, pubs, restaurants and shops where exposure is highly likely.

It is unclear yet if people who are covid positive will be permitted to work in Health and Social care.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-isolation-rules-for-infected-people-set-to-end-cvdjs8xpx
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

Then that'll be 6% of NHS staff being shuffled into back office roles or getting the heave-ho, if true.

The Government didn't back down over social care workers, despite that sector being, if anything, even more distressed than health. I don't think they'll give the NHS heel-diggers a free pass either.

In London, demonstrators marched from Regents Park to the BBC headquarters in Portland Place in a peaceful protest against mandating vaccines for health workers.

But Dr Nikki Kanani, medical director of primary care for NHS England, said health care professionals had "a duty" to make sure they were protected.

She said: "If you're marching today, just take a moment, think about the people that you've been looking after who have experienced Covid, think about your colleagues who you've been working with, and think about the best way to make sure that we're all protected, and that we're all as safe as possible, because we are very much in this together and it's down to us to look after each other too."

The deputy chief executive of NHS Providers, Saffron Cordery, said delaying the policy on mandatory vaccination was not the answer.

She said staff who worked with patients and choose not to be vaccinated "will be redeployed where that is possible, or potentially dismissed".

And while health bosses were worried about "exacerbating staff shortages at a time when the service is under huge operational pressures", the majority backed the policy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60096735
  • Options

Omnium said:

Add to that, Boris is a lazy oaf with no command of detail, and that’s crap. Sunak is industrious and is completely on top of detail. And that’s good.

Or, to attack Omnium’s lazy question with the answer it deserves - if Boris can be Prime Minister so can I.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

Heathener said:

Germany has a rather 'colourful' military history when it comes to the rest of Europe, including Russia. Don't you think that might explain why they are being extremely wary?

Germany invaded Ukraine in 1918, as well as the more well-known invasion of 1941.
    Germany has been extremely non-careful about arming and helping arm *Russia* since the last time the Russians went walkabout in Ukraine.

Selling arms to one side in a war, then claiming that they can't possibly allow someone to arm the other side.

Interestingly, that would put their legal status as a neutral in a war at risk. Ukraine could claim, under international law, that Germany was a co-beligerant with Russia and demand reparations....
    I remember years ago, in the 80s, listening to Stefan Terlezki MP. He was a one-term Tory who represented a seat in Cardiff. He was a Ukrainian and came to the UK as a refugee. He remarked that one half of his family had been murdered by the Nazis, and the other half by the Soviets. Wonder what he would be thinking now.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,717

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

With adding 80K vacancies to 100K not being a good look for a backlog reduction initiative, you are aware the government are imminently to U-TURN on compulsive jabs for health workers by first adding 2 month delay, then kicking into long grass?

Hard at this moment to defend the government on this controversial policy when they are about to pull rug from under your feet.
    On the contrary - they will have little sensible choice but to u-turn because of the extent of selfish idiocy at play (and I've not been persuaded by defences of people in health services taking this stance), but the idea itself was perfectly reasonable.

But it’s still government insisting on a policy and then U turning late in the day.
    Yes, which may look weak, but the claim was it was hard to defend the government on the policy when they are about to pull the rug on it, and it isn't hard at all - they're right, but they're unable to do it, which is unfortunate is all.
    No - the day they announced the policy, they should have been aware they couldn’t go through with it, adding 80K vacancies to 100K not being a good look for a backlog reduction initiative, yet it’s still not the governments fault the u-turn makes them look naff and weak? Very odd logic from you. 🤔
    That's not my logic. You claimed it was hard to defend the government on the policy because they are about to u-turn on it. I don't agree that it is hard.

I don't care whether a u-turn makes the government look weak. And them looking weak for u-turning doesn't make the policy any more or less of a good idea.

It was a good idea, I support them trying it, and regretfully understand why it must u-turn.

I'm no fan of the government, but being unable to do something good because of idiots? I'll give them a pass on that.

Staking credibility on a working policy you then lose when you u-turn, because it’s not a working policy, and before it was announced wasn’t ever going to work, has to go down into the naff politics column. And add to that they have managed to swell the numbers in a flaming anti vax March today.

Sorry for being a bit hard, I’m only trying to untangle your twisted logic on this. Twisted because you appear to be saying there will be no political damage because the policy was the right one.
    Kle4 where have you gone 😞

It’s a good policy if you go through with it. 2 libdems, Foxy supports it, I don’t have a problem with it. But adding 80K vacancies to 100K does not help the fight back on waiting lists was always going to be the case, government should have seen the dangers of pushing it and then u-turning on it.

Happy to end the discussion here, both of us okay with the policy if can be acted on, you admitting it goes into naff politics column on basis at what point could it ever have been acted on?

I’m sorry. U turns made the opponents of the policy winners, it’s strengthened them. It has to be moved into naff politics column.
    I don't support it as it stands, though have no objection in principle. My reasons include:

1) only double vaxxing is required, not a booster, making the policy less effective.

2) there should be an exception for staff with documented evidence of recent infection by antibody blood tests. This gives similar protection as double vaccination.

3) it is absurd to permit covid positive people to work at the same time as banning the unvaxxed.

• Options
    edited January 2022

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

Get 2% vaxxed, move 2% to non patient facing roles and lose 2%. Not ideal but should be manageable.
    I feel strongly that patient safety must come first, as that is what the NHS is for, and I note:

1 - It seems to have worked in France.
    2 - Student Nurse recruitment has been booming.
    3 - If necessary, roles can be available in eg telemedicine or non-contact type disciplines.

I can't fathom the stance of Scotland and Wales on this.

The Government pausing without good reason would be classic backdown-Boris, suffering from LMF when he can't freewheel.

Agree with Foxy's nuances generally.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,910
    edited January 2022
    Could we take out, with a sub, a Nord stream pipeline? Plausible deniability.

Could the Russians do the same to us with a cable to one of our offshore wind farms?

https://news.sky.com/story/russian-submarines-threatening-undersea-network-of-internet-cables-says-uk-defence-chief-sir-tony-radakin-12511437
  • Options

When I suggested the "letter boxes" and "bank robbers" commentary was Islamaphobic, I was shouted down because I was too stupid to understand hilarious satire.
    There will be reasons. Or ‘reasons’.

A good test as to whether or not all of BJ’s credibility has dribbled away will be if the usual rush to shoot the messenger takes place.

‘Only her word for it’
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,470

Heathener said:

Germany invaded Ukraine in 1918, as well as the more well-known invasion of 1941.
    Germany has been extremely non-careful about arming and helping arm *Russia* since the last time the Russians went walkabout in Ukraine.

Selling arms to one side in a war, then claiming that they can't possibly allow someone to arm the other side.

Interestingly, that would put their legal status as a neutral in a war at risk. Ukraine could claim, under international law, that Germany was a co-beligerant with Russia and demand reparations....
    I remember years ago, in the 80s, listening to Stefan Terlezki MP. He was a one-term Tory who represented a seat in Cardiff. He was a Ukrainian and came to the UK as a refugee. He remarked that one half of his family had been murdered by the Nazis, and the other half by the Soviets. Wonder what he would be thinking now.
    That is the story of my family, on one side. Came from around Lvov. There is no one left there now. The last were put on trains when the area was re-conquered by the Soviet Union. The Nazis killed most - being Jews. But the Soviets tidied up.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

Then that'll be 6% of NHS staff being shuffled into back office roles or getting the heave-ho, if true.

The Government didn't back down over social care workers, despite that sector being, if anything, even more distressed than health. I don't think they'll give the NHS heel-diggers a free pass either.

In London, demonstrators marched from Regents Park to the BBC headquarters in Portland Place in a peaceful protest against mandating vaccines for health workers.

But Dr Nikki Kanani, medical director of primary care for NHS England, said health care professionals had "a duty" to make sure they were protected.

She said: "If you're marching today, just take a moment, think about the people that you've been looking after who have experienced Covid, think about your colleagues who you've been working with, and think about the best way to make sure that we're all protected, and that we're all as safe as possible, because we are very much in this together and it's down to us to look after each other too."

The deputy chief executive of NHS Providers, Saffron Cordery, said delaying the policy on mandatory vaccination was not the answer.

She said staff who worked with patients and choose not to be vaccinated "will be redeployed where that is possible, or potentially dismissed".

And while health bosses were worried about "exacerbating staff shortages at a time when the service is under huge operational pressures", the majority backed the policy.

I cannot for the life of me see why a classic political compromise cannot be brought to bear here. Pause the sackings. Give them until next Autumn to get vaxxed as there is no panic as the omi variant is not as severe as first thought etc etc...

The principle is retained. The date is moved. The staff carry on.

There seems little evidence that them being vaxxed will protect patients. Maybe I have missed this?
  • Options

Who could have predicted a Prime Minister who compared Muslim women wearing the burqa to “letterboxes” and “bank robbers” would appoint Islamophobes to his government?

I agree. It’s disgusting he done all that and then became leader. Did he say that to help him become leader Eagles? That’s a good question isn’t it?

Is 50 pieces of silver worth an 80 seat majority, won on such a platform?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022

pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

I cannot for the life of me see why a classic political compromise cannot be brought to bear here. Pause the sackings. Give them until next Autumn to get vaxxed as there is no panic as the omi variant is not as severe as first thought etc etc...

There seems little evidence that them being vaxxed will protect patients. Maybe I have missed this?
    Except NHS staff have already had a year to get vaccinated anytime they like, can kicking, we will be in the same position in 6 months time. This deadline is already effectively a delayed deadline as government talked about this from the start and mandated care home staff needed to be vaccinated, so it was absolutely clear if you work in the NHS you were going to be asked to get jabbed. The government have given people ages to get sorted.
  • Options

Heathener said:

He would be wanting what is the real threat to banana republic Russia - that Putin's plaything bufferzone countries become advanced, stable, successful democracies.

That's what really scares Putin.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044
  • Options

A good test as to whether or not all of BJ’s credibility has dribbled away will be if the usual rush to shoot the messenger takes place.

‘Only her word for it’
    Some of the earlier Johnson defenders seem keen on shooting down Johnson's premiership rather than the messenger.these days.

And good for them!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,224
    pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

This applies to back office staff as well
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Omnium said:

Does Javid (or anyone else in cabinet) now put honour before personal ambition and call for a VONC?
    That's really what's needed. Steve Baker, in his interview a few days ago, basically said he was looking to the cabinet to take a lead. I'm not sure I can really see anyone there of the stature to do that TBH.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Polruan said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he goes Q2.

Environmentalist King Charles III will appoint Caroline Lucas as the new PM in those circumstances.
    Slightly weirdly he really could have your head chopped off. I've always liked Charles.
    If he reads PB he’s already got Eagles top of the list in his little book.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Oh just give it up
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    For goodness sake - you never fail to say something crass
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Eabhal said:

Could we take out, with a sub, a Nord stream pipeline? Plausible deniability.

Could the Russians do the same to us with a cable to one of our offshore wind farms?

https://news.sky.com/story/russian-submarines-threatening-undersea-network-of-internet-cables-says-uk-defence-chief-sir-tony-radakin-12511437

Potentially. We need a defence strategy for it.

We know all about taking out cables - we were I think the first to do it.

Within about a day of the start of WW1, we had hoicked up all the German owned cables in the Channel and cut them. Which meant that a lot of their comms had to either go via radio which we could monitor, or neutral-owned cables, which I think tended to go via Cornwall.

See the Zimmermann Telegram, which was a proposal from Germnay to Mexico that they subsidise a Mexican war on the USA. We got it by I think tapping diplomatic traffic, and it was how we got the USA into WW1. A good story.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram
  • Options
    edited January 2022

moonshine said:

Omnium said:

That's really what's needed. Steve Baker, in his interview a few days ago, basically said he was looking to the cabinet to take a lead. I'm not sure I can really see anyone there of the stature to do that TBH.
    I do wonder if the old adage about daggers and crowns is as true as it’s claimed in this case.
  • Options
    Just a reminder that Nus Ghani was sacked for being a Muslim the same time the Muslim Sajid Javid was ousted as Chancellor.

Hmmm....
  • Options
    HYUFD doesn't exactly do the image of the modern Tory party a lot of favours.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

There's no point pausing it. At this point no-one is on the fence about vaccination, particularly NHS personnel who had earlier access to it than most. By now everyone's made their decision one way or the other. If people haven't had it by now they're not going to get it.

Problem the government has is that it's saying to the general public "the danger's passed, we can ditch everything now in terms of restrictions" so the natural vaccine sceptic is going to say "well I've gone this far without so don't see the urgency". Telling them then "omi isn't that bad but it's still mandatory but it's not mandatory for a while yet" is just the worst of all mixed messages.

Pausing it is just saying "you guys have the power here". What's going to have changed at the end of the pause? You either go through with it or you can it entirely.
  • Options

Just a reminder that Nus Ghani was sacked for being a Muslim the same time the Muslim Sajid Javid was ousted as Chancellor.

Hmmm....

Was that not thought to be Mr Cummings doing?
  • Options

On what basis? Most Muslims vote Labour but there is still a Muslim member of the Cabinet
  • Options

He makes me despair
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Omnium said:

I do wonder if the old adage about daggers and crowns is as true as it’s claimed in this case.
    Funny thing about that is that Mrs T stabbed Ted Heath in the front and was rewarded with the leadership as a result. She would have stood no chance otherwise, but the grandees wouldn't move. The adage took off largely because of Hezza's fate.
  • Options

Hmmm....

Well that was the spin....
  • Options

Hmmm....

It was Cummings who orchestrated Javid's ousting so he could be replaced by Sunak
  • Options

Hmmm....

I'm doubtful about this. Boris may be many things but not dumb-ass racist. He's a one-man melting pot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

On what basis? Most Muslims vote Labour but there is still a Muslim member of the Cabinet
    Please go and have a cup of tea
  • Options

Hmmm....

I'm doubtful about this. Boris may be many things but not dumb-ass racist. He's a one-man melting pot.
    I am SHOCKED a Prime Minister who compared Muslim women wearing the burqa to “letterboxes” and “bank robbers” would appoint Islamophobes to his government.
  • Options

pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

There's no point pausing it. At this point no-one is on the fence about vaccination, particularly NHS personnel who had earlier access to it than most. By now everyone's made their decision one way or the other. If people haven't had it by now they're not going to get it.

Problem the government has is that it's saying to the general public "the danger's passed, we can ditch everything now in terms of restrictions" so the natural vaccine sceptic is going to say "well I've gone this far without so don't see the urgency". Telling them then "omi isn't that bad but it's still mandatory but it's not mandatory for a while yet" is just the worst of all mixed messages.

Pausing it is just saying "you guys have the power here". What's going to have changed at the end of the pause? You either go through with it or you can it entirely.
    Nothing has changed at the end of the pause.

There's a chance it will not be an issue by the autumn as the world moves on, the plague passes into history or at least live-with-it-like-flu status. We don't sack NHS for not being flu jabbed.

It's a political fix to get through another few months before deciding what to do. By then the pieces have moved on the board.

Don't get me wrong: It would be better if they got vaxxed, but I am talking pragmatic politics here.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

There is evidence that vaccination does suppress infection and spread. It’s complicated because it’s not binary. Vaccination doesn’t give you 100% of anything.
    I’m reluctantly with @Foxy on this. Let those with antibodies be treated as if vaccinated.
    I’m just sad that so many still reject the clear evidence of safety and efficacy of vaccination.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Heathener said:

He would be wanting what is the real threat to banana republic Russia - that Putin's plaything bufferzone countries become advanced, stable, successful democracies.

I totally support this post.

Putin isn’t seriously eyeing Latvia, and in my opinion Putin never will but the next Russian leader may if the country, rather like the Chinese have done, swings Nationalist post Putin, of which we will be partly responsible for making Putin appear so ineffective.

Putin is in a spot with his plaything buffer zones moving towards successful West leaning democracies. Spinning it up more than that, placing Putin as greedy and hungry as Hitler, hasn’t convinced me yet.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Omnium said:

Steve Baker was on Political Thinking on R4 at 5:30pm this evening.

Very interesting interview. He's an adrenaline junkie in some ways. Freefall parachuting.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0013qt4
  • Options
    If Boris Johnson is ousted soon as PM I think I've found a perfect job for him, Chairman of Yorkshire County Cricket Club.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Omnium said:

And of course there blooming well isn't anyone of sufficient stature. Nobody with sufficient stature or self-respect would be offered a job by Boris, or accept any offer made.

(Which is why Rishi isn't the panacea some imagine, as seen in the small positive but not game-changing Rishi effect in hypothetical polls. Rishi was one of the first Boris Backers and has risen by doing his master's will.)
  • Options
    How much do Southampton want for Salisu?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,838
    edited January 2022

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

There''s nothing twisted about it, you just seem to be ignoring what I am saying.

I did not say there would be no political damage. I said it would look weak, ergo it has political damage.

I don't care about political damage, and the point you seem to have missed is that what kicked off this discussion had nothing to do with that either.

Your exact words were:

That's all this discussion was about, not some wider point about the politics of it. Your words were that it would be 'hard' to defend the government 'on' the policy when they are about to 'pull rug from under your feet' on it. No more and no less than that - that because the government are u-turning, defending the policy would be hard.

My sole point was I don't agree with that. I think it is very easy to defend the intended policy. That the government aren't going through with it matters to them, but not to me.

Why would my opinion on a policy be dependent on the government's stance on it?
  • Options

If Boris Johnson is ousted soon as PM I think I've found a perfect job for him, Chairman of Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

Already taken by Lord Patel

https://news.sky.com/story/yorkshire-county-cricket-club-appoints-new-chairman-amid-institutional-racism-storm-12460540
  • Options

Rebuild is actually an upgrade for Yorkshire, signing Otis Gibson as head coach.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Omnium said:

And of course there blooming well isn't anyone of sufficient stature. Nobody with sufficient stature or self-respect would be offered a job by Boris, or accept any offer made.

(Which is why Rishi isn't the panacea some imagine, as seen in the small positive but not game-changing Rishi effect in hypothetical polls. Rishi was one of the first Boris Backers and has risen by doing his master's will.)
    Have there been any other recent PMs who strangled talent and surrounded themselves with the second rate?
  • Options

Rebuild is actually an upgrade for Yorkshire, signing Otis Gibson as head coach.
    Yup, I think Rafiq saying Yorkshire shouldn't be banned from hosting England matches means things are moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,348
    edited January 2022

Hmmm....

I am SHOCKED a Prime Minister who compared Muslim women wearing the burqa to “letterboxes” and “bank robbers” would appoint Islamophobes to his government.
    Don't forget the piccaninnies!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

There''s nothing twisted about it, you just seem to be ignoring what I am saying.

I did not say there would be no political damage. I said it would look weak, ergo it has political damage.

I don't care about political damage, and the point you seem to have missed is that what kicked off this discussion had nothing to do with that either.

Your exact words were:

That's all this discussion was about, not some wider point about the politics of it. Your words were that it would be 'hard' to defend the government 'on' the policy when they are about to 'pull rug from under your feet' on it. No more and no less than that - that because the government are u-turning, defending the policy would be hard.

My sole point was I don't agree with that. I think it is very easy to defend the intended policy. That the government aren't going through with it matters to them, but not to me.

Okay. Good point well made. Thanks for the reply 🙂
  • Options

‘Only her word for it’
    I'm merely confused - what idiot would admit that as the reason to anyone, even when it was the reason, even if among like minded people at the time one of whom might let it slip later?

Puts me in mind of a John Oliver bit about someone who reacted angrily to being questioned about being a white supremacist, but didn't actually deny it, noting something like 'People who are't racists say no. Even people who are racists know to say no'.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,470

MattW said:

Heathener said:

I totally support this post.

Putin isn’t seriously eyeing Latvia, and in my opinion Putin never will but the next Russian leader may if the country, rather like the Chinese have done, swings Nationalist post Putin, of which we will be partly responsible for making Putin appear so ineffective.

Putin is in a spot with his plaything buffer zones moving towards successful West leaning democracies. Spinning it up more than that, placing Putin as greedy and hungry as Hitler, hasn’t convinced me yet.
    So you are saying that by not giving Putin all the Ukraine he can eat, we are weakening him, which will make his nationalistic successors more nationalistic?

Why don't we feed him someone else, just to be sure?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Hmmm....

Don't forget the piccaninnies!
    And Liverpool. All of it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Your exact words were:

Okay. Good point well made. Thanks for the reply 🙂
    Thank you - now I can get back to what I presume are the last days of Leto (II) Atreides with a clear mind :).
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering if someone this week shared evidence that Rishi knew about or attended a party.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Heathener said:

Surely the Austians. (I think not Hungarians)
    It was a German-led operation. Sure, the Austrians went along with it, but as soon as Ukrainian independence was recognised by the Central Powers in February 1918, the ethnic Poles in Austria-Hungary weren't too happy (competing territorial claims and all that).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

https://news.sky.com/story/yorkshire-county-cricket-club-appoints-new-chairman-amid-institutional-racism-storm-12460540
    There are more suitable jobs in cricket:

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Wondering if someone this week shared evidence that Rishi knew about or attended a party.

He is teetotal and there is no evidence he attended any party
  • Options
    STRANGE BUT TRUE

Leon drinks his mega-martinis in Columbo . . . at same time yours truly watches an old "Columbo" re-run . . .

Coincidence? Karma?? Kismet???
  • Options

Omnium said:

Heathener said:

Surely the Austians. (I think not Hungarians)
    It was a German-led operation. Sure, the Austrians went along with it, but as soon as Ukrainian independence was recognised by the Central Powers in February 1918, the ethnic Poles in Austria-Hungary weren't too happy (competing territorial claims and all that).
    L'viv my L'vov alone!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,512
    edited January 2022

Jonathan said:

But given where he lives and works he would have to blind and deaf to not realise parties were taking part in Downing Street.
  • Options
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

There are more suitable jobs in cricket:

Make sure the Lanky cheat isn’t wearing trainers.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022

Jonathan said:

But given where he lives and works he would have to blind and deaf to not realise parties were taking part in Number 10.
    As i understood it, he doesn't live in Downing Street.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I've been to parties/ work events and indulged in nothing more potent than a J2O.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,910

Jonathan said:

But given where he lives and works he would have to blind and deaf to not realise parties were taking part in Number 10.
    Isn't he in the wine and cheese photo, back left in the classic grey hoodie?
  • Options
    >Saffron Cordery

What a wonderful name.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I was told at various stages of the pandemic he lived in Downing Street.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Omnium said:

Have there been any other recent PMs who strangled talent and surrounded themselves with the second rate?
    Excellent question. Brown is meant to have made sure that he was the only possible successor to Blair by nuking any potential rivals, isn't he? Though that's a bit different.

Normally, the logic goes "appoint the best broadly sympathetic people you can, because if they do well, the boss looks good." If an organisation doesn't do that, it's normally a hefty red light.
  • Options

pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

There's a chance it will not be an issue by the autumn as the world moves on, the plague passes into history or at least live-with-it-like-flu status. We don't sack NHS for not being flu jabbed.

It's a political fix to get through another few months before deciding what to do. By then the pieces have moved on the board.

Don't get me wrong: It would be better if they got vaxxed, but I am talking pragmatic politics here.

yes and the key thing is that anti-vac NHS workers actually have power as they do essential and in short supply jobs.So fair play to them if they recognise this and stick to their principles. Everyone in life should use their individual power however big or small to further their own life.
    Imagine if an ultimatum was given to non-job sectors like diversity officers , nobody would care including government if they got sacked
  • Options

STRANGE BUT TRUE

Leon drinks his mega-martinis in Columbo . . . at same time yours truly watches an old "Columbo" re-run . . .

Coincidence? Karma?? Kismet???

21st century TVs got a lot going for it you know. Have you seen Munich Edge of War yet?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I've been to parties/ work events and indulged in nothing more potent than a J2O.
    I'm a teetotaller and I've attended parties.

Wait until you hear some of the chat up lines I've used at parties.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,702
    Heathener said:

Once again I have to admire Mike for this thread, since it comes from someone who stands to gain a massive win if Sunak IS next PM (a bet at 250/1).

I think great political betting is about distancing oneself and observing as objectively and dispassionately as possible.

Johnson is not giving up without a fight, that's for sure.

Which makes his bet on Starmer insurance, rather than the pursuit of value on its own.
    While it's decent value, for those of us without a highly leverage Suns position, it’s less compelling.

And I think Johnson is toast, FWIW.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited January 2022

pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

My immediate guess would be between 800-1000 of our staff at our trust are not double vaccinated.

That is a mixture of non vaccinated and only had one jab.

The ones that had say one jab can probably be encouraged and worked on to have their second. The main reasons I have seen so far for only having one is that they either had the 1st jab and felt unwell after it so didn't bother with the 2nd or they had 1 jab and still got Covid so again they didn't see the point. These groups I think with time and effort and simply the fear of losing their jobs or being redeployed will end up having their 2nd.

The no jabs at all group will be much harder, a lot will make a stand and are strong in their beliefs. They have had plenty of time to get vaccinated and not had it.

The medically exempt (those that might be and those that believe they should be) and those that are pregnant will of course have to be looked at. You also have overseas vaccinations with Doctors and Nurses that will have to be checked out and screened.

There is really a lot of work coming up and my department will be right in the thick of it at our Trust.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

This might shock you. Teetotaller attend parties. They’re not monks.
  • Options

pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

yes and the key thing is that anti-vac NHS workers actually have power as they do essential and in short supply jobs.So fair play to them if they recognise this and stick to their principles. Everyone in life should use their individual power however big or small to further their own life.
    Imagine if an ultimatum was given to non-job sectors like diversity officers , nobody would care including government if they got sacked
    Except that such "principles" undermine their job-purpose to care for patients, and being jabbed in this case is an essential requirement of the job.

With strong evidence to back it up.

If they are opposed, let a TU bring a Judicial Review under the "irrational" and "illogical" criteria to get an independent evaluation.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

My immediate guess would be between 800-1000 of our staff at our trust are not double vaccinated.

That is a mixture of non vaccinated and only had one jab.

The ones that had say one jab can probably be encouraged and worked on to have their second. The main reasons I have seen so far for only having one is that they either had the 1st jab and felt unwell after it so didn't bother with the 2nd or they had 1 jab and still got Covid so again they didn't see the point. These groups I think with time and effort and simply the fear of losing their jobs or being redeployed will end up having their 2nd.

The no jabs at all group will be much harder, a lot will make a stand and are strong in their beliefs. They have had plenty of time to get vaccinated and not had it.

The medically exempt (those that might be and those that believe they should be) and those that are pregnant will of course have to be looked at. You also have overseas vaccinations with Doctors and Nurses that will have to be checked out and screened.

There is really a lot of work coming up and my department will be right in the thick of it at our Trust.

and all not necessary if the government had not had a power surge go to their head on this. You cannot force people to stick needles in their body
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

pigeon said:

MattW said:

jonny83 said:

OT

It's the same sort of political fix that played out so badly with Brexit. There's a decision to be made, but it's too politically difficult to make it, so let's postpone it, kick the can down the road a bit and hope that either something different has appeared by then to change the equation or everyone's forgotten about it. I understand the rationale, I'm just not convinced it's the solution.

If you pause it, open-deadline style, then you're basically saying the mandatory thing isn't tenable, having already pissed off the social care staff with a mandatory jab. If you pause it with a new fixed deadline, you're basically just moving the problem another few months along the line.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I am not saying he wouldn't go to a party but where is the evidence
This discussion has been closed.