Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Punters give Johnson just a 32% chance of surviving 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• delete

Hilarious!

This was presumably the Anglo-Saxon English of the period? Perhaps she should give us an example?
  • Is DRoss still nominally a Conservative? Because he seems to be an opposition spokesman these days. What does he and Wragg and Davies and the others have to do to get Ken Clark'd out of the party?

Ken Clarke voted against the Conservative three line whip on a Commons vote termed a confidence vote.

No different whatsoever to John Major expelling Rupert Allason.

Although none of Major's "bastards" went as far as Clarke did in voting in the Opposition lobbies in the confidence vote.
    I remember the interview with a bemused and regretful Ken Clarke and Sir Nicholas Soames after they had been defrocked. That whole sequence of Peppa booting long-standing servants of the party out saying they weren't proper Tories really was a precursor to what happened to the party later.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,160
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

My observation is that the influential leaders of the Tory party having looked into the abyss and the alternatives on offer and have decided to stick with 'Big Dog'.

That raises the real possibility that he will not only survive this, but go on to fight the General Election.

Some Tories are in an invidious position. I suspect that we will see a myriad of excuses why they have changed their mind and decided to back Boris once again.

If so, that's probably the end to Tory rule. We are in a mid-90's situation. Playing for time.
    PS. Have now watched PMQ'S. Dreadful.
    It's clear that no10 is dysfunctional. If this Carries on he will lose. Boris' only chance is to use his planned post Gray fire-sale to install a professional team. He can be effective as a front-man, but someone else needs to govern and write the script.
    Yep, if he somehow manages to hang on, he needs to clear out everyone from No.10 and get a team of good communicators and strategists in place. But how do you solve a problem like Carrie?
    I find it unconvincing that the problem Johnson is Carrie rather than Boris. Was it Carrie who OK’d the 20 May party? Was it Carrie who thought the wine time gatherings were just fine? Was it Carrie who hatched the plan to save Owen Paterson?

Boris was twice sacked from jobs for lying. Was Carrie ever sacked from a job for lying?

• Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

As suspected, Klopp was talking bollocks about false positives:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1484073460108337154

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK
    ▪️ #LFC originally returned negative COVID tests
    ▪️ Then ordered extra ones that weren't required
    ▪️ They turned up positives so game v #Arsenal called off
    ▪️ But tests were faulty though that was not made public at first

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

Liverpool thought they might have an outbreak after the Chelsea game on 2 January. However, all the players tested negative on LFTs at the training ground. But that wasn't good enough for them, so they got a company called BioGrad to PCR test them. That's not the regular PL tester. That is Prenetics, who, apparently, are slower. The BioGrad tests came back positive and, even though the Prenetics tests came back negative, the Arsenal game was called off because a negative test cannot overrule a positive test. It was only when another round of Prenetics tests came back negative that it was obvious that the BioGrad tests were wrong.

So Klopp was wrong to use the phrase false positives. The tests they got done - and they didn't have to get them done as the LFTs said negative - were faulty.

What is a faulty positive if not a false positive?

The fact that they were faulty demonstrates it was a false positive, and not as some claimed here at the time false negatives.
    The real question is why they PCR tested.
    Possibly because they thought the LFTs were false negatives?

But positives caused by faulty tests are false positives.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

Liverpool thought they might have an outbreak after the Chelsea game on 2 January. However, all the players tested negative on LFTs at the training ground. But that wasn't good enough for them, so they got a company called BioGrad to PCR test them. That's not the regular PL tester. That is Prenetics, who, apparently, are slower. The BioGrad tests came back positive and, even though the Prenetics tests came back negative, the Arsenal game was called off because a negative test cannot overrule a positive test. It was only when another round of Prenetics tests came back negative that it was obvious that the BioGrad tests were wrong.

So Klopp was wrong to use the phrase false positives. The tests they got done - and they didn't have to get them done as the LFTs said negative - were faulty.

The fact that they were faulty demonstrates it was a false positive, and not as some claimed here at the time false negatives.
    From the Athletic:

The same, it is argued, can be said for his “false positive” description. In a literal sense, the players tested positive. They then tested negative. Yet that is not a “false positive” – when you know all of the tests you are talking about were, eventually, disregarded because of fault lines and mathematic improbability.

To be fair, Klopp might not appreciate that what he said was wrong and potentially dangerous. But the distinction between faulty and false positive is very important.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

Is DRoss still nominally a Conservative? Because he seems to be an opposition spokesman these days. What does he and Wragg and Davies and the others have to do to get Ken Clark'd out of the party?

Most of the Scottish party has called for Johnson's head. The spectacle of the Minister for the Union throwing them all out would be quite something.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

My observation is that the influential leaders of the Tory party having looked into the abyss and the alternatives on offer and have decided to stick with 'Big Dog'.

That raises the real possibility that he will not only survive this, but go on to fight the General Election.

Some Tories are in an invidious position. I suspect that we will see a myriad of excuses why they have changed their mind and decided to back Boris once again.

If so, that's probably the end to Tory rule. We are in a mid-90's situation. Playing for time.
    It's clear that no10 is dysfunctional. If this Carries on he will lose. Boris' only chance is to use his planned post Gray fire-sale to install a professional team. He can be effective as a front-man, but someone else needs to govern and write the script.
    Yep, if he somehow manages to hang on, he needs to clear out everyone from No.10 and get a team of good communicators and strategists in place. But how do you solve a problem like Carrie?
    I find it unconvincing that the problem Johnson is Carrie rather than Boris. Was it Carrie who OK’d the 20 May party? Was it Carrie who thought the wine time gatherings were just fine? Was it Carrie who hatched the plan to save Owen Paterson?

Boris was twice sacked from jobs for lying. Was Carrie ever sacked from a job for lying?

Um... it's complicated. DYOR about her career history

They can both be the problem
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

It's a sad, but also richly entertaining, day when a senior Tory backbencher encourages his colleagues to go to the Metropolitan Police and seek a criminal charge of blackmail against government ministers.

I am not entertained. I'm extremely worried. This has the risk of turning into a generation-level crisis.
    I think I'm just about done with the Conservatives for life now. I don't see a way back for me now. Previously I thought it was just a case of we needed to get Boris and his small group toxic idiots out, but it's much more profound now.
    The idea that you would ever vote Conservative ever is ludicrous anyway
    I love you HY. You are the ideal opponent. You really go the extra mile to make prospective supporters flee in the opposite direction. It is a pleasure to see you in action.
    Farooq has never expressed a single conservative view on here as far as I can see, it would not be a Conservative party if he ever voted for it
    I’m centre-right, and indeed have served as a councillor for a centre-right party. Go on, just as a wee exercise, try to persuade me to vote Scottish Conservative and Unionist.
    You are a Scottish Nationalist, obviously you are never going to vote for a Unionist party
    Huh?

I was not born a member of the SNP. I chose to become one as an adult. I could choose to cease that membership at any time. Persuade me.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

Agreed – the opprobrium she receives on here is more than faintly sexist. Boris is master of his own destiny – he is the one who caused this. Blaming his wife is pathetic.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    edited January 2022
    This is all beginning to look very, very, very bad for the Conservative Party. It's beginning to eclipse 1992-7 and that's saying something.

This is not a partisan message. I thought Corbyn was a disgusting anti-semitic misogynist who made Labour pure poison to the electorate.

But the news coming out today is appalling all round for the tories. If they don't get rid of Johnson very soon and very clinically they're in deep trouble come 2024. I think the damage may already be irreparable.

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

I presume the players must have been presenting some symptoms (which they wrongly thought were COVID), otherwise why were they ordering extra tests?

The Athletic again leading the way, like with the Arsenal betting stuff from yesterday...
    I guess the players were fine, otherwise why turn up to training? It sounds like they were being super cautious. They actually requested the postponement before the BioGrad results came back.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,608
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Mrs DA just asked if I had put 'car stuff' in the oven while sniffing the air suspiciously. I had - Porsche 924 front hubs for bearing installation. I said that I took the allegations very seriously but the appropriate thing to was to let Sue Gray finish the investigation before commenting. She went fucking mad. IT DOESN'T WORK!

Happy days.
    Before my partner moved in I had a 748 in the living room and a 900ss engine in its frame in a spare bedroom. Can't even clean an engine cover in the dishwasher now.
    I get told off if I put the toothbrush-holder in the dishwasher.
    I have to accept that there are dishwasher protocols that will forever be mysterious to me. 'But there weren't any dishes in with it' not an acceptable defence apparently.
    The best thing about dishwashers is that they use so much less water and energy than doing dishes by hand.

I'm going for the two dishwashers system this year.
    One for car parts ?
    Dishwashers are very good for getting road bike tyres to just the right temperature to make them easy to install without levers if you don't want fuck up your carbon fibre rims. If your rims aren't carbon fibre then have a fucking word with yourself.
    It doesn't state anywhere on my Apollo Highway whether the rims are carbon fibre. Should I assume no.
    He's talking about stuff like this - https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/s-works-tarmac-sl7---sram-red-etap-axs/p/199464?color=321600-199464 - I think
    Yes, he spends more on his bike than many of us spend on a car.

I’m looking at Porsches cheaper than that bike.
    The great thing about buying cheap performance cars is that you get the opportunity to spend more than the cost of a brand new one over the next five years keeping the cheap one on the road.

Unless you are like a chap I met, who was extremely happy to dismantle and rebuild his 1980s Countach every other weekend. In fact, I think the driving bit wasn't the bit he was interested in, really.

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

On topic: The ever-perceptive @AlastairMeeks has I think got this right in a tweet:

An exclusive preview of the Sue Gray report.

It will say: there were parties
    The PM attended one or more
    He was, it seems, told what was going on but tells me he didn't appreciate what was said
    There should not have been parties

MPs can decide now what they want to do next.

The only thing which I'd add is that it's of course possible that she will have found one or more emails which directly contradict the PM's account of things, and that would make it harder for Tory MPs to find excuses for Boris.

Hope you're right. That's at the bleaker end for Johnson. What I more fear and expect is a different 3rd line. "The PM says he was not informed and I found no hard evidence proving otherwise".

Given him surviving is a 50/50 imo, I think that's the value bet at current prices.
    himself is hardly yo be expected
    Pesto saying Gray has the email, is good news. Even if not true.
    He says she has an email to the PM's principal private secretary. That is not an email to the PM.
    Yes

Ever since primary school I have generally come quite high up the upper quartile in reading and comprehension tests

Cummings has never claimed an email to Johnson himself exists
    An email to the PM himself is hardly to be expected. What would it say? 'Dear PM, this Party appears to be against the rules which you yourself have made...'

It would be one senior official to another on the entirely reasonable assumption that said official will warn the PM as he or she sees fit. The ball is then very much in the court of the PM's secretary. My guess is that it would be raised briefly with the PM and if, say, the PM indicates, implicitly or otherwise, that said party will go ahead the official in question then demurs, making the appropriate diary note of the fact. Absent such a note, the official would of course now be in deep doo-doo with every prospect of the sack pending, and only the prospect of an easy well-paid job and peerage at some future date to soften the blow.
    Yes. As I was typing while you were typing that Johnson may not have an official email address even
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

On topic: The ever-perceptive @AlastairMeeks has I think got this right in a tweet:

He was, it seems, told what was going on but tells me he didn't appreciate what was said

The only thing which I'd add is that it's of course possible that she will have found one or more emails which directly contradict the PM's account of things, and that would make it harder for Tory MPs to find excuses for Boris.

Hope you're right. That's at the bleaker end for Johnson. What I more fear and expect is a different 3rd line. "The PM says he was not informed and I found no hard evidence proving otherwise".

Given him surviving is a 50/50 imo, I think that's the value bet at current prices.
    He says she has an email to the PM's principal private secretary. That is not an email to the PM.
    And if the PM’s PPS has any sense, he would have realised that the gathering might be controversial, and ensure that nothing was said to him about it in writing.
    If he had that much sense the actual invite would have been word of mouth though (not difficult if all invitees in same building, all the more important if all not in same building) so he hasn't

I have never been a Prime Minister, or at least not in the email era, but I'd believe someone who told me that PMs don't receive emails at all and the closest you can ever get is emailing the pps. Seems sense to have someone doing some gatekeeping
    I’ve never been a Prime Minister either - but I have been the IT guy who set up secondary phone numbers and email addresses for senior executives, with the regularly listed details for them going instead to their PA.

They generally don’t want to know the details of every single transaction going on within the company, and there’s sure as hell quite a bit of stuff they’d rather not know about - if only that they can answer truthfully, when questioned later, as to their knowledge of the subject.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Ever since primary school I have generally come quite high up the upper quartile in reading and comprehension tests

An email to the PM himself is hardly to be expected. What would it say? 'Dear PM, this Party appears to be against the rules which you yourself have made...'

It would be one senior official to another on the entirely reasonable assumption that said official will warn the PM as he or she sees fit. The ball is then very much in the court of the PM's secretary. My guess is that it would be raised briefly with the PM and if, say, the PM indicates, implicitly or otherwise, that said party will go ahead the official in question then demurs, making the appropriate diary note of the fact. Absent such a note, the official would of course now be in deep doo-doo with every prospect of the sack pending, and only the prospect of an easy well-paid job and peerage at some future date to soften the blow.
    The solution is clearly a peerage-for-silence for the PPS to allow Boris to Carrie On.
  • Is DRoss still nominally a Conservative? Because he seems to be an opposition spokesman these days. What does he and Wragg and Davies and the others have to do to get Ken Clark'd out of the party?

Ken Clarke voted against the Conservative three line whip on a Commons vote termed a confidence vote.

Although none of Major's "bastards" went as far as Clarke did in voting in the Opposition lobbies in the confidence vote.
    I remember the interview with a bemused and regretful Ken Clarke and Sir Nicholas Soames after they had been defrocked. That whole sequence of Peppa booting long-standing servants of the party out saying they weren't proper Tories really was a precursor to what happened to the party later.
    Not sure why they were bemused, the vote was deemed in advance as a confidence vote, exactly as Major did to the bastards with Maastricht.

And lets not forget that Ken Clarke was not just in the Cabinet, but was Chancellor of the Exchequer when Major pulled that stunt and got the 'bastards' compelled to back him and Allason was expelled from the party. So Ken Clarke could hardly be convincing in claiming that he didn't know the consequences when the same was done to him decades later that his own Cabinet did to others.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

The same, it is argued, can be said for his “false positive” description. In a literal sense, the players tested positive. They then tested negative. Yet that is not a “false positive” – when you know all of the tests you are talking about were, eventually, disregarded because of fault lines and mathematic improbability.

To be fair, Klopp might not appreciate that what he said was wrong and potentially dangerous. But the distinction between faulty and false positive is very important.
    Have Klopp and Boris Johnson been seen in the same room at the same time?
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

Surely, by definition, a false positive is a test that returns a positive result when the person is actually negative.
    I see that Andrew Murray is Scottish again today.

Is Emma Raducanu Romanian?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

I presume the players must have been presenting some symptoms (which they wrongly thought were COVID), otherwise why were they ordering extra tests?

The Athletic again leading the way, like with the Arsenal betting stuff from yesterday...
    I guess the players were fine, otherwise why turn up to training? It sounds like they were being super cautious. They actually requested the postponement before the BioGrad results came back.
    Well...given the level of analysis they do every day on the players, it could have been they saw a drop off in output and presumed perhaps they were infected but not yet showing symptoms or were asymptotic carriers.

I remember Alex Dowsett the cyclist saying that is what happened when he caught COVID. For 2-3 days before he showed any symptoms all his numbers were down and at the time couldn't really understand it, as he felt fine but when he downloaded his data from his training they were significantly reduced output in power vs heart rate etc.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    MattW said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Cheers. With a hefty gin and tonic from the Galle Face Hotel, Colombo, Sri Lanka

You lucky thing. I loved Sri Lanka - exciting place. My children have never forgotten that one of the first things we saw when leaving the airport was a live elephant in the back of a pick up truck.
    I’ve been here once before but that was “just a series of luxury hotels and exclusive tea plantations” - all very nice but I didn’t really see much of the real country. My assignments require me to be a bit more adventurous this time, tho right now I am clearly
    enjoying the faded British colonial grandeur of the Galle Face. Easing myself in, as it were
    There are a few eco lodges. If you want something really basic and "in it" - and wonderful for it - go to the Polwaththa Eco Lodge near Kandy:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g304138-d1886710-Reviews-Polwaththa_Eco_Lodges-Kandy_Kandy_District_Central_Province.html

So which airline provided the Business Class?

And which champagnes did you get?
    Never flown business class and not keen on champagne. Rather have a mug of tea.

I do like eco lodges as they tend to put you in the best locations if you like nature. Some are faux though, marketing gimmicks really - need to do your research.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Nigelb said:

glw said:

It's the UK government and the Indians calling the shots - Eutelsat is getting grief from certain quarters in the EU for "defecting" to a non-European constellation. Particularly now it is clear that they are not gong to use either European launchers or launchers provided via Europe (the Russian connection).

I love the way OneWeb has gone from a bad investment when the UK government bailed them out, to a good investment once other companies and countries jumped in but also now no longer anything to do with the UK government. It's almost as though the critics were basing the views on their opinion of the government rather than any merits of the technology and the financial investment.
    I don't think that's quite right, since the whole conversation started up with someone blaming HMG for supporting Russian launch services, which isn't the case - and it's very clear that we are now a minority shareholder in what looks to be a gamble that paid off.

I'm quite happy to admit I was a sceptic at the time and have been proved wrong.
    That was Dura Ace misanthrop-ing :smile: . IIRC.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Mrs DA just asked if I had put 'car stuff' in the oven while sniffing the air suspiciously. I had - Porsche 924 front hubs for bearing installation. I said that I took the allegations very seriously but the appropriate thing to was to let Sue Gray finish the investigation before commenting. She went fucking mad. IT DOESN'T WORK!

Happy days.
    Before my partner moved in I had a 748 in the living room and a 900ss engine in its frame in a spare bedroom. Can't even clean an engine cover in the dishwasher now.
    I have to accept that there are dishwasher protocols that will forever be mysterious to me. 'But there weren't any dishes in with it' not an acceptable defence apparently.
    The best thing about dishwashers is that they use so much less water and energy than doing dishes by hand.

One for car parts ?
    Dishwashers are very good for getting road bike tyres to just the right temperature to make them easy to install without levers if you don't want fuck up your carbon fibre rims. If your rims aren't carbon fibre then have a fucking word with yourself.
    We have a bunch of local cyclists who I call The Fat Men On Fixies. Because they are. At speed (always downhill) the resemblance to a collection of Zeppelins/Whitcomb Bodies is remarkable.

I think they should concentrate on losing 30 kilos each, before they spend 5 figures on a bike which they can't ride, and causing collisions with pedestrians and other cyclists....
    You'll find that spending time on those bikes is highly correlated with losing those 30kg.

Every time I see a fat man on a bike I see one fewer hospital bed filled, one more granddad looking after the kids, one fewer car on the road. Probably find the patter in those big pelotons fends off some mental health issues, too.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    edited January 2022

Where did you see that? Link?

BBC thinks he's British:
    https://bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60066710
  • delete

Hilarious!

This was presumably the Anglo-Saxon English of the period? Perhaps she should give us an example?
    I deleted it because on reflection I considered even Greene couldn't be that stupid, which seems to be the case. I think the meme started in replies to her assertion that "The American People invented electricity, automobiles, airplanes, televisions, cellphones, and virtually every other incredible invention before social media.”
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

They lost - which I suspect is his point.

Emma actually did well given that she was playing injured and Murray's career is reaching it's end.

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

And if the PM’s PPS has any sense, he would have realised that the gathering might be controversial, and ensure that nothing was said to him about it in writing.
    If he had that much sense the actual invite would have been word of mouth though (not difficult if all invitees in same building, all the more important if all not in same building) so he hasn't

I have never been a Prime Minister, or at least not in the email era, but I'd believe someone who told me that PMs don't receive emails at all and the closest you can ever get is emailing the pps. Seems sense to have someone doing some gatekeeping
    I’ve never been a Prime Minister either - but I have been the IT guy who set up secondary phone numbers and email addresses for senior executives, with the regularly listed details for them going instead to their PA.

They generally don’t want to know the details of every single transaction going on within the company, and there’s sure as hell quite a bit of stuff they’d rather not know about - if only that they can answer truthfully, when questioned later, as to their knowledge of the subject.
    Yes sure. The one thing that a PM or chief exec must avoid at all costs is information overload, hence the whole cabinet office being there to decide what's in the Red Box and what not. Perhaps the PPS and Carrie know a bojo email address but is this something you'd email him about if you are in the same building?

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

Well...given the level of analysis they do every day on the players, it could have been they saw a drop off in output and presumed perhaps they were infected but not yet showing symptoms or were asymptotic carriers.

I remember Alex Dowsett the cyclist saying that is what happened when he caught COVID. For 2-3 days before he showed any symptoms all his numbers were down and at the time couldn't really understand it, as he felt fine but when he downloaded his data from his training they were significantly reduced output in power vs heart rate etc.
    They seemed fine the day before when the drew 2-2 at Chelsea. And the tests were done at the training ground gates (i.e. you don't want to wait until they're all inside mixing).
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042

The noon news is just so embarrassing with the Speaker making a statement about allegations of blackmail of conservative mps

Will someone (54 of you) please put an end to this depressing moment for our country by disposing Boris Johnson now

I think you mean deposing. :lol:
    Either is fine.
    When I wrote that, BigG's post had a typo and he'd written 'despising'.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

It's a sad, but also richly entertaining, day when a senior Tory backbencher encourages his colleagues to go to the Metropolitan Police and seek a criminal charge of blackmail against government ministers.

I am not entertained. I'm extremely worried. This has the risk of turning into a generation-level crisis.
    I think I'm just about done with the Conservatives for life now. I don't see a way back for me now. Previously I thought it was just a case of we needed to get Boris and his small group toxic idiots out, but it's much more profound now.
    I love you HY. You are the ideal opponent. You really go the extra mile to make prospective supporters flee in the opposite direction. It is a pleasure to see you in action.
    Farooq has never expressed a single conservative view on here as far as I can see, it would not be a Conservative party if he ever voted for it
    I’m centre-right, and indeed have served as a councillor for a centre-right party. Go on, just as a wee exercise, try to persuade me to vote Scottish Conservative and Unionist.
    If Scotland were independent would you vote Scottish Centre-Right Party?
    Almost certainly.

In fact I’d not only vote for them, I’m pretty sure I’d be a paid-up member.
    Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

Surely, by definition, a false positive is a test that returns a positive result when the person is actually negative.
    No, false positive is a technical term for the small number of times a legitimate test will give the wrong result in the positive direction.

These tests were simply garbage.
    Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?
    We have a bunch of local cyclists who I call The Fat Men On Fixies. Because they are. At speed (always downhill) the resemblance to a collection of Zeppelins/Whitcomb Bodies is remarkable.

I think they should concentrate on losing 30 kilos each, before they spend 5 figures on a bike which they can't ride, and causing collisions with pedestrians and other cyclists....
    You'll find that spending time on those bikes is highly correlated with losing those 30kg.

Every time I see a fat man on a bike I see one fewer hospital bed filled, one more granddad looking after the kids, one fewer car on the road. Probably find the patter in those big pelotons fends off some mental health issues, too.
    Well, they've been around for a quite a while, and aren't getting any smaller. Or any better at riding the bikes.

Unlike, for example, a local lady who took up cycling in the lockdown. She started out wobbling along on her Boris Bike.... a couple of years later, much reduced in volume, she is hammering round Richmond Park on Saturday mornings with a serious cycling club.
    eek said:

Emma actually did well given that she was playing injured and Murray's career is reaching it's end.

And I am trying to flag up his strawman argument, and that no-one refers to Murray as a Scot in defeat and British in victory.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

What is the distinction?

Its funny because when this was discussed when Klopp made those remarks, people were saying here that false negatives were more likely and the only way to get so many false positives is faulty tests.

Now we know the tests were faulty, suddenly they're not false negatives by definition? Despite that previously being claimed to be the only way to get so many false negatives?

Faulty results are false results. If a test is saying negative when the person is positive due to a fault, then the test is giving a false result and vice-versa in this instance.

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?
    It doesn't state anywhere on my Apollo Highway whether the rims are carbon fibre. Should I assume no.
    He's talking about stuff like this - https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/s-works-tarmac-sl7---sram-red-etap-axs/p/199464?color=321600-199464 - I think

The great thing about buying cheap performance cars is that you get the opportunity to spend more than the cost of a brand new one over the next five years keeping the cheap one on the road.

Unless you are like a chap I met, who was extremely happy to dismantle and rebuild his 1980s Countach every other weekend. In fact, I think the driving bit wasn't the bit he was interested in, really.
    I usually buy depreciated but still good condition cars, and models which are known to be reliable and have plenty of spares available. Yes, make sure you put a few quid a month into the maintainance fund, but still a lot less than you’d put into the depreciation and interest payments on a new car.

A Countach definitely comes under “Don’t meet your heroes”, though, they’re terrible to drive and hideously unreliable, finish more journeys on the back of a truck than arriving under their own power, and spend months at a time unserviceable because of some part on back order - but still looked lovely on that teenage boy’s bedroom wall in 1988!
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

Um... it's complicated. DYOR about her career history

They can both be the problem
    She may have been sacked from one job for lying, but the matter is contested. Boris was definitely sacked twice for lying. A pretty disappointing pair to be in 10DS, but Boris still looks like the more problematic one.

Here’s an idea: what about we get someone who’s definitely never been sacked for lying and put them in charge?
  • I see that Andrew Murray is Scottish again today.

She's still British apparently because she gave a good account of herself one handed. Coincidentally Leon...
  • The noon news is just so embarrassing with the Speaker making a statement about allegations of blackmail of conservative mps

Will someone (54 of you) please put an end to this depressing moment for our country by disposing Boris Johnson now

Either is fine.
    Despising the PM is a perfectly rational view as well, if not as effective as disposing or deposing perhaps.

BBC thinks he's British:
    https://bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60066710
    And always will be: https://twitter.com/TheAMO/status/752227858420989952
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Almost certainly.

Is there a pro-Scindy centre-right party? Has one ever existed?

(It seems odd if it doesn't)
    edited January 2022
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

They seemed fine the day before when the drew 2-2 at Chelsea. And the tests were done at the training ground gates (i.e. you don't want to wait until they're all inside mixing).
    They could definitely have seen from that data though that several players output was down and perhaps they over reacted and ordered tests?

Just speculating, given we do know that every element of EPL player are now tracked, to the extent they now get in game warnings of drop off. Bielsa has a smart watch that pings him when a players stats have gone outside a certain range in game.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458
    Heathener said:

This is all beginning to look very, very, very bad for the Conservative Party. It's beginning to eclipse 1992-7 and that's saying something.

This is not a partisan message. I thought Corbyn was a disgusting anti-semitic misogynist who made Labour pure poison to the electorate.

But the news coming out today is appalling all round for the tories. If they don't get rid of Johnson very soon and very clinically they're in deep trouble come 2024. I think the damage may already be irreparable.

Corbyn a misogynist? That's a new one on me.
    Otherwise, I tend to agree.
    tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

No, false positive is a technical term for the small number of times a legitimate test will give the wrong result in the positive direction.

How do you know what is a legitimate test?
  • Heathener said:

The question is: is this Black Wednesday or Andy Coulson? Both caused a massive media storm at the time (the latter perhaps more so), had Labour thinking it had been given a deliverance, and looked to topple a prime minister. But one had no lasting political significance whatsoever.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

What is the distinction?

Its funny because when this was discussed when Klopp made those remarks, people were saying here that false negatives were more likely and the only way to get so many false positives is faulty tests.

Now we know the tests were faulty, suddenly they're not false negatives by definition? Despite that previously being claimed to be the only way to get so many false negatives?

Faulty results are false results. If a test is saying negative when the person is positive due to a fault, then the test is giving a false result and vice-versa in this instance.
    As has been explained a million and one times, "false positive" is a technical term relating to the very small number of legitimate tests that come back positive when they shouldn't.

All Liverpool had to do was to put out a statement clarifying the situation, but they obviously didn't want to draw attention to the fact that they got a load of dodgy tests done despite the LFTs showing negatives.

The noon news is just so embarrassing with the Speaker making a statement about allegations of blackmail of conservative mps

Either is fine.
    Despising the PM is a perfectly rational view as well, if not as effective as disposing or deposing perhaps.
    Why not all of them?

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

Agreed – the opprobrium she receives on here is more than faintly sexist. Boris is master of his own destiny – he is the one who caused this. Blaming his wife is pathetic.
    I wonder why she lost her job in 2018

Nobody that I have ever seen is blaming her for Boris's failings. This is the 21st century and she deserves recognition as an utterly loathsome human being in her own right

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

They could definitely have seen from that data though that several players output was down and perhaps they over reacted and ordered tests?

Just speculating, given we do know that every element of EPL player are now tracked, to the extent they now get in game warnings of drop off. Bielsa has a smart watch that pings him when a players stats have gone outside a certain range in game.
    The Athletic article seems to think that what got Liverpool using BioGrad was the experience of Aston Villa when they called off their game with Burnley just two hours before kick off. Basically Liverpool wanted to stay ahead of the game but it sounds like BioGrad are more like BioBad.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Almost certainly.

The SNP for a fair bit of its history, Alba now.

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

The problem is that Boris decided to let his wife interfere in everything, to the point that no-one wants the senior advisor job that’s been vacant pretty much since Cummings left. Yes, of course the PM is ultimately the person responsible for the situation.

Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

Well, they've been around for a quite a while, and aren't getting any smaller. Or any better at riding the bikes.

Unlike, for example, a local lady who took up cycling in the lockdown. She started out wobbling along on her Boris Bike.... a couple of years later, much reduced in volume, she is hammering round Richmond Park on Saturday mornings with a serious cycling club.
    Well they would've been even fatter then!

I say this having got a road bike in the last year (no carbon rims, just a fork ;) ) and promptly smashing into the back of a Nissan Micra at 50 kph. You don't have much traction in the wet...
    Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

I don't know, but I guess it comes down to statistical probabilities. The fact that all these players that were positive according to BioGrad were then twice shown to be negative on Prenetics is proof that the BioGrad tests were rubbish.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911

Is DRoss still nominally a Conservative? Because he seems to be an opposition spokesman these days. What does he and Wragg and Davies and the others have to do to get Ken Clark'd out of the party?

I may be misremembering, but I thought that under the FTPA which I think held at the time, only an explicit confidence vote under that Act could be considered a confidence vote, in the sense of triggering a dissolution of Parliament. So it might have been "termed" a confidence vote, but it wasn't one. Apologies if I've remembered this wrong, it feels like a different era lost in the mists of time now (when the Tory party could provide a home for honest and sane MPs).
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

If what has happened so far doesn't sink Boris, the key remaining date is the alleged Cummings sacking flat party on, iirc, 16th November. Carrie could possibly be a more direct player in that one.
  • tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

I don't know, but I guess it comes down to statistical probabilities. The fact that all these players that were positive according to BioGrad were then twice shown to be negative on Prenetics is proof that the BioGrad tests were rubbish.
    And giving false positives.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

I usually buy depreciated but still good condition cars, and models which are known to be reliable and have plenty of spares available. Yes, make sure you put a few quid a month into the maintainance fund, but still a lot less than you’d put into the depreciation and interest payments on a new car.

A Countach definitely comes under “Don’t meet your heroes”, though, they’re terrible to drive and hideously unreliable, finish more journeys on the back of a truck than arriving under their own power, and spend months at a time unserviceable because of some part on back order - but still looked lovely on that teenage boy’s bedroom wall in 1988!
    My favourite moment was when he lifted the engine cover to reveal that the chassis was built from badly welded scaffolding pole. It really does look like that.... the welds... Jesus. I did better on the first day of my welding course.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Almost certainly.

There’s the Scottish Libertarian Party? They currently have 1 councillor. There’s Restore Scotland. Maybe they’re both too right-wing.

There’s the Scottish Democratic Alliance: perhaps they’re the closest to your ask.

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

Wrong.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

Wrong.
    I'm not sure how restricting the term "false positive" to merely a subset of "tests that are positive but shouldn't be" is helpful to the layperson.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

Wrong.
    This is clearly a slightly semantic argument. In effect the positives were 'false', the reasons why suggest that the kits/testing were faulty, rather than being a 'genuine' false positive, but the outcome is the same.
    I think Liverpool are at fault for going outside the league's testing regime.
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

I say this having got a road bike in the last year (no carbon rims, just a fork ;) ) and promptly smashing into the back of a Nissan Micra at 50 kph. You don't have much traction in the wet...
    The phenomenon of people doing a bit of gym work etc and then trebling their calorie intake, is quite common. As is the apparent surprise at the result.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

Wrong.
    Right.

I'm sorry if you're trying to insert an unusual separate technical meaning into the term but the media has always used the term "false positive" or "false negative" to include faulty results. See this story that was major news and people roundly used the term false negative for a long time regarding it: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covid-tests-false-negatives-government-testing-site-b960631.html

If you have a separate technical meaning then that's fine for you, but its not normal language and never has been. Faulty results are false results, whether you like it or not.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

The phenomenon of people doing a bit of gym work etc and then trebling their calorie intake, is quite common. As is the apparent surprise at the result.
    This is true. A mars bar = 5k run.

But still, getting people off the sofa is always a good thing.
  • mickydroymickydroy Posts: 232

Heathener said:

The question is: is this Black Wednesday or Andy Coulson? Both caused a massive media storm at the time (the latter perhaps more so), had Labour thinking it had been given a deliverance, and looked to topple a prime minister. But one had no lasting political significance whatsoever.
    I was no fan of Corbyn, a very stupid back bencher, who if he had ever had designs on becoming leader, would never got involved in the things he did, naive at best, dangerous extremist at worse. At the 2019 GE what a shocking choice we had, in my eyes both totally unsuited to being P.M. Now the choice is easier, Starmer or Johnson if he stays, I think people are warming to Starmer, but I dont see 1997 all over again

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

Yes Boris Johnson was dysfunctional, chaotic, shambolic, mendacious, opportunistic, arrogant etc. long long before he met or heard of Carrie Symonds.
    mickydroy said:

Heathener said:

but I dont see 1997 all over again
    Then you've completely misjudged the visceral anger in the country
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

Didn't Jeremy Clarkson give away his Ferrari in a competition warning the winner how much they would have to spend each year in maintenance to keep it on the road.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

That's hyperbole, but the general point holds. I made the "an extra Kit Kat Chunky oh the way home won't hurt" mistake. For about twenty years.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Imagine May having one of her top aides, supposedly without her knowledge, sending round an email suggesting everyone meet in the back garden with as much booze as they could squeeze into a bag for life, to blow off a little steam in the middle of a pandemic.

Imagine that she, keen to get a bit of air after a Zoom COBRA session with her top team, happened upon it. What do you think she would have done? Would she have pulled up a chair and put in a call to Philip, asking him to bring down the bottle of Bollinger they’d been keeping in the fridge and join them? Or would she have delivered the sort of b******ing that would make a teetotaller of anyone in range? I’m betting on the latter.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/partygate-downing-street-theresa-may-b1997124.html
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926
    Eabhal said:

Bike technology has improved a lot over the years -- my current main bike has hydraulic disk brakes and is much better at stopping in the wet than my 1970s vintage Raleigh with rim brakes on steel rims...
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

Then Sir will be needing this...

https://www.misterworker.com/en/stahlwille/tool-set-for-porsche-1100-tcs/9259.html

You might as well get both the VW/Audi sets and the BMW set too.
  • @tlg86 "false negative" being used to refer to faulty negative results by:

The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/15/public-urged-to-retake-covid-tests-after-false-negatives-in-berkshire
    The BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58921280
    Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-lab-suspended-after-false-negative-covid-tests-2021-10-15/

And even the BMJ: https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2535

If its good enough to use the term false by the British Medical Journal, British Broadcasting Corporation, Reuters and The Guardian then I fail to see why Liverpool Football Club should be held to a higher standard.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,746
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Almost certainly.

There’s the Scottish Libertarian Party? They currently have 1 councillor. There’s Restore Scotland. Maybe they’re both too right-wing.

There’s the Scottish Democratic Alliance: perhaps they’re the closest to your ask.
    All 3 parties are quite strongly pro Brexit, a tricky small pool to paddle in.
  • Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

Currently eating a king sized mars bar.....puts down mars bar....

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

Wrong.
    Right.

I'm sorry if you're trying to insert an unusual separate technical meaning into the term but the media has always used the term "false positive" or "false negative" to include faulty results. See this story that was major news and people roundly used the term false negative for a long time regarding it: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covid-tests-false-negatives-government-testing-site-b960631.html

If you have a separate technical meaning then that's fine for you, but its not normal language and never has been. Faulty results are false results, whether you like it or not.
    The Standard were wrong to say false negatives.
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

Yes Boris Johnson was dysfunctional, chaotic, shambolic, mendacious, opportunistic, arrogant etc. long long before he met or heard of Carrie Symonds.
    And anyone who married him, knowing all that in a great deal more detail than you do, is .... what?
    mickydroy said:

Heathener said:

I was no fan of Corbyn, a very stupid back bencher, who if he had ever had designs on becoming leader, would never got involved in the things he did, naive at best, dangerous extremist at worse. At the 2019 GE what a shocking choice we had, in my eyes both totally unsuited to being P.M. Now the choice is easier, Starmer or Johnson if he stays, I think people are warming to Starmer, but I dont see 1997 all over again
    Its the age old issue. Starmer and Labour have had no scrutiny as yet. And that's fine, that's the electoral cycle. No-one expects them to put out their manifesto now. The change in the polling has almost all been down to the screw ups and hypocrisy from the government. By the next election Starmer may have built a superb government in waiting, have a raft of attractive policies ready to push the button on on day 1, and it will be 1997 all over again. However there are reasons to suspect it won't be quite the same. The labour has the similar issue that the Tories do - there seems to be a serious lack of talent. The party is still trying to rid itself of the unelectable Corbynite wing. And lastly its hard to see Labour winning much in Scotland against the SNP. That might not matter - its plausible that Labour can win a majority just with English and Welsh seats, but its much harder.
    Things certainly seem very different from where they were a few months ago. Its unlikely that Johnson can return to the position he held before. He's been fully exposed now*. But another leader could certainly change the narrative.

*Apologies for those thinking of a fully exposed Johnson...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

Yes, mocking the overweight for exercising is not a good look.

@tlg86 "false negative" being used to refer to faulty negative results by:

The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/15/public-urged-to-retake-covid-tests-after-false-negatives-in-berkshire
    Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-lab-suspended-after-false-negative-covid-tests-2021-10-15/

If its good enough to use the term false by the British Medical Journal, British Broadcasting Corporation, Reuters and The Guardian then I fail to see why Liverpool Football Club should be held to a higher standard.

To be fair to those stories, at least they explain what was going on.

Liverpool did not come clean. Had they done, then there wouldn't be suspicions around just exactly why they were getting their players tested with a dodgy company.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,449
    edited January 2022

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

FWIW I think a standard mars bar is closer to a 3k run depending mostly on the mix of speed vs weight.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

The Michelin Men, surely?
    True dat.

Come to think of it, I think that some of them aren't actually riding fixies. Probably got the bluetooth controlled gear system though... hmmmm bluetooth hacking.... {Hot Fuzz} IDEA! {/Hot Fuzz}
    SRAM eTap uses ANT+, Shimano Di2 (12 speed only) uses their own undisclosed proprietary protocol and Campag EPS is still 100% wired because SRAM and Shimano would crush them with patent infringements.
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

Yes, mocking the overweight for exercising is not a good look.
    Mocking moron for creating a hazard to everyone (including themselves) is duty.

If they were actually exercising they would have reduced in volume by now.
    edited January 2022

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

FWIW I think a standard mars bar is closer to a 3k run depending mostly on the mix of speed vs weight.
    Oh thats ok then, gobbles the rest of it down :-)
    tlg86 said:

Liverpool did not come clean. Had they done, then there wouldn't be suspicions around just exactly why they were getting their players tested with a dodgy company.
    Are they "a dodgy company"? Or did they just return a bad batch of results for a high-profile client?

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

A

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

One for car parts ?

I'm sure it happens but generally if people have made the (big) decision to go to a gym then they will have in their minds adapted to a new regime which includes reduced or similar calorie intake. A slob doesn't all of a sudden decide to go to the gym so he can have a family pack of Wotsits on the way home.

I appreciate that there is the phenomenon of working out so I can have a Mars Bar but this usually means a short-lived gym experience.
    edited January 2022
    The NFL had an early experience using a "dodgy" testing company, lax standards led to cross contaminating a load of tests and ended up returning masses of positive tests across 3-4 teams.
    pm215 said:

Eabhal said:

Bike technology has improved a lot over the years -- my current main bike has hydraulic disk brakes and is much better at stopping in the wet than my 1970s vintage Raleigh with rim brakes on steel rims...
    "my current main bike"
  • eek said:

And I am trying to flag up his strawman argument, and that no-one refers to Murray as a Scot in defeat and British in victory.
    Out of date but some numbers to the press coverage of the British former world number 1 aka that Scot who lost in the second round.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-34909845

How do you know it was used by the BBC.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    edited January 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Surely attributable proof for Ms Gray is testimony from the half a dozen people plus who, having sent or received these emails would have had a brief conversation with the PM. If they didn't inform the PM, what was their function or where was he that they couldn't brief him?

The absurdity of Johnson's defence is mind boggling to the point that the only one of the 67 million citizens of the UK that believe Johnson was kept in the dark about parties is Johnson himself. Perhaps he is correct and he was not briefed, because the assumption was made that having been party to constructing the rules he might have remembered why they were made, and what (roughly) they stated.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Athletic UK
    @TheAthleticUK

📝
    @Simon_Hughes__

From the Athletic:

A sufficiently large set of data on any given test. Like the ones distributed by HMG.
  • TOPPING said:

Because I put false negative Covid into Google and those were a sample of the results returned by Google.

I didn't have bookmarked articles by the Guardian, BBC, Reuters and BMJ that I read months ago and just happened to have the links to for this conversation.
    edited January 2022
    SRAM eTap uses ANT+, Shimano Di2 (12 speed only) uses their own undisclosed proprietary protocol and Campag EPS is still 100% wired because SRAM and Shimano would crush them with patent infringements.

Edit - I see @Dura_Ace got there before me.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,123
    edited January 2022

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

There's a good history of posts along the lines of "I'm a life long Tory but this particular scandal* is enough for me to permanently change my mind".

*scandals include Osborne once catching a train ...

Deal with them as you see fit.
    Unless you voted Conservative in 2019 or 2015 when the Conservatives won a majority and the country voted Tory, you are highly unlikely to ever vote Conservative.

So yes posters who do not come under the above category can be ignored if they say they will not be voting Tory as a result of this or that
    I have voted Con in every election since 1979 except 2005 (LD because Iraq). As of Air Petacci I would never vote for a Johnson government again, and if he is still in place at next PMQs it is highly unlikely I will vote Con again, at all.

You are a Leutnant fighting a desultory minor skirmish at 10 in the morning, 11/11/18
    Hmm. Doesn't mean there won't be casualties. I was clearing a relative's house a few years back and found one of those War Office brown envelopes. Dear Madam, your husband etc etc was shot in the knee on 10 November 1918 ... blah, blah, in hospital ... He survived and became the local bank manager.
    I bet the overdraft facilities got a lot tighter when the damp weather came in to give his knee gyp. Not to mention the memories..
    Quite. One wonders. But he died before I was old enough to reemember him, and his widow had died decades before I saw this - and of course her relative (mum's cousin) had died before I saw it, as it was her house we were clearing. Only hope is trhe boxes full of family history she left behind and which I have yet to work through.

TOPPING said:

Because I put false negative Covid into Google and those were a sample of the results returned by Google.

I didn't have bookmarked articles by the Guardian, BBC, Reuters and BMJ that I read months ago and just happened to have the links to for this conversation.
    Hmm. Did you look on the bbc website to verify?
  • tlg86 said:

Now you're just being silly.

If its OK for the BMJ to use the term 'false negative' with respect to faulty negatives I see no reason why its remotely absurd for Jurgen Klopp to use the term 'false positives'.

Are you seriously going to try to hold Klopp to a higher standard of medical terminological usage than the BMJ?
  • IshmaelZ said:
    A pedant writes: the Telegraph could have put a dot in 9.3pc in the URL.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Hmm. Did you look on the bbc website to verify?
    Did you click the link?
This discussion has been closed.