Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters give Johnson just a 32% chance of surviving 2022 – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited January 2022 in General
imagePunters give Johnson just a 32% chance of surviving 2022 – politicalbetting.com

One thing that the events of this week has reinforced in my mind is how tough it can be to get rid of a PM who is really determined to stay. The current incumbent is not going to go quietly and will use everything in his considerable armory to hang in there.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    Eyes Hearing a senior MP is due to make a scathing intervention in the partygate scandal this morning… standby for potential sparks to fly.
    9:16 am · 20 Jan 2022·Twitter for iPhone
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited January 2022
    2nd.

FPT:
    eek said:

Regarding Energy prices

Simon Evans
    @DrSimEvans
    NEW

Analysis: Nearly 90% of the rise in UK household energy bills is due to wholesale gas prices

The rest is mainly paying for supplier failures, whereas climate policy costs are falling

https://carbonbrief.org/analysis-cutting-the-green-crap-has-added-2-5bn-to-uk-energy-bills

Which means it's possible that Gas prices won't increase much from September onwards (remember the April and September price rises are almost baked in now) provided we can import enough from none Russian sources.

That link is quite a good piece.

Though the "baked in" price rises can be baked out again with a quick formula adjustment.

And they don't really take account of new electricity capacity coming down the track in the UK this year imo.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Whoever Kovinic beat in the first round must have had a mare - Radacanu is making a decent fist of her with 1 hand.
  • Options
    Third, like the Lightweight in Scotland
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    Eyes Hearing a senior MP is due to make a scathing intervention in the partygate scandal this morning… standby for potential sparks to fly.

Hope so but that sort of oooh look at me I know something you don't thing hardly ever comes good, and conversely stuff like Davis, wakeford, and anything from cummings is usually unheralded

My Johnson to go by x positions not looking healthy this morning
  • Options

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV

Also "scathing intervention" = "What are we meant to use, harsh language?"
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,901
    edited January 2022
    Breaking:

William Wragg accuses government of blackmail & intimidation over treatment of Tory rebels

He urges rebels to go to the police

He accuses Govt of breaching ministerial code by threatening to withdraw investments in constituencies

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1484104316164186115
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,158

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV

More clickbait.
  • Options
    Will Wragg's Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee oversees the work of the cabinet office, including No 10.

This is a serious accusation that the ministerial code has been breached. Understand Wragg is also concerned the law may have been broken.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1484104667042926592
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Scott_xP said:

Will Wragg's Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee oversees the work of the cabinet office, including No 10.

This is a serious accusation that the ministerial code has been breached. Understand Wragg is also concerned the law may have been broken.

I'm sure Cressida will rush to investigate.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Wragg again, beyond his years. It's as if he's been there since 1995.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,971
    Anyone who thinks train ticket pricing in the UK is complex - wait to you see the alternatives

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Normandy-trains-prices-vary-depending-on-the-ticket-machine-you-use#.Yekmy_BiNy8.twitter
  • Options
    On topic: The ever-perceptive @AlastairMeeks has I think got this right in a tweet:

An exclusive preview of the Sue Gray report.

It will say: there were parties
    The PM attended one or more
    He was, it seems, told what was going on but tells me he didn't appreciate what was said
    There should not have been parties

MPs can decide now what they want to do next.

The only thing which I'd add is that it's of course possible that she will have found one or more emails which directly contradict the PM's account of things, and that would make it harder for Tory MPs to find excuses for Boris.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,555
    Taz said:

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV

More clickbait.
    That aged well.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Whoever Kovinic beat in the first round must have had a mare - Radacanu is making a decent fist of her with 1 hand.

That finger is very tender given the way Raducanu just doubled up in pain while it was being worked on.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Whips threatening to leak damaging stories about MPs in order to get their votes in parliament?

I am shocked. Shocked to the core.

It's only been standard procedure for about 300 years.
  • Options
    Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    · 5m
    Breaking:

William Wragg accuses government of blackmail & intimidation over treatment of Tory rebels

He accuses Govt of breaching ministerial code by threatening to withdraw investments in constituencies

Hands up anyone who is surprised by this tactic...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    At some point Cummings is going to run out of ammunition. Have we reached that point? I'm looking at BF's 4.5 on Johnson's exit date 2024 or later and thinking there may be some value there.
  • Options

Whips threatening to leak damaging stories about MPs in order to get their votes in parliament?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    I do wonder if he'll hold on, given the feeble pussyfooting of Conservative MPs.

Why wait for the report? You know the PM's full of shit. You know the electorate hate that. You know the contrast with the Queen is terrible for him.

Stop prevaricating and get rid of him.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

That finger is very tender given the way Raducanu just doubled up in pain while it was being worked on.
    Hard to see her winning, or getting right for the next round if she did, but this has at least confirmed New York was no fluke and she is genuinely much much better than the career tour plodder class.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

On topic: The ever-perceptive @AlastairMeeks has I think got this right in a tweet:

He was, it seems, told what was going on but tells me he didn't appreciate what was said

The only thing which I'd add is that it's of course possible that she will have found one or more emails which directly contradict the PM's account of things, and that would make it harder for Tory MPs to find excuses for Boris.

She will only find emails if she goes searching for them (unlikely) or someone actually shows her an email they sent.

I suspect few people at No 10 are going to go that far.
  • Options
    Why didn't yer community get levelled up?
    Cause my MP didn't like Boris.
    Great narrative to go into the local election with.
    https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1484104935826407424
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,373
    boulay said:

I know in advance that this would never fly in reality but has anyone on the Ukraine side considered “selling” the areas of Ukraine that Russia wants to the Russians?

If they sold them (Alaska, Louisiana Purchase etc) to Russia on condition that they were demilitarised with defence guarantees for each side they could be quasi-autonomous (Hong Kong) and honour could be served.

Ukraine gets a large sum of money, guarantees on gas supply, those Ukrainians who consider themselves Russian can move to these areas should they wish and the Russian gov can compensate whilst Ukrainians who don’t consider themselves Russian can be compensated to move.

I know Indian partition doesn’t give the best precedent but surely better than a war?

The Russians look “reasonable” and get what they want without the cost of war in blood and treasure, Ukraine gets energy security, security, shit loads of money.

And for those who say “why should we leave our homes because the Russians want our land - I get it but surely it’s better getting a load of cash and moving then either getting killed in a war, living in a war zone indefinitely or ultimately ending up in a part of Russia when you hate Russia.

Everyone’s a winner…..

Well, that was what a lot of people were telling Czechoslovakia to do, a while back.

The problem with feeding the tigers, is that the tigers get to like being fed by you. When you run out of food....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2022

Yes, and this lot sound pretty ineffective. In the good old days, the whips threatened to expose MPs' visits to ladies in basement flats and gay sex encounters.
  • Options

There's aspects of "democracy" that linger for centuries and eventually end up where they belong in the dustbin of history. Check out your username.

The clever bit with doing this now is it hamstrings the whips when they want to turn up the heat in op save big dog part 2
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977

Well, since he's never heard of one of the more famous Parliamentary remarks, used at two crucial moments in history, and which, on the second occasion led to his hero being installed as PM he might well not have known what was going on.
  • Options
    If it's illegal to try and bribe people with what is effectively public funds, then the Labour party should be shut down for good.
  • Options
    NEW: @IpsosMORI finds Johnson’s favourability falls even further to -39 with 3 in 5 Brits now having an unfavourable opinion of him – Of his potential replacements, Rishi Sunak is +7, Sajid Javid is -8 and Liz Truss is at -16 with the public https://twitter.com/KellyIpsosMORI/status/1484106260408676354/photo/1
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    edited January 2022
    As an aside, put a little extra on Starmer next PM at 12. Bit shorter than yesterday, but a saver in case they bugger it up.

And, if they don't, I'll be able to hedge more on Sunak anyway.
  • Options

I do wonder if he'll hold on, given the feeble pussyfooting of Conservative MPs.

Why wait for the report? You know the PM's full of shit. You know the electorate hate that. You know the contrast with the Queen is terrible for him.

Stop prevaricating and get rid of him.

If only it was that easy but let's hope this report ends his premiership, one way or another
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: @IpsosMORI finds Johnson’s favourability falls even further to -39 with 3 in 5 Brits now having an unfavourable opinion of him – Of his potential replacements, Rishi Sunak is +7, Sajid Javid is -8 and Liz Truss is at -16 with the public https://twitter.com/KellyIpsosMORI/status/1484106260408676354/photo/1

I feel much better than I did 30 minutes ago
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2022
    Cancelled

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994
    Stocky said:

At some point Cummings is going to run out of ammunition. Have we reached that point? I'm looking at BF's 4.5 on Johnson's exit date 2024 or later and thinking there may be some value there.

What he says doesn't actually have to be true to work. People will believe just about any old shit about Johnson now and assume he's lying when he denies. In that sense Cummo can't run out of ammunition.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

I feel much better than I did 30 minutes ago
    And Starmer is -14 behind Sunak and Javid
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

There's aspects of "democracy" that linger for centuries and eventually end up where they belong in the dustbin of history. Check out your username.

The clever bit with doing this now is it hamstrings the whips when they want to turn up the heat in op save big dog part 2
    It's not been standard for 300 years.

One thing that is remarkable about the Napoleonic Wars, was that during that time, there was a large chunk of MPs (and other people) quite openly supporting Napoleon, in the UK. MPs were very free to do what they wanted....

The idea of whipping a party to conform to policy is much more recent - late 19th Cent. politics. Before then, there was haggling to buy the various factions, but the power of the "Government" was much less vs MPs.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501

Well, since he's never heard of one of the more famous Parliamentary remarks, used at two crucial moments in history, and which, on the second occasion led to his hero being installed as PM he might well not have known what was going on.
    Three crucial moments? :smiley:
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,688

I'm confused. I thought Mr Johnson wrote a biography of Churchill. Or was it Churchill the Insurance Dog?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

That's standard but threatening to cut funding in their constituencies is blackmail. It shows how hard Boris is clawing at the door frame of Number 10. I think he knows he's done but is having a toddler tantrum because his favourite toy is being taken away from him.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Actually fourth, both your post and Mr R as per some recent polling ...
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/KellyIpsosMORI/status/1484106264682586117

Johnson is also underwater with his own voters from 2019 with a -4 score while Sunak, Javid and Truss all have positive scores
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I'm confused. I thought Mr Johnson wrote a biography of Churchill. Or was it Churchill the Insurance Dog?
    Not half as confused as the PM!
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV

Senior MP? So, Johnson is going to come out and say "nah nah nah nah nah, you big bunch of jessies, I can do whatever I like and you lot are too weak and spineless to stop me"? :wink:
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Bring back isam!
  • Options
    Number 10 determined to fight a confidence vote if one comes. But Johnson loyalists in the Cabinet fear that 'if it goes to a vote, he's finished' https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/if-it-goes-to-a-vote-hes-finished-the-battle-to-save-boris
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV

Senior MP? So, Johnson is going to come out and say "nah nah nah nah nah, you big bunch of jessies, I can do whatever I like and you lot are too weak and spineless to stop me"? :wink:
    According to journalists, all MPs who criticise their own party are by definition "senior".
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV

Jam tomorrow?
  • Options

Selebian said:

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV

According to journalists, all MPs who criticise their own party are by definition "senior".
    Chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Select Committee is senior.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    MaxPB said:

That's standard but threatening to cut funding in their constituencies is blackmail. It shows how hard Boris is clawing at the door frame of Number 10. I think he knows he's done but is having a toddler tantrum because his favourite toy is being taken away from him.
    Rebels must be scared though. The threat has no consequence if you think you can get rid of Johnson. It only matters if you're unsure.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Selebian said:

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV

Chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Select Committee is senior.
    And that rubric would cover pissups in Government offices, too. And, for that matter, trying to commit regicide.
  • Options
    A senior Conservative MP has accused Number 10 of threatening him and other colleagues over their opposition to Boris Johnson as he urged anyone who had been "blackmailed" to contact the police.

William Wragg, who is chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee, told MPs that Number 10 staff, special advisers and government whips had said there would be embarrassing stories released to the press if they did not support the prime minister.

The MP also said Number 10 had threatened to withdraw funding to his and other backbenchers' constituencies if they did not withdraw their opposition to Mr Johnson.

He said "the intimidation of a member of parliament is a serious matter", adding: "The reports of which I'm aware would seem to constitute blackmail."

Number 10 has been contacted for a response.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-20/tory-mp-accuses-no10-of-threatening-to-withdraw-funding-over-opposition-to-pm
  • Options
    This doesn't strike me as the best rebuilding strategy - at best it buys a reprive with some waverers but it will alienate more MPs in the LR. Must be pretty intense/aggressive for a senior MP to go public like this criticising it. https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1484104935826407424

If there's one constant with Johnson's Number 10 operation, its pursuing the most aggressive strategy at every turn regardless of effectiveness/likelihood of success. That's how they ended up with a hostile 1922 chair, an angry standards committee and a lost by-election.

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1484110081188839425
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Number 10 determined to fight a confidence vote if one comes. But Johnson loyalists in the Cabinet fear that 'if it goes to a vote, he's finished' https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/if-it-goes-to-a-vote-hes-finished-the-battle-to-save-boris

There are loyalists? I suppose Boris and JRM, anyone else?
  • Options
    I understand Sue Gray has found the email from a senior official to PM’s principle private secretary Martin Reynolds warning him the 20 May party should not go ahead, as per Cummings’s revelation and my blog below. So huge…https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-17/why-the-mystery-partygate-email-mentioned-in-cummings-blog-really-matters
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Actually fourth, both your post and Mr R as per some recent polling ...
    Ignore, not completely awake this morning ...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I understand Sue Gray has found the email from a senior official to PM’s principle private secretary Martin Reynolds warning him the 20 May party should not go ahead, as per Cummings’s revelation and my blog below. So huge…https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-17/why-the-mystery-partygate-email-mentioned-in-cummings-blog-really-matters

Yep but that's Peston so is the story at all accurate.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,434
    eek said:

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    · 5m
    Breaking:

Hands up anyone who is surprised by this tactic...

It's surely significant that some MPs are evidently prepared to escalate further in order to tip Boris over the edge. Urging rebels to go to the police is pretty incendiary. It's real warfare now and no going back. Every time Boris looks like he might get a breather something else blows up. Eventually he must run out of cover to hide behind.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This doesn't strike me as the best rebuilding strategy - at best it buys a reprive with some waverers but it will alienate more MPs in the LR. Must be pretty intense/aggressive for a senior MP to go public like this criticising it. https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1484104935826407424

If there's one constant with Johnson's Number 10 operation, its pursuing the most aggressive strategy at every turn regardless of effectiveness/likelihood of success. That's how they ended up with a hostile 1922 chair, an angry standards committee and a lost by-election.

It's what happens if you think in terms of tactics and what keeps you alive another day. You can survive day-to-day for a lot of days. But not an infinite number of days.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

A senior Conservative MP has accused Number 10 of threatening him and other colleagues over their opposition to Boris Johnson as he urged anyone who had been "blackmailed" to contact the police.

William Wragg, who is chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee, told MPs that Number 10 staff, special advisers and government whips had said there would be embarrassing stories released to the press if they did not support the prime minister.

The MP also said Number 10 had threatened to withdraw funding to his and other backbenchers' constituencies if they did not withdraw their opposition to Mr Johnson.

He said "the intimidation of a member of parliament is a serious matter", adding: "The reports of which I'm aware would seem to constitute blackmail."

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-20/tory-mp-accuses-no10-of-threatening-to-withdraw-funding-over-opposition-to-pm

When such a senior figure explicitly alleges blackmail one should expect the police to investigate. Of course they won't.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    It might be better for Boris to have a VONC now than in avoid it and face one in May when the Tories might see heavy losses on current polls, especially in London.

If a VONC is held now and he wins it he is safe for a year.

Portillo on GB news now says he thinks Boris is safer than yesterday. Davis looked pompous and Wakeford defecting has brought Tory unity
  • Options
    👀As many as five more Conservative MPs could follow Christian Wakeford to Labour.

A Labour source told The Times: “Christian started to become serious in October. There’s about five more in the equivalent of September at the moment.”

Not all of them are 2019ers https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1484111407423631366/photo/1
  • Options
    MattW said:

Three crucial moments? :smiley:
    'From the sublime to the ridiculous' rather sums up DD's use of it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It might be better for Boris to have a VONC now than in avoid it and face one in May when the Tories might see heavy losses on current polls, especially in London.

Portillo on GB news now says he thinks Boris is safer than yesterday. Davis looked pompous and Wakeford defecting has brought Tory unity

That 'year' is set in instant whip. The 1922 can change the rules, and will if they think it needed, as said several times by others on PB.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Fear, or know ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And the PM looked like an ill-tempered toddler, shouting all sorts of rubbish.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,286
    Cracking tennis on at the moment it seems.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

IshmaelZ said:

When such a senior figure explicitly alleges blackmail one should expect the police to investigate. Of course they won't.
    The police have done the square root of zero so far. "On your way, milord."
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

That 'year' is set in instant whip. The 1922 can change the rules, and will if they think it needed, as said several times by others on PB.
    I think Boris is probably as uninformed as HYUFD, and thinks 'if I can just hang on for a couple of weeks...'
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Fear, or know ?
    The VONC is a secret ballot so no amount of whipping will help and the payroll vote isn't bound to vote for Boris. A lot of what we're seeing is the payroll vote playing out the last days of Rome.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It's what happens if you think in terms of tactics and what keeps you alive another day. You can survive day-to-day for a lot of days. But not an infinite number of days.
    It also depends on having a fearful, weak and divided party (no not that type of party).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Wrong link?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Your link is to Monday's story, but the tweet is an update today

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1484109819183255552
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Of alternative Tory leaders to Boris, Sunak and Javid have higher net favourables than Starmer there with the public, Truss and Patel lower net favourables than Starmer however

https://twitter.com/KellyIpsosMORI/status/1484106260408676354?s=20
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

The police have done the square root of zero so far. "On your way, milord."
    We don't investigate poshos for things that have happened in the past, particularly if they have any connections to our bosses.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

PBers without fancy tellies can watch the tennis on the Betfair video stream. Other bookmakers are available.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Scott_xP said:

Breaking:

Yep. When a coup fails, the leaders and fellow travellers of that coup are in trouble, as the enemy is still in power and will be very cross.

Poor Pork Pie Woman! Poor Rishi!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

If Boris wins a VONC he also likely has a majority on the 1922
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Breaking:

Yep. When a coup fails, the leaders and fellow travellers of that coup are in trouble, as the enemy is still in power and will be very cross.

Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it Treason.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,286

TOPPING said:

PBers without fancy tellies can watch the tennis on the Betfair video stream. Other bookmakers are available.
    Great tip thanks
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Dorries
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The 1922 Committee arranges the rules around votes of no confidence and the first stage of a Conservative leadership contest. These rules are not published in the public domain. They can also be changed at any time by the 1922’s Executive Committee, in consultation with the Conservative Party Board, which consists of representatives from each section – voluntary, political and professional – of the party. For example, this means that the rule stating a new vote of no confidence cannot be triggered for 12 months could be removed with little to no notice.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/conservative-party-leadership-contests

I doubt he has a maj on the executive committee
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Boris surviving starting to look like value.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Scott_xP said:

Breaking:

Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it Treason.
    Exactly! So the options are hang them, pit them. Or burn them? 😕 Boris government are soooo ruthless, look what they done to Hammond, Guake etc.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited January 2022

Scott_xP said:

Dorries
    Yes, definitely a loyalist but she will be briefing it is all the fault of the BBC and the woke * rather than assessing the outcome of a confidence vote.

* It would not matter what the issue is, let alone the facts of the issue, for this to be her view.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Portillo behind the pace: Wragg, ipsos mori, email found
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The 1922 Committee arranges the rules around votes of no confidence and the first stage of a Conservative leadership contest. These rules are not published in the public domain. They can also be changed at any time by the 1922’s Executive Committee, in consultation with the Conservative Party Board, which consists of representatives from each section – voluntary, political and professional – of the party. For example, this means that the rule stating a new vote of no confidence cannot be triggered for 12 months could be removed with little to no notice.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/conservative-party-leadership-contests

The 1922 set the rules on a leadership ballot.

The rules on a VONC were set up under Hague though and can only be changed with the support of the party board as well as the 1922. If he wins a VONC, even narrowly, Boris almost certainly has a majority still on the 1922 too
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,632
    In new @ONS stats published today, we show that the UK is about mid-pack in the G7 in terms of labour #productivity.

UK is more productive than Japan and Canada, similar to (probably more than) Italy, probably less than Germany, and definitely less than France and the US.

https://twitter.com/joshmartin_ons/status/1484097380265996288?s=21
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

1922 discussing changing the rule to six months

If you think there is unity in the party then you are in dreamland
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    HYUFD said:

For about the 823rd time, May wasn't.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

In new @ONS stats published today, we show that the UK is about mid-pack in the G7 in terms of labour #productivity.

UK is more productive than Japan and Canada, similar to (probably more than) Italy, probably less than Germany, and definitely less than France and the US.

Less productive than the French?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The rules on a VONC were set up under Hague though and can only be changed with the support of the party board as well as the 1922. If he wins a VONC, even narrowly, Boris almost certainly has a majority still on the 1922 too
    So the institute for govt is wrong?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect that, unlike other leaders, if Johnson wins a VOC narrowly he would stay on even if just by one vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Of alternative Tory leaders to Boris, Sunak and Javid have higher net favourables than Starmer there with the public, Truss and Patel lower net favourables than Starmer however

https://twitter.com/KellyIpsosMORI/status/1484106260408676354?s=20
    Time for you to join those of us backing Rishi
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    tlg86 said:

Ha ha, it is one of those statistics that drives English people mad, but the French are incredibly productive. They achieve this in part by less productive people not working, however.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect that, unlike other leaders, if Johnson wins a VOC narrowly he would stay on even if just by one vote.
    And conduct a witch-hunt for those who threatened his position.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

tlg86 said:

Ha ha, it is one of those statistics that drives English people mad, but the French are incredibly productive. They achieve this in part by less productive people not working, however.
    Yes, that's the thing with productivity statistics. Cut the least productive (note: not necessarily least hard-working), and your productivity goes up.
  • Options
    NEW: Labour’s @AngelaRayner responds:

“These are grave & shocking accusations of bullying, blackmail & misuse of public money and must be investigated. That areas of our country will be starved of funding because MPs don't fall into line to prop up this failing PM is disgusting”

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1484115289260314626
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176
    tlg86 said:

Its all about measurement. How sure are we that we are comparing apples with apples? Just like Covid stats...

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

So the institute for govt is wrong?
    I wonder if a "1922 Cttee year" will join the "Scottish generation" in PB parlance.
This discussion has been closed.