Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Lords a-leaping – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,581
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Not sure these proposals are all that radical. As a Wiganer I distinctly remember being subject to random stop and search on suspicion of intention to attend a protest based purely on my starting location.
    Then we were told which parts of the country we could and couldn't travel to.
    But that was during the Strike and we weren't middle class. I don't remember a great deal of libertarian outrage at the time.

Not sure how proletarian one had to be. I remember one of the better political reminiscences on PB - alas I forget the name; about being a drinks company representative at that time, being stopped and encouraged to donate the contents of his boot to refresh the plod.
    No. Alas. Basically. Where you from? (And numberplates were a pretty big tell in those days).
    Turn around. You aren't free to travel around the country.
    Regardless of your intentions.
    Quite stunning it has been erased from the collective memory.
    Was just a tad more intrusive than having to wear a mask in Asda.
    And cheered to the rafters by the Right.
    The police behaved pretty disgracefully during the miner's strike. No reason to give them even more powers now.

I really hope this Bill dies a death. Having another leader but keeping the same bad laws is - to me - no better than putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

Maybe one or two of you will read the header. The stuff in the Bill may be dull compared to the No 10 comedy act but it is important.

Sigh......
    Oh, I did read it all right, never fear. Been a little bit overtaken by events (i.e. Ms Patel might get the heave-ho) but, as you say all too well, it remains a serious issue.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Chameleon said:

End of Plan B to be announced tomorrow, taking effect a week later. PM will hold cabinet meeting in the morning, then Commons statement after PMQs. Currently unclear whether he'll do a press conference.

Ooh, if Brady's announcement is a VoNC then tomorrow is going to be quite the day.
    Yes - it does look as though, if there's a VONC, Johnson is going to go down fighting rather than just quit. If he gets, say, 55% Stay vs 45% Go, do we think he'll then soldier on?
    Bloody hope so. I’ve got a lot of popcorn to get through.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Chameleon said:

End of Plan B to be announced tomorrow, taking effect a week later. PM will hold cabinet meeting in the morning, then Commons statement after PMQs. Currently unclear whether he'll do a press conference.

Ooh, if Brady's announcement is a VoNC then tomorrow is going to be quite the day.
    Yes - it does look as though, if there's a VONC, Johnson is going to go down fighting rather than just quit. If he gets, say, 55% Stay vs 45% Go, do we think he'll then soldier on?
    On those figures, he'd probably say that it settles matters for a generation.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,846
    A senior Tory MP tells @nicholaswatt that the balloon is about to go up and the target of 54 letters to trigger a vote of confidence will be met in the coming days.

But loyalists say the PM is still safe.

#Newsnight https://bbc.in/33P4zaT https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1483572966499794944/video/1
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

Chameleon said:

Absolutely. He would be safe for a year, well past the May locals onto the 2023 locals which will be better given the Tories only got 28% NEV in 2019 anyway.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Nadine, raging against the dying of the light...

Exclusive:

Nadine Dorries hits out at 'disloyal' plotters

'The people who are doing this are being disloyal to PM, the party, their constituents and to the wider country

'The only reason their constituents voted for them is because Boris Johnson was standing as PM'
    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1483566263435677700/photo/1

'Removing Boris Johnson will give us one thing: Keir Starmer as Prime Minister' says Nadine
    Why don't you just resign as a conservative as you are so full of negatively the party would not miss you and Dorries is a disaster and needs sending to the back benches

And I can take your place as I rejoin as Boris leaves
    I don't hate the Tory leader and PM unlike you.

I do not hate Boris but then I cannot support his behaviour over Paterson, wallpapergate and partygate, and the trashing of the conservative brand

You seem to be happy to predict years in opposition for the party so why not resign as you can hardly promote the party
    I am always loyal to the party, even in 2001 when you were happily voting Labour
    You voted for Plaid and you simply could not canvass for the party with a new leader in view of your statements
    Utter rubbish, you have spent the last few weeks trashing the party and its leader.

Plenty of Tories were loyal to Thatcher to the end in 1990, they still canvassed for Major in 1992
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Not sure these proposals are all that radical. As a Wiganer I distinctly remember being subject to random stop and search on suspicion of intention to attend a protest based purely on my starting location.
    But that was during the Strike and we weren't middle class. I don't remember a great deal of libertarian outrage at the time.

Not sure how proletarian one had to be. I remember one of the better political reminiscences on PB - alas I forget the name; about being a drinks company representative at that time, being stopped and encouraged to donate the contents of his boot to refresh the plod.
    No. Alas. Basically. Where you from? (And numberplates were a pretty big tell in those days).
    The police behaved pretty disgracefully during the miner's strike. No reason to give them even more powers now.

I really hope this Bill dies a death. Having another leader but keeping the same bad laws is - to me - no better than putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

Maybe one or two of you will read the header. The stuff in the Bill may be dull compared to the No 10 comedy act but it is important.

Sigh......
    With you there.
    This Bill is an outrage. As is the UC cut. The farrago of impractical bollocks about refugees. 10 years for statue bothering. Millions in contracts for mates and donors.
    I could go on and on and on.
    But consensus is Sunak as PM and the Tory Party will be restored to its rightful place as true and proper ruler of the land.
    Even though he voted happily for all this and more.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Chameleon said:

It will be 52-48. That is usually enough for Boris.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

'The people who are doing this are being disloyal to PM, the party, their constituents and to the wider country

'The only reason their constituents voted for them is because Boris Johnson was standing as PM'

'Removing Boris Johnson will give us one thing: Keir Starmer as Prime Minister' says Nadine
    Why don't you just resign as a conservative as you are so full of negatively the party would not miss you and Dorries is a disaster and needs sending to the back benches

I do not hate Boris but then I cannot support his behaviour over Paterson, wallpapergate and partygate, and the trashing of the conservative brand

You seem to be happy to predict years in opposition for the party so why not resign as you can hardly promote the party
    I am always loyal to the party, even in 2001 when you were happily voting Labour
    You voted for Plaid and you simply could not canvass for the party with a new leader in view of your statements
    I voted for every Tory on the ballot paper even then, you did not vote for the Tory candidate in 2001
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,431
    edited January 2022
    If there is a confidence vote I'd expect Johnson to win in by a similar sort of margin as the Theresa May vote in December 2018 which was 200-117 against a leadership election. Why? I still think most Sunak and Truss supporters don't want to take over just yet: they'd prefer the second half of the year.
  • Options
    On topic: Actually I think there is, or was until the Lords removed it, quite a lot of sensible stuff in the bill. Items 1, 2, 3 and 6 of the proposals listed in Ms Cyclefree's bullet points are very reasonable The last one is no different to existing and long-standing powers on football hooligans, is it? And stopping arrogant nutjobs disrupting roads, transport and construction because they don't like decisions taken in a democracy is well overdue; what they do is not protest, it is intimidation and wrecking.

Unfortunately the government has screwed up the mechanics of the legislation. Quite an achievement when they've got a majority of 80.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491

eek said:

OT Is George Osborne wondering what might have been, had he not chucked it all in?

I suspect Mr 10 jobs is looking at his bank balance and laughing
    Really?

Maybe it's me but I'd settle for £1m + being PM rather than £100m and no power.
    It looks to me that being PM isn't as much fun as it sounds. Our would be "World King" is only the latest in a long line to be trashed by the job.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,898

Called it.

EXC As many as 20 Tory MPs from the 2019 intake are planning to submit letters of no confidence in Boris Johnson tomorrow.

The number could breach the 54 letters required for a confidence vote. One 2019 Tory MP told me it could be the PM’s “D-Day”, adding: “His time has gone.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1483544039555321864

Whatever. If they are so keen to do it, why don’t they do it now?

Called it.

EXC As many as 20 Tory MPs from the 2019 intake are planning to submit letters of no confidence in Boris Johnson tomorrow.

The number could breach the 54 letters required for a confidence vote. One 2019 Tory MP told me it could be the PM’s “D-Day”, adding: “His time has gone.

Tad impatient. May looming bit too fast is it?
    Eh?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Utter rubbish, you have spent the last few weeks trashing the party and its leader.

Plenty of Tories were loyal to Thatcher to the end in 1990, they still canvassed for Major in 1992
    Not really - Boris has done that all by himself
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

I voted for every Tory on the ballot paper even then, you did not vote for the Tory candidate in 2001
    Nor in 1997 - so what
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,151
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Oh, I did read it all right, never fear. Been a little bit overtaken by events (i.e. Ms Patel might get the heave-ho) but, as you say all too well, it remains a serious issue.
    Even if she leaves, the Bill passes into law.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    This F...ing Tory Party are completely shameless. On Newsnight ... 'He didn't know it was against the rules that he himself had announced that week!!' These shameless sycophants are not even funny anymore
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,431
    edited January 2022

Interesting prediction. Unless you've heard/seen information about it?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,519
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    I've read your header, and agree with all of it. The Bill is a disgrace. As I pointed out a while ago, there were demonstrations against the Bill in many English cities at the weekend. I was on one. They were ignored. I'm not quite sure what we do next.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    The issue isn't protest. Or at least it shouldn't be. The issue ought to be disruption. We can all be high-minded about rights to free expression and assembly but extinction rebellion and insulate Britain DID cause major disruption i.e harm. People have a right to be angry about that. The Supreme Court might have exploded a legal grenade with its verdict that a certain level of disruption had to be tolerated in a free society. Well what does that mean exactly?

Many liberty lovers would have applauded that but what if the consequence is the government introducing more draconian laws as a counter measure? Activists judges might actually be their own worst enemy in this. Of course I don't have any confidence in Patel who seems like a minister playing to the gallery in search of favourable tabloid headlines. But one has to understand why she has found such fertile territory.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Roger said:

This F...ing Tory Party are completely shameless. On Newsnight ... 'He didn't know it was against the rules that he himself had announced that week!!' These shameless sycophants are not even funny anymore

The ones that bother me are the ones that claim to have only just noticed that Boris is unfit to be prime minister. He has always been dodgy and done a lot of harm.

The problem we have is that so far this century, each PM has been worse than the last. Goodness knows who comes next.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Called it.

Called it.

Tad impatient. May looming bit too fast is it?
    Eh?
    Front of times says masks to stay
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting prediction. Unless you've heard/seen information about it?
    https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1483567788929261568?s=20
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

OT Is George Osborne wondering what might have been, had he not chucked it all in?

Really?

It looks to me that being PM isn't as much fun as it sounds. Our would be "World King" is only the latest in a long line to be trashed by the job.
    Who was the last PM to leave with head held high and dignity intact?
    May- broken by the job
    Cameron- broken by the referendum
    Brown- broken by the job
    Blair- left sort of on his own terms, but the job sent him mad
    Major- broken and defeated
    Thatcher- went mad, then her party deposed her
    Callaghan was before my time; was his defeat dignified?
    If not, we're back to Wilson.

Maybe the job of PM really is undoable, and destroys all who crave it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    I can't imagine that John Major would be that unhappy to see Bozza come to a sticky end.

The truly fascinating one is covered by Boris's leg...

What would Maggie Think?
    She was fond of Boris and would remind him what happened to the Tories once they got rid of her.

They lost 3 out of 4 general elections subsequently. Boris 'described the overthrowing of Margaret Thatcher 30 years ago as a “terrible event” on a par with the assassination of Julius Caesar.'
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnsons-role-in-the-fall-of-margaret-thatcher-v9xqlmqqq
    They won 1 out of 1 general elections subsequently.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Might be moment to go to bed, could be long day tomorrow 🥱
  • Options
    Group of 109 MPs in the Carlton Club with Will Wragg holding court. Obviously plotting.
    https://twitter.com/eyespymp/status/1483552752106156036

Bizarre thing is @NadineDorries is upstairs
    https://twitter.com/William_Wragg/status/1483555049204854789

An MP tells me Boris Johnson is at the Carlton Club … where 2019 MPs are also congregating.
    https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1483576764928565252
  • Options
    LATEST Chaos at the Carlton Club tonight. Boris Johnson had a drink with Conor Burns.
    Nadine Dorries was addressing an Onward dinner.
    Four 1922 members were having supper.
    The Press arrived believing a plot was under way so everyone left by the backdoor. One MP: "It is a farce."

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1483577383479394307
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Foxy said:

eek said:

Really?

May- broken by the job
    Brown- broken by the job

Wilson, Macmillan and Churchill and arguably Blair left on their own terms, not forced out by their party or after losing a general election.

However as we are not a dictatorship ultimately it is to be expected most of our PMs are either forced out by the voters or their own parties in the end.

The trick is to step down before your shelf life has expired. Had Thatcher stepped down in 1989 after 10 years in power, she would have left office in triumph.

Blair managed to time his leaving for 2007 ie a year before the GFC which toppled Brown after the Brownites put pressure on him to go
  • Options

The issue isn't protest. Or at least it shouldn't be. The issue ought to be disruption. We can all be high-minded about rights to free expression and assembly but extinction rebellion and insulate Britain DID cause major disruption i.e harm. People have a right to be angry about that. The Supreme Court might have exploded a legal grenade with its verdict that a certain level of disruption had to be tolerated in a free society. Well what does that mean exactly?

Many liberty lovers would have applauded that but what if the consequence is the government introducing more draconian laws as a counter measure? Activists judges might actually be their own worst enemy in this. Of course I don't have any confidence in Patel who seems like a minister playing to the gallery in search of favourable tabloid headlines. But one has to understand why she has found such fertile territory.

We already have plenty of laws to deal with disruption and public order offences.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,519
    Scott_xP said:

Group of 109 MPs in the Carlton Club with Will Wragg holding court. Obviously plotting.
    https://twitter.com/eyespymp/status/1483552752106156036

Bizarre thing is @NadineDorries is upstairs
    https://twitter.com/William_Wragg/status/1483555049204854789

An MP tells me Boris Johnson is at the Carlton Club … where 2019 MPs are also congregating.
    https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1483576764928565252

I don't think the second item can be true. Nadine Dorries hasn't got anything upstairs.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

On topic: Actually I think there is, or was until the Lords removed it, quite a lot of sensible stuff in the bill. Items 1, 2, 3 and 6 of the proposals listed in Ms Cyclefree's bullet points are very reasonable The last one is no different to existing and long-standing powers on football hooligans, is it? And stopping arrogant nutjobs disrupting roads, transport and construction because they don't like decisions taken in a democracy is well overdue; what they do is not protest, it is intimidation and wrecking.

Unfortunately the government has screwed up the mechanics of the legislation. Quite an achievement when they've got a majority of 80.

Item 6 is an appalling piece of legislation. You really do need to look at the clause in detail and the explanation of what it means to understand that. Fortunately it has gone. For now.

But no party proposing this as legislation is fit to be in government.

And they did not screw up the mechanics. They deliberately introduced amendments at the last minute to avoid scrutiny.
    If they were trying to avoid scrutiny they didn't succeed. Or at least, maybe they did, but not in the way they intended, which is a pity.

I note you ignored my point about football hooligans, or the wider point about the need for legislation to stop a small number of people wrecking things, causing massive expense to the taxpayer and to private companies and citizens, stopping traffic, adding to pollution, and in some cases preventing ambulances taking ill people to hospital. Are you really cool with the law being totally impotent to deal with all of that?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,327
    Cracking header which will get less than the attention it deserves.

...It is easy to look at some individual protest or protester one doesn’t like or agree with and say, of course, they should be stopped...
    That was pretty well the entirety of the government's argument in the Lords. Intellectually and morally bankrupt.

I see that Bernard Hopeless Hough has resurfaced in the Lords, and unsurprisingly spoke in favour of the measures.
    Why is it that failed leaders of the Met get enobled ?
  • Options

Yes but ER and IB protests could have already (and were) dealt with by existing powers. New laws are no substitute for enforcement of existing ones.

These laws are so draconian that any freedom loving person should make them unenforceable.
  • Options

Foxy said:

eek said:

Really?

May- broken by the job
    Brown- broken by the job

Think Callaghan was reasonably dignified. He remained well liked. As did Major to be fair. And Blair stepped down. I don't think it's as bleak as you paint it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

We already have plenty of laws to deal with disruption and public order offences.
    Really? So why is this disruption continuing with no legal redress?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    I've read your header, and agree with all of it. The Bill is a disgrace. As I pointed out a while ago, there were demonstrations against the Bill in many English cities at the weekend. I was on one. They were ignored. I'm not quite sure what we do next.
    I have been on one of the protests too, albeit a while ago. An excellent header @cyclefree . The bill was bad enough already but these amendments are outrageous...

The manner of their introduction, without prior consultation, was also outrageous for such deeply controversial matters.
  • Options
    It’s still not clear about the masks.

The Times headline says they will remain but the story itself says it’s not decided whether this will be guidance or law.

Of course, if they want to maintain the law, they’ll need a new bill. Which means it will probably be guidance, which will be largely ignored in big cities, I should guess.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,155

Foxy said:

eek said:

Really?

May- broken by the job
    Brown- broken by the job

May and Cameron were arguably broken by Boris Johnson's ambition.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,378

Cyclefree said:

Because disruption is part and parcel with a free democratic process?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

Really?

May- broken by the job
    Brown- broken by the job

Wilson, Macmillan and Churchill and arguably Blair left on their own terms, not forced out by their party or after losing a general election.

However as we are not a dictatorship ultimately it is to be expected most of our PMs are either forced out by the voters or their own parties in the end.

The trick is to step down before your shelf life has expired. Had Thatcher stepped down in 1989 after 10 years in power, she would have left office in triumph.

Blair managed to time his leaving for 2007 ie a year before the GFC which toppled Brown after the Brownites put pressure on him to go
    Churchill, Macmillan and Wilson may all have resigned rather than being ousted but arguably they all left on health grounds.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited January 2022

Foxy said:

eek said:

Really?

May- broken by the job
    Brown- broken by the job

May and Cameron were arguably broken by Boris Johnson's ambition.
    Boris has been the cuckoo in the Tory nest since at least 2015. Doing to the party and country what he has been doing to various husbands (and wives!) for several decades.

Astonishingly he is still supported by @HYUFD, @DavidL, @Sandpit and others.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040
    edited January 2022
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

When my son was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum aged around 8 years old, my wife asked the consultant for a single piece of advice that we should take away from the diagnosis. His advice was never ever allow him to be interviewed by the police, particularly under caution, without legal representation, which was rather telling. He quoted Stefan Kishko.

When I was very, very young, during the Miner's strike, I was a Sales Rep for Courage the Brewers. I called mainly at Co-ops and off-licences in West Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, South Lincs. and Rutland. Rutland was covered by the Leicestershire Constabulary area, and West Leicestershire had a number of mines. On crossing into Rutland on one occasion I was stopped by Officers from the Met Police (yes the Met Police). They cleaned me out of the cases of samples I had in the boot- no point arguing I thought. I even had to help load the beer into their bus from my car. A year or two later I went to a wedding in Bolton. The groom worked for Greater Manchester Police and I regaled my story. He told me his. He said he made a fortune in overtime patroling the Warwickshire coalfields. On one occasion they were staying in a hostel recently vacated by the Met. He said somewhere along the M1 the Met bus was stopped and the hostel tellys were recovered.

I have told my children to be very polite to, but very cautious of the police. My youngest son detests them. I would limit rather than increase their power!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2022

Cyclefree said:

It is an infringement of the rights of the disruptees. Essentially it is extortion, made even worse by the fact that those who suffer aren't even in a position to buy off the extortioner, but are innocent and powerless victims.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

There is a reasonable debate to be had about the level of disruption to be tolerated as a result of protest in a democratic society.

This bill attempted to give an unacceptable level of discretion to police and Home Secretary to make those decisions without any real check.
  • Options

It’s still not clear about the masks.

The Times headline says they will remain but the story itself says it’s not decided whether this will be guidance or law.

Of course, if they want to maintain the law, they’ll need a new bill. Which means it will probably be guidance, which will be largely ignored in big cities, I should guess.

Hope so.
    The U.K. is really leading the way for once.

New York is still mid-wave and covid-hysterical, including various measures which seem to be *against* scientific best practice.
  • Options

Foxy said:

eek said:

Really?

May- broken by the job
    Brown- broken by the job

Rumour had it that Wilson was hitting the booze seriously hard towards the end, so his departure may not have been all sweetness and light.
  • Options
    The mad decision to restrict the Euston road to a single lane at various points has caused more disruption than any XR protests.

Pretty much impossible to drive east/west through London now.
  • Options
    Germany reports 93,912 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

So why all this bother with injunctions?

And what is the explanation for granting them? I find it odd that, as I understand it, the injunction was against the group of climate activists. So what's to stop them changing their name as an organisation? Perhaps I just don't understand the law.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,069
    Fingers crossed that this Bill will be lost in the transition to a new PM.
  • Options

If I was Lynton Crosby I would certainly regard it as an unnecessary barnacle.

It’s very existence demonstrates there is a complete incoherence to “Boris-ism”.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If there is a confidence vote I'd expect Johnson to win in by a similar sort of margin as the Theresa May vote in December 2018 which was 200-117 against a leadership election. Why? I still think most Sunak and Truss supporters don't want to take over just yet: they'd prefer the second half of the year.

If he wins a VONC, Johnson is safe for a year. Sunak's window will have closed, economic events will overtake him.

It suits me, by the way, if he stays.
  • Options

Germany reports 93,912 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record

Do you ever tire of these posts? Why not hunt out some more unusual countries, like Guatemala or Uzbekistan.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Slavish loyalty to party is not the supreme virtue you seem to imagine.
    Of course Harriet Harman is the classic example of 'the King is dead, long live the King.'

See the last 10 seconds here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4sELK-iEjQ

She managed to stay near the top of the Labour Party in opposition and government for 30 years
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

Andy_JS said:

If he wins a VONC, Johnson is safe for a year. Sunak's window will have closed, economic events will overtake him.

People keep saying this, but it's not at all a guarantee of safety for a year.
  • Options
    In other news former FT correspondent Wolfgang Munchau did a very good podcast on the Ukraine situation particularly the relationship between Germany and Russia. He thinks the German media has a much better understanding of Russia than they do of the UK! Quite depressing in all honesty, particularly the continuing closeness of Moscow to the SPD (but not the Greens).

I hope he's exaggerating but if correct it's no wonder Putin would feel emboldened.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

Really?

May- broken by the job
    Brown- broken by the job

Think Callaghan was reasonably dignified. He remained well liked. As did Major to be fair. And Blair stepped down. I don't think it's as bleak as you paint it.
    One thing that I deplore is leaders stepping down the day after a GE defeat. It takes time for a party to process what went wrong, and rushing to a new leader often results in a poor choice. In anything other than a hung parliament, with risk of further election, the leader should stay on for a year.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Forgive me for my confusion, I do not understand the mechanics of the Conservative Party, but don't the rules preclude a VONC within a year?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Item 6 is an appalling piece of legislation. You really do need to look at the clause in detail and the explanation of what it means to understand that. Fortunately it has gone. For now.

And they did not screw up the mechanics. They deliberately introduced amendments at the last minute to avoid scrutiny.
    If they were trying to avoid scrutiny they didn't succeed. Or at least, maybe they did, but not in the way they intended, which is a pity.

I note you ignored my point about football hooligans, or the wider point about the need for legislation to stop a small number of people wrecking things, causing massive expense to the taxpayer and to private companies and citizens, stopping traffic, adding to pollution, and in some cases preventing ambulances taking ill people to hospital. Are you really cool with the law being totally impotent to deal with all of that?
    It isn't.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050

In other news former FT correspondent Wolfgang Munchau did a very good podcast on the Ukraine situation particularly the relationship between Germany and Russia. He thinks the German media has a much better understanding of Russia than they do of the UK! Quite depressing in all honesty, particularly the continuing closeness of Moscow to the SPD (but not the Greens).

I hope he's exaggerating but if correct it's no wonder Putin would feel emboldened.

Wolfgang is probably one of the smartest commentators on European affairs and is also a really top bloke.
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Forgive me for my confusion, I do not understand the mechanics of the Conservative Party, but don't the rules preclude a VONC within a year?
    The rules can be changed, of course. And May survived a VONC in December 2018. I assume she was still PM in December 2019?
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Though if they want to do so the 1922 could change the rules.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

When my son was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum aged around 8 years old, my wife asked the consultant for a single piece of advice that we should take away from the diagnosis. His advice was never ever allow him to be interviewed by the police, particularly under caution, without legal representation, which was rather telling. He quoted Stefan Kishko.

When I was very, very young, during the Miner's strike, I was a Sales Rep for Courage the Brewers. I called mainly at Co-ops and off-licences in West Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, South Lincs. and Rutland. Rutland was covered by the Leicestershire Constabulary area, and West Leicestershire had a number of mines. On crossing into Rutland on one occasion I was stopped by Officers from the Met Police (yes the Met Police). They cleaned me out of the cases of samples I had in the boot- no point arguing I thought. I even had to help load the beer into their bus from my car. A year or two later I went to a wedding in Bolton. The groom worked for Greater Manchester Police and I regaled my story. He told me his. He said he made a fortune in overtime patroling the Warwickshire coalfields. On one occasion they were staying in a hostel recently vacated by the Met. He said somewhere along the M1 the Met bus was stopped and the hostel tellys were recovered.

I have told my children to be very polite to, but very cautious of the police. My youngest son detests them. I would limit rather than increase their power!
    I can't agree more. I remember seeing pictures of the police in the miners strike waving wads of cash in the faces of the picket line, their overtime money.

Never help the police with their enquiries. Remember, the only reason they ask you questions is because they don't have the evidence to charge until you give it to them.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The rules can be changed, of course. And May survived a VONC in December 2018. I assume she was still PM in December 2019?
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

It is a very fluid organisation this Conservative Party.

And thanks RobD. for taking the p*** out of me by suggesting Mrs May was PM in December 2019. Much appreciated.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

It is a very fluid organisation this Conservative Party.

And thanks RobD. for taking the p*** out of me by suggesting Mrs May was PM in December 2019. Much appreciated.
    Not taking the piss out of anyone. Just demonstrating with a recent example that surviving a VONC is not a guarantee of safety for a year as you were suggesting.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,918
    edited January 2022

Cyclefree said:

Because those damn juries keep acquitting people?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

It's breach of the peace to block a public highway. There's already law to deal with that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

If Boris survives a VONC, he likely also has a majority of his suporters on the 1922 too
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

A vote of no confidence isn't the only way a PM can be forced out.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,528
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

If Boris survives a VONC, he likely also has a majority of his suporters on the 1922 too
    That's true... for now. But what if there's more Partygate news? He could survive a VONC, then let's say there's a photo of him dancing on a table at a Downing Street party. You could end up with a situation where a clear majority of MPs want him gone and the 1922 Cttee re-write the rules.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

It’s very existence demonstrates there is a complete incoherence to “Boris-ism”.
    A barnacle on the boat.
  • Options

As does all legislation since 2019. All tactics no strategy.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

I can't agree more. I remember seeing pictures of the police in the miners strike waving wads of cash in the faces of the picket line, their overtime money.

Never help the police with their enquiries. Remember, the only reason they ask you questions is because they don't have the evidence to charge until you give it to them.
    Never ever talk to the police without a lawyer present.

Never ever accept a caution.
  • Options

Along with its architect.
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

A vote of no confidence isn't the only way a PM can be forced out.
    Short of the opposition winning a VONC in Parliament, the Queen removing the PM or the PM losing a general election, a PM losing the leadership of their party is the only way they can be removed as PM against their will
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    edited January 2022
    vanilla balls-up
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    vanilla balls-up
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    vanilla balls-up
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    vanilla balls-up
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Throughout all of this soap opera it is sobering to remember that Boris Johnson is actually Prime Minister, and that a man who claims he can’t spot a party in his own back yard actually controls this country’s nuclear deterrent.

He's probably written two letters of last resort for each sub though: one pro- and one anti-launch.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Mango said:

Jonathan said:

Throughout all of this soap opera it is sobering to remember that Boris Johnson is actually Prime Minister, and that a man who claims he can’t spot a party in his own back yard actually controls this country’s nuclear deterrent.

He's probably written two letters of last resort for each sub though.
    One to nuke Chillingham Castle?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    edited January 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

Why not?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

Although. My uncle was a regular Bobby. He made huge sums during the Strike, but struggled to reconcile the behaviour of many of his colleagues. He was a working class Wiganer, who joined the Police precisely to avoid having to go down t'pit. He collected for the Strike fund in his spare time. Wigan Police was a source of healthy donations. Many of his mates suffered.
    He took to drink, and died at an early age.
    Not all coppers are bastards.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

Why not?
    They show up on an enhanced DBS check despite no evidence of guilt of any crime. Police cautions are a way for the police to label people as "wrong 'uns" officially. It's better to go to court and clear your name than accept a police caution.
  • Options
    It's definitely quiet and civil here without Leon and Philip.

:smiley:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

Why not?
    They show up on an enhanced DBS check despite no evidence of guilt of any crime. Police cautions are a way for the police to label people as "wrong 'uns" officially. It's better to go to court and clear your name than accept a police caution.
    Thanks! I doubt I'll ever be offered one but good to know.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

My mother-in-law had a neighbour who was bat***t crazy and who kept writing letters to people accusing them of slighting her over weird stuff. One day two police officers turned up and told my incredulous mother-in-law that she had been reported for attempting to run over her neighbour's dogs and that they intended to caution her. She refused to accept a caution on the basis that the only evidence supplied was by the neighbour with no corroboration. She suggested that the Police were welcome to investigate further, and recommended that they contact a well known local judge who had also been on the receiving end of the neighbour who would provide information regarding the reliability (or lack of) of the her character. They left.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Sigh......
    Anecdote Alert.

Although. My uncle was a regular Bobby. He made huge sums during the Strike, but struggled to reconcile the behaviour of many of his colleagues. He was a working class Wiganer, who joined the Police precisely to avoid having to go down t'pit. He collected for the Strike fund in his spare time. Wigan Police was a source of healthy donations. Many of his mates suffered.
    He took to drink, and died at an early age.
    Not all coppers are bastards.
    Agreed. There's enough wrong uns around though.
This discussion has been closed.