Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Lords a-leaping – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited January 2022 in General
imageLords a-leaping – politicalbetting.com

“Too clever by half” – not a phrase instantly associated with Priti Patel. Yet her decision to make some significant substantive amendments to the Police, Crime and Sentencing Bill after the Commons had discussed it, amendments many of which were voted down by the Lords Monday night, now means that the government cannot reintroduce them when the Bill returns to the Commons. Not without introducing a fresh Bill. If they were so necessary she is now stuck. Alternatively, they were always a distraction and she will be able to get through what she always wanted. So what are these amendments and why the concern? The basic outlines of the Bill and the worries about it are here. S. 59 was quite bad enough with its proposal to limit any protest which might cause “serious unease” or “distress” to those hearing it. (If only those Tory voters expressing their fury about No 10’s parties had done so by taking to the streets, the government could simply have shut them down because of the “serious unease” it would cause Tory MPs. Not to mention the beleaguered PM needing silence while he decides which underlings to sacrifice first). But the government sought to do more and, in its trademark style, at the last minute without scrutiny by MPs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Not really the point
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited January 2022
    Third like Lanark.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    There will be no fresh bill from Patel as she will no longer be Home Sec in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,934
    Exc with @denis_campbell:

Ministers warned by DHSC officials over controversial policy making two-jabs mandatory for all NHS staff from 1 April.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/18/health-department-warning-over-vaccine-mandate-for-nhs-england-staff
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Too good to languish in a lame duck thread:
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCL w/ ⁦@georgegrylls⁩

At least 58 Conservative MPs have criticised Boris Johnson or his team in letters to constituents/Facebook posts/local press. Analysis reveals anger with the PM is much deeper than commonly appreciated in Westminster

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e463c5c4-789e-11ec-9998-b2483743c25e?shareToken=86802f95fc6bf2e290810d2b65025892

Maybe but even if 54 have signed letters for a VONC they need 183 Tory MPs to vote against Boris in a VONC to remove him or he is safe for a year
    Hyufd, 'not able to face another VONC for a year' and 'safe for a year' are two very, very different things. Just ask Theresa May.
    You could try asking TMexPM, but right now you might have to wait for her to stop laughing first.

Boris has to survive until September (I think) to beat her time in No 10.
    And I have to survive to 2085 to outlive Jeanne Calment. Ne va pas se passer.
    Jeanne Calment. Born BEFORE the Battle of Little Bighorn. Died AFTER the first Harry Potter book was published.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,701
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCL w/ ⁦@georgegrylls⁩

At least 58 Conservative MPs have criticised Boris Johnson or his team in letters to constituents/Facebook posts/local press. Analysis reveals anger with the PM is much deeper than commonly appreciated in Westminster

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e463c5c4-789e-11ec-9998-b2483743c25e?shareToken=86802f95fc6bf2e290810d2b65025892

Maybe but even if 54 have signed letters for a VONC they need 183 Tory MPs to vote against Boris in a VONC to remove him or he is safe for a year
    Hyufd, 'not able to face another VONC for a year' and 'safe for a year' are two very, very different things. Just ask Theresa May.
    You could try asking TMexPM, but right now you might have to wait for her to stop laughing first.

Jeanne Calment. Born BEFORE the Battle of Little Bighorn. Died AFTER the first Harry Potter book was published.
    No wonder she died.
  • Options

There will be no fresh bill from Patel as she will no longer be Home Sec in a few weeks time.

She can instruct whomever she appoints as Home Sec to continue the good work..
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    Farooq said:

Patel has as much chance of becoming PM as TSE has.
  • Options

Priti for Prime Minister, you mean? Good luck.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCL w/ ⁦@georgegrylls⁩

No wonder she died.
    Many people survived the publication of The Philosopher's Stone though
  • Options
    💥 One furious Tory MP texts…

“The whips & no10 briefing against junior MPs is a desperate low. Everyone is lambs to the slaughter for the man who wanted to be king of the World and pissed it all away.”

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1483563824561233926
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Third like Lanark.

Lanark is in four parts, isn’t it?
  • Options

Vlad said:

Farooq said:

Vlad said:

Bring back

iSam!
    Charles!
    Eadric!
    David Herdson!
    Leon!
    Alistair Meeks!

If they want!

Whoa - has Leon gone?
    Libel, banned, everyone was happy.
    Now unbanned, but has returned with a second account. So we can look forward to his tedious wittering in stereo,
    You seem to dislike him? What did he do? I only lurked sporadically so I am unaware of the "granular backstory"

Did you compare penii and come off badly? What?!

This site is brilliant!
    Charles, your new identity is very unconvincing.

“Penii” was the tell, as the only previous citation was a post where Charles explained that his Aunty Gladys explained the concept of the Crown-in-Parliament to him using borrowed members from the Hunterian collection.
    FPT - for heaven's sake it's penes. Not penii.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited January 2022

In which case she would bide her time on the backbenches, push a populist right agenda and look to take over as Leader of the Opposition if the Tories lose the next general election.

Liberals I can understand may hate Patel's bill. However most Tory members are not liberals, certainly when it comes to law and order
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    eek said:

Farooq said:

Patel has as much chance of becoming PM as TSE has.
    Don't tempt fate...
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Priti for Prime Minister, you mean? Good luck.
    50/1
  • Options
    One senior Tory has messaged me to say they are hearing there might be a statement from Sir Graham Brady first thing tomorrow morning and that the PM has been told tonight.
    Not confirmed - but there’s a sense of real movement tonight.
    #DowningStreetParties

https://twitter.com/STVKathryn/status/1483562077478342656
  • Options
    OT Is George Osborne wondering what might have been, had he not chucked it all in?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Scott_xP said:

One senior Tory has messaged me to say they are hearing there might be a statement from Sir Graham Brady first thing tomorrow morning and that the PM has been told tonight.
    Not confirmed - but there’s a sense of real movement tonight.
    #DowningStreetParties

https://twitter.com/STVKathryn/status/1483562077478342656

Bloody hell, a senior Tory?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Vlad said:

Farooq said:

Vlad said:

Bring back

iSam!
    Charles!
    Eadric!
    David Herdson!
    Leon!
    Alistair Meeks!

If they want!

Whoa - has Leon gone?
    Now unbanned, but has returned with a second account. So we can look forward to his tedious wittering in stereo,
    You seem to dislike him? What did he do? I only lurked sporadically so I am unaware of the "granular backstory"

This site is brilliant!

“Penii” was the tell, as the only previous citation was a post where Charles explained that his Aunty Gladys explained the concept of the Crown-in-Parliament to him using borrowed members from the Hunterian collection.
    That was my implicit point, I was just not gauche enough to spell it out.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    "One senior Tory has messaged me to say they are hearing there might be a statement from Sir Graham Brady first thing tomorrow morning and that the PM has been told tonight.
    Not confirmed - but there’s a sense of real movement tonight. "

https://twitter.com/STVKathryn/status/1483562077478342656?s=20
  • Options

Peston talking rubbish again

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    2m
    As I just said on
    @itvnews
    , reliable source tells me 60:40 chance Sue Gray report will be published on Friday. She expects the PM to read it (maybe overnight Thursday) but not to make any changes. Or so I am told. Unusually the House is sitting on Friday. Tense few days for PM
  • Options
    2019er Tory MPs plot to remove Boris Johnson:

* Some will submit letters after PMQs tomorrow, others are waiting until after Sue Gray's report. Described as 'two D-Days' for PM

* Whips say rebels are completely open. 'They didn't even try to hide it'

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-mps-team-up-to-topple-boris-johnson-over-lockdown-parties-3xwd0lbgc
  • Options

Third like Lanark.

Lanark is in four parts, isn’t it?
    The Gray one, yes. But Third Lanark, like Glasgow Rangers, is an ex-Scottish footie club, or rather Scottish ex-fitba club. ,
  • Options

"One senior Tory has messaged me to say they are hearing there might be a statement from Sir Graham Brady first thing tomorrow morning and that the PM has been told tonight.
    Not confirmed - but there’s a sense of real movement tonight. "

https://twitter.com/STVKathryn/status/1483562077478342656?s=20

Another Tory MP says he’s been told 54 letters are in place and PM is going to contest it.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Vlad said:

Farooq said:

Vlad said:

Bring back

iSam!
    Charles!
    Eadric!
    David Herdson!
    Leon!
    Alistair Meeks!

If they want!

Whoa - has Leon gone?

This site is brilliant!

That was my implicit point, I was just not gauche enough to spell it out.
    Whatever, it's criminal (and, as you say, a useful documentary tell).
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    HYUFD said:

In which case she would bide her time on the backbenches, push a populist right agenda and look to take over as Leader of the Opposition if the Tories lose the next general election.

Liberals I can understand may hate Patel's bill. However most Tory members are not liberals, certainly when it comes to law and order
    Her record in office is so poor though?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,439

Third like Lanark.

I always thought Third Lanark was a curiously self-effacing name for a footbal team. "We're the third best team in Lanarkshire" isn't really one to set the pulse racing, though has the benefit of being grounded in reality.

A quick google - because surely this can't be the case? - reveals it was actually the football club associated with the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers. Which is almost a little disappointing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Good luck with that.

Patel isn’t even popular with your fellow dopeheads.
  • Options

OT Is George Osborne wondering what might have been, had he not chucked it all in?

I suspect Mr 10 jobs is looking at his bank balance and laughing
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    eek said:

I suspect Mr 10 jobs is looking at his bank balance and laughing
    Really?

Maybe it's me but I'd settle for £1m + being PM rather than £100m and no power.
  • Options
    Is there a race in the Tory party to dump Johnson before the nation realises they put him there?
    https://twitter.com/adamboultonTABB/status/1483565646227152903
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited January 2022
    It feels like Christmas Eve has come 11 months early. Waiting in anticipation for the big day to see what Sir Father Brady has in his sack.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Good luck with that.

Patel isn’t even popular with your fellow dopeheads.
    Leaders of the Opposition after a party lost power in a general election in the last 50 years.

Thatcher, Foot, Hague, Ed Miliband.

Centrists rarely win the leadership of their party when it first goes into opposition
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Is..is it worth asking about the cyan robots?
  • Options
    Nadine, raging against the dying of the light...

Exclusive:

Nadine Dorries hits out at 'disloyal' plotters

'The people who are doing this are being disloyal to PM, the party, their constituents and to the wider country

'The only reason their constituents voted for them is because Boris Johnson was standing as PM'
    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1483566263435677700/photo/1
  • Options
    Anushka Asthana
    @AnushkaAsthana
    ·
    52m
    NEW: the 20 MPs of the 2019 intake who met today did a secret ballot on how many had already submitted letters to Sir Graham Brady and over half of the group already had. They decided not to do a public statement -to protect other colleagues. But others persuaded to follow suit.

https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1483553657148870661
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,958
    Not sure these proposals are all that radical. As a Wiganer I distinctly remember being subject to random stop and search on suspicion of intention to attend a protest based purely on my starting location.
    Then we were told which parts of the country we could and couldn't travel to.
    But that was during the Strike and we weren't middle class. I don't remember a great deal of libertarian outrage at the time.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

'The people who are doing this are being disloyal to PM, the party, their constituents and to the wider country

'The only reason their constituents voted for them is because Boris Johnson was standing as PM'

And now they know their constituents wont vote for them unless they get rid of the lying, rule-breaking charlatan.

Them's the breaks.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Graham Brady has removed Nadine Dorries from the conversation
  • Options
    Exclusive:

Boris Johnson accused of dismissing calls to isolate after showing Covid symptoms in March 2020, telling colleagues he was 'strong like bull' & banging chest

PM went into isolation on March 27. Insiders say he had bad cough week earlier

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-mps-team-up-to-topple-boris-johnson-over-lockdown-parties-3xwd0lbgc
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

'Removing Boris Johnson will give us one thing: Keir Starmer as Prime Minister' says Nadine
  • Options

Is..is it worth asking about the cyan robots?

No, don't encourage him
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    No point changing the man at the top but keeping the same pernicious Bills.

Sunak and others voted for this dangerous nonsense.

They all need to go.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'Removing Boris Johnson will give us one thing: Keir Starmer as Prime Minister' says Nadine

It gives us so much more than that.

It gives us Nadine out on her arse for a start
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Is she about to be the shortest serving DCMS minister?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

How does that work - is Boris going to call a general election tomorrow?

It’s one way of avoiding a leadership election
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Not sure these proposals are all that radical. As a Wiganer I distinctly remember being subject to random stop and search on suspicion of intention to attend a protest based purely on my starting location.
    But that was during the Strike and we weren't middle class. I don't remember a great deal of libertarian outrage at the time.

Not sure how proletarian one had to be. I remember one of the better political reminiscences on PB - alas I forget the name; about being a drinks company representative at that time, being stopped and encouraged to donate the contents of his boot to refresh the plod.
  • Options
    27th (regeneration) like Vlad
  • Options
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    9m
    THE TIMES: Red wall Tory MPs team up to topple ⁦
    @BorisJohnson
    ⁩ #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I can't imagine that John Major would be that unhappy to see Bozza come to a sticky end.

The truly fascinating one is covered by Boris's leg...

What would Maggie Think?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,288
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Why don't you just resign as a conservative as you are so full of negativity the party would not miss you and Dorries is a disaster and needs sending to the back benches

And I can take your place as I rejoin as Boris leaves
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,528
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

How does that work - is Boris going to call a general election tomorrow?

It’s one way of avoiding a leadership election
    Under FTPA 2011- still in force - the PM has no such power.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Is she about to be the shortest serving DCMS minister?
    She is already the thickest ever DCMS, so why not go for the double?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Why don't you just resign as a conservative as you are so full of negatively the party would not miss you and Dorries is a disaster and needs sending to the back benches

I don't hate the Tory leader and PM unlike you.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    End of Plan B to be announced tomorrow, taking effect a week later. PM will hold cabinet meeting in the morning, then Commons statement after PMQs. Currently unclear whether he'll do a press conference.
  • Options
    Vlad said:

I fear I am going to be banned soon, despite being a young, enthusiastic ballet-dancing if coquettish Scot Nat, very much embraced in the warm circle of Lady Sturgeon, so I am going to leave you with the warnings of other banned PB-ers

Rod Crosby: THERE WAS AN AYURVEDIC SAUNA AT DACHAU
    iSam: ENOCH IS DEAD. HOWEVER
    Charles: MY HOUSE IS THE BEST IN THE AREA
    Stuart Dickson: LOOK, HERE IS MY IMPRESSIVELY LARGER TESTICLE
    Leon: I HAVE HAD MORE SEX THAN YOU HAHAHA
    Alistair Meeks: BREXIT IS DRIVING YOU ALL MAD YOU STUPID THICK UGLY WEIRDLY TINKLING CYAN ROBOTS

You would be well-advised to heed them all.

Goodbye

Are you Kevin from Split in real life?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I can't imagine that John Major would be that unhappy to see Bozza come to a sticky end.

What would Maggie Think?
    She was fond of Boris and would remind him what happened to the Tories once they got rid of her.

They lost 3 out of 4 general elections subsequently. Boris 'described the overthrowing of Margaret Thatcher 30 years ago as a “terrible event” on a par with the assassination of Julius Caesar.'
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnsons-role-in-the-fall-of-margaret-thatcher-v9xqlmqqq
  • Options
    NEW: Boris Johnson will announce tomorrow that most Covid-19 restrictions will end in England, as PM struggles to contain a growing rebellion among Tory MPs.

Cabinet fearful about northern rebellion: "They are inexperienced. It won’t amount to much.”

https://www.ft.com/content/d1e52803-e11d-497b-93ba-aee559b9fc25
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Not sure how proletarian one had to be. I remember one of the better political reminiscences on PB - alas I forget the name; about being a drinks company representative at that time, being stopped and encouraged to donate the contents of his boot to refresh the plod.
    No. Alas. Basically. Where you from? (And numberplates were a pretty big tell in those days).
    Turn around. You aren't free to travel around the country.
    Regardless of your intentions.
    Quite stunning it has been erased from the collective memory.
    Was just a tad more intrusive than having to wear a mask in Asda.
    And cheered to the rafters by the Right.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

:innocent:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

What would Maggie Think?
    She was fond of Boris and would remind him what happened to the Tories once they got rid of her.

They lost 3 out of 4 general elections subsequently. Boris 'described the overthrowing of Margaret Thatcher 30 years ago as a “terrible event” on a par with the assassination of Julius Caesar.'
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnsons-role-in-the-fall-of-margaret-thatcher-v9xqlmqqq
    Last I heard from Boris was about how wrong Maggie was to create/enter the single market.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Very disappointed the date at the bottom doesn't read "29 Nivôse CCXXX"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Why don't you just resign as a conservative as you are so full of negatively the party would not miss you and Dorries is a disaster and needs sending to the back benches

You do hate this country tho.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

I do not hate Boris but then I cannot support his behaviour over Paterson, wallpapergate and partygate, and the trashing of the conservative brand

You seem to be happy to predict years in opposition for the party so why not resign as you can hardly promote the party
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

End of Plan B to be announced tomorrow, taking effect a week later. PM will hold cabinet meeting in the morning, then Commons statement after PMQs. Currently unclear whether he'll do a press conference.

Ooh, if Brady's announcement is a VoNC then tomorrow is going to be quite the day.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178

Is that a prediction or a tip from somewhere?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

I do not hate Boris but then I cannot support his behaviour over Paterson, wallpapergate and partygate, and the trashing of the conservative brand

You seem to be happy to predict years in opposition for the party so why not resign as you can hardly promote the party
    I am always loyal to the party, even in 2001 when you were happily voting Labour
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

It’ll also give us a new culture minister.
  • Options

Cabinet? In the morning? Open goal one would have thought. If any has the cojones to shoot.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I'm laughing at the "All you ever wanted to know about Brian Blessed - page 8".
  • Options

Is that the end of the short and unamusing appearance of Vlad the Imbiber?

Away to A&E to get stomach pumped. Thank goodness for key workers.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

I am always loyal to the party, even in 2001 when you were happily voting Labour
    Cymru am byth!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

What would Maggie Think?

True, though I suspect that BoJo would have been put in the box labelled "amusing courtier"; Alan Clark without the Nazi references. "Even Macbeth has the Porter's scene" and all that.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCL w/ ⁦@georgegrylls⁩

Also, born 6 months before the foundation of Hibernian F.C. (Insert joke about her life being too tragically brief for her to see them win a cup).
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157

This version lasted about as long as Paul McGann's Doctor.
  • Options
    Nick Watt saying Johnson is by-passing whips and running a shadow whip operation of loyalists.

Can't think why myself.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981

Called it.

EXC As many as 20 Tory MPs from the 2019 intake are planning to submit letters of no confidence in Boris Johnson tomorrow.

The number could breach the 54 letters required for a confidence vote. One 2019 Tory MP told me it could be the PM’s “D-Day”, adding: “His time has gone.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1483544039555321864

Whatever. If they are so keen to do it, why don’t they do it now?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

You voted for Plaid and you simply could not canvass for the party with a new leader in view of your statements
  • Options

This version lasted about as long as Paul McGann's Doctor.
    Although may have had a longer career than Fitz?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCL w/ ⁦@georgegrylls⁩

Also, born 6 months before the foundation of Hibernian F.C. (Insert joke about her life being too tragically brief for her to see them win a cup).
    But she was worth her room on this earth long enough to have heard Sunshine on Leith.
  • Options

Ah. Of course, this Cabinet might actually have been called for Boris to resign.
  • Options
    One wonders what a scandal would be called if a politician was mired in controversy regarding some kind of outside doorway or entrance?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Still chuckling at @ydoethur ’s excellent wordplay earlier

54 Shades of Gray

Excellent work.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

One wonders what a scandal would be called if a politician was mired in controversy regarding some kind of outside doorway or entrance?

Plebgate?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

No. Alas. Basically. Where you from? (And numberplates were a pretty big tell in those days).
    Turn around. You aren't free to travel around the country.
    Regardless of your intentions.
    Quite stunning it has been erased from the collective memory.
    Was just a tad more intrusive than having to wear a mask in Asda.
    And cheered to the rafters by the Right.
    The police behaved pretty disgracefully during the miner's strike. No reason to give them even more powers now.

I really hope this Bill dies a death. Having another leader but keeping the same bad laws is - to me - no better than putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

Maybe one or two of you will read the header. The stuff in the Bill may be dull compared to the No 10 comedy act but it is important.

Sigh......
  • Options

Called it.

EXC As many as 20 Tory MPs from the 2019 intake are planning to submit letters of no confidence in Boris Johnson tomorrow.

The number could breach the 54 letters required for a confidence vote. One 2019 Tory MP told me it could be the PM’s “D-Day”, adding: “His time has gone.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1483544039555321864

Whatever. If they are so keen to do it, why don’t they do it now?
    Tad impatient. May looming bit too fast is it?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    dixiedean said:

Gatewaygate doesn't really have the right ring to it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The more you think about that cartoon the more witless it is
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Not sure which idea is more pathetic. That Boris will fight the VONC. Or that a majority of Tory MPs might vote in his favour.
  • Options

Nick Watt saying Johnson is by-passing whips and running a shadow whip operation of loyalists.

Can't think why myself.

He has loyalists? How many?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Chameleon said:

Ooh, if Brady's announcement is a VoNC then tomorrow is going to be quite the day.
    Yes - it does look as though, if there's a VONC, Johnson is going to go down fighting rather than just quit. If he gets, say, 55% Stay vs 45% Go, do we think he'll then soldier on?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    I think obstructing a motorway should be at least 6 months, seeing as it's 20 years or thereabouts if you err 'unobstruct' it.
This discussion has been closed.