Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I still think Johnson will survive – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Emily Thornberry taking no prisoners - she says if the PM has a "scrap of human decency", he would resign and adds "how the hell can [the PM] possibly expect to go before her majesty again... and be able to look her in the eye".
    https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1481901484346417152
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Even if Partygate didn’t bump Prince Andrew off the top slot on last nights front pages, it’s leading R4’s Today.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

The Morning Star
    Mirror
    New Statesman
    Guardian

Daily Express

Found out as a charlatan' UK voters turn on Boris as PM facing growing pressure to resign

https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1481897182064222209?s=20

First the Daily Telegraph and the Financial Times, now the Express. The end is surely nigh?

What’s the Mail’s line?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    Jonathan said:

Mr. Jonathan, I think future PM contenders holding fire are miscalculating.

Yes, this isn't an optimal time to take over. But the damage incurred during any interim to a potential future challenge is worse than axing Johnson quickly and stopping the rot.

From what I can see neither Truss, Sunak nor Hunt are strong enough to challenge.
    In theory, under the process in place, a minister can write a letter to the ‘22 without needing to resign.

The only thing that will possibly get rid of the PM, is one or more cabinet-level resignations.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited January 2022

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: The Prime Minister’s former director of communications James Slack - whose leaving do in No 10 was on April 17th 2021 - “apologises unreservedly for the anger and hurt caused” and says it “should not have happened at the time that it did”.

So the party is confirmed.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1481895687562346499

We’re moving from a scandal a week to a scandal a day. If this keeps up he won’t make it til May.
    It's quite funny, it's as if someone is basically trying to condition the public with some sort of Pavlovian response:

"News of a new Downing street party..."
    "Oh for fuck's sake Boris"

Just a continual stream now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Head once again putting England to the sword here. Game swinging back Australia's way by the over.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Jonathan said:

Yes, this isn't an optimal time to take over. But the damage incurred during any interim to a potential future challenge is worse than axing Johnson quickly and stopping the rot.

From what I can see neither Truss, Sunak nor Hunt are strong enough to challenge.
    There's always Andrea Leadsom.

Though Boris Johnson is scarcely vulnerable to attack on the basis of his childlessness.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Scott_xP said:

Its very lucky some unknown individual close to Boris has got covid today.

The assumption is that this is a lie, but it's just possible the person with covid is BoZo himself
    No, Johnson confirms a positive test for COVID around day 7, giving him another length of time to hide, then fails to test negative until some time after days 5 and 6 of his own isolation.
    Sounds about right.

Stupid is as stupid does.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm blocked by them, apparently.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

They’re waiting until after the May bloodbath. An error of gigantic proportions.
    Do they have any choice? Truss was undermined by bad polls, Hunt does not excite and Sunak doesn’t have any vocal support on the backbenches. Can any of them get 54 letter’s together? Let alone win a vonc. It’s not going to happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Claims of Johnson’s demise are greatly exaggerated imo

I had thought so too - but appearing to diss the Queen as she buried her husband of 70 years may be a gaffe too far even for Teflon Johnson.
  • Options
    NEW: No 10 respond to latest party allegations describing them as a “farewell speech”.

“On this individual’s last day he gave a farewell speech to thank each team for the work they had done, both those who had to be in the office and on a screen for those working from home.”

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1481903001019240454
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Jonathan said:

The sight of the tory establishment circling the wagons is impressive. This whole issue clear as day being shrouded in fifty shades of Gray.

Nope. Not impressive at all. They are simply going to further infuriate people.
    Tbf I think he (rightly) means impressive in the sense that a tapeworm is impressively long.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: No 10 respond to latest party allegations describing them as a “farewell speech”.

“On this individual’s last day he gave a farewell speech to thank each team for the work they had done, both those who had to be in the office and on a screen for those working from home.”

Their modus operandi really is essentially open mockery and irony.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Where’s FUDHY this morning? Signing up to the Plaid Cymru for Liz Truss Leadership Campaign?

Only “Real Tories” (sic) are welcome.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited January 2022

Even if Partygate didn’t bump Prince Andrew off the top slot on last nights front pages, it’s leading R4’s Today.

Partygate now a minor story on BBC News behind the major breaking news that the Australian government has revoked Djokovic's visa this morning.

It was overshadowed by Andrew being stripped of his titles last night.

Not likely to be much coverage in Britain's biggest selling tabloid either as the party was for a No 10 aide going to be deputy editor of the Sun it has emerged. Boris not even present but at Chequers.

Poor Dom!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

The Morning Star
    Mirror
    New Statesman
    Guardian

Daily Express

Found out as a charlatan' UK voters turn on Boris as PM facing growing pressure to resign

https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1481897182064222209?s=20

First the Daily Telegraph and the Financial Times, now the Express. The end is surely nigh?

What’s the Mail’s line?
    It has buried this latest story halfway down its page, so far. It's true that there's a lot of news around at the moment.
  • Options
    Damian Hinds given the hospital pass this morning of defending the partying culture.
    His hesitation has echoes of Big Ben Swain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNjevGdB5g
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Mendacity is as mendacity does.
  • Options
    A disco in the basement. A Suitcase of booze. Belated apologies.
    A PM who said all guidelines were followed at all times in No 10

And a Govt minister says:

‘This has been a difficult time for trust in politics.
    -Damian Hinds
    #r4today

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1481904584977174529
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    I'm basically unsure, but lean towards Boris surviving. He tends to.

But he is damaged goods. A net negative now, like Corbyn in 2019.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Pro_Rata said:

Scott_xP said:

Its very lucky some unknown individual close to Boris has got covid today.

The assumption is that this is a lie, but it's just possible the person with covid is BoZo himself
    No, Johnson confirms a positive test for COVID around day 7, giving him another length of time to hide, then fails to test negative until some time after days 5 and 6 of his own isolation.
    Sounds about right.

Stupid is as stupid does.
    Maybe a whiskey sour got spilt alongside the red wine. Tricky stuff, lemon juice.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

eek said:

It's obvious and surely been posted before
    Ed Morrish
    @edmorrish
    Amazing to think The Sun missed out on this scoop despite the fact that THEIR FUCKING DEPUTY EDITOR WAS FUCKING THERE.

Ordinarily that would get you fired. BUT this isn't ordinary. The newspaper knew these were going on because the guy deciding what politics stories to run was (a) there and (b) the reason for at least one of the parties.

The S*n has chosen not to be a newspaper, to actively participate in covering this up for political reasons. Which they are entitled to do - but they need to stop pretending they are a newspaper.

Ooh Ah Daily Star has had better political coverage than they have.
    All newspapers protect their friends.

In the run up to the MPs expense scandal, the chap who had the pile of information tried the Guardian. He went to the Telegraph, after the Guardian made it clear that they wouldn't publish all the troughers details - just the ones they wanted to.

That ability to decide what was news and what wasn't was the basis of the political power of papers in the old days.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Partygate now a minor story on BBC News behind the major breaking news that the Australian government has revoked Djokovic's visa this morning.

Not likely to be much coverage in Britain's biggest selling tabloid either as the party was for a No 10 aide going to be deputy editor of the Sun it has emerged. Boris not even present but at Chequers.

Poor Dom!
    Were you boozing and dancing until the early hours the night before HM the Queen buried her husband?

If not, why not?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

After shutting out Poles and other nasty foreigners, I wonder how Farage and other xenophobes are going to react to the India visa plan.

I see immigration is rising by 200 000 after Brexit, which I don't mind personally. It's annoying however that they aren't controlling immigration any more than they were before and we have lost our freedom of movement for nothing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!
    Epic Fail
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    On topic, I agree. Actually added a bit to my bet on Starmer yesterday morning when the price was over 9. I don't think Johnson goes before the local elections, barring other revelations. I'll probably look to lay some back before May, though (late yesterday the price was already in a bit).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!
    Pretending this hurts anyone but Johnson is optimistic bordering on the delusional. On BBC’s “most read” stories it’s still number 2 after the newly breaking Djokovic story.
  • Options

eek said:

Ed Morrish
    @edmorrish
    Amazing to think The Sun missed out on this scoop despite the fact that THEIR FUCKING DEPUTY EDITOR WAS FUCKING THERE.

Ordinarily that would get you fired. BUT this isn't ordinary. The newspaper knew these were going on because the guy deciding what politics stories to run was (a) there and (b) the reason for at least one of the parties.

The S*n has chosen not to be a newspaper, to actively participate in covering this up for political reasons. Which they are entitled to do - but they need to stop pretending they are a newspaper.

In the run up to the MPs expense scandal, the chap who had the pile of information tried the Guardian. He went to the Telegraph, after the Guardian made it clear that they wouldn't publish all the troughers details - just the ones they wanted to.

That ability to decide what was news and what wasn't was the basis of the political power of papers in the old days.
    There’s still the unwritten rule of Fleet St, that they don’t go after each other.

I wonder how many ‘parties’ were had in the offices of newspapers and TV stations, in the past two years? Using their definition of ‘party’, that they’re now applying to what went on in Downing St.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Taz said:

After shutting out Poles and other nasty foreigners, I wonder how Farage and other xenophobes are going to react to the India visa plan.

The leave campaign was controlled migration not zero migration.

Indeed Farage himself said he’d rather see skilled people from commonwealth nations come here than unskilled people from the EU.
    You obviously slept through it. The LEAVE campaign was the most overtly racist we've seen in this country since the Smethwick byelection. When history comes to analyse the posters and broadcasts politics students will have some fascinating new material to pore over
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229

eek said:

Ed Morrish
    @edmorrish

Source for that? Wiki merely says

"The information in the leaks published by The Daily Telegraph originated from the parliamentary fees office, and had been offered to other newspaper organisations for more than £150,000.[35] In September 2009, the assistant editor of the Telegraph, Andrew Pierce, revealed in an interview that the newspaper had paid £110,000 for the information, and described it as 'money well spent in the public interest'. The Times and The Sun had turned down an offer to buy the leaked expenses file.[36]"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

I had thought so too - but appearing to diss the Queen as she buried her husband of 70 years may be a gaffe too far even for Teflon Johnson.
    It's a question of when, now.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Taz said:

Indeed Farage himself said he’d rather see skilled people from commonwealth nations come here than unskilled people from the EU.
    You obviously slept through it. The LEAVE campaign was the most overtly racist we've seen in this country since the Smethwick byelection. When history comes to analyse the posters and broadcasts politics students will have some fascinating new material to pore over
    It got boring speaking to people who wanted all the poles and romanians to leave. Not everyone who voted leave was racist, but denying that there was a sizeable "forrin go home" caucus is revising history.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!
    Dom didn't leak this story - it's from after he left and the timing isn't Dom's.

He would have kept quiet until Grey had published and reveal a party or 3 that isn't in the report.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Taz said:

The “racist” campaign that sought to treat people wanting to immigrate to the UK equally according to their merits, rather than allow unlimited numbers of mostly white Europeans, at the expense of people from predominately black and Asian countries?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!
    Pretending this hurts anyone but Johnson is optimistic bordering on the delusional. On BBC’s “most read” stories it’s still number 2 after the newly breaking Djokovic story.
    So now not even No 1 story, if this was the bombshell Cummings still had he would have wanted it No 1 story on every media outlet.

Totally backfired for Cummings now and great relief for Boris who wins the media cycle today not Dom, helped too by his friend Scott Morrison's government revoking Djokovic's visa this morning
  • Options
    Ironically this may well end up being the photo that we most associate with Boris Johnson forever.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Though Boris Johnson is scarcely vulnerable to attack on the basis of his childlessness.
    Hunt is the only candidate who has plausibility in all the relevant fields: He would be the 'reset' candidate, obviously untainted by recent events; he has ministerial experience; he is centrist and would garner support from the centre; he is different in character from Boris; he is a reasonable match for SKS.

Despite all that he is an obvious risk. The question is who has the best chance of being the person to win next time. No-one is in a brilliant position and so it is not obvious that Hunt's position is worse than anyone else.

It isn't plausible that current ministers can avoid permanent association with the present regime, whose image cannot be rescued.

• Options

Are you sure?

Gray will fudge it
    The cabinet will rally round
    Time will allow Boris to undermine challengers.
    There will be no one able to step in.
    It will be too close to May 2024.

The party goes on.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058
    edited January 2022
    Roger said:

Taz said:

No, I didn't sleep through it. Give your head a wobble. What do you get from making such a jerkish comment. This isn't twitter where you can get likes and retweets off fellow clowns. I never made a comment about the overall tone of the leave campaign. I wouldn't dispute there was an element of prejudice in some of it. that wasnt the point I was responding to.

I also voted remain. I didn't like either campaign.

However the leave campaign was based on controlled migration not zero migration.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Leon said:

FPT for TSE

That's quite a plausible theory

I have a few friends in their fifties who have high libidos but their post menopausal wives are no longer, ah, putting out. They aren't used to womanising (they have forgotten how to seduce or flirt) and whoring is too weird, strange or immoral for them

Their decline is absolutely obvious. Lack of sex has turned them into sad mumbling hobos, a bit like Boris right now

More likely their wives are with young virile men and avoiding the old has beens.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!
    Epic Fail
    This story will run and run and run. It is drip drip drip. Death by a thousand cuts. I suspect HYUFD hopes it is over rather than expects it is over.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!
    Dom didn't leak this story - it's from after he left and the timing isn't Dom's.

He would have kept quiet until Grey had published and reveal a party or 3 that isn't in the report.
    All of this is Cummings, this is currently a Cummings v Boris revenge battle
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

I turned on Pb this morning and there was a large picture of the PM's grinning face. Flicked to the end and there was his torso.

Is this in danger of becoming a porn site?

So not a Good Morning; Hello!

Edit. At least the cricket looks more positive!

So it is you to blame. 😊
  • Options
    So we have:

The government shown to be right about Omicron.
    Some good economic data.
    The Chinese spies story potentially embarrassing for Labour.
    Even the weather is good for the time of year.

But everyone is focussed upon the self inflicted damage of Downing Street idiots.
  • Options
    Sir Keir Starmer's going to have great fun next week at PMQs unless Boris the Coward sends Michael Ellis to respond to Starmer.
  • Options

Ironically this may well end up being the photo that we most associate with Boris Johnson forever.

This one will be the campaign version

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Scott_xP said:

FT View: The game is up for Boris Johnson
    https://on.ft.com/3qmNM81

Yet his apology was flawed and inadequate.

It strains the credulity of the most diehard Tory voter for Johnson to claim he believed the event was a “work gathering”. Johnson’s statement in parliament was still couched, moreover, as an apology for any perception of wrongdoing, not for the wrongdoing itself. The prime minister was afterwards reported to be in denial, telling MPs that “sometimes you get the blame for something you don’t deserve”. If so, this betrays how out of touch he is with the public mood.

Voters initially warmed to Johnson because he embodied the anarchic streak that coexists with British respect for rules and fair play. They have forgiven many lapses. Now, however, his cavalier attitude to institutions and to the truth — and the belief that there is one rule for the country and another for its leadership — has become intolerable.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    algarkirk said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Hunt is the only candidate who has plausibility in all the relevant fields: He would be the 'reset' candidate, obviously untainted by recent events; he has ministerial experience; he is centrist and would garner support from the centre; he is different in character from Boris; he is a reasonable match for SKS.

Despite all that he is an obvious risk. The question is who has the best chance of being the person to win next time. No-one is in a brilliant position and so it is not obvious that Hunt's position is worse than anyone else.

It isn't plausible that current ministers can avoid permanent association with the present regime, whose image cannot be rescued.

Hunt is also now less tainted by links to Cummings than Sunak. He is also more heavyweight and serious than Truss.

However Hunt also wants more Covid restrictions than Boris does, which could split the Tory base
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The sight of the tory establishment circling the wagons is impressive. This whole issue clear as day being shrouded in fifty shades of Gray.

It's not going to wash. Even the attempt will make things worse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!

That’s the spin.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!
    So now not even No 1 story, if this was the bombshell Cummings still had he would have wanted it No 1 story on every media outlet.

Totally backfired for Cummings now and great relief for Boris who wins the media cycle today not Dom, helped too by his friend Scott Morrison's government revoking Djokovic's visa this morning
    Good morning

The first post I read is another sycophantic Boris piece by his last remaining disciple

Boris is over and time for you to accept the conservative party is more important than any individual especially one so discredited and now an embarrassment
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Taz said:

It got boring speaking to people who wanted all the poles and romanians to leave. Not everyone who voted leave was racist, but denying that there was a sizeable "forrin go home" caucus is revising history.
    It was the driving force. The PPB for Leave was overtly racist. Even lining up behind a campaign that used the PPB and Farage's poster should have made non racicts wince yet what we discovered was that 52% of our fellow countrymen were either too stupid-being charitable- or happy to be racist
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I see immigration is rising by 200 000 after Brexit, which I don't mind personally. It's annoying however that they aren't controlling immigration any more than they were before and we have lost our freedom of movement for nothing.
    So, lost all the benefits of EU citizenship and gained, er… er… er…
  • Options

So we have:

Some good economic data.

But everyone is focussed upon the self inflicted damage of Downing Street idiots.

Yep, but pretty much every political career is brought to an end by character flaws that manifest themselves over time. The government is doing a pretty good job at the moment but Boris is a congenital liar with no self discipline and its both infectious and fatal.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Maybe, but the moment appears to have passed. No one has acted. Sunak bottled it. Boris is clearly confident he can survive Gray.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

The “racist” campaign that sought to treat people wanting to immigrate to the UK equally according to their merits, rather than allow unlimited numbers of mostly white Europeans, at the expense of people from predominately black and Asian countries?
    No, the racist campaign that wanted a "points based immigration system" where people leave and don't return. Note that we didn't actually use the new system to bring labour into the country when acutely needed, and won't be signing deals allowing unchecked migration from places like India who demand it - and told us so before Brexit - for a trade deal.

Controlling your borders is not racist. But voting Brexit because there are too many brown faces in Tesco is racist. A lot of people did the latter, and Farage et al encouraged them. What do you think the fake Turkey poster was all about?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Taz said:

This is the story that really grinds my gears, around the same time these people were partying.

A lad in the North of the county organised a balloon release to commemorate a lad who took his own life (a very troubled young man who, at a young age, saw his Father murder his Mother). He was advised this would be illegal. Cancelled it. It still went ahead. He got an £800 fine. The community rallied round to pay it. Then Durham cops came back and said, sorry, should have been £10K and landed an 18 year old with a £10K bill for a well meaning gesture to commemorate a tragic loss of life.

I know everyone has a sob story at the moment and dancing nurses on Tik Tok are quite happy to criticise number 10 but this story and the Police reaction to it, around the same time there were parties in number 10 and no comeback at all for these people just pisses me off.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/police-fine-teen-10k-jamie-20522921

This was, wasn't it, the same police force that decided Cummins had no case to answer?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!

Nope Cummings is too clever to release any details now, there is no point.

The thing is you see everything in black in white while what I actually see here is someone joining in at completely the wrong time.

Also this party is post Cummings' departure and you've previously repeated multiple times that Cummings doesn't have anything post his departure (which this party definitely is)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!

Boris "wins the media cycle today"???

You're like the engineer on the Titanic screaming at his drowning engineers to keep the breakers in.
  • Options

Taz said:

This is the story that really grinds my gears, around the same time these people were partying.

A lad in the North of the county organised a balloon release to commemorate a lad who took his own life (a very troubled young man who, at a young age, saw his Father murder his Mother). He was advised this would be illegal. Cancelled it. It still went ahead. He got an £800 fine. The community rallied round to pay it. Then Durham cops came back and said, sorry, should have been £10K and landed an 18 year old with a £10K bill for a well meaning gesture to commemorate a tragic loss of life.

I know everyone has a sob story at the moment and dancing nurses on Tik Tok are quite happy to criticise number 10 but this story and the Police reaction to it, around the same time there were parties in number 10 and no comeback at all for these people just pisses me off.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/police-fine-teen-10k-jamie-20522921

This was, wasn't it, the same police force that decided Cummins had no case to answer?
    Yep Durham police (who are actually not that bad in comparison to say North Yorks and Cleveland but that isn't a high bar).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Are you sure?

Gray will fudge it

The party goes on.
    If the party goes on it won't be May 24. You don't go for an early election when the polls show that you will get smashed.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Maybe, but the moment appears to have passed. No one has acted. Sunak bottled it. Boris is clearly confident he can survive Gray.
    Were Sunak to be planning to resign it will be when Grey's report comes out.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Head once again putting England to the sword here. Game swinging back Australia's way by the over.

Does this never end? We seem to have been playing them for months.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Nigelb said:

I turned on Pb this morning and there was a large picture of the PM's grinning face. Flicked to the end and there was his torso.

Is this in danger of becoming a porn site?

So not a Good Morning; Hello!

Edit. At least the cricket looks more positive!

So it is you to blame. 😊
    Apparently!
    Apologies.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Jonathan said:

Are you sure?

Gray will fudge it

The party goes on.
    If the party goes on it won't be May 24. You don't go for an early election when the polls show that you will get smashed.
    May24 was the last date.
  • Options

FF43 said:

So, lost all the benefits of EU citizenship and gained, er… er… er…
    Higher pay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Hunt is also now less tainted by links to Cummings than Sunak. He is also more heavyweight and serious than Truss.

However Hunt also wants more Covid restrictions than Boris does, which could split the Tory base
    In which case the analogy is still 1994-7. An obviously fatally wounded PM limping on. Partly for lack of agreement on the alternative, but also because the gig looks impossible. Once defeat is baked in, it's tempting to wait and take over post-defeat. Something similar happened to Labour in late 2016/early 2017.

It feels too early to be thinking like that, but who knows? At some point, the Conservatives might slip into "make out like bandits until the election, for then we die." One Telegraph hack called Boris described the run-up to 1997 as "beery, demented futility". That may be the template.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    UK economy officially back where it was in Feb 2020. Now comes the hard part or recovering lost potential.

Right now I don't see it, working people have got two whopping tax rises coming (NI and fiscal drag, especially on the basic rate threshold) and a 40% rise in energy bills. That will wipe out any above inflation pay rises people may have been awarded this year.

I'm generally optimistic about the UK economy as there's simply a lot of low hanging fruit in terms of GDP, right now I think tax rises and cost of living increases will mean 2022, 2023 and 2024 are all written off as people can't afford to splash out. Worse, our major export markets are also all going to have the same issues, 7% inflation in the US, 6% in the EU.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!
    Were you boozing and dancing until the early hours the night before HM the Queen buried her husband?

If not, why not?
    To be fair, it's what he would have wanted.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    edited January 2022
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

Don't you get it? People were scared stiff about being swamped by all those black Romanians. That's why 17 million voted leave.

In the same Remainer fantasy world in which Shell and Unilever will move their headquarters, nobody will ever want to do a deal with the UK again, there will be 5 million unemployed and everybody will starve and die without their medicines.

There are plenty of drawbacks to leaving the EU, and not all Leavers are perfect people and many exaggerated the drawbacks of remaining. But pinning racist labels on them is simply wrong.
  • Options

So we have:

Some good economic data.

Basic point - the government were lucky with Omicron, not right. At the time they decided to ride it out the data didn't exist from any source showing that "it'll be fine" was the appropriate response.

We're all very glad that Omicron has burned itself out and that the tidal wave is receding. But hoping the wave doesn't sweep us away and getting lucky is not making the right call.
  • Options

In which case the analogy is still 1994-7. An obviously fatally wounded PM limping on. Partly for lack of agreement on the alternative, but also because the gig looks impossible. Once defeat is baked in, it's tempting to wait and take over post-defeat. Something similar happened to Labour in late 2016/early 2017.

It feels too early to be thinking like that, but who knows? At some point, the Conservatives might slip into "make out like bandits until the election, for then we die." One Telegraph hack called Boris described the run-up to 1997 as "beery, demented futility". That may be the template.

The Tories have 2 years to rescue the next election if they act now.

The calculation must be how much more damage BoZo can do on the way out...
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

Don't you get it? People were scared stiff about being swamped by all those black Romanians. That's why 17 million voted leave.
    It was the year after the migration crisis from the middle east, which certainly contributed hugely to the leave campaign.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited January 2022
    Taz said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

No, I didn't sleep through it. Give your head a wobble. What do you get from making such a jerkish comment. This isn't twitter where you can get likes and retweets off fellow clowns. I never made a comment about the overall tone of the leave campaign. I wouldn't dispute there was an element of prejudice in some of it. that wasnt the point I was responding to.

I also voted remain. I didn't like either campaign.

However the leave campaign was based on controlled migration not zero migration.
    Even if the Leave campaign was based on controlled migration rather less of it, which is doubtful, they aren't delivering on it. In the meantime we have lost our liberty for nothing.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I said before I half-expected noone to know what was happening with Djokovic literally minutes before his first match of the tournament and we seem to keep inching closer and closer to that manifesting itself in reality.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

UK economy officially back where it was in Feb 2020. Now comes the hard part or recovering lost potential.

Right now I don't see it, working people have got two whopping tax rises coming (NI and fiscal drag, especially on the basic rate threshold) and a 40% rise in energy bills. That will wipe out any above inflation pay rises people may have been awarded this year.

I'm generally optimistic about the UK economy as there's simply a lot of low hanging fruit in terms of GDP, right now I think tax rises and cost of living increases will mean 2022, 2023 and 2024 are all written off as people can't afford to splash out. Worse, our major export markets are also all going to have the same issues, 7% inflation in the US, 6% in the EU.

Bah, I forecast that the economy would go above pre Covid levels in December and it was November. I must resist this excessive pessimism.
  • Options
    The ball has come loose from the scrum - and Tories are standing gawping, with no one picking it up.

My column on why the Conservatives are not ready for a leadership contest:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/13/regicidal-tories-wont-oust-boris-successor-steps/
  • Options
    I see that the people who have been claiming that 'all the Europeans have left the country' are now claiming that immigration is out of control.

The truth, as usual, is somewhere between the two extremes.
  • Options

So we have:

Some good economic data.

Basic point - the government were lucky with Omicron, not right. At the time they decided to ride it out the data didn't exist from any source showing that "it'll be fine" was the appropriate response.

We're all very glad that Omicron has burned itself out and that the tidal wave is receding. But hoping the wave doesn't sweep us away and getting lucky is not making the right call.
    No, they weren't lucky with Omicron. They followed the science from South Africa, the data did exist but only in Gauteng and other parts of South Africa. They made the right call.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504
    eek said:

Yep - he's fatally wounded and the Tory party is morally destroyed but Boris and the party can keep going to 2024

But every day that continues like this will cause the Tory party long term (possible irreparable) harm
    But will it? They are famous for their Dr Who like reinventions. Dangers in all this for the opposition include:

- So much focus on Downing St parties that a narrative emerges that this is the only thing wrong with the government. Otherwise they were much of a muchness. People forget the chaos over HS2/3, PPE contracts and Downing St makeover, universal credit, the EU relationship etc.
    - Boris as the scapegoat taking the Tories' sins with them into the desert. New fresh faced leader suitably critical of the ancien regime and all is forgiven
    - Outrage fatigue and a few Labour stories (like the Chinese spy) that encourage a "they're all as bad as each other"
    - The now apparently inevitable Russian invasion of Ukraine which gets everyone rallying to the flag yet again

Against that we have the huge problem of energy prices, which I can't see an easy solution to especially if Russia does invade.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!

You're like the engineer on the Titanic screaming at his drowning engineers to keep the breakers in.
    The engineer on the Titanic is waiting until the opinion polls say the hull is sitting firmly on the sea floor. ‘Real Engineers’ consider the floor tilting and the icy water rushing in as being no cause for concern. And anyway, the drowning engineers are only Jocks. Entirely dispensable.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    I can’t see how any Tory MP looks at the current management of the party and concludes it is best to limp on with Johnson in charge.

Unless they take a similar mindset to HFUYD, in which case I can half believe they think Johnson is the messiah who will lead them to glory again in 2024
  • Options
    TimS said:

- Boris as the scapegoat taking the Tories' sins with them into the desert. New fresh faced leader suitably critical of the ancien regime and all is forgiven

Depends.

If the new leader is a headbanger, they can criticise BoZo for fucking up Brexit.

If they are not, any criticism of BoZo will inherently also be critical of "the project" and risk civil war.

Which is nice...
  • Options
    Farage calls Australia, along with New Zealand the only country we have a new post Brexit trade deal with, a 'banana republic' and 'nasty authoritarian country' for removing a visa from the unvaccinated Djokovic

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1481910092450705408?s=20
  • Options
    Politico in France have had a go at translating “marmalade-dropper” re: the latest Partygate claims - suggesting you could compare it to “choking on your croissant” https://twitter.com/TomHourigan/status/1481892825490993152/photo/1
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farage calls Australia, along with New Zealand the only country we have a new post Brexit trade deal with, a 'banana republic' and 'nasty authoritarian country' for removing a visa from the unvaccinated Djokovic

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1481910092450705408?s=20

You have to wonder who is pulling his strings
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

Jonathan said:

Are you sure?

Gray will fudge it

The party goes on.
    Isn't May 24 the bitter end under Fixed Term Parliament Act? Although simply extending the fixed term from 5 to 25 years might work. So next GE May 44.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

It was the driving force. The PPB for Leave was overtly racist. Even lining up behind a campaign that used the PPB and Farage's poster should have made non racicts wince yet what we discovered was that 52% of our fellow countrymen were either too stupid-being charitable- or happy to be racist
    I had been told repeatedly by a born-and-bred Thornabian that the town was riddled with "Parochial Bigotry". If you weren't also born and bred you were an outsider and always would be. The mosque tries and tries to be part of the town but gets shunned, the Sikh Gurdwara had "Muslims go Home" scrawled on it after brexit - the local racists being so think they don't know what a Sikh is.
  • Options
    eek said:

Taz said:

Yep Durham police (who are actually not that bad in comparison to say North Yorks and Cleveland but that isn't a high bar).
    I would agree that usually Durham Police are pretty good. This just really jarred because they fined the lad, he accepted it, then they came back and demanded a life changing sum for a well meaning 17 year old and their response was stereotypical corporate bollocks.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Poor Dom!

The engineer on the Titanic is waiting until the opinion polls say the hull is sitting firmly on the sea floor. ‘Real Engineers’ consider the floor tilting and the icy water rushing in as being no cause for concern. And anyway, the drowning engineers are only Jocks. Entirely dispensable.
    I don't think HYUFD is a racist. That is a very unpleasant slur which should be beneath you, but then you are a nationalist.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Worse worse our major trading market is more expensive and difficult to trade with than it was. So even if we do recover our trading nous we've made it so much more difficult for ourselves.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    "I STILL THINK JOHNSON WILL SURVIVE"

He may. But the question is: what good does his survival do for the country, or the Conservative Party?

He had two main policy areas: Brexit and the levelling up agenda. The first of those had been achieved, and the second seems to be going poorly. Covid has swamped him, and defined his premiership.

*If* he survives, he will be wounded, with much of his power within and without the party lessened. What does he hope to achieve with his majority after the Covid crisis is over? What's his vision?

We need someone else, someone with a positive vision for the country (not multi-thousand word WORN essays).
  • Options
    Exclusive:

Sue Gray's inquiry not expected to find evidence of criminality over No 10 parties

But she is considering censuring PM for his lack of judgement

She will castigate No 10 drinking culture

Aides & officials will face disciplinary proceedings

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/downing-street-lockdown-parties-were-not-criminal-gray-inquiry-to-say-kg6jtcnkj
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Covid restrictions are now the same as Boris.

Finished.
This discussion has been closed.