Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Johnson exit betting now has 2022 as a 61% chance – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman
    EXCLUSIVE Times/YouGov poll gives Labour their biggest lead since Dec 2013

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Who are the 28 and what's it going to take for them to stand up and say this isn't ok?

On this site I think there's only one Tory left in the village.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well done that Bristol jury. The police were too scared to intervene as a man set about the Gill sculpture (one of the most poetic pieces of public statuary in central London) so he was allowed to continue for two hours, thereby significantly damaging it, and the cops did absolutely nothing. They merely bleated "please come down and we can talk about it"

Literally.

We are lost. We have lost all cultural backbone and self confidence. We are finished as a civilisation, from Paris to Portland Place, from Seattle to Saint Denis. Endgame

We will probably be allowed to boast about our property prices for a few more years

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/central-london-bbc-headquarters-statue-eric-gill-b976377.html

I am not sure how they could safely get him down. Taser and a mattress, and hope he landed in the right place?
    Fuck it, if he broke a limb who cares. If he broke his neck who cares. He was publicly smashing up publicly owned art. Can you imagine the police of any previous generation standing underneath him, FOR TWO HOURS, as he smashed up a statue, and all they can do is impotently bleat "please come down and we can talk about it"??

We are a defeated culture
    Chaos under Ed Miliband.
    If I could wind back the clock to 2015 and take chaos with Ed Miliband right now, I wouldn’t think twice.
    Yep. It's pretty galling to have one of the most outspoken Tories and Brexiters on here burbling about

"We are a defeated culture."

When he's been on the winning side in every single last fucking vote since 2005, while the "woke" have lost every one.
    If we are a defeated culture, then whose bloody fault is it?
    Excellent post @dixiedean :+1:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022
    In another universe where Boris wasn't having loads of "work meetings", he could be getting credit for again fast booster roll out and sticking with Plan B looks like has been the right call and England will be past Omicron before the rest of Europe with minimum deaths.
  • Options
    Front page of The Times.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

I hear the bell tolling for Boris
    Nah. They’ll never do it - at least not soon.
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

Yes that is a Labour Majority.
    *without Scotland*

Which I've said should be their ultimate aim all along.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881
    The gentle "flimp" of a letter being pushed into the box. Yougov 10ppts.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

A very plausible outcome of a VONC is Johnson winning because of various factions trying to prevent a rival from winning. Then we have to wait for 2023 for the next go.

Or he narrowly wins a VONC and the next leaked video/email/photo appears...
    The longer he remains in place the further down the sewer he drags the Conservative Party. As a partisan non-Conservative I like that notion... but then again let's just see the back of the wretched man.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,448
    Good evening. I've been offline since Sunday. Has anything happened since then?
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

I did say a while ago a Labour majority was possible and was laughed at for it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

From the last GE

Lab 38 (+6)
    Con 28 (-17)
    LDem 13 (+1)
    Green 7 (+4)
    RefUK (+2) (From Brexit)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Andy_JS said:

Nothing at all, absolutely nothing...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Well done that Bristol jury. The police were too scared to intervene as a man set about the Gill sculpture (one of the most poetic pieces of public statuary in central London) so he was allowed to continue for two hours, thereby significantly damaging it, and the cops did absolutely nothing. They merely bleated "please come down and we can talk about it"

Literally.

We are lost. We have lost all cultural backbone and self confidence. We are finished as a civilisation, from Paris to Portland Place, from Seattle to Saint Denis. Endgame

We will probably be allowed to boast about our property prices for a few more years

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/central-london-bbc-headquarters-statue-eric-gill-b976377.html

Wasn't it more of the issue with the guy's safety? He was up a ladder and so on. Possibly mentally unstable?
    Leon has found a reason to attack the forces of wokery. Leave him be, he is happy.
    Even when it's an anti woke nutter attacking a statue, it's the fault of the woke. It must be wonderful to be someone for whom every question has the same answer.
    Or, more simply, I disapprove of public art being randomly vandalised and the fucking idiot thugs that do it getting away with it. This applies to the anti-paedo nutter attacking the Gill statue AND the posho twats rolling Colston into the river

I submit that my position is the opinion held by most people in this country. Don't go around smashing up or destroying art. If you dislike the art, for whatever reason, we are a democracy and you have multiple avenues to express your discontent and see your iconoclastic desires realised, or not

That's the whole damn point of a democracy. All else is mob rule, or a police state. Take your pick

You're sounding more blimpish by the day. I blame lockdown.
  • Options
    Graham Brady better get himself a fork lift truck for his mail bag.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

So after all that Boris still wins more seats than John Major 1997, William Hague 2001 and even Michael Howard 2005.

And that is after the worst week of his premiership and midterm and after a media and Cummings onslaught, hardly Armageddon
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

From the last GE

Lab 38 (+6)
    Con 28 (-17)
    LDem 13 (+1)
    Green 7 (+4)
    RefUK (+2) (From Brexit)
    Put a fork in him.

He's done.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

First sub-30 for the Tories, but not the last.

Also the first to reach HY’s “at least Labour aren’t ten points ahead” threshold.
    Ah but Castle Point is still held with a five figure majority on these numbers.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stop doing new threads just after I've had my second glass of << checks notes >> Fautor Aurore Rara Neagru Vin Sec Rosu 2018

You're interrupting my feistiness

It is, by the way, a sensational wine. The viticulture of Moldova is a fucking revelation

https://vidawines.co.uk/product/fautor-aurore-rara-neagra/

https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews/moldova/valu-lui-traian/fautor-aurore-rara-neagra-valu-lui-traian-moldova-2018-51902

Wines of Moldova were one key reason why the Russians insisted on (re-) taking it (Bessarabia) in from the Romanians post 1944.
    Is that true? Brilliant, if so

Because the wine is just amazing. This is maybe the 3rd or 4th stunner I have tried

All of south east European wine is making a stellar comeback (the new Greek white wines! Ah!) but Moldova in particular is superb value
    It's on my to-visit list. Probably a loop through Ukraine, Transnistria, Romania and maybe back into Ukraine
    Yes, I have been thinking about it too, but would add Bukovina and Odessa to the trip. Both sound really interesting.
    Would probably start in Odesa - there is a train to Chișinau via Tiraspol. Bukovina does look interesting but maybe a different trip.
  • Options

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

That's only possible on current seats, not the new boundaries

on the new boundaries it's Lab 313 and Tories 234.
  • Options

Front page of The Times.

So 62% of Tory voters still want Boris to stay then
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,794
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Literally.

I am not sure how they could safely get him down. Taser and a mattress, and hope he landed in the right place?
    Fuck it, if he broke a limb who cares. If he broke his neck who cares. He was publicly smashing up publicly owned art. Can you imagine the police of any previous generation standing underneath him, FOR TWO HOURS, as he smashed up a statue, and all they can do is impotently bleat "please come down and we can talk about it"??

Chaos under Ed Miliband.
    If I could wind back the clock to 2015 and take chaos with Ed Miliband right now, I wouldn’t think twice.
    Yep. It's pretty galling to have one of the most outspoken Tories and Brexiters on here burbling about

When he's been on the winning side in every single last fucking vote since 2005, while the "woke" have lost every one.
    The Woke have been totally winning the Culture Wars since about 1990, and no Tory or rightwing UK government has bothered - or dared - to take them on. Tories might have won elections but they lost these battles, time and again. Partly because the economic case was always seen as more important, and everything else was ignored - and so the Woke gained more and more cultural territory. Only now as the insane demands of the Woke become visibly repulsive (allow men with penises in ladies' locker rooms!) is there any kind of pushback, and even then it is enfeebled and effete

As in: police saying "please come down and we can talk about it" to a man smashing up a famous statue for two hours. For fuck's sake

I fear it is now too late. Go long Moldovan wine. Stock up on jamon iberica de bellota. Fill your cellar with English fizz. Enjoy the last hedonistic delights of the hegemonic Western world (1493-2001), as it enters its long sad twilight

• Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

One thing is for sure, the Tories won't let there be a GE before the new boundaries come in.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Front page of The Times.

Nope, that figure contains DKs.
  • Options
    WOW

Who would make the best prime minister?

Starmer 35 (+2)
    Johnson 23 (-5)

60% of people think Johnson should resign, including 38% of people who voted Conservative at the last general election
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

So after all that Sir Keir STILL cannot even get a majority on the new boundaries even after the avalanche of attacks Boris has faced this week
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Labour still only on 38%, could have been far worse than that. I was expecting Labour to at least hit 40% after this onslaught and be over 10% ahead and be back to near Blair pre 1997 levels based on all the hype. Instead Starmer merely matching Ed Miliband's lead over Cameron in December 2013.

So movement to the LDs and RefUK still on 4% and clearly some Tories gone DK but those can be reclaimed. However I would expect a VONC still in due course, though on those numbers Boris could still survive it
    You can also say yougov are the most consistent in leaping around poll to poll, more sensitive to events day to day, most likely to show the biggest Boris swing back in their next one. That’s their trend isn’t it.

On the negative though, anti Tory vote lenders 58% Tories 28%?
  • Options

In another universe where Boris wasn't having loads of "work meetings", he could be getting credit for again fast booster roll out and sticking with Plan B looks like has been the right call and England will be past Omicron before the rest of Europe with minimum deaths.

That would have to be a universe in which an entirely different Johnson exists. One without the mendacity, the superficial charm, and the complete lack of empathy. That Johnson wouldn’t be PM.
  • Options
    6% think Johnson has been honest in responding to questions about Downing Street parties
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

One thing is for sure, the Tories won't let there be a GE before the new boundaries come in.
    On current polls they will need to run the clock right down to the five years.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,903

Graham Brady better get himself a fork lift truck for his mail bag.....

It’s not Brady Old Lady’s spine that concerns me, it’s the backbone of the rest of the PCP.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

So after all that Boris still wins more seats than John Major 1997, William Hague 2001 and even Michael Howard 2005.

And that is after the worst week of his premiership and midterm and after a media and Cummings onslaught, hardly Armageddon
    You're like one of the musicians on the Titanic aren't you?

The ship may be sinking but you'll keep playing the music for as long as you can and go down with the ship.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Literally.

Wasn't it more of the issue with the guy's safety? He was up a ladder and so on. Possibly mentally unstable?
    Leon has found a reason to attack the forces of wokery. Leave him be, he is happy.
    Even when it's an anti woke nutter attacking a statue, it's the fault of the woke. It must be wonderful to be someone for whom every question has the same answer.
    Or, more simply, I disapprove of public art being randomly vandalised and the fucking idiot thugs that do it getting away with it. This applies to the anti-paedo nutter attacking the Gill statue AND the posho twats rolling Colston into the river

I submit that my position is the opinion held by most people in this country. Don't go around smashing up or destroying art. If you dislike the art, for whatever reason, we are a democracy and you have multiple avenues to express your discontent and see your iconoclastic desires realised, or not

That's the whole damn point of a democracy. All else is mob rule, or a police state. Take your pick
    This sort of thing didn't happen when Gordon Brown was in charge. Maybe you've been voting for the wrong people to run the country?
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

Surprised labour only improve by 1%

However on this poll even @HYUFD will change his mind (maybe)

Boris to go by the end of the month
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

Front page of The Times.

Nope, that figure contains DKs.
    If barely more than a third of 2019 Tory voters want Boris to go, Boris likely stays
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stop doing new threads just after I've had my second glass of << checks notes >> Fautor Aurore Rara Neagru Vin Sec Rosu 2018

It is, by the way, a sensational wine. The viticulture of Moldova is a fucking revelation

https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews/moldova/valu-lui-traian/fautor-aurore-rara-neagra-valu-lui-traian-moldova-2018-51902

Wines of Moldova were one key reason why the Russians insisted on (re-) taking it (Bessarabia) in from the Romanians post 1944.

Because the wine is just amazing. This is maybe the 3rd or 4th stunner I have tried

All of south east European wine is making a stellar comeback (the new Greek white wines! Ah!) but Moldova in particular is superb value
    It's on my to-visit list. Probably a loop through Ukraine, Transnistria, Romania and maybe back into Ukraine
    Doesn't Putin have a similar itinerary in mind?
    I have a drunken weekend in Lviv on the back burner, for when restrictions are lifted. Hopefully Uncle Vova won't get that far west.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

No chance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

So after all that Sir Keir STILL cannot even get a majority on the new boundaries even after the avalanche of attacks Boris has faced this week
    It takes a week for a story to reach all the general public - if today the figure is 28% I can easily see it being 25 or less early next week.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Labour still only on 38%, could have been far worse than that. I was expecting Labour to at least hit 40% after this onslaught and be over 10% ahead and be back to near Blair pre 1997 levels based on all the hype. Instead Starmer merely matching Ed Miliband's lead over Cameron in December 2013.

So movement to the LDs and RefUK still on 4% and clearly some Tories gone DK but those can be reclaimed. However I would expect a VONC still in due course, though on those numbers Boris could still survive it
    All I can hear when I read this is Paul Ritter's character in Chernobyl saying "3.6 Roentgen, not bad not terrible".
  • Options
    I wonder what Boris would have to do for HYUFD to lose his support.
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

I don’t wish to belittle your good work, but anti Tory vote lenders 58% Tories 28% in reality pushes Tories way below 200, Lib Dems benefitting above 20?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Who are the 28 and what's it going to take for them to stand up and say this isn't ok?

Loyal Tories, unlike you
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

It's just a flesh wound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UijhbHvxWrA
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

You are utterly ridiculous
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,519

Is Allegra Stratton some sort of gay icon ?

If not why was Chris Bryant wibbling on about her ?

Bryant's point was a good one. Johnson will take the cowardly bully's way out, and fire an underling to take the heat off himself. He has form.
  • Options

Call Indyref2 and call the Queen a thick German housewife.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Doesn't Putin have a similar itinerary in mind?
    I have a drunken weekend in Lviv on the back burner, for when restrictions are lifted. Hopefully Uncle Vova won't get that far west.
    I actually have a Dildo Knapper's Gazette COMMISSION to go to Odessa in March. Wizzair are flying me out. Might be *lively*
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

6% think Johnson has been honest in responding to questions about Downing Street parties

So HYFUD answered this poll 70 times?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

… and there’s the full Roger.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Nothing at all, absolutely nothing...
    But you can feel it coming…
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

It's possible to get more than a ten point lead.

It's also possible to do better than UNS suggests.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

No chance.
    Every chance
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Loyal Tories, unlike you
    You are not loyal - you voted for Plaid
  • Options

I am not ruling out Boris having said the second.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

How many times you have to be told not to rely on polls published on the day?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

After taking the UK back into the EU.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

Give it up HYUFD. He’s done for.
  • Options

Vote Labour? ;)
  • Options

It is common knowledge that Boris Johnson thinks Prince Andrew is thick as pigshit after attending a few events with him.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Literally.

The evidence of a defeated culture was the police kneeling at the BLM riots and not protecting the centopah when it was being trashed; whilst the supposed conservative government looked on, doing nothing. Looking back, that was the point when Britain as we knew it died.

As for this, is just criminal damage - not a good justification for an extra judicial killing/wounding. Plus it seems possible the guy has some sort of mental health problem.

• Options

It is common knowledge that Boris Johnson thinks Prince Andrew is thick as pigshit after attending a few events with him.
    Doesn't every body think that?
  • Options
    Probably wishful thinking on my part, but is it possible that as the penny drops with the wider public that actually Johnson is a lying scoundrel who will literally say anything, that they might think 'hold on what about that Brexit he sold me?'
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Literally.

Chaos under Ed Miliband.

The Woke have been totally winning the Culture Wars since about 1990, and no Tory or rightwing UK government has bothered - or dared - to take them on. Tories might have won elections but they lost these battles, time and again. Partly because the economic case was always seen as more important, and everything else was ignored - and so the Woke gained more and more cultural territory. Only now as the insane demands of the Woke become visibly repulsive (allow men with penises in ladies' locker rooms!) is there any kind of pushback, and even then it is enfeebled and effete

As in: police saying "please come down and we can talk about it" to a man smashing up a famous statue for two hours. For fuck's sake

I fear it is now too late. Go long Moldovan wine. Stock up on jamon iberica de bellota. Fill your cellar with English fizz. Enjoy the last hedonistic delights of the hegemonic Western world (1493-2001), as it enters its long sad twilight

Well. Stop voting Tory then.
    They clearly aren't up to it in your eyes.
    Or emigrate.
    Cos the UK public aren't up to it.
  • Options
    This is 2007 all over again.

A PM shredding his reputation by denying something we all know he did, instead of thinking about calling a snap election we have attending a lockdown busting party.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Is Allegra Stratton some sort of gay icon ?

If not why was Chris Bryant wibbling on about her ?

Bryant's point was a good one. Johnson will take the cowardly bully's way out, and fire an underling to take the heat off himself. He has form.
    It’s why Reynolds is still in post. But Reynolds is now unlikely to be enough.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Literally.

The evidence of a defeated culture was the police kneeling at the BLM riots and not protecting the centopah when it was being trashed; whilst the supposed conservative government looked on, doing nothing. Looking back, that was the point when Britain as we knew it died.

As for this, is just criminal damage - not a good justification for an extra judicial killing/wounding. Plus it seems possible the guy has some sort of mental health problem.

I was AT the BLM riots, doing research into the resilience of Portland stone. What unfolded was - genuinely - much much worse - in a depressing way - than you can ever imagine
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Loyal Tories, unlike you
    "Loyal Tories"

Concept that both Winston Churchill and Boris Johnson would regard with deserved contempt.

Albeit for quite different reasons.
  • Options

I think he was also mystified that Andrew is the Queen's favourite child.
  • Options

That's getting close to "Have you been decapitated: Yes" levels isn't it?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Literally.

I agree with you, Leon. Mob rule is a very unpleasant nasty side of some people. They didn't have to pull the staute down like that. It could have been boxed pending a final decision and removal at a later date. Much more dignified.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561

A PM shredding his reputation by denying something we all know he did, instead of thinking about calling a snap election we have attending a lockdown busting party.

At least Brown's denial was not about a crime.
  • Options

That's getting close to "Have you been decapitated: Yes" levels isn't it?
    And have you ever seen a ghost.
  • Options
    We are quibbling about 25 mins when the pandemic has lasted 700 days says Jacob Rees Mogg on BBC2
  • Options

We shall see if history repeats itself and the PMs party find themselves paralysed with indecision, unable to bring themselves to topple the leader but stuck in a desperate death spiral seeing the ground get closer and closer….

Time to see if the ruthless stereotype applied to the Tory Party finally holds true.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022

At least Brown's denial was not about a crime.
    Erhhhhhh......Smeargate. For starters, Nadine Dorries got paid damages.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

That really says it all: the new boundaries are utterly crackers. Jeremy Mander would be proud.
  • Options

Boris's problem is that he will not get a lot of credit for the vaccine rollout - no govt would. Protecting Public Health is one of the functions we expect from a govt. If they do it well then they are doing the job they were elected to do and there is no praise in that.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090
    DougSeal said:

That would have to be a universe in which an entirely different Johnson exists. One without the mendacity, the superficial charm, and the complete lack of empathy. That Johnson wouldn’t be PM.
    That's not quite true. A Johnson who had a competent person in charge of things while Boris did the frontman stuff would have ensured that the Paterson debacle, and probably the whole wallpaper nonsense, didn't happen. Then we probably still wouldn't know about all the lockdown parties.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

”Boris will win the referendum which has been called to cement Scotland’s place in the Union for a generation, and polls show that 52% of Tory voters already knew that the Queen was German. Besides, Starmer should be 50% ahead by now to stand any chance of winning the next election…”
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Loyal Tories, unlike you
    You aren't a real Tory, HYUFD. You voted Remain, remember?
  • Options

We are quibbling about 25 mins when the pandemic has lasted 700 days says Jacob Rees Mogg on BBC2

The only person quibbling is the Prime Bleeding Minister.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, I have been thinking about it too, but would add Bukovina and Odessa to the trip. Both sound really interesting.
    Would probably start in Odesa - there is a train to Chișinau via Tiraspol. Bukovina does look interesting but maybe a different trip.
    Sounds a good plan. Chisinau has a certain grittiness it seems. This Tiktoker has a few good videos. Great taste in music too.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZML1cLD7p/
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Were you castigating Cameron as much when Ed Miliband had a more than 10% lead over the Tories midterm?
  • Options

So what's the consensus:

1) The party was Boris's idea
    2) The party was Martin Reynolds's idea but with Boris's approval
    3) The party was Martin Reynolds's idea with Boris not really knowing but not being bothered about it

I think we can discount:

4) The party was Martin Reynolds's idea with Boris not really knowing but being unhappy about it

5) it was a surprise “your back from the dead” party thrown by nut nut, Raab and Gove. That’s why those who came from the cabinet office thought it funny to turn up in zombie masks. And despite not being in the mood, due to so many sad deaths in his country, Boris politely played along - like the good egg he is. As a neat tie in with the c-pap, they had nitrous oxide and party balloons, and ironically when it emerges that will be the detail to destroy him
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Loyal Tories, unlike you
    Most people vote and think with their own mind, rather than via slavish devotion to a political party.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

That's not quite true. A Johnson who had a competent person in charge of things while Boris did the frontman stuff would have ensured that the Paterson debacle, and probably the whole wallpaper nonsense, didn't happen. Then we probably still wouldn't know about all the lockdown parties.
    Yes, Paterson and Peppa Pig started this ball rolling. Without those, Cummo might well have sat on his box of tricks much longer.
  • Options

We shall see if history repeats itself and the PMs party find themselves paralysed with indecision, unable to bring themselves to topple the leader but stuck in a desperate death spiral seeing the ground get closer and closer….

Time to see if the ruthless stereotype applied to the Tory Party finally holds true.
    OTOH, this is the party that gave us Hague, IDS and Howard...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited January 2022
    Normally I write one of the Sunday threads on a Thursday night, and the other one, Saturday afternoon/evening.

I think I might have to write them late Saturday night now, no point writing them a few days in advance.
  • Options

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but is it possible that as the penny drops with the wider public that actually Johnson is a lying scoundrel who will literally say anything, that they might think 'hold on what about that Brexit he sold me?'

Wishful thinking indeed...

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Were you castigating Cameron so much when Ed Miliband had a more than 10% lead over the Tories midterm?
    No, because Dave (pbuh) had better ratings than Ed Miliband and always led the best PM question, this is terminal for Boris Johnson, he trails Starmer on those metrics, quite substantially.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

That really says it all: the new boundaries are utterly crackers. Jeremy Mander would be proud.
    Quite geared though. A bit of tactical voting and a lot more seats would be lost.
  • Options

I think he was also mystified that Andrew is the Queen's favourite child.
    I've never met Prince Andrew, but I know multiple people that have met him, sitting next to him at lunches, dinners etc

The UNIVERSAL impression is of a boring, thick, entitled snob - and quite insufferable company. I have met other royals, and I know people that know other royals, and this is NOT true of Andrew's relatives. They get mixed reviews, often pitying, or curious, or admiring, and never this 100% UGH OMFG

He must be quite exceptionally unpleasant

I'm watching Starz' The White Queen at the moment (quite a good bit of historical drama, based on the Wars of the Roses). The Yorks and Lanacasters would have known *what to do* in this situation. Pretty ruthless
  • Options
    Nokes MP calls for Boris 'I see no party' Johnson to resign.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Boris's problem is that he will not get a lot of credit for the vaccine rollout - no govt would. Protecting Public Health is one of the functions we expect from a govt. If they do it well then they are doing the job they were elected to do and there is no praise in that.
    I would take some issue with that. He did get some credit for the rollout and if all this stuff hadn’t come out he would probably still be experiencing the benefits of it.

In 2020-late ‘21 I think people were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The people who disliked Boris were the loudest at attacking him regarding the perceived failings at the start of the pandemic. But the key constituencies who supported him in 2019 were still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (“leave him alone, it’s been a hard job”, “this is an unprecedented situation”, “he’s done his best in a hard time” etc etc). The vaccine rollout gave him an undoubted boost too. His downfall has been solely to do with the Downing St gatherings. In an alternative dimension where they didn’t take place and he ran a tight ship, he would still probably be a good few points ahead.
  • Options

Lewis Goodall
    @lewis_goodall
    ·
    39s
    Jacob Rees Mogg just doubles down on Newsnight. Said of Ross: “Douglas Ross has always been a lightweight figure".
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Pass
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Lab 38 (+1)
    Con 28 (-5)
    LDem 13 (+3)
    Green 7 (+1)
    RefUK 4 (-1)

Lab 327 seats
    Con 220
    Lib 19
    SNP 59
    Green 1

Scotland. Without 50 or so Scottish seats, Labour need a huge win in England + Wales to get over the line. Not quite Blair '97, but heading that way. And Johnson hasn't plumbed Major's depths.

Yet.
This discussion has been closed.