Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A look at how you should price a bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Those like me who are interested in questions of "What does the Union mean and why bother with it?", will find this article and thread well worth the read.

https://mobile.twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1476138261814857728

Yes, he’s on the sane wing of the Unionist movement, an increasingly insignificant sect.

“If muscular unionism changes the basis of British government in the way it intends, where is the political home for those outside England who are comfortable with complex and multiple identities, and prefer a strong degree of national autonomy within a multinational state? (The remaining centre ground, such as it is, seems increasingly focused on developing an impractical and electorally unviable federal model for the UK: impractical because England is too big for such a model, and unviable because England will never vote for it.)”

I love it whenever folk (eg Gordon Brown) wibble on about federalism. Never disturb an enemy while they’re in the middle of making a mistake.
    So it is fine for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to have their own parliaments within the UK but not fine for England to have its own parliament? If we ever get a Labour led government without a majority in England that will be a major issue in England
    I am quite happy for you to have your English National Parliament. But wouldn't regional ones be less cumbersome?
    Why should England be broken up into regions? Ontario for example is also far bigger than most other Canadian provinces but still has its own parliament.

It seems the only time England is allowed to exist is on the sports field (excluding the Olympics)
    The population of Ontario is ~38% of the population of Canada. The population of England is ~84% of the population of the UK. The comparison actually makes opposite the point that you intend. Having a devolved Parliament for 5/6ths of the Federal state would be an absurdity. A complete waste of time. You'd be missing the opportunity to devolve power away from London.
    No it wouldn't, what difference does it make to Scotland or Wales whether England has its own parliament with equivalent powers to theirs whether England made up 1% of the UK, 84% or 99%?

London has its own Mayor and assembly too
  • Options
    Didn't get the memo:

THE TIMES: No need for more Covid curbs, say NHS chiefs

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1476686549966364676?s=20
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Has there even been any virus, any time in history, in any species, which has spread as fast over the whole world as omicron?

Probably not. It’s only in the last 50 years or so that we’ve had huge levels of air travel. The Black Death oozed it’s way through the isles.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I note that the next Stormont election is just around the corner, and SF have held a polling lead for two years now.

Are we about to see first pro-reunification FM?

Not if Boris and Truss trigger Article 16 a few weeks before polling day which I believe is a possibility.

That would then collapse the TUV vote back to the DUP
    Boris propping up the DUP dafties? I thought the UUP were meant to be the Tory favourites?
    The DUP are the only party that could beat SF for first. The UUP can beat the Alliance or SDLP for 3rd but it cannot win now
  • Options
    londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

BREAKING: U.S. reports more than 500,000 new coronavirus cases, with some states yet to report

Go big or go home....

"With a caseload nearly twice that of the worst single days of last winter, the United States shattered its record for new daily coronavirus cases, a milestone that may still fall short of describing the true toll of the Delta and Omicron variants because testing has slowed over the holidays."

NY Times
    Way to go. USA. Number One.
    relative to the population they have much fewer cases than us....and this in a more unvaccinated population
    Their positivity and death rates are much higher than ours though.

So why not share some other antivaxx memes.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

I note that the next Stormont election is just around the corner, and SF have held a polling lead for two years now.

Quite possibly SF both North and south of the bordering a couple of years. Surely that would mean a border poll?
  • Options

Didn't get the memo:

mmm i see more let it rip merchants....ok
  • Options
    Quebec orders 10 p.m. curfew, punishable by fines up to $6,000, as COVID cases reach record-high

We know all COVID loves an early night.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It is Conservative party policy to have English votes for English laws though.

Err, not any more:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57828406
    Which was stupid then and the likes of Redwood correctly opposed. As if Starmer becomes PM without an English majority he could still get his way on English domestic laws
  • Options

Didn't get the memo:

This memo?

Aris Katzourakis
    @ArisKatzourakis
    ·
    1h
    If there is one decision maker who doesn’t still believe the pressure on healthcare will be mild, it is whoever decided to convert car parks into nightingale hospitals.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Those like me who are interested in questions of "What does the Union mean and why bother with it?", will find this article and thread well worth the read.

Yes, he’s on the sane wing of the Unionist movement, an increasingly insignificant sect.

“If muscular unionism changes the basis of British government in the way it intends, where is the political home for those outside England who are comfortable with complex and multiple identities, and prefer a strong degree of national autonomy within a multinational state? (The remaining centre ground, such as it is, seems increasingly focused on developing an impractical and electorally unviable federal model for the UK: impractical because England is too big for such a model, and unviable because England will never vote for it.)”

I love it whenever folk (eg Gordon Brown) wibble on about federalism. Never disturb an enemy while they’re in the middle of making a mistake.
    So it is fine for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to have their own parliaments within the UK but not fine for England to have its own parliament? If we ever get a Labour led government without a majority in England that will be a major issue in England
    Because it is Conservative Party policy not to have an English parliament, apart of course from the one there already is at Westminster.

If and when we go back into opposition within a few years I expect party policy would shift towards an English parliament as the first and quickest route back to power before building a UK majority again
    So. It's all about the interests of the Tory Party then?
    The Tory party is the party that normally most represents and wins in England yes
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

I am quite happy for you to have your English National Parliament. But wouldn't regional ones be less cumbersome?
    Why should England be broken up into regions? Ontario for example is also far bigger than most other Canadian provinces but still has its own parliament.

It seems the only time England is allowed to exist is on the sports field (excluding the Olympics)
    In Canada, there is a parliament for Ontario as well as an overall parliament at Ottawa.

We could have an English National Parliament in the House of Lords Chamber and a UK parliament in the House of Commons.

:smiley:
    The Ontario Parliament is in the Capital.
    Toronto.
    The Capital of Ontario, yes.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

BREAKING: U.S. reports more than 500,000 new coronavirus cases, with some states yet to report

Go big or go home....

"With a caseload nearly twice that of the worst single days of last winter, the United States shattered its record for new daily coronavirus cases, a milestone that may still fall short of describing the true toll of the Delta and Omicron variants because testing has slowed over the holidays."

NY Times
    Of those cases death rate still under 1% as most Americans still vaccinated
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Quite possibly SF both North and south of the bordering a couple of years. Surely that would mean a border poll?
    Yepp.

SF have led in every poll in NI for two years, and in last 15 Irish polls in a row.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    rcs1000 said:

Completely O/T Anyone tried any of these board games?

https://twitter.com/JamesHuntrods/status/1476524450455724035?s=20

Concordia
    Innovations
    Lonely Bears
    Trekking the World
    Barenpark
    Wingspan

My friends are all obsessed with The Bloody Inn.
    The Bloody Pub has been my downfall.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Because it is Conservative Party policy not to have an English parliament, apart of course from the one there already is at Westminster.

If and when we go back into opposition within a few years I expect party policy would shift towards an English parliament as the first and quickest route back to power before building a UK majority again
    The Tory party is the party that normally most represents and wins in England yes
    And is supposedly the Party of the Union too.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

This made me smile "Michael Gove ,Minister for levelling up, questioned over why £330,000 of taxpayer's money spent to fill former Conservative peer's driveway potholes"

https://news.sky.com/story/michael-gove-questioned-over-why-163330000-of-taxpayers-money-spent-to-fill-former-conservative-peers-driveway-potholes-12505847

Because there is an excellent museum at the end of the shared drive and the potholes were limiting public access
    Doesn't change the fact that he owned the drive, and the museum doesn't.
    I think it just shows that the civil servants were a bit over-literal in interpreting the 'levelling' bit of 'levelling up', so that this was the first application they'd had which seemed to meet the criteria.

Edit: I see that @Benpointer got there first!
    Just to say, it's not 'civil servants' who approved this funding but the South East Local Enterprise Partnership, the funding approvals board of which (the Accountability Board) comprises 6 local councillors (5 Conservative, 1 independent), a private sector Chair, a Further Education representative and a Higher Education representative.

So not civil servants but in the majority elected councillors; indeed elected Conservative councillors have a majority on the approval board.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yepp.

SF have led in every poll in NI for two years, and in last 15 Irish polls in a row.
    Yebbut that doesn't mean much in the Irish PR system, given that they are not very transfer-friendly and are regarded, unsurprisingly, as toxic by most of the other parties,
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Not if FF and FG in the South and the combined Unionist parties in the North still have more seats than SF.

In any case the latest poll shows that while voters in the Republic are in theory in favour of a united Ireland they are not if it means they have to pay higher taxes to subsidise the North

https://www.newstalk.com/news/public-want-irish-unity-but-dont-want-to-pay-for-it-poll-suggests-1282985
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

In Canada, there is a parliament for Ontario as well as an overall parliament at Ottawa.

We could have an English National Parliament in the House of Lords Chamber and a UK parliament in the House of Commons.

Toronto.
    Should Winchester or York be the English capital
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

And is supposedly the Party of the Union too.
    Only in theory.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    pigeon said:

FF43 said:

It is remarkable, given both that the problems identified with the Union are legion and that hardly anyone in Scotland seems to have anything good to say about the British Government, that no stable majority can be found in Scottish public opinion for dissolution. Somewhere in the ballpark of half the population doesn't want to go - and not even the deaths of large numbers of elderly Unionists since 2014, and the addition to the electoral roll of large numbers of independence-leaning youth in their place, have swung the argument decisively.

Why is that?
    It's a fair point but I would turn it round and ask why no-one can articulate what the Union is for and why we should have it - especially no-one in England seems able to articulate that. Scots are divided but they do have ideas on what they want. English and Scottish reasons for having a union don't necessarily need to align, but the arrangement has to work for both parties or it's over.

I can see a range of possible English views on their union with Scotland (apologies to Wales and Northern Ireland for their exclusion):

1. We're English and have zero interest in Scotland.
    2. We're going to do what we want. Scotland will do what it's told.
    3. We're going to do what we want. Scotland is welcome to come along or leave.
    4. We will mostly do what we want. Within that constraint Scotland can mostly do what it wants in certain areas. There may be a discussion about Scottish decisions that impact England.

No-one in England is giving this much thought. Historically I would say the Union has operating on 4, now moving to a 2 under the Johnson government.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Has there even been any virus, any time in history, in any species, which has spread as fast over the whole world as omicron?

Facebook ?
    Gangnam Style
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yepp.

I really do think. For all the obsessing about Scotland, that this is the immediate issue coming down the road.
  • Options

Quebec orders 10 p.m. curfew, punishable by fines up to $6,000, as COVID cases reach record-high

More ludicrous restrictions.

• Options
    TimT said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Toronto.
    Winchester.
  • Options
    TimT said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Toronto.
    York.
  • Options

More ludicrous restrictions.

Well especially with Omicron. It is literally man walks into a bar, 200 catch it.

With Omicron there isn't really a middle way.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times
    The more the merrier. 👍

Rip off the bandage, have the virus burn through a vaccinated population and if anyone's unvaccinated then they can claim their Darwin Award on the way out.

My case seems to be nothing more than a common cold and I'm glad I've got it now while triple vaccinated rather than when immunity has waned or pre-vaccines.
    I am beginning to wonder whether it is better to actively catch it now while its mild omicron and I'm boosted rather than hide away.
  • Options
    Winchester 1; York 1
  • Options

TimT said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Toronto.
    Winchester.
    Traditional heart of Wessex, not sure it was ever capital of England?
  • Options

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times
    relative to the population they have much fewer cases than us....and this in a more unvaccinated population

deaths in us are similar to uk relative to population again in a more unvaccinated population
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

TimT said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Toronto.
    Winchester.
    Winchester.

Not the place - I mean Ed Winchester from The Fast Show. He should be the English capital.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    TimT said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Toronto.
    Hartlepool might be a better site. A little bit of levelling up for our would be masters.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times
    The more the merrier. 👍

Rip off the bandage, have the virus burn through a vaccinated population and if anyone's unvaccinated then they can claim their Darwin Award on the way out.

My case seems to be nothing more than a common cold and I'm glad I've got it now while triple vaccinated rather than when immunity has waned or pre-vaccines.
    I am beginning to wonder whether it is better to actively catch it now while its mild omicron and I'm boosted rather than hide away.
    Game Theory Optimal approach. You want it while your booster is still fresh.....but the hospitals aren't over stretched in case you do need a trip there. But also have to factor in the new anti-virals that aren't available yet....

We should ask SPI-M to model it ;-)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

deaths in us are similar to uk relative to population again in a more unvaccinated population
    No, they aren’t. UK deaths are just over a hundred a day. US 1,500.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times
    The more the merrier. 👍

Tbh your immune system will probably be fine now, or in 6 months. The waning so beloved of @CorrectHorseBattery is more the nABs. Yes it might stop you even getting symptoms, but the evidence is stacking up that vaccination is holding up well against severe disease and death.
  • Options

TimT said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Toronto.
    Winchester.
    Traditional heart of Wessex, not sure it was ever capital of England?
    Until William, I believe it was.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    After NI has voted to join the south maybe Scotland could unite with Ireland to form a Federal Celtic Republic, thus side-stepping the difficulty of how to rejoin the EU?
  • Options
    londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

The vast majority of U.K. deaths occurred before the widespread vaccination programme.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

pigeon said:

FF43 said:

It is remarkable, given both that the problems identified with the Union are legion and that hardly anyone in Scotland seems to have anything good to say about the British Government, that no stable majority can be found in Scottish public opinion for dissolution. Somewhere in the ballpark of half the population doesn't want to go - and not even the deaths of large numbers of elderly Unionists since 2014, and the addition to the electoral roll of large numbers of independence-leaning youth in their place, have swung the argument decisively.

Why is that?
    It's a fair point but I would turn it round and ask why no-one can articulate what the Union is for and why we should have it - especially no-one in England seems able to articulate that. Scots are divided but they do have ideas on what they want. English and Scottish reasons for having a union don't necessarily need to align, but the arrangement has to work for both parties or it's over.

I can see a range of possible English views on their union with Scotland (apologies to Wales and Northern Ireland for their exclusion):

4. We will mostly do what we want. Within that constraint Scotland can mostly do what it wants in certain areas. There may be a discussion about Scottish decisions that impact England.

No-one in England is giving this much thought. Historically I would say the Union has operating on 4, now moving to a 2 under the Johnson government.
    4 dominated until recently, ie the English had (an often grudging) respect for the Scots. That’s now history.

Current environment is 2, with significant minority at 1. The more folk in 1,2&3 the happier I become.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610

1918 flu?
  • Options

After NI has voted to join the south maybe Scotland could form a union with Ireland to form a Federal Celtic Republic, thus side-stepping the difficulty of how to rejon the EU?

Why would Scotland vote to leave one union only to immediately join another?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    The only rational place to make the English Parliament is on the driveway of Firle Estate.
  • Options
    londoneye said:

Didn't get the memo:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    4h
    The usual people are out there saying all will be fine soon - we just have to let people get infected and it will be done. Just as they did at previous waves.
  • Options
    RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

im talking deaths in total
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

1918 flu?
    I doubt it was this fast. Crossing the Atlantic - 7 days? Omicron has gone from nothing to domination in a few weeks.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Jonathan said:

Facebook ?
    There are currently 286m confirmed Covid cases worldwide, in a little over two years. Facebook removed its eligibility criteria for opening an account in September 2006 and got past 286m accounts sometime in early 2009, so close, but probably no cigar.
  • Options
    londoneye said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

im talking deaths in total
    So the vaccination status is completely irrelevant.
  • Options

londoneye said:

Didn't get the memo:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    4h
    The usual people are out there saying all will be fine soon - we just have to let people get infected and it will be done. Just as they did at previous waves.
    Except it’s NOT the usual people - I don’t recall nhs leaders saying it will be fine in March 2020, or December 2020?
  • Options
    RobD said:

After NI has voted to join the south maybe Scotland could form a union with Ireland to form a Federal Celtic Republic, thus side-stepping the difficulty of how to rejon the EU?

For the same reason that England is outside the European Union and still plays Rugby Union.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233

Concordia
    Innovations
    Lonely Bears
    Trekking the World
    Barenpark
    Wingspan

We have Wingspan. I like it a lot. The art is wonderful, there are lots of different ways you can play. The way that different birds have attributes which reflect reality is fun. The weaknesses are that, there isn't necessarily much interaction between the players - to a certain extent your are playing separate games in parallel, with only a limited ability to affect what other people are doing, much less than in games like Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride. On the other hand this could be seen as an advantage, as it can prevent bad feeling if some players might feel they are being picked on. Also the final turns of the game can be a bit anticlimatic, as your options become quite narrow when you have only a couple of turns left.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Andy_JS said:

1918 flu?
    I've no idea, but...what about very recent moderns colds or flus no-one bothered to test the population for?

Omicron's speed is stunning, true, but it is close to unique in the global mass testing, surely.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    dixiedean said:

TimT said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Toronto.
    York.
    My vote goes for Carlisle
  • Options
    edited December 2021

After NI has voted to join the south maybe Scotland could unite with Ireland to form a Federal Celtic Republic, thus side-stepping the difficulty of how to rejoin the EU?

People in the Republic do not want to have to subsidise the North, let alone Scotland too.

Wales voted for Brexit anyway
  • Options
    York is more accessible, and central, both geographically and population wise than Winchester. And further from London's orbit too.
    We are already ludicrously Southern oriented.
    Put loads of civil servants and politicians in an already wealthy area.
    Plus. It fills in the gap.
    My Mother gets outraged when the weather is given for London, Cardiff, Belfast and Edinburgh. "I don't live near any of them!" she complains.
    She's right too.
    Winchester would be yet another slap in the face of the North.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Concordia
    Innovations
    Lonely Bears
    Trekking the World
    Barenpark
    Wingspan

My friends are all obsessed with The Bloody Inn.
    Ooh that looks interesting thank you. Just ordered it for my wife's birthday, hope she likes it.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

TimT said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Toronto.
    York.
    Shades of Eurovision... The county of Wiltshire awards 12 points to... Carlisle.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

York is more accessible, and central, both geographically and population wise than Winchester. And further from London's orbit too.
    We are already ludicrously Southern oriented.
    Put loads of civil servants and politicians in an already wealthy area.
    Plus. It fills in the gap.
    My Mother gets outraged when the weather is given for London, Cardiff, Belfast and Edinburgh. "I don't live near any of them!" she complains.
    She's right too.
    Winchester would be yet another slap in the face of the North.

I'm a born and bred southerner but York gets my vote for the reasons @dixiedean outlines.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    When is Turkey economy going to go pop? And what will the fall out be?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fun fact. In scotland 0-14 year old cases are actually falling. There is no Omicron wave for that age group. Fall started on the 19th of Dec

It is really fucking obvious people stopped testing their children when term ended.

So when schools go back i reserve the right to revise any "cases have peaked" calls I may have made between then and now.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Didn't get the memo:

They know what proportion of these hospital numbers are for/with COVID. The ventilated patients number is very telling.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times
    The more the merrier. 👍

It’s difficult mentally to take that step, but I know what you mean. The fear isn’t there in the same way anymore.

We’ve taken the deliberate decision to go out and spend money in restaurants and pubs this week because hospitality is on its knees. At our local Turkish this evening the owner told us he had 500 covers cancelled in the 2 weeks up to Christmas out of 600 bookings. All the Christmas parties and most family bookings. The place was half empty this evening. It used to be heaving even on weekdays.

When an industry is laid low by consumer fear - as the tourist and airline industries after terrorist attacks, or the beef industry after BSE - it can take a long time to come back. I think this January, as the rent invoices come in, is going to be hard for many.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Eabhal said:

pigeon said:

FF43 said:

Why is that?
    Brexit. I know a few younger people who have clocked that they are similar, in some respect.
    You might be right. Brexit is, possibly, the best explanation. Indeed, given how tortuous the process has been and how many negative headlines it has generated for many years, it might even be regarded as surprising that support for independence has held up as well as it has.

After all, much of the sound and fury over Brexit has been about how the Leave voters were sold a pup. People can and will argue until the cows come home about the extent to which this is true, but the fact remains: the Scottish electorate has seen and experienced all the difficulties associated with leaving one Union, and a crucial fraction of public opinion at least is unlikely to be taken in by trite tales of how easy it will be to engineer separation from another.

And then, of course, whereas EU membership was effectively about leaving a souped-up free trade area, the Scottish Government has got to convince the population to dispense with a full political union and deal with a whole heap of other existential issues that weren't on the table with Brexit, notably the currency union and the fiscal transfers. Some people won't care about having proper answers about how all of these kinds of issues are going to be handled before taking the plunge, but the swing voters that are going to decide any rematch of the independence referendum will.

It seems to me, as a casual observer, that the argument for secession remains winnable, but it requires some hard work that doesn't appear to have been done yet. The 2014 blueprint wasn't enough to persuade the people and, insofar as I understand it, nothing potentially more palatable has been put in its place.

You could say that, with Brexit, the country has experienced a trade-off between escape from the oversight of an unpopular central authority on the one hand, and manifold inconveniences and expenses that have left many people worse off (and therefore dissatisfied with the revolution) on the other. The sovereignty aspect was played up, and the inconvenience and expense played down, very successfully by the UK Leave campaign. With that example lodged in the voters' minds, the Scottish Leave campaign won't find pulling off the same trick so easy. That's problematic for them.
  • Options

londoneye said:

Didn't get the memo:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    4h
    Except it’s NOT the usual people - I don’t recall nhs leaders saying it will be fine in March 2020, or December 2020?
    maybe the nhs leaders are being unduly reckless this time....who knows
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times
    The more the merrier. 👍

Tbh your immune system will probably be fine now, or in 6 months. The waning so beloved of @CorrectHorseBattery is more the nABs. Yes it might stop you even getting symptoms, but the evidence is stacking up that vaccination is holding up well against severe disease and death.
    Me and eldest been several times sicker (at 6 months from jab) than Missus and youngest ( nearer 6 weeks) mind. So there is that.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Jonathan said:

Facebook ?
    There are currently 286m confirmed Covid cases worldwide, in a little over two years. Facebook removed its eligibility criteria for opening an account in September 2006 and got past 286m accounts sometime in early 2009, so close, but probably no cigar.
    Gangnam Style - hit the first 1 billion views in 6 months, between July and December 2012
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

Well they have 5* our pop.
  • Options
    londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

At the turn of the year when the vaccine rollout was beginning the USA had [a slightly] lower excess death rate than the UK.

Since the vaccine rollout the UK's excess deaths have all-but-stopped, but the USA's excess death rate is now 50% higher than the UK's.

So I'm going to certify your claim as Grade A Bullshit.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

TimT said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Toronto.
    York.
    It does have a cocktail bar. And an impressive railway shed I'll grant you.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

pigeon said:

FF43 said:

Why is that?
    On the flipside, the 2014 referendum is some time ago now and the polling is even more of a coin toss now than the result of the day.

Support is certainly edging up quite slowly, though that these days seems to be despite the SNP rather than because of the SNP, given they don't actually do a great deal of work to campaign for indy but merely present themselves as the vehicle for those who want it.
    Two reasons. The SNP have not actively campaigned for independence since Nicola Sturgeon replaced Alex Salmond. Too many young Scots are emigrating and being replaced by retired English people.
  • Options
    Surely no chance of a cabinet meeting next week signing off on new restrictions now after that Times front page splash?

It was already unlikely despite Warwick's new model.

• Options
    FF43 said:

pigeon said:

FF43 said:

Why is that?

I'm 3) in theory, and closer to 4) in practice. However, the problem you've missed is what happens if Scotland decides to leave the Union - my attitude there is very much 2). In particular, the ridiculous ideas about sharing the Bank of England, and the UK Treasury paying pensions on an ongoing basis, are non-starters.

As a committer EU Remainer, I'm sure you can appreciate why this is an issue.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

Yep, but 15x the deaths.
  • Options

I hear Brussels will be affected.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Off topic...

Pointless whimsical activity. Spent the day reviving old G4 PPC iBook. Installed new operating system (Sorbet Leopard). Surprisingly hard, but now works like a dream. And now posting here on PB, much as I did back in the day in 2005.

A total complete waste of time. How delightful.
  • Options

Loads would want to break away to the Federal Rangers Monarchy?
  • Options

Surely no chance of a cabinet meeting next week signing off on new restrictions now after that Times front page splash?

It was already unlikely despite Warwick's new model.

No Conservative PM will survive imposing any new restrictions, certainly on the vaccinated, without a VONC from Tory MPs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

People in the Republic do not want to have to subsidise the North, let alone Scotland too.

Why do you assume there would be any cross-subsidisation in my proposed Celtic Union?

Who mentioned Wales?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

Yep, but 15x the deaths.
    no only recently is death rate higher overall they have similar death rate to us in a much more unvaccinated population
  • Options
    lloydylloydy Posts: 36

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times
    The more the merrier. 👍

Just had it. It was like a mild cold. I had my booster late November, so it's a second booster. Totally knackered my social life this week though.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    FF43 said:

I feel somewhat that if we're already at the point when we're defining it as two parties, England and Scotland, rather than as one large country full of people who are all British, the union is already badly, perhaps fatally weakened.

(My personal view is that I don't want to keep anybody in the country against their will, whether that's the Scots or the people on the Isle of Wight. I suspect leaving would be economically disadvantageous to the Scots but would not blame them at all if they decided they'd had quite enough of London pissing them around and they'd rather take their chances on their own. I might have a more nuanced view when I finish reading _Imagined Communities_, which was one of my Christmas presents.)
  • Options
    londoneye said:

londoneye said:

Didn't get the memo:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    4h
    Unlikely. There is nothing in it for nhs trust leaders to be gung ho. As @MaxPB says, they have the data on why patients are admitted and how ill they are(n’t).
  • Options
    TimT said:

Winchester 1; York 1

One vote from a Scot in Sweden mind.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    RobD said:

The SNP proposal is for Scotland to join the EU is it not?

My proposed Celtic Union would be one of equals, unlike the current UK.
  • Options

No idea about when, but it'll be sage and onion stuffing.
  • Options

pigeon said:

FF43 said:

Why is that?
    On the flipside, the 2014 referendum is some time ago now and the polling is even more of a coin toss now than the result of the day.

Support is certainly edging up quite slowly, though that these days seems to be despite the SNP rather than because of the SNP, given they don't actually do a great deal of work to campaign for indy but merely present themselves as the vehicle for those who want it.
    Two reasons. The SNP have not actively campaigned for independence since Nicola Sturgeon replaced Alex Salmond. Too many young Scots are emigrating and being replaced by retired English people.
    Indeed, the real Nationalist party is now Salmond's Alba.

Sturgeon is happy just being a social democrat FM of Scotland who controls most Scottish domestic policy within the UK
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times
    The more the merrier. 👍

Me and eldest been several times sicker (at 6 months from jab) than Missus and youngest ( nearer 6 weeks) mind. So there is that.
    True, but not necessarily because of time. It could be just chance. Although I think you are probably right.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    londoneye said:

londoneye said:

Didn't get the memo:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    4h
    Said no one ever. The idea that NHS people will be any kind of reckless is laughable.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Why do you assume there would be any cross-subsidisation in my proposed Celtic Union?

Who mentioned Wales?
    In every nation or Union the richer parts always part subsidise the poorer parts
  • Options
    londoneye said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

Yep, but 15x the deaths.
    no only recently is death rate higher overall they have similar death rate to us in a much more unvaccinated population
    You just said that you are taking about total deaths, over the entire pandemic. So what has that got to do with vaccination status?

Maybe your desperate to prove a point about vaccines not working or something?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TimT said:

Winchester 1; York 1

One vote from a Scot in Sweden mind.
    Stockholmburgh?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited December 2021
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Yepp.

I really do think. For all the obsessing about Scotland, that this is the immediate issue coming down the road.
    A Sinn Féin First Minister will be a psychological blow to Unionism in NI but it doesn't matter much in the dysfunctional political arrangement of that place
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603

londoneye said:

Didn't get the memo:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    4h
    Except that’s not what “the usual people” (by which I assume she means the like of Francois Balloux or Andrew Lillico) are saying. By and large the message is that this is endemic now, it will never go away, and those in favour of restrictions aren’t articulating what their end game is.

She and the other public health authoritarians need to be honest about what their long term alternative is. If it’s to wait for more anti viral treatments then find, say so. If it’s that we should live with permanent restrictions then fine (we’ll, not fine), say so. Some are now saying exactly this.

In reality the “usual people” is increasingly the British public at large, and not just the young.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Jonathan said:

Facebook ?
    That's elite level of nerdness
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Who mentioned Wales?
    In every nation or Union the richer parts always part subsidise the poorer parts
    Hahahaha who wants to tell him?
  • Options
    RobD said:

londoneye said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

Yep, but 15x the deaths.
    You just said that you are taking about total deaths, over the entire pandemic. So what has that got to do with vaccination status?

mmm i just look at data...maybe you are the one getting a teeny bit obsessed with this
  • Options
    londoneye said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

Yep, but 15x the deaths.

mmm i just look at data...maybe you are the one getting a teeny bit obsessed with this
    You just look at data and make comments that don’t make sense. What have deaths before the introduction of the vaccines got to do with the vaccines?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    londoneye said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

Yep, but 15x the deaths.
    US share of population vaccinated = 73.1%; UK share of population vaccinated = 75.8%. So not much difference there.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

UK doing much better recently on boosters but lo and behold that coincides with the UK doing much better recently on deaths. What a coincidence, eh?
  • Options

londoneye said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

londoneye said:

londoneye said:

dixiedean said:

Go big or go home....

NY Times

Yep, but 15x the deaths.
    US share of population vaccinated = 73.1%; UK share of population vaccinated = 75.8%. So not much difference there.

UK doing much better recently on boosters but lo and behold that coincides with the UK doing much better recently on deaths. What a coincidence, eh?
    Ah, so even that stat was bollocks?
This discussion has been closed.