Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A look at how you should price a bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

"Twixtmas" is certainly better than the "Chrimbo Limbo" I saw it referred to as in a BBC website article the other day.

We used to call it the "inbetweenies" when I was younger.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Someone on the previous thread said Carlisle had its attractions.
    Citation needed.

Carlisle has one nice cocktail bar
    A great railway Station and nice Castle
    Shame they decided to build a four lane dual carriageway between the town and the castle.
    and it - at least in 2016 - not open on a Sunday.

I got stranded in Carlisle one late Summer Sunday that year, the hostel didn't open until 1800, the pubs - bar some cavernous outfits on the outskirts - were all shut and in any case the football that day was West Brom vs Middlesboro ...

Absolute state of it.

At least you weren't in Barrow.
    I was in Barrow later that week. It's really not that bad.
    It's not even a good place to change trains.
    Well, quite, it's a through line, unless you're going to Sellafield.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

darkage said:

(reposted from previous thread)
    Sorry for going off topic but I wondered if people still use BT for their broadband. I have stuck with them, on the assumption that they would be no better than anyone else. But I have found them to be hard work. I had a problem with my router which means that it cuts out continually, I kept being told that I was imagining it or it was my computer that was at fault, I proved otherwise to them and they eventually sent an engineer around and it seemed to be fixed, only now the problems are starting up again, and I am stuck with another 9 months on my contract. The current situation is really bad because the WIFI is now so unreliable that I can't use it for work, mobile broadband is more reliable. I fear that I will need to go in to some kind of energy sapping consumer rights battle with BT. Am I just unfortunate or do other people experience/hear of these problems with BT?

The only problem we have with BT is that an incoming call on the landline seems to knock out broadband for 1-2 minutes. Can't be bothered to work out why as we've trained everyone we know to call our cell phones, thereby conceding the landline to spammers who can safely be ignored.
    They have just moved my landline to digital
    What's a landline?
    It's the way most people's broadband works.
    Nah, that's line rental.

I'm 30 in less than 2 months and have never had a landline phone!
    We've got a landline but hardly use it. But since we'd still have to pay the line rental would there be any advantage in dropping it? None that I can see.
    One less thing to dust

We've got one of these for nostalgia value. It's a bit of a curiosity for anyone under 30 - they all want to give it a try.

Still works fine - even in a power cut.
    Can still remember how impressed me and my sisters were when our grandmother got a "Princess" phone, think it was pink.
    I remember Trimphones, they cost more for some reason. You had to rent the handset off BT (or the GPO or whatever they were called at the time).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548

tlg86 said:

Lock him up...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/30/dominic-raab-photographed-at-chelsea-game-without-a-mask

Dominic Raab photographed at Chelsea game without a mask
    Image shows justice secretary apparently ignoring club guidance to wear face covering while seated in stadium

That's carefully cropped image, i have a feeling wide shot might show very few wearing one.
    No social distancing. All wearing masks. :smile:

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,199

"Twixtmas" is certainly better than the "Chrimbo Limbo" I saw it referred to as in a BBC website article the other day.

Though the latter is a better description.
    I rather like this time of year. Have always been off between Christmas and new year. After Jan 1st there is no excuse not to be at work, but the week between is perfect for dog walking, over eating etc. I seem to recall in previous times Christmas was much more stretched out than now. Perhaps we should revert?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    kamski said:

MattW said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

Covid hospital-admission stats are looking pretty grim, in fact appreciably worse (or at least showing up slightly earlier) than the much-derided LSHTM model of mid-December.

https://twitter.com/COVID19actuary/status/1476603552193724417/photo/3

Still, this isn't really a surprise. We knew that Omicron spreads super-fast, and the government took a deliberate decision not to impose tougher restrictions. I still think that was probably the right call, not least because by the time they got round to making a decision it was already too late for restrictions to have much effect.

Fortunately the triple-boosting looks as though it is working extremely well in avoiding too many of the most serious cases, and of course deaths, but the hit on the NHS is (as I expected) going to be dire over the next couple of weeks, and a lot of people are going to have a nasty bout of illness (albeit mainly the voluntarily unvaxxed).

What is clear is that the naïve takes on both extremes, ignoring the very real uncertainties and selectively picking snippets of data that supported their preconceptions, were equally irrational.

In which country are the restrictions having an effect? France? Germany?
    It's pretty hard to argue that restrictions didn't have an effect in Germany:

As an aside, are you going to withdraw your lie about Gibraltar?
    That German curve is delta not omicron.

They are still below 40% of new cases being omicron, so we don't really know the impact of German measures on omicron.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/30/germany-may-follow-england-in-cutting-isolation-time-as-omicron-spreads
    1. Just because "Omicron accounted for about 17,000 out of Germany’s almost 43,000 new confirmed cases on Thursday" doesn't mean that Omicron is still below 40% of cases. If Omicron is much milder, and given the much reduced routine testing because of the holiday, there's probably a higher percentage of Omicron cases being missed than Delta.

2. You can still try and see how fast Omicron is increasing in Germany in the last weeks.
    This
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Omikron-Faelle/Omikron-Faelle.html?__blob=publicationFile
    seems to suggest that Omicron cases increased from 0.3 cases per 100,000 in calendar week 48, to 10.2 cases in calendar week 51. I'll leave it to someone else to compare that with the rate of increase at a similar stage of Omicron in a country without any restrictions, but I'm guessing it's going to be slower - and remember Germany has a higher percentage of people without immunity from previous infections.
    The other problem with that Guardian article is that it says schools in Germany are due to go back on the 3rd of January. For most of Germany schools don't restart until the 10th.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Finally caved and got Netflix and just now watched epi 1 of The Crown. Have a horrible feeling that's me for 50 hours. Help.

The Crown, The Dig and Queens Gambit are the only things we have enjoyed on Netflix. I assume there must be other things we should take a look at bit if we weren't getting Netflix courtesy of a family freebie I doubt if we'd pay for it.
    Gosh. I disagree. I love Netflix. Knocks the spots off Amazon Prime.

A few random suggestions off the cuff:

Series:

Fargo S1, S2 and S3 (don't bother with S4)
    Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    Better Call Saul - fantastic. Final series in 2022.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

Finally caved and got Netflix and just now watched epi 1 of The Crown. Have a horrible feeling that's me for 50 hours. Help.

That bit in the first episode when Churchill arrives at Westminster Abbey and I Vow To Thee My Country is being sung, utterly brilliant.
    The whole Hyde Park Corner sequence is superb. Good timing with the London Bridge article in the Guardian.

Aberfan was great, too.
    Er?? Could be worded better tbh.
    Aberfan was an utter disaster with 116 children losing their lives just 8 days before our eldest was born in Oct 1966

We will never forget
    Why would anyone off topic my comment, Aberfan was a very upsetting moment in our lives
    Keep in mind, most off-topics are really likes, posted by the near-sighed and/or thick-fingered.
  • Options
    MattW said:

tlg86 said:

Lock him up...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/30/dominic-raab-photographed-at-chelsea-game-without-a-mask

Image shows justice secretary apparently ignoring club guidance to wear face covering while seated in stadium

That's carefully cropped image, i have a feeling wide shot might show very few wearing one.
    No social distancing. All wearing masks. :smile:

That looks like the Etihad pre-Covid.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

I rather like this time of year. Have always been off between Christmas and new year. After Jan 1st there is no excuse not to be at work, but the week between is perfect for dog walking, over eating etc. I seem to recall in previous times Christmas was much more stretched out than now. Perhaps we should revert?
    Tbf, I used to like it before I was retired - it was a good time to recharge the batteries.

Now it's just a bit pants compared to being retired through the rest of the year.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Data delayed again.

omg, it must mean the case number is nearly 500,000 !!

Don't panic, PREDICTION
    "it must mean the case number is nearly 500,000 !!"

So, a quarter of the latest modelling then? :wink:
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

MattW said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

Covid hospital-admission stats are looking pretty grim, in fact appreciably worse (or at least showing up slightly earlier) than the much-derided LSHTM model of mid-December.

Still, this isn't really a surprise. We knew that Omicron spreads super-fast, and the government took a deliberate decision not to impose tougher restrictions. I still think that was probably the right call, not least because by the time they got round to making a decision it was already too late for restrictions to have much effect.

Fortunately the triple-boosting looks as though it is working extremely well in avoiding too many of the most serious cases, and of course deaths, but the hit on the NHS is (as I expected) going to be dire over the next couple of weeks, and a lot of people are going to have a nasty bout of illness (albeit mainly the voluntarily unvaxxed).

What is clear is that the naïve takes on both extremes, ignoring the very real uncertainties and selectively picking snippets of data that supported their preconceptions, were equally irrational.

They are still below 40% of new cases being omicron, so we don't really know the impact of German measures on omicron.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/30/germany-may-follow-england-in-cutting-isolation-time-as-omicron-spreads
    1. Just because "Omicron accounted for about 17,000 out of Germany’s almost 43,000 new confirmed cases on Thursday" doesn't mean that Omicron is still below 40% of cases. If Omicron is much milder, and given the much reduced routine testing because of the holiday, there's probably a higher percentage of Omicron cases being missed than Delta.

2. You can still try and see how fast Omicron is increasing in Germany in the last weeks.
    This
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Omikron-Faelle/Omikron-Faelle.html?__blob=publicationFile
    seems to suggest that Omicron cases increased from 0.3 cases per 100,000 in calendar week 48, to 10.2 cases in calendar week 51. I'll leave it to someone else to compare that with the rate of increase at a similar stage of Omicron in a country without any restrictions, but I'm guessing it's going to be slower - and remember Germany has a higher percentage of people without immunity from previous infections.
    The other problem with that Guardian article is that it says schools in Germany are due to go back on the 3rd of January. For most of Germany schools don't restart until the 10th.
    It’s not known as the Grauniad for nothing...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,297
    edited December 2021

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

That bit in the first episode when Churchill arrives at Westminster Abbey and I Vow To Thee My Country is being sung, utterly brilliant.
    The whole Hyde Park Corner sequence is superb. Good timing with the London Bridge article in the Guardian.

Aberfan was great, too.
    Aberfan was an utter disaster with 116 children losing their lives just 8 days before our eldest was born in Oct 1966

We will never forget
    Why would anyone off topic my comment, Aberfan was a very upsetting moment in our lives
    Suspect they hit the wrong button - easy to miss 'like' and hit 'off topic'. Don't take it to heart Big_G, no one thinks of Aberfan without feeling very sad.
    I hope so

The birth of our son a few days later with all those grieving parents had an emotional effect on us and most new parents at the time
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

"Sorry for going off topic but I wondered if people still use BT for their broadband."

@darkage

Yes, I'm with BT. Been absolutely fine for years.*

* so sod's law dictates it will crash tomorrow.

Same here. The availability of public wifi points is an important bonus, but anyway it's fine, and includes my mobile contract for a fiver extra.
    Engineers have been to my house from BT maybe twice in ten or twelve years. Once to upgrade the line somehow or other (it is still good ole copper) and once when the wind damaged the line.

Both times, the engineers have been excellent.

My house flooded and an engineered popped round and redid my entire internal internet wiring. He wasn’t supposed to but I guess he felt helpful
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The first couple of series - where the writer presumably had to rely on research, rather than prejudice - were good - by the time he got to Thatcher his biases were obvious.

The bit where Queen Mary curtseys to the new queen then looks her straight in the eye is chilling.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited December 2021

Eabhal said:

Data delayed till 8pm.

The tension...

Now 8.30....

If they're not careful they'll be having to include tomorrow's numbers!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Someone on the previous thread said Carlisle had its attractions.
    Citation needed.

Carlisle has one nice cocktail bar
    A great railway Station and nice Castle
    Shame they decided to build a four lane dual carriageway between the town and the castle.
    and it - at least in 2016 - not open on a Sunday.

I got stranded in Carlisle one late Summer Sunday that year, the hostel didn't open until 1800, the pubs - bar some cavernous outfits on the outskirts - were all shut and in any case the football that day was West Brom vs Middlesboro ...

Absolute state of it.

At least you weren't in Barrow.
    I was in Barrow later that week. It's really not that bad.
    It's not even a good place to change trains.
    Well, quite, it's a through line, unless you're going to Sellafield.
    I think the route was Ulverston to Foxfield
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

The Crown, The Dig and Queens Gambit are the only things we have enjoyed on Netflix. I assume there must be other things we should take a look at bit if we weren't getting Netflix courtesy of a family freebie I doubt if we'd pay for it.

Series:

Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    I’ll add:

1.squid games
    2. The Witcher
    3. The last kingdom

To that, with the last kingdom being my personal favourite
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Lock him up...

That very picture shows four people to his left not wearing them,
    ?? The guidance at the football last night (Cov City match) was to wear in the concourses/buying drinks & the loo, but whilst seated you were free to take them off.
    Is the Prem different, did Cov City have it wrong - the team certainly did with their tactics but that was another story.
  • Options

Talking of fast broadband and fibre and so on. A good old friend of my wife's has a property in rural France. Way off the beaten track. The little house is at the end of an unpaved lane that's at least 1/2 mile from a tiny road that leads to the nearest one bar village. Definite france profonde.

He's had super fast fibre broadband for at least a decade, probably more.

Presumably there is an important politician living one door down
  • Options

Tbf, I used to like it before I was retired - it was a good time to recharge the batteries.

Now it's just a bit pants compared to being retired through the rest of the year.
    Ha. I (hopefully) have that disappointment to look forward to...
  • Options

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Series:

Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    I’ll add:

1.squid games
    2. The Witcher
    3. The last kingdom

Last Kingdom is great.
  • Options
    pagel is not happy seems to think the situation is pretty dire

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1476616293822390280?s=20
  • Options
    I hope everybody is supporting Burnley tonight
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    Latest Guido tweet contributes to my growing frustration at the complete ineptitude of journos.

This is simple stuff, and we are nearly two years into this pandemic. The FT (usually good with data) graph was a disgrace.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

kamski said:

kamski said:

MattW said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

This
    It’s not known as the Grauniad for nothing...
    Probably the usual capital city bias by the out of touch metropolitan elite - I think Berlin schools go back early, along with the rest of the former East Germany.
  • Options

I hope everybody is supporting Burnley tonight

You are Ali Campbell, and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630

Yes, though regular working days for many.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613

Andy_JS said:

darkage said:

Sorry for going off topic but I wondered if people still use BT for their broadband. I have stuck with them, on the assumption that they would be no better than anyone else. But I have found them to be hard work. I had a problem with my router which means that it cuts out continually, I kept being told that I was imagining it or it was my computer that was at fault, I proved otherwise to them and they eventually sent an engineer around and it seemed to be fixed, only now the problems are starting up again, and I am stuck with another 9 months on my contract. The current situation is really bad because the WIFI is now so unreliable that I can't use it for work, mobile broadband is more reliable. I fear that I will need to go in to some kind of energy sapping consumer rights battle with BT. Am I just unfortunate or do other people experience/hear of these problems with BT?

The only problem we have with BT is that an incoming call on the landline seems to knock out broadband for 1-2 minutes. Can't be bothered to work out why as we've trained everyone we know to call our cell phones, thereby conceding the landline to spammers who can safely be ignored.
    What's a landline?
    Nah, that's line rental.

We've got a landline but hardly use it. But since we'd still have to pay the line rental would there be any advantage in dropping it? None that I can see.
    One less thing to dust

We've got one of these for nostalgia value. It's a bit of a curiosity for anyone under 30 - they all want to give it a try.

Can still remember how impressed me and my sisters were when our grandmother got a "Princess" phone, think it was pink.
    I remember Trimphones, they cost more for some reason. You had to rent the handset off BT (or the GPO or whatever they were called at the time).
    Kids would compete to see who could do the best impression of a Trimphone.
  • Options

darkage said:

BT have been great for me.

Avoid Virgin like the plague.
    I have never met someone with a good word to say about Virgin fibre/broadband.
    Virgin when it is great is utterly brilliant but far too often it is terrible and their customer services are even worse.

One of the reasons I'm migrating from O2 is I know they'll infect O2's brilliant customer services.
    All companies are the same. Every service is great when things go well and appalling as soon as there is a problem. Not just ISPs but shops, banks, delivery services, everyone. The suppliers probably do not use their own service, and certainly not their own complaints procedure. Nothing is tested. Customer services consists of a badly-programmed chatbot and two bored housewives in a far-off country of which we know little.
    Nah, I had a few issues with O2 and BT in the past, they were magnificent.

Ditto Lloyds and Coutts.

Also big shoutout to Sky when I had a faulty box or two.
    Do you really bank with NatWest?
  • Options
    BREAKING: Florida reports 77,848 new coronavirus cases, by far the biggest one-day increase on record https://t.co/Vp1tDrN1su
  • Options
    londoneye said:

And the news is????
  • Options
    Two years ago today.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Andy_JS said:

darkage said:

What's a landline?
    Nah, that's line rental.

One less thing to dust

To add to my WC credentials we had a "party line"
    Yeh, but I'll bet you didn't follow it.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

When I were a lad you had to be well-spoken and presentable to land a job with Auntie. I failed badly on the latter. Nowadays both attributes would be regarded as a fatal disqualification.
    To be honest, this was in the dead zone between xmas and new year.
    Somebody told me today the name for this period is now "twixtmas" which I quite like.
    Indeed. It's a good time for a cheap citybreak, between the expense and annoyance of travelling at Christmas and New Year. Or used to be.
    I find it a great time to get work done because colleagues and clients rarely interrupt you.
    I have certainly done that, and gone into work to shift a backlog, do some of those "nice to do" things, or just plan for the New Year. But where I am now we are very quiet between Christmas and New Year and it is rather boring. In 2019 I went to Copenhagen for a few days and maybe in 2022 I'll be able to do something similar.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Series:

Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    I’ll add:

1.squid games
    2. The Witcher
    3. The last kingdom

Last Kingdom is great.
    I watched one episode of Witcher. Utterly confused. What a mess.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Lock him up...

That very picture shows four people to his left not wearing them,
    ?? The guidance at the football last night (Cov City match) was to wear in the concourses/buying drinks & the loo, but whilst seated you were free to take them off.
    Is the Prem different, did Cov City have it wrong - the team certainly did with their tactics but that was another story.
    Only a couple of % at the Leicester/Liverpool match were wearing masks, but I was one of them.
  • Options

Two years ago today.

Today another chinese city of 13 million is totally locked down....
  • Options
    Charles said:

darkage said:

Virgin when it is great is utterly brilliant but far too often it is terrible and their customer services are even worse.

One of the reasons I'm migrating from O2 is I know they'll infect O2's brilliant customer services.
    All companies are the same. Every service is great when things go well and appalling as soon as there is a problem. Not just ISPs but shops, banks, delivery services, everyone. The suppliers probably do not use their own service, and certainly not their own complaints procedure. Nothing is tested. Customer services consists of a badly-programmed chatbot and two bored housewives in a far-off country of which we know little.

Ditto Lloyds and Coutts.

I used to bank with RBS and was upgraded to Coutts.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes, though regular working days for many.
    No one has ever asked me to work in the week between Christmas and New Year for some reason.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

Aberfan was great, too.

We will never forget
    Whenever I drive from Nelson to Merthyr I can see the churchyard across the dark valley with those dozens of enormous headstones. It never fails to create a sick pit in the stomach. It was probably a particularly dreary place before 1966, but since then an air of cold hard depressing sadness hangs over the place.
  • Options
    Seattle Times ($) BREAKING NEWS

COVID-19 positivity rate soars near 50% at some Seattle-area testing sites, straining capacity

UW Medicine will soon start limiting its COVID-19 testing appointments to include only those with symptoms or known exposures because of an “astronomically high” positivity rate that’s slowing the testing process, the health care system announced Thursday.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

Aberfan was great, too.

We will never forget
    Whenever I drive from Nelson to Merthyr I can see the churchyard across the dark valley with those dozens of enormous headstones. It never fails to create a sick pit in the stomach. It was probably a particularly dreary place before 1966, but since then an air of cold hard depressing sadness hangs over the place.
    Words are hard to tell just how dreadful the disaster was
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2021
    Apparently Ron DeSantis has been MIA for 12 days now.

Just trying to confirm this.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

When I were a lad you had to be well-spoken and presentable to land a job with Auntie. I failed badly on the latter. Nowadays both attributes would be regarded as a fatal disqualification.
    To be honest, this was in the dead zone between xmas and new year.
    Somebody told me today the name for this period is now "twixtmas" which I quite like.
    Indeed. It's a good time for a cheap citybreak, between the expense and annoyance of travelling at Christmas and New Year. Or used to be.
    I find it a great time to get work done because colleagues and clients rarely interrupt you.
    I have certainly done that, and gone into work to shift a backlog, do some of those "nice to do" things, or just plan for the New Year. But where I am now we are very quiet between Christmas and New Year and it is rather boring. In 2019 I went to Copenhagen for a few days and maybe in 2022 I'll be able to do something similar.
    I find that these are the most productive working days of the year as there are no interruptions.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Maybe he has been on holiday with Boris ;-)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Series:

Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    I’ll add:

1.squid games
    2. The Witcher
    3. The last kingdom

Last Kingdom is great.
    I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194
    Alistair said:

He's a rapper?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited December 2021
    May have been missed here but Friedrich Merz has been elected the new leader of the CDU after Laschet resigned following September's CDU defeat.
    Merz is expected to shift the CDU to the right in opposition to new Chancellor Scholz's SPD led government and patch up relations with the CSU and Markus Soder

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/17/friedrich-merz-german-rightwinger-cdu-leader-members-vote
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,202
    I see in an earlier post today @Dura_Ace was bemoaning the "fake polite English middle class civility" where we PBers all pretend to be nice to each other, to maintain decorum, and instead he urges us to be more open, Celtic (??), and rude, as befits the truth

Taking on board his very valid insights, I urge @Dura_Ace thus: get yourself fucking vaccinated you nasty, racist, lying, stupid, tiny-dicked Anglophobic c*nt, because you are literally killing my friends and family, and destroying my nation

Thanks, and all best to you
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,756

Andy_JS said:

darkage said:

What's a landline?
    Nah, that's line rental.

One less thing to dust

Kids would compete to see who could do the best impression of a Trimphone.
    Starlings too. Or do I misremember?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Series:

Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    I’ll add:

1.squid games
    2. The Witcher
    3. The last kingdom

Last Kingdom is great.
    It helps (a lot) if you've read the books, or played the games and absorbed a decent amount of the in-universe lore.

Also, if you've realised that there are three separate timelines going on concurrently - a fact they did not publicise, and one that even many longtime fans did not pick up until several episodes in. I can definitely see how it would be frustrating for complete newcomers, though.

Other Netflix shows I recommend unequivocally (not already mentioned, in descending order):
    - The Good Place
    - Sex Education
    - House of Cards
    - The People vs OJ Simpson

I hear great things about Arcane, but not seen it yet.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 122
    darkage said:

Right, I used to work on this stuff. There are a bunch of places where things could be going wrong:

1) Your usage. Have you got all the kids home at the same time, using their laptops? Does the problem go away when they go out? Have you got a bunch of other devices connected (tvs, etc) which are doing stuff in the background?

These systems are supposed to share the bandwidth equitably when maxed out, but sometimes that doesn't work and everything goes to shit.
    The symptom here is that everything things it is connected fine but is slow/crappy.

2) The wifi environment. Wifi is a shared medium and all devices (including your neighbours). In a densely populated area, it can get overused, and wifi isn't great at co-ordinating to split the bandwidth equally when it's maxed out, because each device in the area has to co-operate to do that. This is easy to test: plug your laptop into an ethernet port (you might need to buy an usb-ethernet adapter, if you don't have an ethernet port). What you're looking for is not, 'is ethernet better' - it will be better, apart from being tied to a cable. What you're looking for, is, does it occasionally drop out in the same way that the wifi did? If it does, then the problem wasn't the wifi. This is harder to solve. One thing that can help is changing your router to a different channel. Sometimes there are some overpopulated channels and others that are underutilised. Everything will drop off and have to reconnect when you tell your router to change its channel.

3) The router itself being shitty. They don't make a big story about this, but normally the router is under a different arrangement than the service. The service ends at the wall box and you are at liberty to get a different router and plug it in. You don't need to wait to the end of your contract to do this.

This does require some technical nous. You need to find the credentials your current router uses to log into the service (not the same as the ones used to connect to your router). BT won't help you set up a router they didn't sell you, but they should tell you these credentials, if you can't get them out of the router. You can also borrow a friends router to try (although you need to make sure you write down his credientials before substituting them).

Note, that applies to DSL (including 'fibre to the curb'). May be different for proper fibre and cable.

(too long, next comment)
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    I want figures
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 122
    4) The RF environment. Both wifi and DSL can be interrupted by some other device stomping ove rthe RF environment. An improperly shielded fridge, motorbike going by with badly shielded spark plugs, etc. Difficult to figure out. For DSL BT should be able to tell if this is the problem by looking at their logs. Whether they will bother is another question...

5) BT's actual network. it used to be quite common that the links further upstream were underprovisioned, and everyone's service in the area would get a bit shit at peak times. Ask your neighbours (with suitable covid precautions, I guess...)

The only ISP I know of who will properly go the extra mile to figure out this sort of issue is Andrews and Arnold. Unfortunately they do it by charging 2x the market rate. So they mostly serve businesses and those whose internet is crucial for work - although I guess that these days, that's everyone....

If that's not enough to be going on with, another thing to google is 'bufferbloat'....
  • Options
    If anybody is interested, my profile picture is a clipped part of a painting an AI created for me after being given the title "the dispatched child".....the machines are coming for all of us.
  • Options

Annual perineum.
    That's what Knox and the Reformers would call it (with some justice) if they used the kind of language seen on PB these days.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

Aberfan was great, too.

We will never forget
    Suspect they hit the wrong button - easy to miss 'like' and hit 'off topic'. Don't take it to heart Big_G, no one thinks of Aberfan without feeling very sad.
    I hope so

The birth of our son a few days later with all those grieving parents had an emotional effect on us and most new parents at the time
    To be clear Big G, I was observing that the episode on Aberfan was very well done, and had the benefit of bringing it to the attention of my (younger) generation.

It always strikes me how many people died in heavy industry in the past, the Forth Bridge a local example.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Series:

Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    Better Call Saul is good as long as you don't expect it to be like Breaking Bad.
  • Options

Charles said:

darkage said:

Ditto Lloyds and Coutts.

I hope you don’t still bank there.

If you are going for a vanity chequebook at least be classy and work with Childs or Drummonds
  • Options
    ping said:

I want figures

Maybe Boris is checking them.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

Aberfan was great, too.

We will never forget
    My dear mother (close to your age, old boy) still vividly recalls newscaster breaking down to tears as they relayed the news

I went to Aberfan in Lockdown 1, on a glorious spring day. Despite the weather, the whole place BROODS
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Lol, DeSantis has been posting bland "dropped it at restraunt X, check them out" and the replies are wall to wall 'this visit was 3 weeks ago'
  • Options
    Leon said:

I see in an earlier post today @Dura_Ace was bemoaning the "fake polite English middle class civility" where we PBers all pretend to be nice to each other, to maintain decorum, and instead he urges us to be more open, Celtic (??), and rude, as befits the truth

Taking on board his very valid insights, I urge @Dura_Ace thus: get yourself fucking vaccinated you nasty, racist, lying, stupid, tiny-dicked Anglophobic c*nt, because you are literally killing my friends and family, and destroying my nation

Thanks, and all best to you

I say old fruit, that's a bit off what, equating Celticity with rudeness and, erm, more rudeness.
  • Options
    ping said:

I want figures

To go all CHB, I reckon their website team fainted at the sight of them.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    Is that suboptimal SQL query STILL running?

How many cases is it finding today to be 2hrs longer than yesterday?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Here in WA State, we had a state senator who caught COVID in El Salvador, doing some kind of (likely dirty) deal with the local jefes. He was flown to Florida for treatment, but died earlier this month.

Local GOP are getting ready to nominate a short-list of three, one of whom will be selected by the local county council (controlled by Dems) to fill the vacancy until the 2022 general election. (By state law, replacement must be of the same party.)

Note that this particular legislative district is quite marginal, and also that redistricting has NOT altered the partisan balance. In fact the late senator was reelected in 2018 only after a hand recount, and one of the two state house members for the district (both Ds) had already planned to run for the senate seat.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

The English deaths data was delayed and they like to publish it all at the same time.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

ping said:

I want figures

To go all CHB, I reckon their website team fainted at the sight of them.
    Spain is reporting 160,000 cases, Greece 35,000, these are insane figures. The UK could be north of 300k.

But does it matter? No and yes. No, because we are all getting it now, Yes, because we have reached the endemic stage, where we live with a nasty new illness that kills around 0.4% or vulnerable whatever. Tis what tis

There must be no more lockdowns. We have reached the endstage
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

darkage said:

Ditto Lloyds and Coutts.

If you are going for a vanity chequebook at least be classy and work with Childs or Drummonds
    I don't have a chequebook anymore. No point, it is one those areas that is a cause of a lot of frauds and scams.

I'm with Lloyds Mayfair these days.

I know, I know, the shame, the shame, but I have to show my working class credentials somehow.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Series:

Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    I’ll add:

1.squid games
    2. The Witcher
    3. The last kingdom

Last Kingdom is great.
    First series hard to follow - but mainly because the universe is so vast. And if you haven’t read the books or played the games (as someone else has mentioned) it is hard to follow.

However - game of thrones was similar in terms of universe. Made things easier by having that map at the beginning so at least you could get a sense of who was where etc. I’ll not mention the absolute bonfire of a last season
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Ministers get pre-release access to these figures?

Is publication subject to ministerial sign off?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

BT engineers are usually excellent once you can get them to turn up. The problem is getting through the brain-dead call centres.

My favourite was when I phoned them to tell them we'd severed the armoured cable with a JCB, and could they please send someone to put it together again (which I was quite happy to pay for, it being our contractor's fault). They still insisted on going through the idiotic script ('Have you rebooted the router? etc etc).

BT engineers are usually excellent once you can get them to turn up…

They’re also pretty scathing about BT if you get chatting to them.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

Aberfan was great, too.

We will never forget
    I hope so

To be clear Big G, I was observing that the episode on Aberfan was very well done, and had the benefit of bringing it to the attention of my (younger) generation.

It always strikes me how many people died in heavy industry in the past, the Forth Bridge a local example.
    The numbers of deaths in US industrial settings in the 1900-1910 period was truly astounding.

“No wonder the streets of Pittsburgh are sad,” Eastman wrote, noting that more than 500 people died and thousands—the actual numbers were impossible to count since many never went to hospitals—suffered injures each year in industrial accidents in a city of some 600,000 people. Nor could the injured or families of the deceased obtain compensation from their employers unless they could prove negligence—faulty equipment, orders to do unsafe work, or the like—in a court of law."

Crystal Eastman, Work-Accidents and the Law (New York: Russell Sage Foundation), 1910.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Data updated.

27th now record with 167,000 cases.
  • Options

meh
  • Options
    Request cannot be served.
  • Options
    Leon said:

meh

A huge number of course, but seems similar to yesterday?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Fishing said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Series:

Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    Better Call Saul is good as long as you don't expect it to be like Breaking Bad.
    Better Call Saul is a slow-burning character study. Superb stuff if you have the patience early on.

Breaking Bad is perfect. I think the best series ever made.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    2,082 hospitalisations in England for 28th Dec.

Figures going to be all over the place with Christmas reporting.
  • Options
    Good to see the 90% mark hit.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

darkage said:

Ditto Lloyds and Coutts.

I don't have a chequebook anymore. No point, it is one those areas that is a cause of a lot of frauds and scams.

I know, I know, the shame, the shame, but I have to show my working class credentials somehow.
    I banked with Lloyds when I was a teenager 😂
  • Options
    Leon said:

meh

You're better than that. Look at the back fill for the 27th.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Pro_Rata said:

I've been imagining something like that scene in the Jurassic Park novel where the computer engineer is stunned to find there are more dinosaurs in the park than they expected because they told the computer to only look for the number of dinos they expected to find.
  • Options
    Competition Update - no change - @Northern_Al cruising to victory

Boosters reported today: 435,293
    Highest Boosters to date: 968,665 (22/12)
    Nearest estimate: @Northern_Al 963,451
    Next nearest: @MattW (986,000)
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    My wife has just come in from work and reports Winchester hospital is very quiet.
  • Options

If anybody is interested, my profile picture is a clipped part of a painting an AI created for me after being given the title "the dispatched child".....the machines are coming for all of us.

Seems to be borrowing a lot from Rembrandt
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Pretty much the only good thing of buying our new build is fibre to the premise. And now Hyperoptic have installed cabling down the street and we can get a second FttP provider!

We've had a leaflet from Cityfibre and the next street down is getting Hyperoptic. BT aren't scheduled to rollout full fibre until ~2026 for our exchange. BT are going to get buggered over the next 3-4 years, their full fibre is worse, more expansive and hardly available.
    Cityfibre are not infallible.
    My leased line was out for 24 hrs last month,

They are good value, but not 100% reliable.
  • Options

My wife has just come in from work and reports Winchester hospital is very quiet.

Well it’s evening isn’t it? :D
  • Options
    Dr John Campbell review of latest paper on T cell response...

https://youtu.be/8EDBJBmlvXY
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Charles said:

Charles said:

darkage said:

Ditto Lloyds and Coutts.

Friend of mine was nearly turned down by the chairman of one of those twattish niche banks the other day because he was caught behind in the Eton Winchester match 1979 and didn't walk.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Are we still not counting re-infections?
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

I've been imagining something like that scene in the Jurassic Park novel where the computer engineer is stunned to find there are more dinosaurs in the park than they expected because they told the computer to only look for the number of dinos they expected to find.
    Or the delay in finding the ozone hole because the data was too 'outlier' and hence dumped by the computer screening the data.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Fishing said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Series:

Top Boy Summerhouse
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Unbelievable
    Godless

Documentaries:

Making a Murderer
    Wild Wild Country
    The Confessions killer
    Losers

All free on Netflix now.
    Better Call Saul is a slow-burning character study. Superb stuff if you have the patience early on.

Breaking Bad is perfect. I think the best series ever made.
    Spartacus was the best. Of the Golden Age

They invented a whole new language. And their brilliant star actor (God bless him) died of cancer after the first season. Yet they still persisted, devised a prequel mid-drama, and then ended on a total high

It was and is a triumph. Close to perfection

Next, the usual list (of dramas):

Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Battlestar Galactica
    The first series of Gomorrah
    The Killing (Danish original, first season)
    Vikings

etc

We are blessed with great TV even as music hurtles to inanity

I wonder if this is how Edwardians felt as they saw poetry disappear in significance as the novel rose to dominance
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

darkage said:

Ditto Lloyds and Coutts.

I banked with Lloyds when I was a teenager 😂
    That's the sickest and cruellest burn of my life.

I keep on getting headhunted by BNP Paribas, so I might end up banking with them.

I'm sure I'll get quite the looks when my debit and credit cards have the initials BNP on them.
  • Options
    londoneye said:

Pope shits in the woods.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Well it’s evening isn’t it? :D
    She was there from 7am, loads of empty beds
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    TimT said:

Seems to be borrowing a lot from Rembrandt
    You can ask it to "borrow" the style from lots of different artists across a wide range of styles. In this case I didn't ask any more than a painting that matches the title.

The zoomed out view is this young person sitting in a dim room with small amount of natural light coming from an unseen window bouncing off one of the walls.
This discussion has been closed.