Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New betting market – A CON vote lead before Jan 31st? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Residents in locked-down Chinese city plead for food

Chinese officials have admitted supply issues for residents in locked-down Xi'an, after the city's inhabitants decried food shortages and called for help.

Some 13 million residents in northern Xi'an are in their seventh day of home confinement, and national health officials have called for measures to be strengthened further as China battles its worst virus surge in months.

Beijing has followed a strict "zero Covid" strategy involving tight border restrictions and targeted lockdowns since the virus first surfaced in a central city in late 2019.

But officials admitted at a press conference on Wednesday that "low staff attendance and difficulties in logistics and distribution" had led to trouble providing essential supplies.

A day before, many residents asked on social media for help acquiring food and other essentials, with some saying their housing compounds would not let them out even though they were running out of food.

----

Its definitely only 200 cases.....

I, for one, like the use of videos. After yesterday's mass spraying, we have name and shame parades.

I guess the timing is completely coincidental. Completely.
    Seeing the footage, it does again rather seem like the Chinese authorities watch these Western Dystopian films as an instruction manual rather than a warning.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

The point about railways is there is no competition. So let's stop pretending there is and run them ourselves.

Just like water.

If there is a problem of a lack of competition, then the solution is to introduce more competition.
    You cannot have competition on the railways, same track. Same infrastructure.
    Wrong. Are you saying that we cannot have competition in road freight, as they all use the same infrastructure (roads?).

That's slightly disingenuous of me, as the railways are much more highly regulated than roads. But Open Access is an example of where there is very much competition, and something I would like to see more of. I'd like to see OA expanded within the concessions system.
    Open Access has not reduced prices
    It has introduced the discipline of the market, and has provided reduced prices.

For example, I can book a ticket from London to Leeds in a few days time for £27 return. Superb value.
    That is hideously expensive
    Really?

It is about 200 miles, or 400 miles return. At 15 pence per mile by car, that is £60.

The journey also takes 4 hours by car (one way). The train takes 2hr20m to 2ht40m.

Care to say why it is 'hideously expensive' ?
    Compare it to the cost of a train in Europe
    Isn't the trope that the UK has the highest rail prices massively distorted by relatively short-distance commuter rail?
    Pretty much.

Just from my own experiences - Paris Metro and RER was dirt cheap while unprepared travel in UK can be costly.

There is a slightly different pricing structure - buying in advance is much cheaper in the UK, being able to plan in advance cheaper still - but if there were deals in France, I could never find them.

• Options
    London to Edinburgh leave today, return 1st Jan: £138 - 418 miles each way

Barcelona to Madrid leave today, return 1st Jan: £81.48 - 388 miles each way
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,689

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

The point about railways is there is no competition. So let's stop pretending there is and run them ourselves.

Just like water.

If there is a problem of a lack of competition, then the solution is to introduce more competition.
    Wrong. Are you saying that we cannot have competition in road freight, as they all use the same infrastructure (roads?).

That's slightly disingenuous of me, as the railways are much more highly regulated than roads. But Open Access is an example of where there is very much competition, and something I would like to see more of. I'd like to see OA expanded within the concessions system.
    It has introduced the discipline of the market, and has provided reduced prices.

For example, I can book a ticket from London to Leeds in a few days time for £27 return. Superb value.
    Really?

It is about 200 miles, or 400 miles return. At 15 pence per mile by car, that is £60.

The journey also takes 4 hours by car (one way). The train takes 2hr20m to 2ht40m.

Here's that myth debunked and put in context by the Man in Seat 61:
    https://www.seat61.com/uk-europe-train-fares-comparison.html

TLDR: UK has a wider range of prices - more expensive for walk up tickets, much cheaper for prebooked and off-peak.

A wider range of options and prices, as one would expect from a more market-based philosophy.

A wider range of prices which will better utilise the infrastructure across the whole day and week. Much better.
    Aye its bollocks. The tickets should be the same price regardless of if they are booked in advance, otherwise driving will always be more convenient.

Imagine if you had to book the tube in advance?
    I note that even the tube offers lower cost options to manage demand across different times of day with different demand for services.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

My house to Newcastle City Centre one way by bus, something ridiculous like £3.50.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

It's amusing to see so many zero Covid zealots in a circlejerk denying that a smaller percentage of a bigger number is as serious as a bigger percentage of a smaller number ... When that was the entire point of the Omicron panic.

Chris Whitty and others have been saying that even if the virus is less severe if it effects more people it's just as serious a problem.

So yes 20x5% = 1. That is a mathematical truism.

Isn't the problem also that Whitty's calculation assumes the world in November 2020, when nobody was vaccinated, nobody was boosted and nobody had antibodies. Ie the world of Delta....

• Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

TLDR: UK has a wider range of prices - more expensive for walk up tickets, much cheaper for prebooked and off-peak.

A wider range of options and prices, as one would expect from a more market-based philosophy.

A wider range of prices which will better utilise the infrastructure across the whole day and week. Much better.
    Aye its bollocks. The tickets should be the same price regardless of if they are booked in advance, otherwise driving will always be more convenient.

I note that even the tube offers lower cost options to manage demand across different times of day with different demand for services.
    But I'm not saying the price shouldn't vary at different times of day, I'm saying however that the price should be fixed at a particular time of day, regardless of whether its booked in advance or not.
  • Options
    If you can book anything in advance it is cheaper, you can book French, Spanish, Italian tickets in advance.

The point is that if you want to go somewhere, you go. If you're flexible sites like Trainline will tell you when to go but the reality is that people get on the train when they want to go.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Why? That would prevent a lot of people who find the full price difficult to afford from travelling by train. I know friends for whom a price of (approx correct prices) £20 prebooked rather than £60 walk up fare for a day trip to London from Sheffield makes the difference between travelling and not.

Why should high demand times be subsidised by low demand times?
    I didn't say high demand times should be subsidised by low demand times.
    But that's what it amounts to.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    MISTY said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting that the energy industry is asking for a £20bn 10 year state backed loan for energy subsidies and the government is considering giving it to them in order to keep prices down. Imagine winding the clock back to 2012 and creating the same £20bn state backed loan fund for companies to borrow and invest cheaply in renewable energy creation and for industry to borrow cheaply to create a whole renewable energy industry for countries where solar isn't viable.

We're going to spend the money either way, this way all we're doing is subsidising high gas prices, effectively a transfer of taxpayer cash to Qatar, Russia and Shell.

Once again, a real lack of strategic thinking from the government and the same treasury bods who don't understand the concept of value creation.

The IEA came up with the astonishing claim the other day the government actually wants much higher energy prices because of the potential profit motive. The logic is that high prices will supercharge investment in new non carbon alternatives to make a buck - bringing the price down long term.

Its brave, minister.
    That might make for economic sense, and help with getting the country away from dependence on foreign-sourced fuels - but it’s political suicide.

Even David Cameron dropped the “Green Crap”, when he realised where it was going with regard to energy bills.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Why? That would prevent a lot of people who find the full price difficult to afford from travelling by train. I know friends for whom a price of (approx correct prices) £20 prebooked rather than £60 walk up fare for a day trip to London from Sheffield makes the difference between travelling and not.

Why is it useful to have empty trains running around off peak, with people who can't afford the fares imprisoned at home?
    @HYUFD level moving the goalposts here.

I'm in favour of cheaper, standard fares, that can be predicted.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Ultimately I shouldn't have to guess how much it will cost. Charge more in peak times to "better utilise the infrastructure", sure, but the price from Newcastle Central to London Kings X at say, 10am on a weekday, should always be the same price.
    So 10am on a quiet weekday is subsidising 10am on a busy weekday? Why?

The whole point of variable pricing is that the same time on the same day isn't the same all the time.

Eg if Lord's is hosting a Test match starting at 11am do you think the stations near it are no busier than normal at 10am?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Farooq said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Morning all.

Can I ask a silly question - why do the 2 options in the chart not add up to 100%? It seems to be a 2 option Yes/No question, so according to me it should do that.

Implied chance from betting odds always adds up to >100%. That's the margin the bookies make the profit from.
    Cheers. I had nor considered that applying here.

So a lowish, but not very low, overround.
    I think 8% is pretty standard. Certainly you can easily find 15% in markets with many runners. Basically, the harder it is to see how badly they're screwing you, the worse you can expect it to be. Pretty easy to spot bad value in a two horse race, though, so 8% is expected.
    I don’t think that’s right though - the field is bigger so the profit is greater for the bookie but the individual is paying less

Assuming punters bet in equal numbers on each horse

With 2 horses, there is one loser so with 80 punters there are 40 to pay the bookies margin

With 8 horses there are 7 losers, so with 80 punters there are 70 to pay the bookies margin.

If the overround is 15% on the larger race the individual losing punter is paying 1/70*0.15 = 0.002 vs 1/40*.08 = 0.002
    Excellent point.
    For a full analysis, you'd need to know whether there is a systemic bias on the longer or shorter odds, or whether it's spread evenly across all prices. My hunch is that favourite prices tend to be fairer and the longer odds are way too short, but I don't have any inside information on that.
    I don’t think long odds are set based on probabilities. At some level they are a marketing tool.

Let’s say there is a 3% chance of a horse winning. The “fair” price is 33-1. A bookie may price at 50-1 to attract more business (and hopefully both losers on that horse plus they will bet at the same time on other horses).

At that point it’s a theoretical loss leader with the price set by the risk of the book rather than the probability of the horse winning.

In contrast if they price at 25-1 in the absence of any better information they will take fewer bets and make less money but at a lower risk
  • Options
    edited December 2021

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Ultimately I shouldn't have to guess how much it will cost. Charge more in peak times to "better utilise the infrastructure", sure, but the price from Newcastle Central to London Kings X at say, 10am on a weekday, should always be the same price.

The whole point of variable pricing is that the same time on the same day isn't the same all the time.

Eg if Lord's is hosting a Test match starting at 11am do you think the stations near it are no busier than normal at 10am?
    I don't really care, I want the fares predictable. Otherwise it isn't convenient.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Why is it useful to have empty trains running around off peak, with people who can't afford the fares imprisoned at home?

Those are contradictory desires. If you want predictability you need higher minimum prices.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,406

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Last time I was in Germany, rail fares seemed quite high, especially if bought at short notice. I did get a good deal from Berlin to Leipzig, but I was able to buy that one in advance. There are some good group tickets, but I was travelling on my own. The Land/Regional day tickets can be good value, especially if bought as a group, but some seem no longer available - I'm sure there used to be a Berlin-Brandenburg-Vorpommen one that took you to Szczecin, but it no longer seemed to exist.
    In Europe generally, you need to book well ahead to get the best fares.

Although the real European rip-off is charging half the second class fare for dogs, who are only allowed on the floor, when in the UK they travel for free.
  • Options

My house to Newcastle City Centre one way by bus, something ridiculous like £3.50.
    Once did Brum to Middlesboro' for about that. Best bus trip ever.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Those are contradictory desires. If you want predictability you need higher minimum prices.
    Or a higher government subsidy.
  • Options

Residents in locked-down Chinese city plead for food

Chinese officials have admitted supply issues for residents in locked-down Xi'an, after the city's inhabitants decried food shortages and called for help.

Some 13 million residents in northern Xi'an are in their seventh day of home confinement, and national health officials have called for measures to be strengthened further as China battles its worst virus surge in months.

Beijing has followed a strict "zero Covid" strategy involving tight border restrictions and targeted lockdowns since the virus first surfaced in a central city in late 2019.

But officials admitted at a press conference on Wednesday that "low staff attendance and difficulties in logistics and distribution" had led to trouble providing essential supplies.

A day before, many residents asked on social media for help acquiring food and other essentials, with some saying their housing compounds would not let them out even though they were running out of food.

----

Its definitely only 200 cases.....

I, for one, like the use of videos. After yesterday's mass spraying, we have name and shame parades.

I guess the timing is completely coincidental. Completely.
    Seeing the footage, it does again rather seem like the Chinese authorities watch these Western Dystopian films as an instruction manual rather than a warning.
    I think we're the intended audience.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

I don't really care, I want the fares predictable. Otherwise it isn't convenient.
    So you'd prefer expensive predictable fares over potentially cheaper variable ones?

Fair enough.

Either you can have predictability or cheapness, not both. Some people require stability in prices and that's why they pay a surcharge to financial services companies for futures etc
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

We have had standardised offpeak fares for many many years - An LNER Super Offpeak single from Newcastle to London is £76.20

Peak singles are £169.

Which is why we now have fixed tickets because they work out way, way cheaper.
  • Options
    Dutch economist Robin Fransman, the founder of an anti-lockdown group who refused to get vaccinated because coronavirus poses a "minimal risk," has died of COVID-19. He was 53
  • Options
    I use the train to commute, I can't choose when I go, I have to go every day.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/rail-fares-rise-2019-how-13799396

KEY: Country From To (Distance in miles) - Monthly season ticket price 2019 (% of monthly earnings)

UK Chelmsford London (28) - £393.19 (13%)

UK Manchester Liverpool (31) - £256.90 (8%)

Germany Eberswalde Berlin (40) - £120.61 (4%)

France Étampes Paris (35) - £67.50 (2%)

Belgium Ghent Brussels (35) - £150.31 (4%)

Ireland Drogheda Dublin (29) - £116.11 (3%)

For people that actually use the trains, the costs are absurd
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited December 2021
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Of course you can. One (possibly public) company owns the infrastructure, and other companies provide competitive services and compete for business. Same as road haulage, airports, broadband…

The mistake with rail, was the huge regional service monopolies, especially on intercity routes.
    Why isn't there more competition with bus services? Most places end up with a local monopoly.
    Local bus services are usually loss-making, and end up either run by the council or under council subsidy. Where there’s competition for buses, is in large cities and on long-distance services, and you usually see competition on those routes.
    Transport systems are natural monopolies because they are networks. Hence you don't get competition for the entire network of routes, just the most profitable routes. It was what Freddy Laker and Richard Branson did to BA back in the day. And it is why US domestic routes are now all organized around hubs and spokes.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Dutch economist Robin Fransman, the founder of an anti-lockdown group who refused to get vaccinated because coronavirus poses a "minimal risk," has died of COVID-19. He was 53

Darwin award contender.
  • Options
    I see some on social media are trying to get "LET'S GO DARWIN" going.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

I have some sympathy with your view, as I mostly use railways on an on-demand basis getting back from walks.

But convenience can be the other way. If I'm out on a walk, I often need to get back to my start point. Instead of having to catch (say) the 15.35 train from station C, I might choose to walk a little further to station D and get a later one. Or station B and get an earlier one.

I *hate* having a ticket booked in advance (or having to catch the one train or bus that runs in an afternoon), and having the entire day planned around having to catch that one service.

Walk-on tickets are convenient for me, and I'm willing to pay the little extra expense for that convenience.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

If you turn up at the station, at 10am on a given weekday to buy a ticket on the next train from the ticket office, it will always be the same price.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

So you'd prefer expensive predictable fares over potentially cheaper variable ones?

Fair enough.

Either you can have predictability or cheapness, not both. Some people require stability in prices and that's why they pay a surcharge to financial services companies for futures etc
    No, I want cheap predictable fares thanks.
  • Options
    The amount we subsidise our railways, it is absurd just how expensive they are.

It's weird we're anti subsidy for trains but pro subsidy for railways, nobody is calling for them to be privatised
  • Options

KEY: Country From To (Distance in miles) - Monthly season ticket price 2019 (% of monthly earnings)

Yes, those are certainly more expensive. But different from the earlier claim about London to Leeds being absurdly expensive.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

If you turn up at the station, at 10am on a given weekday to buy a ticket on the next train from the ticket office, it will always be the same price.
    And so as I said initially, compare the cost of that to Europe. Europe is cheaper.

And the train will probably turn up, unlike here where it won't
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes, those are certainly more expensive. But different from the earlier claim about London to Leeds being absurdly expensive.
    I stand by that, that is hideously expensive
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Fair enough.

Actually you can have both.

That £76.20 gets you on any super offpeak train - what it doesn't guarantee you is a seat because if they have all been bought a seat won't be available.

Oh and the people in the seats will have traded some flexibility in time in return for a far cheaper (say £32) ticket.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Yeah, and it will be massively more expensive than if I had booked it weeks in advance.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Last time I was in Germany, rail fares seemed quite high, especially if bought at short notice. I did get a good deal from Berlin to Leipzig, but I was able to buy that one in advance. There are some good group tickets, but I was travelling on my own. The Land/Regional day tickets can be good value, especially if bought as a group, but some seem no longer available - I'm sure there used to be a Berlin-Brandenburg-Vorpommen one that took you to Szczecin, but it no longer seemed to exist.

Although the real European rip-off is charging half the second class fare for dogs, who are only allowed on the floor, when in the UK they travel for free.
    That made me blink.

Where else is a dog going to go - perhaps in the luggage rack or on the roof?
  • Options

RobD said:

What's the scale of outrage on prices? Does it immediately go to hideously expensive (despite them actually being comparable to continental prices), or is there a continuum?
  • Options
    Northern Ireland trains seem to run okay.

They must be privatised.

Oh wait, owned by the Government
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Fair enough.

That's an oxymoron.

Do you also want hot ice cream?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Darwin award contender.
    Not sure Fort Knox holds enough gold to make all the Darwin awards due this year.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

What's the scale of outrage on prices? Does it immediately go to hideously expensive (despite them actually being comparable to continental prices), or is there a continuum?
    Just a lot of money to spend on a train, it seems to me.

In London I pay £1.50
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

In London I pay £1.50
    To go 200 miles?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Fair enough.

That's an oxymoron.

Do you also want hot ice cream?
    Well you're Captain Oxymoron so I'm quite happy with my opinion on this, thanks.
  • Options
    I am quite happy to say if you want to book in advance, you can get good deals.

But that is not how people actually use the train, it's a total misnomer
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Yeah, and it will be massively more expensive than if I had booked it weeks in advance.
    Of course. Ever turned up at the airport looking to buy a ticket on a plane?

The people with the cheap tickets committed weeks ago to a particular plane or train, those booking late or needing flexibility pay more for those services.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Charles said:

Farooq said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Morning all.

Can I ask a silly question - why do the 2 options in the chart not add up to 100%? It seems to be a 2 option Yes/No question, so according to me it should do that.

Implied chance from betting odds always adds up to >100%. That's the margin the bookies make the profit from.
    Cheers. I had nor considered that applying here.

So a lowish, but not very low, overround.
    I think 8% is pretty standard. Certainly you can easily find 15% in markets with many runners. Basically, the harder it is to see how badly they're screwing you, the worse you can expect it to be. Pretty easy to spot bad value in a two horse race, though, so 8% is expected.
    I don’t think that’s right though - the field is bigger so the profit is greater for the bookie but the individual is paying less

Assuming punters bet in equal numbers on each horse

With 2 horses, there is one loser so with 80 punters there are 40 to pay the bookies margin

With 8 horses there are 7 losers, so with 80 punters there are 70 to pay the bookies margin.

If the overround is 15% on the larger race the individual losing punter is paying 1/70*0.15 = 0.002 vs 1/40*.08 = 0.002
    Excellent point.
    For a full analysis, you'd need to know whether there is a systemic bias on the longer or shorter odds, or whether it's spread evenly across all prices. My hunch is that favourite prices tend to be fairer and the longer odds are way too short, but I don't have any inside information on that.
    I don’t think long odds are set based on probabilities. At some level they are a marketing tool.

Let’s say there is a 3% chance of a horse winning. The “fair” price is 33-1. A bookie may price at 50-1 to attract more business (and hopefully both losers on that horse plus they will bet at the same time on other horses).

At that point it’s a theoretical loss leader with the price set by the risk of the book rather than the probability of the horse winning.

In contrast if they price at 25-1 in the absence of any better information they will take fewer bets and make less money but at a lower risk
    I believe the tech term for the "fair" (reflecting actual probability) price is tissue price.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

That's no different from flying. Microsoft used to happily pay £1000 to get me to Helsinki or Vienna if they needed me to be there the following day - clients were therefore incentivised to ensure they scheduled things in advance so the flights came in at £300 or so.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

The people with the cheap tickets committed weeks ago to a particular plane or train, those booking late or needing flexibility pay more for those services.
    Yeah I know how it works, and I don't like it, that's why I want it changed. It isn't hard to grasp.

I want an increased state subsidy to encourage ad-hoc use of the railways.
  • Options

RobD said:

Then you are being hideously ridiculous. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

In London I pay £1.50
    To go 200 miles?
    17.3 miles can do £1.55, so a walk up ticket should be at most £17.90 but it's going to be over £100 I would expect
  • Options
    edited December 2021

It's weird we're anti subsidy for trains but pro subsidy for railways, nobody is calling for them to be privatised

The ultimate condemnation of privatisation is that the subsidy now is significantly greater (in real terms) than the net loss when it was publicly owned.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

That's no different from flying. Microsoft used to happily pay £1000 to get me to Helsinki or Vienna if they needed me to be there the following day - clients were therefore incentivised to ensure they scheduled things in advance so the flights came in at £300 or so.
    Yes, but in my view, the railways are worth subsidising to allow flexibility, whereas flying isn't. Other views may vary.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Over 200k cases in France …
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Then we have a fundamental disagreement about the role of the train I am afraid. I don't think it similar to a plane.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

It depends on the train service - for long distance people do book days in advance most of the time.

For shorter commuter type journeys its more likely to be turn up, pay and go - it's a different market but one that IRP so comprehensively destroys outside of commuting into London there is little point caring about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    MattW said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

That made me blink.

Where else is a dog going to go - perhaps in the luggage rack or on the roof?
    The point was simply that you pay half a fare for the dog yet don’t get anything in return for it. Whereas a child travels at a discount (often the very same half fare) but still fills a whole seat.

The UK allowing dogs to travel free is by far the best arrangement.

The Netherlands comes second, with a nominal €3 charge for a dog ticket.

Most of Europe charges half the second class fare, for absolutely nothing other than a space on what would otherwise have been an empty floor.

France comes almost last for not even allowing dogs on many of its high speed services.

Eurostar comes bottom for not allowing dogs at all; one of the very few rail routes in Europe where you can’t travel with a dog. Generating a lot of revenue for Stena Line to Holland and that taxi company in Folkestone.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The ultimate condemnation of privatisation is that the subsidy now is significantly greater (in real terms) than the net loss when it was publicly owner.
    And yet the actual performance is about the same, we just pay the Germans and French to rent trains that the taxpayer paid to build.
  • Options

Over 200k cases in France …

I blame les rosbifs...
  • Options
    Nobody want to talk about the absurd leasing companies for the trains?
  • Options
    For example, if I booked a train from Newcastle to London and for whatever reason missed my train, I don't want to have to pay double what I originally paid for a new ticket for the next train.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Fair enough.

I want safest, fastest, cheapest. What do you mean, I can't have all three? Ask NASA, you say?
  • Options
    eek said:

It depends on the train service - for long distance people do book days in advance most of the time.

For shorter commuter type journeys its more likely to be turn up, pay and go - it's a different market but one that IRP so comprehensively destroys outside of commuting into London there is little point caring about it.
    Commuters get a rotten deal, that needs solving
  • Options

For example, if I booked a train from Newcastle to London and for whatever reason missed my train, I don't want to have to pay double what I originally paid for a new ticket for the next train.

Don't worry, the train will be late anyway
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

In London I pay £1.50
    Yeah, that shows why London's transport is massively in debt , and some Londoners want the rest of us to bail them out ... ;)
  • Options
    I personally think the fairs model for London is what we should have elsewhere, about £0.09 per mile
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

In London I pay £1.50
    Yeah, that shows why London's transport is massively in debt , and some Londoners want the rest of us to bail them out ... ;)
    I don't think the point of a transport network is to make money.

You never seemed to complain about TfL's debt when Johnson was running it. Khan was on track to run a surplus prior to COVID
  • Options

eek said:

Commuters get a rotten deal, that needs solving
    Commute services are incredibly loss generating except in some very interesting circumstances.

Intercity rail done correctly is profitable, few other parts of the railway are (except freight).
  • Options
    Trains don't make money. They never can, they never will.

Once you accept that, it's about how we best spend the money. And that cannot be on paying German or French Government to do it and paying £Millions to train leasing companies to lease us trains we paid to build
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Once did Brum to Middlesboro' for about that. Best bus trip ever.
    Well, if I took the bus to Middlesboro, I'd also look back fondly on the ride.
    Pretty much from the moment of arriving.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

That’s pretty much exactly how my parents use the train.

They’ll book off-peak services at least a fortnight in advance, usually in First, for half the price of turn-up standard class, and guarantee themselves a pair of seats. Their alternative, with standard rail pricing, would be to drive instead.

There’s actually several different markets served by trains - ad-hoc business, commuting, local leisure and flexible long-distance leisure. The train companies try to differentiate the groups as much as possible with pricing, to maximise overall revenues.
  • Options

You can do that you buy the Super Off Peak ticket rather than the cheaper fixed ticket and reserve a seat.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Once you accept that, it's about how we best spend the money. And that cannot be on paying German or French Government to do it and paying £Millions to train leasing companies to lease us trains we paid to build

They can never make money? Tell that to the German or French government. ;)
  • Options
    TimT said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Fair enough.

I want safest, fastest, cheapest. What do you mean, I can't have all three? Ask NASA, you say?
    cheap is not the same as cheapest, etc.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Spain seemed quite random. Tickets on the long distance high speed services were quite expensive, although I got a cheap deal on Granada-Cordoba on an intercity. For other journeys I used the regional trains as they were cheaper and not much slower, and I was on holiday so didn't care too much. Often there are one or two cheap services a day, but at inconvenient times (such as early in the morning) I guess they are less popular so the cheap seats last longer. However I was most struck by the rather random nature of the network with mostly poor connections. I ended up doing Malaga-Granada by express coach for that very reason.
  • Options

If you go on Transport Tycoon and plan your routes sensibly, you can make millions.
  • Options
    eek said:

You can do that you buy the Super Off Peak ticket rather than the cheaper fixed ticket and reserve a seat.
    Exactly
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If you go on Transport Tycoon and plan your routes sensibly, you can make millions.
    Don't tempt me. A great game.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

An acquaintance was working in northern Germany. The company he worked for decided they needed him ASAP in southern Germany to deal with an emergency. The head office (in the US) got him a chauffeur-driven limo, as the company guaranteed they would get him to the site in time, and would not get paid if they did not make it. The limo was arriving at the site as they were telling him he needed to go.

He got a very, very fast trip in luxury, with a driver who was (ahem) willing to take risks. The journey back was rather less speedy by train. He did the entire thing without ID (aside from his work pass) as he'd left everything in his jacket at Site A.

He says the company was also looking at getting a helicopter, but it was difficult organising it in time.

It was the sort of job where if the plant went down, it would cost hundreds of thousands per hour. Hence it's worth spending virtually any amount to get experts onto site to avoid unplanned shutdowns.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

eek said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Yes, but in my view, the railways are worth subsidising to allow flexibility, whereas flying isn't. Other views may vary.
    You do know that back in 1990 a return Journey to and from London was about £70 return (used to do it weekly while at Newcastle University and working in London, much to the annoyance of some of the lecturers in the department, who couldn't grasp why I wasn't at Tuesday / Wednesday lectures).

It's only £152 now and it can be a lot cheaper if you exchange flexibility for a fixed time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

cities : skylines for me is the best of those games. I believe a sequel is coming soon.
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

cities : skylines for me is the best of those games. I believe a sequel is coming soon.
    Yeah, after the disappointment that was the latest sim city.
  • Options
    Cases being so high worry me, chance of mutation
  • Options

eek said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

An acquaintance was working in northern Germany. The company he worked for decided they needed him ASAP in southern Germany to deal with an emergency. The head office (in the US) got him a chauffeur-driven limo, as the company guaranteed they would get him to the site in time, and would not get paid if they did not make it. The limo was arriving at the site as they were telling him he needed to go.

He got a very, very fast trip in luxury, with a driver who was (ahem) willing to take risks. The journey back was rather less speedy by train. He did the entire thing without ID (aside from his work pass) as he'd left everything in his jacket at Site A.

He says the company was also looking at getting a helicopter, but it was difficult organising it in time.

It was the sort of job where if the plant went down, it would cost hundreds of thousands per hour. Hence it's worth spending virtually any amount to get experts onto site to avoid unplanned shutdowns.
    Yep, sometimes you really *need* to travel, and the cost is irrelevant.

Or, as Michael O’Leary put it, in the way he does best: “Our best customers, are going to a funeral”
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

You do know that back in 1990 a return Journey to and from London was about £70 return (used to do it weekly while at Newcastle University and working in London, much to the annoyance of some in my department).

It's only £152 now and it can be a lot cheaper if you exchange flexibility for a fixed time.
    So your point is basically: it used to be more expensive, so stop complaining?

All I'm saying is that I'd personally use the railways much more if I could simply rock up and buy a ticket at a known, cheap, price. Otherwise I just drive inter-city like I do now because the fuel price is known and it doesn't matter if I'm late.
  • Options

If they don't make money why are the companies involved doing it? Charity?

They certainly won't make money if they're answering to political concerns instead of a market though.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,993
    edited December 2021

What you want is the best service for that money. And sadly compared with what went before the privatised railways are magnitudes better. They transport far more people, far more safely and in far greater comfort than BR ever did. The period of nationalisation of rail in Britain was the absolute low point in terms of safety and comfort and also in terms of investment. It is no coincidence that the Beeching cuts occurred during the period of nationalisation, reversing the advances that had been made over the previous century by the private rail companies.
  • Options

What you want is the best service for that money. And sadly compared with what went before the privatised railways are magnitudes better. They transport far more people, far more safely and in far greater comfort than BR ever did. The period of nationalisation of rail in Britain post 1947 was the absolute low point in terms of safety and comfort and also in terms of investment. It is no coincidence that the Beeching cuts occurred during the period of nationalisation, reversing the advances that had been made over the previous century by the private rail companies.
    The infrastructure and the rolling stock is nationalised, isn't it?
  • Options

Yeah, but 40x 5% = 2 so [whatever conclusion you like].
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Farooq said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Fair enough.

cheap is not the same as cheapest, etc.
    Fast, cheap and safe are all still relative terms, and it is not possible, using those relative terms coherently, to be fast, cheap and safe when viewing all the options for speed, cost and safety.

It is possible to have any combination of two, but not all three.

To put it another way:
    - safety costs both money and speed
    - speed costs both money and safety
    - value costs both safety and speed
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

You do know that back in 1990 a return Journey to and from London was about £70 return (used to do it weekly while at Newcastle University and working in London, much to the annoyance of some in my department).

All I'm saying is that I'd personally use the railways much more if I could simply rock up and buy a ticket at a known, cheap, price. Otherwise I just drive inter-city like I do now because the fuel price is known and it doesn't matter if I'm late.
    Of course you'd use them more if you could do that. And if there were an abundance of empty seats I'm sure the price would fall to entice you to do just that.

But why should those who need to use the trains on a daily basis be subject to a higher minimum price, so you can have the certainty of a lower maximum one?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917

Is there anything that doesn't worry you?

Whacamole
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

Of course you'd use them more if you could do that. And if there were an abundance of empty seats I'm sure the price would fall to entice you to do just that.

But why should those who need to use the trains on a daily basis be subject to a higher minimum price, so you can have the certainty of a lower maximum one?
    I don't think there should be a higher minimum price, as I keep saying.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,202

What you want is the best service for that money. And sadly compared with what went before the privatised railways are magnitudes better. They transport far more people, far more safely and in far greater comfort than BR ever did. The period of nationalisation of rail in Britain post 1947 was the absolute low point in terms of safety and comfort and also in terms of investment. It is no coincidence that the Beeching cuts occurred during the period of nationalisation, reversing the advances that had been made over the previous century by the private rail companies.
    The infrastructure and the rolling stock is nationalised, isn't it?
    Infrastructure yes, rolling stock no.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

What are you thinking of mutating into? :)
  • Options
    edited December 2021

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

No my point is that

1) flexible train tickets are not as expensive as they used to be
    2) the introduction of fixed tickets has allowed them to be even cheaper than that if you are willing / able to trade flexibility in return for saving some money.

Your problem is that you don't regard £150 as a cheap enough price for a train journey to and from London. And you are probably right there but the ECML is running at capacity so the prices are set to ration demand because without HS2E nothing is going to solve the issue and allow prices to become lower.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Is there anything that doesn't worry you?

Whacamole
    I have mental health issues
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Just like water.

Really?

No my point is that

1) flexible train tickets are not as expensive as they used to be
    2) the introduction of fixed tickets has allowed them to be even cheaper than that if you are willing / able to trade flexibility in return for saving some money.
    Which is fair, but, in my opinion, the price of the fixed tickets is the price the flexible tickets should be.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

By what mechanism?
  • Options

If they don't make money why are the companies involved doing it? Charity?

They certainly won't make money if they're answering to political concerns instead of a market though.
    Because the taxpayer guarantees them a profit. Have you seen the new Great British Railways procedure?
This discussion has been closed.