Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

CON ahead in the betting on the eve of North Shropshire – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Philip is the only Johnson fan left

Not true - I'd count myself as a supporter, despite also thinking he's been entirely useless for months. I'd currently not employ his corpse as a doorstop.

However.. if he can be arsed to get out of bed one morning then he's still a capable poitician.
    I'm intrigued. Whose corpse would you employ as a doorstop?
    Big money in that you know. Ecorpsefordoorstops.com does a roaring trade. Mummy's are the top sellers (as they last) and most subject to fakery too.
    You use your Mummy as a doorstop? Blimey. I would say that isn't very Pharoah'n her.
    I sphinx ahead.
    Really? she must be needled.
    I think you need to Cleopatra up that last post.
    That didn't work. I'm claiming game and Seti.
    Ra ra ra!
    Surely Ra ra Raducanu?
  • Options

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    Boris Johnson says Christmas parties can go ahead - despite what Chris Whitty said about prioritising social interactions - but people should "think carefully".

"We're not cancelling events, we're not closing hospitality, we're not cancelling parties or people's ability to mix".
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Omicron is 8x more transmissible than Delta according to HSA. Delta was 1.9x more transmissible than original.

That early guesstimate from academic in SA that talked about 16x is now what HSA are basically saying.

I remember when, a whole fortnight ago, people thought that cliff face rise might be partly due to some anomalies with the early data. But it really is absurdly transmissible.

It's no longer a case of "we're all getting covid in the long run", now we are getting it for Christmas.
  • Options

John Burn-Murdoch
    @jburnmurdoch
    NEW: here’s a chart showing daily cases by specimen date in London, broken down by variant.

This is what is coming to ~every country across the world in the coming weeks.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1471193909007106050

In case anyone hasn't seen the graph, and the red dot..

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited December 2021
    Also interesting that Omicron is outcompeting Delta in London, quite significantly too and it doesn't look like it's going to stack on top for any significant amount of time. Delta might be extinct in the UK this time next week. I can't say I'm going to miss it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    This thread has

suffered a backbench rebellion

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    dixiedean said:

Have raised this point before. No one gave an answer.
    Given how infectious omicron is, is it wise to encourage folk to gather in massive queues for several hours all across the country?

It’s a trade off. Speed of getting boosters in arms vs the risk you highlight
  • Options

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

78,610 cases......I presume 100k will be breeched by end of the week.

The usual suspects will be ramping up the pressure to cancel Christmas.

Well, what do you think?

No further restrictions needed? Everything going fine?
    What would you do? You have been asked this repeatedly but if you have answered I must have missed it.

Tell us what restrictions you favour.
    As I said and you were apparently unable to understand (or perhaps read), whatever it takes to try to prevent the NHS collapsing and people dying without medical care.

Are you saying that we shouldn't try to prevent the NHS collapsing? By implication that seems to be the opinion of many here.
    OK we're getting there. So no one is allowed to die of Covid. Is that what you're after? How would you achieve that.
    The tortuous way this troll avoids a) saying what he would do and/or b) putting his money where his very big sanctimonious mouth is is truly breathtaking.
    Is @Chris a troll? The vast majority of the public would agree with him and disagree with you? ;)
    Agree with what? It's impossible to get him to explain his position.
    Frankly, the fact that you people keep saying that is simply an admission of your fundamental dishonesty.

How can I make it any clearer? WE MUST DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO PREVENT THE NHS COLLAPSING AND BEING UNABLE TO GIVE PEOPLE MEDICAL CARE

It's a simple, fundamental political choice. If people disagree, they should have the honesty to say so. The fact that they have so much difficulty in doing so speaks volumes.
    But you still haven't outlined any specific measures, just a generalised bit it rhetoric. What specific measures are we talking about here? Lockdown? Economic shutdown? For how long? How do we keep shelves stocked? Will the government send around the ration van? What are you specifically saying needs to be done?
    Oh, for God's sake I don't believe you're really such a fool that you can't understand plain English.

Don't waste my time.
    To prevent more time wasting, assume that all are in DISAGREE.

I've waited 18 months for NHS care. Annoying, but a balance had to be struck across financial resources and the life of the country outside of healthcare.

Much has been made of mental health, for example. There is no health-cost free option during a pandemic.
    Interestingly, suicides fell quite substantially last year.
    I noticed that. Its weirdly counter intuitive.
    It makes some sense. E.g. fewer opportunities during lockdown due to other people being around.
    But we are all supposed to be isolated, depressed, missing human company, drinking far too much at home, falling out with our spouses having seen more of them than we can cope with, suffered financial anxiety, not been getting prompt medical attention for anything other than Covid etc etc etc.

It shows the danger of just assuming or using common sense. I have heard the dangers to mental health, for example, mentioned countless times on the media and elsewhere. Its just not showing up in the figures.
    One of my trustees committed suicide 10 days ago David. 47, with a lovely wife and a 12 year old girl. Everything to go for, but he’d lost his job and didn’t see a path forward with covid intensifying
    I lost a friend recently, came completely out of the blue. No idea what happened, his wife just let us know he'd passed "suddenly". Didn't think he was sick or anything, it makes me wonder if that was it for him too. I didn't want to press his wife on what had happened and she didn't volunteer more information. 😢

The damage this is doing to people is catastrophic and nobody much seem to want to talk about it.
    I’m sorry to hear that Philip
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Not true - I'd count myself as a supporter, despite also thinking he's been entirely useless for months. I'd currently not employ his corpse as a doorstop.

However.. if he can be arsed to get out of bed one morning then he's still a capable poitician.
    Big money in that you know. Ecorpsefordoorstops.com does a roaring trade. Mummy's are the top sellers (as they last) and most subject to fakery too.
    There is an American friend of mine who seriously tried to source a mummy on the black market so he could source a Victorian-style mummy unwrapping party 😂

Apparently there is a specific piece of US legislation that bans the purchase of mummies…

(He was inspired because I had borrowed a mummy from a museum in Mansfield and he happened to be around when it was shipped to my place in London)
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

You use your Mummy as a doorstop? Blimey. I would say that isn't very Pharoah'n her.
    I sphinx ahead.
    That’s asp-ing a lot
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited December 2021
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

I sphinx ahead.
    That’s asp-ing a lot
    Nothing wrong with a little asp-iration
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    I Ptolemy didn’t have a clue in this thread
  • Options
    Nobody:

Not a soul:

Mike Smithson: Did I tell you about the time I bet on the Chesham and Amersham by-election?
This discussion has been closed.