Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Where the Slippery Slope Leads – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399

TimS said:

Wes Streeting who is only 38 looks like a future leader and PM

Wes's handicap is that he's audibly from London. And being from London seems to be toxic in political leaders at the moment. That Londoners don't count and are out of touch with "real people" seems to be the one thing everyone on in the country outside the capital can safely unite on. No doubt the Tories would go one further and claim he's from Islington.
    Yes, you see that sort of moronic prejudice on PB. @SandyRentool is a prime example of it.
    Good morning!

It is all about the optics. The perception that politicians in the north London bubble, shopping at Waitrose and attending dinner parties, are totally out of touch with the residents of an estate* in County Durham and prioritise issues that mean nothing to voters in the real world.

*Housing estate, not country estate.
    You do realise that Wes Streeting was brought up in a council estate in Stepney? If you actually visited London and spent some time here, your pathetic prejudice might ease somewhat.
    I wasn't being specific about Wes. He seems to be a great asset to the Labour front bench.

And I did live in London for 4 years.

I just want a Labour Party that can reconnect with the voters we lost in 2019, and indeed over previous electoral cycles, in working class communities across the country. Having prominent figures with a range of accents, representing seats from across the country, is all part of doing this.
    Plenty of Labour frontbenchers from up north. Those on PB speak in hushed tones about Angela and Bridget.
    Wes is certainly a great asset.

However the senior leadership of the NUS since has been more Zara Sultana.

We won't be seeing many more Weses.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Stocky said:

GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

I see weirdo and bully John Bercow was on GMB sticking the boot in to Boris this morning... If people like Bercow start appearing regularly to stick the boot in that could give Boris a bit of a repreieve with a lot of Con 2019 voters.

If it all starts looking like an orchestrated attack by the Forces Of Remainistan a lot of Con 2019 voters will hold their nose and start to rally round...

It seems remarkable that the day after tomorrow is only the 2nd anniversary of the last election.

So there's quite a lot of time left, assuming BJ is dumped PDQ.

And yes, we still need a Parliamentary into John Bercow, his alleged bullying activities, and his definite abuse-of-position covering up activities.
    I think the Tories will give Boris another 6-12 months (and Boris won't want to go before be's beaten Theresa May's tenure of 3 years 11 days lol)

I doubt Sunak, Truss, etc would want to take over while Covid is blowing up.

What may happen is something like Blair in 2006 where Boris is forced to give an undertaking that he's not going to fight the next election and then a transition takes place next summer/autumn. I think something like that is more likely here than a brutal Thatcher/May type end for Johnson.
    Any chance Johnson might roll the dice and go for a snap GE in 2022?
    I wouldn't think so, as he would still need to get round FTPA in 2022, which would mean getting his MPs for vote for the election (which they'd be unlikely to do if they wanted to get rid of him lol)
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229

kamski said:

One for RCS100, just because I know he likes to compare Bremen's vaccination rate with the lowest rates in Germany.

Bremen officially has just 2.5% adults (18+) unvaccinated.
    Surrounding Lower Saxony has 14.9% adults unvaccinated.

I'm just not buying it. There isn't that much difference between tiny Bremen and surrounding Lower Saxony. Bremen is more urban, and has more immigrants. Maybe they made more effort to reach people to get them vaccinated, but not enough to make that big a difference.

Then look at the numbers for 12-17 year olds. Bremen has vaccinated 57.7% and Lower Saxony 62.4%. It doesn't make any sense that Bremen would have quite a lot more adults vaccinated and yet fewer teenagers vaccinated.

Then look at the incidence rates, death rates and hospitalisation rates. All a bit worse in Bremen than in surrounding Lower Saxony. If there were really 6 times as many unvaccinated adults per capita in Lower Saxony you would expect to see it show up at some point in these stats.

Bremen's 97.5% adults with at least one shot isn't right. The real figure is no doubt much closer to Lower Saxony's.

source:
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Daten/Impfquoten-Tab.html

Are you suggesting they're fiddling the numbers?
    Do they know how many people are in Bremen or the surrounding areas?

In London the population will have changed by several hundreds and thousands, if not millions both up and down over the last 2 years. That alone is going to give perhaps 5-10% error rates changing over time if they used the start of 2020 population numbers and I am not sure the official data will have kept good track of the numbers since then.
    I suspect it's simply some people who live in the surrounding Lower Saxony got vaccinated in Bremen, and those were added to Bremen's vaccinated numbers.

The population numbers will be the numbers registered as resident in each state, which should be relatively up-to-date. Definitely frowned upon to move (unless only temporarily) without registering. Plus I don't know of any reason why Bremen's population should have significantly fallen.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

algarkirk said:

Thanks Cyclefree for another superb piece. I always read them even if I do not always comment.

May I ask the PB Brains Trust for clarification in respect of two related questions?

First, Mrs PtP was born in the UK of Canadian parents. The family moved back to Canada when she was eight and she was educated there until she was sixteen. Thereafter she resided at various times in the USA and France, but mostly in the UK where she now lives with me. (Lucky girl, eh?) She has dual citizenship, Canada/UK - and a passport from both countries. Is she affected by this damn legislation?

Secondly, Brexit caused me to encourage both my children to avail themselves of the Irish passport to which they are entitled by virtue of their grandmother's country of origin. Again, could they now be deprived of UK citizenship?

I know it is vanishly unlikely that any of these would be victimised by the Home Office but the mere fact that in theory they could is a sorry indictment of where our politicians (both sides of the House) have led us.

I thank you all in advance for your assistance.

if Cyclefree is correct, and that the government could possibly render people stateless then the people under most threat are those like me and millions of others who have no state rights outside the UK whatever. But, while I don't like the legislation, I think Cyclefree is exaggerating.

I think we need to bear in mind that there is not much evidence that holders of Canadian, UK and Irish passports will be deprived of the UK one unless they engage in acts which amount to treason. (And all cases will continue to be subject to the right of appeal, including the SC.) If there is, PBers have singularly failed to find it.

Yes, it is a slippery slope. Like, say the slippery slope whereby government could increase income tax to 120% on all income, or petrol to £1000 a litre to take effect immediately without a commons vote.

There is no harm in the principle that citizenship confers duties as well as rights.

Thanks Algakirk, and all those who answered my questions.

I certainly agree with your last sentence, and so would Mrs PtP who has made the same point to me many times.

I will pass on the replies to her. Perhaps she is touchier on the subject than most because she is half Jewish and the abuse of citizenship legislation resonates with her as a consequence.

Although I take your point(s), I am more troubled by the very real possibility of abuse of citiznship laws than the imposition of absurd rates of taxation, which would be impractical as well as daft.
    The problem with trying to be relaxed about the legislation is what the powers allow and what they mean. Citizenship ceases to be a right and becomes a favour. Whether or not our citizenship continues is entirely at the whim of the system. Even if a malevolent lunatic like Priti Vacant isn't personally removing your citizenship, the system has the ability to do so.

We had this same bullshit with windrush. Examples of British citizens being marooned abroad with no rights and no appeal against a faceless "computer says no" system which has decided they no longer exist. Until one day there is a "whoops lets check this" from the Home Office and ah there you are, sorry we have left you homeless in Ghana for 2 years and destroyed your relationship with your children who think you have abandonded them.

The legislation is *wrong*. We're back to basic morality again.
    Except you're full of crap.

Citizenship doesn't cease to be anything. The system doesn't gain powers. The system ALREADY HAS those powers and you voted for the party that gave those powers to the system when Blair did it.

I agree it's a basic morality question and it's one that's been flunked from Blair onwards. But you keep blaming "Priti Vacant" for it all you like.
    You might ask yourself why she is seeking to make those powers so much easier to exercise.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

I see weirdo and bully John Bercow was on GMB sticking the boot in to Boris this morning... If people like Bercow start appearing regularly to stick the boot in that could give Boris a bit of a repreieve with a lot of Con 2019 voters.

If it all starts looking like an orchestrated attack by the Forces Of Remainistan a lot of Con 2019 voters will hold their nose and start to rally round...

It seems remarkable that the day after tomorrow is only the 2nd anniversary of the last election.

And yes, we still need a Parliamentary into John Bercow, his alleged bullying activities, and his definite abuse-of-position covering up activities.
    I think the Tories will give Boris another 6-12 months (and Boris won't want to go before be's beaten Theresa May's tenure of 3 years 11 days lol)

What may happen is something like Blair in 2006 where Boris is forced to give an undertaking that he's not going to fight the next election and then a transition takes place next summer/autumn. I think something like that is more likely here than a brutal Thatcher/May type end for Johnson.
    They might want to leave it until this wave of Covid is past. They might not have much choice if political bombs keep going off.

Anyway, reading back over the morning media round, they are definitely to redefine the word "party". Because everyone knows they had parties plural. And they know the lies won't hold. So what is a party, or a "gathering" as one of them is trying for?

Here's a guide for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnyH0H481Zk
  • Options

Mr. B, cheers. Buggered up the last one, though. Should've listened to my doubts about AlphaTauri.

At the sharp end, I still think Hamilton's a clear favourite but there may be more value elsewhere.

I refer you to my earlier Hamilton arbitrage (not quite so good value today as the prices have moved).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

"Waitrose" is merely shorthand description for a well off, comfortably-living, hand-wringing, virtue-signalling Labour luvvie, who wibbles on about the latest right-on cause and is completely out of touch and clueless when it comes to the bread and butter issues that matter to the average voter.

Full disclosure: We sometimes shop at Waitrose. But I ain't no luvvie.

So the term has supplanted the more traditional 'Guardian Reader' then? I suppose nobody reads papers any more.

Do you, Sandy? (Viz doesn't count.)
    No, I do not 'take' a newspaper.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Problem for Truss might be the woke, liberal (checks notes) Daily Express...

UK trade has shrunk since Brexit while EU thrives - data
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1534017/UK-trade-data-post-Brexit-GDP-EU-evg https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1469049940773158918/photo/1

I can't find this on the BoE website. Can anyone help me out?
  • Options
    Also there's lots of pictures of the parties which will inevitably get out. And invite lists beyond No10, to other departments...

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1469270057700241416
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Thanks Cyclefree for another superb piece. I always read them even if I do not always comment.

May I ask the PB Brains Trust for clarification in respect of two related questions?

First, Mrs PtP was born in the UK of Canadian parents. The family moved back to Canada when she was eight and she was educated there until she was sixteen. Thereafter she resided at various times in the USA and France, but mostly in the UK where she now lives with me. (Lucky girl, eh?) She has dual citizenship, Canada/UK - and a passport from both countries. Is she affected by this damn legislation?

Secondly, Brexit caused me to encourage both my children to avail themselves of the Irish passport to which they are entitled by virtue of their grandmother's country of origin. Again, could they now be deprived of UK citizenship?

I know it is vanishly unlikely that any of these would be victimised by the Home Office but the mere fact that in theory they could is a sorry indictment of where our politicians (both sides of the House) have led us.

if Cyclefree is correct, and that the government could possibly render people stateless then the people under most threat are those like me and millions of others who have no state rights outside the UK whatever. But, while I don't like the legislation, I think Cyclefree is exaggerating.

I think we need to bear in mind that there is not much evidence that holders of Canadian, UK and Irish passports will be deprived of the UK one unless they engage in acts which amount to treason. (And all cases will continue to be subject to the right of appeal, including the SC.) If there is, PBers have singularly failed to find it.

Yes, it is a slippery slope. Like, say the slippery slope whereby government could increase income tax to 120% on all income, or petrol to £1000 a litre to take effect immediately without a commons vote.

There is no harm in the principle that citizenship confers duties as well as rights.

I certainly agree with your last sentence, and so would Mrs PtP who has made the same point to me many times.

I will pass on the replies to her. Perhaps she is touchier on the subject than most because she is half Jewish and the abuse of citizenship legislation resonates with her as a consequence.

Although I take your point(s), I am more troubled by the very real possibility of abuse of citiznship laws than the imposition of absurd rates of taxation, which would be impractical as well as daft.
    The problem with trying to be relaxed about the legislation is what the powers allow and what they mean. Citizenship ceases to be a right and becomes a favour. Whether or not our citizenship continues is entirely at the whim of the system. Even if a malevolent lunatic like Priti Vacant isn't personally removing your citizenship, the system has the ability to do so.

We had this same bullshit with windrush. Examples of British citizens being marooned abroad with no rights and no appeal against a faceless "computer says no" system which has decided they no longer exist. Until one day there is a "whoops lets check this" from the Home Office and ah there you are, sorry we have left you homeless in Ghana for 2 years and destroyed your relationship with your children who think you have abandonded them.

Citizenship doesn't cease to be anything. The system doesn't gain powers. The system ALREADY HAS those powers and you voted for the party that gave those powers to the system when Blair did it.

I agree it's a basic morality question and it's one that's been flunked from Blair onwards. But you keep blaming "Priti Vacant" for it all you like.
    So glad I spoke out to appeal for your safe return.

If what you were saying was true then there would not be any such new powers being raised in the nationality and borders bill. Put the boot into Blair all you like - he's 15 years into the past. This is about this government, this home secretary and the new powers in this bill.
  • Options
    Of course the real horror of Boris Johnson having to take the Chiltern Hundreds is that Dominic Brains Raab would become acting Prime Minister...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    AlistairM said:

UK students pay 60% more for halls of residence than decade ago

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/dec/10/uk-students-pay-60-more-for-halls-of-residence-than-decade-ago

I have raised this a number of times before, it has been the silent rip-off lost among the headlines of £9k fees. And in many respects it is far worse, as it is a clear rip-off, as a mortgage payments on a house would be less in many cases.

I would think if the Lib Dems want to regain some of the student vote, a sensible policy on this might well prove popular.

I think also student's expectations are much higher now than they used to be. When I was a student in the 90s I had a sink in my hall room but had to walk down a long corridor to have a shower in an area that was always freezing cold in the winter. Furnishings were basic - single bed, wardrobe, desk and chair. I think almost all accommodation is ensuite now isn't it? Having said that, I think many Universities have seen this as a great way to top up their funding.
    Yes.

Students want contemporary accommodation that is like a home, and they and their parents are willing to pay for it and can afford it. But requirements have to be understood.

Three years ago my letting agent said that if we moved our small no of student houses from "Ikea" style to "Hipster" with a bit of Designer input, he could get a 25% rent increase the next year. He proved himself right, despite our houses being a couple in a row of identical terraces, and ones that the Uni rejected after 20 years of a long lease as they were "not ensuite".

All of the 400 bed spaces rejected by the Uni then were refurbed to a higher standard, relet privately at a lower rent as the Uni had been screwing students for 15 years, and the Uni ended up giving £500 cashbacks to get students into their shiny new properties with free gyms and so on.

The recommendation this year is for a further 20% rent increase to follow market levels.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1534017/UK-trade-data-post-Brexit-GDP-EU-evg https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1469049940773158918/photo/1

Definitely on manoeuvres.
    Recording 'Talking Politics' with Toenails casually mentioned that, on the party night in question, "I and my staff were working on getting trade deals through" etc.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Scott_xP said:
    I didn't know about a Party in my house cos of its sheer vastness will play well, won't it?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Wes's handicap is that he's audibly from London. And being from London seems to be toxic in political leaders at the moment. That Londoners don't count and are out of touch with "real people" seems to be the one thing everyone on in the country outside the capital can safely unite on. No doubt the Tories would go one further and claim he's from Islington.
    Yes, you see that sort of moronic prejudice on PB. @SandyRentool is a prime example of it.
    Good morning!

It is all about the optics. The perception that politicians in the north London bubble, shopping at Waitrose and attending dinner parties, are totally out of touch with the residents of an estate* in County Durham and prioritise issues that mean nothing to voters in the real world.

Ah, Waitrose, we have precious few of them in the North East and none in Durham
    Is Hexham in Durham?
    Gallowgate will be getting upset. Hexham is the jewel in the crown that is Northumberland. and it has a Waitrose. Apart from that affectation it's great. Luckily for actual people Lidl open up in 2022.

Scored very highly indeed in some recent survey of "best places in the UK to live", AIR?
    Yep.
    If you are over 70 and loaded.
    Not if you want anything to do. Or be out past 5 pm. Or be employed. Or have kids who want an education or to be entertained within 20 miles of your home. Or don't have a car. I could continue...
    Not much change since the Romans left, then.
    Not really, no. Still no dual carriageway north towards Hadrian's wall.
    M6/M74?

A1?

The A1 is not dualled much north of Hexham to the border. South to Newcastle is fine but not north. Its absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    kjh said:

"Waitrose" is merely shorthand description for a well off, comfortably-living, hand-wringing, virtue-signalling Labour luvvie, who wibbles on about the latest right-on cause and is completely out of touch and clueless when it comes to the bread and butter issues that matter to the average voter.

Sainsbury's is there to keep the riff raff out of Waitrose (Stephen Fry)
    It was fearless Alan Coren. Hand-wringing Stephen Fry would never say anything so disobliging about his audience.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes because that 'smooth and orderly' transition to Brown worked so well for Labour in 2010 didn't it? A brief poll bounce then downhill all the way to defeat
    The problem was though that Brown wasn't cut out to be a PM. That wouldn't necessarily apply to the Tory selection to replace Boris.

I'm sure you guys can come up with something better, can't you?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Our team Christmas drinks have just been cancelled. Boo!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Everyone is getting Omicron whether they like it or not, and then due to the inevitable very large number of cases worldwide there must be a decent chance of a new even nastier variant in 2022.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

algarkirk said:

So glad I spoke out to appeal for your safe return.

If what you were saying was true then there would not be any such new powers being raised in the nationality and borders bill. Put the boot into Blair all you like - he's 15 years into the past. This is about this government, this home secretary and the new powers in this bill.
    It's about the Blair (and May) powers, too, but this gives it rather more urgency, since the new legislation is about to be passed.
    Defeat it, and there's an outside chance of winding them back a bit.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

What reason has been given? I'm curious.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes because that 'smooth and orderly' transition to Brown worked so well for Labour in 2010 didn't it? A brief poll bounce then downhill all the way to defeat
    Oh I didn't mean a "transition" to a chosen one like Blair > Brown. There will have to be a leadership contest as you've got several potential alternative leaders.

What I was really getting at is I'll be surprised if Boris's end is brutal like Thatcher and May. I see it being a more gradual end like Blair's was but we'll see. I could be completely wrong. You'd know the mood in the Tory Party better than me.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    glw said:

Everyone is getting Omicron whether they like it or not, and then due to the inevitable very large number of cases worldwide there must be a decent chance of a new even nastier variant in 2022.
    Yes, but we'll all have had Omicron by then which will boost our immune response to the next variant. COVID is going to pick off the old, vulnerable, sick and stupid for the next 2-3 years, I don't see how that is avoidable.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:
    I didn't know about a Party in my house cos of its sheer vastness will play well, won't it?
    And it is about as credible as the Barnard Castle eye test.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Both the vice chair AND the treasurer of 1922 committee have had outings this morning to knife the FLSOJ™. NB Ghani the vice chair also livid about doggie airlift.

Il est du pain grille.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

The problem was though that Brown wasn't cut out to be a PM. That wouldn't necessarily apply to the Tory selection to replace Boris.

We already have a leader who has won the biggest majority for our party since Thatcher.

There is noone in the current crop who will do any better after 11 years in power in my view.

Sunak and Javid might get a brief poll bounce but it would soon fall back and they would not have the appeal of Boris in the RedWall.

Truss, Patel, Raab etc would poll worse than Boris is now
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    glw said:

Any further variant would have to be more transmissable than Omicron to survive. I dont think that is likely.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

So the term has supplanted the more traditional 'Guardian Reader' then? I suppose nobody reads papers any more.

Do you, Sandy? (Viz doesn't count.)
    No, I do not 'take' a newspaper.
    You do bang on a lot about people who buy “good brie” and then proudly reported the other day you had just ordered some “cornish gouda”.

Hypocrisy is a terrible vice.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That article about "trade" does not have any actual trade figures in it :smile:
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Why is Sajid Javid not fancied in the next Tory leader market?

Currently Sunak is at ~3.4 and Truss at ~5 on Betfair, but Javid is at ~23.

This surprises me. Javid is personable, media-friendly, and vastly experienced. He does well enough in the ConHome members' survey, albeit nowhere near Truss levels, and pretty well in the YouGov rankings of the most popular Conservative politicians (5th place behind Sunak, Johnson, May and Davidson).

At these odds, Javid strikes me as worth a modest punt.
  • Options
    MattW said:

AlistairM said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/dec/10/uk-students-pay-60-more-for-halls-of-residence-than-decade-ago

I have raised this a number of times before, it has been the silent rip-off lost among the headlines of £9k fees. And in many respects it is far worse, as it is a clear rip-off, as a mortgage payments on a house would be less in many cases.

I would think if the Lib Dems want to regain some of the student vote, a sensible policy on this might well prove popular.

I think also student's expectations are much higher now than they used to be. When I was a student in the 90s I had a sink in my hall room but had to walk down a long corridor to have a shower in an area that was always freezing cold in the winter. Furnishings were basic - single bed, wardrobe, desk and chair. I think almost all accommodation is ensuite now isn't it? Having said that, I think many Universities have seen this as a great way to top up their funding.
    Yes.

Students want contemporary accommodation that is like a home, and they and their parents are willing to pay for it and can afford it. But requirements have to be understood.

Three years ago my letting agent said that if we moved our small no of student houses from "Ikea" style to "Hipster" with a bit of Designer input, he could get a 25% rent increase the next year. He proved himself right, despite our houses being a couple in a row of identical terraces, and ones that the Uni rejected after 20 years of a long lease as they were "not ensuite".

All of the 400 bed spaces rejected by the Uni then were refurbed to a higher standard, relet privately at a lower rent as the Uni had been screwing students for 15 years, and the Uni ended up giving £500 cashbacks to get students into their shiny new properties with free gyms and so on.

The recommendation this year is for a further 20% rent increase to follow market levels.
    What distinguishes “hipster” versus “IKEA” here?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

I hope they are more ruthless than that.

Boris has shat the bed and is currently smearing the shit over everyone in sight, including the reputation of the party.

Needs to be put out of his misery.
  • Options

This surprises me. Javid is personable, media-friendly, and vastly experienced. He does well enough in the ConHome members' survey, albeit nowhere near Truss levels, and pretty well in the YouGov rankings of the most popular Conservative politicians (5th place behind Sunak, Johnson, May and Davidson).

I think that he will end up Chancellor (again) when Rishi moves up. But he's doing well in health at the moment at a tricky time.
  • Options
    When Keir Starmer took over, Labour was 26 points behind. They are now 6 points ahead.

Whatever you say about Starmer, that is incredible work. What a turnaround for the Labour Party. I am proud I voted for him.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    They all had mild cases though. Simple message - get your 3 doses ASAP. Lots of people are going to get Omicron but we have to trust in the vaccines. Unfortunately those who have chosen not to be vaccinated may well have much worse outcomes but that was their choice.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

Oh I didn't mean a "transition" to a chosen one like Blair > Brown. There will have to be a leadership contest as you've got several potential alternative leaders.

What I was really getting at is I'll be surprised if Boris's end is brutal like Thatcher and May. I see it being a more gradual end like Blair's was but we'll see. I could be completely wrong. You'd know the mood in the Tory Party better than me.
    I thought your prediction was most reasonable to me. Boris will read the writing on the wall at some stage (impossible to predict when), and step down “of his own accord”.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

It is unfortunate that our largest trading partner's economy has not recovered as well as ours from Covid. Germany has had some particularly bad figures recently and exports of financial services to the US have overtaken those to the EU for the first time in several years. It is in our interests that their demand recovers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Good morning!

Is Hexham in Durham?
    Gallowgate will be getting upset. Hexham is the jewel in the crown that is Northumberland. and it has a Waitrose. Apart from that affectation it's great. Luckily for actual people Lidl open up in 2022.

Scored very highly indeed in some recent survey of "best places in the UK to live", AIR?
    Yep.
    Not if you want anything to do. Or be out past 5 pm. Or be employed. Or have kids who want an education or to be entertained within 20 miles of your home. Or don't have a car. I could continue...
    M6/M74?

A1?

The A1 is not dualled much north of Hexham to the border. South to Newcastle is fine but not north. Its absolutely ridiculous.
    Yes. The Scottish government built the definitely not a motorway to Dunbar and offered to add to the program the not-motorway's extension to the border if the same was to be built in England. They said no, so the single carriageway remains.
  • Options

Been around too long, unlikely to capture the public attention.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    algarkirk said:

Thank you Cyclefree.

I share your doubts. I place little trust in our Home Secretary. But some questions need answering.

How may people have been deprived so far?

How many of these have been rendered stateless?

Is there an appeal which will go through the well known structure up to and including the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court?

Can those courts and tribunals consider the merits of the case on the facts, and overturn the executive decision on the basis of the court's view of the facts?

Is Legal Aid available for the appeals? Are there a number of firms of solicitors willing and able to represent people in this situation effectively?

Is there so far any evidence of the use of the process in respect of people who have not behaved abominably in the eyes of the person in the street?

1. See the attached
    2. Don't know. Rendering someone stateless is contrary to international law even if the Labour government gave itself this power.
    3. In theory yes you can appeal but (a) how if you are not given notice and (b) notice the government's response when it loses such cases. Not simply to change the law for the future. But to retrospectively make lawful what was unlawful. So even winning an appeal may not help. It is a spitefully malicious power which the government has given itself.
    4. Generally no - because as you know of the limitations placed on judicial review.
    5. Legal Aid has been cut back considerably. To challenge a decision will cost. Significantly.
    6. Not yet - because the Bill is not yet law. But what we do know is that the previous powers have been used beyond their original stated intention to deal with not simply enemies of the state but those accused of serious crime.

It is not simply the prospect of being rendered stateless. It is the prospect of the removal of British citizenship from people living and working here. Even if they have another nationality, what then is their status here? Can they work? Rent a flat? Get a GP? Etc. It creates uncertainty and gives arbitrary powers to government.

Is it so fanciful to fear what a Corbyn-style government would do with such powers in relation to Jews? Or wonder whether hard-line Unionists might demand the removal of British citizenship from Northern Irish nationalists as the price of keeping a government in power? And so on.

Impossible you say. I would like to think so. But I cannot say so with any certainty.

Power corrupts as someone once wisely said.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Just got a French number through on my mobile phone which then led to a recorded voice suggesting I was subject of a National Crime Agency investigation, then suggested I hold to speak to an investigator.

I probably need a loud whistle on hand for such calls.
  • Options

When Keir Starmer took over, Labour was 26 points behind. They are now 6 points ahead.

Whatever you say about Starmer, that is incredible work. What a turnaround for the Labour Party. I am proud I voted for him.

Mostly self inflicted by the Tories. Starmer has offered steady, not incredible, but steady is what was required as a constrast to a Johnson govt.
  • Options

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Good morning!

Is Hexham in Durham?

Yep.
    M6/M74?

A1?

Yes. The Scottish government built the definitely not a motorway to Dunbar and offered to add to the program the not-motorway's extension to the border if the same was to be built in England. They said no, so the single carriageway remains.
    I think the first promises of an upgrade were by a chap called Agicola?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Stocky said:

GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

Any chance Johnson might roll the dice and go for a snap GE in 2022?
    He can't on his own. The FTPA is still in place. He would either need majority support to pass a new bill, or super majority support to use the provisions of the current act.

It is highly questionable whether anyone at all will want an election, apart from the possibility that Boris would want a last throw of the tactical dice. Labour may not yet be ready to win it (in alliance), and Tories may fear losing it.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:
    A more cunning PM who had given the nudge nudge wink wink for staffers to have a bit of a knees up, would have ensured that whatever date had been set, they were away at Chequers.

The claim of not hearing because its a big building, is about as believable as Gordo not having a clue what the bloke next to him in the office had been up to in relationship to organising smears.
  • Options
    People who are not vaccinated and fall ill with Covid-19 now have to pay for their own treatment in Singapore after the government withdrew support on Wednesday.

Singapore has covered the medical bills for nearly all Covid-19 patients since last year under a measure to ease the public's financial concerns during the pandemic.

But on Wednesday, the government lifted this policy for the unvaccinated, withdrawing free care for those who have so far chosen not to get the jab.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10290697/Singapore-tells-unvaccinated-pay-treatment-catch-Covid.html
  • Options

Been around too long, unlikely to capture the public attention.
    Last campaign was a damp squib.
  • Options
    Gammon News Network...

Eamonn Holmes to host his own show on GB News
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

Thank you Cyclefree.

I share your doubts. I place little trust in our Home Secretary. But some questions need answering.

Is there an appeal which will go through the well known structure up to and including the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court?

Can those courts and tribunals consider the merits of the case on the facts, and overturn the executive decision on the basis of the court's view of the facts?

Is Legal Aid available for the appeals? Are there a number of firms of solicitors willing and able to represent people in this situation effectively?

Is there so far any evidence of the use of the process in respect of people who have not behaved abominably in the eyes of the person in the street?

1. See the attached
    2. Don't know. Rendering someone stateless is contrary to international law even if the Labour government gave itself this power.
    3. In theory yes you can appeal but (a) how if you are not given notice and (b) notice the government's response when it loses such cases. Not simply to change the law for the future. But to retrospectively make lawful what was unlawful. So even winning an appeal may not help. It is a spitefully malicious power which the government has given itself.
    4. Generally no - because as you know of the limitations placed on judicial review.
    5. Legal Aid has been cut back considerably. To challenge a decision will cost. Significantly.
    6. Not yet - because the Bill is not yet law. But what we do know is that the previous powers have been used beyond their original stated intention to deal with not simply enemies of the state but those accused of serious crime.

It is not simply the prospect of being rendered stateless. It is the prospect of the removal of British citizenship from people living and working here. Even if they have another nationality, what then is their status here? Can they work? Rent a flat? Get a GP? Etc. It creates uncertainty and gives arbitrary powers to government.

Is it so fanciful to fear what a Corbyn-style government would do with such powers in relation to Jews? Or wonder whether hard-line Unionists might demand the removal of British citizenship from Northern Irish nationalists as the price of keeping a government in power? And so on.

Impossible you say. I would like to think so. But I cannot say so with any certainty.

Much of this is caveated with what would happen if...
    I'm more worried about what will occur with this actual real life government, before any hypothetical one.
    The introduction of voter ID. Followed swiftly by a promise to seize the passports and driving licences of possessors of drugs was a pointer.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

It is unfortunate that our largest trading partner's economy has not recovered as well as ours from Covid. Germany has had some particularly bad figures recently and exports of financial services to the US have overtaken those to the EU for the first time in several years. It is in our interests that their demand recovers.
    Lol. Keep spinning.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Liz Truss is not the only minister with leadership ambitions and a keen eye for judicious media appearances (see 10:41am for more).

Rishi Sunak likes to keep his powder dry, picking and choosing his photo opps with a less is more approach.

So the fact a spread of pictures, taken by the Treasury's own snapper, have landed today is certainly an interesting move - even if the general consensus in Westminster is that the Chancellor will have his work cut out with both backbenchers and the wider public before becoming a genuine leadership contender.

Mr Sunak is apparently in Bishop Auckland - one of the key Red Wall seats - to see how levelling up cash is being spent.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer really is turning into the David Cameron of Labour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

MattW said:

GIN1138 said:

We already have a leader who has won the biggest majority for our party since Thatcher.

There is noone in the current crop who will do any better after 11 years in power in my view.

Sunak and Javid might get a brief poll bounce but it would soon fall back and they would not have the appeal of Boris in the RedWall.

Truss, Patel, Raab etc would poll worse than Boris is now
    Well yes, but he won't be up against Corbyn next time round.

Shouldn't you be reviewing more candidates than that?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    edited December 2021
    Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

Thank you Cyclefree.

1. See the attached

Here is the attachment I mentioned.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398

Harsh :wink:
  • Options

Gammon News Network...

Eamonn Holmes to host his own show on GB News

I'll never forget when he was hosting the Saturday night lottery show and they had an invasion on the stage by fathers for justice of something and his natural instinct was to hide behind the lady guest who was on stage with him lol!
  • Options

Doesn't bode well for the LibDems in North Shropshire, though.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Started filming in North Shropshire this morning. Took about 30 seconds before a member of the public (unprompted) mentioned the party story.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1469278131307569152
  • Options

MattW said:

AlistairM said:

Yes.

What distinguishes “hipster” versus “IKEA” here?
    WIll PM you.
  • Options

Genuinely cancelled, Sandy, or reclassified as business meetings?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

Thank you Cyclefree.

1. See the attached

Thanks. I don't like the bill any more than you do. I am I suppose less confident than you about a fascistic government arising. The current populist one is not exactly awash with support. But it all indicates the pressing need for a One Nation Tory government or a well led centre left social democratic alliance.

With luck one or the other is on the way. Who you would vote for if you want a competent Home Office is beyond me however.

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Because he looks like a Bond villain.
  • Options

Nowhere near as witty.

Vertically challenged Speaker of the House of Commons: "I am not happy"
    DC: "So which one are you?"
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Hope you are well.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Excellent header, but not really a " slippery slope". Arbitrarily depriving people of their nationality is in a pattern of autocratic moves from a profoundly despotic government.

Just in the past week, the same people have inserted last minute amendments to the Policing bill that will potentially make most of public protest a punishable offence. It's effectively at the discretion of the police or the Home secretary whether such an offence has occurred. All accountability for the use of stop and search is also ended.

Also this week was the floated idea that Ministers can strike down court judgements on whim.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Selebian said:

Failing to win a majority against a tired and unpopular government, losing an historic referendum and then sloping off to dodgeville to have his pockets filled by some of the country’s shonkiest businessmen?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Pro_Rata said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting observation on a thread on the spread...
    https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1469157773464125446
    The UK is sequencing between 5000 and 8000 viruses everyday. Although turnaround times are fast, necessary processing delays permit a view that's basically lagged by ~7 days. Today, I have a strong view of Dec 1 data in
    @GISAID, but Dec 2 has much less data available to me. 3/21

Basic maths on the relative spread of Delta and Omicron taking 6% Omicron rate at the moment and assuming Omicron is trebling week on week (quite a modest assessment) and Delta is receding by 10% each week, which the likely stability of the 5/12 and 6/12 by sample date figures already seem to suggest:

Index 6/12 = 1.00 cases
    13/12 = 1.03 cases
    20/12 = 1.30 cases
    27/12 = 2.30 cases
    3/1 = 5.47 cases

The Omicron whump maybe comes just after Christmas, again.

At some point, of course, Omicron breaks the exponent and things bend down, but 250k cases per day is not an extreme outcome for an immune busting event.

If I were the government, with one eye on the NHS, I'd be asking the unvaccinated to pretty much shield within the next few days, or else everyone will be locked down by New Year.
    Asking the unvaccinated to shield (as if they gave a toss about themselves or anyone else) probably wouldn't do much to hinder the spread of Omicron, because there is so much potential for immune escape among the vaccinated. It would probably halve the load on the hospitals - though they'd have to carry on shielding for the duration of the wave, not just for "the next few days". But halving the load on the hospitals would be worth only 2 or 3 days delay given the growth rate. Unless Omicron miraculously turns out to much milder - meaning a factor of 10 or something - I think we're all going to be in lockdown soon, regardless of what other measures are attempted.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Farooq said:

Fair point, but the party did choose Michael Howard as a leader.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Selebian said:

Failing to win a majority against a tired and unpopular government, losing an historic referendum and then sloping off to dodgeville to have his pockets filled by some of the country’s shonkiest businessmen?
    David Cameron flipped over 100 seats in one election and is the only reason the Tories are in Government today
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Good Cameron (chairman-like, articulate, decisive, reformist, charming) or Bad Cameron (constitutional vandal, colossal bad judgment)?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Good morning!

Is Hexham in Durham?

Yep.
    M6/M74?

A1?

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.0255481,-2.0269267,3a,46.5y,138.82h,84.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s64xCRDti4exjQuG20oM66g!2e0!6shttps://streetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com/v1/thumbnail?panoid=64xCRDti4exjQuG20oM66g&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&w=203&h=100&yaw=84.2841&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192

The imperial project to double Dere Street (the present day ALXVIII) was part of the doubling-up agenda but was put in abeyance when the imperial secretariat ran into a little trouble back at the imperial palace.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    SA epidemiologist on Twitter saying her guess is Omicron is no worse and no better than Delta in severity, it is just encountering a lot more people with some immunity - from vax or prior infection - and these cases are likely milder, which “dilutes” the overall severity, as we perceive it

Down the thread someone makes an apt comparison.

If you add a shot of gin to an empty glass, then a tin of Fever Tree tonic, that’s Delta

If you add a shot of gin to an empty glass, then two tins of Fever Tree tonic, that’s Omicron

The second drink is “weaker” because the gin is diluted more, but if you drink both just as fast, both will get you equally as tipsy
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

Selebian said:

David Cameron flipped over 100 seats in one election and is the only reason the Tories are in Government today
    You are right but not for the reason you think. Sorry to go all HYUFD on you but without Cameron’s promise to hold the referendum then yes, the Tories would not be in government, that much is clear.
  • Options

Good Cameron (chairman-like, articulate, decisive, reformist, charming) or Bad Cameron (constitutional vandal, colossal bad judgment)?
    Good Cameron
  • Options

Farooq said:

Fair point, but the party did choose Michael Howard as a leader.
    The undertaker look is surprisingly common in politics. See also Kaufman, G; Dole, B; and Zemmour, E.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Also recently booed by his own backbenches over Plan B.
    If Boris is defenestrated rapidly, the timing is off for him.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    What's going on in Italy ?

https://twitter.com/BirthGauge/status/1469267418870603780/photo/1

Nothing much productive in the bedrooms judging by their population pyramid.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Stocky said:

Anecdote: Just had an interesting chat with my Brexiteer hairy-arsed window cleaner. Big Johnson fan. Or was.

He's just told me that he liked Johnson originally because he was "something different" but now thinks he's the most corrupt lying politician we have ever had. Also, he's livid about Plan B.

He'll never vote Tory while Johnson remains leader. Says all his mates agree. Bojo is done.

Not the Nationality & Borders bill then. :smile:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited December 2021
    Apparently Brenda will be furious that her man Lord Geidt has been put into this position by Boris Johnson.

Make Boris Johnson your new Gough Whitlam, Your Majesty.
  • Options

Apparently Brenda will be furious that her man Lord Geidt has been put into this position by Boris Johnson.

Had MI5 send over CCTV footage of Downing Street from December last year.

https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/1469025930718892033?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

They won't be booing him when he's feeding them to sharks with fricking laser beams.
  • Options

I would think Her Majesty is in a constant state of fury with Boris.

That could be what he illness has been all about. Stress induced high blood pressure from having to deal with Boris Johnson lol!
  • Options

The Queen missed her chance during the prorogation affair. She should have told Rees-Mogg to do one.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Seems the Tories have broken their streak. A gain in Torridge from a disqualified Independent.
    And a hold in Tonbridge.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I would think Her Majesty is in a constant state of fury with Boris.

That could be what he illness has been all about. Stress induced high blood pressure from having to deal with Boris Johnson lol!
    I am sure she is having a bit of a giggle at the problems Boris is currently having to face.
  • Options

glw said:

Any further variant would have to be more transmissable than Omicron to survive. I dont think that is likely.
    The same thing was said about Delta. Although, it must get to a point where there is literally no way it came be more transmissible in the environment.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

They won't be booing him when he's feeding them to sharks with fricking laser beams.
    Somehow he's about as threatening as Rami Malek's recent effort.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

And has the comedy voice of a ventriloquist's dummy.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Pulpstar said:

Birth rate has really dropped off in the last 8 years,
  • Options

I said a couple of months ago that I thought all the criticism of Starmer was misplaced and that I could see him winning a majority. Now admittedly he is currently lucky in his opponent but luck is not enough. He has to make sure he and the Labour party are seen as fit for Government where clearly Johnson is not. I think he is doing that. Still probably not able to vote for him myself as a matter of principle but I certainly don't now fear a Labour Government in the way I do a continuation of Johnson in power.

The next election will be very different to 2019.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    Leon said:

SA epidemiologist on Twitter saying her guess is Omicron is no worse and no better than Delta in severity, it is just encountering a lot more people with some immunity - from vax or prior infection - and these cases are likely milder, which “dilutes” the overall severity, as we perceive it

Down the thread someone makes an apt comparison.

If you add a shot of gin to an empty glass, then a tin of Fever Tree tonic, that’s Delta

If you add a shot of gin to an empty glass, then two tins of Fever Tree tonic, that’s Omicron

The second drink is “weaker” because the gin is diluted more, but if you drink both just as fast, both will get you equally as tipsy

Whether the virus itself is intrinsically milder, or whether herd immunity is making it present as milder matters less than the fact that outcomes appear to be better than in the delta wave. Indeed, immunity conferring milder outcomes might be preferable to the virus itself being milder?
  • Options

I said a couple of months ago that I thought all the criticism of Starmer was misplaced and that I could see him winning a majority. Now admittedly he is currently lucky in his opponent but luck is not enough. He has to make sure he and the Labour party are seen as fit for Government where clearly Johnson is not. I think he is doing that. Still probably not able to vote for him myself as a matter of principle but I certainly don't now fear a Labour Government in the way I do a continuation of Johnson in power.

The next election will be very different to 2019.
    One of the few posters who really understands what Labour have got with Starmer, is Richard.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    edited December 2021
    Chris said:

Pro_Rata said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting observation on a thread on the spread...
    https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1469157773464125446
    The UK is sequencing between 5000 and 8000 viruses everyday. Although turnaround times are fast, necessary processing delays permit a view that's basically lagged by ~7 days. Today, I have a strong view of Dec 1 data in
    @GISAID, but Dec 2 has much less data available to me. 3/21

Basic maths on the relative spread of Delta and Omicron taking 6% Omicron rate at the moment and assuming Omicron is trebling week on week (quite a modest assessment) and Delta is receding by 10% each week, which the likely stability of the 5/12 and 6/12 by sample date figures already seem to suggest:

Index 6/12 = 1.00 cases
    13/12 = 1.03 cases
    20/12 = 1.30 cases
    27/12 = 2.30 cases
    3/1 = 5.47 cases

The Omicron whump maybe comes just after Christmas, again.

At some point, of course, Omicron breaks the exponent and things bend down, but 250k cases per day is not an extreme outcome for an immune busting event.

If I were the government, with one eye on the NHS, I'd be asking the unvaccinated to pretty much shield within the next few days, or else everyone will be locked down by New Year.
    Asking the unvaccinated to shield (as if they gave a toss about themselves or anyone else) probably wouldn't do much to hinder the spread of Omicron, because there is so much potential for immune escape among the vaccinated. It would probably halve the load on the hospitals - though they'd have to carry on shielding for the duration of the wave, not just for "the next few days". But halving the load on the hospitals would be worth only 2 or 3 days delay given the growth rate. Unless Omicron miraculously turns out to much milder - meaning a factor of 10 or something - I think we're all going to be in lockdown soon, regardless of what other measures are attempted.
    We can’t just keep locking down every time we have a new variant. The impacts of lockdowns on human lives are absolutely massive. You seem intensely relaxed about lockdowns. It’s not clear to me why.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Birth rate has really dropped off in the last 8 years,
    I thought Italians all lived with their mums until the age of 45.
  • Options

Genuinely cancelled, Sandy, or reclassified as business meetings?
    I've been in a home-based job now since starting at a new company in October 2020. The role deals with stakeholders across Europe. On Tuesday I was meant to be going to an all-day meeting/drinks with the team in the UK. It was to be the first time I got to meet anyone physically from the business and I was really looking forward to it. Waiting to hear now if it will be cancelled!
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398

Selebian said:

Hope you are well.
    Thanks. Same to you.

I've got the worst cough/temperature etc this side of Covid (according to a set of negative tests anyway) but otherwise all good :smile:

On topic: I think Starmer has more substance than Cameron, but Cameron was a much more savvy political operator. I do see the parallels in failing to set the world on fire early on, but making an unlelectable party electable.
  • Options
    This "Downing Street is Crown Land so exempt" is interesting.

Does that mean that the Royal Parks, Windsor Great Park and all the foreshore is exempt from Covid Law?

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1468705345245786112
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Anecdote: Just had an interesting chat with my Brexiteer hairy-arsed window cleaner. Big Johnson fan. Or was.

He's just told me that he liked Johnson originally because he was "something different" but now thinks he's the most corrupt lying politician we have ever had. Also, he's livid about Plan B.

He'll never vote Tory while Johnson remains leader. Says all his mates agree. Bojo is done.

Not the Nationality & Borders bill then. :smile:
    Well, he is a very low-information fellow. I very much doubt that he would have heard of it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Good morning!

Is Hexham in Durham?

Yep.
    M6/M74?

A1?

Your map must be very out of date ... was it by Ptolemaios that Greek chappy? Though Hexham is more or less on the same latitude as Newky, tbf.
This discussion has been closed.