Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB takes a 6% lead with Survation – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

also a guy was on GB News tonite with Farage stating the vaccines are unsafe

They are bloody lethal. Pilots dropping like flies.

I think we've seen you before haven't we? If not, welcome, but I think you are wasting your time
    of course facts dont matter do you mate...youve had the jabs so are praying they dont do you any harm
    Yup. Hoping against hope...
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    edited December 2021

To be complimentary to the Government for a change, this proposed appointment sounds excellent:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/09/charity-regulator-should-keep-out-of-woke-debates-says-prospective-chair

Shhh - don't tell @Leon
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited December 2021
    Be nice, people.

No need for abuse.

There’s a small proportion of the population who thinks like @theterrace

I’m quite interested in how (s)he thinks.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,768

ydoethur said:

Oh glory be, another Russian troll.

Just tell Vlad from us he's a lying murdering incompetent drunken whoreson who couldn't run a fecking whelk stall. He can't even manage a simple murder in Salisbury without cocking the whole thing up. In light of that he'd be well advised to stay out of Ukraine.

not responding to facts i see....you know a guy was murdered in germany for coming out with findings about the vax
    I was wondering about getting a Vax. One of the miniature ones. But the reviews on Amazon suggest that a Bissell Spot Clean might be better. Can you help?
    denial is a river in egypt mate...you may have poison runnin through your veins
    @PBModerator

Can I suggest enough is enough with this one?
  • ydoethur said:

Just tell Vlad from us he's a lying murdering incompetent drunken whoreson who couldn't run a fecking whelk stall. He can't even manage a simple murder in Salisbury without cocking the whole thing up. In light of that he'd be well advised to stay out of Ukraine.

not responding to facts i see....you know a guy was murdered in germany for coming out with findings about the vax
    Just had my booster today, so if by next week my posts require new security patches every other day consider that proof that Gates's microchip has taken control.
  • Had MI5 send over CCTV footage of Downing Street from December last year.
    https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/1469025930718892033?s=20
    ping said:

Be nice, people.

No need for abuse.

There’s a small proportion of the population who think like @theterrace

I’m quite interested in how (s)he thinks.

They don't think. That is the core of the problem.

As for 'how they think' it's not the daft conclusions they draw - after all, some people even think Johnson is a good PM - but the deliberate lies they put out about data that bother me.
    @theterrace joined.
    Welcome Aboard!
    8:18PM Comment

8:40PM Piss off wacko! 😂
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    edited December 2021

ydoethur said:

I was wondering about getting a Vax. One of the miniature ones. But the reviews on Amazon suggest that a Bissell Spot Clean might be better. Can you help?
    Vax Platinum is the one to go for! Carpets clean, fluffy and dry within an hour or two. Highly recommended:

https://www.vax.co.uk/vax-platinum-smartwash-carpet-cleaner

ydoethur said:

Now that's a ban I do support!

Well done mods!
    Nice and quick.

Didn't take nearly as long as before...

I'm still pretty offended that they think we'll fall for this BS. I mean, haven't the last three or four occasions taught them anything?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    dixiedean said:

Hope you feel better soon @dixiedean best wishes

Ta. Will try not to mope...
    Look on the bright side. You’ll be done by Christmas.

ydoethur said:

Just had my booster today, so if by next week my posts require new security patches every other day consider that proof that Gates's microchip has taken control.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows
    What's with the embedded link dude?

@theterrace joined.
    Welcome Aboard!
    8:18PM Comment

8:40PM Piss off wacko! 😂

But harsh on wackos.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    Aw, I was looking forward to learning how the vaccines (all of them, individually) know how to identify pilots so they don't accidentally give the game away by killing mere passengers.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Evening all :)

I must confess I'm a very long way from thinking Boris Johnson is finished.

There are two criteria which need to be met before any Conservative leader is ever replaced - first, they must be proven to be an electoral liability and second, there has to be someone else who, if they were leader, would restore the Party's fortunes.

I'm not wholly convinced, in spite of Survation, the first of those has been met. Even defeat in North Shropshire, if it happens, won't be any more of a tipping point than Eastbourne or Orpington. By election defeats at this time in a Parliament can be shrugged off as "mid term blues" and arguably even more so if the main beneficiary of the loss of Conservative support isn't Labour.

As to the second, it would be fascinating to know if there was any polling in the field asking for VI with Sunak or Truss as Conservative leader. It's entirely possible the focus of the discontent is the man, not the party but we don't know this yet.

I noted @HYUFD's assertions this morning comparing Boris Johnson to Margaret Thatcher. I do wonder if a more accurate comparison may be Eden or Macmillan. Eden took over the party, won an election and then suffered a huge crisis which impacted on his health and led to his departure. Macmillan took over the leadership, won a convincing election win after a long period of Conservative rule but it went wrong for him due to scandal and he was, as famously cited in one of the great history books of our time, "brought down by two tarts".
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,870
    GIN1138 said:

I don't think I've ever been to a "cheese and wine"

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/92/79/c9/9279c9ff1d1bcbbd4b696d78dea4da0b.jpg
    The wine should be Mateus Rose.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Some potential good news from my uni mates on WhatsApp, their consensus is that Omicron will present symptom severity of 20-30% less than Delta and 2 doses of vaccine will also reduce severity by another 20-30%, three doses or two plus prior infection will be 40-50%, rolled in with the generally lower symptom severity we could actually have significantly fewer people experiencing severe symptoms than Delta last year.

Hopefully they're right, in other news the GSK person seems very chipper today because their antibody treatment is highly effective against Omicron and got FDA approval for treatment of COVID patients in hospital. He also suggested that the Pfizer protease inhibitor will work with no dilution against Omicron and he thinks the first batch will be available in the US pretty soon too.
    I don't know if this has been commented on:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/disciplinary-hearing/robbie-dunne-found-in-breach-of-four-charges-in-bryony-frost-bullying-case/526196

It's been a hugely damaging case for the sport - the outcome perhaps what might have been expected. The backlash from the Professional Jockeys Association tonight has been very strong - I wonder if they might forego media interviews in the light of this.

Neither Frost nor Dunne emerge that well from it but neither does the weighing room "culture". I'd also add the facilities at some courses for jockeys remain very poor - this is their place of work.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Why did the Sun not report the party???

Slack is now Deputy Editor of The Sun. https://twitter.com/darrenmccaffrey/status/1469027953522659334

GIN1138 said:

Not a bad choice, but I find a sweeter wine better with the cheesy pineapple. Leibfraumilch or Hock.

(As an aside, I have actually been to the estate of Mateus Rose, in the Duoro valley. It is quite pretty)
    Foxy said:

Not a bad choice, but I find a sweeter wine better with the cheesy pineapple. Leibfraumilch or Hock.

(As an aside, I have actually been to the estate of Mateus Rose, in the Duoro valley. It is quite pretty)

Blue Nun
  • 10 points soon
    Scott_xP said:

Slack is now Deputy Editor of The Sun. https://twitter.com/darrenmccaffrey/status/1469027953522659334

It's all part of the Sun set.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094

GIN1138 said:

Or White Zinfandel, which was the parallel wine craze over the pond.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

GIN1138 said:

Gosh!

I'm deffo going to have a "cheese and wine" party for one over Christmas!

Assuming I'm not dead after the microchip Bill Gates implanted in my bloodstream after my booster jab on Monday hasn't been detonated on behalf of the rest of the lizard people (aka HMQ, the Royal Family and the British government) by then...
  • For (Alleged) Good of the Order -

Re: banning, the following points:

1. It is prerogative of OGH and his minions to ban PBers, justified by ownership AND responsibility for content, and at his/their (hope I'm getting pronouns right!) discretion.

2. That said, and while admitting potential & actual benefits of certain degree of positive ambiguity, might it be a good idea to have somewhat clearer standards and usages for PB banning?

3. For example, a posting by mods that certain PBer(s) are banned, for how long, and for what reasons? Perhaps using broadly-defined infractions ("legal issues") as opposed to specific offenses, though I'd be OK with as much specificity as possible.

That is all - smoke 'em if you got 'em!

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Vax Platinum is the one to go for! Carpets clean, fluffy and dry within an hour or two. Highly recommended:

https://www.vax.co.uk/vax-platinum-smartwash-carpet-cleaner
    Get a VAX 9000 - very retro.

Will go well with the cheese and pineapple.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922

ydoethur said:

I had mine on Tuesday, so the programming should be kicking in very soon.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    edited December 2021
    I have to say, this site is much more ruthless than the Tory government.

PB moderators: three bans in one day (I think), including two very regular contributors and a nutter.

Tory Government: Allegra Stratton (barely a bit player).
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

For the authentic 70s party, the Liebfraumilch should be Blue Nun.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    The Manchurian Candidate is on Ch 4 at 9pm.
    Just sayin'.

• OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Blue Nun
    Black Tower to Leslie Phillips 6
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,584

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

also a guy was on GB News tonite with Farage stating the vaccines are unsafe

They are bloody lethal. Pilots dropping like flies.

I think we've seen you before haven't we? If not, welcome, but I think you are wasting your time
    In a way it's quite flattering that the FSB think PB and its denizens are sufficiently important to try this bullshit out on repeatedly.

It's somewhat less flattering they think we will believe it, but then like many very stupid people they my not realise how transparent their lies are.
    facts are there mate massive increase in pilot deaths....mmm right after the vaxx very strange dont you think
    You certainly are.
    And your punctuation is worse.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited December 2021
    @theterrace

If you’re still reading/lurking, here’s a great essay that explains what just happened;

https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/

Personally, I find the antivax outgroup fascinating. I don’t understand it at all.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Bet you're over the moon about that pun.
    Big discussion at work today about the Christmas lunch - not "do" or "party" just a lunch. Oddly enough, the older members who have had the three vaccinations were much more positive about going than the younger double jabbed who felt very insecure.

I can only go by what my colleagues tell me but the perception (yes, the "p" word again) created by the media is those who have had only two vaccinations are much more at risk from Omicron than those with three. Everyone in the room had two vaccinations and six of us had had the booster.

We fought off a move to cancel the whole thing but a table for 14 will now be a table for 6 - for a couple of the team this will be their main social outing before Christmas. I was reminded of the classic lyric from Eleanor Rigby:

"All the Lonely People, Where do They all Belong?"

It's not just about the partying, the drinking, the "carousing" (as @Leon would say) but for a worryingly large number of people, it's about the minimum of social contact.

ydoethur said:

You know its working when you start to like Edge.

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, I was but you've just eclipsed it.

ydoethur said:

Now that's a ban I do support!

Well done mods!
    But we hadn't got on to the subject of Putin's boyfriends yet. It's no fun if we can't pull the trolls legs until they actually fall of.....

PB moderators: three bans in one day (I think), including two very regular contributors and a nutter.

And the latter went voluntarily in realisation that she had trashed her reputation. An eventuality most unlikely to see anyone leaving PB.

ydoethur said:

Had mine a couple of weeks ago, and have already chucked out all my Apple equipment and replaced with Microsoft stuff.
    stodge said:

Big discussion at work today about the Christmas lunch - not "do" or "party" just a lunch. Oddly enough, the older members who have had the three vaccinations were much more positive about going than the younger double jabbed who felt very insecure.

I can only go by what my colleagues tell me but the perception (yes, the "p" word again) created by the media is those who have had only two vaccinations are much more at risk from Omicron than those with three. Everyone in the room had two vaccinations and six of us had had the booster.

We fought off a move to cancel the whole thing but a table for 14 will now be a table for 6 - for a couple of the team this will be their main social outing before Christmas. I was reminded of the classic lyric from Eleanor Rigby:

It's not just about the partying, the drinking, the "carousing" (as @Leon would say) but for a worryingly large number of people, it's about the minimum of social contact.

At least you got to have a “big discussion”.
    ping said:

@theterrace

If you’re still reading/lurking, here’s a great essay that explains what just happened;

https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/

Personally, I find the antivax outgroup fascinating. I don’t understand it at all.

And here's an even better article that will give you some personal insight into what happened:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/technology/russia-troll-farm-election.html
    Endillion said:

Aw, I was looking forward to learning how the vaccines (all of them, individually) know how to identify pilots so they don't accidentally give the game away by killing mere passengers.

The chip in the vaccine interacts with the sekrit chips in their pilots licenses.

Do keep up.
  • IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Didn't they have champagne delivered? Chaource, also from Champagne, goes very nicely with it.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Knocked it into orbit, no less.
    14C by Sunday in the south, woohoo!

Had mine a couple of weeks ago, and have already chucked out all my Apple equipment and replaced with Microsoft stuff.

Wanna buy a Zune?
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Knocked it into orbit, no less.
    I can only manage orbit once a decayed.

Like a Bryan Robson tackle: hard but fair.

ydoethur said:

The telling sign is trying to buy a Zune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2GC1dFjeZU
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    stodge said:

I’d normally be doing a boozy night in town with mates before Xmas. But not this year. Seeking to preserve Xmas day for the kids at whatever personal cost is needed. Can’t have two in a row fucked by this.

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

For the authentic 70s party, the Liebfraumilch should be Blue Nun.
    Nothing else will do!

IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Didn't they have champagne delivered? Chaource, also from Champagne, goes very nicely with it.
    Strangely, not long ago, had cheese and wine at a friends place.

A vertical of Mersault and a dozen cheeses.....

• To be complimentary to the Government for a change, this proposed appointment sounds excellent:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/09/charity-regulator-should-keep-out-of-woke-debates-says-prospective-chair

Shhh - don't tell @Leon
    Sorry Ben. I think I off topiced you by mistake, I have now removed it. Easy to press the wrong button in the pub 🍺
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Spooky. That's the very browser I'm using!

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

For a given value of 'browser' perhaps.

I must be the height of double vaxxed decadence because I have Edge installed on my Mac (as well as the PC where I don't have the option).
    Some Tories reckon up to 100 MPs are considering rebelling on vaccine passports in next weeks crunch votes.

Absolute fury with the plan.

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1469050997238554630
    Unvaccinated Texans 40 times as likely to die of covid as those fully vaccinated in 2021, study says
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/11/09/texas-unvaccinated-deaths-higher-covid/

Lots of pilots in Texas.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2021
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I must be the height of double vaxxed decadence because I have Edge installed on my Mac (as well as the PC where I don't have the option).
    Isn't it just Pfizer that has the Microsoft Borg chip? Moderna has the Apple version.

AZ should of course be styled as GNU/AZ, and will turn out to be much more useful in the long run. You might end up growing a beard though.
  • I know there have been plenty of approved drugs that have later proved to have very unfortunate side effects, but has that actually been the case with any vaccines?

I remember the whole MMR causing autism rubbish, but I can't think of any real vaccine scandals. I don't want to google it because I know I'll find mostly antivax bullshit.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

I thought the Deputy Editor was called Peri Helion?

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Isn't it just Pfizer that has the Microsoft Borg chip? Moderna has the Apple version.

AZ should of course be styled as GNU/AZ, and will turn out to be much more useful in the long run.
    Triple vaxxed with Pfizer, so chucked out the Mac, the iPad and the iPhone.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    moonshine said:

stodge said:

I’d normally be doing a boozy night in town with mates before Xmas. But not this year. Seeking to preserve Xmas day for the kids at whatever personal cost is needed. Can’t have two in a row fucked by this.
    Seems to be the reaction of a lot of people - worried about what will happen if they catch it
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Hope you feel better soon @dixiedean best wishes

Ta. Will try not to mope...
    Look on the bright side. You’ll be done by Christmas.
    One way or the other. :wink:
  • I have to say, this site is much more ruthless than the Tory government.

Can't be the nutter, I'm still here.

:smile:
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,972
    edited December 2021
    Flash up on the alerts at work.

Russia has close the Straits of Kerch - Awaiting official confirmation.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited December 2021
    I don’t know why the Russians bother with PB when there are bigger fish to fry.

In a report published Wednesday, Chatham House said Westminster — and Boris Johnson’s Conservative parliamentary party in particular — “may be open to influence from wealthy donors who originate from post-Soviet kleptocracies and who may retain fealty to these regimes.”

According to the report, the Conservative Party received £3.5 million from naturalized British citizens of Russian and Eurasian backgrounds between 2010 and 2019 — and the volume of donations appears to have increased ever since.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    algarkirk said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Brrrr. This is depressing.

Something more consoling:

'No worst, there is none. Pitched past pitch of grief.'
    BY GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS

No worst, there is none. Pitched past pitch of grief,
    More pangs will, schooled at forepangs, wilder wring.
    Comforter, where, where is your comforting?
    Mary, mother of us, where is your relief?
    My cries heave, herds-long; huddle in a main, a chief
    Woe, wórld-sorrow; on an áge-old anvil wince and sing —
    Then lull, then leave off. Fury had shrieked 'No ling-
    ering! Let me be fell: force I must be brief."'

O the mind, mind has mountains; cliffs of fall
    Frightful, sheer, no-man-fathomed. Hold them cheap
    May who ne'er hung there. Nor does long our small
    Durance deal with that steep or deep. Here! creep,
    Wretch, under a comfort serves in a whirlwind: all
    Life death does end and each day dies with sleep.

Not so comforting.

Could I offer Lear

I eat my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life
    It makes the peas taste funny
    But it keeps them on the knife

Shakespeare was a versatile fellow.

Or a woman?

This is Shakespeare. Lucy Shakespeare I used to go camping with.

There was a lady called Alice
    Who used dynamite stick for a phallus,
    They found her vagina
    In North Carolina
    And her arsehole in Buckingham Palace.

I’m here all week (unless banned)

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

AZ should of course be styled as GNU/AZ, and will turn out to be much more useful in the long run.
    Triple vaxxed with Pfizer, so chucked out the Mac, the iPad and the iPhone.
    I was AZN/AZN/Pfizer, which is probably why I still have an iPad and iPhone, though it's windows all the way on my laptop.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

Russia has close the Straights of Kerch - Awaiting official confirmation.

Is it not Straits ?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Don’t cow him
  • Dominic Cummings will hold an ‘ask me anything’ event tomorrow at 12noon

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1469039821343666180
  • Flash up on the alerts at work.

Russia has close the Straights of Kerch - Awaiting official confirmation.

Is it not Straits ?
    Yah. I'll blame autocorrect.

Boris might be leading the country during WWIII in 2022!

I wonder what that will do to his approval ratings?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    Scott_xP said:

Some Tories reckon up to 100 MPs are considering rebelling on vaccine passports in next weeks crunch votes.

Why are they furious? It doesn't really do anything significant.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    edited December 2021

algarkirk said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

BY GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS

Not so comforting.

Could I offer Lear

I eat my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life

Or a woman?

They found her vagina
    In North Carolina

Another Alice one...cos I'm bored...

There was a young lady called Alice
    Who peed in the Catholic chalice.
    She said "I do this
    Out of great need to piss,
    And not from sectarian malice."
  • Scott_xP said:

Why are they furious? It doesn't really do anything significant.
    Erm, they have principles about freedom?

To be complimentary to the Government for a change, this proposed appointment sounds excellent:

Shhh - don't tell @Leon
    Sorry Ben. I think I off topiced you by mistake, I have now removed it. Easy to press the wrong button in the pub 🍺
    Water off a ducks back old mate - so long as it doesn't affect my credit rating I'm not bothered. Thanks for apologising though - ur forgiven!

I know there have been plenty of approved drugs that have later proved to have very unfortunate side effects, but has that actually been the case with any vaccines?

I remember the whole MMR causing autism rubbish, but I can't think of any real vaccine scandals. I don't want to google it because I know I'll find mostly antivax bullshit.

There is a known, fairly rare adverse effect for particular vaccines:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibody-dependent_enhancement

No evidence for it in the billions of Covid vaccines administered.

I know there have been plenty of approved drugs that have later proved to have very unfortunate side effects, but has that actually been the case with any vaccines?

I don't understand the whole antivax movement at all.

Vaccination, along with the discovery of penicillin, is probably the greatest advance in medical history. I'm sure a lot of anti vaxxers are mentally ill.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    moonshine said:

stodge said:

Yes, I have a friend who isn't too bothered if she gets the bug - triple vaccinated, mwahaha - but is scared of being pinged and spoiling a reunion next week.
    dixiedean said:

algarkirk said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

BY GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS

Not so comforting.

Could I offer Lear

I eat my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life

Or a woman?

They found her vagina
    In North Carolina

Another Alice one...cos I'm bored...

There was a young lady called Alice
    Who peed in the Catholic chalice.
    She said "I do this
    Out of great need to piss,
    And not from sectarian malice."
    That’s a keeper. I’ve got to whisper it in Church on Christmas Eve!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,276
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

algarkirk said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

BY GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS

Not so comforting.

Could I offer Lear

I eat my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life

Ah the real greats do gloom in a way you want to read. I think Bleak House is my favourite novel for example. I could quite easily see myself reading it to cheer up!
    I read that novel after the death of a dear relative and while trying to sort out her unexpectedly complicated probate and estate!
    There is something hugely consoling about great but bleak literature - history, biography, memoir, novels, and maybe especially poetry - in a time of personal strife. Hopkins always does it for me. Tho a bit of Hardy, down in the dumps, is also good. Likewise Donne, Yeats, Eliot, Frost, Celan, Dickinson, Rilke, Plath

And let's not forget Auden, who seems especially auspicious for this low dark decade we are enduring. The Age of Anxiety is how he termed the 1930s - perhaps the closest to where we are now?

And then recall these brilliant final stanzas from his poem The Fall of Rome

Unendowed with wealth or pity,
    Little birds with scarlet legs,
    Sitting on their speckled eggs,
    Eye each flu-infected city.

Altogether elsewhere, vast
    Herds of reindeer move across
    Miles and miles of golden moss,
    Silently and very fast

How can you encapsulate great, scary, sinister global menace and political decay in a few choice words? That's how. It could have been written yesterday, about today. Genius

https://poets.org/poem/fall-rome

• Wonder what the chances are, that on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) PBS will air a wonderful British import - "Christmas at No. 10 Downing Street"?

Featuring the PM and his Missus filling the historic, atmospheric space with all the fun & jollity of the holiday season!

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Dominic Cummings will hold an ‘ask me anything’ event tomorrow at 12noon

Bollocks. I'm teaching. So I can't ask any of the following:

1) Why do you lie about your past to make yourself seem more intelligent and important than you are?

2) Why has everything you've ever done been a catastrophe?

3) Did you really think we were dumb enough to swallow those lies of yours about Durham and Barnard Castle?

4) How the fuck did somebody as thick as you ever get a first - even at Oxford?
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Don’t cow him
    Spoon fed it to us
  • The appeals court has DENIED Trump’s effort to stop the Jan. 6 committee from getting his White House records.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1469056394972307460
  • Wonder what the chances are, that on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) PBS will air a wonderful British import - "Christmas at No. 10 Downing Street"?

Featuring the PM and his Missus filling the historic, atmospheric space with all the fun & jollity of the holiday season!

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Carrie and the Christmas Muppet?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,276

algarkirk said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

BY GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS

Not so comforting.

Could I offer Lear

I eat my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life

Or a woman?

They found her vagina
    In North Carolina

I've just discovered this gem by historian Robert Conquest. Who wrote brilliantly offensive limericks. This one is new to me:

The first man to fuck Brigid Brophy
    Was awarded the Krafft-Ebing trophy,
    Plus £10,000 quid
    Which, for what the chap did,
    Will be widely denounced as a low-fee.

Peerless. Cruel, but peerless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigid_Brophy
    ydoethur said:

1) Why do you lie about your past to make yourself seem more intelligent and important than you are?

3) Did you really think we were dumb enough to swallow those lies of yours about Durham and Barnard Castle?

Disappointed. You can be far ruder than that with us.

Politics Betting Post. Like when I placed my first ever political bet on Libdems for Shropshire North. Are you still convinced it’s a loser?
  • ydoethur said:

You clearly a big fan :-)
  • Flash up on the alerts at work.

Oh great, WWIII on top of everything else. The world is definitely conspiring against the Christmas Parties….
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

BY GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS

Not so comforting.

Could I offer Lear

I eat my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life

Or a woman?

They found her vagina
    In North Carolina

I've just discovered this gem by historian Robert Conquest. Who wrote brilliantly offensive limericks. This one is new to me:

The first man to fuck Brigid Brophy
    Was awarded the Krafft-Ebing trophy,
    Plus £10,000 quid
    Which, for what the chap did,
    Will be widely denounced as a low-fee.

Peerless. Cruel, but peerless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigid_Brophy
    PBs traditional ‘Thursday Night Drunk Tank’ continues.

And it’s Live folks. Anything can happen.

ydoethur said:

Disappointed. You can be far ruder than that with us.

Politics Betting Post. Like when I placed my first ever political bet on Libdems for Shropshire North. Are you still convinced it’s a loser?
    Not nearly as convinced as I was :smile:

But I still think the Tories will win.

And I certainly stand by my prediction that if they don't Johnson is finished.

ydoethur said:

You clearly a big fan :-)
    When it comes to DC, I am a full AC unit.
This discussion has been closed.