Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Snap poll finds more than half saying BJ should resign – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,186
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Actually a profound question from Beth Rigby

Is this it, forever?

I'm not watching/listening.

What was the answer?
    A sort-of-mumbled "hopefully not"

Then Vallance said "I do understand people might be a bit deflated by all this"

Which made me laugh, darkly
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021

In all honesty if O-Mike-Ron is that transmissible, vax passports aren't going to do diddly squat.

Point surely is to get the 6m laggards vaccinated. Vaxports will push some into vacination - vaccination is expected to reduce the severity. Worth it.
    I think he said vaccination or test...well the state injectable idiots will just fake tests.

It probably shove some to get vaccinated, but in all honesty, those digging in their heels very difficult to make them shift.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited December 2021
    Sensible and moderate proposals by the PM tonight. Vaccine passports for nightclubs and large venues and facemasks for cinemas and theatres given Omicron but crucially no new lockdown
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,303
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Is this it, forever?

What was the answer?

Thx
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

On topic, the worst thing from this polling is this.

Three in ten say they are less likely to follow Covid rules as a result (29%).

This rises to a third of Labour voters (33%) and those aged 18-34 (33%) who say the same.

Over half say they are just as likely to follow the rules (54%)

Whatever Boris Johnson announces tonight will be ignored by large parts of the country making us less secure.

He needs to go and be replaced by someone with the credibility and authority to launch you new Covid-19 measures.

Except it wouldn't matter if Jesus were to descend from heaven to promote any new Covid measures. First of all, the country, or a large enough fraction of it at any rate, has had enough of Covid measures and will happily ignore them if they think they can get away with it. And secondly, there's probably nothing short of a full lockdown that will do anything to seriously impede the latest version of this bloody virus, it's questionable as to whether or not even that will work, and neither the economy nor wider society can sustain an annual cycle of hokey cokey house arrest for the next thousand years.

The Government can plausibly get away with yet more masks (useless) and WFH (not useful enough,) and after that it is out of options. Reinstating large scale business support and putting about five or six million people back on furlough until various roadmap steps between April and July, let alone shutting all the schools again for the Winter, is a non-starter. And if declining to go to those lengths means, to put it bluntly, tent hospitals and doctors having to decide which Covid patient gets a ventilator and which one gets a big shot of morphine, then that's what's going to end up happening. After all, selectively abandoning non-Covid patients to perish through lack of care capacity is already a reality in the NHS. Why should selectively abandoning Covid patients to perish as well seem so unimaginable?

Basically, if we are fortunate and this latest wave of the disease is moderate then we can all breathe a sigh of relief, and if we aren't and it's bad then there are no workable strategies left for avoiding a massacre. Draconian restrictions are over. Finished.
    I'm not sure it's as "mild" as we all hope

Benedict Barclay
    @BarclayBenedict
    ·
    2m
    Replying to
    @BarclayBenedict
    The total number of people in hospital with Covid is 4,252, which is very sharply up on 2,550 last week.

Gauteng has fallen from 72% of cases to 59%, which shows that cases are now rising faster in other provinces.
    The report from a couple of days ago was that 76% of the admissions testing positive with Covid were incidental infections i.e. the patient was not being admitted with Covid.
    I believe that turned out to be wishful thinking bolleaux
    Really? Source?
    I found it last night down some 3am rabbit hole, I fear I can't find it again. Feel free to ignore, or not

Anyway, I just don't believe South African hospitals are taking in loads more people with broken limbs who just "happen" to have Covid as well

From yesterday

"South Africa's Covid Hospital Admissions More Than Double In A Day

"South Africa Covid Cases: According to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases 383 people have been admitted to hospital with the disease in the last 24 hours compared with 175 in the preceding period."

https://twitter.com/KatePri35772611/status/1468547278361092098?s=20

BUT here is some more evidence it might be milder

"Worst day yet for hospital admissions in South Africa. #Omicron Cases and Daily Admissions are 3x what we saw with Delta. But the silver lining is that ICU is still 72% below the most applicable Delta comparison period. How many will end up in ICU is the question. #COVID19"

https://twitter.com/farrmacro/status/1468605472584437761?s=20
    Given the test positivity rate in South Africa is more than 20%, why does it surprise you that people with other ailments (cancer, eye surgery, gunshot wounds, kidney disease, etc.) might have Covid?
    Enough people are now going through the whole grisly, inevitable process - infection, admission, then on to ventilation and ICU - for us to know the surge in Gauteng is real and it is Covid

There are also reports of the first deaths circling Twitter, and that statistical leap in excess deaths to consider (which might of course be random, or not, or Delta, who the F knows?)

OK time to watch Boris scratch the blackboard
    So: time to nail your colours to the mast:
    So you think we should be strengthening measures against Covid (moving towards Lockdown), or continuing with current measures?
    I said earlier that I think we should stick with what we have, and instead focus on surging the booster drive, and prepping the NHS for a big wave of new cases between now and late Jan

I fear a grim and foolish logic is, however, leading us to Plan B, and then Lockdown

And some on here are still saying Oh that will be fine, you stay home and eat chocolates.

Jesus F Christ. For many many people the last winter lockdown was pretty much unbearable
    It will not be fine. But neither is having a very high rate of hospitalisation and deaths.
    You fuck people and their businesses over too much, you run out of money, the health service collapses, you get the deaths anyway.
    The odd thing is: we have been at war; in many ways a much worse situation, and your scenario did not come to pass.
    When the country was at war the Government didn't respond by telling everybody to sit at home all the bloody time.
    They did, when it was needed. 'Stay put if the invader comes.' 'Holiday at home' to prevent 'unnecessary travel'. 'Coughs and sneezes spread diseases'. .
    I’m old enough to remember having been told to hide under the kitchen table in the event of the four minute warning.
    Not before taping brown paper over the windows I hope
    Whitewash against the flash, surely. Brown paper was 1930s ARP.
    Good point, I'd have been in real difficulties after a nuclear air blast if I had made that elementary mistake
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

MaxPB said:

Over in the Commons, Tory MPs are shouting "Resign!" at Sajid Javid for announcing Covid restrictions. He's spent months trying to appease them, but in the end, he's been forced to pick a side

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1468646544362647557

Good, he fucking deserves it. Time for the letters to go in and get rid of Boris and put an actual bloody Conservative in charge and tell the science wankers, the NHS wankers to get fucked and deal with it.
    The problem is the public are very much on the side of restrictions and this is seen in the way both Sturgeon and Drakeford retain their popularity and Labour will support them, and may even want to go further

The conservatives are largely out of step with public opinion on this
    Spot on.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998

Danger with the timing of this could be:

"The PM dealt with his office Christmas party situation by cancelling everyone else's."

https://twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/1468648390393307141

This is why this is all rally sh*t timing. *If* these measures are necessary, then they're already holed below the waterline for many. And it is a totally unforced measure.
    He's got to go. There's just no two ways about it, whichever side of the argument you're coming from.
    Well, I'm glad to say that I was never a fan of his in the first place. The Garden Bridge debacle is just one of many examples of why he was unsuited to be PM. But many of his opponents waste effort attacking him in ways that don't matter to those who voted for him. They knew who Boris was when they voted for him.

The recent issues are very different, as it shows wider fuckwitterisms across his government. It's not just him.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,626
    My personal theory is that the left are supporting these anti-liberty measures as revenge against the population for rejecting them in every election since 2005. They think voters are stupid for voting in Conservative or Conservative-led governments since 2010, and also for supporting Brexit in 2016, and so they deserve to have some of their freedoms taken away. They're fond of the experts, on the other hand, because they're more likely to be on their side of the political spectrum.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

Is this it, forever?

I mean she's right, if we need to have measures at this stage they will need to be permanent. There's no end date to COVID in a post-vaccine world, it is always going to exist and we're always going to be in a race to get a new vaccine out against whatever the latest variant is.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Cicero said:

Ooh.

Largest Labour lead we have recorded since 2019 GE.

Full Results (8 Dec):

Labour 38% (+2)
    Conservative 34% (-4)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (+2)
    Green 6% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 6 Dec

https://t.co/2v5aOdBOfD https://t.co/zRYeEdB0Zm

But that’s only a 4% lead for Labour, not 10%, so nothing to worry about.

(Tee hee)
    The momentum is looking terrifying for the Tories. This is Black Wednesday on steroids.

When even Ant and Dec are desttoying BoJo with open contempt then you know that this has really cut through.

If Shropshire North is as bad at Chesham and Amersham then panic is going to lead to a rapid end to the "World King".

Then things will get really interesting.
    Only a few weeks since I said that the PM’s tenure would end in disgrace, and even I wasn’t expecting things to move so quickly. It’s just as well you can’t add -damus to the end of my name.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Is this it, forever?

What was the answer?

At least one of the journos has actually asked an interesting question.
  • Options

Off to the pub.

Bye!

As I am off to see Alestorm again on Sarurday, one of their (many) drinking songs feels appropriate:

One More Drink at the Sunken Norwegian
    One More Drink before we have to die
    One More Drink at the Sunken Norwegian
    Raise up yer tankards of ale to the sky
  • Options
    RobD said:

In all honesty if O-Mike-Ron is that transmissible, vax passports aren't going to do diddly squat.

If I were to guess, I think it's being done just to increase vaccine takeup.
    That was always the only reason to do it, but it should have been done three months ago
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

My personal theory is that the left are supporting these anti-liberty measures as revenge against the population for rejecting them in every election since 2005. They think voters are stupid for voting in Conservative or Conservative-led governments since 2010, and also for supporting Brexit in 2016, and so they deserve to have some of their freedoms taken away. They're fond of the experts, on the other hand, because they're more likely to be on their side of the political spectrum.

Does left just mean people who disagree with you?
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485

Cookie said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sajid Javid speaking in the HOC

1m infections forecast here by month end
    That implies no increase in the current rate.
    50,000 * 30 = 1.5m

So, yes, 1m infections by year end is not some wild outlandish forecast.
    If it is cumulative then it is obvious. We are already on 50k a day. Doesn't make sense, it's not news
    As we've been saying all day, this is to move the media agenda on, there's no reason to have plan b.
    It does seem like quite a big song and dance for quite a small change in the restrictions.
    This is not a small change. Vaccine passports. Mandatory facemasks. This is back to square 1, fuck you Joe Public you are our bitch now stuff.
    Mandatory facemasks, not enforced.
    Working from home, being requested.
    NHS Covid pass with either vaccination or a negative test which is free and takes a few mins for big events.

This is all small beer on the civil liberties front.

Far bigger issues around nationality and judicial review going on this week where the executive is really grabbing ongoing and dangerous powers.
    Not small beer at all. Nobody has the right to ask for my personal health details. It's pointless anyway - either others present are vaccinated, in which case there's no problem, or they aren't, and it's their problem. I just won't go until this nonsense is over. And if anyone thinks I'm going to sit for 3 hours in a cinema or theatre wearing a mask they can think again.

But agree about the last comment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Is this it, forever?

What was the answer?

Honestly, someone needs to punch Boris in the face really, really hard, repeatedly.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Boris hasn't watched Stratton's resignation speeach but he's very grateful for everything she's done.

I bet he is!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sensible and moderate proposals by the PM tonight. Vaccine passports for nightclubs and large venues and facemasks for cinemas and theatres given Omicron but crucially no new lockdown

The statement by Sajid Javid is being panned by his own mps who largely seem to be out of touch with public opinion
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,750
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

This rises to a third of Labour voters (33%) and those aged 18-34 (33%) who say the same.

Whatever Boris Johnson announces tonight will be ignored by large parts of the country making us less secure.

He needs to go and be replaced by someone with the credibility and authority to launch you new Covid-19 measures.

Except it wouldn't matter if Jesus were to descend from heaven to promote any new Covid measures. First of all, the country, or a large enough fraction of it at any rate, has had enough of Covid measures and will happily ignore them if they think they can get away with it. And secondly, there's probably nothing short of a full lockdown that will do anything to seriously impede the latest version of this bloody virus, it's questionable as to whether or not even that will work, and neither the economy nor wider society can sustain an annual cycle of hokey cokey house arrest for the next thousand years.

The Government can plausibly get away with yet more masks (useless) and WFH (not useful enough,) and after that it is out of options. Reinstating large scale business support and putting about five or six million people back on furlough until various roadmap steps between April and July, let alone shutting all the schools again for the Winter, is a non-starter. And if declining to go to those lengths means, to put it bluntly, tent hospitals and doctors having to decide which Covid patient gets a ventilator and which one gets a big shot of morphine, then that's what's going to end up happening. After all, selectively abandoning non-Covid patients to perish through lack of care capacity is already a reality in the NHS. Why should selectively abandoning Covid patients to perish as well seem so unimaginable?

Basically, if we are fortunate and this latest wave of the disease is moderate then we can all breathe a sigh of relief, and if we aren't and it's bad then there are no workable strategies left for avoiding a massacre. Draconian restrictions are over. Finished.

Benedict Barclay
    @BarclayBenedict
    ·
    2m
    Replying to
    @BarclayBenedict
    The total number of people in hospital with Covid is 4,252, which is very sharply up on 2,550 last week.

Gauteng has fallen from 72% of cases to 59%, which shows that cases are now rising faster in other provinces.
    The report from a couple of days ago was that 76% of the admissions testing positive with Covid were incidental infections i.e. the patient was not being admitted with Covid.
    Really? Source?
    I found it last night down some 3am rabbit hole, I fear I can't find it again. Feel free to ignore, or not

Anyway, I just don't believe South African hospitals are taking in loads more people with broken limbs who just "happen" to have Covid as well

From yesterday

"South Africa Covid Cases: According to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases 383 people have been admitted to hospital with the disease in the last 24 hours compared with 175 in the preceding period."

"Worst day yet for hospital admissions in South Africa. #Omicron Cases and Daily Admissions are 3x what we saw with Delta. But the silver lining is that ICU is still 72% below the most applicable Delta comparison period. How many will end up in ICU is the question. #COVID19"

Given the test positivity rate in South Africa is more than 20%, why does it surprise you that people with other ailments (cancer, eye surgery, gunshot wounds, kidney disease, etc.) might have Covid?
    Enough people are now going through the whole grisly, inevitable process - infection, admission, then on to ventilation and ICU - for us to know the surge in Gauteng is real and it is Covid

There are also reports of the first deaths circling Twitter, and that statistical leap in excess deaths to consider (which might of course be random, or not, or Delta, who the F knows?)

So you think we should be strengthening measures against Covid (moving towards Lockdown), or continuing with current measures?
    I said earlier that I think we should stick with what we have, and instead focus on surging the booster drive, and prepping the NHS for a big wave of new cases between now and late Jan

I fear a grim and foolish logic is, however, leading us to Plan B, and then Lockdown

And some on here are still saying Oh that will be fine, you stay home and eat chocolates.

Jesus F Christ. For many many people the last winter lockdown was pretty much unbearable
    It will not be fine. But neither is having a very high rate of hospitalisation and deaths.
    You fuck people and their businesses over too much, you run out of money, the health service collapses, you get the deaths anyway.
    The odd thing is: we have been at war; in many ways a much worse situation, and your scenario did not come to pass.
    When the country was at war the Government didn't respond by telling everybody to sit at home all the bloody time.
    They did, when it was needed. 'Stay put if the invader comes.' 'Holiday at home' to prevent 'unnecessary travel'. 'Coughs and sneezes spread diseases'. .
    I’m old enough to remember having been told to hide under the kitchen table in the event of the four minute warning.
    Not before taping brown paper over the windows I hope
    Whitewash against the flash, surely. Brown paper was 1930s ARP.
    Good point, I'd have been in real difficulties after a nuclear air blast if I had made that elementary mistake
    It may be that both were good - whitewash on the outside. I don't remember the details ... I was staying bwteeen two major nuclear weapons bases at the time so ....
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Leon said:

Yes, Plan B is Plan Fucking Pointless
    The restrictions have been next to useless in Wales and Scotland. This will make 0 difference.

Which makes the timing more suspicious tbh
  • Options
    YES, I AM A TINY BIT DEFLATED
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Is this it, forever?

What was the answer?

Honestly, someone needs to punch Boris in the face really, really hard, repeatedly.
    Now, now. Not good. Have a cold drink.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

MaxPB said:

Over in the Commons, Tory MPs are shouting "Resign!" at Sajid Javid for announcing Covid restrictions. He's spent months trying to appease them, but in the end, he's been forced to pick a side

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1468646544362647557

Good, he fucking deserves it. Time for the letters to go in and get rid of Boris and put an actual bloody Conservative in charge and tell the science wankers, the NHS wankers to get fucked and deal with it.
    Would also need to tell the general public, most of whom support the restrictions, to get fucked and deal with it. I'm not sure that will play out well in the next GE tbh.
    But like me the public will do what we are told to, but it doesn’t mean we are not as deflated as possible with all plans in our head for Christmas meet ups.

As it stands I can still travel to Yorkshire. Still go in pubs to meet people there. And take good walks with people too, jumping in puddles like Peppa Pig.

I’m trying to think positively 😞
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Aslan said:

For all those supporting BoJo - what success has he delivered over the last 2 years?

I am not supporting him, but he got us out of the EU, got a trade deal that protected our sovereignty more than anyone said was possible, and got us a vaccine program earlier than anyone else in Europe
    The one that ended the United Kingdom as a trading block and forces GB and NI companies to have export licences to sell things to each other?

If that's protecting the sovereignty of the UK I'd hate to see what not ptotecting it looks like.
    Theresa May's backstop.

Infinitely worse.
    Perhaps, but isn't relevant to the argument @Aslan was promoting. He said that the current trade deal - which dissolved the UK trading area - "protected our sovereignty". I now need an export license to sell products in my own country. How has that protected our sovereignty to do things like not need an export license to trade inside our own country...

I don't need you to come back in with alternative takes on external sovereignty - you have one perspective on that, I have another. But the ending of the UK as a trading nation is indisputable - we are now split in two with GB as one trading zone and NI as another trading zone. Usually deals that protect a country's sovereignty doesn't split a chunk off it.
    It did protect our sovereignty because we had Article 16 so could override it. The ending is not indisputable, we'll see what the situation is post-Article 16.

There are plenty of countries that have had chunks split off, where its convenient to do so, its far from unprecedented.
    On that logic while in the EU our sovereignty was protected because we could always leave.

Either in the EU we were sovereign because we could leave and there is no compromise of sovereignty over NI because we can invoke A16; or in the EU we were not sovereign and we are not sovereign now because there is no free movement of goods between GB and NI.

You are a logical debater. Which is it; it can't be both.

We were always technically sovereign, we could only exercise that sovereignty by invoking Article 50 so we rightly did when people wanted to exercise that sovereignty.

Same deal with Article 16 - and I think it should be invoked too.
    So as it stands we are not sovereign because we haven't exercised it. Is that right?
    If memory serves, you've been trying variants (so to speak) of this line for a couple of years now, and I'm sorry, but I think it's a stupid argument. If we our sovereignty within the EU is only present because we have the option to leave it, then we clearly aren't sovereign while we're in it, and the fact that we assented (implicitly) to that reality is irrelevant.

He who [has to] break[s] a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom.
    Apology accepted. Although your point is wrong. We were always sovereign whether we decided to exercise it or not. Of course we made compromises but did so as a sovereign nation.

But that is not the point. If we were not sovereign within the EU because we hadn't "proved" it by leaving, then the NI deal means we are not sovereign because as of this moment we haven't exercised A16. It can't be both.

If you think we weren't sovereign while in the EU and aren't sovereign now because the NI deal means that there is no free movement of goods between GB and NI that is fair enough. But you can't argue for one and not the other.
    We were always sovereign for both. The question is if you wanted to exercise your sovereignty or not.

The English and Welsh voted to exercise their sovereignty, hence invoking Article 50.
    The NI did not, hence the special arrangements.

Now if the NI wish to exercise theirs, then A16 is the right answer for them, just as it was for the UK as a whole. For the same reasons. Using the same logic.

No inconsistencies.
    Excellent. So we were sovereign while in the EU: tick. And we are sovereign with this NI deal: tick.

So why all the fuss about leaving the EU to reclaim our sovereignty.
    Because we wanted to exercise our sovereignty.

Not just have it in abeyance.

Philip

I remember you telling me that the main benefit of leaving the EU was to get our sovereignty back.

Now you are telling me that we had it all the time!

So why leave?
    So we could exercise it.

If you only have sovereignty so long as you can't exercise it, and you want to exercise it but can't, then do you have it.
    So we only have something if we use it? Obviously we "could" exercise it, we did. So obviously we had it.

Is this some weird version of "having your cake and eating it?" ....or because we don't use a nuclear weapon we don't have it?

No its the polar opposite.

If you're not bothered about using your sovereignty then its OK to keep it in abeyance in something like the EU or NI Protocol, so long as you have an exit mechanism like A50 or A16.

If you are bothered about using it then you need to invoke the relevant Article first before you can.

How is that not clear?
  • Options
    Leon said:

RobD said:

That was always the only reason to do it, but it should have been done three months ago
    All of this is just to crowd Brexit out of the news, obvs.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

pigeon said:

Full mask mandates back.

ping said:

Just been to my local petrol station/express convenience store.

“Masks are mandatory” signs up

1/2 staff masked

2/7 customers masked

People ain’t complying.

Flowery pillowcases or blue paper do nothing useful to stop Covid, and everyone knows it.

Pointless something-must-be-done-ism.
    "Everyone knows it."

Well, I disagree., That means either you are mistaken, or you are, as I do not 'know' it.

Anti-maskers are only one step down from anti-vaxxers.
    Get fucked Josias. Seriously, you're a fucking fool.
    Perhaps Max, just perhaps, you are wrong on this.
    COVID is endemic, you pro-masking wankers have got no end date. You're walking the nation into a new forever end-state. This is where we're at with COVID, it isn't going to change. Get that into your idiotic head.
    Instead of foul-mouthed swearing at people on here maybe go and make yourself a cup of tea, go for a walk, do something pleasant. Rather than simply spreading unpleasantness on here.
    You can get fucked as well tbh, you pro masking, pro lockdown fools are leading us all into a new end-state. There's no coming back from this because COVID is already endemic in the UK and across the world. Any measures now will have to be permanent.
    There's no need for that.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Witty was massively downbeat there.

I thought it was telling he said these measures signed off by the cabinet.....I think he wanted to go a lot further.

He knows the pressure the NHS is under right now with an Omicron wave is on its way. We are in for a tremendously difficult winter
    And we have allowed massive pressure and a massive backlog to build in the NHS by month after month after month of 40k+ new cases per day. The laughably dubbed "exit wave".
  • Options
    Leon said:

Now you know how your blow up dolls feel.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,985

Andy_JS said:

I think the enthusiastic support for lockdown measures from those on the left will eventually come back to haunt them one day.

It is not the Left driving this. It is Leave-voting pensioners who never go to nightclubs and never take foreign holidays.
    Indeed. Left wing major cities are dovish and buzzing.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Killer question from Pippa

With a stiletto at the end referring to his flat - what does she know?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,626
    In a way, I wish Tony Blair was still prime minister today, after 24 years, because I'm sure he would have had a much more optimistic approach to the pandemic and the best way to deal with it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Early evening all :)

One or two getting a bit over-excited on here this evening. Tonight's measures are a very long way away from this time last year - the Working from Home guidelines will have little or no impact and the mask wearing - if you want to attend an outdoor event without having to worry about crowds, I'd recommend a Lingfield all-weather meeting during the week.

I'm struck by the fact it was barely two years ago, Johnson was swept back into power on a tide of popular acclaim and 44% of the vote. It's a salient lesson of how the fortunes of politics change - oddly enough, I wonder whether, having coveted the job for so long, Johnson believes if it was all worth the effort. The virus could have happened on someone else's watch and he might have been the political beneficiary but it happened on his watch and he's the one copping the flak.

"Be careful what you wish for", as the saying goes.
  • Options

I thought it was telling he said these measures signed off by the cabinet.....I think he wanted to go a lot further.

They've completely bottled it on vaccine passports. Just get a lateral flow test in the very rare event that you will need one, and you can still continue to do anything. Absolutely nothing there to make life substantially difficult for those who fuel the spread of Covid and the clogging up of the NHS by refusing to get vaccinated and refusing to let their children get vaccinated. No-one who has so far refused to get vaccinated is going to bat an eyelid, and rates of vaccination are going to stay far too low as a consequence. Pandering to the anti-vaxxers.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,303
    Is there a review period for this. July 2025, say?
  • Options

Leon said:

Now you know how your blow up dolls feel.
    Even the dolls refuse to go round for a second ride?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Is this it, forever?

What was the answer?

It was Vallance and Whitty which took Rigby's question. And neither was really able to say No, this is not Forever, tho they strived to be mildly optimistic in the long run

Boris is actually handling the presser OK, it is not the shitshow I expected. It is nonetheless horribly depressing

Another Christmas, another winter, another year, another variant, another decade....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Andy_JS said:

In a way, I wish Tony Blair was still prime minister today, after 24 years, because I'm sure he would have had a much more optimistic approach to the pandemic and the best way to deal with it.

Cameron or Blair would have both been on the ball with this.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Leon said:

I suspect that Plan B is really just to prepare us for a lockdown.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    The biggest issue with the Xmas Party stuff is not the hypocrisy, although that matters, but that if people do not trust the government then they will not follow the rules that are needed to help get us through this pandemic with minimal loss of life. I don't know anyone who wants these restrictions - we just want to live in a society where the virus is taken seriously and we aren't leaving those who are already the most at risk to die. People generally support restrictions not out of spite to those who voted for Brexit, not because they are antifreedom, not because they are killjoys - but because they have been shown to reduce deaths and people don't want their loved ones to die.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I feel the dam is finally bursting on Johnson.

Laura K is spectacularly good for a change. She sounds angry. It's the Scottish Presbyterian coming out. The inter cuts between Laura and Allegra is worthy of a Bafta editing award
  • Options
    If I was a Tory MP I'd be sending a letter to Graham Brady tonight. This is absurd.
    Andy_JS said:

He was eager for ID Cards, Detention without Trial and much more even without a pandemic (!)
  • Options
    I see the NHS app has crashed.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Benedict Barclay
    @BarclayBenedict
    ·
    2m
    Replying to
    @BarclayBenedict

Really? Source?

From yesterday

Whatever happened to kitchen tables?
    I'm typing this drivel on my family's old kitchen table, formica top, metal legs, which I use as my desk.

Don't know what your lot did with yours'.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Is this it, forever?

What was the answer?

Not sure that is going to achieve anything
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

These measures are pretty much what we have in Scotland already.
    HYUFD in "SNP are sensible and moderate" shocker.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Lobby making little or no attempt to question the assumptions behind the projections of hospital cases, deaths. But let them loose on a party 48 weeks ago, and look at them salivate.
  • Options
    glw said:

Leon said:

I suspect that Plan B is really just to prepare us for a lockdown.
    Yep. Whitty made that fairly obvious with his scary charts and hints of inevitable further measures if the hospitalisations pile up
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

HYUFD said:

These measures are pretty much what we have in Scotland already.
    HYUFD in "SNP are sensible and moderate" shocker.
    The changes and restrictions were “irreversible”.

Hmm
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Lobby making little or no attempt to question the assumptions behind the projections of hospital cases, deaths. But let them loose on a party 48 weeks ago, and look at them salivate.

The lobby love and are good at scandal...science and maths...toooo confusing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

RobD said:

But it doesn't work, countries that have used them don't have necessarily higher vaccination levels than the UK which hasn't used them. We're all hovering in or around 70% full vaccination and 73% partial vaccination. Only Portugal has really gone beyond that and they did that with a really good public education and awareness programme early on. Vaccine passports also reduce transmission of the virus among vaccine refusers which leads to all of them getting it all at once in the winter as we can see in Europe. Germany currently has double the UK death rate yet they've got more of their population fully vaccinated than us, they don't have the same level of natural immunity which is the only way out of this in the end. We all get some level of natural immunity, either the easy way after the vaccine or the hard way by not taking it.
  • Options
    Do the mirror feel they have a lockdown Party boris attended? Or is it lefty BS?
  • Options
    What does Plan B mean for gym attendance?
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Ooh.

Largest Labour lead we have recorded since 2019 GE.

Full Results (8 Dec):

Labour 38% (+2)
    Conservative 34% (-4)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (+2)
    Green 6% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 6 Dec

https://t.co/2v5aOdBOfD https://t.co/zRYeEdB0Zm

But that’s only a 4% lead for Labour, not 10%, so nothing to worry about.

(Tee hee)
    The momentum is looking terrifying for the Tories. This is Black Wednesday on steroids.

When even Ant and Dec are desttoying BoJo with open contempt then you know that this has really cut through.
    What do you mean even? They are mass market light entertainment gods who are watched by millions of people who don't do politics but probably had happy thoughts about Boris.

Which is why the building takedowns by Ant or Dec have been so brutal. As you say, destroying him by open contempt.

https://twitter.com/ryanjl74/status/1468349863234519042?s=21
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    This is how Allegra started:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/14/attacks-by-pms-ousted-aide-left-new-press-chief-in-tears
    It's odd purely because it was her job to be briefed against.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Andy_JS said:

There are plenty of older Conservative voters who support restrictions and plenty of left-leaning younger people who strongly oppose them.

I don't know why you want to have a whine at the "left" all the time these days.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,177

I see the NHS app has crashed.

I’m glad I downloaded my passport earlier.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Is this it, forever?

What was the answer?

Not sure that is going to achieve anything
    Well, it tells us something about Max...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Aslan said:

For all those supporting BoJo - what success has he delivered over the last 2 years?

I am not supporting him, but he got us out of the EU, got a trade deal that protected our sovereignty more than anyone said was possible, and got us a vaccine program earlier than anyone else in Europe
    The one that ended the United Kingdom as a trading block and forces GB and NI companies to have export licences to sell things to each other?

If that's protecting the sovereignty of the UK I'd hate to see what not ptotecting it looks like.
    Theresa May's backstop.

Infinitely worse.
    Perhaps, but isn't relevant to the argument @Aslan was promoting. He said that the current trade deal - which dissolved the UK trading area - "protected our sovereignty". I now need an export license to sell products in my own country. How has that protected our sovereignty to do things like not need an export license to trade inside our own country...

I don't need you to come back in with alternative takes on external sovereignty - you have one perspective on that, I have another. But the ending of the UK as a trading nation is indisputable - we are now split in two with GB as one trading zone and NI as another trading zone. Usually deals that protect a country's sovereignty doesn't split a chunk off it.
    It did protect our sovereignty because we had Article 16 so could override it. The ending is not indisputable, we'll see what the situation is post-Article 16.

There are plenty of countries that have had chunks split off, where its convenient to do so, its far from unprecedented.
    On that logic while in the EU our sovereignty was protected because we could always leave.

Either in the EU we were sovereign because we could leave and there is no compromise of sovereignty over NI because we can invoke A16; or in the EU we were not sovereign and we are not sovereign now because there is no free movement of goods between GB and NI.

You are a logical debater. Which is it; it can't be both.

We were always technically sovereign, we could only exercise that sovereignty by invoking Article 50 so we rightly did when people wanted to exercise that sovereignty.

Same deal with Article 16 - and I think it should be invoked too.
    So as it stands we are not sovereign because we haven't exercised it. Is that right?
    If memory serves, you've been trying variants (so to speak) of this line for a couple of years now, and I'm sorry, but I think it's a stupid argument. If we our sovereignty within the EU is only present because we have the option to leave it, then we clearly aren't sovereign while we're in it, and the fact that we assented (implicitly) to that reality is irrelevant.

He who [has to] break[s] a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom.
    Apology accepted. Although your point is wrong. We were always sovereign whether we decided to exercise it or not. Of course we made compromises but did so as a sovereign nation.

But that is not the point. If we were not sovereign within the EU because we hadn't "proved" it by leaving, then the NI deal means we are not sovereign because as of this moment we haven't exercised A16. It can't be both.

If you think we weren't sovereign while in the EU and aren't sovereign now because the NI deal means that there is no free movement of goods between GB and NI that is fair enough. But you can't argue for one and not the other.
    We were always sovereign for both. The question is if you wanted to exercise your sovereignty or not.

The English and Welsh voted to exercise their sovereignty, hence invoking Article 50.
    The NI did not, hence the special arrangements.

Now if the NI wish to exercise theirs, then A16 is the right answer for them, just as it was for the UK as a whole. For the same reasons. Using the same logic.

No inconsistencies.
    Excellent. So we were sovereign while in the EU: tick. And we are sovereign with this NI deal: tick.

So why all the fuss about leaving the EU to reclaim our sovereignty.
    Because we wanted to exercise our sovereignty.

Not just have it in abeyance.

Philip

I remember you telling me that the main benefit of leaving the EU was to get our sovereignty back.

Now you are telling me that we had it all the time!

So why leave?
    So we could exercise it.

If you only have sovereignty so long as you can't exercise it, and you want to exercise it but can't, then do you have it.
    So we only have something if we use it? Obviously we "could" exercise it, we did. So obviously we had it.

Is this some weird version of "having your cake and eating it?" ....or because we don't use a nuclear weapon we don't have it?

No its the polar opposite.

If you're not bothered about using your sovereignty then its OK to keep it in abeyance in something like the EU or NI Protocol, so long as you have an exit mechanism like A50 or A16.

If you are bothered about using it then you need to invoke the relevant Article first before you can.

How is that not clear?
    But I am not bothered about using it. There are more important things to worry about, like Covid, the NHS, paying back borrowed monies, trying to keep our trade figures up to where they were, you know, and of course not dying (even though I am old and I will die sooner or later...)
  • Options
    I am having such a massive deja vu. It's just like last year.
  • Options
    note that Boris Johnson has switched in just days from promising a normal Christmas to a Christmas that is “as close as possible to normal”
  • Options

Do the mirror feel they have a lockdown Party boris attended? Or is it lefty BS?

The journos clearly have a sniff of some event that took place in his flat.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,255
    Just been boostered with Moderna, nearly five months after my second AZ dose.

Why are we messing around with distractions (such as what circle of hell requires a vaxport, and which only a facemask) when the message should be very clearly to vaccinate early and often?

The vaccine strategy is being completely undermined by the government's own actions and messages.
  • Options
    Tis quite funny watching Max "Exit Wave" PB fall apart.
  • Options
    Heh.

• Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    dr_spyn said:

What is the problem with a precautionary principle approach? If they are wrong - people work from home for a few weeks and we're wrong about hospitalisations. If they are right - people work from home and we save lives. The opposite situation is, if they didn't do this and the virus does increase hospitalisations and deaths - we see thousands of unnecessary dead - not just of covid but of those who may not get other treatment due to NHS overstretch.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Going to a football match means either proving you are vaccinated or taking a LFT prior to entry - is that right? How practical is that at the turnstiles?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You're early love, this evening's cabaret turn starts at half 7.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Omnium said:

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Benedict Barclay
    @BarclayBenedict
    ·
    2m
    Replying to
    @BarclayBenedict

Really? Source?

From yesterday

Whatever happened to kitchen tables?
    I'm typing this drivel on my family's old kitchen table, formica top, metal legs, which I use as my desk.

Don't know what your lot did with yours'.
    I do recall a kitchen table when I was young. It had fold out flaps and the steel mechanisms that sprung them into place were like Normandy beach defenses.
  • Options

Felt like they have a story brewing.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

But it doesn't work, countries that have used them don't have necessarily higher vaccination levels than the UK which hasn't used them. We're all hovering in or around 70% full vaccination and 73% partial vaccination. Only Portugal has really gone beyond that and they did that with a really good public education and awareness programme early on. Vaccine passports also reduce transmission of the virus among vaccine refusers which leads to all of them getting it all at once in the winter as we can see in Europe. Germany currently has double the UK death rate yet they've got more of their population fully vaccinated than us, they don't have the same level of natural immunity which is the only way out of this in the end. We all get some level of natural immunity, either the easy way after the vaccine or the hard way by not taking it.
    Yes, maybe

Certainly vaxports seem irrelevant now

This is a bleak bleak moment
  • Options
    Roger said:

His TV performance is absolutely sick making; It could hardly be worse. He's crucifying himself with his arrogance. Think Ceausescu on the balcony on his final day on earth

You sound impressed!

I stumbled on something earlier that I though might interest you. I was looking at the etymology for 'rogue'; it's uncertain, but there's a theory that it's a shortened form of roger (with a long o and hard g like rogue - not like Roger. but still!) which, according to lots of places on the internet but I can't find an original source for the claim, meant:

"thieves' slang for a begging vagabond who pretends to be a poor scholar from Oxford or Cambridge"
  • Options

it's deja vu all over again...

:smiley:

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Boris now looking like he doesn’t want to be there.

Saying we have less restrictions than some places sound lot like in Mars Attacks - they’ve blown up congress, but you still have half your government working for you.
  • Options
    One thing I'm slightly peeved about: Mrs J and I booked our booster doses when we first became eligible, 18 days ago. The date we got was for the 16th, in 8 days time. In the meantime, the media is full of people younger than use getting dates for tomorrow, or in a few days. When I go to the booster pages, there is no availability in my area (Cambridge) until well after the 18th.

So, is Cambridge poorly provided for with boosters? Or am I being penalised for booking early?
  • Options

jonny83 said:

He knows the pressure the NHS is under right now with an Omicron wave is on its way. We are in for a tremendously difficult winter
    And we have allowed massive pressure and a massive backlog to build in the NHS by month after month after month of 40k+ new cases per day. The laughably dubbed "exit wave".
    France, with their vaccine passports and permanent plan b measures have got 12k in hospital with COVID right now, today. The UK has got 7k in hospital with COVID. The Netherland, another one who dodge the exit wave, have got more people in hospital with COVID than they did in their first wave. Germany, another one to dodge the exit wave, have got more people in the ICU than in either of the previous waves. Switzerland (my soon to be home), dodged the exit wave, have got more people in the ICU than ever before.
  • Options

What does Plan B mean for gym attendance?

Mandatory gimp masks
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,233

Boris now looking like he doesn’t want to be there.

A sensation I have had every time I have looked at him in the last 26 months, TBF.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

To say masks do nothing is obviously completely wrong and verging on anti-vax-like conspiracy theories.

A full and correct deployment of the Horse Battery :)
  • Options
    edited December 2021

One thing I'm slightly peeved about: Mrs J and I booked our booster doses when we first became eligible, 18 days ago. The date we got was for the 16th, in 8 days time. In the meantime, the media is full of people younger than use getting dates for tomorrow, or in a few days. When I go to the booster pages, there is no availability in my area (Cambridge) until well after the 18th.

So, is Cambridge poorly provided for with boosters? Or am I being penalised for booking early?

Possibly simply a more efficient notification and booking system in Fenland than other areas. And/or fewer nutters. Edit: which means fewer blanks.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Going to a football match means either proving you are vaccinated or taking a LFT prior to entry - is that right? How practical is that at the turnstiles?

Someone with a scanner checking if your phone QR code is valid takes about 3-5 seconds in most cases. Then you get people who can't use their phone efficiently or are not prepared in the queue slowing everything down, especially if it is new to them.

I'd imagine by the third time people are going to a venue and both staff and customers are familiar with the process it is quick but requires extra staffing on the turnstiles.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

To say masks do nothing is obviously completely wrong and verging on anti-vax-like conspiracy theories.

A full and correct deployment of the Horse Battery :)
    Hope you are well.
  • Options

Any half-competent journalist would want to get the culprit on the record denying things before presenting the proof, and Boris is certainly dopey enough to walk straight into the trap.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    I wonder if the Covid Enquiry will be delayed?

Must be likely.
  • Options
    I think Johnson was at one of these parties.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,609
    Andy_JS said:

Hopefully voters in North Shropshire will bring Johnson's premiership to a deserved end in 8 days' time.

Third place would be the ultimate hilarious outcome. Only actually possible if tactical voting breaks down.
    I still think the Tories winning the seat is a distinct possibility though, for the same reason.
  • Options

Why are we messing around with distractions (such as what circle of hell requires a vaxport, and which only a facemask) when the message should be very clearly to vaccinate early and often?

The vaccine strategy is being completely undermined by the government's own actions and messages.

It's reached the stage where it needs more than a message. In requires the Government to make life really difficult for the minority who refuse to do the right thing, so that they finally do get vaccinated.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    So whats the craic? I’m going to a gig tomorrow, do I have to wear a mask? Fuck that.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Andy_JS said:

Hopefully voters in North Shropshire will bring Johnson's premiership to a deserved end in 8 days' time.

by returning a Conservative with a very reduced majority and LDs in third place.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 778
    Depressing news on plan B. I will make the most of my last two days in the office.

Given this, why the hell aren't we jabbing over 500k per day yet? I had a walk-in jab on Sunday so there was clearly some capacity ahead of the system being updated.

Vaccines are the answer, not further restrictions. At least not until we know if the threat on track to overwhelm the NHS, which we don't yet.
  • Options

It's reached the stage where it needs more than a message. In requires the Government to make life really difficult for the minority who refuse to do the right thing, so that they finally do get vaccinated.

As I said earlier, increase personal tax rates for people who are unvaxxed. For a while, whilst they are unvaxxed. After a period, increase them for life.
  • Options

That's another thing that really winds me up, nobody ever seems to learn anything. 20 months or more now of making the same mistakes, and having the same stupid assumptions again and again.
  • Options
    And so central London empties out, for December

This is going to destroy so much hospitality. A tragedy unfolds
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Yes, maybe

Certainly vaxports seem irrelevant now

This is a bleak bleak moment
    The worst part is that Beth Rigby, for once, was entirely correct. They can't answer her question because the fuckers know the answer is yes. It will take the Tory party getting rid of Boris and an actual leader to win and tell the scientists to get fucked to be rid of this new half-life. These people want everyone to live in isolated lives so they can eliminate death. We know that isn't going to happen but here we are.
  • Options
    glw said:

Any half-competent journalist would want to get the culprit on the record denying things before presenting the proof, and Boris is certainly dopey enough to walk straight into the trap.
    Mirror do seem to be the favourite gutter the Scarlett pimpenknell chooses to piss this story into 🤷‍♀️
  • Options

So whats the craic? I’m going to a gig tomorrow, do I have to wear a mask? Fuck that.

In the toon? Would help to prevent hypothermia doon Bigg Market gate.
This discussion has been closed.