Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Voodoo polling v proper polling (festive edition) – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

This track seems to be about as well designed as the "smart motorway" idea.

Real shit show to have a lottery track at this stage of the season. No real ontrack action, just a series of dice rolls.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

Farooq said:

I'm listening to the F1 on the BBC website, from the F1 page.

And it's moved to football.

Poor, BBC. Very poor.

It's on 5 Live Extra.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live_sports_extra
    Thanks, I know. But if you go to the F1 page, it's playing the footie.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/54911282

They've done this sort of thing before. A few years ago, I was listening to the F1 whilst driving. They changed sport, and said the F1 moved to 5 Live Extra. I tuned to 5LE, which was playing another sport. After a few minutes, 5LE said the F1 was on the main 5 Live. I tuned back, only for another sport. Neither channel had the F1 on, and both were saying it was on the other channel...

(I heard a funny anecdote once about BBC swapping channels...)
    Watch it on sky? Who wants to listen to F1 on the radio??
    Some of us have lives.

And are too tight to pay for Sky. ;)
    I'm not too tight to pay for Sky. But I am too tight to pay for a TV license.
    I know others differ, but I get a massive amount from my TV licence. Heck, I probably listen to three or four hours of BBC podcast content a week alone.

(Yes, I know I don't need a TV licence for that - but it's all paid for by it.)

In entertainment terms, it's blooming great value for me. Although, as I've said passim, the BBC's funding model is utterly borken in the long term.
    I haven't watched TV in 5 years; but in my case the license fee is worth it for Radio 3 and Radio 6.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Farooq said:

Poor, BBC. Very poor.

It's on 5 Live Extra.

They've done this sort of thing before. A few years ago, I was listening to the F1 whilst driving. They changed sport, and said the F1 moved to 5 Live Extra. I tuned to 5LE, which was playing another sport. After a few minutes, 5LE said the F1 was on the main 5 Live. I tuned back, only for another sport. Neither channel had the F1 on, and both were saying it was on the other channel...

Some of us have lives.

I know others differ, but I get a massive amount from my TV licence. Heck, I probably listen to three or four hours of BBC podcast content a week alone.

In entertainment terms, it's blooming great value for me. Although, as I've said passim, the BBC's funding model is utterly borken in the long term.
    I haven't watched TV in 5 years; but in my case the license fee is worth it for Radio 3 and Radio 6.
    You don't need a tv licence for radio.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    darkage said:

Farooq said:

Poor, BBC. Very poor.

It's on 5 Live Extra.

Some of us have lives.

Um.. you realise you can listen to that stuff without paying for a licence?
  • Options
    Lewis paying for his honesty there, roles reversed Max would have ensured a crash and taken it to next week.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Why are Red Bull negotiating with the race stewards? How can a participant be involved in negotiations as to what the rules are?

That wasn't the steward, it was the race director. The stewards weren't involved. They may be about that formation lap.
    OK but why are the teams negotiating with the race director either?

Surely the race director should be telling them what's going on, not negotiating it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    That was catastrophic from Hamilton's point of view. It could only have been worse if he'd actually crashed.
  • Options
    Only show in town now is hoping those mediums don't last, but no sign of deg on this track at all so far.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Hamilton did really well to not do serious damage to his car at that start.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That was catastrophic from Hamilton's point of view. It could only have been worse if he'd actually crashed.

Nah, crash for them both is clearly better than a Max win, which would basically end the championship.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

ydoethur said:

Nah, crash for them both is clearly better than a Max win, which would basically end the championship.
    It would have been Hamilton and Ocon who would have crashed. Verstappen would then have won and TSE would have been weeping all the way to the bank.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

I have just switched to the race and it seems unfathomable to me as to what is going on

Could someone enlighten me on how this effects Hamilton

It's much simpler with a 3 mile handicap chase at Lingfield, my friend.
  • Options
    Sector 1 is too twisty to follow, going to be a procession from here frankly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

ydoethur said:

It would have been Hamilton and Ocon who would have crashed. Verstappen would then have won and TSE would have been weeping all the way to the bank.
    Roles reversed, Max would easily have ensured it was him and Lewis that crashed. With Max on the inside there, all it needed was a steer of them both in to the vanishing wedge to the left.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Mail: Boris Johnson is today facing more pressure to explain events at Downing Street Christmas parties last year after his deputy admitted any 'formal' events would have breached Covid laws.

Dominic Raab made the admission after Labour MPs demanded the Metropolitan Police probe two gatherings in November and December last year.

Both are said to have seen 40 or 50 people crammed 'cheek by jowl' in an inside room, and one is reported to have included a secret Santa and festive quiz.

Marr displayed the rule and it seems for it to be illegal it would have to be a party , not a few drinks at the end of the day in a work environment

I doubt we will ever know
    I think we already know. There's a reason why every government spokesperson is parroting the same line and refusing to say any more.
    As a matter of interest did you watch Marr and read the definition and understand just why this may well have been legal
    Eating, drinking, and playing party games isn't ever going to come under the definition of a gathering that is primarily for business reasons, is it?

You spent an entire year telling us all what a charlatan Boris was. Don't start defending him now.
    I am not part of a lynch mob and you have not answered the question

What proof do you have that this was illegal and if so provide it

Indeed neither Boris or Carrie were present

"Secret Santa", quiz, drinks and food and not working, indeed cramming into rooms to get pished, sounds awfully like a party. Like Dilyn sounds like a dog.

To claim it wasn't a party is about as honest as to claim Dilyn is a cat. Especially if everyone else has been forbidden to have parties.
    @Big_G_NorthWales is defending the indefensible, and he knows it. He would be apoplectic if it was Drakefords office party...
    I doing no such thing

If it was a party it was illegal, if it was a working environment at the end of the day it is not under the definition showed by Marr
    It's one rule for them, another for us plebs. Time after time.
    But you do not know the circumstances of this party and yet shout guilty

Innocent until proved guilty used to be the law in this land, seems some have reversed it

They had a party, at a time when No 10 - those people - had forbidden the world to have parties. Can you not see that pleading legal technicalities only makes it worse?
    I accept that is the narrative and it may have been an illegal party, but if it was in a workplace environment, indeed any workplace environment, drinks at the end of the day would not be contary to covid regs

Drinking till after midnight and playing party games has not been a feature of our staff non-party get-togethers. But I think the subject's been done to death - pretty obviously the rules were hypocritically broken, and nobody is especially surprised. Either the the "One rule for them" thing worries people or it doesn't - according to the North Shropshire report today, most people just shrug and say "They're all at it".
    That was my thinking on the subject - that and a strong desire to report Barry Gardiner to the Met for his own breaching of Covid Rules last year. As I remember it he tweeted a picture of himself at a BLM protest saying he was taking a break from social distancing.
  • Options
    Lack of power by Verstappen whatever that means
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

Poor, BBC. Very poor.

It's on 5 Live Extra.

Some of us have lives.

Um.. you realise you can listen to that stuff without paying for a licence?
    Yeah I realise that. But its the reason I don't mind paying the TV license.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

He can't control the stewards?

Edit - let me guess. Another red flag.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Poor, BBC. Very poor.

It's on 5 Live Extra.

Some of us have lives.

I never understand this argument. If you are a big F1 fan, it’s only about £30 a month to subscribe to Sky. That’s like five pints a month for all the sport. I’m not on commission but it seems to me to be a trifling sum so you can actually watch the races/matches.
    1) I'm tight.
    2) It's £30 a month.
    3) I'd rather have five pints.
    4) I don't want to have to spend my Saturday and Sunday afternoons in front of the TV; and if I spent that much, I'd feel the need to get my moneysworth.

We're reasonably comfortably well off - enough for me not to have to work at the moment. One of the reasons for this is that, although we have a good income, we watch what we spend. We're not too tight - we buy lots of stuff - but we are careful. And before you know, it a subscription to Sky, Netflix, Disney etc gets into real money.

I've also sort-of grown out of love with F1. I've been watching it since it was first regularly shown on BBC 1 in the late 1970s when I was very young, and there are often better ways for me to spend Sunday afternoon. I used to organise my life so I'd be in on a Sunday afternoon; now I can listen to it if I'm out on a walk or run, or driving. And a Sky subs gets you quali and practice as well, and that's a long time. In addition, the little 'un isn't into it, and gets bored watching it (he's very enlightened).

When I was on my coastal walk, there was an F1 race when I was on the hillside to the south of Eileen Donan castle in Scotland. I couldn't get radio reception, but I could get mobile reception, so a mate would phone me up to let me know what was happening.
    I know what you mean about this. I was an avid sports watcher not so long ago but now I can’t figure out how I ever had time for it. These days it’s international cricket while doing something else, summer football tournaments and the rugby if I’m somewhere and can’t find an excuse not to join it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,969

Poor, BBC. Very poor.

It's on 5 Live Extra.

Some of us have lives.

I never understand this argument. If you are a big F1 fan, it’s only about £30 a month to subscribe to Sky. That’s like five pints a month for all the sport. I’m not on commission but it seems to me to be a trifling sum so you can actually watch the races/matches.
    1) I'm tight.
    2) It's £30 a month.
    4) I don't want to have to spend my Saturday and Sunday afternoons in front of the TV; and if I spent that much, I'd feel the need to get my moneysworth.

We're reasonably comfortably well off - enough for me not to have to work at the moment. One of the reasons for this is that, although we have a good income, we watch what we spend. We're not too tight - we buy lots of stuff - but we are careful. And before you know, it a subscription to Sky, Netflix, Disney etc gets into real money.

I've also sort-of grown out of love with F1. I've been watching it since it was first regularly shown on BBC 1 in the late 1970s when I was very young, and there are often better ways for me to spend Sunday afternoon. I used to organise my life so I'd be in on a Sunday afternoon; now I can listen to it if I'm out on a walk or run, or driving. And a Sky subs gets you quali and practice as well, and that's a long time. In addition, the little 'un isn't into it, and gets bored watching it (he's very enlightened).

When I was on my coastal walk, there was an F1 race when I was on the hillside to the south of Eileen Donan castle in Scotland. I couldn't get radio reception, but I could get mobile reception, so a mate would phone me up to let me know what was happening.
    I long ago came to the conclusion that paying for sport on telly was a basic cost of living. I’m not an F1 fan but without Sky I could watch almost no sport of any consequence, outside major football tournaments*

*never understood why people care much about the Olympics - mostly a load of random sports nobody cares about 99% of the time.
  • Options

It means ‘Rool britaneea’.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,969

Expect the definitive verdict on what covid rules will apply over Christmas at the end of next week - 17th or thereabouts.

Key data esp on vaccine efficacy vs ο still not available.

Story @theipaper: https://t.co/Qx6IR6KOrG

That ‘story’ is a nothing burger - there is no news in it whatsoever. A shamefully rubbish front page (non) story.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Lewis paying for his honesty there, roles reversed Max would have ensured a crash and taken it to next week.

Beyond parody.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,557

maaarsh said:

Beyond parody.
    Yes, you are.
  • Options
    Impossible to follow in S1 - Lewis clearly quicker but relying on another Max error here as he'll never get close enough otherwise.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2021

Expect the definitive verdict on what covid rules will apply over Christmas at the end of next week - 17th or thereabouts.

That ‘story’ is a nothing burger - there is no news in it whatsoever. A shamefully rubbish front page (non) story.
    Instead of which nearly all of the press seems to have missed the drugs-in-Boris Johnson's office-toilets, and Lindsey Hoyle calling in the police story today. Most odd.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,988

Poor, BBC. Very poor.

It's on 5 Live Extra.

Some of us have lives.

1) I'm tight.
    2) It's £30 a month.

I long ago came to the conclusion that paying for sport on telly was a basic cost of living. I’m not an F1 fan but without Sky I could watch almost no sport of any consequence, outside major football tournaments*

*never understood why people care much about the Olympics - mostly a load of random sports nobody cares about 99% of the time.
    F1 (well, motor racing in general) is my only sporting interest. Everything else leaves me fairly cold. Although I did quite like Trans World Sports when that used to be on Ch4 in the mornings.

As I get older, I realise that I'm time-poor, even when I'm not working. I used to hold down a full-time job, have a girlfriend, walk for sixty days a year and have a couple of other hobbies. Now I find I spend all my time managing a seven-year old and a wife. I'm fairly certain a girlfriend is also out of the question now ... ;)
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Another day, another example of David Cameron’s Twitter maxim.

Why are political parties still not properly vetting their candidates’ social media histories, when they know that not-so-friendly opponents and newspapers definitely will be?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10276171/Lib-Dem-candidate-apologises-appearing-liken-Channel-migrants-Jewish-prisoners.html

Helen Morgan, Lib Dem candidate in North Shropshire with today’s Godwin award, for writing, in the context of her son reading a book about the Holocaust:

“He commented that the Nazis were only able to do such terrible things because they didn’t think their victims were people. He’s 11. On Twitter this morning, there are people talking about cancelling their RNLI donations because they have picked up “illegals”. The language used every day in this country – by the Government, press and people with thousands of followers on social media – it’s nothing short of chilling.”

Then she liked a post from someone who replied:

‘Having visited Auschwitz concentration camp in the recent past. It really brings home man’s inhumanity to man. Now on a daily basis the language and actions of the Conservative Party make me more and more concerned about the direction they are taking the UK and its people.’

Her own post is totally on the money. The post she liked is perhaps a bit over the top. But I'm sure that plenty of people share the sentiment that the othering and scapegoating of refugees that's going on in this country right now is chilling, and, for anyone with a knowledge of European history, has some alarming historical resonances.
    The suggestion that the Tories are similar to the Nazis in outlook and policies is absurd and, frankly, as good an example of "othering" as you will find. The SNP do very similar things demonising something like 25% of Scots who vote Tory and who, as a result, are apparently not real Scots. It also encourages the arrogance and moral superiority complex that so many liberals, in the broadest sense, are prone to and is one of the reasons that they fail at the ballot box.

There was a chap about 2000 years ago who had some interesting observations about motes and beams. She should reflect on it.
    Thank goodness Tories and Unionists never indulge in that kind of behaviour (I couldn’t find the photoshop of Sturgeon in an SS uniform so beloved by your fruitier fellow travellers, I suspect twitter may have banned it). Motes and beams indeed.

https://twitter.com/professorfergus/status/1444259197168799746?s=21
    This one, TUD? https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_LjFitWgTf4/Wt8-pz0fuWI/AAAAAAAAQAc/6_ClSDp8SuEHs-JBe560EHnlG9AzBF1NwCLcBGAs/s1600/Sturgeonnaziuniform.jpg
    That’s the one.
    Ironically what one might call the far right in Scotland tends to Unionism.
    That’s a very seriously point actually as to why the SNP are wrong. Like Hitler they love the politics of nationalism.
    SNP won’t last much longer. People of Scotland will tire of the Nationalism spectacles, gravitate to another approach and Scot nationalism will go back to be a fringe thing.
    I see you’re as insightful and original on this topic as on others.
    😕
    I’m genuine sorry if I touched a nerve on Scottish Separatism that matters to you. To be honest divvy I really would like to listen and learn here as I have never chatted with SNP before. can you answer a few straightforward questions about it?

1. Last time ref said it wanted to keep both the £ and the Monarchy? Will that be exactly the same in the next ref?
    2. Really? Having both those things, is it proper independence from continued English and London influence? or a sort of half way house have your cake and eat it independence?
    3. Surely the only True definition of independence is own currency and negotiate trade deal with what’s left of UK and everywhere else? Like Ireland? Because the place to avoid is the basket case facade democracy, Zimbabwe ending up in, you can have a parliament but not own the land, the resources, the ability to tax the necessary amount of wealth?
    4. If Scotland has independence from England, does it have the economy and assets to maintain the current lifestyle, free higher education etc, enough wealth owned, invested and generated, to tax, to maintain standards of living it currently enjoys? What main industry will it have other than tourism?
    5. Basically boils down to simple question, are the English currently takers from Scotland, Scotland takers from England, or current balance about right and fair?
    6. If you want to keep the monarchy, then why not trust a Royal Commission how we can share these Isles, in a helping sharing UK commonwealth (which it should already have been the last few hundred years) where everyone’s regional and local identity feels in a happy place? But To create such a happy place cannot be achieved through ramping nationalism and localism, and holding separatist referendums, can it?
    On the whole currency thing, I think it's widely acknowledged that the proposal to keep the pound was disingenuously sold and very poor politics. The factual point about it being viable in the short term was true, but it was an impossible message to sell to the public. I think the reality was that as soon as independence happened, or possibly even as part of the negotiations, the Scottish government would have pivoted away from that and launched their own currency / gone straight to the Euro if the EU accession fast-track would have been on. As a long term proposal, using the pound wouldn't have worked and I think the people saw through that particular ruse.
    Keeping the monarchy is a different matter. I'm certain the Scottish government wouldn't have moved at all on changing that. I can foresee a future, post-independence campaign for it, but I don't know whether it would really get the traction, and nobody on the mild-republican side of Scottish politics would want to risk their own position fighting a losing battle.

As for the comments comparing any mainstream UK party with the Nazis, you're clearly an idiot.
    Thank you for what was almost a measured response. 🙂

Hitler was a Nazi - Not a nationalist? So I can’t make a comparison between SNP and all parties and all politicians who exploit nationalism? Who Wrap them themselves in flags? Wear nationalist glasses?

If I can’t, I do apologise.

No you can't and yes you should apologise. Equating all nationalist movements - or even most of them - with the Nazis is clearly both ignorant and stupid. Was Gandhi a Nazi? Were those fighting for independence for South Somalia or East Timor Nazis? Any of the countries who gained independence from European power post colonialism?

You might as well equate vegetarians and animal lovers with Nazis as Hitler was both of those. And sadly some have even tried to do that though I would have hoped most posting on PB has a bit more intelligence than that.
    thank you. That is very thoughtfull and well explained.. I do understand equating SNP to Hitler is beyond the pale, here and in all polite and intelligent company. And I apologise to everyone, especially SNP PB-ers 😔

I’m still a bit confused. Is there not an argument, Nationlislism was woven into and component of Hitlers National Socialism? and when all politicians, not just Hitler, reach for Nationalism is often to be disingenuous and distract from hard questions and problems?
  • Options

Bob Dole was a relic of an era when almost every presidential hopeful was a four-letter word. My favourite anecdote of the time was the lady who said "in my heart I want Bush, in my bush I want Hart."

Just read of his death. A reminder of a lost era when GOP candidates were decent, constitution-abiding public servants who thought about the republic.

Compare with the scumbags and cowards who run the party now.*

*Liz Cheney and Mit Romney excepted.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,243
    The mediums are going to be fine because there is almost no actual racing. Farce.
  • Options
    Alonso quite rightly calling this out, as this is ridiculous. This is not safe.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885

Instead of which, nearly all of the press seems to have missed the drugs-in-Boris Johnson's office-toilets, and Lindsey Hoyle calling in the police story today. Most odd.
    Mexican stand-off.

No party involved is innocent.
  • Options

Poor, BBC. Very poor.

It's on 5 Live Extra.

Some of us have lives.

1) I'm tight.
    2) It's £30 a month.

As my name on here hints at ,i am not a team player and so like individual sport as opposed to team sports in the main.Hence I love the Olympics and go to obscure sport events over premier league football for instance. Obsessed by quite individual tactical sports like snooker, modern penthalon , triathlon etc
  • Options
    3 laps of VSC and so far zero sign of any marshalls doing anything. Just bizarre.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,988

Instead of which, nearly all of the press seems to have missed the drugs-in-Boris Johnson's office-toilets, and Lindsey Hoyle calling in the police story today. Most odd.
    Mexican stand-off.

There might be another reason why Westminster-based journalists are keen for this story to disappear...
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

3 laps of VSC and so far zero sign of any marshalls doing anything. Just bizarre.

It's almost as though they are desperately trying to work out how they could clean the track without a red flag.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

I wonder if they're going to terminate the race short distance.
  • Options

Mexican stand-off.

There might be another reason why Westminster-based journalists are keen for this story to disappear...
    Yes, sorry, I was including journalists as an interested party here, if rather ambiguously.

I'm quite sure the sniffer dogs would find nothing at the BBC. Would they?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2021

Mexican stand-off.

Indeed, but potentially huge numbers of tabloid advertising clicks to be made from it, for instance. Or contextualising political analysis in the Times or Guardian.

Considering the other sleaze, double-standards and Covid parties stories circulating at the moment, it's a big story. This is even more so, when you consider Hoyle has just called in the police to something with a trail so near the Prime Minister's office.
  • Options

Mexican stand-off.

Yes, sorry, I was including journalists as an interested party here, if rather ambiguously.

IIRC the BBC has some pretty strict random mandatory drug tests.
  • Options
    Honestly, this "race"
  • Options

Honestly, this "race"

Bigger farce than this year's Belgian Grand Prix.
  • Options
    Max cheats again
  • Options
    Verstappen surely has to give up the place.
  • Options
    Brasil all over again. Lewis ahead, on racing line, Max deliberately missed corner.

Stewards really need to show up.
  • Options
    FUCKING C***
  • Options
    Coulthard and Schumacher all over again!
  • Options
    Chaos
  • Options
    That has to be a massive penalty
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Andy_JS said:

"Latest data, looking good
    Dr. John Campbell"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Paq17X6ucQ

"rapid herd immunity at minimal cost in morbidity and mortality...."

Fingers crossed.....
    Just watched the video, it does look like good news, very transmissible, but very milled symptoms.

Clearly too soon to say for defiant, but the but the early indication are pointing that way.
  • Options
    That should be that for Verstappen. Ban him.
  • Options

Mexican stand-off.

I assume this was brought in after certain children's programmes were made?
  • Options
    Totto Wolff's reaction is the same as mine.
  • Options
    Does the track not mean anything anymore? How can he cut that corner and get away with it?
  • Options
    With a 20 second gap, only penalty with any impact would be a DQ.

Total shit show
  • Options
    That has to be a black flag.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    What a stupid “sport”
  • Options
    I am rather enjoying this F1 :-)
  • Options
    This track is quite narrow.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Coulthard and Schumacher all over again!

I thought of that as well.

As I recall, Coulthard finished and Schumacher didn't.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Total chaos....all arguing with one another.
  • Options
    No depth this **** won't plumb
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    maaarsh said:

This is making Boris CBI speech look like the height of professionalism.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Farcical
  • Options

Mexican stand-off.

Sniffer dogs to be deployed in the Commons.

Haha.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/sniffer-dogs-deployed-to-crack-down-on-commons-cocaine-use-303830/
  • Options
    ping said:

Farcical

Vroom vrooom...now ehhh hands up who has been to Peppa Pig World....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    I wonder how much LSD addiction they would find at IB protests?

Perhaps Cannabis is more likely if it makes them psychotic.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    God - this is the most ridiculous race I’ve seen, in a ridiculous season
  • Options
    MattW said:

I wonder how much LSD addiction they would find at IB protests?

Perhaps Cannabis is more likely if it makes them psychotic.

Is that what Hamilton and Verstappen are on?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    maaarsh said:

You having a go at PB?

Tut.

We still have to suggest alternative careers for @SeanT. Plenty of depths to plumb, or plum.

No one iirc suggested that the bullet caught in someone's orifice the other day was a rimfire cartridge, so there are barrels we do not scrape.
  • Options
    Worrying stuff in South Africa with R over 2 and rates quadruple each week - though no surge in admissions yet as most in young so far. Test positive over 20 percent which is huge

https://twitter.com/timspector/status/1467576786129149960?t=BdKI0wr_z3dzBglQt16YqA&s=19
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,746
    edited December 2021

Mexican stand-off.

Whoever made the Flower Pot Men must have been off their heads. "Hello, Little Weed." It was hiding in plain sight.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,389
    edited December 2021
    My watch tells me my heart rate is abnormally high for someone sitting down.

Fucking Max Verstappen.
  • Options

Mexican stand-off.

I thought drugs came to BBC television via The Magic Roundabout, which was French !
  • Options

My watch tells me my heart rate is abnormally high for someone sitting down.

Have you been near the Commons today ?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660

Mexican stand-off.

Whoever made the Flower Pot Men must have been off their heads. "Hello, Little Weed." It was hiding in plain sight.
    Not to mention Magic Roundabout
  • Options
    My Sky Go has stopped working, don't know if its because the show has meant to be finished and its trying to play the next one.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920
    Farooq said:

Poor, BBC. Very poor.

It's on 5 Live Extra.

Some of us have lives.

You need both to watch the GP
  • Options
    I don’t think Max has enhanced his reputation today.
  • Options

God - this is the most ridiculous race I’ve seen, in a ridiculous season

It reminds of when i took a group of my mates kids to the dodgems....the instructions to only go one way around and not bashing into one another lasted all of about 10s. Resulting in the carnies telling me to discipline my kids, which i told them, they ain't mine mate.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112

Mexican stand-off.

I once heard that the guys doing the "voices" of Bill and Ben were talking all manor of obscenities in that flob-a-dob stuff....
  • Options
    Well done Lewis
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Disagree. His reputation is that of a crasher.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I loathe Verstappen more than I loathe Donald Trump.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    The John Campbell video is well worth watching. What's really key is that the numbers in hospital with Covid in Guateng is vastly inflated. Simply 76% of those counted in that number were in hospital for other things.
  • Options
    Well in the end the medium tyres were the wrong choice.
  • Options
    Vteri Bottas what an embarrasment of a driver
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

He went beyond the defensible in Brasil. This time round he's clearly stopped pretending the rules apply to him.
  • Options
    Sadly Max still leads so we'll get a repeat next week. If he doesn't have the pace to beat Lewis he will go for an incident every chance he gets.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Mark Reckless level of loathing?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Mark Reckless level of loathing?
    Well past that.
  • Options
    I hope Lewis Hamilton's car having lost all that bodywork still meets the minimum weight requirement.

Not that I care overmuch about Hamilton, but we would greatly miss TSE if he died of apoplexy.
  • Options
    A Zoë contributor has told of a super-spreader event in Somerset at a 60 th birthday where All guests were vaccinated and some with boosters and had a lateral flow test 24 hours beforehand that was negative. 14/18 developed PCR positive for omicron- but symptoms all mild luckily

https://twitter.com/timspector/status/1467579139255320576?t=vJ2tPQTrZ6rizNH2A_ibfg&s=19
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Vteri Bottas what an embarrasment of a driver

Yes, can’t even spell his own name…
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited December 2021

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Another day, another example of David Cameron’s Twitter maxim.

Why are political parties still not properly vetting their candidates’ social media histories, when they know that not-so-friendly opponents and newspapers definitely will be?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10276171/Lib-Dem-candidate-apologises-appearing-liken-Channel-migrants-Jewish-prisoners.html

Helen Morgan, Lib Dem candidate in North Shropshire with today’s Godwin award, for writing, in the context of her son reading a book about the Holocaust:

“He commented that the Nazis were only able to do such terrible things because they didn’t think their victims were people. He’s 11. On Twitter this morning, there are people talking about cancelling their RNLI donations because they have picked up “illegals”. The language used every day in this country – by the Government, press and people with thousands of followers on social media – it’s nothing short of chilling.”

Then she liked a post from someone who replied:

‘Having visited Auschwitz concentration camp in the recent past. It really brings home man’s inhumanity to man. Now on a daily basis the language and actions of the Conservative Party make me more and more concerned about the direction they are taking the UK and its people.’

Her own post is totally on the money. The post she liked is perhaps a bit over the top. But I'm sure that plenty of people share the sentiment that the othering and scapegoating of refugees that's going on in this country right now is chilling, and, for anyone with a knowledge of European history, has some alarming historical resonances.
    The suggestion that the Tories are similar to the Nazis in outlook and policies is absurd and, frankly, as good an example of "othering" as you will find. The SNP do very similar things demonising something like 25% of Scots who vote Tory and who, as a result, are apparently not real Scots. It also encourages the arrogance and moral superiority complex that so many liberals, in the broadest sense, are prone to and is one of the reasons that they fail at the ballot box.

There was a chap about 2000 years ago who had some interesting observations about motes and beams. She should reflect on it.
    Thank goodness Tories and Unionists never indulge in that kind of behaviour (I couldn’t find the photoshop of Sturgeon in an SS uniform so beloved by your fruitier fellow travellers, I suspect twitter may have banned it). Motes and beams indeed.

https://twitter.com/professorfergus/status/1444259197168799746?s=21
    This one, TUD? "" />
    That’s the one.
    Ironically what one might call the far right in Scotland tends to Unionism.
    That’s a very seriously point actually as to why the SNP are wrong. Like Hitler they love the politics of nationalism.
    SNP won’t last much longer. People of Scotland will tire of the Nationalism spectacles, gravitate to another approach and Scot nationalism will go back to be a fringe thing.
    I see you’re as insightful and original on this topic as on others.
    😕
    I’m genuine sorry if I touched a nerve on Scottish Separatism that matters to you. To be honest divvy I really would like to listen and learn here as I have never chatted with SNP before. can you answer a few straightforward questions about it?

1. Last time ref said it wanted to keep both the £ and the Monarchy? Will that be exactly the same in the next ref?
    2. Really? Having both those things, is it proper independence from continued English and London influence? or a sort of half way house have your cake and eat it independence?
    3. Surely the only True definition of independence is own currency and negotiate trade deal with what’s left of UK and everywhere else? Like Ireland? Because the place to avoid is the basket case facade democracy, Zimbabwe ending up in, you can have a parliament but not own the land, the resources, the ability to tax the necessary amount of wealth?
    4. If Scotland has independence from England, does it have the economy and assets to maintain the current lifestyle, free higher education etc, enough wealth owned, invested and generated, to tax, to maintain standards of living it currently enjoys? What main industry will it have other than tourism?
    5. Basically boils down to simple question, are the English currently takers from Scotland, Scotland takers from England, or current balance about right and fair?
    6. If you want to keep the monarchy, then why not trust a Royal Commission how we can share these Isles, in a helping sharing UK commonwealth (which it should already have been the last few hundred years) where everyone’s regional and local identity feels in a happy place? But To create such a happy place cannot be achieved through ramping nationalism and localism, and holding separatist referendums, can it?
    On the whole currency thing, I think it's widely acknowledged that the proposal to keep the pound was disingenuously sold and very poor politics. The factual point about it being viable in the short term was true, but it was an impossible message to sell to the public. I think the reality was that as soon as independence happened, or possibly even as part of the negotiations, the Scottish government would have pivoted away from that and launched their own currency / gone straight to the Euro if the EU accession fast-track would have been on. As a long term proposal, using the pound wouldn't have worked and I think the people saw through that particular ruse.
    Keeping the monarchy is a different matter. I'm certain the Scottish government wouldn't have moved at all on changing that. I can foresee a future, post-independence campaign for it, but I don't know whether it would really get the traction, and nobody on the mild-republican side of Scottish politics would want to risk their own position fighting a losing battle.

As for the comments comparing any mainstream UK party with the Nazis, you're clearly an idiot.
    Thank you for what was almost a measured response. 🙂

Hitler was a Nazi - Not a nationalist? So I can’t make a comparison between SNP and all parties and all politicians who exploit nationalism? Who Wrap them themselves in flags? Wear nationalist glasses?

If I can’t, I do apologise.

No you can't and yes you should apologise. Equating all nationalist movements - or even most of them - with the Nazis is clearly both ignorant and stupid. Was Gandhi a Nazi? Were those fighting for independence for South Somalia or East Timor Nazis? Any of the countries who gained independence from European power post colonialism?

You might as well equate vegetarians and animal lovers with Nazis as Hitler was both of those. And sadly some have even tried to do that though I would have hoped most posting on PB has a bit more intelligence than that.
    I appreciate Richards explanation to me has a lot of likes now. I do apologies to everyone I have clumsily insulted today. I obviously don’t understand this stuff at all well.

Because I always believed when politicians reached for Nationalism it was not such a good thing. Like this Winston Churchill quote “Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first”.

So being called Nationalist Party is confusing guide to their politics that is really just democratic and patriotic.

If any silver lining at all I am listening and learning thank you all, so please keep pointing out my mistakes so I can get it right when Prime Minister. Thank you. 🙏🏻

PS I have deleted that terrible picture in this thread and question very much the people who made it
  • Options
    Verstappen could yet lose points/get a serious grid penalty in Abu Dhabi..... Dangerous driving like that braking manoeuvre has to be punished.
This discussion has been closed.