Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

France 2022: An update – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options

moonshine said:

Any attempt to put directly-elected mayors (or governors) atop county councils will be controversial, as it will beg the question - what are county councillors for?

Although London devolution is generally deemed a moderate success, nobody has yet figured out what the London assembly members are for.

You know what we don’t have enough? Politicians. Said no one.
    That’s the general tenor of comments underneath the Times article, and it’s the same sentiment that foiled the North East Assembly idea.

It’s true, though. We don’t need *more* politicians, we just to need to give the existing local ones actual powers and money.
    Simples. Abolish the most incompetent and wasteful level of government: Westminster.
  • Options

Some on Twitter observes.

"Governor" feels like the sort of title Oliver Cromwell would have given them. Can't we have Counts or Sheriffs instead?

I can remember Margaret Thatcher complaining that the word “county” was inappropriate in England, as the country had never had the office of ‘count’, which was a German/Dutch title.

Pre-Union, and for a long time post-Union, the Scottish “counties” were “shires” (in contrast to the politically separate burghs). Don’t really know the English history.
    Counties evolved from Anglo-Saxon earldoms, and earl is equivalent to a count, indeed the wife of an earl is a countess. Shire is of course possible as well, in certain contexts (such as Knight of the Shire).

Count is actually a Latin title, from comes, companion (of the emperor). The Dutch/German title is in fact Graf
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Gosh. There is a chap just walked down the train checking on mask compliance.

Nobody been tasered yet.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    Nigelb said:
    That's a great layout. Pete Waterman's recently done a large one that was shown at Chester Cathedral, and then there's McKinley
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=487gJ4_Pt0A

I loved railway modelling when I was a kid - although I liked modelling buildings and structures more. The problem was, I liked to get things as accurate as I could, and there's only so much you can do at OO scale. I didn't have enough room or a purse big enough for O gauge. So I went to 1:1 scale and started volunteering at a preserved railway...
  • Options

"Governor" feels like the sort of title Oliver Cromwell would have given them. Can't we have Counts or Sheriffs instead?

Both refer to counties and we already have them (translated as earl in the case of counts). Border areas can of course have Marcher Lords. I don't think there is an historic term for regional governor. I presume England would be divided into the God-awful Government regions without localities being given the choice of where they want to be governed from. I imagibe the Cornish would want to go alone, for example, and I don't see why Hampshire can't, for example, it has a greater population than many States of the Union.

But, please, no more tinkering. We need a proper federal constitutional settlement. I would settle for the Grundgesetz. And we need symmetry. Every country and region should have the same powers currently granted to Scotland.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,729

Both refer to counties and we already have them (translated as earl in the case of counts). Border areas can of course have Marcher Lords. I don't think there is an historic term for regional governor. I presume England would be divided into the God-awful Government regions without localities being given the choice of where they want to be governed from. I imagibe the Cornish would want to go alone, for example, and I don't see why Hampshire can't, for example, it has a greater population than many States of the Union.

But, please, no more tinkering. We need a proper federal constitutional settlement. I would settle for the Grundgesetz. And we need symmetry. Every country and region should have the same powers currently granted to Scotland.
    Regional Commissioner. That was the title picked in the only (so far as I am aware) modern scheme of government planning for a symmetrical devolution scheme: after the bomb fell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_seat_of_government
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,530

DavidL said:

A British employee of the UK Embassy in Berlin has been accused of passing official documents to Moscow agents. His arrest marks the third Russian espionage case in Germany in under a year.

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1466970514199494661?s=20

We have secrets worth stealing? Blimey.
    I thought the current arrangement was that the Russians purchase them instead?
    It's probably the stuff we spied off the French.

The Concordski technique. This time about submarines.
This discussion has been closed.