Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

France 2022: An update – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

DavidL said:

‘Bolsonaro to face probe after claiming COVID vaccines increase chance of contracting AIDS’

Should candidates in elections have to pass minimum IQ criteria? There seem to be an awful lot of thickos in office at the moment.

Hmm.
    If you are double or treble vaxxed you are going to be much more confident about going out and, you know, having a life.
    If you go out you significantly increase your chances of getting laid.
    If you get laid you increase your prospects of catching AIDS.

Sounds plausible.
    I’m a happily married man. I stay in to get laid.
    Yes but that doesn't count.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

‘Bolsonaro to face probe after claiming COVID vaccines increase chance of contracting AIDS’

Should candidates in elections have to pass minimum IQ criteria? There seem to be an awful lot of thickos in office at the moment.

The Russian one actually might have this side effect. The Ad5 vector has previously been linked to increased rates of HIV and the Russian vaccine uses it for the second dose. It's one of the reasons a lot of countries who originally bought it haven't used it or have done no second doses with it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The Russian one actually might have this side effect. The Ad5 vector has previously been linked to increased rates of HIV and the Russian vaccine uses it for the second dose. It's one of the reasons a lot of countries who originally bought it haven't used it or have done no second doses with it.
    Linked to increase rates, or links to increase positive tests for HIV. Didn't the Australian vaccine have the issue with the second i.e people weren't actually HIV positive, but it caused a false positive on some tests?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

A British employee of the UK Embassy in Berlin has been accused of passing official documents to Moscow agents. His arrest marks the third Russian espionage case in Germany in under a year.

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1466970514199494661?s=20

We have secrets worth stealing? Blimey.
    I thought the current arrangement was that the Russians purchase them instead?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Linked to increase rates, or links to increase positive tests for HIV. Didn't the Australian vaccine have the issue with the second i.e people weren't actually HIV positive, but it caused a false positive on some tests?
    No, actually HIV. The Australian one used a neutered version of HIV as a delivery vector (which was, looking back, a completely stupid idea), Ad5 seems to almost lower natural defences against HIV.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    MattW said:

dixiedean said:

Have I got this right? The battleground for the next GE is going to be the Party Leaders' opinions of Peppa Pig World?

Doubtless Ed Davey will sit on the fence and remain studiously neutral.

The LD's need radical, distinctive policies which sit outside the mainstream of the Culture War.
    Expect a speech on Raa Raa the Noisy Lion.
    I know I have said it before, but it really is true and Lib Dem’s should seriously consider it. If Ed Davey had a celebrity affair with someone, people would remember his name and listen to him more.

Who should Ed have an affair with to best help the LibDem brand? Would Gemma Collins be a good match for younger voters? Joan Collins would suggest he can attract Conservatives?
    Mummy Pig?

I think the script call for an extramarital affair with Mummy Pig that preferably leads to a new family member.

Peppa welcomes her little brother, Lib Dem Pig, could be a classic episode.
    Davey Pig surely? With yellow spots.

Peppa Pig did come out in support for Gordon Browns Labour, so can’t complain about becoming a political football.
    Is Peppa Pig related to Mr Blobby? Time was when he was the key pink TV star du jour.
    Before my time, I had to google mr blobby. What the fuck did they invent that for? 😂
    You seriously need to meet Ludwig and Bod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk5anZMoMg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7vEyTK3LjM
    Nice try! First one obviously a pastiche of a public information film, I’m not falling for that it’s likely very recent made to look weird.

I don’t know what to make of the second one other than it made me feel sick.
  • Options
    I wonder how much the far left clamour to replace SKS would decrease if he were to let Corbyn back in the PLP. I expect it would by a considerable amount; the Corbynites' onolatry is rather perplexing.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It's a lemming in a teaspoon.

Can anybody recommend a sauce?

Please god no.

I can tolerate that this blog rarely talks about political betting, because 98% of the time it is vaguely about politics, current affairs, society and culture, and 1% of the time about betting.

Please find a “small mammal comedy” blog for your insta rejects.
    Unkind, a few mor enice pictures like that would beat a lot of the drivel written.
    I love how one of my favourite old lemmings defended my post after I'd revealed it as an analogy for Scottish independence!
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    edited December 2021

I wonder how much the far left clamour to replace SKS would decrease if he were to let Corbyn back in the PLP. I expect it would by a considerable amount; the Corbynites' onolatry is rather perplexing.

(Sorry I don't know enough about "far left clamour" to address you're point specifically)

The zionists have done an amazing job in managing to spin a pro-palestine ideology as anti-semitic.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,273

I've been Pfizered!

AZ, AZ, PF

Take it easy, tomorrow :)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Currently in the Smoke for the first time for 3 years. Feels totally normal other than the annoying masks.

London seems to be unlike most of the rest of the country in that no one cares any more. I've been to other places and they've all been much more fastidious about masks, COVID apps, one place still insisted on checking in etc...

Bristol was a lesson in how the rest of the country views COVID for me, I was actually really surprised as to how seriously they were taking it compared to what we do in London.

I think the mask wearing will be back for a bit but eventually people will start to push back and bin them again. I'm going out for Christmas drinks and possibly a late opening bar with friends tonight, I expect it will be packed in Camden.
    Yes, it reminds me of a conversation with a mate in about 1985:

Q: Foxy, is this AIDS thing really going to be a problem for straight people?

A: Probably not for a while yet, there are few straight cases so far.

Q: So what you advise is to screw around now while it's still safe?

A: ((slightly taken aback) Yes, that is one interpretation...

I suspect Camden is fairly safe this week. By Christmas Eve, maybe not...
    I doubt that Sean emerging from under his duvet once he shakes off his latest minor cold will present much of a threat to the denizens of old Camden Town
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,216

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    Regardless of Omicron, there's a lot of covid around right now. If you are infected from end of next week onwards you are v likely to be isolating over Christmas.
    Is the Xmas party season worth the risk?

I have been deciding not to do things because I don't want to catch Covid and not be able to visit my daughter in Bath later in December. This feels obvious and logical in these unusual circumstances, but it's not really is it?

In the before times, anyone who suggested that they were not seeing people for a couple of weeks before a planned trip - to be on the safe side to avoid catching a cold, or the flu - would be thought of as a bizarre crank.

Every year there must have been countless thousands of people who ended up catching a bug at the wrong time so that they were ill on Christmas Day, and you would sympathise with them, and understand they might curse their bad luck, but nobody would have suggested that they should have stayed at home for two weeks beforehand in an attempt to make sure it didn't happen.

One Christmas, just after a company reorganisation, I was invited to two work Christmas lunches, one for my old department and one for the new, and I joked that I was punished for my hubris in attempting to attend both by being struck down with different illnesses and not being able to attend either one. It didn't for a moment occur to me that I should have given up on a whole bunch of social contact beforehand.

What a bizarre situation we are in.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,562
    Hamilton looking quick as f*** in final practice.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Not much, I would think. There is no reasoning with the splitters. Though if I were SKS, I would restore the whip at some decent interval, perhaps as part of a more general amnesty. No need to create martyrs.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

(Sorry I don't know enough about "far left clamour" to address you're point specifically)

The zionists have done an amazing job in managing to spinn a pro-palestiane ideology as anti-semitic.
    That might be because of how happy the Corbynite pro-Palestine movement appears to be to accommodate anti-Semites
  • Options
    Wow West Ham have defeated Chelsea, after beating Liverpool a few weeks ago. Could they finish the season in the Top 4?

Hopefully we can go to the Top of the table soon, then Hoping for an extremely unlikely Watford result to stay there.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

JBriskin3 said:

The zionists have done an amazing job in managing to spinn a pro-palestiane ideology as anti-semitic.
    That might be because of how happy the Corbynite pro-Palestine movement appears to be to accommodate anti-Semites
    That just made it easier. The theme predates Corbyn's leadership.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well yeah. He's sat in a car with a really big engine.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Wow West Ham have defeated Chelsea, after beating Liverpool a few weeks ago. Could they finish the season in the Top 4?

Hopefully we can go to the Top of the table soon, then Hoping for an extremely unlikely Watford result to stay there.

Yes, West Ham do look good. I think they will keep 4th place. The PL winner is wide open though.
  • Options

We can only hope that someone like West Ham finishes above all the Super League scumbags.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

When you're blessed with such impressive tentacles, why not use them?
  • Options

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

I don't understand your point.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Just been out to a Christmas market in the small Devon town of Kingsbridge, which was very busy and still a fair number not wearing masks. Bumped into a couple of friends. He has been jabbed and boosted, she (mid 60s with health issues) has gone down the anti-vaxxer rabbit hole.

We thought she was looking startled; turns out she had just heard the couple who had been very vocal and persuaded her not to get jabbed both have Covid. She is getting over it; but he (in his mid 70s) was taken to hospital last night and is in a poor way.

Be interesting to see if our friend revisits her decision not to get jabbed now.
  • Options
    Polly Evans
    @Polly_Evans
    ·
    18h
    BBC report on Scottish school sex survey is too explicit for kids contains the sentence - ‘Warning: This story contains adult language’ - answering its own questions…

https://twitter.com/Polly_Evans/status/1466860135544983566?s=20
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    I don't know if its been mentioned before, but it looks like COVID in Germany has peeked,

In the last 7 days they have reported: 402,271
    In the previous 7 days they reported: 401,119

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/#weekly_table

My thoughts: They will be shooting past there 'heard immunity threshold' (for Delta at this time of year) I anticipate them having another week or so of high cases and then dropping dramatically. Hospitalization and death will follow a similar cure with the normal delay.

Unless the Omicrone variant is a bad as predicted and messes things up.
  • Options
    And after that glamour tie we've still got, err, Yeovil Town V Milton Keynes Dons to go.

You couldn't make it up

#BBCFail
  • Options
    Get out of the hallway don’t block up the door, racing is for everyone.

I’ve had a 12-1 winner with Greaneteen. A good story too.
  • Options

I've been Pfizered!

AZ, AZ, PF

I’m PF, PF and am not allowed my booster til January. I suspect it might be Moderna.
    PF, PF and PF booster. First, arm felt like I'd been kicked by a horse. Second no real reaction. Third, arm felt like I'd been kicked by a horse AND felt off, with a bad headache for a few hours.

Fair price to pay to (hopefully) stay out of hospital...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Well yeah. He's sat in a car with a really big engine.
    Qualifying might still be interesting as the Merc doesn’t look good on the soft tyres - of which the teams have the most sets.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

And after that glamour tie we've still got, err, Yeovil Town V Milton Keynes Dons to go.

You couldn't make it up

#BBCFail

Apologies pedants - Yeovil are playing Stevenage.

Misread my Daily Star a wee bit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,585

Just been out to a Christmas market in the small Devon town of Kingsbridge, which was very busy and still a fair number not wearing masks. Bumped into a couple of friends. He has been jabbed and boosted, she (mid 60s with health issues) has gone down the anti-vaxxer rabbit hole.

We thought she was looking startled; turns out she had just heard the couple who had been very vocal and persuaded her not to get jabbed both have Covid. She is getting over it; but he (in his mid 70s) was taken to hospital last night and is in a poor way.

Be interesting to see if our friend revisits her decision not to get jabbed now.

People don't have to wear masks outside AFAIK.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

I don't know if its been mentioned before, but it looks like COVID in Germany has peeked,

In the last 7 days they have reported: 402,271
    In the previous 7 days they reported: 401,119

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/#weekly_table

My thoughts: They will be shooting past there 'heard immunity threshold' (for Delta at this time of year) I anticipate them having another week or so of high cases and then dropping dramatically. Hospitalization and death will follow a similar cure with the normal delay.

Unless the Omicrone variant is a bad as predicted and messes things up.

What did it see?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    A very enlightening call-in (yes really) on Any Answers right now.
    Entire programme on the child killing.
    Calls from professionals only in the Child Protection field.
    A field in absolute shambles from the sounds of it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Starmer gaffe. He just insults the most popular children's TV character of the decade's theme park in the way only a North London intellectual snob could.

“I have been to Peppa Pig World, of course I have. It’s dreadful.” Keir Starmer

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1467065497304903683?s=20

A North London intellectual snob. Hmm ; is that Boris Johnson, when he was living in Islington, paying effusive tribute in print to London's multiculturalism in order to be elected mayor, and getting paid by the BBC to swan off to Italy to make programmes about the make-up of the Roman Empire ?

A couple of years later, on other hand, he was in the Commons ranting about a "Surrender Bill" and whipping up the far right, at the behest of Cummings. A Peter Sellers-like chameleon.
    I've read your post and can't see which part of it refers to snobbery by Johnson.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

The idea that the Zionists have the control over the money and the press to make everybody believe crazy things like support for organisations like Hamas might be antisemitic is the sort of antisemitic trope that used to be represented in cartoons of the Zionist tentacles wrapped around the world.

I was, jokingly, saying if Israel has the big swinging tentacles they should use them.
  • Options
    China touting its “whole process democracy”…
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=319959

… Ye, her fellow independent, said she did not know what "whole process democracy" meant but it was not the version of democracy that she had studied and understood as representing universal values.

"I'll just say that if I put the words whole process democracy on a T-shirt, and wear it outside, I would 100 per cent be charged with picking quarrels and provoking trouble," she said, referring to the catch-all crime often used to muzzle dissent in China...
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

The idea that the Zionists have the control over the money and the press to make everybody believe crazy things like support for organisations like Hamas might be antisemitic is the sort of antisemitic trope that used to be represented in cartoons of the Zionist tentacles wrapped around the world.

I was, jokingly, saying if Israel has the big swinging tentacles they should use them.
    They do use them. They've had every POTUS in living memory in their pocket.
  • Options

1 a piece with Malky now after his earlier win. Maybe I’m not mare of the week for once!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

People don't have to wear masks outside AFAIK.
    Tricky; lots of people (including large numbers of kids/youths) huddled around and under covered stalls, so it still makes sense as a precaution.

Our unjabbed anti-vaxxer friend was not wearing one.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

No, actually HIV. The Australian one used a neutered version of HIV as a delivery vector (which was, looking back, a completely stupid idea), Ad5 seems to almost lower natural defences against HIV.
    Here's a fact check from Reuters:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-hiv-idUSKBN28R2WT
    "This is a reference to trials of a vaccine being developed by the biotech company CSL and The University of Queensland which used a fragment of a HIV virus protein as a component to stabilise the vaccine (here). Production was halted after trials showed that antibodies generated in response to the protein fragment could lead to false positives on some HIV tests (here).
    CSL told Reuters through email that the “vaccine candidate does not contain the HIV virus and there is no possibility that it could cause HIV. Follow up tests have confirmed a false positive reading in all phase 1 clinical trial participants, who demonstrated a reactive result in certain HIV tests.”
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2021
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Starmer gaffe. He just insults the most popular children's TV character of the decade's theme park in the way only a North London intellectual snob could.

“I have been to Peppa Pig World, of course I have. It’s dreadful.” Keir Starmer

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1467065497304903683?s=20

A North London intellectual snob. Hmm ; is that Boris Johnson, when he was living in Islington, paying effusive tribute in print to London's multiculturalism in order to be elected mayor, and getting paid by the BBC to swan off to Italy to make programmes about the make-up of the Roman Empire ?

A couple of years later, on other hand, he was in the Commons ranting about a "Surrender Bill" and whipping up the far right, at the behest of Cummings. A Peter Sellers-like chameleon.
    I've read your post and can't see which part of it refers to snobbery by Johnson.
    He's just a cultural chameleon ; an American-born, part-German and part-Turkish son of the global technocratic elite who spent time growing up in Brussels, a large amount of time living in Islington while making films for the BBC, and large parts of his early political career extolling the metropolitan virtues of the capital. None of these things make him a snob, just one of the world's leading hypocrites and play-actors.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693
    JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Not so. Suez crisis, for instance.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Breaking news mask update from Xmas shopping in Kent…!

I’d say compliance was 99% in shops. A few weird souls were wearing them on the street and in their own cars. Bless. Some people still sticking with the panto in the cafes of wearing it to their table and taking it off when they sit down. Some moronic places still have signs commanding you to sanitise your hands to “stop the spread of covid”. These are generally the same places where the management are wearing cloth masks.

I did comply with the mask mandate for the first time since about April because I’ve been feeling rather covidy for a week, even if the test came back negative. All in all it made what could have been quite a pleasant experience needlessly annoying.

Amazon from a laptop in the pub from now on this Xmas for me I’m afraid Mr High Street.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: looking interesting for qualifying. Mercedes should have the edge on race pace, though.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Not so. Suez crisis, for instance.
    OK Boomer
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

There's a difference, ofcourse, between having a certainly influential lobby on foreign policy, and the kind of monolithic influence across media, politics, international institutions, and much else, which is often imagined by the loopy.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    edited December 2021
    Fantastic bright cold weather today - I was out delivering Xmas cards to members and really enjoyed it. Friends who tell me that walking is better than staring at a screen might even have a point? A novel thought.

Sainsbury only about 80% masked, with one assistant and several customers not on board. It was more like 95% a few months ago.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: looking interesting for qualifying. Mercedes should have the edge on race pace, though.

That might not matter.
    Overtaking anyone not markedly slower looks as though it might be very difficult and/or dangerous. And as Norris pointed out, every single corner on the circuit is blind, so safety car incidents are quite likely.

I expect Merc to run soft, medium, medium in Q1,Q2 and Q3.
    They might even be tempted to try Q2 on the hard tyre.
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, grey and persistently rainy here (Yorkshire).

While I loathe masks, I'll be donning one next time I buy something from the supermarket.
  • Options
    Mr. B, yeah, caught a tiny bit of practice and the number of blind corners was surprising.
  • Options
    My arm is very painful today but other than that, no other symptoms from the booster. I had Moderna.
  • Options
    Mr. Battery, good to hear.
  • Options

Mr. B, yeah, caught a tiny bit of practice and the number of blind corners was surprising.

It’s a scary circuit - Silverstone speeds and Monaco walls.
  • Options

My arm is very painful today but other than that, no other symptoms from the booster. I had Moderna.

I also had a really painful arm after the last jab, cured only after two months by some stinging nettles. This seems to be a really common side-effect.
  • Options

Fantastic bright cold weather today - I was out delivering Xmas cards to members and really enjoyed it. Friends who tell me that walking is better than staring at a screen might even have a point? A novel thought.

Sainsbury only about 80% masked, with one assistant and several customers not on board. It was more like 95% a few months ago.

M&S (shopping for my mother) about 90%.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,348
    Foxy said:

Not much, I would think. There is no reasoning with the splitters. Though if I were SKS, I would restore the whip at some decent interval, perhaps as part of a more general amnesty. No need to create martyrs.
    It would be the height of madness to restore the whip to Corbyn given he never apologised for what he said and has gone further in getting involved with people who explicitly endorse the kind of conspiracy theories around complaints about antisemitism on the left that got them into deep trouble in the first place. It would be the end of any authority Starmer has, a green light to the toxic elements of the far left that they're in the right, and create uproar in the Jewish community, almost 90% of whom (acc to several polls) see Corbyn as personally antisemitic. The Tories would hang it around his neck as evidence Labour had learned nothing from 2019 and were still at heart a party of ranting Corbynistas. It's a bit sad that Labour has to act in the way that it does in taking a tough line that's excluding certain parts of the left in Labour, but it's Corbyn and many of his supporters' fault for simply refusing to take a long hard look at themselves and realise that too often their dislike of Israel strays into antisemitic conspiracy theory, language, and allying with people who really do hold dangerous extremist views. He's no martyr, except to his dwindling band of fans, media cheerleaders whose income depends on pushing grievance to a certain audience, who increasingly are on another planet to everyone else. Keep him out and ignore him. He'll fade into irrelevance except for the next time he just happens to be speaking alongside someone with some toxic views.
  • Options

I also had a really painful arm after the last jab, cured only after two months by some stinging nettles. This seems to be a really common side-effect.
    I as well. Got painful around 24hrs after the shot; fixed with paracetamol and a night’s sleep.
    Wouldn’t fancy foraging for nettles in this weather.
  • Options

I wasn't really paying attention in Sainsbury's New Cross Gate this morning, but I think mask wearing was near universal. It's been pretty well observed there since March 2020. We're a rules-abiding bunch in SE14.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    MJW said:

Foxy said:

It would be the height of madness to restore the whip to Corbyn given he never apologised for what he said and has gone further in getting involved with people who explicitly endorse the kind of conspiracy theories around complaints about antisemitism on the left that got them into deep trouble in the first place. It would be the end of any authority Starmer has, a green light to the toxic elements of the far left that they're in the right, and create uproar in the Jewish community, almost 90% of whom (acc to several polls) see Corbyn as personally antisemitic. The Tories would hang it around his neck as evidence Labour had learned nothing from 2019 and were still at heart a party of ranting Corbynistas. It's a bit sad that Labour has to act in the way that it does in taking a tough line that's excluding certain parts of the left in Labour, but it's Corbyn and many of his supporters' fault for simply refusing to take a long hard look at themselves and realise that too often their dislike of Israel strays into antisemitic conspiracy theory, language, and allying with people who really do hold dangerous extremist views. He's no martyr, except to his dwindling band of fans, media cheerleaders whose income depends on pushing grievance to a certain audience, who increasingly are on another planet to everyone else. Keep him out and ignore him. He'll fade into irrelevance except for the next time he just happens to be speaking alongside someone with some toxic views.
    I don't think this is doing Starmer any good. At the very least he needs to try and coax Corbyn into saying something slightly different, with the prospect of some sort of partial re-admission in return. None of Starmer's bust-ups with the left more broadly are doing him any favours, because a considerable part of the electorate just switches off and sees this as mood-music about moving back to the Blair years, rather than anything about the specific issue of anti-semitism. I think he should take a reasonably firm stand on the issue and draw a line under it, and then simultaneously offer olive branches to the left overall.
  • Options

Currently in the Smoke for the first time for 3 years. Feels totally normal other than the annoying masks.

That was the impression I got when I was there on Thursday.
  • Options

1 a piece with Malky now after his earlier win. Maybe I’m not mare of the week for once!
    Malky now two wins from 4 today. Super Stud. 🐴
  • Options
    I've often said I wanted to the first Governor of Yorkshire then the UK's first Directly Elected Dictator well now Michael Gove is making it happen.

EXCL: Swathes of England could elect ‘governors’ under Michael Gove’s levelling up plans

Target of all of England having a devolution deal with powers equivalent to London by 2030 set to feature in white paper

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1467063537461780481
  • Options
    Hamilton’s quick time was set on the hard tyres, and he was well adrift on the softs. That leaves Mercedes with a slight problem as all the teams have more sets of the softs than the other tyres.
    They should be able to run the soft in Q1, but they can’t in Q2 for obvious reasons, nor in Q3 as it’s not fast enough.
    Which potentially gives Red Bull a tyre advantage for the race in certain circumstances.
  • Options

I've often said I wanted to the first Governor of Yorkshire then the UK's first Directly Elected Dictator well now Michael Gove is making it happen.

EXCL: Swathes of England could elect ‘governors’ under Michael Gove’s levelling up plans

Target of all of England having a devolution deal with powers equivalent to London by 2030 set to feature in white paper

@TheScreamingGovernor .
  • Options
    Mr. B, sounds like an odd but entertaining situation.
  • Options

I've been Pfizered!

AZ, AZ, PF

I’m PF, PF and am not allowed my booster til January. I suspect it might be Moderna.
    PF, PF and PF booster. First, arm felt like I'd been kicked by a horse. Second no real reaction. Third, arm felt like I'd been kicked by a horse AND felt off, with a bad headache for a few hours.

Fair price to pay to (hopefully) stay out of hospital...
    Well done!

I had zero side-effects with either jag. Not even sore arm.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, governor? Not Grand Moff Eagles?
  • Options
    I now think the Lib Dems will narrowly win N Shropshire. I was initially sceptical but have changed my mind over the last week or so.

I reckon

LD 45
    Con 42
    Lab 8
    Others 5

Turnout 48%
  • Options

Popcorn time.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, governor? Not Grand Moff Eagles?

Nah, Moff is a typo/autocorrect disaster waiting to happen, plus Grand Moff Tarkin was a bit of a numpty.

Governor or Viceroy it is for me.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, the Trade Federation viceroy was not exactly stellar...

Also, Tarkin was great. Humbug to you.
  • Options

Mr. B, sounds like an odd but entertaining situation.

Possible yellow flag grid penalty for Hamilton. That could seal the championship.
    To be decided an hour before qualifying (why so late ?).
  • Options

Malky now two wins from 4 today. Super Stud. 🐴

Yay!

Samarrive 8-1

Dance with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJp_zXAUFg

• Options
    Mr. B, possibly.

The Gasly/Mazepin situation was not a good one (not Hamilton's fault, of course).
  • Options

Viceroy has great lineage.

Tarkin was arrogant, 'Evacuate, In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!' is the epitome of arrogance and general numptiness.

Also he missed the fact that the children of his de facto number 2 were behind the plot to destroy the Death Star, the biggest inside job in the galaxy.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Disappointed they are going with “governor” instead of “sheriff”.

It’s high time we had another sheriff of Nottingham(shire).
  • Options

Popcorn time.
    I seem to recall reading yesterday that JRM has said a categorical 'no' to this in Cabinet meetings. Presumably he represents at least some backbench thinking on this rather than just what the 18th century would think.

So, yes, time to get some popcorn ready.
  • Options
    Some on Twitter observes.

"Governor" feels like the sort of title Oliver Cromwell would have given them. Can't we have Counts or Sheriffs instead?
  • Options

MJW said:

Foxy said:

I don't think this is doing Starmer any good. At the very least he needs to try and coax Corbyn into saying something slightly different, with the prospect of some sort of partial re-admission in return. None of Starmer's bust-ups with the left more broadly are doing him any favours, because a considerable part of the electorate just switches off and sees this as mood-music about moving back to the Blair years, rather than anything about the specific issue of anti-semitism. I think he should take a reasonably firm stand on the issue and draw a line under it, and then simultaneously offer olive branches to the left overall.
    Problem I have is the idea that Corbyn is not allowed to defend himself personally against the more insane media attacks and wackier views from the posters on this site even if one thinks he could have handled things better and not spoken out immediately in the aftermath of the EHRC report.

I think whether he should be allowed to stand again/the whip is more of a grey area and even I'm not too fussed about that either way personally (the fact that Margaret Hodge is standing down will defuse things as well) at but party member expulsion would be a case for legal action IMO.
  • Options

Gauleiters?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

I now think the Lib Dems will narrowly win N Shropshire. I was initially sceptical but have changed my mind over the last week or so.

I reckon

LD 45
    Con 42
    Lab 8
    Others 5

Turnout 48%

The Tories would certainly win if Paterson wasn't the outgoing MP. It's very hard to assess quite how much impact that will have. The new Tory candidate seems very good, but unfortunately for him it's about Paterson and Boris.

On balance I think it'll be a very narrow Tory hold, and I think that the turnout will be up on Old Bexley & Sidcup precisely because the Tories have managed to mobilise some of their vote.

I continue to fail to understand why anyone at all would vote LD though.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Tarkin was arrogant. Still a very good villain.

Darth Vader still holds the top spots in the intergalactic Worst Bring Your Child to Work Day list. It's hard to beat blowing up your daughter's adopted home planet.
  • Options

Gauleiters?
    Nah, that wanker Alex Salmond ruined the word Gauleiters.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,348

MJW said:

Foxy said:

I don't think this is doing Starmer any good. At the very least he needs to try and coax Corbyn into saying something slightly different, with the prospect of some sort of partial re-admission in return. None of Starmer's bust-ups with the left more broadly are doing him any favours, because a considerable part of the electorate just see this as mood-music about moving back to the Blair years, rather than anything about the specific issue of anti-semitism. I think he should take a reasonably firm stand on the issue and draw a line under it, while simultaneously offering olive branches to the left overall.
    Oh there definitely should be olive branches - for example big policy proposals that encompass key wants from the left, but look, this can't be one. I think anyone suggesting Corbyn be readmitted just fundamentally misunderstands the seriousness of his behaviour and how Starmer and Labour have to draw a line if the left refuse to do so themselves. Letting him back in would be seen by those who have pushed the idea that it's all 'smears' rather than deeply held objections to his and their actions as a tacit admission they were right. It means the wound opened by antisemitism on the left will continue to fester. I have a feeling only the most fanatical will reject the chance of implementing policies they claim to believe in for the sake of one old man's right to defend the indefensible. It's of course not ideal that Labour's left flank is in pretty much open warfare with the leadership, but the alternative - having them inside and claiming vindication and power is far worse.
  • Options

"Governor" feels like the sort of title Oliver Cromwell would have given them. Can't we have Counts or Sheriffs instead?

Is Gover proposing to reinstate the Heptarchy after Betty Windsor shakes off this mortal coil? Bad luck people of Sussex, we know who your first Queen (and Prince Consort) will be.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Any attempt to put directly-elected mayors (or governors) atop county councils will be controversial, as it will beg the question - what are county councillors for?

Although London devolution is generally deemed a moderate success, nobody has yet figured out what the London assembly members are for.

Gove would be better advised to simply devolve to existing power structures.
  • Options
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693

Tarkin was arrogant, 'Evacuate, In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!' is the epitome of arrogance and general numptiness.

Also he missed the fact that the children of his de facto number 2 were behind the plot to destroy the Death Star, the biggest inside job in the galaxy.
    Satrap.
  • Options

Any attempt to put directly-elected mayors (or governors) atop county councils will be controversial, as it will beg the question - what are county councillors for?

Although London devolution is generally deemed a moderate success, nobody has yet figured out what the London assembly members are for.

You know what we don’t have enough? Politicians. Said no one.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

You know what we don’t have enough? Politicians. Said no one.
    That’s the general tenor of comments underneath the Times article, and it’s the same sentiment that foiled the North East Assembly idea.

It’s true, though. We don’t need *more* politicians, we just to need to give the existing local ones actual powers and money.
  • Options

I thought in Yorkshire they like blunt honesty? Chief narcissist and bullshitter of Yorkshire?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Satrap.
    Pro-consul.
    Vice-reine.
    Nabob.
  • Options

I reckon

LD 45
    Con 42
    Lab 8
    Others 5

Turnout 48%

Why do you think the Tory share will drop by about twice as much as it did in Bexley?
  • Options

I can remember Margaret Thatcher complaining that the word “county” was inappropriate in England, as the country had never had the office of ‘count’, which was a German/Dutch title.

Pre-Union, and for a long time post-Union, the Scottish “counties” were “shires” (in contrast to the politically separate burghs). Don’t really know the English history.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    moonshine said:

Breaking news mask update from Xmas shopping in Kent…!

I’d say compliance was 99% in shops. A few weird souls were wearing them on the street and in their own cars. Bless. Some people still sticking with the panto in the cafes of wearing it to their table and taking it off when they sit down. Some moronic places still have signs commanding you to sanitise your hands to “stop the spread of covid”. These are generally the same places where the management are wearing cloth masks.

I did comply with the mask mandate for the first time since about April because I’ve been feeling rather covidy for a week, even if the test came back negative. All in all it made what could have been quite a pleasant experience needlessly annoying.

Amazon from a laptop in the pub from now on this Xmas for me I’m afraid Mr High Street.

The sanitize hands thing could be dropped. We've known for over a year that the spread is via aerosols and large droplets rather than surfaces.

Not sure what the latest science on where people pick it up from, but the link below gives an excellent summary.

Perhaps:

Aerosol: more than 65%
    Large Droplet: 30%
    Surface fomites: less than 5%

https://first10em.com/covid-19-is-spread-by-aerosols-an-evidence-review/
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

Exercise is brilliant, even in cold weather. Did a run earlier (of course!) and just been out for a pre-dusk bike ride with the little 'un. Only five miles, and quite a cold breeze, but it blew all the cobwebs away.

Winter can be the best walking weather: clear blue skies, and shimmering blades of white-bearded grass underfoot.

Spring is often little more than mud, mud, mud. I prefer winter for walking.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited December 2021

Gove would be better advised to simply devolve to existing power structures.

The problem with the London Assembly is that is has no legislative powers.

What England needs is a parliament, not a carve-up by Gove the Jock.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

I can remember Margaret Thatcher complaining that the word “county” was inappropriate in England, as the country had never had the office of ‘count’, which was a German/Dutch title.

Pre-Union, and for a long time post-Union, the Scottish “counties” were “shires” (in contrast to the politically separate burghs). Don’t really know the English history.
    Historically (c19) some of the most pro-Union people were Scottish. I find it quite hard to see what's changed. Perhaps an enthusiasm for opportunity then, and a percieved right to opportunity now?
This discussion has been closed.