Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In terms of dates the ComRes LAB 6% lead poll is still the latest – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Pulpstar said:

I think it was @Stocky ? who mentioned the bet, but I laid to win £100 on Starmer exit 2023 today @ 2.6, seems excellent value. No challenge looks imminent, and he probably holds on long enough even if he gets tonked in an autumn 2023 election.

That's a stonking bet.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869

FT

Senior conservatives have said they are prepared to back a ban on consultancy constituency work by MP's to staunch the accusations of sleaze in a move that could lead to a clear out of veteran Tory backbenchers

Now that is something I support 100%

Fixed it for you.
    MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

northern Tory MP:

“this is going to drive colleagues in Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and the North East absolutely bananas…they can’t just rip cash out like this. It’s tone deaf as well as politically dumb”

https://www.ft.com/content/1b32c2db-12de-41d8-89c0-8a454fec378a

North East newspapers are going for the jugular, as they have been for a couple of weeks tbh. They have been the conduit for the Tories to highlight all Labour's failings and talk up what they are going to do. Now the Tories are in, as hypocrisy and missed promises pile up they are almost gleefully poking it with a stick saying "this is shit"
    Fair chance BJ will be gone at this rate within 12 months unless he does an almighty u-turn. If Rishi doesn't recognise it, he will be gone too. Could be a time for a surprise candidate for the Tory leadership.
    I'm on Penny M at 50.
    Roger said:

Roger said:

OT. For those who enjoy watching TV commercials one of the best directors around died last week aged 50. Here's a favourite. One for Axe/Lynx.Scroll down to number 5. Ringan Ledwidge.

https://rianswart.co.za/my-favourite-ringan-ledwidge-commercials/

I never watch tv commercials, they are a waste of space
    Well you're missing out. Try watching with an open mind. The music was original and perfect and great. The concept was brilliant. The styling and casting was faultless the detail was faultless and you could watch it repeatedly because it doesn't get boring. By contrast I saw Clint Eastwood's latest effort today which despite lasting two hours longer was almost unwatchable
    He's surely not still in the saddle.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited November 2021
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it was @Stocky ? who mentioned the bet, but I laid to win £100 on Starmer exit 2023 today @ 2.6, seems excellent value. No challenge looks imminent, and he probably holds on long enough even if he gets tonked in an autumn 2023 election.

That's a stonking bet.
    Yes. The risk - as Farooq pointed out - is an early GE, LP defeat and Starmer resignation.

But part of my reasoning is that:

1) Starmer may not resign even if he loses the next GE and

2) the LP take at least three months* to elect a new leader and the terms of the Smarkets bet is that the new leader election date is used for settlement not the Starmer I'm going to step down date.

So, in effect, the bet is a lay of him leaving Sept ish 2023 or before.

Plus - I don't think the GE will be until 2024 anyway.

* I picked up a wodge of cash with that knowledge on Corbyn leaving date
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT. For those who enjoy watching TV commercials one of the best directors around died last week aged 50. Here's a favourite. One for Axe/Lynx.Scroll down to number 5. Ringan Ledwidge.

https://rianswart.co.za/my-favourite-ringan-ledwidge-commercials/

I never watch tv commercials, they are a waste of space
    Well you're missing out. Try watching with an open mind. The music was original and perfect and great. The concept was brilliant. The styling and casting was faultless the detail was faultless and you could watch it repeatedly because it doesn't get boring. By contrast I saw Clint Eastwood's latest effort today which despite lasting two hours longer was almost unwatchable
    He's surely not still in the saddle.
    'Fraid so. He's now 91. Women old enough to be his grand daughter were throwing themselves at him. One of the privileges of being your own director but it looked a little ridiculous
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

DougSeal said:

Just submitted my first assignment for this MA I rashly decided upon during lockdown. If anyone wants to discuss major studies of English Reformation iconoclasm published since 1973 then I’m your man. In the meantime I can waste more time being passive aggressive on here.

Okay. 😺

Trying to get to the nub of the reformation in as little words as possible, The reformation in general simply boiled down to how much magic, and getting paid for magic, is acceptable, and how much magic is wrong for the church to continue to preach and engage in? And the English reformation was little different?

How way off am I?
    It’s a commonly held view. It’s the Protestants who tend to describe the pre-Reformation church as practicing “magic” though…
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,086
    edited November 2021
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Just submitted my first assignment for this MA I rashly decided upon during lockdown. If anyone wants to discuss major studies of English Reformation iconoclasm published since 1973 then I’m your man. In the meantime I can waste more time being passive aggressive on here.

Okay. 😺

Trying to get to the nub of the reformation in as little words as possible, The reformation in general simply boiled down to how much magic, and getting paid for magic, is acceptable, and how much magic is wrong for the church to continue to preach and engage in? And the English reformation was little different?

How way off am I?
    It’s a commonly held view. It’s the Protestants who tend to describe the pre-Reformation church as practicing “magic” though…
    Depends how you define 'reformation'.

AIUI (superfically :smile: ) Luther was objecting to the *abuse* of magic - charging of money for quick entry to heaven, and so on, and the system attempted to crack down. So ultimately it split.

It's quite a good trick, being a rentier controlling salvation.

Plus all the theological stuff, which I am not addressing on a Tuesday.
This discussion has been closed.