Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In terms of dates the ComRes LAB 6% lead poll is still the latest – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

The football is strangely fascinating. England eight up against ten men. A bizarre case study in sporting imbalance.

Nah, put on Northern Ireland v Italy. Would be amusing if Italy don't qualify again.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Reaction to HS2 isn't uniform across the north, Rother Valley is delighted it'll be scrapped for one judging by the Facebook page.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Is it safe to book those flights to Qatar yet?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    .@KwasiKwarteng has apologised to parliamentary standards Commissioner Kathryn Stone, saying:
    "I did not mean to express doubt about your ability to discharge your role and I apologise for any upset or distress my choice of words may have caused."

#ToryCorruption #TorySleaze https://twitter.com/snigskitchen/status/1460353294950359047/photo/1

I regret my remarks and would like to apologise for them up to - but, to be clear, not including - the point at which doing so would imply any obligation to resign.
    https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/1460314679293665283
  • Options

The football is strangely fascinating. England eight up against ten men. A bizarre case study in sporting imbalance.

Scotland beating Denmark. Oh yes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Reaction to HS2 isn't uniform across the north, Rother Valley is delighted it'll be scrapped for one judging by the Facebook page.

I expect it is mixed but of course a gift for the opposition
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Cicero said:

Omnium said:

Someone needs to explain the cost of HS2 to Leeds and when trains will actually run v whatever proposals are to be announced on Thursday

It seems billions are to be invested in Northern transport and of course the question for labour will be will they build it?
    I think it's clear that you don't want Labour to build it. The Tories are a little better as to actual constrution. The private sector is what you want.
    I still do not understand how on Gods green Earth the HS project can cost over £120 billion, Even the most expensive TGV line in France only came to €20 million per km. We are projecting a cost that is over twenty times this. We are told that the bulk of this cost is in the approach tunnels to Euston, so it is even more insane to cut the Northern part of the project. The Northern English cities are right to be be spitting feathers, but all of us should be furious that the cost is so far from any sensible number. If the UK continues to f%&k up its infrastructure expenditure like this then the collapse is more advanced that we knew.
    Because the published numbers incorporate any amount of fiddle factors, and stuff that is left out of the cost of TGV lines.

Ovbs some big things like property compensation for our crazy SE property prices, but other stuff like where the risk has been placed and needs to be costed, I think inclusion of stations, higher specification - all kinds of things.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    tlg86 said:

Nah, put on Northern Ireland v Italy. Would be amusing if Italy don't qualify again.
    They are near certainties to win their play off anyway, so I can’t be bothered to watch it! (That said I hope they do fail to qualify automatically)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    TimT said:

Is it safe to book those flights to Qatar yet?

It is indeed!
  • Options

Meanwhile in more "lets shit the bed" news
    https://twitter.com/MatthewGreen02/status/1460346523347267585

I understand from multiple sources that the Tory candidate from Birmingham won’t do any media interviews for a week because he ‘needs to learn about the constituency’.
    It appears the Tories are doing their best to lose #NorthShropshire to the
    @LibDems

Bit late aren't you?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I expect the Gov't has signed a whole bunch of terrible contracts which means the likes of Balfour, Costain Carillion & Siemens will be absolutely coining it for doing nothing.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

They are near certainties to win their play off anyway, so I can’t be bothered to watch it! (That said I hope they do fail to qualify automatically)
    No they are not. They could easily end up having to play Portugal.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I expect the Gov't has signed a whole bunch of terrible contracts which means the likes of Balfour, Carillion & Siemens will be absolutely coining it for doing nothing.

I mean how can they not, the certainty that this would take place >.>
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I expect the Gov't has signed a whole bunch of terrible contracts which means the likes of Balfour, Carillion & Siemens will be absolutely coining it for doing nothing.

Carillion went bust...
  • Options

I understand from multiple sources that the Tory candidate from Birmingham won’t do any media interviews for a week because he ‘needs to learn about the constituency’.
    @LibDems

Go Liberals.

Johnson needs a good shellacking here.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Think England have got this, TBH
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Pulpstar said:

Carillion went bust...
    Hah - well Costain then :p

https://railuk.com/rail-news/network-rails-top-20-suppliers-for-2016-2017/
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    Leon said:

Think England have got this, TBH

Never mind that, Italy are heading for the playoffs.
  • Options

To @RochdalePioneers’ point, I can see a cheeky ad campaign

Boris: all talk, no trousers

(I’ll leave it to PBers to imagine the artwork)

If this was just another policy hanging around for years then ok. But no, this was a Boris special. Up to Manchester. Big speech - I WILL BUILD YOUR THINGS. Wins lots of seats. And now wants to cancel it? Worse, seemingly to assume people are stupid and spin the cancellation as a Good Thing.

We'd already heard from red wall Tories at their extreme anger being blackmailed to voting for wrong or your towns fund gets it. And now this. Is Boris that desperate for letters to the '22?
    This is so bad that Johnson was forced to describe as "fantastic" this afternoon.

We know the snake oil is in full flow when he reverts to that kind of boosterism language.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    edited November 2021
    Trouble oop North:

The northern papers all run the same brutal splash tomorrow on the government’s impending rail plan and the watering down of HS2/Northern Powerhouse Rail

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1460349214488207366?s=20
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

No they are not. They could easily end up having to play Portugal.
    Oh! That would be funny!
  • Options
    Commentator on England has just said England have not scored as many as this in a competitive game

Competitive!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    San Marino has the same population as... Morecambe !
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited November 2021

@LibDems

Nothing wrong with the Tory candidate making himself known out and about the constituency first before he meets the media.

It is not as if he has no connections to the Shropshire area at all even if he is now a barrister based in Birmingham. He trained at the hospital there and was based at a barracks in the area as well as a former NHS consultant and army officer.

He also of course will want to find a suitable house without just flicking through Country Life
  • Options
    Italy don't exactly look like a team that needs to score twice in the final few minutes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

San Marino has the same population as... Morecambe !

They did score the first goal against Graham Taylor's England of course though Southgate's England is a rather better prospect
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    Just submitted my first assignment for this MA I rashly decided upon during lockdown. If anyone wants to discuss major studies of English Reformation iconoclasm published since 1973 then I’m your man. In the meantime I can waste more time being passive aggressive on here.
  • Options
    End of times

GOAL Scotland 2-0 Denmark
  • Options

End of times

Could make them a seed in the draw, which would be a big boost.
  • Options

Trouble oop North:

The northern papers all run the same brutal splash tomorrow on the government’s impending rail plan and the watering down of HS2/Northern Powerhouse Rail

What time is the u-turn?
  • Options
    We should have had eleven. Robbed
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    I'm with @LostPassword.

Why on earth did they a) cancel it; and b) make the announcement now.
  • Options
    I missed this classic:

HarperCollinsUK
    @HarperCollinsUK
    · Nov 13
    As we told the Mail before it ran its story about HarperCollins and Matt Hancock, we have no knowledge of such a book and are not in talks. The story is incorrect.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Italy heading for the playoffs then!
  • Options

Trouble oop North:

What time is the u-turn?
    Well, technically if they change their mind it wouldn't be a u-turn as the policy gets unveiled by Michael Green in the Commons on Thursday. The Deputy Speaker has already responded to an UQ earlier about it all being leaked with another bollocking of the treasury bench.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    edited November 2021
    Pulpstar said:

I think it was @Stocky ? who mentioned the bet, but I laid to win £100 on Starmer exit 2023 today @ 2.6, seems excellent value. No challenge looks imminent, and he probably holds on long enough even if he gets tonked in an autumn 2023 election.

Yes, me, I've been laying it for a while at 2.5 or thereabouts.

Edit: just checked and I first laid it at 1.69! would you believe then at other prices up to 2.52.
  • Options
    Mega for Scotland
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

Omnium said:

Someone needs to explain the cost of HS2 to Leeds and when trains will actually run v whatever proposals are to be announced on Thursday

It seems billions are to be invested in Northern transport and of course the question for labour will be will they build it?
    I think it's clear that you don't want Labour to build it. The Tories are a little better as to actual constrution. The private sector is what you want.
    To be fair the cost and time scale needs explaining and just how the investment proposed mitigates the loss of HS2 east
    Lets assume for a minute they had decided they can't afford HS2 East and accordingly have pulled it. Whilst I would disagree with the decision it would at least be clear. Instead they are cancelling it but are still building scores of miles of it for billions and billions and billions.

For all that they complain about profligate Labour wasting money, what do you call this? Then when the wailing and screaming starts from red wall Tories who can see both the lipstip and the pig, more lipstick will be offered.

Northern Powerhouse Rail - properly connecting Greater Manchester and West Yprkshire - has not been "toned down" as some are reporting. It has been *cancelled*.
    If any Government had the political will and wit, HS2E could be financed by any number of buy now, pay next century schemes.

TBF to Johnson this doesn't look like something he would have cancelled, he is normally of the opinion jam today, debt called in long after his own and the voters' aged demise.
    That's the interesting aspect of all this. Why cancel it? Most of the money wouldn't need to be spent for many years yet, so what's the upside of taking the criticism for cancelling it?

The only options I can think of that make any sense to me are:

1. The public finances are in much worse shape then we've been led to believe, and so the Treasury is conducting a series of near-emergency expenditure control measures. Any other signs of a Treasury starting to panic?

2. Johnson really desperately wants to spend a lot of money on some new shiny bauble, but Sunak won't let him unless he cancels some spending elsewhere. So, what's the shiny bauble going to be?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.
    There is a Garden Bridge just waiting to be built over the Thames... or between Stranraer and Belfast.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

End of times

Apparently they are now guaranteed to play their play off at Hampden? But can they avoid Italy and Portugal in the draw?
  • Options
    Denmark's World Cup qualification campaign before tonight:

WWWWWWWWW

Then they went to Hampden Park.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 https://twitter.com/WilliamHill/status/1460361058028294149/photo/1
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    What do we reckon everyone - right-wing extremist?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-59298586
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Bellingham strike was also harshly ruled out. Arguably would have been a dozen with a slightly more lenient ref!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

End of times

Apparently they are now guaranteed to play their play off at Hampden? But can they avoid Italy and Portugal in the draw?
    It's 12 teams fighting for three places. So I guess that means Scotland are seeded and will be at home in the semi final. It's then luck of the draw as to which tie they are paired with. Could be Italy, Portugal or one of the other three seeds.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Leon said:

The Bellingham strike was also harshly ruled out. Arguably would have been a dozen with a slightly more lenient ref!
    Would have been hilarious though.

Still, good enough win. And good to see with Scotland.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeL said:

Big Picture Question:

After the Budget, everyone said Rishi had let spending rip, highest public spending for goodness knows how many years etc.

Yet, Govt broke triple lock for this year, went ahead with £20 UC reversal, rejected vast majority of Education catch-up tsar's demands and now not going ahead with part of HS2.

OK, the above are maybe not huge individually but how do we reconcile this?

ie What IS the Govt going to be spending record amounts on? (And it's not Covid, we are talking day to day spending in future years).

Would be interested in mature, rounded, intelligent explanation - not partisan knockabout banter.

You’re new here, right?
  • Options
    Prime Minister Boris Johnson committing to building Northern Powerhouse Rail from Manchester to Leeds, July 2019.

https://twitter.com/DavidFrankal/status/1459974465337675776?s=20
  • Options

Prime Minister Boris Johnson committing to building Northern Powerhouse Rail from Manchester to Leeds, July 2019.

Labour attack ad:

Johnny Rotten: "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

He takes his political promises about as seriously as his wedding vows.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MikeL said:

Big Picture Question:

After the Budget, everyone said Rishi had let spending rip, highest public spending for goodness knows how many years etc.

Yet, Govt broke triple lock for this year, went ahead with £20 UC reversal, rejected vast majority of Education catch-up tsar's demands and now not going ahead with part of HS2.

OK, the above are maybe not huge individually but how do we reconcile this?

ie What IS the Govt going to be spending record amounts on? (And it's not Covid, we are talking day to day spending in future years).

Would be interested in mature, rounded, intelligent explanation - not partisan knockabout banter.

You’re new here, right?
    The answer is the NHS.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    MrEd said:

Who did you have in mind? Emad Al Swealmeen or the Trump supporting poster who posed the question.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

End of times

It's 12 teams fighting for three places. So I guess that means Scotland are seeded and will be at home in the semi final. It's then luck of the draw as to which tie they are paired with. Could be Italy, Portugal or one of the other three seeds.
    12 teams fighting for three places? Gonna be a hard ask for Scotland and Wales I dare say.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Scott_xP said:

The Education Secretary doesn't declare £1.3 million he earned from a second job working for an oil company because the money went through a company he set up called "Zahawi and Zahawi".

I'll watch my language but they really are taking the p**s now.

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1460273632077299712

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-minister-nadhim-zahawi-pockets-25457511

A nice little earner on the side.
  • Options

Playing these minnows is absurd.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    DougSeal said:

Just submitted my first assignment for this MA I rashly decided upon during lockdown. If anyone wants to discuss major studies of English Reformation iconoclasm published since 1973 then I’m your man. In the meantime I can waste more time being passive aggressive on here.

Okay. 😺

Trying to get to the nub of the reformation in as little words as possible, The reformation in general simply boiled down to how much magic, and getting paid for magic, is acceptable, and how much magic is wrong for the church to continue to preach and engage in? And the English reformation was little different?

How way off am I?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

isam said:

Lead now at 1% down from 6%

Redfield & Wilton Strategies

Labour Lead in our GB Voting Intention for the Second Time This Year.

Full results (15 Nov):

Labour 37% (-1)
    Conservative 36% (-)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (-)
    Green 5% (-1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (-)
    Reform UK 4% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 10 Nov

Different pollsters, though? The 6 point lead was ComRes.

Sir Keir ahead on net satisfaction now, -9 playing Boris’s -10, though Boris still leads on Gross Positives, 35 to 26, which I think is the more important metric
    My apologies I got that wrong

However this part really stands out

Pluralities of respondents say they do not know which of the two ‘tells the truth’ (46%), ‘is creative’ (43%), ‘prioritises the environment’ (40%), or ‘has the better foreign policy strategy’ (40%).

46% do not know which of the two tells the truth !!!!!!!
    It takes a big man to apologise
    They don't call him BigG for nothing.

Ahem.
    How do we know he isn’t just sitting in a particularly small chair?
    Believe you me at 17.5 stone and 6'1, I do not sit in a small chair

I have been this size and weight most my adult life

And yes, I do apologise when I am wrong
    Actually not to overlook it is five red field polls in a row giving Libdems 10.

Also although it’s news now, the down curve in Conservative support actually started in June. The upward curve of Lib Dem’s began in June. The upward curve for Labour began in May.
    To be honest I know many follow polling with a keen interest, but the only relevant polling for GE23/24 is a long way away

A week is a long time in politics and HMG has just learnt that to their cost
    You are absolutely right Big G. I think mid term polls might be soft and meaningless too, unless there’s indication of strong emotion and record unpopularity.

However, when do you think people actually do make up their minds? Some months before an election, during the campaign? Or just days before?

Or is it every hour between now and general election day voters are being lost all the time? It might actually happening now right up to voting day? One type of decision loses this one, another mistake loses another etc

And of course, if behind in polls it takes away option of calling one when you think it might be best time for you, which I suspect politicians have exploited in the past?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

End of times

12 teams fighting for three places? Gonna be a hard ask for Scotland and Wales I dare say.
    In with a shout, but would not be surprised if neither make it.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The stripping of the altars? And how is your eel?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

End of times

Scotland going in with momentum. Longest competitive winning streak since 1932...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

End of times

Scotland going in with momentum. Longest competitive winning streak since 1932...
    Yep, definitely have something about them at the moment. I think the draw will be crucial.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

I’ve never grasped why they don’t hold a mini tournament for the microstates and the winner goes into the qualification proper.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Foxy said:

Yes, but sometimes a minnow stops being as much of a minnow for a while, and you won't know unless you play them.

It is why the Nations League is the best innovation in international football for decades. The minnows get to play each other and have a chance for some genuine competition.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MrEd said:

Slob. If he had walked the 1.4 miles he would have been immune from traffic holdups.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

isam said:

Full results (15 Nov):

Labour 37% (-1)
    Conservative 36% (-)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (-)
    Green 5% (-1)
    Reform UK 4% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 10 Nov

Sir Keir ahead on net satisfaction now, -9 playing Boris’s -10, though Boris still leads on Gross Positives, 35 to 26, which I think is the more important metric

Pluralities of respondents say they do not know which of the two ‘tells the truth’ (46%), ‘is creative’ (43%), ‘prioritises the environment’ (40%), or ‘has the better foreign policy strategy’ (40%).

Ahem.

Also although it’s news now, the down curve in Conservative support actually started in June. The upward curve of Lib Dem’s began in June. The upward curve for Labour began in May.
    To be honest I know many follow polling with a keen interest, but the only relevant polling for GE23/24 is a long way away

You are absolutely right Big G. I think mid term polls might be soft and meaningless too, unless there’s indication of strong emotion and record unpopularity.

However, when do you think people actually do make up their minds? Some months before an election, during the campaign? Or just days before?

Or is it every hour between now and general election day voters are being lost all the time? It might actually happening now right up to voting day? One type of decision loses this one, another mistake loses another etc

And of course, if behind in polls it takes away option of calling one when you think it might be best time for you, which I suspect politicians have exploited in the past?
    I think the response is 'events' and while most governments have difficulty mid terms I expect by early 23 things may be clearer
  • Options
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    11m
    YORKSHIRE POST: Levelling up agenda is in doubt #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

Foxy, they are all minnows compared to England

As the creators of this sport, like so many global sports, we should always be guaranteed a final place (ditto rugby, cricket, tennis, golf, everything really) and then all the others should compete to see who can face us. Like a kind of Security Council Seat of Soccer

Same goes for the Arts, really. And politics
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The Education Secretary doesn't declare £1.3 million he earned from a second job working for an oil company because the money went through a company he set up called "Zahawi and Zahawi".

I'll watch my language but they really are taking the p**s now.

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1460273632077299712

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-minister-nadhim-zahawi-pockets-25457511

A nice little earner on the side.
    Just to help me understand it correctly, is the accusation they only get this money because of their closeness to government decision making? if so, is it obvious which law that breaks?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

As the creators of this sport, like so many global sports, we should always be guaranteed a final place (ditto rugby, cricket, tennis, golf, everything really) and then all the others should compete to see who can face us. Like a kind of Security Council Seat of Soccer

And Gin.
  • Options
    FT

Senior conservatives have said they are prepared to back a ban on consultancy work by MP's to staunch the accusations of sleaze in a move that could lead to a clear out of veteran Tory backbenchers

Now that is something I support 100%
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,469
    Missed the match but looks like my bet on more than 8.5 goals paid off.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

Slob. If he had walked the 1.4 miles he would have been immune from traffic holdups.
    If he had hailed a cab, from a random place like Piccadilly station, rather than booking one to pick him up at home, he would have not laid the paper trail that led so quickly to his mates and his safe house. So certainly stupid.
  • Options
    Who could he have in mind?

He [Johnson] went on to make a plea for international cooperation, saying the Cop26 summit was perhaps helped by “a collective sense of embarrassment at the way internationalism failed us during Covid: the squabbles over PPE, the crazy decisions of some countries to try to stop the export of vaccines to others, something we were victims of at the start of this year.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/15/west-must-choose-between-russian-gas-and-supporting-ukraine-pm-warns
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

End of times

They need to avoid Italy and Portugal in the draw, but it’s odds on one of them will have to face one of them.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Okay. 😺

Trying to get to the nub of the reformation in as little words as possible, The reformation in general simply boiled down to how much magic, and getting paid for magic, is acceptable, and how much magic is wrong for the church to continue to preach and engage in? And the English reformation was little different?

How way off am I?
    No the reformation was fundamentally political one. Does the King decide what is preached, and passed down by a hierarchical Church. Or does an educated congregation take lessons straight from the source and decide?

It is no coincidence that both our roundheads and the Dutch Republics were Reformed Protestants. It is the beginnings of democracy in the modern era.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    edited November 2021

Trouble oop North:

What time is the u-turn?
    The advantage of modern politics trains* is that you don't have to physically turn the party train around, I believe, you just have to get your leader driver to turn around and take a short walk and then the whole party train happily goes off in the opposite direction as if nothing had happened.

Otherwise, there would be urgent need for a turntable in the next few days.

*someone who actually knows about this stuff will likely correct me...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

Leon said:

Foxy said:

And Gin.
    And concentration camps? 😬
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

And cuisine. Don't forget we have exported fish, chips, and guacamole around the globe.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

@LibDems

The source of the tweet is a bit biased though
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

And cuisine. Don't forget we have exported fish, chips, and guacamole around the globe.
    And THE SANDWICH
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

End of times

And the painting over of the murals. And the smashing of the windows.

Are there many good examples left to visit of what parish churches looked like in England before all that change to them?
  • Options
    Oh FFS

NEW: An MP - I think it was Bill Cash - just objected to the standards motion (finally approving the committee's findings on Owen Paterson) meaning the motion falls and the government will have to reschedule

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1460367865152946185
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

isam said:

Full results (15 Nov):

Labour 37% (-1)
    Conservative 36% (-)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (-)
    Green 5% (-1)
    Reform UK 4% (+1)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 10 Nov

Ahem.

I think the response is 'events' and while most governments have difficulty mid terms I expect by early 23 things may be clearer
    Yes, but there are lots more events coming, and a man with the memory of a goldfish to cope with it all.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

And THE SANDWICH
    And SANDWICH SPREAD for that matter.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

End of times

And the painting over of the murals. And the smashing of the windows.

Are there many good examples left to visit of what parish churches looked like in England before all that change to them?
    That is why the Reformation was such a political event. It was our own Cultural Revolution. Smash the Four Olds!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

And THE SANDWICH
    God, not had that since prep school. A sort of nightmare riff on coleslaw. Still made, almost unbelievably.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Okay. 😺

How way off am I?
    No the reformation was fundamentally political one. Does the King decide what is preached, and passed down by a hierarchical Church. Or does an educated congregation take lessons straight from the source and decide?

It is no coincidence that both our roundheads and the Dutch Republics were Reformed Protestants. It is the beginnings of democracy in the modern era.
    That came later.

The initial dispute was more whether Faith alone was enough to save a person from damnation, or if they needed an intermediary, in the person of the priest to achieve salvation.

It took a while for the Protestants to give up on attempting to enforce their own interpretation of doctrine onto others.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Okay. 😺

How way off am I?

The Church of England of course itself a classic English compromise between the Roman Catholic hierarchical model and the Dutch Reformed Protestant model. A Protestant church free from the authority of the Pope but still a Catholic and apostolic church with Bishops
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

And THE SANDWICH
    God, not had that since prep school. A sort of nightmare riff on coleslaw. Still made, almost unbelievably.
    Nightmare riff on vomit and coleslaw.

But strangely delicious. Or perhaps it has grown more attractive in the absence.
  • Options

Oh FFS

NEW: An MP - I think it was Bill Cash - just objected to the standards motion (finally approving the committee's findings on Owen Paterson) meaning the motion falls and the government will have to reschedule

He should be thrown out of the party

Dinosaur
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Oh FFS

Good news. Keep digging.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

BBC news reporting he was a former Syrian refugee with mental health issues
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    WRT the Reformation, I see it as similar to the Inconoclasm of the eighth century. A rejection of idolatry, and a desire to revert to what its leaders saw as a simpler, purer, form of Christianity.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,469
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

BBC news reporting he was a former Syrian refugee with mental health issues
    When you watch the video, it's amazing that the taxi driver survived.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    Cicero said:

Omnium said:

I still do not understand how on Gods green Earth the HS project can cost over £120 billion, Even the most expensive TGV line in France only came to €20 million per km. We are projecting a cost that is over twenty times this. We are told that the bulk of this cost is in the approach tunnels to Euston, so it is even more insane to cut the Northern part of the project. The Northern English cities are right to be be spitting feathers, but all of us should be furious that the cost is so far from any sensible number. If the UK continues to f%&k up its infrastructure expenditure like this then the collapse is more advanced that we knew.
    Gold plated elf ‘n’ safety imposed by anti rail civil servants who still bow down each morning to the great god Marples.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Okay. 😺

How way off am I?

Okay. I would have thought the key word was Protest as in Protestant

What is the protest? simply the right to read it for themselves or decide for themselves, or a protest about about fundamental bits of it…

Like how much magic is acceptable, and how much magic is wrong for the church to continue to preach and make money from?

To strengthen my point, I put to the reasoning behind painting over murals and smashing stained glass windows - they are surely in protest over specifics?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    DougSeal said:

Great idea. Best of luck. Enjoy!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

The story seems to have changed so that the hospital was the intended target all along. Also, if the dead, possibly mentally-ill terrorist made the device himself, why has the threat-level been raised? The BBC report suggests it is just that there is a lot of it about rather than a direct connection between this and the Amess murder. We might need to wait for a more coherent tale to emerge.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

And THE SANDWICH
    The brown sticky consistency… the stuff of nightmares. Only the sickly pink fish paste was worse…
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Sport should always be competitive and entrance into competitions earnt on merit. Reserved clubs or countries or anything else aren't sporting.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

Pisspoor stuff from the government. Really pisspoor.

HS2 has gone from ambitious grand vision to connect the seven great cities of the north and midlands - Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Leeds and Newcastle - to the European high speed network to salami sliced farce and fudge.

Just build the thing properly already - both arms, all seven cities, and a direct thrulink to HS1. But, these cowboys won’t.

Enough.

The decision to do HS2 was one of the few things I liked about this government. There's not much left now for me.
This discussion has been closed.